Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

The ref was poor for both sides, to be fair. He gave Dublin a couple of dodgy ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

He's some man alright. I honestly don't think mayo have ever had a player as hard working as diarmuid. Up and down the length of the pitch every single match. Absolutely empties himself every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

RD10 wrote: »
    He's some man alright. I honestly don't think mayo have ever had a player as hard working as diarmuid. Up and down the length of the pitch every single match. Absolutely empties himself every game.

Where does he get the engine??He has pace with an amazing acceleration,can pick the ball up on the run,excellent at both hand and foot passes.He is what we need at senior level in terms of taking a score,his workrate is mesmerising.He is well on his way to becoming the complete footballer.

He is a more natural and superior footballer than his older brother and that's saying something as Cillian is no slouch in quality terms.

Anyway it's not all about one footballer,hopefully these lads will bring home some silverware.They appear to have that winning mentality that we are so often accused of lacking and never say die attitude.

Does anyone know when was the last time Mayo beat Dublin at any level?

Well that was all a bit mad. 6 up to 4 down and win by a point in injury time.

Maigh Eo abú!

#seesaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

PressRun wrote: »
    Does anyone know when was the last time Mayo beat Dublin at any level?

2012 senior AI semi final ?

cocoman wrote: »

I was thinking it may have been then, but wasn't sure if the minors or U21s had beaten them at some point between then and now.

Yes I believe that's the last time we beat them at any grade....minor,under 21 or senior in any meaningful championship contest.We haven't played them at minor or under 21 level in recent years.We have not been reeling out too many under age Connaught titles in recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Superb performance all round by Mayo. Knuckled down to the task brilliantly when Dublin looked likely to take command.

Well done, Mayo !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well done Mayo

Great to see the guys of 2013, and some of 2014, get to the final at the next level up.

Cork in the final.

Hopefully we can keep our recent winning form against that county up, also a repeat of the final 10 years ago

Well done Mayo

Great to see the guys of 2013, and some of 2014, get to the final at the next level up.

Cork in the final.

Hopefully we can keep our recent winning form against that county up, also a repeat of the final 10 years ago

Cork in the final so we may be back on the road to Limerick again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Cork in the final so we may be back on the road to Limerick again.

Ennis it was the last time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Diarmuid is the real deal, he's Mayo's mvp and he's only 20. Mayo needed to beat Dublin today, the fact it was 2012 since we last beat them shows how dominant they've become. I think Kerry need to beat Dublin in the league final, not cause I've any love for Kerry, but they need to put a halt to their dominance.
    I'm not anti Dublin, I was delighted in 2011 and cheered Cluxtons point over the bar, but I'd hate to see a Scottish Premiership develop. On any given Sunday, 3/4/5 teams need to be capable of beating each other, which isn't the case right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Great heart shown today.

Diarmuid O'Connor will be as valuable to Mayo as Ciaran McDonald was. Focal point to everything we did today, if he wasn't intercepting balls in his own square, he was scoring goals at the other end. A work horse and has the technical ability to match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

the importance of winning a big game late on like this cant be understated especially the way the game had gone.
    This group of players will bring this never say die winning mentality through with them especially if they deliver a second AI title
    I honestly can't get over how much DOC is progressing
    Gives me great hope for the summer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I'm out of the country so no access to the game but it sounded an immense win even more so the fact we returned from a big lead into what looked like a defeat. That's two games on the bounce now we've taken it to end and won. Now need to once and for all close out the pre final performances and continue them to an ai final win. Doc has been superb all year
    Delighted for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Days like today would take years off a man,a joy to behold.my heart goes out to Tommy Carr now that neither his beloved Dublin or Kerry will be in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

gigantic09 wrote: »
    Days like today would take years off a man,a joy to behold.my heart goes out to Tommy Carr now that neither his beloved Dublin or Kerry will be in the final.

I thought Tommy Carr was/is a Tipp man:)

I thought Tommy Carr was/is a Tipp man:)

He never tips Mayo anyway,thats for sure :-).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I thought Tommy Carr was/is a Tipp man

No he's from Dublin, so is his brother Declan who played for Tip alright.
    They had a pub on Prussia Street/ Stoneybatter for years :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

It was a brilliant display yesterday. This team never gives up.stayed in tullamore last night everyone delighted mayo won.

yop wrote: »
    I'm out of the country so no access to the game but it sounded an immense win even more so the fact we returned from a big lead into what looked like a defeat. That's two games on the bounce now we've taken it to end and won. Now need to once and for all close out the pre final performances and continue them to an ai final win. Doc has been superb all year
    Delighted for him

Yop i think some of our Dublin colleagues thought you might have gone further afield to never return if we'd lost yesterday's contest!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

:confused::confused:

Beloved Kerry... Tommy Carr? Having a laugh right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Just got to Ballina for the last 2 minutes of the game...and what a 2 minutes!!! On a negative note.... very disappointed to be in a sports pub on the outskirts of the town and the Indian Premier League cricket on the big screens!! GAA relegated to 2 small screens over the food counter. (With no sound) Shamefull!:mad:

Cork will be very tough to beat in the final. They look dangerous going forward, very goal hungry from what I could see. They got all their scores from play yesterday too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

No offence to the good people of Clare but I hope it isn't played there as it isn't a nice venue. Limerick would be perfect but it's a good bit nearer to Cork than Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

lukin wrote: »
    No offence to the good people of Clare but I hope it isn't played there as it isn't a nice venue. Limerick would be perfect but it's a good bit nearer to Cork than Mayo.

I have been to many hurling matches in Ennis. Just a couple of football matches. But I always found it to be a wonderful town for a match. Great atmosphere there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

I have been to many hurling matches in Ennis. Just a couple of football matches. But I always found it to be a wonderful town for a match. Great atmosphere there.

The town is grand I just don't like Cusack park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Port Laoise or Tullamore would probably be better as a venue for final than Ennis.

Will venue and time be confirmed tomorrow?

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

Beloved Kerry... Tommy Carr? Having a laugh right?

He reckons Dublin and Kerry are miles ahead of everyone else and never misses an opportunity to castigate and belittle Mayo.He conveniently forgets that we provided Dublin with their toughest challenge last year and Kerry the year before,not to mention that last years final was one of the poorest in recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

He reckons Dublin and Kerry are miles ahead of everyone else and never misses an opportunity to castigate and belittle Mayo.He conveniently forgets that we provided Dublin with their toughest challenge last year and Kerry the year before,not to mention that last years final was one of the poorest in recent times.
    He'll jump on whatever bandwagon is rolling early in the year, so if they win the All Ireland later he can say "I told you so".

He's a Dub so he's always going to love them, along with Westmeath and Roscommon.

Kerry are rolling now so he's behind them, but after losing to Roscommon he said we were going nowhere.

He famously went on radio the day of the Kerry v Westmeath qualifier a few years ago, and gave out stink about the referee and how he favoured Kerry, and that Westmeath deserved better, even suggesting they should have won. When quizzed further it turned out that he had missed all of the first half of the game because he was watching the Connacht Final, which was delayed by half an hour AFIAK.

Sums him up as a pundit.

Hes a sort of an Eamon Dunphy type so,but at least Eamon is good craic when hes on.

I don't really understand these "pundits" who have grudges against certain teams and I understand even less why they keep getting paid to give their opinions. I get that people have their favourites, but if someone can't even summon up any vague semblance of objectivity when analysing a game, then they shouldn't be doing that job.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yop i think some of our Dublin colleagues thought you might have gone further afield to never return if we'd lost yesterday's contest!:D

Oh did they now....must toddle over to the Dublin thread....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Nothing to see here....move along now....move along...have yiz no homes to go to at all, at all, at all....whistles innocently...:P

Btw, do people think Sharoize Akram will make the move to senior level in the next year or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

The ref was poor for both sides, to be fair. He gave Dublin a couple of dodgy ones too.
    The referee gave Dublin a few very handy frees but in the end I felt he robbed them. In the first half he gave a very soft free in particular to Dublin and 1 in the second half. When Dublin were went ahead I felt he brought Mayo back into the game. Two wrongs dont make a right. Fair play to lad for having the bottle for the last few frees. The last one I would given the other way. But thats how the cookie crumbles. But if that was a senior match the Ref would have had a few paragraphs all to himself. Inconsistent.

But better overall balanced team won on the day.

Just on D.O'C. He is a fine player but now needs minding. I can only imagine what the local papers will say about him. It can destroy a young lad as we have seen in the past with many good young players. Con O'Callaghan has been kept fairly quiet by Dublin and is another exceptional talent to look forward to.
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    Congrats you lot.

That DO'C is some man for one man.

( Insert obligatory grumble about the ref here
    > :mad: )
    D.O'C was superb. Great display and a great effort from both sides.

On the Tommy Carr punditry, lads grow up. He wants to be like Pat Spillane but is not in the same league at all. Him and Martin McHugh and Martin Carney should be put out to grass.

And he is a TIPP man, wants to be a dub though!!

The ref was poor (seems to be becoming an all too common sentence at this stage), but I don't think I'd go so far as to say Dublin were robbed. Dublin were out on their feet by the end having expended so much energy trying to get back into the match after their poor first half. Mayo had built up momentum and found a second wind, and they were on their way to getting a least a draw going into the last 10 minutes or so. If the last free hadn't been awarded and the game had gone to extra time, I think Mayo would have gone on and won it anyway. That all said, Mayo are going to need to be better again and avoid these mid-match lulls to beat Cork, imo.

On Diarmuid O'Connor and the local papers, I think that horse may have bolted. Unfortunately any exciting talent in Mayo football tends to receive a fair bit of local media attention. It seems to come with the territory. I'm not a huge fan of it myself, but I think Diarmuid has a good head on his shoulders and can probably deal with it better than most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Btw, do people think Sharoize Akram will make the move to senior level in the next year or so?

He certainly has the ability but I don't think he's got the physicality yet that is needed for senior football. However, that's not too surprising as he is one of very few on the team who is only in his first year out of minor, so he'd have another two years with the 21s if they weren't disbanding the competition.

Personally I think they should be looking at getting him involved with the senior team's S+C program this year so that he might be able to make the step up for next year's division 1 campaign.

Venue for U21 final confirmed for Ennis.
    6pm throw in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Is the U-21,s definitely being scrapped and replaced with U-20?

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Is the U-21,s definitely being scrapped and replaced with U-20?

I believe so,it was ratified at Congress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

got this this am
    Following discussions between the London County Board and the Connacht Council Mayo GAA can confirm we have received a limited allocation of tickets to cover players, management and sponsors for the upcoming Connacht Senior championship game on May 29th in Ruislip.

The size of this allocation means we cannot supply tickets to our clubs nor will we have tickets for sale through Elverys MacHale Park. Unfortunately this means some fans may not have access to tickets. We will endeavour to work with the London County Board and the Connacht Council and should more tickets be become available we will notify clubs immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

Another uber-dramatic one-point victory for the Mayo u21s. While it's always good to see the Dubs getting beat I would be a tad concerned going forward, e.g. what did the manager say to those lads at half-time, they looked catatonic in the second half? I think they'll really have to perform in both halves to beat Cork. The Rebel's No.11 for example is a lot better than anything Dublin had and will need watching.

Good team this Mayo side - another exciting bunch of attack minded backs emerging onto the scene, particularly Akram who was very busy. Shame Cian Hanley's not there but they're good enough to win anyway.

• Advertisement

Padraig Hughes from Armagh is the referee for the All Ireland under 21 football final.Not a huge fan as he tends to overly fussy and whistle happy which tends to be a hindrance to the possibility of a free flowing contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

seligehgit wrote: »
    Padraig Hughes from Armagh is the referee for the All Ireland under 21 football final.Not a huge fan as he tends to overly fussy and whistle happy which tends to be a hindrance to the possibility of a free flowing contest.

If he refs like that at home he must put in some very long days.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Well done to the mayo ladys today.great come back to win by 1.great few weeks for mayo football. Long may it continue!

It was looking very ominous for the ladies there for a while. Fair play to them for pulling it back!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement