Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Ennis is probably the biggest dump of a county ground in the whole country.

But it will have a great buzz to it.

A happy hunting ground for Cafferkey, Higgins, Seamus O' Shea, Barry Moran, Conor Loftus, Diarmuid O Connor in their youth.

Have I left anyone out ?

Four other lads. C Barrett, C Boyle; S Coen; F Boland.

Kerry with 14 men for all of the 2nd half outscored and beat Clare by 6 points in Ennis a few weeks ago. In the final NFL game where both had something to play for Meath beat Clare by 12 points in Ennis in April. Clare are conceding on average 1-14 per game this year. While Mayo only conceded 0-15 v Galway and 1-13 in 90 mins v Derry. All known logic points to a Mayo win and probably a more comfortably win than the one against Derry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

PARlance wrote: »
    Any comment to go along with the image?

A long ball launched into the square is the goalkeepers responsibility all day long. He should have been up there with arms and legs flying, as he normally does so effectively. He was caught flat footed. The book starts and stops with Clarke on that for me.

I'd disagree. Cafferky should have being in Clarkes position . He should have prevented the full forward from getting a run . He should have protected the area outside of the 6 yard line .

what should have happened and I'm allowing for cafferky to be beaten , cafferky prevents the forward from getting a strong leap outside of the 6 yard lines and this would allow Clarke to clear and take both cafferky and the Derry forward out of it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

km79 wrote: »
    I stopped reading when I seen Seamie full back

We could put Cillian in goals and bring him up to take the frees, that way we'd have space for an extra forward ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I would have more faith in Seamie, Caff just too soft back there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I stopped reading when I seen Seamie full back

How long before someone suggests that we missed out on McStay/McHale ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

How long before someone suggests that we missed out on McStay/McHale ?

Nah. I'd say it was McStay/McHale who dodged the bullet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

yep leave Cafferkey there and see how we fare in the championship.

The team that started against Derry was clearly not fit for purpose except in the eyes of blinkered supporters who never see anything wrong with Mayo.

Definition of insanity is to repeat the same things over and over and expect a different outcome.

We are as it stands and with the current selection on course for another failed campaign.

The cycle will continue again next year, same players, same selection, same result. But unfortunately there is no telling some people.

Can i ask what same players and what selection exactly is bothering you? You havent mentioned any specifics apart from vague bull**** generalisations, well apart from Cafferky obv and what your answer there?

Donal55 wrote: »

Exactly, who wouldnt rather be losing Connacht finalists than losing AI finalists :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

I tend to agree with the argument that Cafferky isn't a very stable full back. Unfortunately we don't have many other options in the position, unless we try Coen or Vaughan maybe. However there is definitely a place for Caff in the side. The lad has the knack of being in the right place at the right time, fantastic reader in defence and he's a solid tackler. They are sort of the attributes required for the infamous sweeper role. Does lack the required pace to play there though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

Donal55 wrote: »

They have done well so far with there fun bus
    Loose sunday which I expect to happen
    And they could both jack it in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TommyDe

yop wrote:
    Coen would be the only candidate I'd have for the FB position, height and strenght and instinct. Playing him where he is is only a waster. Like playing Boyle where he was Sat night and the Sunday Game pundits had the same thoughts that I had on that lunacy. We are making our own problems by idiotic tactics, playing lads out of position.

yop wrote:
    That was Clarkes ball all day. It was a bad goal to give up

Agree with the first bit.
    But if Cafferkey or coen play we need Kevin Mcloughlin to sweep in the absence of Higgins.

No way was that clarkes ball. it always favoured the forward the way it was beautifully floated in (such a ball too). It was a hard ball to judge until it started to dip. Look at Cafferkey 's position in the lead up, lynch was in front of him and just held him at arms length until Clarke was going to get between them. Very clever by lynch and a lovely goal from a great move.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

Sean Hurson has been named to ref the match Saturday.

DD1_mu2XUAINLGl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

My take on Saturday:

Should have been a comfortable win. Wides kicked kept Derry in it. We are overreacting in here to be honest. Solid performances from Clarke, Barrett, Harrison, Keegan, Durcan (apart from red of course).

Aidan O'Shea is getting his own paragraph. Absolutely immense. I'd go as far as saying one of his best ever performances. The argument for putting him midfield is now better than ever. Parsons very good too.

Forwards worked scoring chances well and won their ball well. But shooting was disgraceful, especially second half. Can't defend it in any way. Doherty and Loftus have to start in Ennis. Anyway. Onwards and upwards. First qualifier was never gonna be easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

My take on Saturday:

Should have been a comfortable win. Wides kicked kept Derry in it. We are overreacting in here to be honest. Solid performances from Clarke, Barrett, Harrison, Keegan, Durcan (apart from red of course).

Aidan O'Shea is getting his own paragraph. Absolutely immense. I'd go as far as saying one of his best ever performances. The argument for putting him midfield is now better than ever. Parsons very good too.

Forwards worked scoring chances well and won their ball well. But shooting was disgraceful, especially second half. Can't defend it in any way. Doherty and Loftus have to start in Ennis. Anyway. Onwards and upwards. First qualifier was never gonna be easy.

That's the point, they created dozens of chances, fair enough they missed 17 or so, but they still created them.

They can do the exact same v Clare and even if they convert 10% more than they did v Derry they will have no problems.

True it's worrying to see their inefficiency in fort of the posts, but they are making the chances and will continue to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

LOL I'd say 28000 is closer to the population of Ennis than the stadiums capacity

Not a word of a lie in my post ;):)
    Have a look here
    http://www.clare.gaa.ie/cusak-park

Any parking hints for Ennis please. And roughly where's the entrance, thank you :)

True it's worrying to see their inefficiency in fort of the posts, but they are making the chances and will continue to do so.

I'd like natural kickers like Loftus and Doherty in the half forward line before Coen

Oldtree wrote: »
    Not a word of a lie in my post ;):)
    Have a look here
    http://www.clare.gaa.ie/cusak-park

Perhaps they have forgotten about the health and safety review which put capacity at under 15,000 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Any parking hints for Ennis please. And roughly where's the entrance, thank you :)
    Tesco and Aldi/Lidl (it's one of them) beside the ground with plenty of parking but get there early.
    The entrance to the ground can't be missed from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Ennis will be awkward on Saturday. It's a busy town of a normal Saturday without any match on, not to talk of a big one like this.
    The Gardaí have recently taken a strict stance on illegal match day parking, issuing tickets at one of Clare's Hurling League matches earlier this year.
    My advice for Mayo fans would be to continue to Exit 12 on the Motorway, and come in by the West County Hotel. Go left at the Traffic lights after St. Flannans College and find some street parking after that around the Turnpike area. It's a 15 min walk through the town then by O'Connell St.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Cusack+Park,+Ennis/Turnpike+Rd,+Ennis,+Co.+Clare/@52.8425707,-8.9869629,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x485b6d3203eb2659:0x215b62880b797d9e!2m2!1d-8.9784634!2d52.8466271!1m5!1m1!1s0x485b12d4f0d04583:0xfd3af75630d3b441!2m2!1d-8.9850514!2d52.8385145!3e2
    Most Mayo traffic will be coming in off Exits 13 and 14 and that will be congested.
    Brogans Bar on O'Connell St. or the Old Ground Hotel would be options for food on that walk to the Park.
    Ciarans Bar beside the Queens Hotel is a good spot for pre match pints. But it will be jammed after the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

ureds wrote: »
    Tesco and Aldi/Lidl (it's one of them) beside the ground with plenty of parking but get there early.
    The entrance to the ground can't be missed from there.
    No, not plenty of parking. There will be stewards there preventing match day parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭boosabum

the sherwood restaurant in the tesco shopping center across from aldi/lidl is also a good place for food.
    the tesco carpark is a pay and display so that's an option also for parking

Found a list of council parking in ennis, rates and times.

If all are fit id go with this for Clare:

1. Clarke
    2. Harrison
    3. Cafferkey
    4. Higgins
    5. Boyle
    6. Barrett
    7. Keegan
    8. Parsons
    9. Aidan O'Shea
    10. McLoughlin
    11. Diarmuid O'Connor
    12. Doherty
    13. Loftus
    14. Cillian O'Connor
    15. Andy Moran

Harsh leaving out Boland I know, but Loftus and Doherty deserve their chance now, and especially with the momentum the qualifiers can help you build up then players on form should play IMO.

Wouldn't mind seeing Barrett at 6, to free Keegan up a little for driving forward as we'll have lost Durcan's ability to do this. I'd be hoping to maybe see McLoughlin returning to a sweeper role for two reasons: 1. His confidence in front of goal looks low, 2. Cafferkey looks vulnerable at the moment.

As I said in an earlier post, Aidan O'Shea has to be deployed at midfield now that he's displayed great form there.

Thoughts lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Can anyone tell me how the winners of these qualifiers progress?
    Do they play the winners or losers of the provincial finals? If so which ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

1. Clarke
    2. Harrison
    3. Cafferkey
    4. Higgins
    5. Boyle
    6. Barrett
    7. Keegan
    8. Parsons
    9. Aidan O'Shea
    10. McLoughlin
    11. Diarmuid O'Connor
    12. Doherty
    13. Loftus
    14. Cillian O'Connor
    15. Andy Moran

Harsh leaving out Boland I know, but Loftus and Doherty deserve their chance now, and especially with the momentum the qualifiers can help you build up then players on form should play IMO.

Wouldn't mind seeing Barrett at 6, to free Keegan up a little for driving forward as we'll have lost Durcan's ability to do this. I'd be hoping to maybe see McLoughlin returning to a sweeper role for two reasons: 1. His confidence in front of goal looks low, 2. Cafferkey looks vulnerable at the moment.

As I said in an earlier post, Aidan O'Shea has to be deployed at midfield now that he's displayed great form there.

Thoughts lads?

My thoughts would be that mayo will select their team based on the clare setup.
    I expect oshea to get a tougher examination with brennan in there.
    Id expect Doherty to start in the half forwards.
    And I think that our fb line will continue to struggle until their team mates start protecting the D, like Dublin and Kerry do, and that this is in fact the root of the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

1. Clarke
    2. Harrison
    3. Cafferkey
    4. Higgins
    5. Boyle
    6. Barrett
    7. Keegan
    8. Parsons
    9. Aidan O'Shea
    10. McLoughlin
    11. Diarmuid O'Connor
    12. Doherty
    13. Loftus
    14. Cillian O'Connor
    15. Andy Moran

Thoughts lads?

I don't think that team will be too far off thereal team at all

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

Call me Al wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how the winners of these qualifiers progress?
    Do they play the winners or losers of the provincial finals? If so which ones?

As far as I know, the winners of 3A qualifiers play either Cork or (most likely) Roscommon. I suppose if Roscommon win, Mayo will have to play Cork as they have already played Galway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

I think Doherty deserves a start at corner forward. I watched the game back yesterday and I thought he made a huge difference when he came on. He added pace and he is very physical and strong. His turnovers and tackling are brilliant.
    Wouldn't mind seeing Loftus start in place of Andy, but I wouldn't be surprised if he comes on later when Andy has done enough.
    Midfield​ is and always has been Aidan O'Shea's best position.

• Advertisement

Aidan O'Shea just been named GAA Player of the Week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

PressRun wrote: »
    I think Doherty deserves a start at corner forward. I watched the game back yesterday and I thought he made a huge difference when he came on. He added pace and he is very physical and strong. His turnovers and tackling are brilliant.
    Wouldn't mind seeing Loftus start in place of Andy, but I wouldn't be surprised if he comes on later when Andy has done enough.

If Rochford doesnt start Loftus and Mayo forwards play like they did last Saturday, he will be crucified by Mayo fans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

As far as I know, the winners of 3A qualifiers play either Cork or (most likely) Roscommon. I suppose if Roscommon win, Mayo will have to play Cork as they have already played Galway?

Correct. Neutral venues for round 4. If cork then may possibly be played in Limerick. If Rossies then maybe Salthill :(
    Might be Croke Park if suitable for double header. Played Westmeath in CP last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

cocoman wrote: »
    Correct. Neutral venues for round 4. If cork then may possibly be played in Limerick. If Rossies then maybe Salthill :(
    Might be Croke Park if suitable for double header. Played Westmeath in CP last year.

U2 concerts

PressRun wrote:
    I think Doherty deserves a start at corner forward. I watched the game back yesterday and I thought he made a huge difference when he came on. He added pace and he is very physical and strong. His turnovers and tackling are brilliant. Wouldn't mind seeing Loftus start in place of Andy, but I wouldn't be surprised if he comes on later when Andy has done enough. Midfield​ is and always has been Aidan O'Shea's best position.

The thing with Loftus is... he did finish a cracker of a goal and floated a lovely point. But they were just purely good finishing and nothing more, let's not get carried away with him.. can he win his own ball in corner forward at this level? That's unproven yet, and it's crucial. Can he hold onto possession under tough tackling from a Dublin, Tyrone, Kerry, Donegal defender? These are the bigger questions. He deserves his chance for us to find out these answers though and I hope he gets it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

U2 concerts

Never thought of U2. You must have tickets :)
    That could be tricky if Mayo win on Saturday!!

• Advertisement

The thing with Loftus is... he did finish a cracker of a goal and floated a lovely point. But they were just purely good finishing and nothing more, let's not get carried away with him.. can he win his own ball in corner forward at this level? That's unproven yet, and it's crucial. Can he hold onto possession under tough tackling from a Dublin, Tyrone, Kerry, Donegal defender? These are the bigger questions. He deserves his chance for us to find out these answers though and I hope he gets it.

Well, the only way of knowing is by trying. Like I said, I wouldn't mind seeing him start in place of Andy and see how he gets on, bring in Andy if he's ​struggling. But likewise, I wouldn't​ be surprised if they decide to start with Andy and finish the game with Loftus either. If Loftus is someone who will struggle to win his own ball, bringing him in later when the game has opened up a bit might suit him better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Yeah, my reading of it is if the rossies win, we'll be playing Cork, back in ennis? ( IF IF IF we beat Clare) . Croker is out of action for All Ireland championship football on the 22nd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I can't see Rossies beating Galway. Very mixed year so far for Rossies, while Galway are bang in form.

So likely Mayo v Rossies? In Salthill?

Big one for McStay/McHale, they'd love to beat Mayo, but I think Mayo will have too much for them. After that things will get tough.

(If we beat Clare)

(If we beat Clare)

When........ not if :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,360 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I was calling for Andy to be an impact sub after getting home from the match but I've watched it a couple of times since and I'll retract that.

He wasn't as bad as I thought. In fact, most of what was good came through his movement in the first half. I think it's better for the team to start him. But I would be introducing Doherty for him at around 50 mins.

It was great to see Doherty come on and play good but the context is key, Derry were goosed in extra time.

I think Loftus has to be given his chance now. There is little to lose and a whole pile to gain if he steps up.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote:
    I think Loftus has to be given his chance now. There is little to lose and a whole pile to gain if he steps up.

Very true

Just about to fully rewatch the game myself now, felt crazy at the time watching it, will be interesting to get this second perspective

I was calling for Andy to be an impact sub after getting home from the match but I've watched it a couple of times since and I'll retract that.

He wasn't as bad as I thought. In fact, most of what was good came through his movement in the first half. I think it's better for the team to start him. But I would be introducing Doherty for him at around 50 mins.

It was great to see Doherty come on and play good but the context is key, Derry were goosed in extra time.

I didn't think Andy played particularly badly at the time, but if he is going to be subbed, bringing him on for Loftus or having Loftus come on for him could be a good way of addressing that.
    Derry were goosed in extra time, which put a gloss on everyone's performance, but I think Doherty's physicality and his ability to win dirty ball and hold onto it is actually sorely undervalued by a lot of Mayo supporters. He's one of our best ball winners and tacklers. There was also a time when he was a great goal scorer, but moving him to the half forwards kind of reduced his impact there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

The dilemma we have at the moment is in the forwards and its been our undoing for a while.

Aidan O'Shea at number 8 would allow us to get an extra body in there.

Doherty..Diarmuid..McLoughin

Andy..Cillian..Loftus

The three half forwards have plenty of work rate in them and can deliver good ball. Full forward line has scores in them. MaroonandGreen made a good point about Loftus: he got two crucial scores when we needed them but that shouldn't make him the second coming. I'd like to see him given a chance but there shouldn't be too much pressure heaped on him. I wouldn't write off Regan yet either, he's a good player, if the shots he took against Galway went over then he'd be looked at different - very small margains at this level.

Just about to fully rewatch the game myself now, felt crazy at the time watching it, will be interesting to get this second perspective

Will be interesting to see what you think of Andy. I did a complete U turn. We suffer with the transition into attack at the best of times, having an outlet like him in the first half, when teams / defences are a bit more rigid, is invaluable. He must be a joy to play with.

He has been so good over the last 12-14 months that I think we've started to take it for granted. I did the last day.

Derry seemed to drop an extra man back very quickly for their kickouts that caught us betwixt and between with a lot if pointing going on rather than marking. Need to watch that.

Will be interesting to see what you think of Andy. I did a complete U turn. We suffer with the transition into attack at the best of times, having an outlet like him in the first half, when teams / defences are a bit more rigid, is invaluable. He must be a joy to play with.

He has been so good over the last 12-14 months that I think we've started to take it for granted. I did the last day.

There was a couple of times in the first half where he made a good run but his marker just beat him for pace. The problem is that often he's the only forward making runs close to goal.

The dilemma we have at the moment is in the forwards and its been our undoing for a while.

Aidan O'Shea at number 8 would allow us to get an extra body in there.

Doherty..Diarmuid..McLoughin

Andy..Cillian..Loftus

The three half forwards have plenty of work rate in them and can deliver good ball. Full forward line has scores in them. MaroonandGreen made a good point about Loftus: he got two crucial scores when we needed them but that shouldn't make him the second coming. I'd like to see him given a chance but there shouldn't be too much pressure heaped on him. I wouldn't write off Regan yet either, he's a good player, if the shots he took against Galway went over then he'd be looked at different - very small margains at this level.

Is anyone making him the second coming though? I think people are just suggesting he should be given a shot the next day and see what he can do. We're constantly complaining that we don't have enough up front, so why not give him a try?

On second viewing of the match, I thought our halfbacks weren't overly impressive. I don't think Colm Boyle had a notion of what he was at half the time and Paddy lost his man more than once (despite kicking a great score). Lee was obviously given license to bomb forward, which I'm all for, but there seemed a serious lack of awareness about our halfbacks at times.

I wouldn't write off Regan yet either, he's a good player, if the shots he took against Galway went over then he'd be looked at different - very small margains at this level.

Very small margins indeed but the question I would have is, has Rochford written him off?

He wasn't bringing him on when we badly needed a few scores the last day. For me that's one of two things:

1. Rochford had a big issue with his shot selections against Galway or
    2. Rochford was "protecting" him by not allowing him to be the villian again.

Is anyone making him the second coming though? I think people are just suggesting he should be given a shot the next day and see what he can do. We're constantly complaining that we don't have enough up front, so why not give him a try?

I think there's a bit of hype around him after his cameo on Saturday alright. That tends to happen.

I'm fully on for starting him against Clare btw, I think he's earned it and giving our shooting the last day, I don't see how anyone could have any complaints.
    Very small margins indeed but the question I would have is, has Rochford written him off?

He wasn't bringing him on when we badly needed a few scores the last day. For me that's one of two things:

1. Rochford had a big issue with his shot selections against Galway or
    2. Rochford was "protecting" him by not allowing him to be the villian again.

It's hard to know but Rochford at least trusted him to come on in Salthill. Himself and Loftus are scoring forwards which is something we lack so hopefully they can contribute.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement