Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

No disrespect to the Castlebar players but they don't have 8 lads of the required standard to hold their own at the high level county football Mayo play. I'm surprised Rochford has brought that many Castlebar players in.

In regards to relegation the last two established teams to get relegated were Tyrone last year and Donegal 2013.

Tyrone didn't win Ulster but were able to recover with a favorable draw to reach in All Ireland semi final. Donegal in 2013 did worse as they failed to win Ulster final losing to Monaghan Div 3 at the time and then were well beaten in All Ireland quarter final by Mayo.

If Mayo are to be relegated and don't win a provincial title it would be harder to see Mayo recovering from those double blows but for what its worth i think Mayo will stay up on probably scoring difference and that alone would stop any rot setting in.

Im not sure Danny kirby is county standard. I Watched him last year in the league for mayo and he dosnt really bring anything to the mayo set up. I havnt seen enough of him though so couldnt really say.
    Nor darren coen, i'm hearing reports he's been brought back in to the mayo set up? Seen him play a few matches with hollymount carramore. he misses an awful lot of scores in games and isnt too fond of getting stuck in once the ball is with the opposition. His cousin stephen is an awful hard grafter in comparison. I know they play different roles but darren seriously needs to step it up of he's to come in to the mayo set up.
    im surprised there's not more forwards coming through from the top teams such as ballintubber, crossmolina etc
    hopefully this weekend there's a big performance in us. Because we sure need it. Cant be relying on cillian for scores when he's back. God forbid he got injured during championship..who's going to step up to the plate then if we cant manage getting scores without him now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

Dublin teams tend to come racing out of the blocks when they're playing in Croke Park but the manner in which Castlebar conceded those two early goals perhaps says something more about Mayo football, that it is lacking a defensive culture - now, that doesn't mean a lack of good backs, I am instead talking about organisation and focus, teamwork essentially.

Mitchells were not as good this year as they were previously but there are still at least four county players on that team. Moran has been excellent all year and Kirby was superb against Crossmaglen.

I think Mayo are starting to develop nicely. Division 2 will do you little good. Teams in that tier generally don't challenge for All-Ireland honours. Hope Mayo stay up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Mexcanelo

Mayo are really in trouble this year. They look set for league relegation and due to the rise of Roscommon, Their Connacht title is under serious threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Mexcanelo wrote: »
    Mayo are really in trouble this year. They look set for league relegation and due to the rise of Roscommon, Their Connacht title is under serious threat.

Welcome to boards thanks for taking the time to post the above.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Post of the year :)

Welcome to boards ;)

naughto wrote: »
    Welcome to boards thanks for taking the time to post the above.
    yop wrote: »
    Post of the year :)

Welcome to boards ;)

I don't see what's wrong with the post. Mayo have 1 win out of 5 in the league, with their next game against a team that has gone to Kerry, Cork and Donegal and come back with 3 wins. 3 teams that have beaten Mayo in this campaign.

If Mayo lose on Sunday, They will be relegated, unless Monaghan lose both of their remaining home games

It feels like your cheating on us posting in here while licking the rossie holes

Its great to see Roscommon on this run of form. Hopefully they can keep it going into the games against Mayo and Dublin at home.

I think they could take the Connacht title this season, and if they can replicate their performances of the League into the Championship, Who knows what they can achieve

naughto wrote: »
    It feels like your cheating on us posting in here while licking the rossie holes

Its great to see Roscommon on this run of form. Hopefully they can keep it going into the games against Mayo and Dublin at home.

I think they could take the Connacht title this season, and if they can replicate their performances of the League into the Championship, Who knows what they can achieve

I think its very arrogant of you as a Mayo fan to suggest that Roscommon are no threat to Mayo, considering the recent form of both teams.

No arse licking at all, I'm simply making an observation base on the facts

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I think its very arrogant of you as a Mayo fan to suggest that Roscommon are no threat to Mayo, considering the recent form of both teams.

No arse licking at all, I'm simply making an observation base on the facts

Okay, so Cork topped the table last year in the league, Kerry finished just above relegation. How did the Munster and AI series end up for both of them?

Who said they were no threat......

Anyway, welcome to the Mayo forum, we love facts here ;)

• Advertisement

Okay, so Cork topped the table last year in the league, Kerry finished just above relegation. How did the Munster and AI series end up for both of them?

Your sarcastic response to my first post suggests to me that you laughed at the mere suggestion that Roscommon could beat Mayo in League or Championship, that they were no threat.

It's true, strong league form often doesn't translate to Championship success. But you have to give them credit for their results and have the humility to respect them as challengers to the Connacht Championship.

We'll see what happens on Sunday. Looking forward to a great game. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Did he not state something that's fact.
    4 losses from 5 games.
    Mayo have been a shambles this year so far, that's another fact.

Did he not state something that's fact.
    4 losses from 5 games.
    Mayo have been a shambles this year so far, that's another fact.

Thanks for your first post ever in GAA;

The farmers must be busy in the fields ;) It is the season for them though :D:D:D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Your sarcastic response to my first post suggests to me that you laughed at the mere suggestion that Roscommon could beat Mayo in League or Championship, that they were no threat.

It's true, strong league form often doesn't translate to Championship success. But you have to give them credit for their results and have the humility to respect them as challengers to the Connacht Championship.

We'll see what happens on Sunday. Looking forward to a great game. :)

There you go Yop. You lack humility. That's your problem. Sure I've been saying that for years. ;)

ProudDUB wrote: »
    There you go Yop. You lack humility. That's your problem. Sure I've been saying that for years. ;)

No, you've been saying humanity, at least get that fact right will you.

And Dublin aren't the form team either, now thats another fact, isn't it :) :P:P

Two people with facts where in trouble now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Unexpected good league form does not necessarily translate to Championship success.

Yops example of Cork over the last few years shows that.

Mayo in '07, '10 are also good examples.

So I'll not worry about Roscommon until we meet them in the Championship, assuming other results go both teams way of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Never seen Mayo in such a fluster before a league match. Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No, you've been saying humanity, at least get that fact right will you.

And Dublin aren't the form team either, now thats another fact, isn't it :) :P:P

Yop, me aul mucker, we all live on Planet Rossie right now.We mere mortals, are just glad that they let us breathe the same air as them. Fact !

Syferus wrote: »

Who exactly is in a fluster ?

Syferus wrote:

No a fluster is when Rossies implode last year and posters disappear for 4 months.
    If Rossies win fair play to them. Playing great football and will set them up for a big year.

• Advertisement

No a fluster is when Rossies implode last year and posters disappear for 4 months.
    If Rossies win fair play to them. Playing great football and will set them up for a big year.

Sad that you don't keep up enough to know I didn't disappear anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Serious amount of rain on the way over the next few days. Will the hyde sink again?

Ah now syferus after the ros sligo game last yr you where very quite.
    Didn't I meet ya at a mayo game since.

Unexpected good league form does not necessarily translate to Championship success.

Yops example of Cork over the last few years shows that.

Mayo in '07, '10 are also good examples.

So I'll not worry about Roscommon until we meet them in the Championship, assuming other results go both teams way of course.

So you're not bothered about being relegated to Division 2?

Like the Hyde, only available when the sun shines. :D:P

At this stage if Mayo win then it will be a big shock.

Like the Hyde, only available when the sun shines. :D:P

At this stage if Mayo win then it will be a big shock.

Shock of the century.

So you're not bothered about being relegated to Division 2?

Nothing in the post you quoted refers to Mayo and Div 2, so why are you asking me am I worried about it.

For my opinions on Mayo and Div 2 read a few pages back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Regarding the Mitchels lads I'd be seriously concerned with Tom Cunniffe's form,I think he'll a fight on his hand to secure a championship start with Brendan Harrison performing quite well in the league.

Not convinced by Danny Kirby,as mentioned already he was'nt overly convincing in last year's league and had a very poor day out in the All Ireland club final.TBF it was endemic on that sorry day.He's definitely worth bringing into the squad though and one can see how he develops.

Patrick Durkan must be in real contention to start on Sunday,he is potentially a real gem.

Is there even the remotest possibilty the game will be moved from the Hyde with the forecast for heavy downpours over the latter half of the week?Can't imagine it would be feasible to contemplate moving it with the crowd expected....

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Serious amount of rain on the way over the next few days. Will the hyde sink again?

Páirc Seán Mac Diarmada is ready as an alternative venue.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Regarding the Mitchels lads I'd be seriously concerned with Tom Cunniffe's form,I think he'll a fight on his hand to secure a championship start with Brendan Harrison performing quite well in the league.

Not convinced by Danny Kirby,as mentioned already he was'nt overly convincing in last year's league and had a very poor day out in the All Ireland club final.TBF it was endemic on that sorry day.He's definitely worth bringing into the squad though and one can see how he develops.

Patrick Durkan must be in real contention to start on Sunday,he is potentially a real gem.

Is there even the remotest possibilty the game will be moved from the Hyde with the forecast for heavy downpours over the latter half of the week?Can't imagine it would be feasible to contemplate moving it with the crowd expected....

Durkan and Moran are the only 2 possibilities, Cunniffe has had a poor 12 months and Danny Kirby is not there, he may yet, but not for this term.

Durkan and Moran are the only 2 possibilities, Cunniffe has had a poor 12 months and Danny Kirby is not there, he may yet, but not for this term.

It's like his turbo is gone........

Páirc Seán Mac Diarmada is ready as an alternative venue.

Not at all up to Castlebar with ye

Nothing in the post you quoted refers to Mayo and Div 2, so why are you asking me am I worried about it.

For my opinions on Mayo and Div 2 read a few pages back.

You are aware the Roscommon are playing Mayo this Sunday right?
    You are aware that a loss for Mayo means relegation, unless Monaghan lose both remaining home games right?

Keep up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Anyone hear that Cillian O'Connor is supposedly back in training? Haven't been around or online for the last few days, so only hearing about this now that I'm home.

As Yop said it's all about facts here

Syferus posts on the day of the Sligo V Roscommon game last year

And then disappears, only to turn up in the Cavan thread 3 days later, and if that was not enough he\she goes missing for a another 7 days, this time reappearing in the Mayo thread.

If that's not being very quiet I don't know what is.

PressRun wrote: »
    Anyone hear that Cillian O'Connor is supposedly back in training? Haven't been around or online for the last few days, so only hearing about this now that I'm home.

That would be great. Will take him a while to get near fitness though.

Any chance some of the U21 will get a chance? Great return from play against Leitrim.

You are aware the Roscommon are playing Mayo this Sunday right?
    You are aware that a loss for Mayo means relegation, unless Monaghan lose both remaining home games right?

Keep up!

Oh I'm keeping up alright, if you bothered to read my posts here and on other threads you would realise that.

A Monaghan win and a Mayo loss will relegate Mayo.
    A Mayo win will allow them to fight another day, as could a loss if Monaghan also lose.

But ironically two Mayo wins could still relegate them if they are in a tie breaker with 2 or more teams (Mayo have bad points difference) or if they are in a head to head with Donegal or Cork
    And in theory they could also make the playoffs.

That's a article about Limerick who have spent 7 seasons outside the 'top flight' in hurling

It bares zero relation to Mayo being relegated to Div 2 in football.

If Mayo spend 7 years in Div 2, you might have a point.

Oh and who is grandstanding about relegation by the way ?

The same people who are getting flustered ?

• Advertisement

That would be great. Will take him a while to get near fitness though.

Agreed. Have no idea if he's at a stage where he could appear for a few minutes towards the end of a match or some such, but it's great that he's starting to get back into the swing of things anyway, if it's true. Think Keith Higgins is expected back for Roscommon too (apologies if this was already mentioned a few pages back).

PressRun wrote: »
    Agreed. Have no idea if he's at a stage where he could appear for a few minutes towards the end of a match or some such, but it's great that he's starting to get back into the swing of things anyway, if it's true. Think Keith Higgins is expected back for Roscommon too (apologies if this was already mentioned a few pages back).

He is ya and DOC will be back from his sickness.
    Realistically you could see Barry Moran, Durkan, Higgins, Regan and a not sick DOC return.

Should be a good game, I don't see us getting anything out of it based on what we've seen of both teams, though so many positives from the Monaghan and Donegal games, Kerry game we left behind us and too many frees missed.

He is ya and DOC will be back from his sickness.
    Realistically you could see Barry Moran, Durkan, Higgins, Regan and a not sick DOC return.

Should be a good game, I don't see us getting anything out of it based on what we've seen of both teams, though so many positives from the Monaghan and Donegal games, Kerry game we left behind us and too many frees missed.

Ah, DOC was sick after all for the Kerry match, was he? It did seem like something wasn't right. He looked wrecked.

I'd like to see a bit more bite from them anyway, win or lose, the next day. I feel dictating the tempo could be important if they're to get anything from the match and if the rain comes, as expected, it might slow things down a bit. A day for the backs might not be the worst thing in the world for a Mayo team that aren't 100% just yet.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a tetchy enough affair too. A few cards here and there.

As Yop said it's all about facts here

Syferus posts on the day of the Sligo V Roscommon game last year

And then disappears, only to turn up in the Cavan thread 3 days later, and if that was not enough he\she goes missing for a another 7 days, this time reappearing in the Mayo thread.

If that's not being very quiet I don't know what is.

This isn't the only GAA forum on the net young lad. Probably the one I have the least interest in of the three I'd look at semi-regularly. Still better than Hogan Stand but the moderation takes the bite out of this place.

This isn't the only GAA forum on the net young lad. Probably the one I have the least interest in of the three I'd look at semi-regularly. Still better than Hogan Stand but the moderation takes the bite out of this place.

As if myself or others have time to follow you all over the internet.
    You vanished here in 2015 when Sligo beat Roscommon, plain and simple.

Oh, and please don't assume I'm young and a lad.

Ah now syferus fr tod is far from young I thought alll ye rossie beads liked facts.

• Advertisement

Ah now syferus fr tod is far from young I thought alll ye rossie beads liked facts.

seligehgit wrote: »

Based on their performance in the club final I don't think any county would be concerned with anyone on that Castlebar side adding anything to Mayo team.

Based on their performance in the club final I don't think any county would be concerned with anyone on that Castlebar side adding anything to Mayo team.

Ah now, we were going to pretend you were a serious poster, but with a statement like this basing a players ability on 1 performance, we now know we are dealing with.

Time to ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Time to ignore.

It took you until now?! Quoting him gets around the ignore function though, so hopefully people who still (for some reason) want to read his posts won't do that.

It took you until now?! Quoting him gets around the ignore function though, so hopefully people who still (for some reason) want to read his posts won't do that.

Ah no, just wanted to dangle the wool in front of the kitten for a while :) Probably a re-reg of some other lad who spends time trying to rib Mayo fans ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement