Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Mexcanelo wrote: »
    Based on their performance in the club final I don't think any county would be concerned with anyone on that Castlebar side adding anything to Mayo team.

The one positive from the Rossies rise is that the rest of the country is finally getting to see what we've had to deal with for years. I've no doubt they'll endear themselves to the rest of the island in the same way they've done here in Connacht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Rawhead wrote: »
    The one positive from the Rossies rise is that the rest of the country is finally getting to see what we've had to deal with for years. I've no doubt they'll endear themselves to the rest of the island in the same way they've done here in Connacht.

Agreed, I moved to Roscommon recently (from Mayo). First venture to the local pub it was made very clear to me how much the Rossies hate Mayo. They seem to have had a great time over the past few years watching Mayo fall at the final hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

eezipc wrote: »
    Agreed, I moved to Roscommon recently (from Mayo). First venture to the local pub it was made very clear to me how much the Rossies hate Mayo. They seem to have had a great time over the past few years watching Mayo fall at the final hurdle.

Oh Roscommon hate everybody! And seem to have a bit of an inferiority complex when it comes to Galway and Mayo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

eezipc wrote: »

I honestly don't get this mentality. I get that there's a local rivalry, but I'd always shout for other teams from Connacht if Mayo weren't playing. I was rooting for Roscommon in their matches against Kerry and Donegal and I was hoarse shouting for Galway in the hurling last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

In 2006 when Mayo beat Dublin the All Ireland semi final in Croke park the majority for Roscommon supporters that attended that game (their minors played Meath that day) cheered Mayo on and clapped the Mayo players off the field after the game. The picture some posters are trying to paint on here about Roscommon supporters is a bit ridiculous, yes Roscommon have a few bad eggs but from my experience no more than any other county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I'm a Mayo person living in Roscommon, the kids and the missus are Rossies. There is huge hatred (jealousy) for Mayo, I see it all the time, can't go near the pub when a Mayo match is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

the kids and the missus . .

do they know your boards id ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

neiphin wrote: »

Nope. They're not on boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't have a problem with Roscommon as such.
    I'd have like to see them win those couple of finals they were in recently.

But I find their current (self generated) hype rather amusing.
    Its March, they are probably in a SF spot yet they think that other counties are jealous of them.

How many of Roscommons starting 15 on Sunday are likely to be championship starters ?
    Remember the likes of Mayo, Kerry and Dublin have a lot of important guys still to come back.

What's also funny is the notion that they stole the services of McStay and McHale from under Mayo's noses.
    My own thoughts about McHales membership of a management setup I have made clear a good while back, and they have not changed, give me Buckley as a trainer any day of the week over McHale.
    And McStay also seems to be a joint manager with O'Donnell.
    Now I know we had joint managers in Mayo but that was on the request of the guys themselves, this seems to be something that has been put in place to appease someone or other.
    Did McStay really come to Roscommon with the plan of being a joint manager ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

neiphin wrote: »

wellin fairness its not a name youd go shouting around a pub when your half lit... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

McStay also seems to be a joint manager with O'Donnell.
    Now I know we had joint managers in Mayo but that was on the request of the guys themselves, this seems to be something that has been put in place to appease someone or other.
    A McStay quote back in October.

“When John Evans resigned I knew this was an opportunity because I knew that the Mayo job was not going to happen for me so I had reconciled myself to that a long time ago.
    “But I had made up my mind that if I ever did this job in Roscommon that I would have to have a very strong Roscommon voice with me and I decided a long, long time ago, even going back a few years, that if I was ever asked to do the Roscommon job then Fergal O’Donnell would have to be the man with me – and if he didn’t agree then I would not have done it.
    “It was probably a bit unfair on Fergal because it put pressure on him, but I told him that I would not do this job without him and we teased it out over a number of meetings and thankfully he agreed to join me and that’s where we are now.”

A McStay quote back in October.

“When John Evans resigned I knew this was an opportunity because I knew that the Mayo job was not going to happen for me so I had reconciled myself to that a long time ago.
    “But I had made up my mind that if I ever did this job in Roscommon that I would have to have a very strong Roscommon voice with me and I decided a long, long time ago, even going back a few years, that if I was ever asked to do the Roscommon job then Fergal O’Donnell would have to be the man with me – and if he didn’t agree then I would not have done it.
    “It was probably a bit unfair on Fergal because it put pressure on him, but I told him that I would not do this job without him and we teased it out over a number of meetings and thankfully he agreed to join me and that’s where we are now.”

That's fair enough I suppose, I was not aware of that.

seligehgit wrote: »
    I heard one name mentioned yesterday.Very disappointed with said individual if it is true that he is causing difficulties for Stephen Rochford.

Now that you have a name can you put any motives to their displeasure with Rochford ?

Is he an established player who looks set to lose his place ?
    Is he a young player that showed progress last year but is not getting as much game time as he expected ?
    Is the player influential ?
    Is the player being played our of position ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I'm a Mayo person living in Roscommon, the kids and the missus are Rossies. There is huge hatred (jealousy) for Mayo, I see it all the time, can't go near the pub when a Mayo match is on.

Then move out of the county!

Roscommon is full of Mayo and Galway people, I don't think I've ever seen a lynching yet.

Isn't it great to see two Connacht teams in Division 1 battling it out. If Galway were any good they'd be up there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

I heard one name mentioned yesterday.Very disappointed with said individual if it is true that he is causing difficulties for Stephen Rochford.

Probably AOS again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Who cares if some Roscommon supporters dont like you, its only natural. Just like in Dublin, we would have the most disdain for Tyrone I would feel, the Meath thing is gone as they are no threat to Dublin anymore.

As someone previously said, all counties have bad apples. I can remember that famous semi final very well and some Mayo supporters that day did not cover themselves in glory along with David Brady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I don't have a problem with Roscommon as such.
    I'd have like to see them win those couple of finals they were in recently.

But I find their current (self generated) hype rather amusing.
    Its March, they are probably in a SF spot yet they think that other counties are jealous of them.

How many of Roscommons starting 15 on Sunday are likely to be championship starters ?
    Remember the likes of Mayo, Kerry and Dublin have a lot of important guys still to come back.

What's also funny is the notion that they stole the services of McStay and McHale from under Mayo's noses.
    My own thoughts about McHales membership of a management setup I have made clear a good while back, and they have not changed, give me Buckley as a trainer any day of the week over McHale.
    And McStay also seems to be a joint manager with O'Donnell.

Do you see the irony in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Now that you have a name can you put any motives to their displeasure with Rochford ?

Is he an established player who looks set to lose his place ?
    Is he a young player that showed progress last year but is not getting as much game time as he expected ?
    Is the player influential ?
    Is the player being played our of position ?

TBH Father Tod I do not wish to reveal his name,I do not wish to sow discord where it may not be nor add fuel to the fire.

I truly regret having posted it.The new manager has a tough enough job as it is without people like me making it any more so trying a task.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

TBH Father Tod I do not wish to reveal his name,I do not wish to sow discord where it may not be nor add fuel to the fire.

I truly regret having posted it.The new manager has a tough enough job as it is without people like me making it any more so trying a task.

Agree on this. I've heard mention of it, might be the same player, might not. Regardless SR and his team need to deal with it. I'd say every county has issues with players and with social media and the exposure that players get its only natural for lads to get too big for their shoes.

Any idea who the ref is for Sunday? It will be a million mile an hour start I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Nonsense. There's just as much dislike going both ways. And take that from someone who's lived on the border all his life.

And not a person on either side minds where you're from a jot apart from a few weeks a year.

yop wrote: »
    Agree on this. I've heard mention of it, might be the same player, might not. Regardless SR and his team need to deal with it. I'd say every county has issues with players and with social media and the exposure that players get its only natural for lads to get too big for their shoes.

Any idea who the ref is for Sunday? It will be a million mile an hour start I'd say.

Maurice Deegan is the referee,the game is live on TG4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

yop wrote: »

If every player on a panel or or the fringes of a panel were happy then the manager probably must be doing something wrong.

People do not have to like their manager/leader but a large if not a very large number must respect the manager/leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Syferus wrote: »
    Nonsense. There's just as much dislike going both ways. And take that from someone who's lived on the border all his life.

And not a person on either side minds where you're from a jot apart from a few weeks a year.

In other words, the average length of a Roscommon championship season.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Maurice Deegan is the referee,the game is live on TG4.

Oh
    The
    Good
    Lord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

naughto wrote: »

and also mentioned
    will not count towards attendance percentages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

Rawhead wrote: »

Even by the low standards you find on the web, your posts on Roscommon are beyond pathetic.

Team out,3 changes from the Kerry game.Liking the look of it.

Robert Hennelly
    Brendan Harrison
    Ger Cafferkey
    Chris Barrett
    Lee Keegan
    Colm Boyle
    Shane Nally
    Tom Parsons
    Seamus O Shea
    Diarmuid O Connor
    Aidan O Shea
    Conor Loftus
    Evan Regan
    Jason Doherty
    Conor O Shea

Looks like the forecast is pretty poor for Sunday,it is likely to be quite a battle played at a championship intensity with all that's at stake.

Jason Doherty ff what's that about.
    Put aos in at 11 and leave him there and have runners of him

foorwwrd line doesn't inspire much confidence TBH
    is Kevin mcl injured ? his free taking was awful against kerry but he was one of our better players on the day
    Jason Doherty is lucky to hold his place too. was woeful against kerry

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    is Kevin mcl injured ? his free taking was awful against kerry but he was one of our better players on the day

He sh1ts his togs when he has to take the free's and it effects the rest of his game there after if and when he misses

He sh1ts his togs when he has to take the free's and it effects the rest of his game there after if and when he misses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Team out,3 changes from the Kerry game.Liking the look of it.

Robert Hennelly
    Brendan Harrison
    Ger Cafferkey
    Chris Barrett
    Lee Keegan
    Colm Boyle
    Shane Nally
    Tom Parsons
    Seamus O Shea
    Diarmuid O Connor
    Aidan O Shea
    Conor Loftus
    Evan Regan
    Jason Doherty
    Conor O Shea

Looks like the forecast is pretty poor for Sunday,it is likely to be quite a battle played at a championship intensity with all that's at stake.

I think its safe to say that team won't start. Two or three changes has been made before each game this year and Sunday will be no different.

It appears to be the case that Kevin McLoughlin is indeed injured.In total agreement,Jason Doherty is very lucky to be starting based on form.

I'd be expecting a few changes before match day... Will Keith Higgins start or Lee Keegan resume in the corner with Patrick Durkan coming in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

There'll definitely be changes made to that team before throw-in. I'd be willing to bet that Keith Higgins will start. I wouldn't be surprised to see them give another go to what they were trying out with him in the Donegal match before he got injured.

I can see lots of ball going into AOS, a lot of it poor, a lot of frees out for barging/overcarrying.
    Precious little else from the forwards.
    A few long range frees scored from Hennelly, and about the same amount missed.

A good defensive display, but untimely a loss by a point or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I can see lots of ball going into AOS, a lot of it poor, a lot of frees out for barging/overcarrying.
    Precious little else from the forwards.
    A few long range frees scored from Hennelly, and about the same amount missed.

A good defensive display, but untimely a loss by a point or two.

Did someone eat your easter eggs? :p

Did someone eat your easter eggs? :p

No, and I hope I'm wrong, but is that not what we have seen for the last few months ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Minor League.

Mayo 2-12.
    Galway 1-9.

That's a bit more like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Fair play to the minors. Great attitude to bounce back after that humiliation against Ros

• Advertisement

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Fair play to the minors. Great attitude to bounce back after that humiliation against Ros

Is it true that there was some form of 'disagreement' that led to a lot of the minors not playing against Roscommon? The freakish result would seem to bear that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

megadodge wrote: »
    Is it true that there was some form of 'disagreement' that led to a lot of the minors not playing against Roscommon? The freakish result would seem to bear that out.

I saw their U16 teams the last few years and they were average at best. I'm sure most teams are rotating players and I doubt Galway had their full championship side out today either.

Based on what I've seen the last few years it's Galway, Ros, Sligo and Mayo in that order. Mayo have the advantage of only having to play Leitrim to make a Connacht final though.

Syferus wrote: »
    I saw their U16 teams the last few years and they were average at best. I'm sure most teams are rotating players and I doubt Galway had their full championship side out today either.

Based on what I've seen the last few years it's Galway, Ros, Sligo and Mayo in that order. Mayo have the advantage of only having to play Leitrim to make a Connacht final though.

That's grand, but it doesn't answer my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

megadodge wrote: »
    That's grand, but it doesn't answer my question.
    A lot of Claremorris lads joined. A few lads moved off panel. Several switches.

Pitch being inspected
    Surface water in 5 spots in front of me

Freeman to start at 14 today

Pitch being inspected
    Surface water in 5 spots in front of me

Is it not a bit late for an inspection ?

Surely that should have been done hours ago, new time.

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Freeman to start at 14 today
    Interesting, have not seen him start in a good while if I'm not mistaken.

Interesting, have not seen him start in a good while if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah he was abroad for 6 months.

• Advertisement

Is it not a bit late for an inspection ?

Surely that should have been done hours ago, new time.

Ridiculous
    Instead of walking around looking at the wet spots over and over again maybe they could fork them!
    Anyway the showers have passed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement