Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

So 2 committees say no 1 says yes and minority rules ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

naughto wrote: »
    So 2 committees say no 1 says yes and minority rules ya?

Dry your eyes lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

The determination has not been published. It will be released on the website in due course. A joke of a decision which makes a mockery of the whole discipline issue.

But no point getting too wound up over things. There is a semi-final still there to be won.

Hon Mayo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Is it any wonder players have no respect for referees. jersey is beside me ready. Headband ready. Stream bookmarked. Must not forget the hang sammbichs with plenty Mayo

Edit I want to beat Dublin. full strength Dublin, even better. Makes winning all the sweeter.

dunnerc wrote: »
    Dry your eyes lad

Thanks for your reply but that doesn't answer my question

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I really think the lads can use the appeal outcome as great means of extra motivation. Definitely I believe that Dublin team would have used his absence as reason to leave nothing on the pitch,it can definitely work the other way now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

seligehgit wrote: »
    I really think the lads can use the appeal outcome as great means of extra motivation. Definitely I believe that Dublin team would have used his absence as reason to leave nothing on the pitch,it can definitely work the other way now.

Yeah it's interesting how it's worked out.

And it's been great for the Galway hurlers that all the media has been on this during the week as it lets them focus on the match. This saga has far reaching consequences!!

The determination has not been published. It will be released on the website in due course. A joke of a decision which makes a mockery of the whole discipline issue.

But no point getting too wound up over things. There is a semi-final still there to be won.

Hon Mayo!

yes and it was a joke of a decision for keane also was it not?

coybib!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

km79 wrote: »
    maybe people can stop quoting Mayo Gaa Banter page as a source now
    They wrongly said he got off Thursday night and that his appeal was denied last night !
    Anyway the Dubs have probably been planning without him and building a siege mentality . They have no excuses now ...........Keegan needs to BURY him with a shoulder early. Preferably in front of the Hill

Keegan does that and he will probably see the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Yeah keegan needs to focus on his game rather than get involved in this.

Before last weeks match, James horan and David Brady were talking about match ups and who they'd put marking who. I wonder if Mayo had planned more for Connolly starting or not starting when it comes to match ups. That could potentially have an impact on mayos preparation for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Yeah keegan needs to focus on his game rather than get involved in this.

Before last weeks match, James horan and David Brady were talking about match ups and who they'd put marking who. I wonder if Mayo had planned more for Connolly starting or not starting when it comes to match ups. That could potentially have an impact on mayos preparation for this.

That would be a poor excuse for us as up until 6 days ago they spent enough time preparing for him.
    I'm sure they've covered all basis. It will affect Dublins prep just as much/little as ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Christ lads, this is going to be spicy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

with a good hard fair shoulder

given the focus that is on Connolly I think that either he or his marker will get MOTM
    As Mayo are going to win and I'm assuming Keegan marking him in taking the plunge on Leeroy at 16\1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Don't forget that Aslan - the tenements favorites - are on beforehand so have the earplugs ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

Don't forget that Aslan - the tenements favorites - are on beforehand so have the earplugs ready.

Very childish indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

this will not hav effected mayo's preparation one bit!! Once the 2nd appeal went in, they knew he would get off. dublin weren't goin to waste their time appealin if they didn't know they would win in the end. Connolly made it clear leaving the pitch that he hasnt finished with keegan yet and there is a fair chance he won't finish this game either!!

All that would be needed to make this any spicier would be mayo to head for the hill to warm up again!!

Very childish indeed

bit much alright now in fairness
    Christy Duignan has had a tough battle and its good to see him back whether their music is to everybodys taste or not

Very childish indeed

I can live with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

km79 wrote: »
    Anyway the Dubs have probably been planning without him and building a siege mentality . They have no excuses now ...........Keegan needs to BURY him with a shoulder early. Preferably in front of the Hill

That sort of crap should be kept for a terrace in UK. Keegan just like Connolly will be under the scope from the off. I would hope there would be none of the sly belts that went on last week. Both teams are better than that.
    I think we will se more of an active role been taken by linesmen today also. So everylad needs to be on their guard.
    seligehgit wrote: »

Im not in favour of the appeal system in its current format. It is a joke.

That said I think you are right. Dublin could have thrown everything into this game without Connolly and now it could backfire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Thankfully I've experience of Mayo people in person who I find are pleasurable company to be in to dismiss this arsehole comment as that of an arsehole!

Did u ever hear such sh1te
    From the gaa regarding Connolly getting off.

At a hearing on 4 September at the Regency Hotel Airport in Dublin, a DRA Panel chaired by former Supreme Court judge Hugh O'Flaherty (with solicitors David Nohilly and Brian Rennick) upheld a claim by Diarmuid Connolly against a one match ban arising out of an infraction during the drawn Mayo v Dublin All-Ireland semi final of Sunday, August 30.

The Panel's decision related to lack of fair procedure afforded to Mr. Connolly at an early stage in the GAA's internal disciplinary process which unfairly hindered the preparations for, and presentation of, his defence. Mr Connolly was thus free to play in the replay of the above match on 5 September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

yes and it was a joke of a decision for keane also was it not?

coybib!

Thank you for agreeing with me.

I can live with that.

I'm very happy for you,keep up the good posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

naughto wrote: »
    Did u ever hear such sh1te
    From the gaa regarding Connolly getting off.

At a hearing on 4 September at the Regency Hotel Airport in Dublin, a DRA Panel chaired by former Supreme Court judge Hugh O'Flaherty (with solicitors David Nohilly and Brian Rennick) upheld a claim by Diarmuid Connolly against a one match ban arising out of an infraction during the drawn Mayo v Dublin All-Ireland semi final of Sunday, August 30.

The Panel's decision related to lack of fair procedure afforded to Mr. Connolly at an early stage in the GAA's internal disciplinary process which unfairly hindered the preparations for, and presentation of, his defence. Mr Connolly was thus free to play in the replay of the above match on 5 September.

That is a complete an utter joke.
    I wonder how long it took them to dream up that excuse.

Why are we incapable of handing out punishment in this country, be in sport or in our legal courts.
    That is what you get when you have a bunch of lawyers involved I guess.

The GAA appeals heirarchy and the HQ is basically hanging the refs out to dry.

I am not allowed discuss …

Thankfully I've experience of Mayo people in person who I find are pleasurable company to be in to dismiss this arsehole comment as that of an arsehole!

If you can take digs at the Saw Doctors and us out 'wesht' you shouldn't whine at the return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

If you can take digs at the Saw Doctors and us out 'wesht' you shouldn't whine at the return.

What was that into response to? Similar tripe to above, go look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Stop trying to claim a Galway band. Find your own!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

jmayo wrote: »
    That is a complete an utter joke.
    I wonder how long it took them to dream up that excuse.

Why are we incapable of handing out punishment in this country, be in sport or in our legal courts.
    That is what you get when you have a bunch of lawyers involved I guess.

The GAA appeals heirarchy and the HQ is basically hanging the refs out to dry.

Well why did the CRC and CHC cut corners? The DRA is independent body that look at the facts of what happened.

Who knows what the technicals were but they could have been that they used certain rules/reasons to allow the 6 other successful appeals, they could have said it's not the first time you've got send off - which has nothing to do with the red card in question.

Maybe they saw it as Connolly and thought we'll show him.

But right or wrong is it not better that the best players are on the pitch and the reason for mayo winning can't be put down to Connolly missing - when other days other refs might easily have given reds to Mayo. I said it before (and don't want to get dragged into it again) but had the ref given reds/blacks for certain incidences last Sunday - Mayo would have been worse off for the personality that it would have affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Paulzx wrote: »
    Stop trying to claim a Galway band. Find your own!!:)

Funny one that one, a few lads from Tuam decided to pander to those North of the border to make a few pound, and have been profiting ever since. A very very easy song to take off aswell when you're in slagging mode :)

LeoB wrote: »
    That sort of crap should be kept for a terrace in UK. Keegan just like Connolly will be under the scope from the off. I would hope there would be none of the sly belts that went on last week. Both teams are better than that.
    I think we will se more of an active role been taken by linesmen today also. So everylad needs to be on their guard.

Im not in favour of the appeal system in its current format. It is a joke.

That said I think you are right. Dublin could have thrown everything into this game without Connolly and now it could backfire.

what sort of crap? I said a shoulder ? a good hard shoulder can lift the crowd as much as a score . Shouldering is still part of the game last I checked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I thought Kinsella s name was familiar.. He reffed us against Cork in the league , March 29th. Unremarkable as I remember. A good thing I suppose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hoping ye win today in spite of your horrific "banter" pages and Facebook groups. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

naughto wrote:
    Did u ever hear such sh1te From the gaa regarding Connolly getting off.

I agree with you, and the GAA really let themselves down regularly in this area.
    But from a 'fair play' perspective I think it would be wrong if Connolly was not allowed play in this game. Why rule him out and not Cooper(filthy tackle), McMahon, Killian O'Connor et al. Connolly did not deserve to be a scapegoat on this occasion.

I agree with you, and the GAA really let themselves down regularly in this area.
    But from a 'fair play' perspective I think it would be wrong if Connolly was not allowed play in this game. Why rule him out and not Cooper(filthy tackle), McMahon, Killian O'Connor et al. Connolly did not deserve to be a scapegoat on this occasion.

Having him play today is going to cause holy war on the pitch it will not take much to set it off.
    If he was banned would it take the sting out of it.

Did the dubs name there team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭newportlad

Do you think will be many Mayo fans in the Nally stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

naughto wrote:
    Having him play today is going to cause holy war on the pitch it will not take much to set it off. If he was banned would it take the sting out of it.

Not anymore than having copper, mcmahon and o'connor on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Hoping ye win today in spite of your horrific "banter" pages and Facebook groups. Best of luck!

On behalf of Mayo, I apologise for that banter page, a site ran by chimps.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Although it makes things more difficult, i am happy that Connolly got off. The Keane decision really did create a poor precedent which puts any red card with any provocation at all in line for a successful appeal. Connolly's previous or brushes with the law in the real world or even his general angry-looking demeanour when on the pitch or the fact is that he is a Dub shouldnt make any difference to any of that.

The GAA need to draw a line under this season after it is over and make a clear announcement about red cards and suspensions. The emphasis on provocation in recent decisions needs to be revoked and moved away from with no ambiguity. Raising hands to an opponent and striking is a red and a ban. A strict liability offence ie no defence to it. End of.

As for today's game, i think Mayo will win handily. O'Keefe in today's Times captures my view on it perfectly. The last 10 minutes exposed the Dublin team's mental frailties and i think Mayo will go for the jugular today. Mayo minus 3 is 4/1, i jumped on it.

Kalyke wrote: »
    I thought Kinsella s name was familiar.. He reffed us against Cork in the league , March 29th. Unremarkable as I remember. A good thing I suppose?

It is of course but I would be surprised f you meant it like that.

Anyway great game so far great scores and great to see a bit of sportsmanship on the field.

A lot of the players on both look drained. Mentally they must all be shattered/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Well it was a better game than last week and the better team won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

The wait goes on!

Up Kerry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We lost that one. Devastated. Again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

The curse goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

blueser wrote: »
    The curse goes on.

No curse, bad game plan. Should've pushed ahead when we were 4 points up. They took off all the men that were paying well, Parsons, Barry Moran. Couldn't help SOS but they left us with no midfield and completely disorganised

I could not see that coming. I got some stick in work for backing Mayo.

Maybe the crap from last week took more out of them but when they went 4 points up I thought a few Dublin lads were not at the races at all, Mayo were toying with them and I expected Mayo to get another goal, some Dublin lads didn't look interested or worried and I and my wife felt Mayo were home and hosed. But it seems or looks like Dublin never panicked.

Mayo could not inject anymore into the game from about the 55th minute they looked shattered.

Full credit to both sets of players. Irrespective of the result we got some terrific scores from both sets of players. Nice to se them mixing on the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

To say I'm heartbroken is an understatement. Was puzzled by the Moran substitution, maybe he was injured. Losing SOS was a big one as well I thought.

Can we all chip in a few quid and pay for the the 2 Hanley's to come home for a year or 2?!! 400k should do it I'd say!!!!

Leaving Kevin moloughlin on that long was shocking from the side line.
    4points up and to concead 3 goals in 10 mins and they where soft goals it's like we forgot how to defend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

No curse, bad game plan. Should've pushed ahead when we were 4 points up. They took off all the men that were paying well, Parsons, Barry Moran. Couldn't help SOS but they left us with no midfield and completely disorganised

This is it here. To start delaying tactics so early in the second half was so silly.

Always felt like it was going to bite ye in the ass.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement