Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Gally05

any day the Rossies are beaten , in anything, is a great day ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Tom Cunniffe opting out of the panel for 2016 to go travelling apparently. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭naughto

It might be the best thing he ever did come back fresh for next yr.what age would he be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Gally05

i think he'd struggle to make it into the 15 this year ?
    where would you play in and instead who ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,469 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

U21 Final moved to Sligo

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0329/778061-hyde-park/
    The situation is made a little clearer by the Connacht Council's decision on Tuesday to move Saturday's provincial Under-21 final from Hyde Park to Markievicz Park in Sligo, where they action will get underway at 6.0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,802 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Moving it out of the county appears to be a slap on the wrists for the state of the pitch on Sunday.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Moving it out of the county appears to be a slap on the wrists for the state of the pitch on Sunday.

Yea, you would think it would be moved to Kiltoom rather than Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

seligehgit wrote: »
    TBF I think Stephen Rochford has placed an emphasis on making us a defensively a more secure unit.We have a past history of leaking crucial goals.I think he has achieved quite an amount success in this regard.

Yes, this was noticeable yesterday.

However a lot of the great work that the backs did was squandered when the ball was transferred to midfield. Aiden O'Shea consistently takes too much out of the ball. Is he perhaps a liability at midfield? Of the Breaffy contingent Seamus O'Shea is perhaps the most effective footballer in that squad.

When you watch how Kerry dismantled Monaghan or Dublin's second half performances you can see a clear gap in performance levels. That's probably the next level that Rochford needs to get this team to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

PressRun wrote: »
    I think the focus on improving the defensive strategy has allowed Ger Cafferky to come back into his own more recently. I often heard him getting a bit of a hard time from Mayo supporters during the Horan era, but, to be fair, I don't think Horan's preferred style of play always suited him. While it was exciting to watch Leeroy and Colm Boyle charging up the pitch, it often left players like Cafferky without any support and then he (and others) would get the blame when the **** hit the fan, defensively.

One hundred percent agree,the Horan philosophy tended towards a gungho attacking mindset which oftentimes left our full back line and Ger Cafferkey very vulnerable.Mindful of that I thought at times he struggled on certain quality forwards..Bernard Brogan and Mr. Donaghy come to mind but oftentimes it was all about the quality of ball delivery and a failure to impose himself physically.Thus far in the league he seems to have got his confidence back and has played well given the setbacks we've had.

Hoping Tom Cunniffe has a well earned break to recharge his turbo.I'd imagine it's a battle between Brendan Harrison and Kevin Keane for his spot with advantage Harrison.

The we'll outscore you attacking philosophy did mean we ran out of gas late in games and ET and we did'nt have the bench quality that the likes of the Dubs have.Bit of a conundrum as it was same all out attack that brought us back into the initial semi final game last year..It just does'nt seem to sustainable for seventy minutes.It is a real balancing act and it appears to be the case that Stephen Rochford is trying to implement a system for same to even out the energy levels the lads expend over the course of the game.An effective defensive setup hopefully will ensure we don't fail to close out games when we hit the front,maintaining concentration levels is another vital cog in the wheel.The sweeper system has been tested out with relative success in the league on a few occasions...Shane Nally against Dublin.In past times we deployed Keith Higgins in a relatively meaningless role against Cork last year.Barry Moran's role against Donegal last year was the sole time I can remember a positive outcome without any meaningful roadtesting.Now is the time to be experimenting.

It's great the under 21 game has been moved to Sligo,I wonder if Diarmuid O Connor will sit out the Down game out to play if he's fit and play on Saturday.Lots at stake next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Green Tae wrote: »
    Yes, this was noticeable yesterday.

However a lot of the great work that the backs did was squandered when the ball was transferred to midfield. Aiden O'Shea consistently takes too much out of the ball. Is he perhaps a liability at midfield? Of the Breaffy contingent Seamus O'Shea is perhaps the most effective footballer in that squad.

When you watch how Kerry dismantled Monaghan or Dublin's second half performances you can see a clear gap in performance levels. That's probably the next level that Rochford needs to get this team to.

Yes we've quite a bit to go to close that gap.Kerry were very impressive against ourselves in the second half and equally so against Monaghan.We know all about the Dublin performance levels at this stage.But McCaffrey and O Carroll's absences should'nt be underestimated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I'm hearing Cunniffe has left the panel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Gone travelling for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

From what I've seen of him recently, definitely off inter county pace at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

I see today that Tom Cuniffe has given up football for this yer and going travelling. I wonder is this the breakup that was eluded to in previous posts? In either case its a pity to see him go... since werr gunna win sam this year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

padd b1975 wrote: »

It was our own choice. It had informally been decided even before throw in on Sunday. Too much money at stake for the Dublin game to not give it every chance of being played at home.

Lol at the idea idea, though. Kiltoom too small to host it. It was Tuam or Sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,802 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Syferus wrote: »
    It was our own choice. It had informally been decided even before throw in on Sunday. Too much money at stake for the Dublin game to not give it every chance of being played at home.

Lol at the idea idea, though. Kiltoom too small to host it. It was Tuam or Sligo.
    Fair enough.

Strange decision though, as a Mayo man, I'll take Sligo all day long, not nearly as intimate or atmospheric as Kiltoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Slogger24

If it rains at all this week .Ye wont be playing in the Hyde this weekend!! It'll take it another month to repair after sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,266 ✭✭✭✭km79

Slogger24 wrote: »
    If it rains at all this week .Ye wont be playing in the Hyde this weekend!! It'll take it another month to repair after sunday

heavy rain / flooding promised Friday/ Saturday
    no chance it will go ahead there

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Slogger24

km79 wrote: »
    heavy rain / flooding promised Friday/ Saturday
    no chance it will go ahead there

if croker is available, good chance it might be played there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Jesus. The Rossies will riot if it's moved to Croker. :eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ProudDUB wrote: »

It will be a warm up for the 2016 AI final, 2 form teams, just saying.

Hyde won't be ready unless there is a major improvement in the weather. Players safety has to be the key and if its as bad as last weekend then they will need to change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

What about the town of Roscommon being completely booked out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Carrick is where it will be if the Hyde is unplayable. Contingency already in place. Why are we discussing this in a god damn Mayo thread.

Carrick is where it will be if the Hyde is unplayable. Contingency already in place. Why are we discussing this in a god damn Mayo thread.

The Rossie bus goes where ever it wants Syf & no road block can ever stop it. Not even a Mayo one. You should know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Syferus wrote:
    Why are we discussing this in a god damn Mayo thread.

We tried but the Roscommon thread is flooded,

• Advertisement

Badum Tish ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

It's funny seeing the Mayo fans having a go at Roscommon, a team who have vastly improved this season and who have also performed better than Mayo this season.
    Their recent loss against Mayo was by no means embarrassing, say like Mayo's loss to Dublin in last year's semi, or the trouncing against Dublin in Castlebar last year.....

Says a lot about one of the so-called top teams in the country when beating Roscommon is being celebrated almost like an all-Ireland victory, though let's face it, it probably will be the high-point of Mayo's season this year.

It's funny seeing the Mayo fans having a go at Roscommon, a team who have vastly improved this season and who have also performed better than Mayo this season.
    Their recent loss against Mayo was by no means embarrassing, say like Mayo's loss to Dublin in last year's semi, or the trouncing against Dublin in Castlebar last year.....

Says a lot about one of the so-called top teams in the country when beating Roscommon is being celebrated almost like an all-Ireland victory, though let's face it, it probably will be the high-point of Mayo's season this year.

Not sure how much of a go we are having at Roscommon, more at the state of their infrastructure than anything else.

Most Mayo fans are happy for the win that hopefully kepps us up.

And any having a go at Roscommon is all in context too.

They are the unexpected form team of the spring and a number of their fan base were relishing the idea that they could relegate Mayo, which was impossible by themselves as was pointed out to them.

And as others have pointed out a good spring does not always guarantee a god summer.

And as I posted earlier they seem to think they pulled off a coup by acquiring the likes of McStay and McHale.

So overall a win away to Roscommon, dominant throughout the game, is always one to enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

To be fair . This thread is turning to a rubbish thread with all the crap and tit for tat that's being posted .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You've 4 posts in GAA, all in the Mayo forum and all looking like a Mayo man pulled your bra strap and made you cry.

Looking at your support of that troll Mexacanlo I'm guessing we're dealing with the same.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99146946&postcount=1862

Facts, as you like to be so anal with, Roscommon expected to win that game sunday, go look at the statements like "We've waited 3 years for this", they expected to relegate Mayo and have played great football but last Sunday didn't turn up.

And no it won't be the high point of the Mayo season, I won't even explain as I can see its pointless.

Now go fix that bra.

• Advertisement

To be fair . This thread is turning to a rubbish thread with all the crap and tit for tat that's being posted .

Agreed, time to close the flood gates now on the Roscommon game, we seem to have attracted a lot of Roscommon fans over here all of a sudden.

Will we see B Moran and Durkan start now this weekend? Vaughan can't hold onto his place I'd be thinking.
    With COC on the bench again, no point chancing it with him in that Down game.

I'd like to see Paddy Durcan starting. I thought he did well when he came on, slotted into his role very easily.

I'd like to see Paddy Durcan starting. I thought he did well when he came on, slotted into his role very easily.

Ah ya, he has better legs than Vaughan at this stage. The year is long so having a bench of Dillion, Moran (A and Barry), Vaughan alone would be a strong impact bench.

yop wrote: »

Pity that no one spotted that Mayo and Monaghan are -12 not +12

It hard for someone to understand the permutations when such a fundamental error is present.

Pity that no one spotted that Mayo and Monaghan are -12 not +12

It hard for someone to understand the permutations when such a fundamental error is present.

Bloody hell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Bloody hell!

This looks more like a typo than anything as the analysis is still sound and it accounts correctly for the -12 scoring difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

You've 4 posts in GAA, all in the Mayo forum and all looking like a Mayo man pulled your bra strap and made you cry.

Looking at your support of that troll Mexacanlo I'm guessing we're dealing with the same.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99146946&postcount=1862

Facts, as you like to be so anal with, Roscommon expected to win that game sunday, go look at the statements like "We've waited 3 years for this", they expected to relegate Mayo and have played great football but last Sunday didn't turn up.

And no it won't be the high point of the Mayo season, I won't even explain as I can see its pointless.

Now go fix that bra.

God, touched a nerve have I?

Any truth that Mort has being asked back to the panel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Looks like Cafferkey is out for Sunday. Hamstring strain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭eastmayo

finisklin wrote: »
    Looks like Cafferkey is out for Sunday. Hamstring strain.

Kevin Keane will probably slot in there at full back.a shame as caff is flying this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭eastmayo

naughto wrote: »

It's doing the rounds this eve.but I doubt it.

eastmayo wrote: »
    It's doing the rounds this eve.but I doubt it.

I think it would be a step backwards if true

naughto wrote: »

I would be very disappointed if it's true. His time has come and gone, we need to give new players a proper chance. Not to mention Mortimer has a serious ego that I wouldn't love to see coming back into the fold.

Look at your calendars lads & lassies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,266 ✭✭✭✭km79

Look at your calendars lads & lassies.

That was my first thought
    But I think it may actually be true !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I would be very disappointed if it's true. His time has come and gone, we need to give new players a proper chance. Not to mention Mortimer has a serious ego that I wouldn't love to see coming back into the fold.

Tony McEntee trains the Dublin based players during the week, could be fair to say he might see a bit of Mort playing for Parnells while living up in Dublin. He commented after the Roscommon match that we have been lacking a free taker during the league and its cost us.

That's the only way I could see Mort coming back, as an extra player who is able to kick a pressure free.

Intriguing if it is true.

What sort of shape is he in, is he playing much club football ?

We know we lack forwards, and our half backs are staying back, so......

Tony McEntee trains the Dublin based players during the week, could be fair to say he might see a bit of Mort playing for Parnells while living up in Dublin. He commented after the Roscommon match that we have been lacking a free taker during the league and its cost us.

That's the only way I could see Mort coming back, as an extra player who is able to kick a pressure free.

But with Cillian coming back and Alan Freeman and Evan Regan capable of taking a free, I'm unsure why he should be brought back rather than letting those guys make their mark. I'd have reservations about his attitude too, as I said. There's a reason Horan didn't go running after him last time.

• Advertisement

What is the origin of these rumours by the way ?

Just that McEntee is based in Dublin and so is Mortimer ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement