Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

Well at least its a good sign keith was able walk off. vaughan had a bad game today i taught. his tackling i taught was particularly bad, and i dont like saying that about him. The whole team looked rather lethargic the whole game. roscommon were way more up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Yes, I definitely thought energy levels looked low too. There never seemed to be much pace or momentum to Mayo's game.

Overall, I just thought that Roscommon looked like a team that had a bit more work done, were a bit more organized and sharper. Could see them coming with a great deal of purpose for the Connaught championship this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Rossies beat Mayo in Mayo in the FBD.
    Its like déjà vu all over again.

Keith Higgins and Kevin Keane to go for scans on their injuries early this week, according to Rochford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

PressRun wrote: »
    Keith Higgins and Kevin Keane to go for scans on their injuries early this week, according to Rochford.

Didn't see what happened them, nothing serious I hope.

Hopefully nothing too serious, though Rochford said in the post-match interview that he expected they would be out for the beginning of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

the rossies had nearly a full team out we had who ah ever we could find that wasnt injured or playing club.
    vaughan does not no where to play these days i cant see him holding down a starting place if he starts evey game in a different place.
    thought gibbons was weak only woke up the last 5 mins,parsons was very good did he do something to his finger he was on the sideline a long time.

higgins twisted his knee from what i heard kk shoulder gone will be out for a good bit.
    mayo looked to have no energy heavy training and playing on wet soggy pitch as well doesnt help.
    did the rosses have there fun bus with them or did it start its being sat up for a long time:pac::pac::pac:

Parsons dislocated his finger. They just sorted it out on the sideline.

Rochford said in the post match interview that Kevin Keane has a rotator cuff injury. Not sure about Keith Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

naughto wrote: »
    the rossies had nearly a full team out we had who ah ever we could find that wasnt injured or playing club.
    vaughan does not no where to play these days i cant see him holding down a starting place if he starts evey game in a different place.
    thought gibbons was weak only woke up the last 5 mins,parsons was very good did he do something to his finger he was on the sideline a long time.

higgins twisted his knee from what i heard kk shoulder gone will be out for a good bit.
    mayo looked to have no energy heavy training and playing on wet soggy pitch as well doesnt help.
    did the rosses have there fun bus with them or did it start its being sat up for a long time:pac::pac::pac:

It was said on mid west radio that Mayo started with 7 of the team yesterday that started the All Ireland semi final v Dublin and another two starters D O Connor,L Keegan were brought on. They also said Roscommon had 8 starters from their last championship game.

So your usual pre season game where both were far from full strength. The NFL game between the two in March should give a better idea of how both are shaping up for the year ahead.

So how do we see the Cork game going? I reckon Mayo might struggle, what with all the injuries and it probably being a more experimental team than might have been fielded if key players were fully fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we get anything out of the Cork game what with the crazy list of injuries.Aidan O Shea may be back but Keith Higgins likely absence is a huge loss.

A long trip down leeside is never likely to be an easy proposition.I'd imagine Cork do not have the same catalogue of injuries.A new manager Peadar Healy to impress after the largely lost years of Brian Cuthbert's reign when undoubtedly the rebels underachieved.TBH he's a bit of an unknown quantity to me.

We'll certainly get a better indication of how well able some of newbies are to perform at the highest level.It would be a decent start at a minimum to get 2 points from a treacherous couple of opening games v Cork and Dublin.In past years we've been quite slow off the mark league wise.

I've not hear too much about the new Cork manager either. It'll be interesting to see if they pull it together this year, they could be one to keep an eye on as the year progresses.

It'll be a good test for the new players, to be sure. Who do you reckon will come in for Keith Higgins and Kevin Keane? I think Conor Loftus is out with a hamstring injury too.

Not too sure PressRun,presumably Ger Caff will slot in at full back.There have been so many permutations tried positionally it hard's to know who'll slot in the corner.Possibly Brendan Harrison could slot in to one corner or less likely options are young Padraig O Hora and David Kenny.Shane McHale has played in the full back line before,he came on as full back v Galway in 2013 and has played in the corner back position.He's not quickest mind you but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he'll be moved back into a corner back position.That's a real shame about Conor Loftus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Full backline will likely be:
    Brendan Harrison Ger Cafferkey Padraig OHora
    Half backline:
    Keegan Boyle Nally
    Keegan is available I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Any word on the free cairdre maigheo stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Last year the free stuff was made available around Easter. Think it's possibly only for new subscribers this year?

Full backline will likely be:
    Brendan Harrison Ger Cafferkey Padraig OHora
    Half backline:
    Keegan Boyle Nally
    Keegan is available I think.

Anybody else think Donal Vaughan may struggle to nail down a starting spot this year?
    Patrick Durkan has to come back in too.Lee Keegan is definitely available for selection.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Anybody else think Donal Vaughan may struggle to nail down a starting spot this year?
    Patrick Durkan has to come back in too.Lee Keegan is definitely available for selection.
    Him and many others. If the U21s/Castlebar/Hollymount/early 20s fringe lads are in form there isnt more than maybe eight players sure of their place.
    The corner forward positions are completely open for example. Thats two spots alone.

I think Donal Vaughan will struggle for a starting place, but it's a good sign that there's potentially going to be a bit of competition for places.

Padraig O'Hora has a bit of bite, though he still looks on the smaller side. He might need to bulk up a bit more, but I think there's potential there.

• Advertisement

Him and many others. If the U21s/Castlebar/Hollymount/early 20s fringe lads are in form there isnt more than maybe eight players sure of their place.
    The corner forward positions are completely open for example. Thats two spots alone.

Totally agreed I think there's going to be fierce competition for places,a very healthy state of affairs.

So how do we see the Cork game going? I reckon Mayo might struggle, what with all the injuries and it probably being a more experimental team than might have been fielded if key players were fully fit.

Cork game will he very important.
    Mayo have only three home games this year and two of them are v Dublin and Kerry, the other is v Down.
    The away games are Monaghan, Roscommon Cork and Donegal.

Div 1 consolidation should be their aim with a SF place a bonus.
    So a result in Cork would be very handy.

No idea how it would go however, even though they have been good in the league Cork gave possibily been the most inconsistent team of the decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

If all fit I would expect Cafferkey,Higgins,Cunniffe,Vaughan,Boyle,Keegan,SOS,AOS,Parsons,D O Connor,C O Connor,K McLoughlin to be certain starters this summer that leaves just 3 spots on the starting 15 open.

Cafferkey, Higgins, Cuniffe, Vaughan, SOS, AOS, C O Connor, McLaughlin.

8 guys that played v Cork in 2011 and Keegan and Boyle arrived in 2012.

That's a lot of reliance on the same guys.

I figure two in full backline, one in half backline, one midfielder, Two in full forward line uncertain. Given that Flanagan is playing well in goals potentially 7 spots uncertain.
    Of those Im confident will start.
    Higgins
    Keegan
    Boyle
    Parsons
    McGloughlin
    Cillian
    Diarmuid
    AOS
    Those are the eight at this point I'm confident will start.
    Look at defence where Nally, Durcan and Coen are in the mix. So there's no way Cunniffe, Vaughan, Cafferkey are certain starters. Cafferkey and Keane are usually trading the full back jersey between them.
    Durcan is Club player of the year and flying.
    Nally is playing well.
    Coen is improved and Hollymounts leader.

I definitely don't think Vaughan or Cunniffe are certainties at all. There doesn't even seem to be any consensus on where Vaughan is best placed. I think Keane could become more regular too.

• Advertisement

Certain starters pour moi.
    Higgins
    Keegan
    Boyle Our standout player in the FBD
    Parsons
    Diarmuid O Connor
    Cillian O Connor
    Aidan O Shea
    Probably Kevin McLoughlin

Robert Hennelly is favourite for the number one jersey. Definitely 2 slots in the full back line up for grabs,I'd be inclined to favour Kevin Keane for full back,Ger Cafferkey and Tom Cunniffe will have plenty of competition with Brendan Harrison,young Padraig O Hora may be too green for championship action this year.
    Patrick Durkan has a great chance of tieing down a starting spot,Shane Nally has had a decent FBD.I can't see Caolan Crowe or Shane McHale making the breakthrough.I think I'm in the minority but I don't think Donal Vaughan will start.
    Competition at midfield will be fierce,Jason Gibbons has what it takes to challenge Seamus O Shea for a starting spot that without bringing Barry Moran into the equation!
    Lots of very capable Mitchels lads will be chomping at the bit.
    Up front things get interesting,I think Conor Loftus has to a credible option to start,none of the others offered an opportunity during the FBD consistently performed to indicate there is no option but to start them.Mark Ronaldson performed very well in the FBD but I don't think he'll start come summer.Darren McHale and Keith Ruttledge performed well on a sporadic basis.I'd hope we see more of Evan Regan during the league.Jason Doherty will be under a degree of pressure for a starting spot.

Update on Keith Higgins's injury,ditto Kevin Keane.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/27105-mayo-duo-facing-spell-on-the-sidelines

Cork v Mayo is live on TG4
    Mayo v Dublin is live on Setanta Ireland
    Donegal v Mayo is live on TG4

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

If anyone here does the Allianz predictions league, we've set up a mini league again this year. Anyone interested in joining here's the Mayo Club 51 code

5WGFS8Jl5VMy

More details here;
    http://mayoclub51.com/allianz-prediction-league-2016/

It finished Mayo 1-9 Donegal 1-9 after ET in the under 21 North West Cup cup final.Date,time and venue for replay to be decided.

• Advertisement

Ardnaree and Holltmount playing today.
    Against whom I don't know but I assume its two nordies.

Best of luck to them.

On the other side there are two Kerry teams.
    Would be nice to get one final v a Kerry team a beat them for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Great achievement for hollymount carramore and ardnaree. Great for mayo football and hopefully castlebar join them in the all ireland.

Best of luck to them.

And they both won.

Hollymount/Carramore 0-15, Loughinisland (I think) 0-10.

Ardnaree 0-11, Rockcorry 0-6.

Well done to both.

Final Saturday Fed 6th.

Hollymount/Carramore play St Mary's Cahersiveen.

Ardnaree play Templenoe, club of Pat Spillane.

Best of luck to them.

Hopefully we can banish those Kerry demons on the double Father Tod.

Hopefully we can banish those Kerry demons on the double Father Tod.

I recall Kiltimagh lost to Castlegregory in a classic junior final a few years back but I think there was another Mayo club that lost to a Kerry club recently.
    Anyone know ?

It must also be noted that Kerry clubs have a problem with losing to Tyrone clubs in these competitions too, we all have our demons.

An interview done with Rochford has been cropping up around the place. He discusses the league, amongst other things, but he's not really giving much away, tbh.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/mayo-manager-rochford-undaunted-by-the-scale-of-his-task-1.2510095

I think Aidan O'Shea might be on Off the Ball tonight too, if anyone's interested in that.

Aidan's interview with the Off the Ball lads was quite good. Very nice fella. I'm sure the podcast will be up online fairly soon for anyone who missed it.

Missed the interview,totally agree with the sentiments you express re Aidan O Shea.

Here's a link to the Mayo News National Football League preview podcast.Encouraging news re the injuries,most especially Keith Higgins.

http://www.mayonews.ie/listen/football-podcast/27146-audio-football-podcast-2016-1-national-league-preview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I see O'Shea is going to be playing some american football soon

http://www.the42.ie/aidan-oshea-american-football-the-toughest-2568318-Jan2016/

Apparently they were sending him over to The Eagles training camp, but when he was told he might be going to Philly he became quite distressed :D

Aidan's interview with the Off the Ball lads was quite good. Very nice fella. I'm sure the podcast will be up online fairly soon for anyone who missed it.

It's a damn good interview.

It is a good interview. He comes across well, no massive ego there or anything, and seemed happy to talk about everything they asked him about, even controversial topics. I find GAA players can sometimes be a wee bit cagey or vague in interviews, perhaps understandably, but he's quite open. Seems like a genuinely nice guy.

Bambi wrote: »
    I see O'Shea is going to be playing some american football soon

http://www.the42.ie/aidan-oshea-american-football-the-toughest-2568318-Jan2016/

Apparently they were sending him over to The Eagles training camp, but when he was told he might be going to Philly he became quite distressed :D

He's heading over on Feb 7th, the day of the Superbowl, the last game of the NFL season, the off season starts the next day, so it will be interesting to see where he is going and what he is doing.

It was handy for Tyrrell last year cos MLB Spring Training is in Feb/Mar.

NFL and college football training does not star till July so a bad time to do this experiment with high profile GAA players.

Very strong Cork team named for Sunday.

Ken O Halloran (Bishopstown)
    Colm O Driscoll (Tadhg MacCarthaigh)
    Eoin Cadogan (Douglas)
    Jamie O Sullivan (Bishopstown)
    Tomas Clancy (Fermoy)
    Brian O Driscoll (Tadhg MacCarthaigh)
    James Loughrey (Mallow)
    Ian Maguire (St Finbarrs)
    Mark Collins (Castlehaven)
    Andrew O Sullivan (Castletownbere)
    Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers)
    Luke Connolly (Nemo Rangers)
    Daniel Goulding (Eire Og)
    Peter Kelleher (Kilmichael)
    Brian Hurley (Castlehaven)

Colm O Neill on the bench

Missed the interview,totally agree with the sentiments you express re Aidan O Shea.

Here's a link to the Mayo News National Football League preview podcast.Encouraging news re the injuries,most especially Keith Higgins.

http://www.mayonews.ie/listen/football-podcast/27146-audio-football-podcast-2016-1-national-league-preview

Good podcast from The Mayo News as always.
    One interesting point mentioned that will disappoint a few posters here, they said that neither Rochford or Macintee were defensive gurus and neither like to play a blanked defence type game.
    Which is interesting because many thought that Macintee was being brought in to add that defensive, northern element.

Another pod cast will available today by all accounts with Billy Joe giving his preview of the league.

Very strong Cork team named for Sunday.

Ken O Halloran (Bishopstown)
    Colm O Driscoll (Tadhg MacCarthaigh)
    Eoin Cadogan (Douglas)
    Jamie O Sullivan (Bishopstown)
    Tomas Clancy (Fermoy)
    Brian O Driscoll (Tadhg MacCarthaigh)
    James Loughrey (Mallow)
    Ian Maguire (St Finbarrs)
    Mark Collins (Castlehaven)
    Andrew O Sullivan (Castletownbere)
    Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers)
    Luke Connolly (Nemo Rangers)
    Daniel Goulding (Eire Og)
    Peter Kelleher (Kilmichael)
    Brian Hurley (Castlehaven)

Colm O Neill on the bench

Cork have a habit of playing the full deck during the league, doing well and then failing in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭crossvilla

If you want a chance to make some money for yourself and your club you can join www.allianzleaguespredictions.ie and predict each weeks NFL results. I've set up a mini league for anyone who would like to join. It keeps you interested and can stop you from betting! Details below:

Mini League called '2016NFL'. League's ID code is: N4Qkrmcj1gnb.

Mayo begin their Allianz league campaign with a trip to Páirc Uí Rinn on Sunday. New Mayo manager Stephen Rochford has named a team with a mix of youth and experience with Sundays starting 15 showing 9 survivors from those who started Mayo's last championship game which was against Dublin in the All Ireland semi-final replay in September 2015. The 9 players who have retained their place are Robbie Hennelly, Ger Cafferkey, Lee Keegan, Tom Parsons, Kevin McLoughlin, Aidan O'Shea, Diarmuid O'Connor, Donal Vaughan & Jason Doherty.

Lee Keegan will captain the team on the day - no captain for the season has been appointed yet.

The Mayo team for Sunday’s round Allianz Football League clash with Cork, in Páirc Uí Rinn at 2pm is:

1. Robbie Hennelly (Breaffy)
    2. Brendan Harrison (Aghamore);
    3. Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites)
    4. Shane McHale (Knockmore);
    5. Lee Keegan (Westport, captain);
    6. Caolan Crowe (Garrymore)
    7. Shane Nally (Garrymore);
    8. Tom Parsons (Charlestown);
    9. Jason Gibbons (Ballintubber);
    10. Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore);
    11. Aidan O’Shea (Breaffy);
    12. Diarmuid O’Connor (Ballintubber);
    13. Evan Regan (Ballina Stephenites);
    14. Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe);
    15. Jason Doherty (Burrishoole).

Team Manager: Stephen Rochford.
    Selectors: Donie Buckley, Tony McEntee and Sean Carey.

• Advertisement

Bizarre selection of Donal Vaughan at full forward,not greatly surprised Shane McHale has gone into the corner as opposed to Padraig O Hora.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement