Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

PressRun wrote: »
    I agree that the league can be great for some teams to build confidence and momentum going into the summer (particularly teams that are new to the top flight), but I think other teams are championship teams and the league is just used as a platform for trying things out and seeing what works and what doesn't. Tyrone and Kerry would be two teams that spring to mind as teams that have still had good championships without doing particularly well in the league (Tyrone made an AI semi-final last year after being relegated from Div 1, Kerry won the AI in 2014 after just avoiding Div 1 relegation). Success or poor performances in the league doesn't necessarily guarantee anything going forward, especially when it comes to top tier teams.

So while it's entirely possible that Mayo have just run out of steam this year, I think it's equally (if not more) likely that minds are firmly on the summer and to have things coming together for the championship. They definitely still have a lot of work to do to catch up to where other teams are in terms of fitness levels and they're still missing a couple of very important players, not to mention they're probably still in an adjustment period getting used to a new managerial style, new personalities getting to know each other, etc. Instant gratification was never likely under the circumstances.

That isn't to gloss over the poor performance yesterday (or rather the poor second half performance more than anything). There are serious issues that need addressing in the coming weeks/months, particularly the ponderous nature of the forwards, accurate free-taking and how to get the best from AOS. I also thought DOC looked a wee bit knackered yesterday and might be due rest?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that while there is clearly a way to go and vast improvements to be made, I wouldn't be willing to make any definite judgements on where we are or where we're ultimately going based on a sketchy league.

Btw, does anyone think that Cillian O'Connor is perhaps going to be captain for the year?

The way I look at it this
    Unexpected good league form does not necessarily carry forward to the championship , however unexpected poor league form may often be an indication of something that is terminally wrong.

The former however seems to happen more often than the latter.
    Recent examples have been Derry and Cork a few years back, and Mayo in 2010.
    The reason for this maybe the some teams are playing the league with closer to their championship squad than others.

Now I’m not that up to speed with what is or what is not Roscommon’s championship 15, but are the teams that they are fielding in this NFL close to it ?

We know that Mayo have players like Cillian O’ Connor, Tom Cuniffe, Keith Higgins etc to come back,
    Kerry have Anthony Maher, David Moran, James O’ Donoughe etc.
    Dublin probably have half a team that could slot straight in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

The way I look at it this
    Unexpected good league form does not necessarily carry forward to the championship , however unexpected poor league form may often be an indication of something that is terminally wrong.

The former however seems to happen more often than the latter.
    Recent examples have been Derry and Cork a few years back, and Mayo in 2010.
    The reason for this maybe the some teams are playing the league with closer to their championship squad than others.

Now I’m not that up to speed with what is or what is not Roscommon’s championship 15, but are the teams that they are fielding in this NFL close to it ?

We know that Mayo have players like Cillian O’ Connor, Tom Cuniffe, Keith Higgins etc to come back,
    Kerry have Anthony Maher, David Moran, James O’ Donoughe etc.
    Dublin probably have half a team that could slot straight in.

I think it's a bit premature to say that something is terminally wrong. There's been a lot of upheaval recently and I don't think things are even fully returned to normal. They've said themselves that the goal is an All-Ireland. I don't know that the league much features in their goals right now. Obviously, in an ideal world a team would like to win every match they play, but given the circumstances, I don't think that was ever going to be possible. Having things right for the summer should be the aim.

I don't even think that it's just not having some key players back that's slowing them down either, it's also the fact that fitness levels still need work and there's a new mangerial style that needs to be adapted to, with possibly a new style of play being implemented as well. It takes time to get things slotted into place and to get things working as you would like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

yop wrote: »
    Agree re the penalty, umpire could see it and the Sunday Game even hightlighted the abuse he gets, if that was Gooch, what would the result be???
    Ah now! If you were at the match you may have noticed the fact that Ger Cafferkey had a fist full of Coopers jersey all day. It wasn't until Cooper was brought out the field and away from Cafferkey that he got into the game really. About time too. Donaghy bullied Cafferkey in those two games in 2014, he's come back much stronger and tougher for it IMO. O'Shea also let Cooper have a few thumps off the ball as well. Cooper deals with plenty abuse and has been dealing with it for 14 years!

I've said it before, O'Shea gets dragged a lot, but no more then Donaghy, Murphy and O'Gara. Big men for some reason find it hard to get frees in general. I think he actually got a few handy ones yesterday for me. Went down after grabbing Crowley's jersey at one stage, and another next to Fionn Fitzgerald. But then he should get frees other times and doesn't.

In the stands it seemed like he was barging with the ball prior to the penalty, but after watching it back, he was trying to avoid barging by spinning. The problem (as I have stated in the Kerry thread) was that he put the ball over the bar! If it had gone wide, the referee may well have pulled it back for a penalty under the advantage rule. However, as soon as the ball goes over the bar, he can't over-rule the score and give the penalty (imagine the complaints if the penalty was missed).

There should be an option for the attacking team in a situation like that.

By the way, on a personal note, not happy with Fionn's actions to get DOC sent off. We used to give out stink about Tyrone's use of those tactics in years gone by. O'Mahoney was at it vs Donegal, and Fionn kicking the ball away to delay time frustrated O'Connor. He was silly to lash out while on a yellow, but Fionn clearly was looking for the altrication.

Donaghy really isn't well liked around ye're parts! :P The biggest cheer of the day was when the red came out. It wasn't even a bad tackle really. Silly, but not massively dangerous. A silly one to make when on a yellow card anyway.
    Andy Moran destroyed all the momentum that would have come with the sending off by blasting the free wide, and the game was won from then IMO. Brainless from an experienced guy.

Also, at 4 points down and a man to spare, what on earth was Lee Keegan doing sitting in the Full Back line, hands on hips beside a static Darren O'Sullivan. One of (if not the best) attacking wing backs in the country wasted. Poor tactical awareness from Rochford or else Keegan might not be fully right yet?

Tom Parsons had a great game. I thought Boyle played well,tracking Murphy, but Murphy cleverly dragged him out of position at times leaving gaps through the middle. Vaughan was pretty anonymous.

Hope we can beat Monaghan and give ye a chance to stay up. Was chatting to one of the Mayo players yesterday, and he is still thinking positively. He thinks Monaghan are kept to 6 points, Mayo can reach that figure and stay up on HTH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Ah now! If you were at the match you may have noticed the fact that Ger Cafferkey had a fist full of Coopers jersey all day. It wasn't until Cooper was brought out the field and away from Cafferkey that he got into the game really. About time too. Donaghy bullied Cafferkey in those two games in 2014, he's come back much stronger and tougher for it IMO. O'Shea also let Cooper have a few thumps off the ball as well. Cooper deals with plenty abuse and has been dealing with it for 14 years!

I've said it before, O'Shea gets dragged a lot, but no more then Donaghy, Murphy and O'Gara. Big men for some reason find it hard to get frees in general. I think he actually got a few handy ones yesterday for me. Went down after grabbing Crowley's jersey at one stage, and another next to Fionn Fitzgerald. But then he should get frees other times and doesn't.

In the stands it seemed like he was barging with the ball prior to the penalty, but after watching it back, he was trying to avoid barging by spinning. The problem (as I have stated in the Kerry thread) was that he put the ball over the bar! If it had gone wide, the referee may well have pulled it back for a penalty under the advantage rule. However, as soon as the ball goes over the bar, he can't over-rule the score and give the penalty (imagine the complaints if the penalty was missed).

By the way, on a personal note, not happy with Fionn's actions to get DOC sent off. We used to give out stink about Tyrone's use of those tactics in years gone by. O'Mahoney was at it vs Donegal, and Fionn kicking the ball away to delay time frustrated O'Connor. He was silly to lash out while on a yellow, but Fionn clearly was looking for the altrication.

Donaghy really isn't well liked around ye're parts! :P The biggest cheer of the day was when the red came out. It wasn't even a bad tackle really. Silly, but not massively dangerous. A silly one to make when on a yellow card anyway.
    Andy Moran destroyed all the momentum that would have come with the sending off by blasting the free wide, and the game was won from then IMO. Brainless from an experienced guy.

Also, at 4 points down and a man to spare, what on earth was Lee Keegan doing sitting in the Full Back line, hands on hips beside a static Darren O'Sullivan. One of (if not the best) attacking wing backs in the country wasted. Poor tactical awareness from Rochford or else Keegan might not be fully right yet?

Tom Parsons had a great game. I thought Boyle played well,tracking Murphy, but Murphy cleverly dragged him out of position at times leaving gaps through the middle. Vaughan was pretty anonymous.

Hope we can beat Monaghan and give ye a chance to stay up. Was chatting to one of the Mayo players yesterday, and he is still thinking positively. He thinks Monaghan are kept to 6 points, Mayo can reach that figure and stay up on HTH.

Excellent analysis and very fair
    You nailed it in the Andy Morab free
    Absolutely ludicrous and shows lessons are not being learnt year on year !
    On donaghy he is a bit of a pantomine villain but make no mistake he is admired by a LOT of mayo football folk ! We might have an AI or 2 if we had him instead of ye :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Top post!TBF I thought Donaghy's red card was pretty harsh yesterday and he was outstanding to boot.

It would undoubtedly be preferable if we stayed in division one.It really is one wants to be playing inter county football at the very highest level.TBF we dominated the first half yesterday and in the end didn't get our just rewards.Kerry were very extremely impressive in the second half. Taking into consideration the two potential goal chances spurned,the calamity that was the second goal and there could have been happier outcome.It is indeed a tad alarming the potential absence of a tactical nous exemplified by Lee Keegan's positioning post Donaghy's sending off.It many have been a once off oversight.

Many have noted the bedding in of Stephen Rochford's modus operandi,experimentation and notable absentees.Who knows what type of energy sapping training/weights the players are in the midst of at the present time.

There has been a gradual performance progression and the defence with the sweeper system in situ has looked far more secure.Ger Cafferkey has been very impressive during the campaign,the full back line does not give me palpitations every time a high ball is thrown in on top of then unlike in the last few years.One can't legislate for unforced errors like Robert Hennelly's yesterday without considering a change of goalkeeper.Pretty harsh but I'm sure David Clarke will be breathing down his neck.

I've always that Kevin McLoughlin is far better at taking a score when he has no time to think about it!Both Donal Vaughan and Cathal Carolan unfortunately did not do their future prospects any good with their performances yesterday.

Hopefully the lads can pull two big results out of the bag.I can't wait for Easter Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

km79 wrote: »
    Excellent analysis and very fair
    You nailed it in the Andy Morab free
    Absolutely ludicrous
    and shows lessons are not being learnt year on year !
    On donaghy he is a bit of a pantomine villain but make no mistake he is admired by a LOT of mayo football folk ! We might have an AI or 2 if we had him instead of ye :D

That guy has such a big ego imo. He must love looking at himself in the mirror. He seems to want all the limelight himself and in match changing situations he seems to always go for the score himself when there are better options out there. He is a great footballer but he needs to be a bit more selfless imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Realistically we need to start thinking about the prospect of Division 2 football.

Obviously it's far from ideal from both a football and financial point of view. But, with the resurgence of Roscommon and Galway slowly moving in the right direction, the days of the second gear stroll through the province are most definitely at an end so a season of DIvision 1 to keep things sharp is not as important as it was over the past four or five years.

I will be keeping a keen eye on Tyrone this summer to see if a season of Division 2 has softened them in any way-I suspect it won't!
    Because of the semi final draw I expect them to go all out to win Ulster and keep to the other side of the draw from the Leinster and Munster champions.

James Horan is on Off The Ball at 7.45 chatting about our league campaign thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

We can all agree the performance yesterday was very poor from the lads, but that was mayo truly at their worst. No gee about them. Very lethargic looking. Bad decision making. BUT put that down to being a bad day at the office.
    The lads will bounce back, there's no doubt about that. Its what we do. Their a bit all over the shop at the minute with players being in and out with injuries, castlebar lads are not back yet, the fact we're trying to get used to new management and their style, trying to figure out a system that works for us and remember we're a few weeks behind other teams preparation wise. When mayo play to their best they can be the best team in the country. Come championship time when we get our act together we'll be challenging big time again. Keep the faith!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I was at the match, Cooper got many many soft frees, untouchable at times. Other players, Kerry included got a lot more abuse and didn't get their frees.

Agree re the rest of the post. Linesmen are totally pointless at this stage.

Rochford was shown up badly yesterday, he has to learn, but he will need to learn quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    That guy has such a big ego imo. He must love looking at himself in the mirror. He seems to want all the limelight himself and in match changing situations he seems to always go for the score himself when there are better options out there. He is a great footballer but he needs to be a bit more selfless imo.

He was a great footballer he will be limited to impact sub from now on

seligehgit wrote: »
    Top post!TBF I thought Donaghy's red card was pretty harsh yesterday and he was outstanding to boot.

Really ?
    It was clearly a yellow at least and since it was his second he was gone.

Really ?
    It was clearly a yellow at least and since it was his second he was gone.

It was a yellow card but it was a tad clumsy as opposed to been particularly malicious in intent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Really ? It was clearly a yellow at least and since it was his second he was gone.

Yeah I thought this as well. It wasn't a 100% yellow, but when you tackle at the shoulder/neck area you run the risk.

The first yellow was a bit harsh. Himself and AOS both having a go at each other, but Donaghy was singled out for the card.

Still I don't really have any complaints overall. Fitzmaurice should have whipped him off straight after the yellow given his tackling style. He was always going to be a marked man in the referees eyes, after last week.

It's the usual scenario where you've a very tall player tackling a slightly shorter player,endless similar tackles happen whereby the player is caught around the neck oftentimes entirely accidental but due in large part to the height differential and a mistiming of the tackle/Donaghy's tackling style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Lads FYI Aidan O Shea is on The Toughest Trade tonight @ 9.55 on RTE 2 trying his hand at American Football whilst ex NFL star Roberto Wallace heads to Breaffy.It should be interesting.I've seen the promo,Robert Hennelly togs out too in McHale Park.

Brendan Maher the Tipperary hurler swaps places with the fine ex English seam bowler Steve Harmison.

EDIT ACTUALLY HE'S NOT ON UNTIL NEXT WEEK

Just watching it and poor Roberto seems to be having it tough in Mayo compared to Aido in US.

It was very enjoyable,Aidan came across very well,much as expected.Very modest lad,he is a quick learner when it came to the american football skillset.Extremely high standards required for the draft.Given adequate time I've no doubt he'd make it as an american footballer.These guys are playing the game up to 15 years.....As a top gaelic footballer he has many of the attributes and skills necessary for same.

Very nice tie in with the 51 team and the meet up with the flying doctor Padraig Carney.Self effacing sense of humour with regard to his at this stage sole possession of Connaught medals as opposed to All Ireland medals.Glad to see in spite of the many potential atttractions of the professional game he still wants to play his first love in terms of sports.Many humorous moments with all the glitz and glamour..the houses,views,yachts,property tax and fast cars...

Well done to the Breaffy club,all and sundry came across very well.The O Shea clan,Hennellys,Peter Forde,James Horan and the many others.Poor Roberto drew the short straw with the weather.He learned very quickly and as mentioned could in all probability play any sport.Very interesting that he is already retired at 29,american football evidently takes a toll on one's body.Pretty funny comments re the type of party they'd have for the Super Bowl in the US,tad tame affair in Ireland.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:
    It was very enjoyable,Aidan came across very well,much as expected.Very modest lad,he is a quick learner when it came to the american football skillset.Extremely high standards required for the draft.Given adequate time I've no doubt he'd make it as an american footballer.These guys are playing the game up to 15 years.....As a top gaelic footballer he has many of the attributes and skills necessary for same.

I enjoyed it a lot, both guys were great. AOS looked like the part, didn't make a fool of himself. Roberto is a smart cookie I'd say, and he played a full game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great program. Showed AOS in a different light and the transition from the amateur game to the PRO game where Roberto was earning 30k a week.
    The Super Bowl party "Looked" quite didn't it.... I think they must have cut out some it, them young lads aren't that quite normally :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Poor choice from the producers sending using both Aidan O'Shea and Brendan Maher for this series. I would have thought Somebody like Anthony Nash was an obvious choice for the hurling/cricket swap, his reflexes alone would at least ensure he could strike the ball.
    For the gaelic/American football at least use somebody that at least looks fit and underweight and can actually run (Paul Flynn springs to mind).

washman3 wrote: »
    Poor choice from the producers sending using both Aidan O'Shea and Brendan Maher for this series. I would have thought Somebody like Anthony Nash was an obvious choice for the hurling/cricket swap, his reflexes alone would at least ensure he could strike the ball.
    For the gaelic/American football at least use somebody that at least looks fit and underweight and can actually run (Paul Flynn springs to mind).

Are you really saying that AOS is over weight and unfit.....

Don't feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yop wrote:

I think yop that that's exactly what he's saying !!!!

Funny enough AOS style of football does leads him to tank early in intensive games imo having been effective early on.

Roberto commented on this last night on the radio, says he himself is built for explosive plays with rest periods in between and the relentless running for a full game was difficult for him, so yet another reason AOS was a good fit.

He has also stated elsewhere that AOS is the most overrated player of his generation .....

• Advertisement

Ah ya, I was only trying to see if he'd respond, but I'd say his mother slapped him around the head for it ;)

Such a major difference in life styles. What was more noticable was the difference in welcome the 2 lads got. Roberto was in everyone house and met "the mammy" while AOS was left to his own devices.

Ah ya, I was only trying to see if he'd respond, but I'd say his mother slapped him around the head for it ;)

Such a major difference in life styles. What was more noticable was the difference in welcome the 2 lads got. Roberto was in everyone house and met "the mammy" while AOS was left to his own devices.

I’d put that down to it being a difference in the perception of who is who.

Roberto Wallace, NFL ‘star’ is going to get more attention in Ireland than Aiden O’ Shea, player of indigenous sport that almost none has ever heard of in small country, is going to get in wherever he was in the US.

It was very enjoyable,Aidan came across very well,much as expected.Very modest lad

I don't know Aidan personally, but I've only ever heard great things from people who have had first-hand experiences with him. Apparently he's great with the fans, always very accommodating, happy to chat with anyone and everyone, take pictures with the kids, etc.

I don't know Aidan personally, but I've only ever heard great things from people who have had first-hand experiences with him. Apparently he's great with the fans, always very accommodating, happy to chat with anyone and everyone, take pictures with the kids, etc.

I can second this
    My young fella has met him twice and he was an absolute gentleman .
    I've seen it thrown around that he "courts the media " and this has lead to lads like some posters here recently thinking he is album headed etc
    I think all that was out to bed last night.
    Came across very well even if he is till living at home wit the mammy :)

Totally concur he's a wonderful ambassador for Mayo football.He is great with all and sundry,fans young and old.Nothing is too much trouble.

I know from personal experience,he performed a truly selfless gesture for a very sick young relative of mine for which I always be grateful.Absolute top man.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I can second this
    I've seen it thrown around that he "courts the media " and this has lead to lads like some posters here recently thinking he is album headed etc

I'm guessing that is auto correct or else its some condition that I don't know :D

I can second this

That notion that is thrown about that he courts the media is greatly exaggerated.What media outlet isn't going to show some degree of interest in a high profile inter county footballer.

I wouldn't begrudge any top inter county player any benefit they can accrue from their talents as long as it doesn't interfere with their performances.

They deserve same considering the largely thankless sacrifices they make for the love of their game,club and county.I firmly believe a Celtic Cross would mean more to Aidan than any monetary rewards.Quite obvious from the programme last night.

By all accounts he is quite a shy individual,contrary to popular belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Is there something wrong with him living at home?

Canadel wrote: »
    Is there something wrong with him living at home?

haha no of course not ! it's just at odds with his percieved persona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

haha no of course not ! it's just at odds with his percieved persona
    He's a very clever guy. Not the most intelligent person in the county, but the best footballer and he's exploited that in a very clever way, which he is of course entitled to do.

He's a very clever guy. Not the most intelligent person in the county, but the best footballer and he's exploited that in a very clever way, which he is of course entitled to do.

Absolutely ! They seem like a lovely family .
    Also the star of the show for me was Robbie Hennellys father
    He cut straight to the chase asking about ya mans wages :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Jaysus I'm watching Toughest Trade and if that curse is true the wait will continue for Sam. Pauric Carney looks fit enough to play still, the county board might not be able to afford to fly him home for games tho with McHale park repayments and relegation looming

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Well done to st joesph s Charlestown today on winning an ireland v gaelcholaiste reachrann off dublin..great achievement for a small school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

He has also stated elsewhere that AOS is the most overrated player of his generation .....

And I firmly stand by that statement.
    The stats don't lie.!! Check out his performances in major games.
    And a major game doesn't constitute scoring 3-5 off a Sligo junior fullback when that same player's team were beaten all over the pitch.
    And please don't use his 'wonder goal' V Donegal as a comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

First line is a strange back-handed insult, as is the last. But I cannot for the life of me get over the fact no one's pulled you up on the fact you've called AOS the best footballer on a team with Keith Higgins, Kevin McLoughlin, Colm Boyle and Lee Keegan. All players who I'd consider significantly better footballers than AOS.

AOS might be the best midfielder of his generation but he's far from the best footballer on the Mayo team. Saying best footballer has connotations you don't seem to have considered.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Just a friendly reminder to keep it civil, have deleted a number of posts, but the ban hammer may have to come out of storage if things continue!

Syferus wrote: »
    First line is a strange back-handed insult, as is the last. But I cannot for the life of me get over the fact no one's pulled you up on the fact you've called AOS the best footballer on a team with Keith Higgins, Kevin McLoughlin, Colm Boyle and Lee Keegan. All players who I'd consider significantly better footballers than AOS.

AOS might be the best midfielder of his generation but he's far from the best footballer on the Mayo team. Saying best footballer has connotations you don't seem to have considered.

I'd consider Keith Higgins or Lee Keegan the best footballer on the team,Colm Boyle is right up there.Not so sure re Kevin McLoughlin,he has been struggling a tad for a few years now and is lacking in consistency.He has not performed very well in the many of the big games.

If I had to call it,Higgins has been the talisman for 10 years plus,exceptional performances on a consistent basis up to 2015.It's a real shame about his recent injuries.

Anyway here's hoping we can bring home the bacon in Croke Park today.We don't want repetitions of the disastrous early black card for Richie in 2013.It appears to be the case that the forecast is good,most days out in Croker on St. Patrick's day I've experienced are the coldest day of the year.

The Ballyboden midfielder Declan O Mahony has failed in his appeal to get his red card overturned.

Speaking of which if Diarmuid O Connor continues at his current rate of progression you can throw him into the mix,he has the potential to be truly outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Jaysus I'm watching Toughest Trade and if that curse is true the wait will continue for Sam. Pauric Carney looks fit enough to play still, the county board might not be able to afford to fly him home for games tho with McHale park repayments and relegation looming
    It was checked, they have the funerals register. There was no funeral in Foxford on the Monday after the final for this supposed curse to be true. There is no curse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

It was checked, they have the funerals register. There was no funeral in Foxford on the Monday after the final for this supposed curse to be true. There is no curse.

It was Ballaghaderreen in every story I've heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Speaking of which if Diarmuid O Connor continues at his current rate of progression you can throw him into the mix,he has the potential to be truly outstanding.

Exactly, if his improvement continues on the sharp upward curve it's been on, there'll be no point debating who the best footballer is on the Mayo team.

Don't forget Cillian !

Even if there was a funeral that day, there's no such thing as 'curses' so..

Keith Higgins is currently the best footballer on the team, imo. He's one of the best footballers in the country, in fact. Kevin McLoughlin is nowhere near consistent enough. Diarmuid O'Connor is on an upward trajectory.

I think it's time to temporarily suspend chat re the county team for the day thats in it. At 4pm.......

Keep-Calm-and-Love-Castlebar-Mitchels.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

washman3 wrote: »
    And I firmly stand by that statement.
    The stats don't lie.!! Check out his performances in major games.
    And a major game doesn't constitute scoring 3-5 off a Sligo junior fullback when that same player's team were beaten all over the pitch.
    And please don't use his 'wonder goal' V Donegal as a comeback.
    ZzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzZzzzzzz

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement