Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

What's the problem? Is it to do with UUJ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

He was playing with UUJ in their last match, I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

PressRun wrote: »
    He was playing with UUJ in their last match, I believe.

Yeah, that's what I thought. He's named on the squad for Sunday, maybe a typo?

I'm also hearing match next week in Ballinglough is being moved to the Hyde

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I thought. He's named on the squad for Sunday, maybe a typo?

I'm also hearing match next week in Ballinglough is being moved to the Hyde

Nearly be happier,Ballinlough is an absolute nightmare of a place to get in and out of!We'll be getting very used of playing Roscommon.

That's got to be a typo re Evan Regan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PressRun wrote:
    Mike Sweeney(injured) making way.
    Sweeney is handy enough IMO. Worth a good run won't tackle like the other lads but he is nippy, I think he'd play well off AOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

seligehgit wrote: »
    Nearly be happier,Ballinlough is an absolute nightmare of a place to get in and out of!We'll be getting very used of playing Roscommon.

That's got to be a typo re Evan Regan...

Is there an actual rule that means a player playing for a college in another province cant play for his county in his own province?

UUJ are playing Saturday evening. Mayo playing Sunday. So if the rules did not prevent it, it could be that it is not a typo (although it would be crazy for him to be playing in both matches).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Is there an actual rule that means a player playing for a college in another province cant play for his county in his own province?

UUJ are playing Saturday evening. Mayo playing Sunday. So if the rules did not prevent it, it could be that it is not a typo (although it would be crazy for him to be playing in both matches).

The rule was that if a players college team were competing in a winter competition, they must he released to the college for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

what time is game on sunday, meself and the aul lad were one of the stragglers the last day. :(
    we got in and nuig were 3 up already!

Out of all the players I saw I was really impressed with nuigs Midfielder cooke. great tackler, nice shooting, not afraid to get stuck in.
    one to watch for the future.... unfortunately it will be galways future.

kupus wrote: »
    what time is game on sunday, meself and the aul lad were one of the stragglers the last day. :(
    we got in and nuig were 3 up already!

Out of all the players I saw I was really impressed with nuigs Midfielder cooke. great tackler, nice shooting, not afraid to get stuck in.
    one to watch for the future.... unfortunately it will be galways future.

2pm local time :pac:

List of all 2016 fixtures here;

http://mayoclub51.com/mayo-gaa-2016-fixtures-results/senior-football-fixtures-results-2016/

• Advertisement

Fulltime Score in U-21 Northwest Cup at St.Tiernans Park Crossmolina: Mayo 3-12 Sligo 0-04

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Fulltime Score in U-21 Northwest Cup at St.Tiernans Park Crossmolina: Mayo 3-12 Sligo 0-04
    Fionan Duffy, Brian Reape and Sharoize Akram listed as the standouts. When you think in terms of attack you still have Diarmuid OConnor(if fit) and Conor Loftus to come back into it.
    In defense Stephen Coen and David Kenny. It really is a strong U21 team this year.

It would be great to see the under 21s make a significant impact on the championship this year.It's been a very fallow period for Mayo football at this most important of grades in the progression of our most talented young footballers to the senior/inter county grade.

Mayo 1-16
    IT Sligo 0-08

Scorers for Mayo:

McLoughlin 1-02
    Ronaldson 0-04
    Doherty 0-03 (2f)
    Ruttledge 0-03
    Farrell 0-01
    Loftus 0-01
    Parsons 0-01
    McHale 0-01

Yeah a very decent day at the office.Great crowd.Defensively very sound,full back line very solid.Keith Higgins had a good day out in the half back line.Shane Nally didn't impress quite as much as last week.

Jason Gibbons was very impressive again,decent enough showing by Caolan Crowe.

Half forwards all excelled,Kevin McLoughlin's distribution was top notch,ditto his contribution to the score board.Mark Ronaldson was probably MOTM,Andrew Farrell had a spritely debut.

The inside forwards contributed well,Jason Doherty was an excellent target man and Keith Ruttledge contributed generously to the score board.

Great to see Lee Keegan and Donal Vaughan hungry for action.

Matthew Flanagan debuted well considering how little he had to do.

A very welcome emphasis on quick footpassing today.It was in general very accurate and led to many well taken scores after some very slick build up play. Very effective on such a heavy winter pitch.

I was introduced to the new manager's parents today,lovely people.Conor Loftus's Mum was there too,he's a real prospect.Another lovely score from play when he entered the action.Hopefully too much pressure will not be placed on his such tender shoulders at this stage in his development.As expected Evan Regan didn't tog out with college commitments.

Big test against Roscommon next Sunday in the Hyde,first of three clashes this year.

Stephen Rochford mentioned on MWR that Cillian is not likely to be back until the end of March,ditto Andy Moran and Alan Dillon if they are so required.Aidan O Shea has a soft tissue injury and may be available for the Cork game but he won't be rushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Does anyone know the senior hurling result from yesterday, Mayo v. NUIG? Thanks.

• Advertisement

didnt get to it, in bed from flu, any write ups. I only listened a small bit on MW, How did parsons do in FF?

Yeah a very decent day at the office.Great crowd.Defensively very sound,full back line very solid.Keith Higgins had a good day out in the half back line.Shane Nally didn't impress quite as much as last week.

Jason Gibbons was very impressive again,decent enough showing by Caolan Crowe.

Half forwards all excelled,Kevin McLoughlin's distribution was top notch,ditto his contribution to the score board.Mark Ronaldson was probably MOTM,Andrew Farrell had a spritely debut.

The inside forwards contributed well,Jason Doherty was an excellent target man and Keith Ruttledge contributed generously to the score board.

Great to see Lee Keegan and Donal Vaughan hungry for action.

Matthew Flanagan debuted well considering how little he had to do.

A very welcome emphasis on quick footpassing today.It was in general very accurate and led to many well taken scores after some very slick build up play. Very effective on such a heavy winter pitch.

I was introduced to the new manager's parents today,lovely people.Conor Loftus's Mum was there too,he's a real prospect.Another lovely score from play when he entered the action.Hopefully too much pressure will not be placed on his such tender shoulders at this stage in his development.As expected Evan Regan didn't tog out with college commitments.

Big test against Roscommon next Sunday in the Hyde,first of three clashes this year.

Stephen Rochford mentioned on MWR that Cillian is not likely to be back until the end of March,ditto Andy Moran and Alan Dillon if they are so required.Aidan O Shea has a soft tissue injury and may be available for the Cork game but he won't be rushed.

To be honest, I don't really mind some of those lads getting a bit of a break. It gives some of the new prospects a real chance to sell themselves and I'd rather have the likes of Cillian and Aiden back when they're fully ready, rather than rushing it.

It does seem as though an emphasis on foot-passing is something the management may be looking to apply in the long-run, which is definitely encouraging. A fast-paced, exciting style.

Good to see so many scores from play and from quite a few different individuals too.

I'd say there'll be plenty travelling to the Hyde next weekend.

kupus wrote: »
    didnt get to it, in bed from flu, any write ups. I only listened a small bit on MW, How did parsons do in FF?

TBH he wasn't on the pitch long enough to make any kind of assessment.Very viable option considering the riches we possess in the middle of the park.

feargale wrote: »
    Does anyone know the senior hurling result from yesterday, Mayo v. NUIG? Thanks.

It's on tomorrow night in Bekan at half six.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Memories of last season when the Rossies came down to McHale in the FBD and turned Mayo over in a fiesty contest. Had a feeling that day that Mayo would relish battering them later in the season, unfortunately that scenario never came to pass!

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote:
    TBH he wasn't on the pitch long enough to make any kind of assessment.Very viable option considering the riches we possess in the middle of the park.

I couldn't see Parsons make it at FF . I've only seen him play about 10 games. I dont think you can spare him tbh. I think he's a natural midfielder very good tackler, and he has a full game in him.

I think if Moran sits in front of the back line more to help the lads back there , and AOS goes and stays at 14, and stops running himself into the ground so he can last a full game ie stop moving out to get the ball so much , mayo will need Parsons at midfield, he was IMO your best midfielder last year, it would leave Gibbons, SOS and him as midfielders. Moran does a decent job protecting that space in front of the back line when he tracks back into it. SOS is a bit defensive too, Parsons beaks up play and links with the attack well IMO, but I don't see him as a finisher.

It would be good to see AOS just play as FF not a third midfielder that runs into the box when ever he can. Maybe just leave him as a half forward, some think its his natural position,

With Mayos riches in midfield AOS should just be able to be a forward, he shouldnt need to keep moving back out the field. He can score goals and points unlike most of Mayos options at 8&9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Stoner wrote: »
    I couldn't see Parsons make it at FF . I've only seen him play about 10 games. I dont think you can spare him tbh. I think he's a natural midfielder very good tackler, and he has a full game in him.

I think if Moran sits in front of the back line more to help the lads back there , and AOS goes and stays at 14, and stops running himself into the ground so he can last a full game ie stop moving out to get the ball so much , mayo will need Parsons at midfield, he was IMO your best midfielder last year, it would leave Gibbons, SOS and him as midfielders. Moran does a decent job protecting that space in front of the back line when he tracks back into it. SOS is a bit defensive too, Parsons beaks up play and links with the attack well IMO, but I don't see him as a finisher.

It would be good to see AOS just play as FF not a third midfielder that runs into the box when ever he can. Maybe just leave him as a half forward, some think its his natural position,

With Mayos riches in midfield AOS should just be able to be a forward, he shouldnt need to keep moving back out the field. He can score goals and points unlike most of Mayos options at 8&9.

Our lack of good service into AOS against Dublin in both matches last year highlighted the fact that while we often fall to teams with a quality target man (I'm really just talking about Kerry and Donaghy though), it's not a good strategy for us. It's fine putting AOS in at 14 in the Connachts and even in the quarters if it suits, but the best defences like Dublin and Kerry will stop it every time. 11 is where I'd like to see him play in every match this year as it would give us a much needed presence in arguably our weakest area of the team, the half forward line (DOC excluded, but his future is in midfield IMO).

I don't think it would do much harm to give Parsons a start at full back in the league either so we can see if he could handle it if we needed AOS back in midfield for any reason or if we were looking to adapt DOC into the role I believe he would excel in. It's the position DOC has played for most of his life and there's no reason he won't make it his own in the senior team, the only obstacle is the quality players we already have in that spot. Parsons gives us more physicality and fielding ability at the back which could prove crucial against the big men like Donaghy.

Definitely believe Tom Parsons should be tried at full back,it really has been an achilles heal in the really big games.

At times Ger Cafferkey has struggled against the likes of the Bernard Brogan's and Kieran Donaghy's of this world.TBF to the full back line they haven't always been given the best of protection but when isolated have been very vulnerable most especially under the high ball.At times I think Ger Cafferkey is too nice to play full back.

Yeah Diarmuid O Connor is a natural midfielder but I think we can ill afford to lose him in an attacking sense especially when consideration of the ample supply of quality midfielders we possess.As mentioned already our half forward line is probably one of the weakest lines we have.

Stoner is right,Aidan O Shea probably needs to box a tad cleverer and stay in position inside and conserve his energy so he can last the 70 minutes.He has been tried a couple of seasons ago in the league at centre half forward,tbh it wasn't a resounding success.Having said that it may well be his best position.

statto25 wrote: »
    It's on tomorrow night in Bekan at half six.

Thanks statto. Have you the result? The weekend also featured. Leitrim v. Athlone IT and IT Sligo v. Sligo. Any news on those? The Examiner reported GMIT 1-20 Roscommon 2-16. The posh Dublin press doesn't condescend to report these matters.

Thanks statto. Have you the result? The weekend also featured. Leitrim v. Athlone IT and IT Sligo v. Sligo. Any news on those? The Examiner reported GMIT 1-20 Roscommon 2-16. The posh Dublin press doesn't condescend to report these matters.

It was moved to 8.30. Mayo 4-06 NUIG 10 current and still playing.
    IT Sligo beat Sligo 3-10 to 1-10
    The fixture list from last week didn't have Athlone IT on it so don't know where they came from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Mayo won 4-10 to 0-10. Game just ended.

Why don't you just follow Mayo GAA and/or Connacht GAA on Twitter? You'll get the live scores as they happen in real time. You'll be waiting for ever to get them, if you rely on the newspapers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Peter Ford and Shane Conway just confirmed as the Breaffy management team.

statto25 wrote: »
    It was moved to 8.30. Mayo 4-06 NUIG 10 current and still playing.
    IT Sligo beat Sligo 3-10 to 1-10
    The fixture list from last week didn't have Athlone IT on it so don't know where they came from?
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    Mayo won 4-10 to 0-10. Game just ended.

Why don't you just follow Mayo GAA and/or Connacht GAA on Twitter? You'll get the live scores as they happen in real time. You'll be waiting for ever to get them, if you rely on the newspapers.

Thanks guys. I reckon that's NUIG's second team since they're also in Leinster's Walsh Cup. A good result for Mayo nonetheless.
    Yes, I see Mayo GAA site carried it. I'm not in Twitter.

seligehgit wrote:
    ,Aidan O Shea probably needs to box a tad cleverer and stay in position inside and conserve his energy so he can last the 70 minutes.He has been tried a couple of seasons ago in the league at centre half forward,tbh it wasn't a resounding success.Having said that it may well be his best position.

I remember a few years ago Martin McHugh said MDMA and AOS were natural half forwards. In 2012 we tried MDMA there against you guys and it was a disaster.

I think there are different types of inside big FF, the smart halfbacklines can play a double sweeper to cut out diagonal ball into the likes of Donnagh and AOS .
    Then there is the likes of Dublins OGara he can burst down the middle and take man and ball to this chest. I think Tyrone did a good job stopping Donnaghy from doing this last year., OGara can't collect the high balls as well as AOS, but I think that AOS has the best balance I think he can burst out to the ball to his chest, burst through with it and also collect high ball. His turn for a big man is good too.

I think you guys are right against Dublin the quality of ball into him was one dimensional, but he has more to his game, he's very mobile, but he needs a position with an array of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Interesting commentary on the central positions. From overall performances Kevin Keane has been the best full back. He's the only defender I'v seen stop up Kevin McManamon.
    Midfield I think it will be SOS and Parsons. However I'd love to see Lee Keegan there at some stage. I'v seen him play really well there for Westport. I think Keegan freed completely up at midfield would be top class.
    Partnered with him Parsons with SOS coming on. I dont think Diarmuid OConnor will suit midfield at inter county level. You dont see him bursting out of tackles. At club level he's been okay there. Other club midfielders have been able for him.
    Centre forward might be a great spot for Diarmuid.
    AOS I would play on the 21 to the right of goal. In the classic full forward position the endline and goalie end up like another defender. In that wider position he stretches the defense a bit as he is not central or too close to goal.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. I reckon that's NUIG's second team since they're also in Leinster's Walsh Cup. A good result for Mayo nonetheless.
    Yes, I see Mayo GAA site carried it. I'm not in Twitter.

It was NUIGs Intermediate team.

The Mayo Squad for Sunday

Colm Boyle (Davitts);
    Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites);
    Caolan Crowe (Garrymore);
    Jason Doherty (Burrishoole);
    Andrew Farrell (Killala);
    Matthew Flanagan (Balla);
    Jason Gibbons (Ballintubber);
    Brendan Harrison (Aghamore);
    Robert Hennelly (Breaffy);
    Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis);
    Kevin Keane (Westport);
    Lee Keegan (Westport);
    David Kenny (Aghamore);
    Conor Loftus (Crossmolina);
    Darren McHale (Knockmore);
    Shane McHale (Knockmore);
    Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore);
    Shane Nally (Garrymore);
    Padraig O'Hora (Ballina Stephenites);
    Tom Parsons (Charlestown);
    Mark Ronaldson (Shrule-Glencorrib);
    Keith Ruttledge (Knockmore);
    Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe).

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

Is diarmuid o'connor out injured at the moment? According to some article he said he hasnt had the chance yet to work closely with the new management yet but has been working closely with the medical team.
    Don't think he lined out for DCU vs dublin last weekend either.
    Dosnt sound anything major but just wondering did anyone know? Be good for him to have a break anyway.

RD10 wrote: »
    Is diarmuid o'connor out injured at the moment? According to some article he said he hasnt had the chance yet to work closely with the new management yet but has been working closely with the medical team.
    Don't think he lined out for DCU vs dublin last weekend either.
    Dosnt sound anything major but just wondering did anyone know? Be good for him to have a break anyway.

Yeah he's out injured at the moment,he was interviewed on the TV3 news sports report,ditto 6 One news.He was at the launch of the Allianz football league in croke park.It's probably up on the RTE player,I don't think the injury is anything too serious.

Great news the match has been moved to McHale Park on Sunday!:D

Presuming the Hyde is unplayable.

Article by Mike Finnerty of the Mayo News

MAYO look set to be missing four of the side that started last summer’s All-Ireland SFC semi-final replay defeat to Dublin when they take on Cork in the National League at the end of this month.
    Chris Barrett, Seamus O’Shea and Cillian O’Connor will all miss the opening league game due to their respective injuries, while Barry Moran is unavailable due to club commitments.
    Injured veterans Alan Dillon and Andy Moran, along with the likes of Castlebar Mitchels defenders Tom Cunniffe and Paddy Durcan, will also be missing from Mayo’s squad for that opening fixture.
    However, Mayo manager Stephen Rochford says he’s ‘reasonably hopeful’ that Aidan O’Shea will have recovered in time to line out on Sunday, January 31 at Pairc Ui Rinn.
    Mayo togged 23 players for last weekend’s FBD League win over IT Sligo — Evan Regan was unable to take part as he was ineligible for the competition — but Rochford hopes to have ‘another four or five guys’ back for the Cork game.
    “We’d be reasonably hopeful that Aidan will be available, but at this stage of the year you’ve got to take the conditions into it. [With] any soft tissue injuries we’ve got to be mindful that we’re not prolonging it by rushing somebody back,” he told The Mayo News.
    “In saying that, we want as strong a panel as possible going to Cork. Hopefully Diarmuid O’Connor, Conor O’Shea, maybe Stephen Coen, depending on how Hollymount/Carramore get on, and Evan Regan as well [will be back].
    “There are up to four or five guys to be added in, but we won’t know for sure for another few weeks.”
    Mikey Sweeney, who missed last Sunday’s game due to a hamstring strain, is also expected to have recovered to be in contention for a place in the match-day squad for Cork.
    But the Mayo manager also confirmed that All Star forward Cillian O’Connor won’t feature ‘until at least the end of March’. He added: ‘Whether he gets back for any part of the National League is really 50/50’.
    “Andy [Moran] and Alan [Dillon] are possibly March as well.”
    Coincidentally, Mayo will take on Roscommon in the penultimate round of the National League on Sunday, March 27 at Dr Hyde Park, Roscommon.
    The counties meet on Sunday in the third round of the FBD League knowing that the winners will qualify for the final of the competition seven days later.
    After wins over third-level opposition in recent weeks, Stephen Rochford knows that Mayo will have their mettle really tested by a Roscommon outfit that have been training hard now for almost two months.
    “Roscommon are in Division 1, they’ll want to be very competitive in the first few games, and going by the scoreline last week they look to be in really good shape,” admitted the Mayo boss.
    “We’re going a few rungs up the ladder next Sunday, and we’ll know a lot more about the group after that game.”

Stretton ruled out
    YOUNG Claremorris defender James Stretton will not get an opportunity to stake a claim for a place in Mayo’s National League squad this season.
    Stretton underwent surgery on a shoulder injury early last week and is expected to be out of action for approximately three months.
    He had been an unused substitute for Mayo’s opening FBD League game against NUI, Galway earlier this month.

MISSING FACES
    THE following 26 players were not available for selection for Mayo’s squad last Sunday.

Club commitments
    Tom Cunniffe, Paddy Durcan, Donie Newcombe, Eoghan O’Reilly, Ger McDonagh, Barry Moran, Danny Kirby, Neil Douglas.
    Stephen Coen.

Injured
    Chris Barrett, Cathal Carolan, David Clarke, Mickey Conroy, Alan Dillon, David Drake, Michael Hall, Andy Moran, Cillian O’Connor, Diarmuid O’Connor, Aidan O’Shea, Seamus O’Shea, James Stretton, Mikey Sweeney.

Unavailable
    Alan Freeman, Conor O’Shea, Evan Regan.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/irishnews/sport/article4665631.ece
    If they are a group of players supposedly feeling the pressure, in the context of what they did in October, and what they didn’t do in September, then Diarmuid O’Connor, the Mayo forward, has a good way of hiding his discomfort.
    O’Connor was part of the Mayo panel who rebelled against Pat Holmes and Noel Connelly, their joint management team of 2015, a month after their season ended at the All-Ireland semi-final stage. Yet he insists that the players decision to pass a motion of no confidence in their former management team was not a case of passing the buck.
    “It was difficult,” O’Connor said. “Be under no illiusion, it was unfortunate the way things panned out in the end. No-one ever wanted to be in a situation like that but it happened and we have moved forward and are just focusing on this year now and seeing where we can improve.
    “We don’t feel under any particular pressure because of what happened with the vote of confidence. There has always been pressure around the Mayo players, the same way there is on players in every county.
    “For us, there has always been an expectation there but it’s healthy to have that and if, as a player, you can’t deal with it then you shouldn’t be in inter-county football. The important thing is to make sure you do not let it overwhelm you but instead use it to drive you on.”
    Like every other year since 1951, when they last won the All-Ireland, this year Mayo are driving for an All-Ireland, having come so close to success over the course of the last four years, having lost semi-finals, after replays, in each of the last two seasons as well as losing the 2012 and 2013 finals.
    If it is to happen, though, then they need their key players fit. And right now, neither Diarmuid O’Connor nor Cillian, his brother, are available with Diarmuid battling a hamstring complaint while Cillian is recovering from knee surgery which will keep him out until April. “He might feature in the latter stages of the Allianz league,” O’Connor said. “The main thing is that when he comes back, he’s 100 per cent fit.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Great news the match has been moved to McHale Park on Sunday!:D

Presuming the Hyde is unplayable.
    It is planned to install a new pitch in Hyde Park.
    :D

http://www.gaaroscommon.ie/news/fbdmatchchange

heard yesterday that cbar mitchels have to travel to cavan for a ai semi for the game at 7.30. Why dont they have it in winsdor park belfast while there at it. (not that i care about mitchels anyway, cant stand them)

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »

What does he want them to do? Hide under a rock for the next year..
    The players were 100% right to do what they did. They have been used to playing and being managed to a very high standard the past few years so why, when they are so close to winning an all-ireland, why settle for less when all they need is that little bit extra. If they felt pat and noel were'nt up to the same standards of course they were right to do so. Obviously it's not a nice thing to happen but why take a step backwards when an winning an all-ireland is so close to happening for them..
    its people writing rubbish like this that hopefully will motivate them more.

FT North West Cup Donegal 1-9 Mayo 1-8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Live commentary on Mid-West.

Very poor match. Roscommon looked like they wanted to win more and deserved the win. Keith Higgins and Kevin Keane both went off injured, hopefully nothing too serious there.

FT Mayo 10 Roscommon 13

Deserved win for Roscommon,not a great performance by the Green and Red.
    Poor start...2 injuries....Keith Higgins knee and Kevin Keane's shoulder disrupted any momentum we are trying to gain in the early stages.Poor Tom Parsons dislocated a finger again but resumed shortly after.

Stand out performers Ger Cafferkey was very solid in the full back line,Colm Boyle outstanding in the half backs.Midfield extremely solid again with Tom Parsons and Jason Gibbons.

Conor Loftus kicked his frees and scored an exquisite point from out on the right at the Bacon factory end in the second half.He went off with what look likes a relatively minor injury.

The soft and heavy conditions hampered our forwards,nonetheless there was a lack of directness and accuracy in the execution of both our handpassing and footpassing today.

Kevin McLoughlin was definitely missed today.

Padraig O Hora gave away quite a few frees at corner back,he was giving away quite a bit in terms of his height and physique to his direct opponent.

Donal Vaughan is conclusively not a forward and never was and never will be ...

Good to see Lee Keegan get another run out,ditto Diarmuid O Connor.

There seemed to be a real lack of urgency or intensity from Mayo, until the last 5 minutes or so, at which point things seemed to liven up a bit. They also seemed rather cautious at times. I thought Jason Doherty was anonymous throughout too and O'Hora looked frustrated at points. Parsons and Gibbons both good in midfield. It was nice to see Diarmuid O'Connor out there too.

I thought it was obvious that Roscommon had been back training together a little bit longer. They were just that little bit sharper.

Found the ref slightly frustrating. It felt like there was a great deal of stopping and starting.

• Advertisement

I love watching Diarmuid o'connor play. Even though he only came on in the middle of the second half he's just a joy to watch. Great chip up along the sideline.
    I missed the first few minutes of the match. What happened to keith? A knee injury? Did it look a serious injury?

I love watching Diarmuid o'connor play. Even though he only came on in the middle of the second half he's just a joy to watch. Great chip up along the sideline.
    I missed the first few minutes of the match. What happened to keith? A knee injury? Did it look a serious injury?

It seemed to be his knee. He tried to play on, but ended up having to come off a couple of minutes later. Hopefully it's not very serious. Kevin Keane seemed to do his shoulder.

The referee was indeed infuriating at times,I see Marty Duffy was running the line....There was a total lack of urgency until the game seemed to running away from them.That pick up by Diarmuid was a joy to behold,a skill he is has honed very well.Extremely difficult to chip a ball up at pace especially in those conditions.

It was mentioned on MWR by Stephen Rochford that the 2 lads will have scans done but the injuries do not at first glance appear to be too serious.

There was very vocal disapproval of the ref at different points. A couple of his decisions were puzzling and he just didn't let the play flow at all.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement