Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

so ....there is rules now in a of the cuff scuffle in the middle of a high octane game of football where your season rests on the next 70 minutes even your career

if a fight breaks out in the field anything goes , and dont worry there are no saints involved either

I don't care what went before, no player should stick his fingers into another players eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

statto25 wrote: »
    I don't care what went before, no player should stick his fingers into another players eye.

look you are right , no player sets out to do that , it all happened in a moment , the derry player in qustion will surly be embarresed when he sees it , but whats the point in hanging him out to dry on the sunday game or in the media ,

all that crap is ridiculous if mayo people are serious about wining an all ireland , an isolated incident that happened yesterday should hardly be a problem ,

i seriously cant get over the reaction to this , things like this happen every week in gaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,360 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

look you are right , no player sets out to do that , it all happened in a moment , the derry player in qustion will surly be embarresed when he sees it , but whats the point in hanging him out to dry on the sunday game or in the media ,

all that crap is ridiculous if mayo people are serious about wining an all ireland , an isolated incident that happened yesterday should hardly be a problem ,

i seriously cant get over the reaction to this , things like this happen every week in gaa

Your posts that were trying to excuse the incident are getting more of a reaction than the incident itself.

I don't even know who the offending player was nor do I care. If it's found that he did do it on purpose, throw the book at him. Himself or Derry aren't of any concern anymore but that doesn't mean scumbag behaviour should be accepted / excused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

No they fu1cking don't what sort of games do u go to. 12 weeks will not be enough for this p1rick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

franklyon wrote: »
    We pulled through, thats all that counts. Guy gave Conor Loftus MOTM??:confused: Yes was a great goal but I thought Aidan O Shea had his best game in the jersey for...well ever. Real tough game with some bad wides but we live to fight another day.

As they said on the broadcast they picked Loftus because his two scores changed the game.

Mayo were so inconsistent they could not find anyone else.

As they said on the broadcast they picked Loftus because his two scores changed the game.

Clarke or O'Shea should have got it

Is there anything out about Leroy how bad is the injury

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TommyDe

did you read any of my comment or just some of it , it hardly was a one sided argument , yes eye gouging is wrong but what rules exactly exist between a scuffle in the middle of a game ?

Have you ever had someone stick their finger into your eye? It's frightening and your eye won't be right for a week after it. A couple of mm more in would be all it takes to lose the sight in it.

This is a serious question as your talking it down; but are you well in the head?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Got to admit, if I was from Mayo, my legs would be jelly after watching a game like that! As it is, I worry about Dublin not getting tested for ages and then being caught cold by a team with more desire, but you guys get my respect for just being able to walk after that!

Not very versed on how Mayo are going outside of when you play Dublin, but from what I saw, Aidan O'Shea had a stormer. Seemed to pop up everywhere, and not in a bad way, he was always affecting the game.

I wonder if Andy Moran isn't more suited to be an impact sub at this stage, an immense player, but surely he's lost a bit of pace?

Do you guys have good forwards coming through from the underage teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Very true, but Aidan O Shea was anything but inconsistent, he pulled this Mayo team through yesterday, I wouldn't be his biggest fan but he deserved MOTM.
    On another note, how is Lee Keegan? I heard yesterday was just taken off after a bad knock and nothing long term. Hoping this is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ciaran Whelan put the nail on the head,the lads confidence is shot at the moment.Derry are a very average team whom Tyrone put to the sword with relative ease.That being said I do not believe that this team has become a bad team overnight.In spite the sheer awfulness of the performance for 65 minutes or so they dominated the contest.

Hopefully we'll get a home draw on Monday,any favours from the Gods are to be gladly accepted.Sligo or Meath at home would be met with open arms.I would not fancy a trip up to Ballybofey or Cusack Park.

The full back line is under serious pressure,Ger Cafferkey is really struggling at full back,Chris Barrett was very solid in the corner.But both men struggle under the high ball,I dread to think what damage a Kieran Donaghy like player could inflict.

If as seems likely Paddy Durkan is gone for a month,two games.He is a huge loss I'd like to see Shane Nally see more game time in the half back line.We can't afford to lose Lee Keegan,hoping that the fact he did'nt require the stretcher might be a good omen.Yet again when a man was needed to step up he was not found wanting on a day when even the best of Mayo players was no more than average.

Tom Parsons workrate and highfielding was exceptional but similar to Colm Boyle his accuracy of footpassing and shooting like the whole team needs working on.Primarily a lack of confidence that could be so easily rectified by one good day out.

Well done to Aidan O Shea,there was no evidence of any impediment to his performance due to that groin injury.Aidan really stood up,won some vital ball in the middle and when switched inside layed off some nice ball.Although he was inclined to barge on occasion.

The forwards are as always what is be the winning and losing of contests for us.I think the management are far too slow to make switches,Donal Vaughan is quite an athlete but I'm not so sure there was a lot of constructive end product.Stephen Coen is primarily a half back/midfielder and no forward.

I am on the side of those that believe Andy Moran should not start but Andy is a fantastic player to have in your armoury as an impact substitute for the last twenty minutes.

Delighted for Conor Loftus who I believe is the most talented young forward coming through,he has demonstrated his potential at minor,under 21 and senior level when given decent game time.He alongside Jason Doherty must come in to the reckoning as starters the next day out.Conor's cameo yesterday was sublime.He has the vision of a young Kieran McDonald from what I have seen thus far of him.

I think we have all said it before but please let us never see Kevin Mc take a free on the right side again.Cillian O Connor freetaking is still exceptional although not as good as a few years previous.Kevin Mc is a much more likely to score when he has no time to think.Amongst the team he is the most obvious confidence player and hopefully will get a shot in the arm with a few handy scores.

How about putting Donal Vaughan in full back?Just a curveball,Ger Caff will be given more to get rid of all those cobwebs after his long layoff.He's bound to be a bit ring rusty.Presumably Keith Higgins will slot into the half backline.I'd be inclined to start Shane Nally ahead of Donal Vaughan in place of Paddy Durkan.That soft centre of ours has been a recurring theme for years that has yet to be resolved with or without sweepers.I suppose many of the top teams are vulnerable when one runs at them.

I can't see Fergal Boland holding onto his place,Diarmuid O Connor was one of the more effectual forwards yesterday when he was brought on.Nice to see the management appears to be picking the team based on form and I'd have believed they were quite within their rights to drop Diarmuid and Seamie O Shea after the Galway game.

A place for Jason Doherty and Conor Loftus must be considered with Andy Moran coming in off the bench.

Re the eye gouging incident,I hope the book is thrown at that player for such a downright despicable act.

I am hoping we will no more acts of indiscipline and the war wounds of Cillian,Lee etc are insignificant.

It's a wonder Bernard Flynn was'nt whining about Aidan O Shea getting a rub down at half time in extra time away from the main group huddle,no team player. In fact it was Aidan who galvanising the players in the huddle before the commencement of extra time.TBH I have never given any countenance to this opinion that Aidan should be used as an impact substitute.

Roll on 8.35 tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

It's time our own lads in the media started highlighting the treatment AOS gets from the opposition.........always looking for a reaction but he never gives it to them.......... absolutely no protection from Deegan yday either.
    If we draw Donegal it should be all we talk about until the game ........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

km79 wrote: »
    It's time our own lads in the media started highlighting the treatment gets from the opposition.........always looking for a reaction but he never gives it to them.......... absolutely no protection from Deegan yday either.
    Are you talking about Aiden O'Shea ?

It's time our own lads in the media started highlighting the treatment gets from the opposition.........always looking for a reaction but he never gives it to them.......... absolutely no protection from Deegan yday either.

I presume you're talking about Aidan?;)
    I agree like many other players he gets insufficient protection and all credit to him never reacts.He was superb yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jasonroche123

Not our best peformance, Looking at the next day we must avoid Ballybofey - As regards our forward divison, O Connor should start next day ahead of Boland who to me is a nice footballer but just not good enough and Loftus in instead of moran, Doherty won't be afr off either.

We seem to lack a plan which is worrying - If Derry were disciplined in tackle we were in trouble as most of our scores arose from frees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Aidan was great yesterday. Attitude, work rate,desire all there and was good on the ball. Need him playing out of his skin if we want to be in Croke Park come August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

One lastpoint that probably got last amidst yday madness
    Kevin mcl should not be on a single free again
    I just don't understand it. It affects him too every time he missed one early he missed easy shots for the rest of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

One lastpoint that probably got last amidst yday madness
    Kevin mcl should not be on a single free again
    I just don't understand it. It affects him too every time he missed one early he missed easy shots for the rest of the game

I'd imagine he's finished with frees for this year.

Has cillian O'Connor ever kicked frees with his left? I don't recall him ever doing it for Mayo, but maybe he has at club level?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Fully agree, our pundits need to go into full "Dublin whinge" around the treatment that AOS gets, only way to do it. It worked against Keegan last year and now the blessed Connolly. Keep beating the drum and they can't ignore it.

Windy if your serious with your posts then you need to have a chat with yourself, otherwise if thats the level you live to then I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Very strange game. Basic skills lacking with both teams and completely awful shooting tbh, but still highly entertaining. Honestly, I think the main reason we won was because of our superior fitness in extra time. Derry were out on their feet by then and we were able to capitalize on that. For long periods of normal time Mayo seemed to be doing their level best to throw it away and not to keep reiterating the point, but the shooting was utterly dreadful.

AOS had a big game, Cillian was trying to make things happen too but was probably lacking in a bit of luck, hitting the posts a couple of times.

Donal Vaughan was ineffective and Ger Cafferky hasn't gotten back into the swing of things really yet.

Kevin McLoughlin should be kept well away from frees. He doesn't even look like he wants to take them. The one he missed affected his confidence for the rest of the match.

Conor Loftus deserves a shot at starting the next day. His goal was the ballsy move we needed to get back in the game. His movement is good.

We were cut open way too easy at times, Derry players just strolling through the middle with no one putting a glove on them. Why? And are we really fully abandoning the sweeper system with Kevin McLoughlin? He helped our defense issues.

There are​ a lot of problems with the forwards and the fullback position has to be of concern. We got away with it yesterday and our fitness and bench are really what got us through. An awful lot of improving to do and still some injury concerns. Not sure I'd fancy a trip to Donegal next weekend tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Just a sore knock to the shin for Keegan apparently, so he's not a long term doubt. Similarly, I hope to recover by next weekend!

I spent much of the second half thinking back over the good days this team has given us, both in McHale Park and beyond. From that "novelty" provincial final against London, the win against Cork, running in goals for fun against Galway, drawing with the Dubs at the death and getting a measure of revenge against the reigning champions from Donegal. It all flashed before my eyes. But yesterday was not meant to be. Yesterday was not the day the dream ended. We live to fight on for at least another day.

The positives:

Aidan O'Shea - looks back to his best
    Kickouts - we retained a lot of possession from our own ball, and really pressed Derry
    Putting their hands up - some strong showings from our subs, perhaps most tellingly Conor and Jason.

The negatives:

Performance in normal time - we were toothless in ideas going forward. The half forward line failed to impact much, and we failed to convert a large number of scoring opportunities.
    Extra-time - how great a toll this will have taken on the players physically remains to be seen.
    Andy Moran - Unfortunately time is catching up, and calls for him him to revert to role of impact sub appear to be justified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Did anyone notice there was no announcer at McHale yesterday? No announcement of subs, injury time, etc. Was he on a day off ? :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

cocoman wrote: »
    Did anyone notice there was no announcer at McHale yesterday? No announcement of subs, injury time, etc. Was he on a day off ? :)

the left hand side of the stand was out of PA coverage, must have been broke. It seems the right hand side worked! :D

And a word for Paddy Durcan - very stupid from him. We don't need any more absentees for any reason. If Keegan doesn't play next weekend, which he very well might not, we'll be short two of our best half backs. Not ideal if we end up going to Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:
    TBH I have never given any countenance to this opinion that Aidan should be used as an impact substitute.

To be fair some have pushed that agenda, However AOS was my MOTM yesterday.

However one of the main reasons people suggest impact sub was because he starts games better than he finishes. In recognising that modern teams finish with their best team, the idea was that AOS struggles to keep the energy levels up against the top 5.

So if we look at that Derry team, to say AOS has it in the tank to finish strongly against say Kerry or Dublin on the basis that he lasted through extra time against a Derry team that was bunched with 15 minutes to go and had lost a starting midfielder so early would be slightly naive IMO.

Stoner wrote: »
    To be fair some have pushed that agenda, However AOS was my MOTM yesterday.

However one of the main reasons people suggest impact sub was because he starts games better than he finishes. In recognising that modern teams finish with their best team, the idea was that AOS struggles to keep the energy levels up against the top 5.

So if we look at that Derry team, to say AOS has it in the tank to finish strongly against say Kerry or Dublin on the basis that he lasted through extra time against a Derry team that was bunched with 15 minutes to go and had lost a starting midfielder so early would be slightly naive IMO.

Yip totally get that train of thought but in the end there's no way we can afford not to start Aidan O Shea.

I'd agree with you Stoner. Aidan was immense yesterday and showed great leadership. It's the best performance I've seen from him in a while.
    But to suggest that his performance against a gassed Derry team is indicative of what he could do against a team with the fitness of Dublin is not a realistic comparison. Aidan is a great player with loads of potential, but he won't have it as easy as he did yesterday against teams with stronger midfields.
    I do think however that midfield is his best position, and I've long said so. It's where he looks most comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

PressRun wrote: »
    I'd agree with you Stoner. Aidan was immense yesterday and showed great leadership. It's the best performance I've seen from him in a while.
    But to suggest that his performance against a gassed Derry team is indicative of what he could do against a team with the fitness of Dublin is not a realistic comparison. Aidan is a great player with loads of potential, but he won't have it as easy as he did yesterday against teams with stronger midfields.
    I do think however that midfield is his best position, and I've long said so. It's where he looks most comfortable.

Agreed. You can't judge players against lower division opposition. Unfortunately for O'Shea in recent years his performances and influence diminish the further into the championship he goes to the point he's often a bystander come AI final or semi-finals.

I'd nearly prefer if he was sh*te in the early rounds and brilliant at the business end of the championship.

Having said that, he's not the only one. There are a couple of Mayo players who are usually outstanding at this time of year, make themselves almost undroppable and in the really big games are just taking up space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

"It's a tough game", "It all happened in a moment", "Things like this happen every week in gaa".

None of which makes it in anyway acceptable. Contact sports are all played with a level of aggression that always leaves the potential for incidents. However, everyone who's playing contact sports knows that there's a line. Striking a man in the testicles crosses the line (and Higgin's was rightly banned for this), contact with the eyes crosses the line. No amount of aggression involved is an excuse for a discusting act like this. I've played football and currently play hurling and no matter how revved up I've been (and i've been very revved up at times), I'd never make intentional contact with someones eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

yop wrote: »
    the left hand side of the stand was out of PA coverage, must have been broke. It seems the right hand side worked! :D

I was on the left hand side of the stand, there were definitely some people that left not realising that it was going to extra time with no PA system to inform them otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Thought that Higgins was badly missed yday,When the game opened up our kick passing was good which was great to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

yop wrote: »

That is so "Hyde Park".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

Any idea who mayo may meet in the next round?

pimpmyhat wrote: »
    Any idea who mayo may meet in the next round?

Meath,Donegal or Clare.

Ladies are getting a bit of a trimming.

Mayo 1-5
    Galway 3-10

20 minutes left.

Full Time

Mayo 1-8
    Galway 3-12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

seligehgit wrote: »
    Meath,Donegal or Clare.

Ladies are getting a bit of a trimming.

Mayo 1-5
    Galway 3-10

20 minutes left.

I think any of those teams could do a number on mayo based on what we saw in the derry game. There needs to be dramatic changes in the forward line.
    We have too many workhorse "forwards" and not enough who can put the ball over the bar. At most we need one forward whose main role is to link the play yet we seem to have 3 or 4 who only want to go sideways or back and have no interest in kicking points. As long as this continues we won't go far in the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

mayo.mick wrote: »

That will be interesting. That will mean Clare off to Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

Not normally known as a great pitch, but Thought it looked in fantastic condition on tv., anyone at the game think the same?

Not normally known as a great pitch, but Thought it looked in fantastic condition on tv., anyone at the game think the same?

Pitch was in great condition, I spent 65 mins with my head in my hands staring down at it.

• Advertisement

Meath, Donegal, Clare in that order is my preference. I just think that Clare are exactly the kind of team that could cause us problems. They're the form team of that trio and could catch us a bit flat. We'll raise our game vs the other two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

mayo.mick wrote: »

had me going too great post , must have had a skinfull like myself last night with my mans game comment , apologizes , it was an appalling incident by the derry player

Clare v Mayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Trying to find B&B is Ennis is impossible,.

Not an ideal draw tbh.

Tricky assignment but if the lads can up their game and perform like we know they can I would be relatively confident of us getting out of Cusack Park alive.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Tricky assignment but if the lads can up their game and perform like we know they can I would be relatively confident of us getting out of Cusack Park alive.

If we put over half the number of pints we missed yesterday we should be grand. Glad we missed Donegal

naughto wrote: »
    If we put over half the number of pints we missed yesterday we should be grand. Glad we missed Donegal

We will be steamed..... :D:D :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Trying to find B&B is Ennis is impossible,.

Try air b and b, i just booked now, plenty available. I was trying hotels last night and everywhere was fully booked.

We'll definitely need to have a lot more accurate shooting and we'll probably have to look at the sweeper situation. Clare are a better team than Derry so any repeat of the nonsense we saw for 65 minutes on Saturday and it's curtains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

If we have any legitimate hopes on winning Sam, this is the sort of challenge we should relish.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement