Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Shocking stuff there, there should never be that many opposition players allowed to run through on goal. We will always be prone to leaking these cheap goals it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Will we ever f*cking learn. Shocking stuff.

Will we ever f*cking learn. Shocking stuff.
    Mayo looked clueless in the final third. Roscommon looking very good for Connacht this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mayo looked clueless in the final third. Roscommon looking very good for Connacht this year.

Steady on its not even March.

A win in Monaghan athome v Kerry and and home v Down should see us safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Disappointing not to get the win as I think it was there for the taking, but still seeing gradual improvement.

Problems remain up front, still pretty toothless in attack. Something needs to be figured out with Aiden O'Shea. He was ineffective today. Personally, I think he's a midfielder and not a forward.

Disappointing that Keith Higgins got injured again. He was doing well up to then. Hopefully it's not too serious.

I think we really need David Clarke back in goal. I just don't think Hennelly is reliable enough on kickouts.

In positive news, Diarmuid O'Connor is turning out to be a fabulous player and should only improve. I thought Shane Nally and Brendan Harrison gave good accounts of themselves too.

Thought the ref was not in control of the game at certain points. The nonsense around the penalty should have been halted in a much swifter fashion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

PressRun wrote: »
    Disappointing not to get the win as I think it was there for the taking, but still seeing gradual improvement.

Problems remain up front, still pretty toothless in attack. Something needs to be figured out with Aiden O'Shea. He was ineffective today. Personally, I think he's a midfielder and not a forward.

Disappointing that Keith Higgins got injured again. He was doing well up to then. Hopefully it's not too serious.

I think we really need David Clarke back in goal. I just don't think Hennelly is reliable enough on kickouts.

In positive news, Diarmuid O'Connor is turning out to be a fabulous player and should only improve. I thought Shane Nally and Brendan Harrison gave good accounts of themselves too.

Thought the ref was not in control of the game at certain points. The nonsense around the penalty should have been halted in a much swifter fashion.

I would have blamed the nonsense around the penalty on the umpire not the players.

The ball was clearly wide prior to it being given.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Pretty disappointing day at the office,I thought we might have snatched a draw.But Donegal did finish very strong,that training camp in Tenerife must have done them the world of good.They appeared to have a team closer to full strength than ourselves.It was a very enjoyable,high quality contest,played in a similar vein to last night's Croke Park encounter

Nice to see some quality long range scores although quite a few came from our backs.Our defending was very solid in general.Not too sure about the positioning of Keith Higgins in the half forwards.He can offer a hell of a lot going forward even whence stationed in his customary corner back position.Big loss with a suspected 6 week lay off with the hamstring.Initially I thought it was that dreaded knee again.

Shane Nally was extremely impressive again today,I was'nt quite sure why he was substituted as Donal Vaughan coughed up the vital turnover for the Donegal goal and was largely ineffectual.Stellar performance by Diarmuid O Connor yet again,the new Donegal goalkeeper Boyle has big boots to fill and cost them a few scores.We really do need Cillian O Connor back,Robert Hennelly lack of reliability on the long distance frees is in marked contrast to the brilliance of Michael Murphy.It was a shame Evan Regan was taken off as he was sure footed with the right of centre frees.It was a great contest between Aidan O Shea and McGee.

Very impressed with Donegal,their backs really do thunder forward.Ryan McHugh was magnificent and the usual suspects McGlynn,McGrath...Up front Donegal have so much quality Murphy,McBrearty,MacNiallais.Rory Kavanagh is a welcome return to their fold.

We'll have our work cut out in Monaghan,very impressive last night.How does one stop the wonder that is Conor McManus?It is likely to be the key.Roscommon are now flying in division one,Easter Sunday will likely be a must win to preserve our division one status.

Good to see Seamie O Shea make a brief appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Speaking of Aidan... I presume he's treating this American Football exchange thing as nothing more than an opportunity to catch some winter sun.

The publicity gained should be enough to secure another soft all-star for 2016.

washman3 wrote: »
    The publicity gained should be enough to secure another soft all-star for 2016.

The show is on TV3 thus nor that much publicity :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

The show is on TV3 thus nor that much publicity :)

It's on RTE2 so he'll probably get player of the year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Hell of alot better performance than the last away game I was at in Cork. But same flaws in our forwards is a huge worry. Why we keep kicking into the corners is bewildering at times, cul de sac football...

Backline couldn't really fault all day, solid and disciplined. In attack when required supported with nice scores from Hall, Keegan, Harrison and Nally. Boyle aggressive as ever, Caff did an alright job on McBrearty. Hennelly sound with his kick outs.

Midfield faded in and out but dominated in that area for most of the game.

Problem is when you have a limited half forward line (and perhaps the weakest in the so called big counties) yer always gonna give up some chances. Offer no threat whatsoever at centre forward at times. Too many grafting and not contributing with attacking quality, DOC aside (serious nerve the lad)

Keith Higgins expected to be out for three weeks with the hamstring. Disappointing stuff there, especially since he's just back.

In other news, the Mayo ladies are doing the business at the moment. Cora Staunton scored 2-10 as Mayo beat Armagh 4-17 to 1-13, ending Armagh's unbeaten run. Some woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

That awful news on Higgins .
    He looked sharp at half forward .

Didn't expect the win after donegals impressive start .
    Donegal really only got that running game going for the goal and that is a credit to our defence . The only reason we were caught out was Vaughan slipped up on what was looking like a good attack.
    Donegal relies heavily on the accuracy of Murphy.
    Aiden was poor but for the love of god he got some crap balls in to him at times . With 2 big men ( Conor and Aiden) we should simply have had Regan feeding off thim.

We can still stay up but I am thinking our relegation battle will be decided in kiltoom and the Roscommon contingent would be more than happy to send us down to division 2

Roll on the league but our focus is June and onwards

PressRun wrote: »
    Keith Higgins expected to be out for three weeks with the hamstring. Disappointing stuff there, especially since he's just back.

In other news, the Mayo ladies are doing the business at the moment. Cora Staunton scored 2-10 as Mayo beat Armagh 4-17 to 1-13, ending Armagh's unbeaten run. Some woman.

I hope someone is keeping score.
    Because when she finally hangs up the boots the tally of scores is going to be out of this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

That awful news on Higgins .
    He looked sharp at half forward .

Didn't expect the win after donegals impressive start .
    Donegal really only got that running game going for the goal and that is a credit to our defence . The only reason we were caught out was Vaughan slipped up on what was looking like a good attack.
    Donegal relies heavily on the accuracy of Murphy.
    Aiden was poor but for the love of god he got some crap balls in to him at times . With 2 big men ( Conor and Aiden) we should simply have had Regan feeding off thim.

We can still stay up but I am thinking our relegation battle will be decided in kiltoom and the Roscommon contingent would be more than happy to send us down to division 2

Roll on the league but our focus is June and onwards

Good luck with finding a game in Kiltoom that day. Maybe the St. Brigids U14 girls team might be about.

Match is in the Hyde ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Didn't expect a result but disappointed we didn't. It was there for the taking but we ran out of gas. Still better performance than any of the other games so thats a help.
    Positives, once more DOC and Shane Nally played well. Very soft goal to give away. Sliced us open. Higgins was a big loss as he was slicing them open as McHugh did to us.
    Some of the carry on by the Donegal management on the sideline would want to be looked at, the abuse the 4th official got from Gallagher is out of order.

Still plenty of points to play for and a win against Monaghan the next day is achievable. Though someone will need to be very tight on McManus after his Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

yop wrote: »
    Some of the carry on by the Donegal management on the sideline would want to be looked at, the abuse the 4th official got from Gallagher is out of order.
    Agree completely. Was sitting near the 4th official - was disgraceful. And their Maor Foirne I'd say ran more miles than some of the players. Constantly on the pitch!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

glack wrote: »
    Agree completely. Was sitting near the 4th official - was disgraceful. And their Maor Foirne I'd say ran more miles than some of the players. Constantly on the pitch!!

I wouldn't mind the Maor Foirne, though our got hit twice by the Donegal lads.
    Its cuteness in some terms, but the abuse that they gave out isn't good. You can't run 20 or 30 m to hurl abuse at a 4th official or anyone to be honest. The 4th official took it well and mentioned it to his assistant.

We need to regroup and get a result in Monaghan, a hard task now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

Hell of a game it must be said!

Mayo continuing to improve and I like the way they're moving the ball but you shouldn't be conceding a goal like that from a kick-out at this level.

Rochford's probably not getting enough of out of his forwards and Mayo seemed at a loss facing that Donegal defence which predictably was highly organised and very aggressive.

Still lots of positives coming out of the game, not least the young lads who continue to improve. Very impressed by Conor Loftus coming off the bench. Not sure if Higgins should be deployed as a half-forward at this stage of his career but that experiment is over for the next few rounds regardless. The remaining games in the league are tough but winnable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I've the penalty (and shinaginnings before it) from O'Connor uploaded now. Thanks to my niece for videoing it! :)

• Advertisement

The ref handled that situation around the goal quite poorly, tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

mayo.mick wrote: »
    I've the penalty (and shinaginnings before it) from O'Connor uploaded now. Thanks to my niece for videoing it! :)

If only somebody had a handbag !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

As I thought, took 4 minutes for this penalty incident to finish up. The injury-time in games is really a pet hate of mine. Always the standard 2 minutes unless something drastic happens. The penalty incident would be classified as drastic so the time is upped to 4 minutes. Which still isn't appropriate given all the yellows & subs in this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

Fair play to diarmuid on how he dealt with the nonsense from some of the donegal players. Pulling and dragging out of him and bumping him trying to get into his head.
    A true pro just like his brother. Top class player.

How do people think we'll fare against monaghan?
    In other years i'd have been very worried right now the way the results have gone, but we're behind schedule, we're improving all the time and are beginning to gel together more as a team as the weeks have gone on. Think it will be tough but we'll get our first 2 points this weekend. Keith higgins a big loss but i think brendan harrison will be well up to the task of picking up mcmanus.
    Our backs our doing well. If we can keep the free's to a minimum around the scoring area we'll fare ok i think. Conor loftus did well when brought on the last day.
    More of the forwards need to start taking responsibility with regard to scoring.

Containing McManus will be key given the form he's in at the moment. Wouldn't be surprised to see a double marking job on him.

I honestly don't know if we'll win next weekend, but there are signs of improvement with every game, which is encouraging. I got the impression from McEntee in the Mayo News interview that there's been an element of going back to basics with the new management and trying to improve on things like tight man-marking and such. He seems happy enough with the progress so far and it sounds like the players are buying into it. To be honest, it doesn't seem as though anyone within the camp is panicking and are playing the long game instead. The plan is to be still playing football by September and I think they're working towards having things right for then. If that means sacrficing league wins, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 paidinmhaire

Back to basics eh ? Hmm, interesting

Obviously the previous incumbents werent even up to that approach.
    Anyway sure it'll be a complex and very well thought out back to basics approach no doubt.

Mayo team for Sunday,2 changes..

Robert Hennelly
    Brendan Harrison
    Ger Cafferkey
    Chris Barrett
    Lee Keegan
    Colm Boyle
    Shane Nally
    Tom Parsons
    Jason Gibbons
    Diarmuid O Connor
    Aidan O Shea
    Kevin McLoughlin
    Evan Regan
    Jason Doherty
    Conor O Shea

First 2 points on the board v Monaghan. Phew!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Can i nominate mcquillen for monaghans man of the match!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Did well to win that, McManus was missing absolutely nothing from what I heard.

AOS black card was also a harsh one from what I've been told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

kupus wrote: »
    Can i nominate mcquillen for monaghans man of the match!!!

Why on earth was he given that match? Surely a ref from Leinster/ Munster should've got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Massive win
    Good to win a tight one !

Fantastic win!

And kudos to the Senior Hurlers who beat hot favourites, Down, in Newry today, by 0-20 to 0-16. Top of their league now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

And kudos to the Senior Hurlers who beat hot favourites, Down, in Newry today, by 0-20 to 0-16. Top of their league now.
    And the ladies....

Kalyke wrote: »
    And the ladies....

Score ????:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Score ????:D
    Kerry2-6 2-8Mayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Ok so next weekend we need to do a job over Kerry at home and Monaghan beat cork . Actually as long as there isn't a draw there it should work in our favour .
    Kerry Donegal today had a lot of cynicism but showed Kerry's need for points as did donegals intent on a semifinal spot .
    Should be tough for us next week. Kerry Dublin and Donegal have the meanest defences and thankfully we are now in that mix . Just need to sort out the front six .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Mighty win. Good to see few scores from play. DOC doesn't stop, Boyle immense. Regan did well along with COS. Clones grand spot for a game too

Need to push on now next week. Big game for March.

• Advertisement

Great to finally get some points on the board and it's a morale boost to win a close one. More than anything though, it's great that there's constant improvement match to match. There's no running on the spot.

Sounds like Diarmuid O'Connor is continuing to flourish. We've got a real gem there.

Colm Boyle showing brilliant leadership again. Possible captain for the rest of the year?

Ger Cafferky did a great job on McManus too.

Although it seems to be doubtful that the AOS black card was the correct call, may it have been a blessing in disguise? It sounds like it forced the team to adapt and drive on.

Sounds like a bad day for refereeing in general. Have never been a fan of McQuillan myself. Eddie Kinsella had a nightmare down in Tralee too. No control over the game at all and horrible indiscipline from both sides.

Yes some really stand out performances today.Diarmuid O Connor is a truly wonderful player,ditto Colm Boyle.He's a strong candidate for captain come championship time.The whole defence really stood up,kudos to the often maligned Ger Cafferkey,great job on Conor McManus who was restricted to scoring from frees.

Some of Joe McQuillan's decisions were mystifying to the point of bizarre.. Aidan O Shea's black card,a free out Andy Moran and numerous others.

Still need to find that little bit up front but lots of positives for next Sunday.

Yeah, I think the jury's still out on a couple of the younger lads in the forward line. These tough matches are good for them though.

I think there's a strong possibility though that Shane Nally is going to be in the team come championship time. He seems to be going steady.

Diarmuid O'Connor.....just wow.

Himself and colm boyle are two of the hardest working players ive seen in a mayo jersey.
    Doc up and down the pitch all day long, doing all the dirty work and still pitching in with scores at the other end. he Absolutely empties himself every game. He's just fantastic. Brilliant.
    Boyler the same. So dedicated, determined and passionate in the tackle. Fantastic captain today that led by example.
    Dont get me wrong i think keegan is fantastic and great for driving the team on but u dont see boyle at some of the silly stuff that keegan gets himself involved in.
    McQuillin made some bizarre decisions today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Any one no when coc is back we badly need a free taker it could be as big as us staying up or going down

naughto wrote: »
    Any one no when coc is back we badly need a free taker it could be as big as us staying up or going down

Don't think he's expected back until April or thereabouts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

The monkeys next door are on a high again. Can't wait to give them the hammering they're due......

Yeah I don't believe Cillian O Connor will be back before the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yeah I don't believe Cillian O Connor will be back before the championship.

He shouldn't be
    He needs to be 100% this year
    He was nowhere near last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Rawhead wrote: »
    The monkeys next door are on a high again. Can't wait to give them the hammering they're due......

Did u not hear there going to win the world cup

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement