Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JayReale

Great win, maybe not a great performance. This team have proven they know how to win. Feel bad for the Cork goalkeeper... Tough day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Just wakening up after a whirlwind of match .

Well Carlsberg don't do Mayo days but if they did it would probably have been yesterday .

That's the fibre in the diet that Mayo needs . Winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

A great win yesterday. Felt there wasn't much in it but as it has been said, goals win matches.

It was an All Ireland title that was snatched from no where.

I hope these lads enjoy the celebrations but don't lose the run of themselves, they've more titles to win in the years to come - lets hope they're smart enough to realise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Next morning, what a win, still drunk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I do feel sorry for the Cork keeper, not in a patronising way, I just hate to see a young lad like that carry the can for a defeat. Great win by a team that has such huge self belief and it's encouraging to see how many are U21 next year again. Mighty atmosphere in a tight ground with a lovely pitch, it's fast becoming my favourite ground. It also helped heal the wounds of driving that same road home in 2014 with such a heavy heart.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

a few prayers said for that win, especially for the ref who gratefully gave them the odd free or 12 in the semi

Ah now, no need to be bitter there. The ref in that game missed stonewall frees he should have given Mayo but didn't in that game too. Dublin got plenty of soft calls in their favour, probably many more than Mayo got on the same day.

Aside from that, great win and some heart shown by these lads. I do feel for the Cork keeper, but I've seen cases where those types of errors haven't been punished by Mayo teams in the past.

Shocking number of wides for the number points scored. Took all the goal chances though. Plenty of leaders on that team. The future is bright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Unreal win..On Mayo day and all! Seriously what imbecile came up with "Mayo Day", my Mayo workmates nearly died of embarrassment when they seen it.

On the football, looked a very solid team with very few weak links. Thought they showed maturity towards the end, finding ways to deal with Corks main threat, the FF, and cleverly keeping possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

View from the middle of the stand. Bit shaky as the stand was rocking with Mayo fans:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Fantastic work Mayo Mick...

seligehgit wrote: »
    Fantastic work Mayo Mick...

Bit long, couldn't edit anything out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Superb unreal incredible unbelievable.
    Was abroad with a pub load of mayo people and wowe but that was impressive.
    Never say die attitude and just a will not to give up
    Really happy for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Final score from NY.
    Roscommon 1-15. New York 0-17.

Close enough call there for Roscommon. New York nearly throwing a spanner in the works for the Connacht Championship!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

I heard mayo.play fermanagh in challenge match this eve in ballagh at 5.anyone else hear?

eastmayo wrote: »
    I heard mayo.play fermanagh in challenge match this eve in ballagh at 5.anyone else hear?

Heard that last night. Couldn't make it myself. Not seeing any match reports on twitter either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Mayo won by 4 according to a poster on Mayogaablog. Very experimental line up with a lot of fringe players getting a run, particularly Castlebar lads who haven't had much or any intercounty game time this year. Possibly a last chance for some of the panel if the stories of six of the All Ireland winning under 21s getting called up/staying on for championship are true. There won't be room for everyone this summer and if we're being honest it's easy to pick out 5 or 6 who aren't really at the standard needed and might be cut.

Mayo won by 4 according to a poster on Mayogaablog. Very experimental line up with a lot of fringe players getting a run, particularly Castlebar lads who haven't had much or any intercounty game time this year. Possibly a last chance for some of the panel if the stories of six of the All Ireland winning under 21s getting called up/staying on for championship are true. There won't be room for everyone this summer and if we're being honest it's easy to pick out 5 or 6 who aren't really at the standard needed and might be cut.

Is there 6 being cut from the panel?

More than 6, I heard. But not too sure on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Anyone hear about the u21s acting thee boll1ox in breaffy house last night?

Wouldn't surprise me. A gang of 20/21 year old lads with presumably a load of drink on them has rarely been anything other than messy.

• Advertisement

PressRun wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me. A gang of 20/21 year old lads with presumably a load of drink on them has rarely been anything other than messy.

Depends on what they're meant to have done, no excuse for acting the bollocks..All-Ireland title or not.

Depends on what they're meant to have done, no excuse for acting the bollocks..All-Ireland title or not.

I don't think there's an excuse for it, it just simply wouldn't surprise me given the age group and that there was more than likely drink involved.

I don't think there's an excuse for it, it just simply wouldn't surprise me given the age group and that there was more than likely drink involved.

I know what you're saying. It's a bit pointless speculating when it's only rumour and hearsay but hopefully they didn't let themselves down.

Also they deserve to celebrate this title but I hope they keep grounded in the next few weeks/months and keep focused for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Ah now, let's face it there are too many around the county with a bad word to say about players when they let their hair down, or get quoted in a newspaper.

Unless they did something farcical altogether then let's leave out the speculation and let these lads celebrate their achievement.

Blackjack wrote: »
    Ah now, let's face it there are too many around the county with a bad word to say about players when they let their hair down, or get quoted in a newspaper.

Unless they did something farcical altogether then let's leave out the speculation and let these lads celebrate their achievement.

Yes I'm not sure if this is a subject that merits mention without little more than hearsay as a source for the alleged story.

Blackjack wrote: »

That's fair enough, unless something concrete comes out then they deserve any benefit of the doubt. They were a credit to us on Saturday and hopefully will be for years to come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

megadodge wrote: »
    From a Roscommon man - well done Mayo!

This group of players have shown an ability to take a chance when it presents itself. That's the type of mentality Mayo need if they want to win Sam.

From our perspective there's gonna be a lot of 'if only' in the next few days.
    You know what would be great? In a couple of years, Mayo & Roscommon meeting in a couple of All Ireland finals. Let's make a deal now. We have the first one, you can have the second. ....:)

Report on the challenge match from CT:

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/05/02/4119025-last-chance-for-mayo-senior-team-aspirants/

Who do people think will end up in goals for the championship?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/05/02/4119025-last-chance-for-mayo-senior-team-aspirants/

Interesting that Mickey Conroy got a run, thought his days were over, maybe not, could be a decent impact sub if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 con89

seligehgit wrote: »
    Nice article in the Irish Independent on Shairoze Akram.

Not the first Roscommon man to play football for Mayo & 3 or 4 of Mayo's hurling panel are Rossies.

Never understood why Ballaghadereen play in Mayo (btw I'm not a Rossie myself)

[HTML][/HTML]
    con89 wrote: »

Not the first Roscommon man to play football for Mayo & 3 or 4 of Mayo's hurling panel are Rossies.

Never understood why Ballaghadereen play in Mayo (btw I'm not a Rossie myself)

If they're wearing Mayo jerseys then they can't be Rossies. Administrative and sporting boundaries don't always match. A quick Internet search will explain the reasons but, in short, Ballaghadereen was part of Mayo long before it ever had any connection to Roscommon.

Yes there's a very simple explanation,Ballaghadereen was historically part of Mayo and I will continue to welcome my Ballaghadereen brethren with open arms.

I'd go with Clarke but I'd say Rochford will pick Hennelly, as he's been first choice during the league.

32 is a smaller squad size than last year. Nobody has retired and there are a load of under 21s to fit in so there are going to be some disappointed players this week. To be honest there are at least four or five in there who have been making up the numbers without any sign of them breaking through over the last few years. Now that there's a load of quality younger players to be fitted in they are likely to be squeezed out. Given the age profile of a couple of them, it might be the last time we see some of them at county level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

eezipc wrote: »
    You know what would be great? In a couple of years, Mayo & Roscommon meeting in a couple of All Ireland finals. Let's make a deal now. We have the first one, you can have the second. ....:)

I think any sane person in either county would bite your hand off if that was offered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Interesting that Mickey Conroy got a run, thought his days were over, maybe not, could be a decent impact sub if required.

I'm telling you, he's worth a couple of points off the bench . Well he was two years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

eezipc wrote: »

I'd say the Rossies will win one before Mayo😆

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Uncle Ben wrote:
    I'd say the Rossies will win one before Mayo😆

And I'd say you've taken too many pills?

Stay off the rice there Ben it's flooding your brain

Conroy, sweeney, ronaldson, Kirkby, Douglas , Shane mchale all cut from the panel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

naughto wrote: »
    Conroy, sweeney, ronaldson, Kirkby, Douglas , Shane mchale all cut from the panel

none of them can have any complaints
    panel needs freshening up
    glad to see Rochford is doing that

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »

Ya totally agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Would love to see him get more of a run out, and agree he's a great impact sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Just seen your post, awful shame. :( my son is going to be devestated when he hears that.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0506/786511-conroy-a-casualty-as-rochford-trims-mayo-squad/

Tough call but I understand the reasoning behind the cuts. Conroy has put in some good performances in the past but the injuries have made him unreliable. The Mitchels lads were always going to be fighting for places after being away for the majority of the league campaign only for their club championship to culminate in disaster. They might be able to fight their way back in in the future though, you never know.

You would imagine it's probably the end of Conroy's intercounty career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PressRun wrote:
    You would imagine it's probably the end of Conroy's intercounty career.

I'd say so alright. I'd say he gave these guys a year.
    Not surprised with the likes of Kirby, they probably need a decent break, might be exactly what they needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

km79 wrote: »

Ronaldson and Sweeney might not agree I would think.

Have they less to offer than Dillon or dare I say Andy?

Tbh, given Alan Dillon and Andy Moran's status within Mayo football, they were never going to be pushed out. They'll be allowed to walk away themselves. I highly doubt they'll play on after this year anyway.

Never pleasant but I think Stephen Rochford has got all the calls correct here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Ronaldson and Sweeney might not agree I would think.

Have they less to offer than Dillon or dare I say Andy?

Yes they've less to offer imo. None of the 4 will be getting lots of game time but Dillon and especially Andy will offer a lot more to the squad in general. If he's bringing in 6 of the u21's, then those two are good senior players to have there and leaves a nice blend.

Can't argue with any of the calls. It'll be interesting to see if any of the u21's push on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Oldtree wrote: »
    Would love to see him get more of a run out, and agree he's a great impact sub.

Well that ain't going to happen.
    He had a bit of a revival under Horan in 2012 but injury set him back again after that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement