Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The first person to suggest that the last time Leicester City won the league was 1951 gets a slap from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

The first person to suggest that the last time Leicester City won the league was 1951 gets a slap from me.

Yea, you dont want to hear it at all, thats why you were sure to make the connection:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Tottenham won it that year, you're backing the wrong team! :pac:

martyos121 wrote: »
    Tottenham won it that year, you're backing the wrong team! :pac:

OK, maybe there is something in it.

Come on you spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Should you not be asking the Rossie's permission to reference Leicester City? A month ago, they were convinced they were the "fairytale, feel good factor" story of the year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Should you not be asking the Rossie's permission to reference Leicester City? A month ago, they were convinced they were the "fairy tale, feel good factor" story of the year.

They have all disappeared off boards since then :)
    But we are well used to that, wait for a few weeks and they will be back when the "Tar is melting and the ice cream is melting" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

yop wrote: »
    They have all disappeared off boards since then :)
    But we are well used to that, wait for a few weeks and they will be back when the "Tar is melting and the ice cream is melting" :)

I wish I shared your optimism regarding the weather forecast. Doesn't seem very realistic today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Mike Solan hopeful that he'll have a fully fit squad for the U21 final, which is good news. The full-back who went off injured in the semi-final is expected to be back for the match. How many expected to head down to Ennis? Sadly the timing couldn't be worse for me, so I won't be able to make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Heading down to it for sure. An AI is at stake. Never mind the good it would do for the county but the confidence and most importantly the self belief it will bring to this young team will be colossal.

Really disappointed that I can't make it.

On the 10th anniversary of the last great triumph at U21 and all, same opposition, same venue.

Same result hopefully.

• Advertisement

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Heading down to it for sure. An AI is at stake. Never mind the good it would do for the county but the confidence and most importantly the self belief it will bring to this young team will be colossal.

Yes, a win here would be very significant going forward as many of the guys involved would be minors from 2013.
    That sort of experience in Mayo has been a rare commodity for decades, hopefully they can win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Fowler87 wrote: »

Might see you there!;-) I'd be expecting a very big crowd to head down,there's an All Ireland at stake and this crop of potentially very special players have a record of success and are Mayo's future.In addition it's a bank holiday weekend which is likely to bump the numbers up.The traffic is likely to be brutal,I've never been to Ennis before.I've been told by a Banner man that the parking is not too easy to come by.

I missed out on the 2006 win,TG4 was my saviour that day.I can't imagine there will be a very large crowd travelling from the Rebel county?It's going to take a monumental effort for the lads to get over the line,Cork have a very decent team.They've beaten a highly regarded Kerry team and Monaghan.Young Hurley is going to require special attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Hope to make it down myself, will be a long day with some MAyo day tidy towns duties in morning!

I see brehaney putting the boot into Mayo again,
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/surely-the-gods-must-relent-with-mayo-34663048.html

seligehgit wrote: »
    It's going to take a monumental effort for the lads to get over the line,Cork have a very decent team.They've beaten a highly regarded Kerry team and Monaghan.Young Hurley is going to require special attention.

I think they're going to have to find another gear too. Dozing off midmatch isn't going to cut it. I think Cork are where they fully expected to be in this competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

seligehgit wrote: »
    Might see you there!;-) I'd be expecting a very big crowd to head down,there's an All Ireland at stake and this crop of potentially very special players have a record of success and are Mayo's future.In addition it's a bank holiday weekend which is likely to bump the numbers up.The traffic is likely to be brutal,I've never been to Ennis before.I've been told by a Banner man that the parking is not too easy to come by.

I missed out on the 2006 win,TG4 was my saviour that day.I can't imagine there will be a very large crowd travelling from the Rebel county?It's going to take a monumental effort for the lads to get over the line,Cork have a very decent team.They'veten a highly regarded Kerry team and Monaghan.Young Hurley is going to require special attention.
    And we thought we were the ones with the hunger....

There'll be some craic in Ennis if they win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PressRun wrote:
    There'll be some craic in Ennis if they win!

Ennis is a great spot I saw Clare play there a couple of times in the early 90s .

I was at the 1992 munster final when they beat Kerry we were on the sideline, I think it was in limerick. I've never been on the sideline watching a game before or since. That was a great day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

When is the team being named?

Good luck tomorrow lads, is it really Mayo day tomorrow. Just heard it on newstalk .

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    When is the team being named?

They don't tend to name the Mayo team at this grade until match day from what I've observed over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

What's cuasck park like to get In and out of ? Been a few years since I was down and vaguely remember having to park a good bit out ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Hope to make it down myself, will be a long day with some MAyo day tidy towns duties in morning!

I see brehaney putting the boot into Mayo again,
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/surely-the-gods-must-relent-with-mayo-34663048.html

Putting the boot in? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Whats the craic with tickets lads? Presume they will be on sale outside the stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Whats the craic with tickets lads? Presume they will be on sale outside the stadium?

Ya on sale outside the grounds.

eastmayo wrote: »
    Ya on sale outside the grounds.

where's best to park

• Advertisement

Two fast goals. Cork have half time to recover

I think you have it now

How was that not a red for the cork no 8 player ??

A very bad wide for Mayo, could cost us.... and now another.

We have the Cork goalkeeper to thank, finally luck on our side.:) WooHooooooooooooo

Great finish well done
    Went flat at midfield for a bit and Cork came back. Cork lads well able to turn the ball over , but all joking aside, goals win games, well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Well done you lot.

All together now... Kamp-Eeh-Oh-Nays, Kamp-Eeh-Oh-Nays....Ole, Ole, Ole....

HUP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Feel sorry for the Cork goalkeeper, nice to win one for a change and great for the young lads to get that winning mentality, 9 of the team today were involved in the last minor win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Muigheo Abu.

Well done Maigh Eo! Repeat in September if possible.

384728.jpg
    384729.jpg

Brilliant to win that.

Game itself was tough watching with all the bad wides and Cork coming back, but it worked out in the end.

Great experience for these lads to have two All Ireland's.

On paper at least the medium to long term future looks good for Mayo football.

Brilliant to win that.

Game itself was tough watching with all the bad wides and Cork coming back, but it worked out in the end.

Great experience for these lads to have two All Ireland's.

On paper at least the medium to long term future looks good for Mayo football.

How many of the panel would have minor medals from 2013 I wonder?

How many of the panel would have minor medals from 2013 I wonder?

Nine i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Several players underage again next year too

Akram Ruane Cunniffe Reape Duffy Flanagan O Donaghue and Carr Conlon Byrne too

Someones updated the Wiki page already! Joint 3rd in the roll of honour with 5 titles, and the last one with the U-20 code starting next year.

EDIT: correction, one more left. U-20 starting in 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Ireland_Under-21_Football_Championship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

****ing fantastic win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Great news to come home to. Blast work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

Corkman here,well done to Mayo but our goalkeeper had a bit of a meltdown the poor fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Not long home.
    Fantastic win. Delighted for all involved.
    There was a huge support for Mayo as usual.
    There'll be some craic in Solans Ballagh tonight :)

Marvellous win,these final victories are ever so precious given our awful final record.Great to see a bunch of Mayo players with such a track record of winning.Without doubt it lifts the morale in this football crazy county.

I hope the lads have a great night celebrating,they truly deserve it.Hopefully it is an achievement that the seniors can emulate come September.Carpe Diem.

wonderful evening
    great to see so many kids there and being able to meet players,hold trophy and play some football on the pitch after
    that's what makes the GAA special and does more to get future generations playing than anything else
    Delighted with the win :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Super win. These guys show a real desire to win and just will not accept defeat.... very inspiring and hope it is the start of a special year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

a few prayers said for that win, especially for the ref who gratefully gave them the odd free or 12 in the semi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Yipee yapee and yahooey, well done lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

From a Roscommon man - well done Mayo!

This group of players have shown an ability to take a chance when it presents itself. That's the type of mentality Mayo need if they want to win Sam.

From our perspective there's gonna be a lot of 'if only' in the next few days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement