Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Good to see Conoreen making a comeback. It's not like Mayo are flooded with inside forwards now is it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Lads, hes back, he is just after tweeting..

''Resurrection''

Syferus wrote: »
    Good to see Conoreen making a comeback. It's not like Mayo are flooded with inside forwards now is it.

Wouldn't ye have loved to have had a forward as good as him in the last decade, ye might have managed more than 1 Connaught title

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

Doubt these rumours are true. He's well past it and Jesus christ james horan got shut of him for good reason. I'd actually be sick if he was asked to come back. Never was a team player and as said previously has an ego the size of alabama.
    A big step backwards if that were to happen.

RD10 wrote: »
    Doubt these rumours are true. He's well past it and Jesus christ james horan got shut of him for good reason. I'd actually be sick if he was asked to come back. Never was a team player and as said previously has an ego the size of alabama.
    A big step backwards if that were to happen.

Just out of curiousity? When have you watched him recently? If Tony McEntee is up in Dublin and sees Parnells games and deems him good enough.. then thats enough for me.

• Advertisement

But as I said earlier, its surely out of free taking worries that a move like this would be made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Where is the source for this other than a one word tweet from that Muppet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

We don't need that lad back. If this is true Rochford is a complete and utter gob to let a lad like this back. He has never deliver on the big day and he is not going to do it now.
    We don't need a guy like him. A big step back if this happens. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Where is the source for this other than a one word tweet from that Muppet?

conor_zpsid53k9um.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Wouldn't ye have loved to have had a forward as good as him in the last decade, ye might have managed more than 1 Connaught title

Indeed, there mightn't have been as many 15 point hammerings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Going to go with April's fools on Friday no one wants this dope back

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Maybe he meant to send the tweet on Sunday to celebrated the resurrection of our lord and saviour Jesus Christ but forgot to send it.

If it is true that Mort is going to be with the panel, I wouldn't be against it as long as Evan Regan doesn't get shafted because of it. But if Conor is good enough to be on the panel then he's good enough to be on the panel. I haven't seen him play in years so I cant have an opinion on that (I suspect that is the position of most of the Mayo fans posting here considering Conor is playing his football in Dublin for 4 years now).

If he is good enough to be on the panel, and Rochford and co deem him to be then why not (it would actually be a bit ridiculous to leave a player out of the panel if he is good enough)? I dont think anybody for a second is considering he could be a starter but by all accounts he was a very popular player in the dressing room before he departed and I don't think he would rock the boat in that sense.

I don't get the people saying a player is past it when they actually don't know if its true or not. Is Conor a fcuking eejit at the best of times? Yes. Is he a bit eccentric? Yes. Has he made mistakes in the past? Yes. But this is football and its about the skill of the player above all, if management think he may still be good enough to put the ball over the bar for Mayo then bring him into a few training sessions and lets see.

Its amazing how people forget how good of a footballer he was and what he did for this county, owes Mayo nothing. I'm quite happy to follow the decision that Rochford makes on this situation. If there even is a situation!

naughto wrote: »
    Going to go with April's fools on Friday no one wants this dope back

We really let ourselves down in Mayo sometimes....

He's an ex-player that played for Mayo with a mangled cruciate for years refusing to be operated on til 2012 because he didnt want to miss a year.

To call any Mayo footballer a dope is unacceptable in my eyes, they all have the same dream as us supporters, they have tried to act upon it while we talk about it.

A bit of respect for an amateur who played a lot of ball for Mayo wouldn't go a miss IMO. I really do find it sad that because someone is a ''different'' kind of character to what is the norm in the GAA that its acceptable to be cast aside like that despite achieving a lot on the field for the county, actually doing it for the likes of you.

If it is true that Mort is going to be with the panel, I wouldn't be against it as long as Evan Regan doesn't get shafted because of it. But if Conor is good enough to be on the panel then he's good enough to be on the panel. I haven't seen him play in years so I cant have an opinion on that (I suspect that is the position of most of the Mayo fans posting here considering Conor is playing his football in Dublin for 4 years now).

If he is good enough to be on the panel, and Rochford and co deem him to be then why not (it would actually be a bit ridiculous to leave a player out of the panel if he is good enough)? I dont think anybody for a second is considering he could be a starter but by all accounts he was a very popular player in the dressing room before he departed and I don't think he would rock the boat in that sense.

I don't get the people saying a player is past it when they actually don't know if its true or not. Is Conor a fcuking eejit at the best of times? Yes. Is he a bit eccentric? Yes. Has he made mistakes in the past? Yes. But this is football and its about the skill of the player above all, if management think he may still be good enough to put the ball over the bar for Mayo then bring him into a few training sessions and lets see.

Its amazing how people forget how good of a footballer he was and what he did for this county, owes Mayo nothing. I'm quite happy to follow the decision that Rochford makes on this situation. If there even is a situation!
    He walked out on mayo when he couldn't make the 1st 15 he had his chance then there's the ego lord god it's not big enough for any dressing room and finally the book the less said about that the better

He's an ex-player that played for Mayo with a mangled cruciate for years refusing to be operated on til 2012 because he didnt want to miss a year.

To call any Mayo footballer a dope is unacceptable in my eyes, they all have the same dream as us supporters, they have tried to act upon it while we talk about it.

A bit of respect for an amateur who played a lot of ball for Mayo wouldn't go a miss IMO. I really do find it sad that because someone is a ''different'' kind of character to what is the norm in the GAA that its acceptable to be cast aside like that despite achieving a lot on the field for the county, actually doing it for the likes of you.

Welcome to boards Mort I see you have taking spelling lessons in the 4 yrs good lad

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

Just out of curiousity? When have you watched him recently? If Tony McEntee is up in Dublin and sees Parnells games and deems him good enough.. then thats enough for me.

I haven't seen him play recently and i don't think i need to. He'll always be the same player he was 10 yrs ago.
    To bring him in because of his free taking ability alone does not warrant a place on the team imo.
    Compare him to the likes of cillian who can hit frees with his eyes closed and is able to win his own dirty ball....
    i know who i'd pick every time.
    mortimer was always a selfish player. We don't need that. We need team players. No time for that fella whatsoever.
    All this talk of him coming back is bull anyway....this mayo team are nothing like anything hes ever played with. He'd never make the cut now.

Welcome to boards Mort I see you have taking spelling lessons in the 4 yrs good lad

I dont think it was unreasonable to point out that maybe we should have a bit more respect for amateurs that put their lives on hold for over a decade to chase the dream that the likes of us all have but aren't talented enough to chase ourselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

That's the only way I could see Mort coming back, as an extra player who is able to kick a pressure free.

Funny this should come up this week. Just after Mort left we had a game in Hyde and there was a serious problem scoring points that day, even from the 13m line in front of the goal.

• Advertisement

RD10 wrote: »
    I haven't seen him play recently and i don't think i need to. He'll always be the same player he was 10 yrs ago.
    To bring him in because of his free taking ability alone does not warrant a place on the team imo.
    Compare him to the likes of cillian who can hit frees with his eyes closed and is able to win his own dirty ball....
    i know who i'd pick every time.
    mortimer was always a selfish player. We don't need that. We need team players. No time for that fella whatsoever.
    All this talk of him coming back is bull anyway....this mayo team are nothing like anything hes ever played with. He'd never make the cut now.

Yeah I was just speculating that maybe it was free-taking that could have caused Conor to come to mind, as McEntee really criticised our free taking over the campaign so far after the Roscommon game.

McEntee was actually fairly critical of the performance against Roscommon, his comments were very interesting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Mod: Can I remind ye that personal abuse of players is not permitted. Cards will be handed out if it continues. You can let your feelings about certain players be known without resorting to childish insults.

“One of the crucial factors in not seeing the results so far has clearly been the lack of a confident and reliable free-taker. A Division One team who don’t have somebody reliable on the field as a freetaker is not going to win many games.

That was actually what McEntee said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Yeah I was just speculating that maybe it was free-taking that could have caused Conor to come to mind, as McEntee really criticised our free taking over the campaign so far after the Roscommon game.

McEntee was actually fairly critical of the performance against Roscommon, his comments were very interesting.

Any link to his comments?

I dont think it was unreasonable to point out that maybe we should have a bit more respect for amateurs that put their lives on hold for over a decade to chase the dream that the likes of us all have but aren't talented enough to chase ourselves

Where was the respect when he walked and then there was the realising the statement craic
    You would swear he was something with the way you talk about him.he used to go missing when he was needed he could not stand up and be counted on.
    As a poster about said he would not make the cut for this team on the bench or anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Very interesting thoughts alright. He doesn't hold back!

Where was the respect when he walked and then there was the realising the statement craic
    You would swear he was something with the way you talk about him.he used to go missing when he was needed he could not stand up and be counted on.
    As a poster about said he would not make the cut for this team on the bench or anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

While I wouldn't condone calling someone a dope, I don't think that many would have a go at him for being "different". Anyone I know who wouldn't be gone on Mortimer would have the same reasons - he has an ego that isn't always compatible with a team sport. At the end of the day, he left of his own volition last time and I would say fully expected that James Horan would chase after him. I'm glad Horan didn't.

As for bringing him in to take frees - what would be the point of that? Cillian is on the way back and Evan Regan and Alan Freeman are capable of kicking a free if needs be.

• Advertisement

Naughto you know what, I'll be blunt about it. You are a passionate Mayo fan, I can see that from this forum. We all want the same thing, to win an All-Ireland for Mayo. I'm not going to personally insult someone who spent hard nights training in Castlebar for years chasing my dream and your dream. I dont think you should either. I don't think thats a hard principle to understand. Im actually gracious that there are 30 or so players every year that go out and chase my dream for me because I'm not good enough to do it myself.

Footballing criticism, fire away, but criticising someone because they are a different kind of character to what you would prefer isn't on IMO.

It goes for all counties really not just Mayo.

Good to see IMO.

Naughto you know what, I'll be blunt about it. You are a passionate Mayo fan, I can see that from this forum. We all want the same thing, to win an All-Ireland for Mayo. I'm not going to personally insult someone who spent hard nights training in Castlebar for years chasing my dream and your dream. I dont think you should either. I don't think thats a hard principle to understand. Im actually gracious that there are 30 or so players every year that go out and chase my dream for me because I'm not good enough to do it myself.

Footballing criticism, fire away, but criticising someone because they are a different kind of character to what you would prefer isn't on IMO.

It goes for all counties really not just Mayo.

This will be the end of it for me.no point derailing the thread when it's the rossies we should be after.
    I will say this there are countless lads that would kill to have had half the change Mortimer had with mayo and when that players turns around and throws it in the players/managers/supporters faces like it's his God giving right to be on the team.
    That is why I have no time for that carry on and was delighted that horan ran him with all sh1te he was at.IV even heard him say in pub " do you not no who iam"
    Anyways on go down we go.

This will be the end of it for me.no point derailing the thread when it's the rossies we should be after.
    I will say this there are countless lads that would kill to have had half the change Mortimer had with mayo and when that players turns around and throws it in the players/managers/supporters faces like it's his God giving right to be on the team.
    That is why I have no time for that carry on and was delighted that horan ran him with all sh1te he was at.IV even heard him say in pub " do you not no who iam"
    Anyways on go down we go.

On a completely different note.... we both have the same location on our profile :pac::pac::pac: just noticed.

Point taken Naughto. I hope you have taken mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I think he was lobbed a bit of a nonsense softball question about character and he shot it down straight away which is what you would expect anyone with sort of cop or ambition to do.

Only beating Roscommon by 4 points on the day was a terrible result given how much of the general play Mayo had. Mayo were/are lucky Cork only beat Down by 5 as it means that scoring difference is not going to be an issue the next day.

Mayo's goal is to win an All-Ireland and judged by that, Sunday's performance was probably in the 3/4 out of 10 category.

Lads very interesting, just seen on Twitter that Kevin McStay's official account liked an article saying that the decision to play at Hyde Park backfired on Roscommon.

• Advertisement

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I think he was lobbed a bit of a nonsense softball question about character and he shot it down straight away which is what you would expect anyone with sort of cop or ambition to do.

Only beating Roscommon by 4 points on the day was a terrible result given how much of the general play Mayo had. Mayo were/are lucky Cork only beat Down by 5 as it means that scoring difference is not going to be an issue the next day.

Mayo's goal is to win an All-Ireland and judged by that, Sunday's performance was probably in the 3/4 out of 10 category.

They should have won the match by more, but they still won, and to be honest, I never actually felt at any point that they were going to lose even when Roscommon came back into it, like I have at other points watching Mayo. There are obviously things to improve upon (I'd be a bit worried if everything was already perfect at this time of the year), but to say that winning any match is a "terrible result" is a bit over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Boom__Boom wrote: »

Totally agree,there is an air of realism amongst ourselves about where a performance like Sunday's would place us vis a vis Dublin and Kerry.. Quite a bit behind but coming from the point we were at,post 4 successive defeats and numerous losses in All Ireland club finals of varying grades it was a welcome boost to our morale considering our precarious position in terms of our division one status.

It is to be hoped and expected that come championship time we'll see an entirely different beast in terms of the Mayo team.It's my solemn hope that our forwards will step up to the mantle when it's required come summer time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Oldtree wrote: »
    Funny this should come up this week. Just after Mort left we had a game in Hyde and there was a serious problem scoring points that day, even from the 13m line in front of the goal.

If I recall we had a serious problem with free taking up to the 2011 final, but the final itself was Cillians first time as main free taker, and he nailed all but one of them, in terrible conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Surely management are the ones who are best placed to make that call. If he's that poor now and he was so far off the pace, they wouldn't be contemplating it.

Love him or hate him, he knew where the posts were and if he still does, he's welcome back. We're not exactly flush with scoring inside forwards.

If I recall we had a serious problem with free taking up to the 2011 final, but the final itself was Cillians first time as main free taker, and he nailed all but one of them, in terrible conditions.

Yeah I'll always remember that final for Cillian's frees. I think he was just out of minor, on a wet windy day in Hyde Park. Thats also the same day that Roscommon supporters booed and whistled as he was taking every free, something that you dont see done in the GAA much.

• Advertisement

Padkir wrote: »
    Surely management are the ones who are best placed to make that call. If he's that poor now and he was so far off the pace, they wouldn't be contemplating it.

Love him or hate him, he knew where the posts were and if he still does, he's welcome back. We're not exactly flush with scoring inside forwards.

You see it's the Dublin thread we should be going to asking about Mort's form seeing as he plays his football there, nobody here (myself included) really knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

the man himself has just tweeted that's its not true
    so ye can all relax :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

km79 wrote: »
    the man himself has just tweeted that's its not true
    so ye can all relax :D

But now everyone is thinking / talking about it....

He's some buck.

Maybe his end goal is trying to pull off a 'Seanie Johnston' :P:P:P

Ger Cafferkey is out for Sunday,ditto Keith Higgins.Management hoping the 5 lads from the under 21's team will come through the Roscommon game unscathed.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/mayo-unlikely-to-risk-higgins-with-cafferkey-out-of-down-tie-34586344.html

Minor Connacht GAA League: Mayo v Sligo GAA, Saturday in Tubbercurry, Throw-in 1.30pm.

U21 Connacht GAA Final:Mayo v Roscommon GAA, Saturday in Markievicz Park, Sligo, Throw-in 6pm.

For the love of God you'd have thought the GAA could manage to arrange a double header in Markievicz Park,mind boggling stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just to put this to bed once and for all.
    The story about Conor Mortimer is not true. There is nothing in it. It is an early April Fools gag. He had no part in it.
    So there ye have it. A lesson in not believing all that we read on the internet learned by many :D

The Mayo Senior Football Development Academy will be headed up by U-21 manager Michael Solan in 2016.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/27576-solan-to-head-up-mayo-football-academy

km79 wrote:
    Just to put this to bed once and for all. The story about Conor Mortimer is not true. There is nothing in it. It is an early April Fools gag. He had no part in it. So there ye have it. A lesson in not believing all that we read on the internet learned by many

It's been said so many times but it's so believable that you are Kenny 😂😂

seligehgit wrote: »
    Ger Cafferkey is out for Sunday,ditto Keith Higgins.Management hoping the 5 lads from the under 21's team will come through the Roscommon game unscathed.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/mayo-unlikely-to-risk-higgins-with-cafferkey-out-of-down-tie-34586344.html

Would like to see Kevin Keane being given a shot in the absence of Cafferky. Was kinda surprised actually that he didn't come on the last day when Cafferky came off.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

PressRun wrote: »
    Would like to see Kevin Keane being given a shot in the absence of Cafferky. Was kinda surprised actually that he didn't come on the last day when Cafferky came off.

Is he still not coming back from injury?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement