Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭b1964

PressRun wrote: »
    Well it wasn't the hammering people were expecting. Cagey enough affair. Mayo were good defensively, denied Dublin the goals they get so much of their power from. However, we were poor going forward and were let down by a couple of forwards. Thought we could have won it even if we just had that extra firepower going forward.

Overall though, to be honest, I feel like Stephen Rochford might be the happier of the two managers coming out of the match.

The ref was poor, yet again.

Think your wrong there lad!! Jim Gavin most definitely is the happier manager coming out of the match
    Dublin 4 pts
    Mayo 0 pts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I'd say Donegal will be fairly bullish going into the next game on the back of two resounding wins. I still think Mayo can get a win from that match though. They'll probably be glad to get the break and get more prep in.

I'm also excited to see how Diarmuid O'Connor continues to come on over the year.

seligehgit wrote: »
    It was most definitely not Aidan O Shea's best day out,he gave the ball on numerous occasions and took too much out of the ball running into trouble.

He does have a habit of just running into the tackle too much, and he's such a powerful man, it seems to take a lot for him to win a free, tbh. Running head-first into a crowd of defenders just isn't going to work most of the time.

What do you think is the best place to play him? Figuring out how to get the best out of him is one of the biggest tasks for the management.

he'll hopefully get to see Ardnaree Sarsfields win an All Ireland.

Unfortunately wasn't to be. Mayo teams lose 2 more finals in Croker. Jesus, what is it about the bloody place. Fingers crossed for the Mitchells now at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I thought it was an excellent game considering the conditions.

Dublin and Mayo will be happy enough but huge work to be done by both.

Dublin will be happy enough they were not in any serious trouble really thanks to Mayo playing so many men behind the ball which I dont like when they have good forwards who can score.

Big difference was the work rate and composure, maybe its experience of knowing how to close out the game when Mayo came chasing. Costello is great if they can keep him fit and Con O'Callaghan will be in with shout the next day. A few forwards are starting to come along for Dublin. Full back wont be the problem for Dublin that it is being made out to be. Cooper, McMahon, Byrne, Fitzsomons or Bastic would fit in there but I think it will be McMahon or Bastic come the summer.

On the plus side for Mayo is Evan Reagan. A great prospect who needs game time. They know what the others can do and like Cormac Costello he needs to be on the field. A negative for me is Aiden O'Shea. Tunnel vision or what. He would do far more damage closer to goal. He would be a handful for any 2 defenders and Mayo have lads who can score from distance so my thinking would be leave him close to goal and free up a bit of space for the likes of Reagan, O'Connor's and Doherty.

Colm Boyle is a fine player but playing to close to the edge and it will cost him. It is all very fine but he needs to be a bit more controlled. The crowd love him and it gees him up but maybe a bit to much. Similar to Connolly in many ways. Danger is from a managers point of view when you try and curb lads like this you take away that great drive they both have.

The referee was awful for both sides but I suppose there was a bit of tension from last year. I think in hindsight he was very harsh on McMahon and harsher on Cooper (who I am not a fan of). If he had carried the same rules through the game he would have carded 6 or 7 but some of his decisions were baffling. Didn't see what happened with Boyle or Small but it seems his umpires nailed them.

Mayo really need to win in Donegal and they can do that by playing a more orthodox team and by that I mean play lads in their natural or best positions. Higgins and Keegan are 2 of the best defenders in Ireland, so keep them there and if Boyle/Barrett are in there also that is some back line to start with and they will cope with the Donegal game A.O'S at full forward would be some battle with McGee and Reagan playing off him would interesting to see if it works. As was mentioned earlier in the thread Mayo reminded a poster of Donegal in 2011, an All Ireland they could have won but kept the then 2 best forwards McFadden and Murphy 70 yards from Dublin goal.

LOTS DONE MORE TO DO

I thought the McMahon black card was correct, tbh. No more than Colm Boyle, Philly plays on the edge enough himself and I'd imagine refs will have an eye on him this year after the controversy of last year. Not sure what happened with Cooper. But I agree that the refereeing was very inconsistent. I thought there were a few instances where he should have played advantage rather than giving a free, which just disrupts any flow or momentum that might be building. I also sometimes think that sort of stop/start refereeing just creates frustration in both teams and makes everything a lot more hard-edged that it might need to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Question for Mitchell's folks.

What exactly are yer chances on Saturday.

I noticed a lot of optimism around town on Saturday but found it hard to get any substance from the people I talked to.

Cross are no slouches at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PressRun wrote:
    I thought the McMahon black card was correct, tbh. No more than Colm Boyle, Philly plays on the edge enough himself and I'd imagine refs will have an eye on him this year after the controversy of last year. Not sure what happened with Cooper
    Both 100% black cards imo, zero issue with the cards that were handed out, it was the lack of them overall and the inconsistency that most people have an issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Stoner wrote: »
    Both 100% black cards imo, zero issue with the cards that were handed out, it was the lack of them overall and the inconsistency that most people have an issue with.

I would agree both 100% black cards, but this is the league.
    Come the Championship will they be given!

I'd say if it was championship yes, Dublin Mayo games generally have black cards, Dennis Bastics in the championship was softer than either of the two last week IMO.

If Coopers one was harsh it was because so much of that behavior went unpunished, so it's a roll of the dice.

• Advertisement

I'd say if it was championship yes, Dublin Mayo games generally have black cards, Dennis Bastics in the championship was softer than either of the two last week IMO.

If Coopers one was harsh it was because so much of that behavior went unpunished, so it's a roll of the dice.

Perhaps, but when you consider how red cards have a habit of being overturned late in the championship for the "big boys", at times it just makes the whole black card thing a bit of a sham.

Nowadays a cute ref will give a black to a player he suspects may transgress further, and leave him having to issue a red.
    Thus making sure he doesn`t end up in a s**tstorm of media coverage and appeals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Great win for Castlebar. They'll be favourites to win it out now I'd say. Not so great for Mayo in the short term but hopefully the club run will bring the likes of Durcan, Douglas and Kirby on and they'll be back with the county for the end of the league.

Great win for Castlebar. They'll be favourites to win it out now I'd say. Not so great for Mayo in the short term but hopefully the club run will bring the likes of Durcan, Douglas and Kirby on and they'll be back with the county for the end of the league.

Whatever about being favourites they had better go on and win it regardless.

Another AI final loss by a Mayo team would be hard to take, and against a Dublin based team who got damn lucky to get out with a win tonight.

Another AI final loss by a Mayo team would be hard to take, and against a Dublin based team who got damn lucky to get out with a win tonight.

Ah I don't know about that, should have won by more in the end clonmel didn't score for the last 10 or 15 minutes of ordinary time and did nothing in extra time.
    It was very close but a deserved draw, blew them away in extra time

I'd agree Castlebar look the strongest, but I thought the same a few years back with Ballymun Kickhams with McCarthy, McMahon, Rock, D Byrne and Small on it but Bridget's won it well, Ballymum looked overwhelmed by the occasion.

You'd never know but I'd agree that BB beat the most limited team of the last four tonight and were nearly caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Durcan is a class act no doubt, a natural footballer.

As for the other two, Kirby has plenty to do to prove himself at the highest level.
    I can't really see Douglas going on to make much of an impression at inter county level if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Young fella that came on late in the game was a handful, nippy little fella, when he was coming on I thought it was like throwing hares to the wolves and the rangers backline would eat him. but he won a couple of frees and done the job. future mayo player?

Ah I don't know about that, should have won by more in the end clonmel didn't score for the last 10 or 15 minutes of ordinary time and did nothing in extra time.
    It was very close but a deserved draw, blew them away in extra time

I'd agree Castlebar look the strongest, but I thought the same a few years back with Ballymun Kickhams with McCarthy, McMahon, Rock, D Byrne and Small on it but Bridget's won it well, Ballymum looked overwhelmed by the occasion.

You'd never know but I'd agree that BB beat the most limited team of the last four tonight and were nearly caught.

I was talking more in the context of Clonmell failing to close out the game, they lead by three later enough in the second half and scored later to go two up going into injury time if I recall but could not hold on to it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

kupus wrote:
    Young fella that came on late in the game was a handful, nippy little fella, when he was coming on I thought it was like throwing hares to the wolves and the rangers backline would eat him. but he won a couple of frees and done the job. future mayo player?

Cian Costello. Fast as a fox. But looks awful small. Did well alright

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Well just back home,happy out.It was great to grind out the win,it was'nt pretty but fascinating nonetheless.

I thought we were very nervy early on,Crossmaglen were very impressive with their directness and quality footpassing.Our defence stood too far their men and the full back line was left dangerously isolated.

Barry Moran's midfield dominance was'nt becoming apparent and Cross were winning all the breaking ball,up front we appeared toothless.TBF the Cross defence was fouling in scorable positions.The glorious goal chance spurned and an awful free wasted did'nt help.
    The goal line clearance late in the first half was a definite turning point.

Impressive start to the second half,Barry grew into the game as the lads became less standoffish and increased the intensity levels.Patrick Durcan....a real gem and Eoghan Reilly drove forward.Ger McDonagh won a lot of dirty ball.Danny Kirby played a big role in the comeback.Cian Costello is a mini Kevin McManamon..extremely direct with oodles of pace.He is probably too small to make it at inter county level,ditto Neil Douglas.

Here's to winning the final,as Father Tod mentioned I'm personally sick to the teeth of losing finals and we certainly are owed a victory over a Dublin team of any variety at this stage.TBH I think the lads are capable of upping their performance considerably,there's a lot of potential there for same.

• Advertisement

Well just back home,happy out.It was great to grind out the win,it was'nt pretty but fascinating nonetheless.

I thought we were very nervy early on,Crossmaglen were very impressive with their directness and quality footpassing.Our defence stood too far their men and the full back line was left dangerously isolated.

Barry Moran's midfield dominance was'nt becoming apparent and Cross were winning all the breaking ball,up front we appeared toothless.TBF the Cross defence was fouling in scorable positions.The glorious goal chance spurned and an awful free wasted did'nt help.
    The goal line clearance late in the first half was a definite turning point.

Impressive start to the second half,Barry grew into the game as the lads became less standoffish and increased the intensity levels.Patrick Durcan....a real gem and Eoghan Reilly drove forward.Ger McDonagh won a lot of dirty ball.Danny Kirby played a big role in the comeback.Cian Costello is a mini Kevin McManamon..extremely direct with oodles of pace.He is probably too small to make it at inter county level,ditto Neil Douglas.

Here's to winning the final,as Father Tod mentioned I'm personally sick to the teeth of losing finals and we certainly are owed a victory over a Dublin team of any variety at this stage.TBH I think the lads are capable of upping their performance considerably,there's a lot of potential there for same.

Brilliant comeback, was but when you come across a player like Jamie Clarke leaving him on a one to one is suicide.
    First half he nearly killed the game off imo.
    I dont believe Ballyboden have anybody of his caliber, but it is something they will have seen and identified, and something Mitchells will need to be aware off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Great win. What happened Aidan Walsh? I think they really missed his physical presence, he's an important player for Castlebar.
    Great tactics by Castlebar in bringing on three players with pace. As far as I know the Durcans Fergal n James were sprinters at club level with Castlebar AC so they have genuine pace. Then you have Cian Costelloe who is very quick off the mark and a nightmare 1 v 1. They featured in those final 15 minutes to see the game out.
    Neil Douglas is a good tough battler. Was brave to win some frees. I wouldnt be calling him too small for Intercounty. He's not tall, 5'10" or 5'11" but he's certainly a good solid 13 stone+. He's above average tough and he's direct with an eye for goal. Could have a big final yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Did b Moran hurt himself after the point he scored at the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

naughto wrote: »

I initially thought he had but he appeared to carry on without any issues.We were over on the other side of pitch so I can't be sure.I'm going to watch my recording of the game later on,it might bring some measure of clarity.

Watched the game back,it was excellent contest.As good as many an inter county game in terms of quality.

Few things stood out,Tom Cunniffe gave Jamie Clarke quite an amount of space.Having said that I'm not sure how many corner backs could live with a player of the quality of Clarke...outstanding.Given the right ball and his movement is top notch.

It is frightening how good a quality half back Patrick Durkan is likely to develop into!We saw an indication of same in the All Ireland semi final last year and the county championship this year,he ran amok in the quarter final against Aghmore.He has great pace and scoring ability.I can't see how he won't start come championship.

It bodes very well for the seniors,we're spoiled for riches with Lee Keegan,Colm Boyle,Donal Vaughan and young Shane Nally.

The Mitchels bench is very strong and I think ultimately swung the game our way.Did anybody spot Tony McEntee at the game?Presumably he was there to support his home club and twin brother whilst having the added bonus of scouting the ample quality players on display with the potential to don the green and red.

Barry Moran seemed to make a full recovery post that injury stoppage.

• Advertisement

An interesting seven man defence would be:
    Mchale Cafferkey Keane
    Higgins
    Keegan Durcan Boyle
    A full back line of big full backs protected by the speed of Higgins. Then you have the three best half backs.
    Bring Tom Parsons back with Seamus OShea to your own 45 and thats a pretty good defensive setup.

I'll be shocked if Durcan doesn't get a starting place in the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well done to the Mayo Senior hurlers today, who opened their Div 2B league campaign with a 1-14 to 0-13 win over Donegal.

An interesting seven man defence would be:
    Mchale Cafferkey Keane
    Higgins
    Keegan Durcan Boyle
    A full back line of big full backs protected by the speed of Higgins. Then you have the three best half backs.
    Bring Tom Parsons back with Seamus OShea to your own 45 and thats a pretty good defensive setup.

Yes that's an interesting set up.There will be a fair amount of competition for the corner back spots...Not too sure I'd be putting Shane McHale ahead of Brendan Harrison or for matter Tom Cunniffe who tends to be quite a loose marker.Shane McHale and Kevin Keane are both lacking in any great mobility/pace but they are agreed more physically imposing.

Keith Higgins will have to be utilized correctly as a sweeper(he has been wasted in the role in the past),a role Shane Nally performed quite well the last day out.

I certainly Donal Vaughan may well lose out and the 3 lads will line out as you've outlined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

I wouldnt be calling him too small for Intercounty.
    I hate when I hear people say that. Unless you're a genuine midget and thus have a legal disability, there is no such thing as being too small for intercounty. There is being not good enough, not working hard enough, and selectors incorrectly dismissing someone because of their size. The only place where being too small is a serious disadvantage is if you want to be a pornstar.

• Advertisement

Canadel wrote: »
    I hate when I hear people say that. Unless you're a genuine midget and thus have a legal disability, there is no such thing as being too small for intercounty. There is being not good enough, not working hard enough, and selectors incorrectly dismissing someone because of their size. The only place where being too small is a serious disadvantage is if you want to be a pornstar.

Fair enough,in all honesty I don't think he's quite up to inter county standard.I'd be delighted to be wrong as he is a very honest,hard working player with a good skillset.If I recall correctly he has had some opportunities in the past to impress in the national league.Realistically I can't see where he'd start in the forward line.

I think Neil Douglas does have a chance of making the 26 this year. Obviously tight for the 15. On balance he probably brings a lot more than several others on recent match day panels.
    He doesn't have any weaknesses and he can get goals. All depends on his form in the next three months. He's the kinda player never dips below 7/10 when fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

A win for castlebar is a win for mayo so come on castlebar!

Does anyone have any idea what's going on with Seamus O'Shea or where he is? What kind of injury is he carrying, if any? Willie Joe posted an update on the injury situation on the Mayo GAA blog today, and while there's some good news (Lee Keegan and Kevin McLoughlin, among others), there still seems to be no mention of SOS making a return yet.

I haven't heard anything about Andy Moran or Alan Dillon either, but I thought maybe they might be off until a bit later considering they're a bit older and have a lot of mileage up already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

Yeah, I thought Moran and Dillon were criminally underused by C&H last season and Andy's eye for goal means that if he's even ninety percent fit you have to start him in the forwards.

As regards the Mitchells, it's very encouraging stuff for Mayo. Paddy Durkin has really surprised me with the degree that he has developed, technically and physically. He's certainly a contender for a starting berth in that half-back line.
    Also, the stand-out player for me was Danny Kirby, a classic full-forward displaying how it's done in the modern game - winning hard ball, recycling cleanly and providing an effective foil for the other forwards to play off of. If I was Rochford, he'd be a starter too, granting Aidan O'Shea a free role to roam between midfield and the square.

There's a lot of options there for Rochford with ideally a big, experienced squad come summer, men at the peak of their powers. It's going to be an interesting championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Speaking of Aidan... I presume he's treating this American Football exchange thing as nothing more than an opportunity to catch some winter sun.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Speaking of Aidan... I presume he's treating this American Football exchange thing as nothing more than an opportunity to catch some winter sun.

I just pity the poor lad from the US who got sent to Breaffy last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I just pity the poor lad from the US who got sent to Breaffy last week

apparently he didn't score at all, despite being teed up at every opportunity and been given all the frees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

irishgeo wrote: »
    apparently he didn't score at all, despite being teed up at every opportunity and been given all the frees.

should make county so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Meath 2-9, Mayo 0-19. Another good win for the Senior hurlers away to Meath. Well done, lads.

• Advertisement

So apparently Tom Parsons, Donal Vaughan and Kevin McLoughlin are all doubtful for the Donegal match. Kevin Keane, Caolan Crowe and Alan Freeman are out. David Clarke, Seamus O'Shea, Chris Barrett, Alan Dillon and Andy Moran are all back in training, though don't know if any of them will be available for Donegal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

On a side note I had the pleasure of having Kevin Keane, Lee Keegan and Jason Doherty support a cycle I organised last weekend, what a trio of unassuming very nice lads who were willing to hang around and talk to people and take photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭puma90

Hi, Just wondering where I could get the mayo green bobble wooly hat. I only see a red one on o'neills?

Team News

Robert Hennelly
    Brendan Harrison
    Ger Cafferkey
    Keith Higgins
    Lee Keegan
    Colm Boyle
    Shane Nally
    Tom Parsons
    Jason Gibbons
    Diarmuid O Connor
    Aidan O Shea
    Conor O Shea
    Evan Regan
    Jason Doherty
    Michael Sweeney

Glad to see Shane Nally getting another run out....

Billy Joe Padden discusses Sunday's game on the Mayo News podcast and reflects on how things have been going for Stephen Rochford's men thus far.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=87&Itemid=100166

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

It's a strong team but I feel Rochford's missing a trick here by not stationing Aidan O'Shea on the edge of the square and with Daniel Kirby and Barry Moran available after Paddy's Day I would be building my team around a big, target man at full-forward.

Aidan O'Shea as a midfielder can break tackles and win frees but he can also take far too much out of the ball. Maybe we'll see some rotation of positions here, maybe Aidan is in fact best in a free role. Although as things stand Rochford seems to be looking for mobility from his forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭jeffred

For all those travelling tomorrow allow extra time there are roadworks about 4km from ballybofey with a double set of stop lights. Make sure you give yourself enough time.

Green Tae wrote: »
    It's a strong team but I feel Rochford's missing a trick here by not stationing Aidan O'Shea on the edge of the square and with Daniel Kirby and Barry Moran available after Paddy's Day I would be building my team around a big, target man at full-forward.

Aidan O'Shea as a midfielder can break tackles and win frees but he can also take far too much out of the ball. Maybe we'll see some rotation of positions here, maybe Aidan is in fact best in a free role. Although as things stand Rochford seems to be looking for mobility from his forwards.
    Aidan is not a sure thing at full forward versus Division one teams. He might be asked to block up the centre back position, be available for all throw up balls and be a kickout option.
    Alternatively we may switch back to a role more like last year. I like the idea of using him to block off the middle for the first 45 minutes. Then push for the line with him upfront when the defence of opposition is on yellows or had black cards. Move Aidan up and spring some pace from the bench. Trends have been games are tight for 50 minutes and then one team goes better over the final 20 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭tanko

This is a very entertaining game, that ball didn't look like it was over the end line?

On a second viewing it looked over the line. The ref would want to grow a pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yeah that ball surely went out of play, but I won't complain! Ballsy from DOC to go low for the retake, brilliant penalty.

Black for Donegal now, all the momentum swinging our way.

Beauty of a point there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Great game.
    Ryan McHugh and Diarmaid O Connor worth entrance fee alone. Getting through some work the two of them. McHugh is turning into some player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement