Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Makes absolutely no difference.

It is against the rules to retaliate.

Almost every red card in the game is a reaction to some sort of provocation like that.

Which the northern teams excell at! AOS was just belted and belted and it was shameful Derry display in that regard imo. Even the management on the sideline tried to have a go at one stage. The tit that ran on to argue with the ref ffs.....

I'm fecked amd hoarse after that, was a real roller coaster pushed to the limit.

Cramps all over the pitch but the fittest team won. We got our usual number of wides but they were much closer wides than usual :)

On we go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mayo won't be too long in the Championship unless they dramatically improve. That was a poor performance against a bad Derry team. Mayo seemed to panic when near the goal near the end of ordinary time and it took a new young lad to get them out of trouble as the experienced players shunned chance after chance and seemed to panic in front of the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

So from maybe being out for the season , Aidan O Shea played near 100 mins today. He was very good today and brought some much needed intensity and steel when it was needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

We pulled through, thats all that counts. Guy gave Conor Loftus MOTM??:confused: Yes was a great goal but I thought Aidan O Shea had his best game in the jersey for...well ever. Real tough game with some bad wides but we live to fight another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

PARlance wrote: »
    Just in the door... had to sit through that with 5 kids under 10. It was hard to watch between the toilet breaks.

Ya have to pay for your pleasure:D:D:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

franklyon wrote: »
    We pulled through, thats all that counts. Guy gave Conor Loftus MOTM??:confused: Yes was a great goal but I thought Aidan O Shea had his best game in the jersey for...well ever. Real tough game with some bad wides but we live to fight another day.

I'd have given it to O'Shea as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Richardsons Muff

Christ...could have been a lovely summer without having to listen you lot. It's like losing an all ireland final, you know the feeling well 😔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

statto25 wrote:
    So from maybe being out for the season , Aidan O Shea played near 100 mins today. He was very good today and brought some much needed intensity and steel when it was needed.

AOS was very good today. There wasn't much put up to him but he was constant and kept Mayo in the game, himself and Parsons were responsible for Derry going short and their keeper collapsed under the pressure

Still came close to losing that game, some of the guys tagging on scores at the end missed earlier opportunities in normal time when it was close.

Great goal to go two points up in the second half, Mayo back line was Rocky under a high ball again, goal and a penno given away from it.

Parsons looks on form. Doesn't look good for Keegan he looked to be in serious pain.

O'Shea won the game for Mayo today, miles above the rest of the squad at the moment. He covered the whole pitch, some of the others were an embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Lots to chew on for the management team after that. Leaving aside who'll be out due to injury and suspension, Loftus and Doherty surely have earned a start the next day. I thought it was interesting to see Crowe make an appearance for Barrett. We need a bit more size back there or we'll have a short summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

One of the strangest games I've ever been at. Will post more later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Panrich wrote: »
    Lots to chew on for the management team after that. Leaving aside who'll be out due to injury and suspension, Loftus and Doherty surely have earned a start the next day. I thought it was interesting to see Crowe make an appearance for Barrett. We need a bit more size back there or we'll have a short summer

What position does Crowe usually play?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

What position does Crowe usually play?

Centre back but he has a fair bit of physical presence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not going to rush to watch the TV coverage but my god that was awful for long periods. Junior football stuff. I nearly walked out when Tom Parsons ballooned a ball from about 35 yards out in the second half. One of many terrible shots on display.

No real clue what we're at in attack. I'm a massive fan but Andy isn't getting out in front as much, or as easily, as before. It took a Durcam point and the introduction of Loftus towards the end of normal time to lift the gloom. Loftus needs to be thrown in from the start, something different is needed.

Boyle and Caff weren't great at all.

Their keeper was dodgy, it was good to see the "full court press" that Kerry unleashed on Dublin last year in action. It was something that was and will be needed if we hope to contend.

Fair play to Aidan. Thought he was one of the positives. He needs to be fouled twice as much as others to get his free. Was good to see him rotated a bit but didn't think he was close enough to goal when moved in.

Exciting finish but another line just about scraped over. Not sure what I'm surprised about, it is never easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Its simple. Drop Andy. He is finished. Had a headstart going for a ball in the 2nd half and the Derry defender beat him too it.

I thought our midfield poor. No tackles going in. Derry were running through us with ease

Mc loughlin was shocking. Awful wides.

O Shea had a great game.

The ref was poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Do we know who they play next yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TommyDe

statto25 wrote:

Because he was left in his favourite (and best) position - midfield.
    He was immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Bloody delighted I was to see those goals go in, especially young Loftus. It's been awhile seeing proper goals like that scored by Mayo. Gives a bit of hope that there are some promising inside forwards in the county. Not to mention the revitalised introduction of Jason Doherty in his proper position.

Some of the selections were baffling ie Coen at 12 is crazy, lad is a full back. But hopefully the team find something new now. Inside forward line of Loftus and Doherty for start is the way forward. Lads playing in their natural positions and go from there.

Might be over soon enough but we're still in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

irishgeo wrote: »
    Its simple. Drop Andy. He is finished. Had a headstart going for a ball in the 2nd half and the Derry defender beat him too it.

I thought our midfield poor. No tackles going in. Derry were running through us with ease

Mc loughlin was shocking. Awful wides.

O Shea had a great game.

The ref was poor.

Not to nitpick but two points.

Andy is being relied on far too much. There's times there when he is the only man to hit because he's the only one to make an intelligent run. This has been going on for far too long now. I agree he doesn't have the burst of pace anymore but he doesn't have the chance to conserve energy. Andy is still capable of influencing games for us.

McLoughlin wasn't awful, he's just being played far too far forward. Any good he done today was the result of him dropping deeper and hunting for the ball. He needs to be played half forward or even at half back, so he can get on the ball and make things happen.

The place was rocking when Loftus got that goal. Haven't heard that kind of noise in Castlebar in a long time. Think it was the frustration of watching our shooting and the relief combined. Still nearly threw it away after all that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

As has been mentioned, field players in their positions. McLoughlin and Coen are not forwards.

O'Shea was immense today playing in his favoured position. My MOTM.

Gal44 wrote: »

Round 3A draw Monday morning (just after 8.30) on RTE Radio 1.

As to the match itself, we dug ourselves out of a hole eventually, but I'd be worried about the defense going forward. Amount of times Derry simply ran though would be worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Gal44 wrote: »

AFAIK Clare, Donegal or Meath. Should have the beating of any of them but then would have said that about Derry...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

PressRun wrote: »
    One of the strangest games I've ever been at. Will post more later.

Same as,shall post tomorrow after a few well earned drinks.A most bizarre affair.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

That was a head wreck.
    The good:
    AOS - his best game in a long time.
    Seamus - was solid, strong and powerful when he came on.
    Loftus- Strong running and played well.
    Clarke - good saves, did the job on the penalty. Decent kickouts.
    DOC - wasn't bad
    Boland - still learning, good engine.
    Coen - Out of position, can't expect him to perform.
    We won.

The bad:
    Caff is at sea, won very little.
    Boyler - played as a sweeper of Caff, his man ran riot.
    Durkan - Deserved red, can't do it and indefensible.
    Parsons - lost too much ball.
    Vaughan - not at the races.
    McLaughlin - too many turn overs and shot selection was junior level.
    Management - hard to figure what they were at in the 1st half. No drives forward, Boyle as sweeper leaving his man the freedom to score 2 and create 3 in the 1st half. COC given all bar one of the freekicks when the wind suited a left footed player. Coen is not a forward.

Ref and officials - time after time AOS was pulled down, punched, dragged off and on the ball. Only got frees around the middle. 2 penalty shouts, one was blatant. Derry penalty as soft as you see. Keegan was teed up and take out, more than a yellow. Had a general mare totally. Got the red right, gas how they missed all the other slaps off the ball. McLaughs got a punch into the stomach on the 13 yrd line on a Mayo free. He had a word with the Derry lad, yet the rest never seen it.

A win is a win. We aren't going great, lazy, poor decisions, direction less. I can't see us last too much longer unless we get a bullet in the arse.
    But we go on regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I didn't get to see the game. The various pieces I heard and snippets here indicate a roller coaster of a game that we should have lost. All for Loftus and his opportunism.

One niggling question - was Higgins a loss? Could he have steadied the ship somewhat as Boyler and Caff were out of their comfort zones as a result?

finisklin wrote: »
    I didn't get to see the game. The various pieces I heard and snippets here indicate a roller coaster of a game that we should have lost. All for Loftus and his opportunism.

One niggling question - was Higgins a loss? Could he have steadied the ship somewhat as Boyler and Caff were out of their comfort zones as a result?

I don't think Higgins was a loss today, corner back wasn't the problem. He will be badly needed next week though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

yop wrote: »

A win is a win. We aren't going great, lazy, poor decisions, direction less. I can't see us last too much longer unless we get a bullet in the arse.
    But we go on regardless.

Let's just hope the end of normal time and extra time was that. No denying Derry were goosed but when Mayo have their tails up like that I think they can do that against most opposition.

Meath now in the draw please

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Let's just hope the end of normal time and extra time was that. No denying Derry were goosed but when Mayo have their tails up like that I think they can do that against most opposition.

Meath now in the draw please

Home draw against anyone and I'm happy. Hopefully Meath though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Do people still want O shea dropped to the bench as an impact sub cos he is only a 50 minute man at best ?
    No?
    Ok so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

km79 wrote: »
    Do people still want O shea dropped to the bench as an impact sub cos he is only a 50 minute man at best ?
    No?
    Ok so ;)

Nonsense if the highest order when it was posted. And by some regular posters too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

km79 wrote: »
    No?
    Ok so ;)

answered your own question , either leave him i midfield or full forward and dont keep moving him around the place , playing him center forward is a total joke few years back he was the best midfielder in the country , if he is lacking pace or fitness do a donaghey on it and stick him full forward , i cant really see where a debate should arise over him , still a top player

Just watching it again. Dessie Dolan at HT: "7 or 8 of this Mayo team are 32-33" How do these guys gets jobs with RTE.

From the starting team: Clarke and Moran are the only two that fit into that category, Boyle is 31 afaik. I don't think there was another 30 year old that started or came on... Seamie & Tom might be boardline but I think they're both 29 still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

answered your own question , either leave him i midfield or full forward and dont keep moving him around the place , playing him center forward is a total joke few years back he was the best midfielder in the country , if he is lacking pace or fitness do a donaghey on it and stick him full forward , i cant really see where a debate should arise over him , still a top player

Quoted the wrong poster in the last post. So your telling me the head boss man New he had that performance in him tonight after the last couple of club games and with his club games performance in recent weeks there is now way you could start him on the back of that if u can't do it for your club what are the chances u do it for county.
    I am delight he did what he did to night we needed a big man to stannd up

If i iam being honest that had to be the worst 70 mins of mayo football I have sat threw and I have being at a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

naughto wrote: »
    Quoted the wrong poster in the last post. So your telling me the head boss man New he had that performance in him tonight after the last couple of club games and with his club games performance in recent weeks there is now way you could start him on the back of that if u can't do it for your club what are the chances u do it for county.

If i iam being honest that had to be the worst 70 mins of mayo football I have sat threw and I have being at a lot

He has been doing it for his county for years. He is along with Cillian and Lee Keegan one of our most important players
    Some people just seem to have a problem with him for some reason...........again I'll say we are lucky to have him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

naughto wrote:

The shooting was shocking alright, Fielding and running the ball was not that bad though

Just look at this if you have any doubt about the depths Derry were prepared to descend to, to damage Diamuid O'Connor and other players. There's fisticuffs and then there's the gutter.

You can't play football against a team that has a gameplan that dosn't include football.

1343386.jpg

421262.JPG

naughto wrote: »

qualifiers are not about performance it all about momentum , our hurlers have used it as a springboard for several years now to compeate in the all ireland

you will always have bad days when you win in these type of games , its complete catch 22 , you are playing a team thats division 3 next year if you win by 10 "its only derry " if you struggle "its a bad days work"

AOD is a serious midfielder at inter county level surly what he dose at his club position wise should not matter , lee keegan or kevin mccgloughan would be good examples of that

Oldtree wrote: »
    Just look at this if you have any doubt about the depths Derry were prepared to descend to, to damage Diamuid O'Connor and other players. There's fisticuffs and then there's the gutter.

1343386.jpg

421262.JPG

it happens in several situations in different levels in gaa , whats the solution let the lads on the sunday game have a 30 minute dabate about it ...or move on , i highly doubt killian is too worried about it tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I said last week that this team would not fill us with confidence.

Well they went a step further and are now trying to drain the last ounce of confidence out of us.

I seriously thought that was lost, after the umpteenth wide I thought that it over.

I've never seen such a terrible display of shooting before in my life.

And the problem is, for all their great work tonight, Loftus and Doherty will probably suck next week.

• Advertisement

it happens in several situations in different levels in gaa , whats the solution let the lads on the sunday game have a 30 minute dabate about it ...or move on , i highly doubt killian is too worried about it tonight

Ffs he's trying to gouge out David's eye!!! Do that on the street and it's a serious assault. Would any of ye teach that to.our younger players as an ok and acceptable thing to do.

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

Oldtree wrote: »
    Ffs he's trying to gouge out David's eye!!! Do that on the street and it's a serious assault. Would any of ye teach that to.our younger players as an ok and acceptable thing to do.

It's all fun and he's until someone loses an eye.

yes you are right , but you are talking about players who have been in the gym for this for the last 10 months , who have been expecting this type of hassle for the same number of time ect , i hardly it was a one sided argument either , if the player has a problem let him make a complaint , ect ,

you dont teach kids to do it ,but its a tough game where players careers are on the line something is going to give , the way the championship has gone you would need joe duffy presenting the sunday game rather then michael leister or des cahil

yes you are right , but you are talking about players who have been in the gym for this for the last 10 months , who have been expecting this type of hassle for the same number of time ect , i hardly it was a one sided argument either , if the player has a problem let him make a complaint , ect ,

you dont teach kids to do it ,but its a tough game where players careers are on the line something is going to give , the way the championship has gone you would need joe duffy presenting the sunday game rather then michael leister or des cahil

Are you having a laugh? Are you telling me it's OK to stick not one but two fingers into an opposing players eye because it's a "tough game" Absolute bollocks. Regardless if Diarmuid did something untoward that sort of **** is beyond a joke.

I do appreciate it is a hard tough game. Mayo are no shrinking violets but over the years their skills have won through. if you don't have the same level of skill or fitness on the day against say Dublin or kerry yes it can get a bit more on the physical side, But there had to be a line and for me the line is eyes. That's somthing them do!

While I agree that there's a lot of fuss made these days, you have make a distinction and say that it's totally unacceptable to be gouging someone's eye. It looks bad from that picture, if video backs it up, then he should get the book thrown at him.

No excuses for that at all. Hit a shoulder, give a few digs etc etc but that carry on is something a scumbag would do.

Was Emmett McGuckin no 14 and he was specifically mentioned before the match as one to watch for trouble. So known for it and clearly tolerated by the Derry management who also did themselves a disservice today too.

statto25 wrote: »
    Are you having a laugh? Are you telling me it's OK to stick not one but two fingers into an opposing players eye because it's a "tough game" Absolute bollocks. Regardless if Diarmuid did something untoward that sort of **** is beyond a joke.

did you read any of my comment or just some of it , it hardly was a one sided argument , yes eye gouging is wrong but what rules exactly exist between a scuffle in the middle of a game ?

PARlance wrote: »
    While I agree that there's a lot of fuss made these days, you have make a distinction and say that it's totally unacceptable to be gouging someone's eye. It looks bad from that picture, if video backs it up, then he should get the book thrown at him.

No excuses for that at all. Hit a shoulder, give a few digs etc etc but that carry on is something a scumbag would do.

yes no excueses for eye gouging but it didnt just happen out of chance ,

did you read any of my comment or just some of it , it hardly was a one sided argument , yes eye gouging is wrong but what rules exactly exist between a scuffle in the middle of a game ?

What did Diarmuid do to provoke such a reaction ?

statto25 wrote: »
    What did Diarmuid do to provoke such a reaction ?

so ....there is rules now in a of the cuff scuffle in the middle of a high octane game of football where your season rests on the next 70 minutes even your career

if a fight breaks out in the field anything goes , and dont worry there are no saints involved either

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement