Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

seligehgit wrote: »
    Is there now only 3 of the great 1950/1951 alive?The flying doctor Padraig Carney,Paddy Prendergast domiciled in the kingdom......???

RIP Peter Quinn.

To the best of my knowledge only The Flying Doctor and Paddy Prendergast are now the only remaining men that played on the day till alive

Its a pity that so many have died without seeing another championship won.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

More details re the now sadly deceased Father Peter Quinn courtesy of the Connaught Telegraph.

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/01/31/4113558-death-of-member-of-mayos-1950-and-1951-allireland-winning-team/

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Blackjack wrote: »
    Have to agree with this to some extent. Jason Doherty is a great player, as is Evan Regan, but they can't score from distance and to be fair to Cork they were well able to do that today and were impressive in their selection and accuracy from distance. Add to that, the number of wides today was a lot higher than it should have been, whereas Cork were a lot better at converting their chances.
    Had we an Andy Moran or Alan Dillion available today it may have put a better gloss on the score line, as both would be better able to create and take opportunities. But the day was always going to be Corks day given the available squad compared to theirs today. Even if we had all available I doubt we would have come away with anything given how far off the pace we were.

Can't see us getting much from the next 2 games and I'd hope we can stay up in division 1. Things will have to improve on today's performance for that to happen. Early days yet to be getting too worried, and no championship was ever won before September.

We were missing a lot of our starting 15 too - 4 defenders that started v Kerry - Cronin, Loughrey, Clancy (Clonakilty) and Shields (all will start in c/ship IMO) - Alan O Connor is a huge loss from our MF but it's 50/50 whether he'll recover from a bad knee injury.
    We were also missing 3 forwards that started v Kerry - O Connor, Colm O Neill and Kevin O Driscoll - those 3 and Barry O Driscoll (also out) scored 3-12 combined v Kerry in drawn game.

I think it was mainly down to the fact that we have much more done and ye were missing O Connor. Tommy Carr said Mayo are a team in decline - crazy talk IMO - if Lee Keegan had scored v Dublin - IMO Mayo would be AI champs now - I can't see how they are in decline. It must be very hard to keep it going after all the disappointment but the fact that they insisted on new management suggests they are a team on a mission and I expect them to be Dublin's main rivals. I can see us improving as we had brutal management for 2 years and we have a few good lads coming through but can't see us contend this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Anyone know the attendance today? Think something around 4k was announced at the ground but that seemed a low number for the crowd that was there...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

We were missing a lot of our starting 15 too - 4 defenders that started v Kerry - Cronin, Loughrey, Clancy (Clonakilty) and Shields (all will start in c/ship IMO) - Alan O Connor is a huge loss from our MF but it's 50/50 whether he'll recover from a bad knee injury.
    We were also missing 3 forwards that started v Kerry - O Connor, Colm O Neill and Kevin O Driscoll - those 3 and Barry O Driscoll (also out) scored 3-12 combined v Kerry in drawn game.

I think it was mainly down to the fact that we have much more done and ye were missing O Connor. Tommy Carr said Mayo are a team in decline - crazy talk IMO - if Lee Keegan had scored v Dublin - IMO Mayo would be AI champs now - I can't see how they are in decline. It must be very hard to keep it going after all the disappointment but the fact that they insisted on new management suggests they are a team on a mission and I expect them to be Dublin's main rivals. I can see us improving as we had brutal management for 2 years and we have a few good lads coming through but can't see us contend this season.
    We mightn't be a team in TERMINAL decline however it does take a lot to keep coming back to the well. That plus the fact we've a new management structure for the second year in a row will make it that much more difficult this year to get as far as we have in the past few years, probably makes us look like a team who could well decline this year.
    That said, time will tell, and once everything settles, even if it takes this season, we should manage something major next season.
    A year out of the limelight while we rebuild/adjust might not be the worst thing in the world.
    (I am not writing us off this year, just backing up the assertion that we might be seen as a team in decline)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I might be wrong but I could of sworn that was a semi final game ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

I definitely think there was a contrast in fitness levels too. Cork just looked like a team that had done the extra bit of work and were overall a bit more organized. The fact that they had been back together longer showed and they had a bit more cohesion. Mayo still finding their feet under new management, trying to shake off some of the cobwebs after the break, and the injuries do play a part.

I think Cork will put it up to Kerry in Munster this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see them take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I might be wrong but I could of sworn that was a semi final game ;)

I knew that but I always felt the winners of that final would win the AI. I think Mayo had a score to settle with Kerry after Reilly robbed them in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

PressRun wrote: »
    I definitely think there was a contrast in fitness levels too. Cork just looked like a team that had done the extra bit of work and were overall a bit more organized. The fact that they had been back together longer showed and they had a bit more cohesion. Mayo still finding their feet under new management, trying to shake off some of the cobwebs after the break, and the injuries do play a part.

I think Cork will put it up to Kerry in Munster this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see them take it.

Mayo do seem to be a little behind in their schedule. McStay alluded to it after Ros beat Mayo in the FBD saying he was certain that Ros were ahead in their training. I find it hard to know why though. Rochford & McStay were appointed around the same time. And Rochford should be just as familiar with Mayo as McStay with Roscommon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Mayo do seem to be a little behind in their schedule. McStay alluded to it after Ros beat Mayo in the FBD saying he was certain that Ros were ahead in their training. I find it hard to know why though. Rochford & McStay were appointed around the same time. And Rochford should be just as familiar with Mayo as McStay with Roscommon.

I think he means in their overall training schedule, not when the 2 managers were appointed. Mayo reached the AI semi finals, so they (and Tyrone) were only allowed to return to training on December 1st....or whatever date the semi finalists are allowed to resume training on. Roscommon's season ended earlier, so they could start training for 2016 earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I think he means in their overall training schedule, not when the 2 managers were appointed. Mayo reached the AI semi finals, so they (and Tyrone) were only allowed to return to training on December 1st....or whatever date the semi finalists are allowed to resume training on. Roscommon's season ended earlier, so they could start training for 2016 earlier.

Wasn't aware that when you finish in the championship has an influence on when you can start training again - interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Wasn't aware that when you finish in the championship has an influence on when you can start training again - interesting

That's news to me as well to be honest.

I always thought that collective inter county training was banned right across the board...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

November 2nd week if yer gone from Champo in June 1st December for July losers. 2nd week December August/SF losers and last week December AI finalists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

Mayo to me just didn't defend well, didn't get tight enough and didn't pick up the runners coming through midfield. The latter failing might be down to fatigue. I felt the full-back line however, acquitted themselves quite well, Brendan Harrison is developing into a good defender.

Not too many positives then from a Mayo perspective. Evan Regan didn't get much ball but Mikey Sweeney looked bright coming off the bench. Very hard to say where Mayo are right now - new manager still finding his feet and honestly Cork at home tend to be very strong this time of the year so I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I always thought that collective inter county training was banned right across the board...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

Green Tae wrote: »
    Mayo to me just didn't defend well, didn't get tight enough and didn't pick up the runners coming through midfield. The latter failing might be down to fatigue. I felt the full-back line however, acquitted themselves quite well, Brendan Harrison is developing into a good defender.

Not too many positives then from a Mayo perspective. Evan Regan didn't get much ball but Mikey Sweeney looked bright coming off the bench. Very hard to say where Mayo are right now - new manager still finding his feet and honestly Cork at home tend to be very strong this time of the year so I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.

Although mayo were poor yesterday I'm not overly worried. Lots of players missing and you could see the likes of donie vaughan and diarmuid were struggling fitness wise(like a lot of others)..and its a rare sight you'd see those two struggling and being subbed.
    cork are usually one of the best teams in the league.
    Mayo are behind in their training and it showed there yesterday but i can see them gathering momentum towards the middle/end of the league and hopefully the performances and results will come.
    Hopefully after a slow start to the year, by the time championship comes around they'll be peaking just at the right time.
    maigheo abú

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

I agree with the above post but I see us losing the next two games as well if that's the kind of effort there putting in
    We need to keep or devision one league status that's important as well.I'd say the rossie are sick with losing that game

I don't think things will really start coming into view until later on.

Rochford says that he doesn't expect anyone who wasn't available for the Cork match to be available for the Dublin match either, and I'm assuming Keegan and McLoughlin will be added to that list too. It'll be interesting to see who lines out.

Can see what the management are trying to do with jason doherty. He's good for a point or two every match but a Few years back in the league it looked like he could have turned out to be a real serious, game changer type player. He's a nice player but I'd love to see him take more responsibilty like a few dub forwards. As in turn and burn his marker and go straight for goal every time. He has definately got it in him to beat his man..just don't see it often enough with him i think. We need more scorers. Aidan and cillian are just not enough with the odd score here and there from the rest of the forwards.
    Brendan harrison played well yesterday. Can def see him being a starter in the championship. Jason gibbons can be good at times but im still not convinced with him.

I know this is Off topic. But is padraig o'connor still playing with ballintubber?

• Advertisement

Fat lot of use that fancy dan Trinity education is to you then, eh? tongue.png

padd b1975 wrote: »

They can't ban training right across the board. Every county has to observe a training ban for a set period of time. When it starts and ends is staggered, as it depends on when you got knocked out of the championship. The sooner you get knocked out of the champo, the sooner you can start your training ban and the sooner you can resume training for the following year.

Doherty's a good all-rounder, he was essentially a midfielder under Horan but he's good in the target-man role aswell as demonstrated during his Sigerson period.

I think Rochford wanted to have a look at Regan at full-forward, feed him early, low ball and lay it off to the supporting forwards. That was the game plan but the tactic never really got going bar that surging forward run from Conor O'Shea leading to a point in the first half. Doherty seemed to roam about to no great effect and it would have been nice to see him stationed beside Regan on the edge of the square.

Dublin will be a serious challenge - no surprises there and I would be a little concerned by that half-back line who look a little green at present.

Congratulations to Barry Moran who was today named as the AIB GAA Connacht Footballer Player of the Year.

The All Ireland junior and intermediate club finals involving Ardnaree and Hollymount Carramore will be broadcast live from Croke Park on Irish TV sky channel 191 from 2.30 pm on Saturday.

Nice little appetisers before the big game on Saturday night.TBH I think we're really up against it in all 3 contests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

The All Ireland junior and intermediate club finals involving Ardnaree and Hollymount Carramore will be broadcast live from Croke Park on Irish TV sky channel 191 from 2.30 pm on Saturday.

Nice little appetisers before the big game on Saturday night.TBH I think we're really up against it in all 3 contests.

If anyone can relate sky channel 191 to freq and polarisation for non sky users please

If anyone can relate sky channel 191 to freq and polarisation for non sky users please

Irish TV 11.224 H 27500 2/3

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

Self scanning for season ticket holders on Saturday evening in MacHale park.

http://mayoclub51.com/new-season-ticket-self-scanning/

Met Eireann forecast for tomorrow in Connaught.
    Cloud and wind.
    There will be scattered outbreaks of rain with some persistent and heavy falls in places.
    The rain will clear eastwards to drier and colder conditions during the late afternoon and evening.
    So as usual for the Saturday night games in McHale park snuggle up well!

Thanks for that. But if the forecast said "Sunny and Bright & warmer than usual for the time of year", I'd probably have a heart attack from the shock. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

If you or not on the season ticket don't forget to pick one up in supervalu etc today for a fiver cheaper than at the gate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Also streamed on their website http://www.irishtv.ie/broadcast

Mayo 15

Robert Hennelly
    Brendan Harrison
    Ger Cafferkey
    Caolan Crowe
    Donal Vaughan
    Colm Boyle
    Shane Nally
    Tom Parsons
    Jason Gibbons
    Conor O Shea
    Aidan O Shea
    Diarmuid O Connor
    Evan Regan
    Jason Doherty
    Mikey Sweeney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Mayo 15

Robert Hennelly
    Brendan Harrison
    Ger Cafferkey
    Caolan Crowe
    Donal Vaughan
    Colm Boyle
    Shane Nally
    Tom Parsons
    Jason Gibbons
    Conor O Shea
    Aidan O Shea
    Diarmuid O Connor
    Evan Regan
    Jason Doherty

Only 14 there! 😉

Missing Mikey Sweeney at 15.

Dublin unchanged from the Kerry match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Getting ready men, we're hitting the road at 13:00

Stoner wrote: »
    Getting ready men, we're hitting the road at 13:00

Safe journey Stoner,hope you enjoy a hospitable although ultimately disappointing visit.;)

My uncle who is domiciled in Dublin for 40 years or more is hitting the road on the 12.45 train to as always support his native Green and Red.It'd be so much easier for him to support the Dubs,have to collect him and he'll hopefully get to see Ardnaree Sarsfields win an All Ireland.

Mayo 15

Robert Hennelly
    Brendan Harrison
    Ger Cafferkey
    Caolan Crowe
    Donal Vaughan
    Colm Boyle
    Shane Nally
    Tom Parsons
    Jason Gibbons
    Conor O Shea
    Aidan O Shea
    Diarmuid O Connor
    Evan Regan
    Jason Doherty
    Mikey Sweeney

It's a good team cosidering the injuries. I thought the half-back line looked a little green and Rochford seems to have remedied that. Will Cafferkey and Harrison be able to keep the Dub's full-forwards quiet? That's a concern. Also, Mayo would look to have abandoned their sweeper system with Vaughan shifting to left-half back (which I'm convinced is his best position).

Presumably there will be a minute's silence for the late great Father Peter Quinn before the game tonight,no brainer.

• Advertisement

Just back from the Dublin game.
    Hard to know what to make of it, much better on paper than Cork conditions were cat and its hard to know what Dublin had planned for the outing.

Thought Dirmauid O Conor and Conor O Shea had good outings.

Presumably there will be a minute's silence for the late great Father Peter Quinn before the game tonight,no brainer.

They did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I watched the game on the box tonight and the two teams were cat but at the same time there is a bit of class still there.
    Dublin were the better team and mayo looked a bit disorganised at times and we're letting dublin attack while mayo had the ball?! There was no runners from midfield at lot of lads sitting in defence but that will come good after the next couple of games. There is no fear of dropping down a division yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Yeah, I expected to get annihilated but it was a decent performance we can build on. a bit of a break now and time to recover our squad and we'll be ok

Well it wasn't the hammering people were expecting. Cagey enough affair. Mayo were good defensively, denied Dublin the goals they get so much of their power from. However, we were poor going forward and were let down by a couple of forwards. Thought we could have won it even if we just had that extra firepower going forward.

Overall though, to be honest, I feel like Stephen Rochford might be the happier of the two managers coming out of the match.

The ref was poor, yet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

To take a positive note out of these two losses, we've only conceded one goal between the two games. Leaking goals is what cost us dearly the last number of years so if this is being rectified then that's fine by me.

Always expected the loss today but it's not nice having to play catch-up to stay in the division now. If Roscommon are the ones to relegate us I will be absolutely mortified.

• Advertisement

I thought Keith Higgins showed a lot of leadership and provided the extra bit of experience when he came on too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,249 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Tbh honest looked like Donegal in 2011 when they played the Dubs in semi .
    A formation seen up to stop them scoring but no intention of beating them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Great crowd. Football was not the prettiest and the weather had us frozen afterwards .
    Diarmud O'Connor is a class outfit as is parsons . Aiden had a much improved second half . Thought the entire full back line gave a really good account .
    Negatives ,
    I don't know what's wrong with Vaughan . He didn't want the ball at all . Hope he improves over the next few months. His physical presence gets my vote.
    Having mikey and Evan on at the same time in weather like that was pointless unless the delivery was 100 percent .
    Evan has more work to do before he can have a chance at a playing oosition .

Thought the refereeing again was poor . How oshea didn't get a free after 6hands ruby style on him .Boyle had his fill from Connolly . Off the ball incidents and 3rd man tackles were not being monitored .

Overall good . A better Mayo running side would have cut through that Dublin half back line as there were holes in there that just aren't exploited . Better this time on closing out the Cluxton kick outs . When they were closed down it made their game plan of running difficult .
    A few weeks break and a return to the panel afterwards for more players means relegation might not be as close as first thought .

Quite pleased with the performance overall,it was an intriguing contest considering how dire the conditions were for the players.We certainly set up very defensively mindful of the hiding we got last week.The conditions did'nt suit the quality forwards on either team.

Defensively I thought we were very good,Ger Cafferkey is a quality full back when he's not left isolated one on one.Shane Nally impressed me greatly,he got on the ball a lot.He was strong in the tackle,got forward quite a bit and his overall distribution was good.

Colm Boyle was his usual feisty self,always think he's a quasi spiritual leader.When he's up for the game,he exudes a grim determination that is infectious and sets the tempo on pitch and with the supporters.He most definitely took the fight to Dublin but was probably lucky he did'nt see red earlier.He played a tad too close to the edge.

I thought Donal Vaughan put in a decent effort until he went off injured.TBH I did'nt see anything particualrly spectacular out of our midfield.Hopefully Donal Vaughan presumable hamstring injury and Tom Parsons leg/hip injury are'nt too serious.

Up front Conor O Shea toiled well given the conditions.Diarmuid O Connor was our star man,2 scores.The second an absolute beauty,he has an incredible work rate.He caused quite a few difficulties with his direct running at pace.He is going to be a class act.

The weather conditions did'nt suit the likes of Mikey Sweeney and Evan Regan both of whom are slight of frame.They oftentimes failed to win their own ball and were all too easily dispossessed.

It was most definitely not Aidan O Shea's best day out,he gave the ball on numerous occasions and took too much out of the ball running into trouble.Keith Higgins made a difference with his direct running at pace from deep.

The margin was tight and for a brief period I thought we might sneak a draw but Dublin's ability to put a score on the board after we pulled closer and take the sting out of the game with prolonged periods of possession is why they are the reigning champions.

The place kicking off the ground by Robert Hennelly and Dean Rock was of a good standard given the conditions.I continue to be perplexed why players chose to hop the ball given the ground conditions.

I thought the referee Padraig Hughes was poor,lots of baffling decisions.As usual he was very whistle happy,failing to let the game flow.Johnny Cooper's black card was pretty harsh,what he supposed to do.He stood his ground.Big contrast to Eddie Kinsella's officiating of the Dublin Kerry contest last Saturday night.TBF to him it was not an easy contest to officiate given the physicality and awful conditions.

Great night in a local hostelry with the Dublin fans.Our most decorated of All Stars and regular corner back dropped in.Great banter with the opposing fans,few selfies thrown in.Top man.

Great win for Roscommon today in their ambitions to stay up.Pressure now on ourselves,the Kingdom and Down.Donegal in Ballybofey is going to be a very tough assignment given their current form.

Super article giving an analysis of last night's contest,some grounds for optimism.

http://www.newstalk.com/analysis-rochford-gegenpressing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

You could see how much Keith Higgins lifts it when he came on.
    With so many good defenders still to return we really can tog even seven strong defenders for later in the league.
    I think we are going to end up with:
    Harrison Cafferkey Keane
    Higgins
    Keegan. Durcan Boyle
    Higgins a great man to tidy up in between players and launch counter attacks.
    Durcan has improved a lot and he has that power to hit whatever comes down the middle.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement