Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I agree Father Tod,at times the rush to vilify the County Board is a tad OTT.They are ordinary Mayo fans like the rest of us trying and sometimes fumbling in their efforts to put in place everything for the betterment of Mayo football.They most certainly aren't all out to line their pockets,there is a certain prestige to their positions and with some the lure of a bit of power is an undoubted attraction.

At times I do think we are slow to make change at the top,same old tired faces.I do think that the County Board could do with a more youthful executive and less of the perception that's it's a job for the boys.I suppose it's up to the clubs via their county board delegates to ensure change happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Is he interested in the job though ?
    I thought if he was we would hear a lot more about it over the last few weeks
    And I thought Solan was busy with Arsenal anyway

Rochford is the only name I've heard time and again in relation the the job over the last few weeks, bar a few mentions of a Horan return. He's the favourite, and of course he's interested. He said himself that managing Mayo is a dream of his and he'd love to do it. He'd take the job in a heartbeat, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Not sure what that means?

You saw what happened last year, right? They installed one of the senior CB members' brother in the job before the interviews had even taken place. And James Horan was only appointed the time before that to fend off the calls from Liam Horan and his troupe for a full public inspection of how the county board operates financially, up to then they had been trying to decide whether to install Tommy Lyons or Mick O'Dwyer in the job - only a public revolt stopped them from going through with that plan.

I certainly don't think the CB are on the take or anything like that, but they have made a litany of mistakes over the last ten years and are as culpable as anyone for our failure to win an AI. It's nothing personal against the people involved, but from Feeney to McNicholas to Neary and also Connelly, unfortunately they just haven't been good enough at what they're supposed to do - and that's largely the reason why they have found themselves landed in this mess in the last few weeks.

I lost a lot of respect for the county board over their handling of the resignation of Holmes and Connelly (as well as their appointment). Pretending that they didn't know there was unrest within the team and trying to elicit sympathy in an attempt to turn public opinion against the players left a bad taste in my mouth. And I don't think it's much of a secret at this point that the leaks about the revolt came from the county board side, not the players. If this group of players ever win an all-Ireland, it'll be in spite of the efforts of the county board, not because of them.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Hearing strong rumours that it's as good as a done deal that James Horan will return to the helm,official announcement in a few weeks.

I take it all back,don't know what to believe but another mate has been advised that Rochford has the job in the bag.100% reliable source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I take it all back,don't know what to believe but another mate has been advised that Rochford has the job in the bag.100% reliable source.

When do Corofin play next ?

They appear to be out tomorrow against Mohill in Tuam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Here's hoping its Rochford and they give him a few years. There should be no pressure on him. The talent is there and much of the backroom is there. I've every faith the guy can do a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I never had much respect for the CB, because I used to hear the stories from hand me down sources, but the way they handled Mickey Moran and shoved in John O mahony only for him to become a TD, smacks of utter cronyism and sh1tehawking from top to bottom.
    power corrupts so it was and so it will ever be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I've been told by someone in the loop that Rochford has Mayo job, that he's preparing his back room team. Corofin play today so will tell a lot. Horan is the backup plan, is willing to step back in.

Pretty disappointing county final,the Mitchels totally outclassed poor Breaffy.Here's hoping they have a prolonged run in the club championship.Clann na nGael of Roscommon await them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Pretty disappointing county final,the Mitchels totally outclassed poor Breaffy.Here's hoping they have a prolonged run in the club championship.Clann na nGael of Roscommon await them.

I was at it it was a poor game breaffy hit the post twice put they lack any serious shooting power up front with oshea playing all over the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Hope Neil Douglas can keep up this kinda form. Kirby good today. Two lads who have a bit of strength and talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Rumour Maughan has been approched

Well it would be suprising if he wasnt at least approached or in the running.

• Advertisement

Is that a joke?

Yeah I thought Danny Kirby had a really decent game today,most especially the second half.I'm presuming that's a joke re the John Maughan approach?

He's been in it twice and Maughan had his name in for u21 and is always active managing at some level. I think fair chance he puts his name in. Serious talent available, possible title in the next three years. Will be a Deep squad, plenty young forwards coming through. If manager and they win it become the most famous Mayo man in history.

Well it would be suprising if he wasnt at least approached or in the running.

TBH I'd be shocked if he was in the running or had been approached.He's had 2 shots at the job,he'll get the lads fit for sure but there is a big question mark over his tactical astuteness.I'm not too sure if he'd be a popular appointment with the players after his remarks re their vote of no confidence in the previous management.Presumably the County Board wouldn't try to impose any manager on the players without some sort of communication,I couldn't possibly imagine they'd be that spiteful even taking in to consideration their dismay at the player revolt.

Logically what will sell tickets and jerseys?
    Rochford and a few young players.
    So I expect Rochford.
    Maughan surely close enough to Rochford just thought, so he would keep his name out if Rochford favourite.
    Rochford was helping with Crossmolina when Maughan was over them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I'd say he approached himself

Bullsh*t.

He'd be ousted by the players before he even took over the job.

Anyways, I think the players, for all their faults, are clever enough to know they need a manager with tactical astuteness. Before any ratification, a prospective manager should meet players representatives and let them see what he has to say. Its easy to fool the county board, its not so easy to fool players.

Claremorris won the minor title today, 2-12 to 0-4 against Ballina. Claremorris did not even have a sub on this years Mayo minor team. Simply not possible to do that. There is no such thing as a club winning the A championship in a crushing scoreline in a county with Mayos club football strength with a team of lads all just below county bench standard. Didnt have the 9th best defender or 9th best forward?
    That Claremorris team has not lost a championship game since u13 up, meaning never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Claremorris won the minor title today, 2-12 to 0-4 against Ballina. Claremorris did not even have a sub on this years Mayo minor team. Simply not possible to do that. There is no such thing as a club winning the A championship in a crushing scoreline in a county with Mayos club football strength with a team of lads all just below county bench standard. Didnt have the 9th best defender or 9th best forward?
    That Claremorris team has not lost a championship game since u13 up, meaning never.

Politics or just plain ignorance I wonder? The talent is certainly there, it must be one or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Claremorris won the minor title today, 2-12 to 0-4 against Ballina. Claremorris did not even have a sub on this years Mayo minor team. Simply not possible to do that. There is no such thing as a club winning the A championship in a crushing scoreline in a county with Mayos club football strength with a team of lads all just below county bench standard. Didnt have the 9th best defender or 9th best forward? That Claremorris team has not lost a championship game since u13 up, meaning never.

Claremorris won the minor title today, 2-12 to 0-4 against Ballina. Claremorris did not even have a sub on this years Mayo minor team. Simply not possible to do that. There is no such thing as a club winning the A championship in a crushing scoreline in a county with Mayos club football strength with a team of lads all just below county bench standard. Didnt have the 9th best defender or 9th best forward? That Claremorris team has not lost a championship game since u13 up, meaning never.

That's mad, and it wasn't a particularly good minor side either

That's mad, and it wasn't a particularly good minor side either
    Demolished by Galway in a record setting defeat. Something that just shouldn't ever happen given the available talent turned out year in year out in Mayo. Can be beaten or well beaten but it simply shouldn't be happening to be hammered.
    Claremorris stuck hammerings, absolute non-competitive games on other teams that had several players on the panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

According to The Irish Star today Horan has said he isn't or won't be in the running for the job.

According to The Irish Star today Horan has said he isn't or won't be in the running for the job.
    Then Rochford surely has it in the bag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

The backroom team that Rochford is rumoured to have built up includes Donie Buckley and Tony McEntee as selectors. Gavin Duffy is the S&C coach with Solan becoming overall director of S&C for Mayo GAA. McEntee won an All Ireland with Armagh in 2002 and managed Crossmaglen to back to back Ulster titles as well as an All Ireland.
    I am one of the CB's biggest critics at times, however, if they pull this off I would be very excited. It would also be a master stroke by the CB as it would throw all the pressure back on the players by effectively saying "there you go, one of the best coaching tickets in the country, lets see what you can do".
    I would especially like to see a bit of the Ulster bite instilled in the team. McEntee is Dublin based so he would look after the players based there. I'm guessing this "package" would prove every bit as costly as anything proposed by McStay, although this time the CB simply could not be seen to discount another high caliber manager on cost grounds.
    I would also imagine James Horan would not impede this managements team appointment in anyway. Finally, to the trolls mentioning John Maughan, how would you expect him to manage the senior team when his "on air" rant about the players cost him the U21 job despite him being the CB's own nomination.
    Forgot to mention that Maurice Horan from Ballinrobe is also supposedly in the mix. I believe he is living in Killarney and is involved as a selector with Dr Crokes so the logistics of this would seem difficult.

It seems like Solan is now going to set the fitness program for both U21 and senior. Hopefully minor as well. Sets the overall plan and the individual local coaches tailor it to each player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 koochie

I am delighted to hear of recent revelations. Rochford is obviously very well respected in GAA circles to attract such big names as Rawhead has mentioned above, sounds like a dream team of back room personnel. In fairness if Solan and Buckley have committed to Rochford, Horan was left with little support. Personally I feel Horan had every intention of entering the contest but was forced out of the race by a better proposal. If Horan had 'decided very quickly that (he) wouldn't be letting (his) name go forward' why did it take him so long to inform the media. In any case it has worked out well if Rochford's team gets the nod, roll on 2016!!

Rawhead wrote: »
    The backroom team that Rochford is rumoured to have built up includes Donie Buckley and Tony McEntee as selectors. Gavin Duffy is the S&C coach with Solan becoming overall director of S&C for Mayo GAA. McEntee won an All Ireland with Armagh in 2002 and managed Crossmaglen to back to back Ulster titles as well as an All Ireland.

what is the S&C ?

Strength and Conditioning.

This does look as though Horan has stepped aside because he has not the nod that the job is Rochford's. You can't blame him for pulling out in that case rather than it becoming obvious that he wasn't chosen. I still think we will see him back in the job at some stage in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Any of ye read the Western report on the county board meeting last week? Blood boiling stuff from them :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Rawhead wrote: »
    I am one of the CB's biggest critics at times, however, if they pull this off I would be very excited. It would also be a master stroke by the CB as it would throw all the pressure back on the players by effectively saying "there you go, one of the best coaching tickets in the country, lets see what you can do".
    I would especially like to see a bit of the Ulster bite instilled in the team. McEntee is Dublin based so he would look after the players based there. I'm guessing this "package" would prove every bit as costly as anything proposed by McStay, although this time the CB simply could not be seen to discount another high caliber manager on cost grounds.
    I would also imagine James Horan would not impede this managements team appointment in anyway. Finally, to the trolls mentioning John Maughan, how would you expect him to manage the senior team when his "on air" rant about the players cost him the U21 job despite him being the CB's own nomination.
    Forgot to mention that Maurice Horan from Ballinrobe is also supposedly in the mix. I believe he is living in Killarney and is involved as a selector with Dr Crokes so the logistics of this would seem difficult.

McEntee hasn't set the world alight at St Brigids in Dublin

John Maughan would have some cheek to try and go for the job after what he said in the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

PressRun wrote: »
    John Maughan would have some cheek to try and go for the job after what he said in the media.

What did he say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This does look as though Horan has stepped aside because he has not the nod that the job is Rochford's. You can't blame him for pulling out in that case rather than it becoming obvious that he wasn't chosen. I still think we will see him back in the job at some stage in the future.

I'm happy that he is not going back this early.

I too also expect to see him back and would welcome him back but I think it's something that is best happening further down the line.

He gave a huge 4 year commitment to Mayo football and put it where it is today so a break from it will do him no harm.

Excited about the future if that is what Rochford will be bringing to the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Agreed, it would be great for him to return, but not just yet. Imo he put some steel into Mayo, it would be great to see him managing a winning team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Nominations are to close on Fri or Sat IIRC...leaving aside Rochford who else is a possibility? We can be almost certain at this stage that Maughan and Horan wont be nominated. If we assume that at last minute Rochford wont take it...who do we turn to. There seems to be a distinct lack of quality managers out there at the moment nationwide...particulary when you hear Cian o Neill saying how he could have gone to 14 different teams...even though that figure is probably slightly exaggerated. I can see no other nomination being in the hat. From Rochfords prospective wouldn't it be nice to know that you were picked for the job out of five or six people because you were the best and most suitable candidate and not because you were the only candidate which seems like a distinct possibility at this stage.

Thoughts people ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Ascii wrote: »
    Nominations are to close on Fri or Sat IIRC...leaving aside Rochford who else is a possibility? We can be almost certain at this stage that Maughan and Horan wont be nominated. If we assume that at last minute Rochford wont take it...who do we turn to. There seems to be a distinct lack of quality managers out there at the moment nationwide...particulary when you hear Cian o Neill saying how he could have gone to 14 different teams...even though that figure is probably slightly exaggerated. I can see no other nomination being in the hat. From Rochfords prospective wouldn't it be nice to know that you were picked for the job out of five or six people because you were the best and most suitable candidate and not because you were the only candidate which seems like a distinct possibility at this stage.

Thoughts people ?

Well that doesn't make sense, he's the only candidate because we are looking for a high standard and he's the only one meeting that standard, he's still beaten off everyone else. If it was Longford/Leitrim looking for a manager then there would be plenty of candidates! He's the only one because he's the only one that is meeting the required standard at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Well that doesn't make sense, he's the only candidate because we are looking for a high standard and he's the only one meeting that standard, he's still beaten off everyone else. If it was Longford/Leitrim looking for a manager then there would be plenty of candidates! He's the only one because he's the only one that is meeting the required standard at the moment!

The standard can only be set by the calibre of people that apply. Without splitting hairs I will say it this way, if Jim Mc and Jack O Con applied along with Rochford, is Stephen suddenly not good enough because the standard/calibre has been set by all Ireland winning inter county players and managers ??
    He's the only one because he's the only one that is meeting the required standard at the moment!

What do you think is the required standard?

On a side note I was in a filling station this morning and seen copies of John O Mahonys autobiography on the counter for sale...like FFS it seems any clown can get a book wrote about themselves at this stage :(:(
    None the less it will probably be a last minute stocking filler for some desperado come this xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Has any clubs held meetings to nominate someone to put forward for the managers job?

Is this turning into another farce? Has anyone nominated Rochford yet?

• Advertisement

Seems to be as good as a done deal with Rochford,can't be left unsaid what an absolute legend of the Green and Red James Horan is irrespective of whither he ever returns to bring us to All Ireland glory.He'd bleed for the county.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22997%3Arochford-now-in-pole-position-for-mayo-job&catid=14&Itemid=100008

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Seems to be as good as a done deal with Rochford,can't be left unsaid what an absolute legend of the Green and Red James Horan is irrespective of whither he ever returns to bring us to All Ireland glory.He'd bleed for the county.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22997%3Arochford-now-in-pole-position-for-mayo-job&catid=14&Itemid=100008

Think this quote here tells you all you need to know about the county board & Horans relationship. No doubt if he feels like this then the players think along the same lines

"Mayo GAA and the supporters — they’re a fantastic bunch, really. And there are great players that are looking to drive on.
    If we had the support structures in place to match that ambition, then great things are possible. Hopefully 2016 will see Mayo driving on.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Ascii wrote: »

On a side note I was in a filling station this morning and seen copies of John O Mahonys autobiography on the counter for sale...like FFS it seems any clown can get a book wrote about themselves at this stage :(:(
    None the less it will probably be a last minute stocking filler for some desperado come this xmas.

O'Mahony might be many things but he's far from a clown. Looking forward to reading it, im sure it#'s no classic ;iterature but always good to get an insiders view of things
    Is this turning into another farce? Has anyone nominated Rochford yet?

Why exactly is it a farce? The CB are going about things correctly. Or are you moaning for the sake of it?

O'Mahony is a current politician so won't be upsetting anyone with that book. I'd be amazed if there is much of interest in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Has any clubs held meetings to nominate someone to put forward for the managers job?

It doesnt quite work like that though does it. I doubt we'll hear anything till closing date for nominations. Looks like a done deal for Rochford and team anyway

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement