Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

seligehgit wrote: »
    Bizarre selection of Donal Vaughan at full forward,not greatly surprised Shane McHale has gone into the corner as opposed to Padraig O Hora.

Vaughan is not a full forward I think he will struggle to make the team when we have every one back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

seligehgit wrote: »
    Bizarre selection of Donal Vaughan at full forward,not greatly surprised Shane McHale has gone into the corner as opposed to Padraig O Hora.

Vaughan is not a full forward I think he will struggle to make the team when we have every one back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Little bit disappointed that Conor Loftus isn't starting and I've no idea what's going on with Donal Vaughan. Interested to see Evan Regan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Just reading on the Journal there about how between Cork, Kerry and Dublin that the league winners won the AI four out of the last 7 years.
    And Donegals poor form in 13 continued into the championship.
    With that in mind i was thinking that a league win would do wonders for Mayo, I know people run it down, but it's a very important competition imo, Cork seem to start the league well in the last few years too.

Best of luck today/tomorrow.

Stoner wrote: »
    Just reading on the Journal there about how between Cork, Kerry and Dublin that the league winners won the AI four out of the last 7 years.
    With that in mind i was thinking that a league win would do wonders for Mayo, I know people run it down, but it's a very important competition imo, Cork seem to start the league well in the last few years too.

I think if there was a fully fit squad and no club commitments and what have you, then a serious crack at winning the league might have been on the cards. As it stands with injuries and players tied up with clubs, survival in division one now seems to be the more realistic prospect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Stoner wrote: »

Had the old management remained in place then a proper go at winning the league should have been an ambition.

Same goes for '13 and '14 after the AI losses under Horan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

David Brady was saying the same thing this morning on tv3 . League trophies would be a very welcome boost .

After Donegal and dublins performance last night and the dubs coming to castkebar next week . It could put us in a tough position until injuries and club commitments come to assist .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I wasn't expecting a win but this performance is pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Hennelly good
    Conor o shea good
    The rest not good
    Move on :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Pathetic tbh. Very few players showed any hunger to reel the score back when Cork pulled away.

Conor O'Shea looking great though, class couple of points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Obviously i'm not from Mayo, but i'm pretty annoyed that they let Keegan stay on after the blow to the head for so long.

I get that he's captain, but at the time ye were 13 points down. To put a guy in danger of a serious brain injury, by leaving him on is madness.

Doctors/Management need to be stronger there IMO. I just hope he's ok. Never nice to see any lad get a head injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Obviously i'm not from Mayo, but i'm pretty annoyed that they let Keegan stay on after the blow to the head for so long.

I get that he's captain, but at the time ye were 13 points down. To put a guy in danger of a serious brain injury, by leaving him on is madness.

Doctors/Management need to be stronger there IMO. I just hope he's ok. Never nice to see any lad get a head injury.

Will be surprised if he is not concussed and out for next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

km79 wrote: »
    Will be surprised if he is not concussed and out for next weekend

What are the guidelines with concussion in the GAA? Are you automatically out for the next game?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Cork seem so much hungrier and fitter.The amount of space Cork players were given was amazing,the players were standing way off.

Aidan O Shea's introduction did make a difference.Positives,Conor O Shea was excellent,Robert Hennelly kept the score respectable.The second penalty seemed a tad harsh.Evan Regan kicked a few decent dress but there were some pretty poor wides.
    Very apprehensive of next Saturday night.Lee Keegan should definitely have been called ashore.I can't see how he'll be fit for action after what appears to be an obvious concussion injury.

Meh. Gutted/not100% fit panel and totally behind in terms of training put in together, so I'm neither surprised nor all that worried, tbh. Cork looked fitter and more organized probably due to having about month's more work put in.

Conor O'Shea did well as did Robbie Hennelly. Lee Keegan should have been taken off immediately after the clash of heads.

On a side note, the pitch looked terrible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I know its only the league and we were at home with a strong line up, but I was expecting a bit more from Mayo.

There wasn't much fight in ye. A fine crowd travelled down for the match but they didn't get a lot to shout about.

With the dubs up next I hope ye give a better performance at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

We need a few of these type results in January/February just to keep a bit of realism in our hopes for this year.

kippy wrote: »
    We need a few of these type results in January/February just to keep a bit of realism in our hopes for this year.

That's a daft statement.

A win today would not have made a blind bit of difference to the the perception of our hopes for this year.

We won in Kerry 12 months ago, did that have a negative affect on anyone ?

The game was what it was, a team with a few important players injured and a few new startetes v a Cork team that was stronger and more determined and at home.
    Could Mayo have done better of course, but coming out of that saying its good we lost to keep a bit of realism is just stupid.

The goal should be Div 1 survival, and there is still ample opportunity for that.

That's a daft statement.

A win today would not have made a blind bit of difference to the the perception of our hopes for this year.

The game was what it was, a team with a few important players injured and a few new startetes v a Cork team that was stronger and more determined and at home.
    Could Mayo have done better of course, but coming out of that saying its good we lost to keep a bit of realism is just stupid.

The goal should be Div 1 survival, and there is still ample opportunity for that.

Why do you think that should be the goal? You have often advocated on here how Mayo should be saying that their goal is an All-Ireland and how it is not arrogant to say that is your goal. Why not apply that to this year's league as well? Really, I think Mayo should be aiming for something more than just survival if they are to have any chance of an All-Ireland later in the year.

Absolutely,all this talk of Mayo winning the league was never realistic what with the crazy list of injuries and club tied players anything else,Stephen Rochford confirmed division one survival is the aim.

It is tad disappointing that some of these new lads did not put their hands up for a starting spot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Why do you think that should be the goal? You have often advocated on here how Mayo should be saying that their goal is an All-Ireland and how it is not arrogant to say that is your goal. Why not apply that to this year's league as well? Really, I think Mayo should be aiming for something more than just survival if they are to have any chance of an All-Ireland later in the year.

But the league has no bearing on the All Ireland. Cork normally do very well in the lge but not in our quest for Sam. Kerry normally struggle in the lge but will always be there or thereabouts for Sam.

As I said earlier if they did not have a new manager in place then yea, a league title should be an ambition.

But with a new manager I don't expect that, there had to be a bedding in period.

The difference between 4th and 6th I'd not great so of they get to a SF great, they could reevaluate, but the minimum should be survival and everything after that is bonus.

Maybe I should have said "minimal" rather than "goal" in the post you quoted.

Kevin McLoughlin and Lee Keegan both expected to be out next week for the Dublin match. Reckon that one will be a write off too. Wouldn't be surprised if they're looking ahead to the Donegal match as an opportunity to salvage something.

Questions should be asked of the medical team over their decision to allow Lee Keegan to play on after the clash of heads. Absolutely crazy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Awful stuff today. Long journey home from Cork now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

We're way off in terms of fitness, and that's before you even consider the injury and selection issues. Realistically we're looking at 0 from 3 here and then try to make up the ground in the last four games. On the upside in terms of league survival Down look poor and Roscommon are already in trouble having lost one of their 'must win' games at home to Monaghan (the FBD was clearly played at a very low standard this year). So, even if we lose the first three games we'll still have it in our own hands with games against the two other most likely relegation candidates still to play.

Longer term we just need to make sure we are up to speed and have pretty much everyone back by June. The real season for us this year starts on the 18th of June so there's nearly five months available to catch up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Not much to take from that, apart from Robbie preventing what would have been a cricket score.

Unfortunately, not a lot to look forward to next weekend either, the Dubs looked really sharp last night.

I caught Rochford's post match interview on Mid-West, sadly it did nothing for my current pessimism......

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Not much to take from that, apart from Robbie preventing what would have been a cricket score.

Unfortunately, not a lot to look forward to next weekend either, the Dubs looked really sharp last night.

I caught Rochford's post match interview on Mid-West, sadly it did nothing for my current pessimism......

I heard him on Newstalk. Seemed to come across as very cagey or nervy when they asked him about not taking Keegan off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

That's a daft statement.

Top 4 in the country looking for survival:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

With down Monaghan and Roscommon away .
    It makes it difficult to think past a mid table or relegation battle.

players seemed to be lacking game time and cohesion . Cork were much sharper in terms of awareness and simple tracking of players to closing out any opportunities .
    I would say 0 from 3 is very realistic just now .
    Any word of hopeful returns to the panel over the next 6 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Uncle Ben wrote: »

Yes, this isn't the premier league, only six teams stay up. Missing half a team and behind others in training means a battle for survival.

FWIW we're the longest standing team in the top division. Even Dublin and Kerry have been out of Division 1 since we last were.

Uncle Ben wrote: »

Yes, its not as straight forward as just saying you are a Top 4 team thus you will survive.

Mayo have 3 home and 4 away.
    Two of the home are v Dublin and Kerry.
    They are missing Castlebar players for at least 2 games, and possibly longer.
    They have long and short term injuries that need to be sorted come championship.
    They need to try new players.
    They have a new management.

So all of it means that Div 1 survival is not a bad outcome.

I did not see the incident properly on TV but I saw home coming off and holding his head in the dugout after, he looked pretty shaken.
    How long was he on the field between the clash and being taken off ?

I did not see the incident properly on TV but I saw home coming off and holding his head in the dugout after, he looked pretty shaken.
    10 mins.

Crazy stuff. Hope he hasn't suffered any more damage.

10 mins.

Crazy stuff. Hope he hasn't suffered any more damage.

• Advertisement

About 10 minutes. The lad he clashed with came off immediately, but it seemed like Lee was protesting that he wanted to play on. In that situation though, I think it's up to management and the medical team to put the foot down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Keegan was left sitting in the dug out in the shirt he played in after bring ta ken off. We are constantly hearing of how well set up county teams are these days and they couldn't find a jacket for an injured player? When a soccer player is subbed there is a lad holding a jacket for him to get into in case he can't manage it himself. Mayo were hopeless today, at least 6 players a stone over weight AOS 2 stone. Ger caff has no weight issues but he has enough to be going with trying to sort out his marking issues Mayo are much better than they showed todsy but are not AI contenders either. They are weak in many key areas and don't have nearly the strength in depth. Relegation is a possibility but 4 points may keep them afloat considering how bad Down were last night an Ross are up against it after vital game defeat today. Damage limitation the priority for Dubs visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Keegan was left sitting in the dug out in the shirt he played in after bring ta ken off. We are constantly hearing of how well set up county teams are these days and they couldn't find a jacket for an injured player? When a soccer player is subbed there is a lad holding a jacket for him to get into in case he can't manage it himself. Mayo were hopeless today, at least 6 players a stone over weight AOS 2 stone. Ger caff has no weight issues but he has enough to be going with trying to sort out his marking issues Mayo are much better than they showed todsy but are not AI contenders either. They are weak in many key areas and don't have nearly the strength in depth. Relegation is a possibility but 4 points may keep them afloat considering how bad Down were last night an Ross are up against it after vital game defeat today. Damage limitation the priority for Dubs visit.

Don't agree with that - I didn't think one Mayo player looked overweight. AOS looked in great shape.

This was nothing like I've seen from Mayo in recent seasons. Must be that they are way behind in preparation. Dangerous decision. Will be very hard to beat Dublin and 0 pts from 2 games will make it difficult.

What really amazed me was Mayo's effort (or lack of) after HT - they needed a very quick start to make a game of it but Cork kicked 5 pts without reply and missed a penalty before Mayo scored.

Why pick AOS and then let him out ? I was delighted to hear he wasn't playing and I'm sure it was a boost to Cork players too.

Fantastic support for Mayo today - credit to county - puts our support to shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Don't agree with that - I didn't think one Mayo player looked overweight. AOS looked in great shape.

This was nothing like I've seen from Mayo in recent seasons. Must be that they are way behind in preparation. Dangerous decision. Will be very hard to beat Dublin and 0 pts from 2 games will make it difficult.

What really amazed me was Mayo's effort (or lack of) after HT - they needed a very quick start to make a game of it but Cork kicked 5 pts without reply and missed a penalty before Mayo scored.

Why pick AOS and then let him out ? I was delighted to hear he wasn't playing and I'm sure it was a boost to Cork players too.

Fantastic support for Mayo today - credit to county - puts our support to shame.

Was my first time at a game in Cork for a Mayo game. Really puts into perspective the unreal support there is for our senior footballers. Must have been 75% of the total support in Pairc Ui Rinn up from the west. Unbelievable commitment and even if the footballers didn't perform today, we enjoyed the weekend. Good sorts, the Rebels

This is interesting. Is it a new medical team? Wasn't this one of the issues the players had last year? They weren't happy with the medical team. Doesn't augur well that this medical team have gotten off to a controversial start.

• Advertisement

This is interesting. Is it a new medical team? Wasn't this one of the issues the players had last year? They weren't happy with the medical team. Doesn't augur well that this medical team have gotten off to a controversial start.

Dr. Sean Moffatt is the team doctor and has been since the Horan years. I believe it was a physiotherapist from last year that they weren't happy with.

To be fair to Dr. Moffatt, he is a good doctor and seems to be well-liked by the players. At least the medical staff took responsibility and admitted a mistake was made rather than just ignoring it. It can't happen again, but the medical team need to put the foot down with incidents like this, with the backing of management, and players need to listen to the medical team instead of insisting on playing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Was my first time at a game in Cork for a Mayo game. Really puts into perspective the unreal support there is for our senior footballers. Must have been 75% of the total support in Pairc Ui Rinn up from the west. Unbelievable commitment and even if the footballers didn't perform today, we enjoyed the weekend. Good sorts, the Rebels

I was in the middle of a big group of Mayo Supporters and we had great banter.

The man next to me was very knowledgeable. He said it was game over at HT because Mayo hadn't the players to kick pts from distance. Mayo need O Connor.

I can see Connaught getting competitive again - Galway and Rossies are improving teams.

PressRun wrote: »
    Dr. Sean Moffatt is the team doctor and has been since the Horan years. I believe it was a physiotherapist from last year that they weren't happy with.

To be fair to Dr. Moffatt, he is a good doctor and seems to be well-liked by the players. At least the medical staff took responsibility and admitted a mistake was made rather than just ignoring it. It can't happen again, but the medical team need to put the foot down with incidents like this, with the backing of management, and players need to listen to the medical team instead of insisting on playing on.

Yeah, seems a fairly unusual step by the medical team. Not sure I can remember it ever happening in the past before.

The man next to me was very knowledgeable. He said it was game over at HT because Mayo hadn't the players to kick pts from distance.

Twas probably TTM in disguise :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Peter Quinn RIP.

There can't be more than a handful left now from 50/51.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I was in the middle of a big group of Mayo Supporters and we had great banter.

The man next to me was very knowledgeable. He said it was game over at HT because Mayo hadn't the players to kick pts from distance. Mayo need O Connor.

I can see Connaught getting competitive again - Galway and Rossies are improving teams.

Have to agree with this to some extent. Jason Doherty is a great player, as is Evan Regan, but they can't score from distance and to be fair to Cork they were well able to do that today and were impressive in their selection and accuracy from distance. Add to that, the number of wides today was a lot higher than it should have been, whereas Cork were a lot better at converting their chances.
    Had we an Andy Moran or Alan Dillion available today it may have put a better gloss on the score line, as both would be better able to create and take opportunities. But the day was always going to be Corks day given the available squad compared to theirs today. Even if we had all available I doubt we would have come away with anything given how far off the pace we were.

Can't see us getting much from the next 2 games and I'd hope we can stay up in division 1. Things will have to improve on today's performance for that to happen. Early days yet to be getting too worried, and no championship was ever won before September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Just watched it now, cork were out if the blocks fast, they looked very good.

Thought Conor O'Shea looked good .
    Cork look physically big again.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Peter Quinn RIP.

There can't be more than a handful left now from 50/51.

Is there now only 3 of the great 1950/1951 alive?The flying doctor Padraig Carney,Paddy Prendergast domiciled in the kingdom......???

RIP Peter Quinn.

I do believe that young O'Hora should be given a few more runs out during the league. Although he's small, he's not afraid to get stuck in. He has a bit of bite. He might not properly come into his own for another year or two, but there's potential there.

I'll be interested to see if Cork can keep up a good standard further into the year. They probably have an eye on taking Kerry out in Munster. They seemed to take the Munster final loss last year quite hard. They're kind of unpredictable, but they'll be looking to rectify that this year, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Disappointed to see Crowe (a good bit of physicality about him), wandering lost in the half forward line while Donie V was getting the runaround in the half back line.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement