Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Syferus wrote: »
    First line is a strange back-handed insult, as is the last. But I cannot for the life of me get over the fact no one's pulled you up on the fact you've called AOS the best footballer on a team with Keith Higgins, Kevin McLoughlin, Colm Boyle and Lee Keegan. All players who I'd consider significantly better footballers than AOS.

AOS might be the best midfielder of his generation but he's far from the best footballer on the Mayo team. Saying best footballer has connotations you don't seem to have considered.
    Nothing insulting about it. He has exploited his popularity and footballing ability very well. Hence I called him clever.

All excellent players, but O'Shea is simply in a different sphere. He's a more complete and adaptable footballer than any of the others. Higgins comes closest to challenging him, but even he falls short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Castlebar fairly ****ting the bed right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Fair balls to Ballybodin but Mitchells performance was up there with the worst ever seen in a major final. How can a good team underperform to such a degree? The regrets from a showing like that leave an indelible imprint. There seemed to be a lack of even basic effort at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 paidinmhaire

Disappointing contribution from the players that Castlebar would have been looking to to put in a good performance and provide leadership.
    Tom Cuniffe looked in a lot of trouble from the start in terms of pace and for a man of his experience the penalty give away he wont be happy with. Barry didn't feature enough at all and was lucky to stay on the field, he seemed to raise his elbow into the BB players jaw. Richie was ineffective and on many occasions served only to slow the pace of attack. Danny didn't feature much but maybe he didn't get the service or opportunity.
    overall the number of kicking and handling errors from a lot of the Castlebar players from the throw in was of a ridiculously low standard , I'd say management could not believe what they were looking at.
    The club championship in Dublin could be moving ahead of other counties in a big way it seems, maybe its not fair to be too critical of Mitchels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

The club championship in Dublin could be moving ahead of other counties in a big way it seems, maybe its not fair to be too critical of Mitchels.
    Too big a selection of players to choose from and consequently too much quality. Mitchel's simply can't beat the best Dublin clubs playing purely football. They need a game plan, some kind of set up and structure that will both stop the Dub teams from playing to their optimum and allow Mitchel's to take more efficiently from whatever chances they create. Easier said than done I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 paidinmhaire

Canadel wrote: »
    Too big a selection of players to choose from and consequently too much quality. Mitchel's simply can't beat the best Dublin clubs playing purely football. They need a game plan, some kind of set up and structure that will both stop the Dub teams from playing to their optimum and allow Mitchel's to take more efficiently from whatever chances they create. Easier said than done I know.

Yeah that's a fair point, though I'm sure they had a game plan, theres a lot of experience and knowledge on that Mitchels management team.When a lot of your players are unable execute the basics at high speed, whether due to very able opposition or something else, then I'm not sure theres a plan B or even a plan A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

And to think we cancelled our parade for that!

Ah no in all seriousness, I think it was a bad case of nerves that cost us the game, we all know the talent is there within the panel but they badly underperformed (whatever's in the water in Mayo seems to make us all terrified of Croke Park finals) and Ballyboden took their chances pretty effectively.

Hard luck though, it was a great achievement reaching two finals in three years. Have to pin my hopes on the county team now to avoid relegation and have a good run in the championship.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    but Mitchells performance was up there with the worst ever seen in a major final. How can a good team underperform to such a degree? The regrets from a showing like that leave an indelible imprint. There seemed to be a lack of even basic effort at times.

Spot on. No other way to describe it. Was in Croker today. Thats the junior, intermediate and senior all ireland club finals lost within the last 6 weeks. Has any other county actually managed to discover new levels of misery that we seem to have a unique ability to find?

Spot on. No other way to describe it. Was in Croker today. Thats the junior, intermediate and senior all ireland club finals lost within the last 6 weeks. Has any other county actually managed to discover new levels of misery that we seem to have a unique ability to find?

All appears to be stemming from completely useless forwards. Is there something different done at under age in Mayo compared to other counties that for year after year we produce such bad forwards. They didn't have clue what to do today and started going for goals in the first 10 minutes when easy points should of been available ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Its a shocking indictment on Mayo football.

How can a team with Castlebars quality of player, and player experience, suck so much on the big occasion ?

I beyond shocking.

It reminds me of the 2006 AI final.
    Mayo are back, two years after a defeat, and the expectation is that they have at least learned from the previous experience, and they go out and perform even worse than the first time.
    That's what today reminded me of.

Why can't our players do what so many other clubs and county teams do year in year out.
    Get to a big game, step it up, perform on the day and win the title.

Why can't that happen.

Its sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

All appears to be stemming from completely useless forwards. Is there something different done at under age in Mayo compared to other counties that for year after year we produce such bad forwards ?
    Yes there is something different, our players work on skills less. Our young players train only when club training is on. A measly two hours a week, skills development is average with few footballs and large sided games where strong players dominate.
    - No schools training
    - National schools not even togging teams
    - Club football is filled with outside Managers trying to win right now with zero focus on development of skill in even the medium term.
    Meanwhile we're trying to protein shake and foam roll our way to an All Ireland at Senior level. The answer is simply young players with footballs in schools and at home.
    We should have diverted 20% of the senior budget ages ago into St Colemans, St.Gerards, Muiredachs, St Tiernans, St. Josephs, St. Brendans, Swinford, Balla, Westport, St. Louis and St Nathys. Not all those schools own footballs. They borrow them on match day from the local club.
    We have an insanely big senior panel each Year while our schools tog for matches to an audience of one teacher using one borrowed football and borrowed jerseys.

and started going for goals in the first 10 minutes when easy points should of been available ?

Yes, heard that widely discussed today. Unease set in early which then mushroomed into way worse. Many point chances there for the taking were spurned that could have settled the team down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Complete utter crap from Castlebar... not marking up and defenders too far off the BB forwards.
    Too slow getting the ball into the forward line results in the opposition getting back in numbers to defend as well. We carry the ball way to much into a load of defenders and don't let it off early into the forward line. I witnessed the same **** from Mayo last sunday.
    I can only remember one long kick into the forward line today at around 57 mins. It is extremely frustrating to watch this naive play

But sure is it any suprise when the favorite drill in Mayo clubs is the handpassing in a small square little 2 yard handpasses, with 8 players chasing 8 players in a square smaller than a tennis court. An outside Manager with a face like a pissed off bulldog roaring Work, work, work, work. Not much kickpassing or skill can result from that. This is the kind of Gray manure chases skillful Players out of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Its a shocking indictment on Mayo football.

How can a team with Castlebars quality of player, and player experience, suck so much on the big occasion ?

I beyond shocking.

It reminds me of the 2006 AI final.
    Mayo are back, two years after a defeat, and the expectation is that they have at least learned from the previous experience, and they go out and perform even worse than the first time.
    That's what today reminded me of.

Why can't our players do what so many other clubs and county teams do year in year out.
    Get to a big game, step it up, perform on the day and win the title.

Why can't that happen.

Its sickening.
    Not being picky but there was a gulf and class between Mayo and Kerry back then. I don't that class gap existed today, Castlebar for whatever reasons failed to produce anything like a final performance. They looked like they were playing a friendly against a non rival opponent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The last three games bb played were all against non dublin teams and they were all far better performances than Castlebar showed today. Portlaoise must be going mad and CMR too.

Everything went right for bb and nothing worked for Castlebar. Castlebar messed up big time and wasted a huge opportunity to deliver today that's their own issue 100% imo.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Not being picky but there was a gulf and class between Mayo and Kerry back then. I don't that class gap existed today, Castlebar for whatever reasons failed to produce anything like a final performance. They looked like they were playing a friendly against a non rival opponent.

I agree that there was a gulf in class, and it seems that peoples opinions of that gulf have come to the fore more as time has worn on.
    At the time optimism was high in Mayo, many like myself figured that they learned something for 2004 and we gave them a fighting chance or better.
    But on the day they went out there like they had learned nothing.
    And that's what is most annoying about today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Stoner wrote: »
    The last three games bb played were all against non dublin teams and they were all far better performances than Castlebar showed today. Portlaoise must be going mad and CMR too.

Everything went right for bb and nothing worked for Castlebar. Castlebar messed up big time and wasted a huge opportunity to deliver today that's their own issue 100% imo.

+1

Castlebar didn't show up today. Plain and simple. They were flat, leggy, lethargic and their work rate left a lot to be desired. That doesn't have a darn thing to do with the state of the Dublin club championship.

All appears to be stemming from completely useless forwards. Is there something different done at under age in Mayo compared to other counties that for year after year we produce such bad forwards. They didn't have clue what to do today and started going for goals in the first 10 minutes when easy points should of been available ?

It can't be that simple.

If it was a lack of forwards then we would not be getting to the number of finals that Mayo teams have been getting to for the last 27 years.

I dare not count the number of national finals Mayo county and club teams have reached since the 1989 Senior Final, but I can only recall a handful of wins.
    1 x League
    1 x Minor
    1 x U21
    2 x Club Senior.

How come the return rate is so bad ?

Today was another example of it.
    The total and utter inability of seasoned players to go out and execute like seasoned players are supposed to in a major final.

I've always been one to disregard the "Mayo loser mentality" explanation, but after that today you can't argue with people for using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

That castlebar team beat 2 damn good sides to get to the final . It was a no show and anyone making comparisons to the county or indeed state of Dublin football should leave it for another discussion . I was at it today and no one can feel anything what the players were going through right now . Knowing that they are a hell of a lot better than what was put on today

On paper at least Mitchell's were at least favourites . Credit to boden for putting in a fine performance .
    Mitchell's are no where near that performance today . Sadly though they will as will Mayo be forever judged by it .

As for the state of the county we will only know in July to September . Early days.

• Advertisement

I just don't know what the hell is wrong with football in Mayo. How can a bunch of guys show no balls on the biggest game for their club.

Maybe we do too much of the back clapping in mayo and we are not critical enough.

Today was nothing short of terrible... shameful. I know loads will say the players will be feeling bad but I think they fooking should with serving up that ****e. What do they expect with that load of crap... what about playing with a bit of pride for your club and county....

Sometimes it feels like we have to be 20% better than the opposition in order to win....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I just don't know what the hell is wrong with football in Mayo. How can a bunch of guys show no balls on the biggest game for their club.

Maybe we do too much of the back clapping in mayo and we are not critical enough.

Today was nothing short of terrible... shameful. I know loads will say the players will be feeling bad but I think they fooking should with serving up that ****e. What do they expect with that load of crap... what about playing with a bit of pride for your club and county....

Sometimes it feels like we have to be 20% better than the opposition in order to win....
    That would be a good idea ! And maybe that would help when teams get caught in the headlights in some of these big games !

It should be Mayo's (Private ) Motto from now on. We better keep it to ourselves because we don't want to gg-eee up the opposition.

The old believing their own hype problem ?

I think that had been eradicated from inter county teams, but maybe not from club teams.

Before the Cross game I noticed a lot of optimism around Castlebar and when I asked why, the most common answer seemed to like "these guys are good, this is our year".

I even asked about it on this thread, but got no replies.

Cross are a good team with lots of experience, not to be taken with a pinch of salt.

But they went on to beat Cross and based on the nature of BBs win over Clonmel, I too got the feeling that they should go on and won it all.

Maybe this was their year !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

It can't be that simple.

If it was a lack of forwards then we would not be getting to the number of finals that Mayo teams have been getting to for the last 27 years.

I dare not count the number of national finals Mayo county and club teams have reached since the 1989 Senior Final, but I can only recall a handful of wins.
    1 x League
    1 x Minor
    1 x U21
    2 x Club Senior.

How come the return rate is so bad ?

Today was another example of it.
    The total and utter inability of seasoned players to go out and execute like seasoned players are supposed to in a major final.

I've always been one to disregard the "Mayo loser mentality" explanation, but after that today you can't argue with people for using it.

Someone was telling me last night that there was an article in the Irish Times yesterday I think about the number of finals we have been in. 34 (now 35) and only 5 wins.

The old believing their own hype problem ?

I think that had been eradicated from inter county teams, but maybe not from club teams.

Before the Cross game I noticed a lot of optimism around Castlebar and when I asked why, the most common answer seemed to like "these guys are good, this is our year".

I even asked about it on this thread, but got no replies.

Cross are a good team with lots of experience, not to be taken with a pinch of salt.

But they went on to beat Cross and based on the nature of BBs win over Clonmel, I too got the feeling that they should go on and won it all.

Maybe this was their year !

Quite possible they believed their own hype. Durcan was on saying they were a better team now than 2 years ago. Better at what I would ask? ... making a bigger mess of a final...

We use to much of the short handpassing and we don't kick the ball. We are too slow to attack and as a result the opposition can get back. This happened yesterday and on sunday against Kerry.

We have a big guy in AOS which in my opinion is best suited at full forward, yet we don't know how to kick the ball into him... .. The support is terrible for him as well. AOS causes panic in any full back line when he gets the ball in his hands.

Last sunday for the whole of the first half, all attacks came down the right hand side. The players never tried to vary the attack down the left but Cathal Carolan was not fit and he didn't have the power in his legs to kick the ball never mind beat a player. He needs another year out to sort himself. He was left on for 3/4 of the game. WTF was that about.

I don't post here much but yesterday was the mirror image of 04/06 where I felt like someone had robbed me or stole my woman. I was ready to go slapping and I hate violence.

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Someone was telling me last night that there was an article in the Irish Times yesterday I think about the number of finals we have been in. 34 (now 35) and only 5 wins.
    The Question is how are We good enough to get to so many Finals:confused:

Its a mystery ! But the only way out of it is having teams that are good enough to get to Finals and being strong enough to perform in the Finals and being able if necessary to recover from an unfavourable start. Obviously it would be better not to have a bad start but it can happen.

Anyway its a Mystery . I suppose we needs People/Teams that are strong enough mentally/ability wise to take on the challenge and not give up until they "WIN"

blinding wrote: »
    The Question is how are We good enough to get to so many Finals:confused:

Its a mystery ! But the only way out of it is having teams that are good enough to get to Finals and being strong enough to perform in the Finals and being able if necessary to recover from an unfavourable start. Obviously it would be better not to have a bad start but it can happen.

Anyway its a Mystery . I suppose we needs People/Teams that are strong enough mentally/ability wise to take on the challenge and not give up until they "WIN"

And why does this inability to perform in finals transcend through teams and generations ?

We hear all the time about other teams , “being hungrier”, “wanting it more”, “not leaving without the trophy” etc.

But that never seems to happen with Mayo teams .

Is there a certain malaise in the county where on a given day, when the game is going against them, the collective sense is not the “not leaving without a trophy” mentality but instead a mentality of “so what if we lose, how different will we be from any other Mayo team that came before us, life will go on” ?

Do we not criticise them enough for bad performances?

How do you criticise amateur guys that are putting in far more than most of us would every dream of?

Do we not praise them enough for success?

As I keep saying there is quandary for Mayo fans, be too positive about your team and be called a hype merchant, be too negative and be blamed for it seeping into the players’ heads.

mayo.mick wrote: »
    We could do with quizzing the 5(management) winners and see what they believe they got right.

And the 30 (management) not winners and see what they consider they did not get right.

With this much experience and information, it surely can be of use to us.

I assume some managers had some experience of both.

We could do with quizzing the 5(management) winners and see what they believe they got right.

And the 30 (management) not winners and see what they consider they did not get right.

With this much experience and information, it surely can be of use to us.

I assume some managers had some experience of both.

Good idea
    Let's start with the 2001 NFL winner, and then move on to the 2006 U-21 winner.

Oh wait......

• Advertisement

Good idea
    Let's start with the 2001 NFL winner, and then move on to the 2006 U-21 winner.

Oh wait......
    A bit unfortunate there alright;) but the theory may still have some merit .

How did they manage to lose the confidence of the senior panel though !

Its a bit of a mystery but if Mayo are not successful this year then maybe more will come out.

A bit unfortunate there alright;) but the theory may still have some merit .

How did they manage to lose the confidence of the senior panel though !

Its a bit of a mystery but if Mayo are not successful this year then maybe more will come out.

Well that's the big question.

How does a management get kicked out after bringing the team to a SF replay Agathe best team in the country in their first season.

Thus current squad can ill afford the mentality that I mentioned earlier after what went on last September.

How does a management get kicked out after bringing the team to a SF replay Agathe best team in the country in their first season.

Thus current squad can ill afford the mentality that I mentioned earlier after what went on last September.
    It will come out eventually and I hope not too soon because that will mean the team has been unsuccessful and pretty much everyone (connected with Mayo) does not want that.

Well i hope to hell it does not transcend onto the current management as I heard some of the players are not so impressed with Rochford. We don't need that crap again

If they get dumped down into Division 2, then the heat is on them. Yesterdays final is adding additional pressure as the castlebar players are to come in and after they got their asses whipped, a big reality check is facing the Mayo players.

They must beat Roscommon on Sunday week to stop this rot imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Because a very small number of players with very big egos refused to take responsibility and shoulder the blame for their own inadequate displays when games were in the melting pot. And other less vocal, young and less media friendly players felt compelled to support them. Simple as.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

washman3 wrote: »
    Because a very small number of players with very big egos refused to take responsibility and shoulder the blame for their own inadequate displays when games were in the melting pot. And other less vocal, young and less media friendly players felt compelled to support them. Simple as.!!

Exactly.
    They're now getting exactly what they deserve.
    The way those two men were treated was abominable.

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »

Unfortunately that could be the case.

Its the type of pettiness that we all thought was gone, but if what the other poster said about some players not being happy with Rochford is also true then we may as well forget about the progress that we thought was made since Horan took charge.

On a positive note.
    U21s beat Leitrim 4-12 to 0-15 today to setup a final meeting with Roscommon in two weeks time, in Hyde Park I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Back from my self imposed exile after gut wrenching disappointment of Croke Park.I thought I'd plunged the depths of despair in Croke Park in 2004 and 2006.....It really is a lonely place to be in Croke Park,looks of pity from opposing fans and on occasion a touch of mockery.A truly black day as another ball went wide.

Many valid points made in the interim,in the past I have possibly excused performances on the basis of our underdog status but I am now inclined to agree there is a mental fragility in the Mayo psyche when it comes to finals and even some semi finals.We have on numerous occasions underperformed and failed to close out games from winning positions.

On the basis of their performances this year there was every validity to the expectation that the Mitchels could beat Ballyboden St. Enda's.Yet they failed to turn up.The Dublin champions put in a very good performance but I do not believe they were as good a team as the 2014 St. Vincents team.Portlaoise and Clonmel Commercials could very easily have put them to the sword,it's the winning mentality,never say die that comes with the ongoing success with Dublin teams.

On the basis of their final performance several players have played their way out of places on the Mayo team and squad.Niall Lydon and Patrick Durkan were the sole players to take the fight to Ballyboden.

It's a very fine line constructively criticising amateur players who are possibly your neighbours/fellow county men and are very decent lads toiling thanklessly for no meaningful return and unfair contributions to a debate on how best we can get that extra percent to get us over the line.At this stage imo it's a mental block,an underemphasis on footpassing and our frailties in terms of forwards.

I'd be very disappointed to hear that some of the players are having issues with Stephen Rochford given what came to pass with the previous management.

Anyway great win for the under 21s yesterday,big test against Roscommon up next.Mixed feelings about next Sunday,after the Kerry and club final games I am half dreading the trip to the Hyde...It has been a long time since I was ill at ease hitting the road for a Mayo game,pretty sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

We desperately need a win next Sunday not just to stay up but to stop the rot in the country.
    Moral is at an all time low and a loss Sunday week with a bad run in the championship will set us back a long way.
    Iam still thinking we will win Connaught this yr prob get releged along the way but we can put up with that,I don't see the rossie being able to keep the pace.
    They are not used to it

seligehgit wrote: »

I'd be very disappointed to hear that some of the players are having issues with Stephen Rochford given what came to pass with the previous management.

I was talking to a friend that said this to me. It was news to me but I hope to hell it is not true. I did say to him that I don't believe it but he stated that's what he heard. It could be BS but who knows. A certain player was mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I was talking to a friend that said this to me. It was news to me but I hope to hell it is not true. I did say to him that I don't believe it but he stated that's what he heard. It could be BS but who knows. A certain player was mentioned.

I have heard the opposite - that the players are extremely impressed with the level of detail by Rochford and his team. No idea how reliable of valid that is though!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

Now that next sunday is coming into view are people confident that we can beat roscommon?
    After the performance of the kerry match we need a huge turnaround in attitude.
    Huge game for us and a big performance needed from our lads. going on the recent form of both teams a lot of people are going to be tipping roscommon.
    I think its 8 of the castlebar mitchells lads back in this week. Hopefully they'll be pushing the lads on a little harder in training.

RD10 wrote: »
    Now that next sunday is coming into view are people confident that we can beat roscommon?
    After the performance of the kerry match we need a huge turnaround in attitude.
    Huge game for us and a big performance needed from our lads. going on the recent form of both teams a lot of people are going to be tipping roscommon.
    I think its 8 of the castlebar mitchells lads back in this week. Hopefully they'll be pushing the lads on a little harder in training.
    Its the first crunch game of the Rockford era !

It will be interesting to see how it goes . Its time to walk the walk.

I have heard the opposite - that the players are extremely impressed with the level of detail by Rochford and his team. No idea how reliable of valid that is though!
    For sure he is detailed. Gary Sice spoke of getting improvement tips on which hand he should bounce the ball with in different situations. Thats a decent level of digging into detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

TBH all reports I've have ever heard regarding the level of detail and knowledge/expertise that Stephen Rochford possesses makes any reports of any camp unrest at such an early stage very surprising.

I'm beginning to get a bit philosophical about relegation.

I argued on the Kerry thread a few years back when they were facing it that it's not the disaster that its made out to be, if you learn something in the process.
    It may be better to continue to experiment at this stage and risk relegation.

Div 2 is a huge climb down from Div 1, Mayo would walk it next year just like Tyrone are now, and next year Mayo will need more player rotation, with the likes of Andy SOS, Higgins, Barry Moran, Cuniffe etc all a year older.
    So you could bring on lots of younger players and still likely finish top 2.

The big question is are they learning anything form the current experiments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Who's the 8 lads back from Castlebar.
    I'd say they translate to at best 3 or 4 potential starters no ?

I think division 2 would be a bad place to be BTW, I argued as much with the Donegal lads when they went down.
    I think it's great when you are on the up, but difficult when you are on the the way down.
    I don't think mayo will go down anyway. This might be the kick in the arse they need, if they avoid the drop it could be very positive.

I'd wonder about the Castlebar lads coming into the scene now, it's different coming in off the back of a win, if they are still in the dumps you'd have to be careful about bringing them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

No disrespect to the Castlebar players but they don't have 8 lads of the required standard to hold their own at the high level county football Mayo play. I'm surprised Rochford has brought that many Castlebar players in.

In regards to relegation the last two established teams to get relegated were Tyrone last year and Donegal 2013.

Tyrone didn't win Ulster but were able to recover with a favorable draw to reach in All Ireland semi final. Donegal in 2013 did worse as they failed to win Ulster final losing to Monaghan Div 3 at the time and then were well beaten in All Ireland quarter final by Mayo.

If Mayo are to be relegated and don't win a provincial title it would be harder to see Mayo recovering from those double blows but for what its worth i think Mayo will stay up on probably scoring difference and that alone would stop any rot setting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Wow, 8 players from 1 club! That's impressive for castlebar. I've heard they are available for Sunday. Really think they should be given a couple of weeks off before going into Mayo. Then again, there are so few games left before championship. Galway were in a similar position last year and you could argue that there was a failure to integrate some corofin players into the panel after their all Ireland

No disrespect to the Castlebar players but they don't have 8 lads of the required standard to hold their own at the high level county football Mayo play. I'm surprised Rochford has brought that many Castlebar players in.

In regards to relegation the last two established teams to get relegated were Tyrone last year and Donegal 2013.

Tyrone didn't win Ulster but were able to recover with a favorable draw to reach in All Ireland semi final. Donegal in 2013 did worse as they failed to win Ulster final losing to Monaghan Div 3 at the time and then were well beaten in All Ireland quarter final by Mayo.

If Mayo are to be relegated and don't win a provincial title it would be harder to see Mayo recovering from those double blows but for what its worth i think Mayo will stay up on probably scoring difference and that alone would stop any rot setting in.

The Castlebar guys return may be a mixed bag, no need for Cuniffe or Moran to get time but I'd like to see the likes of Durkan and Kirby involved.
    Who are the others of the 8 ?

On the relegation thing Mayos scoring difference is bad, -16, same as Cork, I think Monaghan's is -4, but Mayo have and Cork have yet to play Down.
    In a tie between the three would come down to scoring, a tie between 2 comes down to head to head.

Ironically Mayo could still survive even if they lose to Roscommon.
    If they beat Down, and Monaghan lose to both Kerry and Donegal, Mayo stay up on head to head.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement