Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

yop wrote: »
    Is he still not coming back from injury?

Pretty sure he was named in the subs the last day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

There were a good few changes made though. The team in the programme doesn't entirely match what was named on the day. Fairly sure Kevin Keane was one of the changes named in the subs on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,471 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's been said so many times but it's so believable that you are Kenny 😂😂

I think he let the mask slip.

It has not been brought up in a good while and he thought he could get protection from the mods seeing as the OP says the poster identity speculation can result in a site wide ban.

I wonder what the 79 refers to though.
    End of a decade without a Connacht title for Mayo ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

km79 wrote: »
    As I said many times before I would love to be a man with 2 all stars but I am not !
    Kenny Mort is an avid Liverpool fan like his brothers and a bank official of some description . If you read through my posts you will easily find my soccer allegiances and profession !
    Also he was not born in 1979 !
    Now I think you are an actor who appeared in Fr Ted and I want you to tell me about your private life on this public forum to disprove this as I have once again had to !
    It's a good job Kenny isn't a man for social media etc :D
    Again I will be deleting this post later as yes I do want my personal identity somewhat protected
    I had a fair idea a lot sooner than I posted that the story was pure muck but I was fearful this stuff would start up AGAIN if i did ........

Okay hands up, I REALLY am the original Yop. My mother, a bottle of milk, abandoned me as a baby milk, but I go on the weights, put on some mass and now I AM the YOP.

I'm not lying, promise.

Kenny, I'll drop in for the spuds on the way home ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

The Mayo team for Sunday's round seven Allianz Football League clash against Down in Elverys MacHale Park at 2pm is:

1. David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)
    2. Brendan Harrison (Aghamore)
    3. Kevin Keane (Westport)
    4. Chris Barrett (Belmullet)
    5. Lee Keegan (Westport)
    6. Colm Boyle (Davitts)
    7. Shane Nally (Garrymore)
    8. Tom Parsons (Charlestown)
    9. Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy)
    10. Conor O’Shea (Breaffy)
    11. Aidan O’Shea (Breaffy)
    12. Jason Doherty (Burrishoole)
    13. Evan Regan (Ballina Stephenites)
    14. Alan Freeman (Aghamore)
    15. Cillian O’Connor (Ballintubber).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,266 ✭✭✭✭km79

seligehgit wrote: »
    The Mayo team for Sunday's round seven Allianz Football League clash against Down in Elverys MacHale Park at 2pm is:

1. David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)
    2. Brendan Harrison (Aghamore)
    3. Kevin Keane (Westport)
    4. Chris Barrett (Belmullet)
    5. Lee Keegan (Westport)
    6. Colm Boyle (Davitts)
    7. Shane Nally (Garrymore)
    8. Tom Parsons (Charlestown)
    9. Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy)
    10. Conor O’Shea (Breaffy)
    11. Aidan O’Shea (Breaffy)
    12. Jason Doherty (Burrishoole)
    13. Evan Regan (Ballina Stephenites)
    14. Alan Freeman (Aghamore)
    15. Cillian O’Connor (Ballintubber).

strong team
    good to see clarke given a go
    wonder would he have been if cillian wasnt there for the long range frees rob hennelly had been taking!

Strong team indeed.It's great to see David Clarke getting a run out in goal.Good to see Kevin Keane back after his shoulder injury as he was flying in the early season games,Chris Barrett gets another day out to impress the management further.

Tad surprised Patrick Durkan is not getting a run out in the half backs.TBF Shane Nally has acquitted himself admirably in the league thus far,expecting Patrick will see some action at some stage.It will be interesting to see if Diarmuid O Connor or any of the other under 21s feature in the match day squad.Tad surprised Cillian O Connor is fit to start a game as yet.

I suppose Sunday is as good a time as any to give Cillian some game time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

As has been the case all league, I wonder how many changes to the team and subs we will see on Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

strong team
    good to see clarke given a go
    wonder would he have been if cillian wasnt there for the long range frees rob hennelly had been taking!

Would love to know the exact thoughts behind that.

To others, you're barking up the wrong tree. KM79 is a legend but not a former All Star.

Fair play to Diarmuid O Connor,doing his bit to increase mental health awareness in young people.Highlighting the extraordinary pressures on elite athletes....

http://www.independent.ie/sport/watch-mayo-footballer-diarmuid-oconnor-stars-in-thoughtprovoking-mental-health-video-34590922.html?utm_source=outbrain_bottom_module&utm_medium=outbrain&utm_campaign=Outbrain%20On%20Site

I'm sure there'll be a change or two made on the day, but it's a strong team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Thats the best full forward line we've had in a long time. Three players who get goals. Bit of size to it with Freeman n Cillian. Regan adds a bit of pace and a left foot threat.

Thats the best full forward line we've had in a long time. Three players who get goals. Bit of size to it with Freeman n Cillian. Regan adds a bit of pace and a left foot threat.

team and squad is coming together nicely!
    hopefully relegation is avoided now and we go into championship with morale high

• Advertisement

Any word on the under 21 team??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

seligehgit wrote: »
    Any word on the under 21 team??

Hitting the road for Sligo now shortly. Haven't seen a team named yet?

Ross leading Mayo 1-6 to 0-4 at HT.

Could be worse, Roscommon were 1-03 to 0-0 after 10mins.

Absolute edge of the seat stuff there from the U21s. Fair ****s to them for pulling it back. Sounded like a fantastic second-half performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Unbelievable . Great stuff from the Mayo lads . Ended a 7 year drought . Great come back .

• Advertisement

Great win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,802 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Fantastic stuff.

Nothing like a few All Ireland winners to grind themselves out of a tight corner.

I give them a serious chance against Dublin who only scraped past Kildare in the Leinster decider.

Honourable mention to the minors who had a good win earlier in the day against Sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Great stuff, just hearing about it now.

According to Midwest, the family of the late Darragh Doherty are at the match today. Bittersweet for some of the lads that played alongside him, I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Looks like diarmud played most of the second half with 1 leg . Flanagan MOM performance .
    Boland hall and Irwin all soldiers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great win. Winning is a habit and great to see our first win in a lot of years.minors did well also.
    3 great results from the 3 grades. Hopefully tomorrow will add to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

when the goal went in after a couple of minutes i just thought to meself, ah jesus here it goes again..... great comeback.

fantastic win

Midwest talking like Diarmuid O'Connor will be fit to play tomorrow. Sounded like Moffat was on and off the pitch like a yoyo giving him attention throughout that second half though.

PressRun wrote: »
    Midwest talking like Diarmuid O'Connor will be fit to play tomorrow. Sounded like Moffat was on and off the pitch like a yoyo giving him attention throughout that second half though.

personally think it would be ridiculous to even consider playing him at any stage of it
    less than 24 hours rest
    take the long term view with a young player

• Advertisement

personally think it would be ridiculous to even consider playing him at any stage of it
    less than 24 hours rest
    take the long term view with a young player

Agreed. Seems way too much to ask. In sny case, surely they're entitled to a drink tonight rather than having to think about another match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Little to gain and everything to lose from risking DOC tomorrow. On for the last 10 if we're behind but he really shouldn't play any part. I'd like to think we have the quality to win without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Good to see a bit of normality being restored in Connacht football in the last week at senior and underage levels after a difficult few months for Mayo GAA. :)

Another great win today, these lads have made winning a habit in recent years at minor and now at under 21 level.

I agree that there's no need for DOC (or any of the others that played today) to be playing any football tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Good to see a bit of normality being restored in Connacht football in the last week at senior and underage levels

Hasn't been anywhere near normal for a few years now, at senior at least. Not to worry tho, these things have a habit of referring back to the natural order after a while

Great win.
    Would be good for the overall morale to win the SF too, beating a Dublin team at any grade is something we have not done in a while.

I see a story going around that the Roscommon under 21 players walked off the field straight after the game tonight instead of acknowledging the trophy presentation to Mayo - is that correct?

Obviously they'll have been disappointed with the result but, if true, that's a very disrespectful way to finish off their season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,802 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I see a story going around that the Roscommon under 21 players walked off the field straight after the game tonight instead of acknowledging the trophy presentation to Mayo - is that correct?

Obviously they'll have been disappointed with the result but, if true, that's a very disrespectful way to finish off their season.
    Didn't happen apparently.
    Mayo gaa banter Facebook page sh1te stirring.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Didn't happen apparently.
    Mayo gaa banter Facebook page sh1te stirring.

Wouldn't be the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Re The Rossies leaving before the presentation took place Midwest mentioned during that period that there were no sign of any Rossie players and that they could see the manager and one of selectors leaving the pitch. Very poor form if this is the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 DonnchadhMac

Our league campaign seems quite similar to Kerrys in 2014, do just enough to stay up while also building momentum towards the end to bring into the championship. Roscommons like Derry in a 2014?

I think there was some mention on MWR as I was listening to same that the Roscommon players left before the full finish of the presentation but they certainly did not leave the pitch immediately after the game.That is simply incorrect.I did'nt hang around for the presentation.TBF I am sure they were gutted.

Anyhow what a result,did'nt really see it coming at HT.Calamitous start with the poor Roscommon goal conceded,our full back line was in a lot of bother.Roscommon were bossing the middle of the park,displaying superior intensity and physical levels.Their greater tempo produced scores from play with ease whilst the ball failed to stick inside for our lads.It took Liam Irwin a while to find his bearings with the placed balls which were our only real source of scores.If Roscommon had'nt made a total hames of a second goal chance they'd have been out of sight.

Wonderful second half display,some great scores from play yet we could'nt get any closer than two points until Liam Irwin's goal from a rather fortuitous point attempt that ended up as a great cross field ball.

Kudos to Matthew Flanagan for an outstanding game throughout,a vital second half save and other scary moments in at times shaky full back line.Shairoze Akram in particular and Michael Hall put in thundering second half displays ditto Stephen Coen.Matthew Ruane was excellent throughout.All the forwards came into their own in the second half,tad surprised Conor Loftus was called ashore so early.Diarmuid O Connor continues to amaze me,simply epic..incredible work rate and all the skills to boot.

Much improvement required for the semi final clash with Dublin but these lads have grown up together as winners and it shone through tonight in their win against the odds.A great tribute in itself to Darragh Doherty.

12670812_1048126888594629_7084256751292991753_n.jpg?oh=78155ee408b65307920ab16e0432649f&oe=5792DC1F

I haven't been following the U21 championship very closely, admittedly. I'd be curious to know how the other remaining teams are looking at this level. The Dublin/Kildare match sounded very close today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I've always wondered why people expect the losing team to wait around for the presentation. Personally if I was on the winning team, I couldn't care less if the other team hung around or not. If I was on the losing team, I'd prefer just to get off the pitch as soon as I could. Always seemed a bit silly to me. The one thing I do have a problem with is when players celebrate at the final whistle and don't go back to shake their opponents hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭naughto

I've always wondered why people expect the losing team to wait around for the presentation. Personally if I was on the winning team, I couldn't care less if the other team hung around or not. If I was on the losing team, I'd prefer just to get off the pitch as soon as I could. Always seemed a bit silly to me. The one thing I do have a problem with is when players celebrate at the final whistle and don't go back to shake their opponents hand.
    It's called respect tcd now it is hard to stay on the pitch after loosing a final i lost many in my playing days.
    But for the sake of 5 mins it has to be done.
    Jesus the hyde is some mess of a place or is it there county board trying to keep the gate money no matter what state the pitch is in.it should have being called during the week with the forecast for rain we are getting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Roscommon v Dublin switched to Carrick

• Advertisement

Ya it's one of those things players probably wouldn't want to do, they'd rather get straight out of there, but it's very disrespectful to walk straight off. To be fair to them the reports now seem to be that they left the field during the speech but had stayed for the trophy presentation, which is fair enough I think.

Roscommon v Dublin switched to Carrick

Double standards again. Dublin were never going to be made to play in that ****hole but it was fine for Mayo last Sunday apparently.

Double standards again. Dublin were never going to be made to play in that ****hole but it was fine for Mayo last Sunday apparently.

I think it suited us to be fair!

As the other poster said it suited us, plus Mayo was the first game on it so it would obviously in worse shape after last Sunday than before.

Had the fixtures been the other way around Dublin would have played on it and Mayo wodhave been moved.

Anyway enough about Ross and their problems Mayo got the points and that's all the matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

To be honest switching venues on the morning of the game is a joke, the under 21 game was moved too, at least there was notice there .
    They waited until the hotels and pubs had their business done last night before moving the game.

The pitch was a joke last week and should not have been used, but that's no reason to continue to use it, the two games were cancelled afterwards. IMO this was about local business rather than who was playing.

Edit
    Agreed about this , it's all things mayo here now

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement