Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

I'm sure in the case of a draw it goes to extra time, so be careful!

Can Connolly come back on in extra time if it goes to that? I think he can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Domo1982 wrote: »

It's considered a 'new game' so yeah I think he can alright, not 100% sure though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

ColeTrain wrote: »
    It's considered a 'new game' so yeah I think he can alright, not 100% sure though.

No because he cannot be listed as a substitute - it only applies to players sent from the field in the same game

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Domo1982 wrote: »

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Connolly will play, he'll win his appeal , it's all smoke and mirrors with the GAA as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

No because he cannot be listed as a substitute - it only applies to players sent from the field in the same game

Never liked that letting players come back on rule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Never liked that letting players come back on rule

It's a poor rule, I do understand it in say a home/away type game but shouldn't be used in the GAA.

What is the punishment of say knocking a guy out cold/or making sure he can't continue in the 70th minute, getting a red and then coming back on in extra time while your opponent will be without their man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Ace2007 wrote: »
    It's a poor rule, I do understand it in say a home/away type game but shouldn't be used in the GAA.

What is the punishment of say knocking a guy out cold/or making sure he can't continue in the 70th minute, getting a red and then coming back on in extra time while your opponent will be without their man.

The man who got sent off cant come back on in extra time. Somebody else can replace him.

No wonder there is such confusion of the black card.......:rolleyes:

BPKS wrote: »
    The man who got sent off cant come back on in extra time. Somebody else can replace him.

My bad, I was just reading what I replied to without checking, however the point still stands. Team A players knocks on Team Bs best player, come extra time both have 15 men but team B through no fault of their own are down their best man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Mayo by 6.

BPKS wrote: »

There is no confusion, refs just don't apply the rules and therefore leads to mis understanding of the rules.

According to the rules if you foul month the ref in an aggressive manner it's a black - now how many blacks have you seen for that when players lose their temper at a bad decision? Ref chickens out and just brings the free forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Ace2007 wrote: »
    There is no confusion, refs just don't apply the rules and therefore leads to mis understanding of the rules.

According to the rules if you foul month the ref it's a black - now how many blacks have you seen for that when players lose their temper at a bad decision?

My original point is that there is such confusion over the many, many rules in Gaelic Football it doesn't surprise me when what I call a "normal" foul is made, half the crowd are roaring for a black card. There is complete confusion, people don't understand what a deliberate body check is, what a deliberate trip is, what the difference between a jersey pull and a pull down is.

And the ref is meant to make sure they guy has his toe under the ball, count 4 steps to ensure players aren't overcarrying, make sure they don't hop twice in row, make sure they don't hand-off, if there is contact figure out if its shoulder to shoulder, if its not was it deliberate.............and maybe all of this while counting to 5 in his head and raising his arm to play an advantage.

And to answer your question since the start of last year I have seen black, yellow and red cards all issued to players for mouthing to a ref. Then again I probably go to 80 or 90 games a year so maybe that skews the figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Connollys appeal will be heard by the CAC this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Kalyke wrote: »

Ya the same board that we went to to get kkeans card over turned. He can go to another board aswell as far as I no if he is turned down again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

naughto wrote: »
    Ya the same board that we went to to get kkeans card over turned. He can go to another board aswell as far as I no if he is turned down again.

DRP after that

I'm sick of these appeals - if it is upheld, that should be it, not being able to appeal to not one but two boards is ridiculous - typical GAA though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

My gut feeling is that he'll get off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

seligehgit wrote: »
    My gut feeling is that he'll get off.

Trying to prepare for that news myself.
    Do we know a time? Not that it may act as any guideline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I hope he does to be honest. Not condoning his actions but for sake of consistency. Sort out the crap next Congress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Its Mayos to lose on Sat, all the momentum is with them, I'd say by 6+

I hope he does to be honest. Not condoning his actions but for sake of consistency. Sort out the crap next Congress.

Same as,mixed feelings.He certainly deserves to be suspended but in the light of all the other lads who got off on a technicality it would appear like he's been singled out if appeal is unsuccessful.Can't say I'd be devastated if such a gifted player was marked absent but I'd like to see us beat their strongest possible selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Same as,mixed feelings.He certainly deserves to be suspended but in the light of all the other lads who got off on a technicality it would appear like he's been singled out if appeal is unsuccessful.Can't say I'd be devastated if such a gifted player was marked absent but I'd like to see us beat their strongest possible selection.

Can we apeal his inclusion if he gets off to DRC. Lol

It's been mentioned on the Dublin thread that there are twitter rumours that Connolly has won his appeal,quelle surprise!

It's been mentioned on the Dublin thread that there are twitter rumours that Connolly has won his appeal,quelle surprise!

Mayo GAA banter page is the source I saw it - wouldn't trust it yet until a few more sources have it

Mayo GAA banter page is the source I saw it - wouldn't trust it yet until a few more sources have it

Ah not too sure if I'd trust that source!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Ya hardly gospel in fairness

Ya hardly gospel in fairness

Follow that page myself,can be a good laugh but I'm pretty sure there might be a few wind up merchants posting!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Follow that page myself,can be a good laugh but I'm pretty sure there might be a few wind up merchants posting!?

I unliked that page a long time ago. Stupid winding up of other counties is one thing but when they start attacking their own then it's time to pack it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I unliked that page a long time ago. Stupid winding up of other counties is one thing but when they start attacking their own then it's time to pack it in.

yes 100% agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

That banter page is rubbish. There's a couple of pure idiots admin'ing it - flaming and trolling - although a few of them are sound. It's embarrassing.

Ah I don't agree with any of the wind up brigade,there can be some fun elements to it.Absolutely disgusting either way but to attack their own...Do you mean the players?I never came across that,that's a step too far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Ah I don't agree with any of the wind up brigade,there can be some fun elements to it.Absolutely disgusting either way but to attack their own...Do you mean the players?I never came across that,that's a step too far.

I recall them making a joke about how Donegal should break down the Mayo defence by sending high ball in on top of Ger Cafferkey. Also Kevin Keane was tagged in a post giving out about one of his performances (might have been the 2012 final, I can't recall exactly). I also remember something about how Richie Feeney wasn't good enough to be on the panel. Unbelievable treatment of amateur players who give their all for their county. The page is just a bunch of attention-seeking idiots riding on the popularity of Mayo football. I'm all for banter and craic but their trolling and flaming of other counties is embarrassing and classless in the extreme. But then again I am starting to avoid most social media commentary on the games, every idiot is on giving their informed opinions, it's got to the stage now where I miss the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

The meeting hasn't even started yet so it will be a while yet before we hear

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Been trying to figure this out - if Connolly has been named in 26 man squad but the ban is upheld then he can't be replaced leaving Dublin with a 25 man squad??? And if he's not named, he can't play if he wins the appeal. I know you are allowed to replace a goalie after the deadline but not an outfield player...any other loophole here that I'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

glack wrote: »
    Been trying to figure this out - if Connolly has been named in 26 man squad but the ban is upheld then he can't be replaced leaving Dublin with a 25 man squad??? And if he's not named, he can't play if he wins the appeal. I know you are allowed to replace a goalie after the deadline but not an outfield player...any other loophole here that I'm missing?

Could they for example name no sub goalie, name Connolly at 16 and then trade a sub goalie in if the appeal is upheld. Or if he wins the appeal replace number 26 on the panel with a sub goalie??? No rule that says that number 16 can only play in goals as far as I know!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Surely they wont take the red away? Christ the GAA go on about respect, Connolly does what he does, if they now turn around and say that's ok, they need a serious kick in the hole. So sick of the whole thing, at the stage now I don't even want to go to the match.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Same as, ridiculous stuff posted on that page, but its like that Hill16 page or what ever it is, seen some of the fools posting on that and its embarrassing the intelligence. Banter isn't much better and they have allowed some awful stuff to be posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

toadfly wrote: »
    Surely they wont take the red away? Christ the GAA go on about respect, Connolly does what he does, if they now turn around and say that's ok, they need a serious kick in the hole. So sick of the whole thing, at the stage now I don't even want to go to the match.

Why are you singaling out Connolly?Did a certain Mayo player get his red taken away recently?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

dunnerc wrote: »
    Why are you singaling out Connolly?Did a certain Mayo player get his red taken away recently?

Because he got a red for punching a mayo player on the ground and was sent off for it, simples really. Also had his elbow buried in a Mayo lads face. So deserves it really. Can't see the problem with it.
    Was there another player during that game Sunday who got a red we can talk about?

yop wrote: »
    Because he got a red for punching a mayo player on the ground and was sent off for it, simples really. Also had his elbow buried in a Mayo lads face. So deserves it really. Can't see the problem with it.
    Was there another player during that game Sunday who got a red we can talk about?

Well you wouldn't see a problem with it would you?Dont suppose you seen the poor innocent mayo player dragging Connelly to the ground did you?Or another mayo player punching Connolly and then run whinging to the linesman to get Connolly sent off?Did the 3rd man in not deserve a red card?

• Advertisement

dunnerc wrote: »
    Well you wouldn't see a problem with it would you?Dont suppose you seen the poor innocent mayo player dragging Connelly to the ground did you?Or another mayo player punching Connolly and then run whinging to the linesman to get Connolly sent off?Did the 3rd man in not deserve a red card?

I see a Dublin lad punching a Mayo lad while lying with his elbow in his face, deserved a red. I see a Mayo player pushing Connolly off the Mayo player he was punching. Simple really.

I also see Cooper nearly breaking a Mayo players leg with a challenge.
    I also see Cluxton kick out at a Mayo player.

I see Connolly continually harassing the ref over every decision.

I see Philly McMahon coming in on Boyle and punching him on the ground after the penalty.

So not sure what you see, but I see you have 5 posts since your last post 2 years ago, 2 of them were over moaning on the Dublin forum about Mayo posts, now your over here looking for a reaction, probably so that you can report them.

ANYWAY, we've been here 10000000 times since last Sunday, we talked it up and down the pitch and so far 1 player has had a red, that maybe resinding in the next few hours.
    So the only player with a charge is Connolly, unless we've missed something?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Guys, these arguments have been done to death in the match thread and in case none of ye saw the warning in that thread, don't bring them into other threads. It will just constantly go round in circles with no one moving from their position.
    No more warnings.

Guys, these arguments have been done to death in the match thread and in case none of ye saw the warning in that thread, don't bring them into other threads. It will just constantly go round in circles with no one moving from their position.
    No more warnings.

Agreed, my head is dizzy with the round and round at this stage ;)

The quicker Saturday comes the better.

I see a Dublin lad punching a Mayo lad while lying with his elbow in his face, deserved a red. I see a Mayo player pushing Connolly off the Mayo player he was punching. Simple really.

I also see Cooper nearly breaking a Mayo players leg with a challenge.
    I also see Cluxton kick out at a Mayo player.

I see Connolly continually harassing the ref over every decision.

I see Philly McMahon coming in on Boyle and punching him on the ground after the penalty.

So not sure what you see, but I see you have 5 posts since your last post 2 years ago, 2 of them were over moaning on the Dublin forum about Mayo posts, now your over here looking for a reaction, probably so that you can report them.

ANYWAY, we've been here 10000000 times since last Sunday, we talked it up and down the pitch and so far 1 player has had a red, that maybe resinding in the next few hours.
    So the only player with a charge is Connolly, unless we've missed something?

Wow you seen a lot of what you wanted to see
    Connelly harrassing the ref questioning every decision?
    Did Coc not do the same?
    What have the amount of posts ive made got to do with anything?
    I am most definitely not looking for a reaction,just asking a genuine question about a post a member put up ref Connolly getting off with a red card
    You are the one who jumped in with all sorts!!
    Am I not entitled to my opinion on this thread?
    Congrats on your 13,072 posts,i find it hard to believe a lot of them were not moaning about Dublin,sorry you have to many for me to go searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Ah here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

You are being very selective. There are more who should have got red cards and not only Dubs!!;)

There are no winners in this pardon the pun after last weeks game. It was pure muck, mind you if either county won by a point we would call it a classic.

I lay the blame fairly and squarely on the shoulders of the people who were supposed to be helping the referee, his umpires and linesmen. I originally blamed McQuillan but no referee can spot everything yet they are wired up and in contact and if action was taken earlier we might have had the game of the year as I believe we had the 2 best footballing sides in Ireland on the field. The match-ups were brilliant Connolly/ Flynn v Keegan/Higgins, O'Connor/O'Carroll

The appeals situation is a mess but Connolly has every right to go down that road, like Keane had. (I believe Keane got justice).

What is causing most sour grapes around Dublin and not only from Dubs, (I work with 2 lads from Mayo and they were disgusted with the attitude of a few Mayo players) is Connolly got a red card for striking which was spotted by the linesman and that is fair enough but most are referring to Cillian O'Connors sly dig on Rory O'Carroll. You could argue it was accidental he just swung back but this also happened in front of a linesman and 2 umpires, it was dangerous play. Also Aiden O'Shea answering to the media he was head butted when video evidence proved otherwise. He feigned injury to get an opponent sent off not something any G.A.A. player should do, I had no problem with the slap he gave McMahon as he was sort of protecting himself but He has lost a lot of respect. He should have just shut up.

Hard to know how the replay will go. I hope we get the football these sides can play. It would be terrible to remember this semi-final for all the crap that went on last Sunday As a Dub I backed Mayo the morning of the Sligo match to win the All-Ireland and I have not changed my view. They are the best Mayo team I have seen. The key turning point for me was Keith Higgins point. He is such a special player it just gave Mayo more of a boost than any other score and it got the crowd back on their feet. The key man could be Barry Moran and I am actually surprised they left it so long to bring him on. Dublin might feel very hurt the way things turned out and despite not having their main man it could spur lads on a bit more.

Mayo by 2

• Advertisement

No more warnings.

sorry did not see your post before I posted
    Anyway agreed this has been done to death
    roll on saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Appeal has been successful according to a few on Twitter, Connolly to play on Saturday.

:(

Just take it with a grain of salt for now, no big, official announcement yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

martyos121 wrote: »
    Appeal has been successful according to a few on Twitter, Connolly to play on Saturday.

:(

Just take it with a grain of salt for now, no big, official announcement yet.

Not :(. Be happy that you get the opportunity to see one of the top footballers in the country play on Saturday! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Not :(. Be happy that you get the opportunity to see one of the top footballers in the country play on Saturday! :)

Looks like a false alarm, so don't get cocky yet :)

And I'm very much looking forward to seeing Aidan O'Shea playing on Saturday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

martyos121 wrote: »
    Looks like a false alarm, so don't get cocky yet :)

And I'm very much looking forward to seeing Aidan O'Shea playing on Saturday :)

I'm not cocky. I am a neutral so it doesn't bother me much either way. Connolly should be banned, but Keane getting off muddies those waters. However, as a neutral I want to see the best players from both teams out there on Saturday. To be honest, if it was my own team playing Dublin, I'd still want to see Connolly out there. Nothing better than seeing your own team & players you follow all year going up against the top footballers in the country!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement