Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

JayReale wrote: »
    Shock of the century if you were to believe the Rossie's pre-game hype. My, that pitch and stadium are a disgrace.... It's straight from the late 80s. At least they have a shiny bus in the place of a 21st century venue. Mayo should have been home and dry by half time. Some serious work to be done with the forwards.

Ros don't have an €18 million debt though on their stadium

Well deserved win in atrocious conditions. Regan finally stood up after all the injuries and looked like the championship starter that he can be. Paddy Durcan continues to look the real deal as well. We still look like we'll be a big threat once we get our best team fully fit and on to the field in decent football conditions. Just need to beat Down now and then get ready for the real stuff from June onwards.

Not sure what you can say about the whole Roscommon setup today but I'll try anyway. The Hyde is a ****ehole anyway but today was a new low. Apart from all the standing water it looked like they'd driven 50 laps through it on their bus before throw in. It was like watching that GAA Gold program showing matches from the 1970s on TG4 today.

The game should not have been played on that pitch and there should be no further inter county football played there until such time as both the pitch and spectator facilities are brought up to standard. It's not everyone else's fault they've allowed it to fall into that state and other teams shouldn't have to deal with their issues - if they want to play their own club games in that place, that's fine. They couldn't even put proper communications lines into place for radio broadcasts today.

And for all their shouting their team didn't look anything special either.

We haven't spent €18 million on our county pitch like others.
    Ros have been in the lower divisions for a decade and have played most games in Kiltoom.

The pitch is the same old clay pitch that has been there since the 1970s. Every other county ground has been relaid as a sand based pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ProudDUB wrote:
    This year, Roscommon were away to Cork, Donegal and Kerry (all counties with excellent home records) and they passed those tests with flying colours. Can't really see next years schedule being a lot less kind to them.

Exactly what I was thinking tbh, they were a little unlucky against Monaghan too, taking nothing away from monaghan in the process.

TBH Mayo should have been in a better position this year, but its a new manager so that's understandable to a degree. Mayos position in division 1 should really have nothing to do with Roscommons position.
    IMO mayo are well ahead of Down and Cork. Only Dublin, Kerry, Donegal should really be capable of beating them in div 1. Today's result was not a shock given Roscommons secure position coming into the game but mainly due to Mayos experience.
    I thinking roscommon are a coming side, but they don't have the scalps this mayo team has.

They have yet to prove that they can match a championship pace that Donegal, Kerry, Mayo and Dublin have throw Tyrone and Monaghan in there too.

I'd like to see them develop and reach their potential as Division 1 will be interesting next year, but they have yet to actually do it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Stoner wrote: »
    Exactly what I was thinking tbh, they were a little unlucky against Monaghan too, taking nothing away from monaghan in the process.

TBH Mayo should have been in a better position this year, but its a new manager so that's understandable to a degree. Mayos position in division 1 should really have nothing to do with Roscommons position.
    IMO mayo are well ahead of Down and Cork. Only Dublin, Kerry, Donegal should really be capable of beating them in div 1. Today's result was not a shock given Roscommons secure position coming into the game but mainly due to Mayos experience.
    I thinking roscommon are a coming side, but they don't have the scalps this mayo team has.

They have yet to prove that they can match a championship pace that Donegal, Kerry, Mayo and Dublin have throw Tyrone and Monaghan in there too.

I'd like to see them develop and reach their potential as Division 1 will be interesting next year, but they have yet to actually do it imo.

Agree 100%

They could do with adding a bit more physicality too. Mayo looked totally at home in all the key battle zones. Still, given the horrible conditions that didn't suit Roscommons fast paced, running game, I though their keeping it to a 4 pt margin was quite impressive. Later in the summer, the faster, harder pitches should really suit them. They won't be playing all their games in a bog. I'm really interested to see how they get on in Croker. On paper, they seem tailor made for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Agree 100%

They could do with adding a bit more physicality too. Mayo looked totally at home in all the key battle zones. Still, given the horrible conditions that didn't suit Roscommons fast paced, running game, I though their keeping it to a 4 pt margin was quite impressive. Later in the summer, the faster, harder pitches should really suit them. They won't be playing all their games in a bog. I'm really interested to see how they get on in Croker. On paper, they seem tailor made for it.

A better question is how will the Dubs get on the next day in the Hyde

Why don't you have a look at how the Dubs got on the last two times they played a game in horrible, wet conditions, and find out for yourself how they got on.

I'll give you a hint.

One of them was against Mayo in Castlebar in February. The other was a trivial little kickabout last September. Perhaps you've heard of it? I believe it's called the All Ireland Final. :D

There is little to play for Dublin the local rivalry Mayo and Roscommon enjoy won't be there. There is little recent history between the teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Am I right in thinking we are pretty much safe in div1 . Cork are in Tralee next week and with their points difference a loss means they could well be in relegation. That is if Mayo win and Monaghan beat Donegal .
    If Donegal win then Monaghan are relegated and our match against down is then irrelevant .
    If we win and Monaghan beat Donegal then we can make the play offs but a huge score of +25 points is needed. Again all assuming cork loose in Tralee.

Its possible that 4 teams could finish of 6 pts with one going to the playoffs and one being relegated.

If Cork lose and Mayo and Monaghan win Cork will be gone.

Mayo have to win by one point more than Monaghan win by to be 100% safe.

Cork and Donegal would have to lose and Mayo would have to overturn a 25 pts deficit on Donegal to get to a SF.

Mayo can still lose and stay up if Monaghan also lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Mayo will not get relegated now should ease past Down the should end up with a better scoring difference than Monaghan,Cork even if they both win.

In regards to the game of water polo in the Hyde park. Mayo were up for it like it was a championship game while Roscommon played it like a side that had already secured their Div one status. Mayo were on top throughout but one worrying stat is scoring only 1-3 from play and its worse when you consider with little of the ball or chances Roscommon scored 1-4 from play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Agree 100%

Was it that impressive? I don't really think their keeping it to a four point margin was as much to do with how well they played and more to do with the fact that Mayo dozed off, as they often do. Mayo still need to work on actually closing out a game properly and they could have won it by a lot more, but they were the architects of their own difficulties rather than Roscommon doing anything all that special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Its possible that 4 teams could finish of 6 pts with one going to the playoffs and one being relegated.

If Cork lose and Mayo and Monaghan win Cork will be gone.

Mayo have to win by one point more than Monaghan win by to be 100% safe.

Cork and Donegal would have to lose and Mayo would have to overturn a 25 pts deficit on Donegal to get to a SF.

Mayo can still lose and stay up if Monaghan also lose.

Mayo are 100% safe if they beat Down.

To reach SF, Kerry and Monaghan must win, and Mayo must win by a minimum of 13 points plus rely on points difference from elsewhere. A 13 point win for Monaghan over Donegal would be the most ideal scenario.

Mayo are 100% safe if they beat Down.

To reach SF, Kerry and Monaghan must win, and Mayo must win by a minimum of 13 points plus rely on points difference from elsewhere. A 13 point win for Monaghan over Donegal would be the most ideal scenario.

If Cork win they finish on 8 - Safe.

If Monaghan win by 2 for example they have 6 and a points diff of -10
    Since Monaghan win by 2 therefore Donegal lose by 2, leaving them with 6 and a points diff of +11
    If Mayo win by 1 then they have 6 and a points diff of -11.

When more than two teams are tied then scoring difference is the tie breaker, and with Monaghan, Donegal and Mayo all on 6, Mayo go down with worse scoring difference.

So Mayo must win by at least a point more than Monaghan to be sure to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Thoughts on the full backline?
    - Cafferkey seems main organiser
    - They still conceded a score/free to a high percentage of what was a small amount of attacks in the 70 minutes.
    I'd be going with Higgins Cafferkey Keane.
    It still doesnt look to have enough size with:
    Harrison Cafferkey Barrett or
    Higgins Cafferkey Harrison/Barrett.
    Hence why I'd play Keane in the corner to add some size.

If you take the illegal goal for 15 steps out of it, it was only a 1 point game and Mayo scored 0-3 from play.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    If you take the illegal goal for 15 steps out of it, it was only a 1 point game and Mayo scored 0-3 from play.

Good to see them convert 7 placed balls without one of the best free takers in the country on the pitch then, init?

• Advertisement

On the flipside are Claffey and his defence going to save/block all four of the other goal chances again? Unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Is the under 21 final likely to go ahead in the Hyde?Whatever about the financial setback of moving a bumper pay day game against Dublin,I can't see how that final should go ahead on a pitch that is'nt fit for purpose.It is a health and safety risk for the players.

I don't fancy a trip to Kiltoom or Ballinlough but I am hoping for a big performance from our lads.

PressRun wrote: »
    Was it that impressive? I don't really think their keeping it to a four point margin was as much to do with how well they played and more to do with the fact that Mayo dozed off, as they often do. Mayo still need to work on actually closing out a game properly and they could have won it by a lot more, but they were the architects of their own difficulties rather than Roscommon doing anything all that special.

This is a significant and recurring difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

You'll be rewriting a lot of games for illegal goals if you go down that road

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Real touch of boys and men yesterday. Mayo bossed them off the field. Good to see a solid defensive structure starting to emerge which only gave up a goal after Caff went off. 23 minutes in the first half and 18 minutes in the second before they scored, these fabled forwards must have had an off day, 1-3 from play. We were very wasteful in the first half and really should have hammered them out the gates. Cillian looks like a Sherman tank, Christ he's bulked up even more. To come on in your first game in 7 months and have the cajones to kick a free with the outside of your right boot in those conditions, he should have a small wheel barrow to carry them around...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Caf was outstanding yesterday I thought before he got hurt does anyone no what happened him?
    It's a pity doc doesn't have a left foot as he is turning in to some player he has no fear what's so ever puts he's body in places
    That he has no right to win a ball.

seligehgit wrote: »
    This is a significant and recurring difficulty.

Most definitely. You can almost pinpoint the exact moment it's going to happen in any given match too. They really need to learn how to be more ruthless once they go ahead.

Rawhead wrote: »
    Real touch of boys and men yesterday. Mayo bossed them off the field. Good to see a solid defensive structure starting to emerge which only gave up a goal after Caff went off. 23 minutes in the first half and 18 minutes in the second before they scored, these fabled forwards must have had an off day, 1-3 from play. We were very wasteful in the first half and really should have hammered them out the gates. Cillian looks like a Sherman tank, Christ he's bulked up even more. To come on in your first game in 7 months and have the cajones to kick a free with the outside of your right boot in those conditions, he should have a small wheel barrow to carry them around...
    Looking at his build I would say plan now is for Cillian to stay inside. He must be well over 14 stone. I like the idea of Regan and Cillian playing really wide. Then Freeman coming out to 30 and adjusting his position based on the play.
    Freeman was opening up space for Diarmuid till someone from team ran towards Diarmuids line. Bringing his marker with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

This year, Roscommon were away to Cork, Donegal and Kerry (all counties with excellent home records) and they passed those tests with flying colours. Can't really see next years schedule being a lot less kind to them.

Disagree - they only had three away games and got to play them all early enough on that their opponents weren't up to full speed. As soon as they met a team coming at a game with anything approaching championship intensity they fell flat. In hindsight they'll have learned as little from those Kerry and Cork games as they would have from challenge matches against those teams.

It's really only going to be yesterday's game, next weekends one and their playoff game(s) that they'll be able to gain much from in this league. It's highly unlikely the fixture list will be as kind next year.

Disagree - they only had three away games and got to play them all early enough on that their opponents weren't up to full speed

That's a fair point, I've made similar arguments about Cork getting the early wins in during recent league outings and how it didn't work out that way for them this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Well deserved win in atrocious conditions. Regan finally stood up after all the injuries and looked like the championship starter that he can be. Paddy Durcan continues to look the real deal as well. We still look like we'll be a big threat once we get our best team fully fit and on to the field in decent football conditions. Just need to beat Down now and then get ready for the real stuff from June onwards.

Not sure what you can say about the whole Roscommon setup today but I'll try anyway. The Hyde is a ****ehole anyway but today was a new low. Apart from all the standing water it looked like they'd driven 50 laps through it on their bus before throw in. It was like watching that GAA Gold program showing matches from the 1970s on TG4 today.

The game should not have been played on that pitch and there should be no further inter county football played there until such time as both the pitch and spectator facilities are brought up to standard. It's not everyone else's fault they've allowed it to fall into that state and other teams shouldn't have to deal with their issues - if they want to play their own club games in that place, that's fine. They couldn't even put proper communications lines into place for radio broadcasts today.

And for all their shouting their team didn't look anything special either.

MAY_1498.jpg

That's a great image, remember seeing it on the TV and just laughing at the state of the place.

U 21 final will certainly be moved so that the Dublin game can proceed.

PressRun wrote: »

Yeah, I do think it is impressive. You have to take both teams on their respective merits. One of Roscommons is that they are ready willing and able to go flat out for the full 70 minutes. Mayo have a habit of switching off for long periods of games. I did think that Roscommon came out looking a big flat yesterday. Whether it was the occasion, the pitch, Mayo's physicality, their lack of a midfield, or Mayo bringing championship intensity from the very get go, they seemed a bit taken aback by how the game started. But given what we have seen from them so far, I think yesterdays 'deer in the headlights' start was the exception and not the rule. Coming out a 4 pt loser, was impressive given what they faced. They will have learned a lot from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

mayo.mick wrote: »
    MAY_1498.jpg

Obviously too much to expect standing water three yards from the sideline to be squeegeed away.

Totally unacceptable.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Obviously too much to expect standing water three yards from the sideline to be squeegeed away.

Totally unacceptable.

3/4's of the pitch was like that;

MAY_1186.jpg

MAY_1175.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Disagree - they only had three away games and got to play them all early enough on that their opponents weren't up to full speed. As soon as they met a team coming at a game with anything approaching championship intensity they fell flat. In hindsight they'll have learned as little from those Kerry and Cork games as they would have from challenge matches against those teams.

It's really only going to be yesterday's game, next weekends one and their playoff game(s) that they'll be able to gain much from in this league. It's highly unlikely the fixture list will be as kind next year.

Overall I'd agree but Cork's recent record in the last few years suggest that their league form is better than their championship speed given the only teams they've beaten in the championship in the last 2 years are Clare, Tipperary and Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I think yesterday was a nice reminder of who the big dogs in Connaught are. For all the talk of Roscommon missing players, Mayo had no Keith Higgins or Cillian O'Connor (for most of the game), Barry Moran too, Kevin McLoughlin.

I suspect that Mayo team that played only had 9-10th at most of the championship 15, and still should have won by 12-15 if the shooting boots were in.

That's a great image, remember seeing it on the TV and just laughing at the state of the place.

U 21 final will certainly be moved so that the Dublin game can proceed.

They could always concede home advantage and save us a trip.:D Hopefully Diarmuid O Connor will be fit to line out,any news re Ger Caff?Things certainly did go pear shaped when he went off and Diarmuid Murtagh's introduction...

Damn it,set my box to record the game.Wrong day,is the game up on the TG4 player??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

They could always concede home advantage and save us a trip.:D Hopefully Diarmuid O Connor will be fit to line out,any news re Ger Caff?Things certainly did go pear shaped when he went off and Diarmuid Murtagh's introduction...

Damn it,set my box to record the game.Wrong day,is the game up on the TG4 player??

It's on the Player now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

As a neutral i think some perspective needs to be given for a post like this.

Game 1 was v Monaghan in Kiltoom. It was live on TG4 and was high intensity match played in difficult weather conditions. Roscommon lost that game with a goalkeeping error in injury time. McStay has gone on record since to say that game was proof that Roscommon could compete in Div one.

Game 2 was v Kerry in Killarney. Again this game was live on TG4 another high intensity game played in diffcult weather conditions. Roscommon pulled off the win even though they were a point down at half time having played with the wind.

Game 3 was v Cork in Cork. Didn't see any of this game but it was the stand out result in this years league and the same Cork side beat Mayo pulling up in round 1.

Game 4 was v Down which was played away from home in Longford. I only seen extended highlights of this game but by all accounts Down played 14 men back in this game

Game 5 was v Donegal in Letterkenny the rossies i believe caught Donegal off guard by playing this game on the front foot and i should point out in game 3 Donegal beat Mayo

What was learnt yesterday was Mayo looking to avoid relegation compared to Roscommon already into the league semi final took the game far more serious matter of fact Mayo treated the game yesterday like a championship game with 13 players that featured in the All Ireland semi final last summer.

In summary Div one is a dog eat dog division there is no "kind" fixture list and Roscommon on their return to div one for the first time in 13 year have learned plenty and done incredibly well.

It was the groin for Caff. Could see Kevin Keane getting a go the next day.

It's not very neighbourly to be so critical of Roscommon's lack of a decent pitch and our difficulties with this.

I always thought the GAA was a community organisation.

The pitch in kiltoom was more than adequate for games in Division 2, 3 and 4.
    If ye are down there in the future your perspective on that might change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I think yesterday was a nice reminder of who the big dogs in Connaught are. For all the talk of Roscommon missing players, Mayo had no Keith Higgins or Cillian O'Connor (for most of the game), Barry Moran too, Kevin McLoughlin.

I suspect that Mayo team that played only had 9-10th at most of the championship 15, and still should have won by 12-15 if the shooting boots were in.

Last Roscommon v Mayo meeting in Hyde park was two years ago in the Connacht championship. It was a game that went to wire and the winner wasnt known until the final whistle.

Here in the teams that lined out that day.

R Hennelly; T Cunniffe, G Cafferkey, K Higgins; L Keegan, C Boyle, D Vaughan; A O'Shea, S O'Shea; D O'Connor, C O'Shea, J Doherty; K McLoughlin, A Freeman, C O'Connor.

Roscommon
    D O'Malley; N Collins, N Carty, S McDermott; I Kilbride, N Daly, C Cafferkey, C Shine, K Higgins; D O'Gara, D Shine, R Stack; S Kilbride, C Cregg, C Murtagh

In bold started yesterday, C O Connor came off the bench while only those in bold played for Roscommon.

It's not very neighbourly to be so critical of Roscommon's lack of a decent pitch and our difficulties with this.

Christ boys and girls ye are very sensitive.

Will ye get over yourselves.

You are a laughing stock fair enough, a big shiny bus but a dump of a ground, blowing hot air last year and getting dumped out by lesser teams not once but twice.

But all we are doing is laughing at ye, noting more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

You are a laughing stock fair enough, a big shiny bus but a dump of a ground, blowing hot air last year and getting dumped out by lesser teams not once but twice.

Yeah, because if we didn't lease out a bus, we'd have enough money for a new ground!!

Brilliant analysis!

You see, if you were actually involved in the running of a club or development of facilities you would never demean or ridicule another club or county and their lack of facilities.

because you never know when you might need them to help you out in other ways.

I've never known a GAA club to kick another one when they are down or embarrassed about something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

This is turning in to a Roscommon thread . Can we focus on next week and then the championship .
    For one I'm delighted for Roscommon and the fact now we have 3 teams in the top 10. Making Connaught titles very competitive .
    As for the league we wanted survival and hopefully that will come next weekend .

Unfortunately we haven't added significantly to the panel apart from Durcan and hopefully Regan will bed in some more .
    Overall we are where we thought we would be given the injuries and club commitments . I only hope that there is a stronger emphasis on goals as we were one of the poorest goal scoring teams whilst we focuses far too much on defensive work . We have great running half backs and there was little of that seen this league .

mayo.mick wrote: »
    3/4's of the pitch was like that;

MAY_1186.jpg

MAY_1175.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

The slagging is kind of ironic given Mayo's own situation. An obscene amount of money paid for a stadium which they're unable to pay back. And for all that money? A 1960's style stand with poles blocking spectators views, while the concrete "benches" elsewhere remain, which are a health and safety concern in themselves. The majority of counties outside Dublin have some sort of stadium issues, not least my own.

megadodge wrote: »
    Yeah, because if we didn't lease out a bus, we'd have enough money for a new ground!!

Brilliant analysis!

Ye would have a bit more money to get the gardening right.

• Advertisement

This is turning in to a Roscommon thread . Can we focus on next week and then the championship .
    For one I'm delighted for Roscommon and the fact now we have 3 teams in the top 10. Making Connaught titles very competitive .
    As for the league we wanted survival and hopefully that will come next weekend .

Unfortunately we haven't added significantly to the panel apart from Durcan and hopefully Regan will bed in some more .
    Overall we are where we thought we would be given the injuries and club commitments . I only hope that there is a stronger emphasis on goals as we were one of the poorest goal scoring teams whilst we focuses far too much on defensive work . We have great running half backs and there was little of that seen this league .

TBF I think Stephen Rochford has placed an emphasis on making us a defensively a more secure unit.We have a past history of leaking crucial goals.I think he has achieved quite an amount success in this regard.

Without doubt though this success has come at a cost to our offensive play.The all out attack,marauding half backs I believe are a thing of the past.It brought us so far but not over the line.We have relied on the attacking abilities of same to paint over the cracks in our forward line.But as I see it Stephen Rochford is looking for a more measured approach to our attacking,for which he is to be commended.

Patrick Durkan is hopefully going to be a massive addition to the team.

If Evan Regan can continue to develop his potential alongside a fit Cillian O Connor and the class act that is Diarmuid there is much room for optimism.Conor O Shea is another man who's not afraid to take a shot on.It's amazing the physique Cillian has now,he really has bulked up now.

Absolutely admirable the pick ups by Diarmuid and Evan with their foot whilst on the run with the terrible surface,wonderful skill.Both these lads have a quality that we've lacked,a directness in terms of taking on their opponents at pace.A dry surface in the heat of the championship will do wonders.

I think the focus on improving the defensive strategy has allowed Ger Cafferky to come back into his own more recently. I often heard him getting a bit of a hard time from Mayo supporters during the Horan era, but, to be fair, I don't think Horan's preferred style of play always suited him. While it was exciting to watch Leeroy and Colm Boyle charging up the pitch, it often left players like Cafferky without any support and then he (and others) would get the blame when the **** hit the fan, defensively.

The other issue with the attacking half backs was extra time or replays or last 10 mins of games. It is too energy sapping.
    With this style also we didnt develop as much our footpass counter attack or at least getting the ball quicker past the opposition 45.
    Freeman and Cillian in form will be key to improving our scoring returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Fair enough but we still need half backs in our attacking formation .
    Dublin are still doing it and can afford to do it with their bench .
    They used to be the team that " I'll still score more than you " over the past 2 seasons they have proved that they can close out games defensively.
    Ironically enough the only times that didn't happen was against Mayo in the drawn game . In that game we were the ones who threw everything at them and it almost paid off .

We probably need both but who and what times during the match will determine our hope of success

Ye would have a bit more money to get the gardening right.

Bus hasn't cost the county board a cent

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement