Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What do lads think of what Moran and Dillon will add to the team this year? Personally they hold a lot of experience and maturity BUT I do think they are past it, harsh as it might sound after all they've given us, but neither will get a starting berth so "could" be taking the place of younger players who could gain so much from been involved.

Just curious as to what other lads think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

yop wrote: »
    What do lads think of what Moran and Dillon will add to the team this year? Personally they hold a lot of experience and maturity BUT I do think they are past it, harsh as it might sound after all they've given us, but neither will get a starting berth so "could" be taking the place of younger players who could gain so much from been involved.

Just curious as to what other lads think.

Had this discussion in ennis actually with my friend
    I'd keep just one not both
    And it would prob be Andy .Think he can Make more of an impact off the bench than Dillon now and is obviously bigger/more physical . I think he could have a role to play this summer off the bench. Don't think Dillon has to be honest BUT maybe management and himself are happy to keep him training away with panel but not make match day panel ?
    As for Conroy I don't think he has made much of a positive impact off the bench over the last few years bar one game .
    He put up a nice tweet earlier saying it was the end of an era and he has met some great people etc
    So I'd say that's that for him .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I think Conroy should have been given one last chance, when he was on his game he was a handful for any defender. He done well against Kerry, in Limerick, when coming off the bench. He could have been a very decent option against tired backs. I don't have any complaints with the Castlebar lads, if they had won the All-Ireland and a few players had turned in big performances on the day, then things could have been very different. You could definitely argue cases for Ronaldson and Mikey Sweeney, both talented footballers. I think what it came down to was their size and the fact that the likes of Regan and Loftus have come through. It will be very interesting to see what line up Rochford goes with when it comes down to business.
    Alan Dillion is fair comment, but he won't be starting, he could easily give a good last quarter and think of the experience he brings to the rest of the panel. I also think it is mad that posters are questioning Andy Moran's place in the panel. Think back to the impact he made coming off the bench against Roscommon in '14 when we were on the ropes, he turned it around for us. He kicked the equalising point against Dublin in last year's semi-final to force a replay. He made Cillian O'Connors goal in that replay and offered us something different, he couldn't have done much more. Andy still has a part to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Ya, I agree, Andy is still well worth his place. It's hard to know with Alan - we haven't seen enough of him recently to judge. However, it would have been a massive story if he had been cut and not what we needed heading into championship.

What you're really looking for is players who can come on with 15 or 20 minutes left and make a big impact. Conroy and Sweeney have both been given this chance in the past in big games and didn't take it. Andy has come off the bench a few times in recent years and almost always makes a big impact. Sometimes it comes down to small margins in big games - if Sweeney had dummied his man and kicked the winning point against Dublin in the drawn game last year the story could have been very different for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It's a squad that they're picking. I wouldn't be concerned with the minutes they'll play on the pitch but rather the input they'll have over the next few months on the rest of the squad.
    Alan and Andy will have a big role to play off the pitch. 6 new young faces will benefit from having the two of them around.

I still think both could do a decent job as subs but I think the real value is having them around outside of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mayo GAA can confirm that Ballintubber GAA's Cillian O'Connor will be the Mayo Senior Football team captain for 2016. Mayo open their Connacht GAA campaign away to London on May 29th.

Delighted for Cillian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

seligehgit wrote: »
    Mayo GAA can confirm that Ballintubber GAA's Cillian O'Connor will be the Mayo Senior Football team captain for 2016. Mayo open their Connacht GAA campaign away to London on May 29th.

Delighted for Cillian.

Delighted for Cillian and Ballintubber.

Sam McGuire in Corley's on the night of 20th Sep 2016, and Kate Kelly's the next night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Delighted for Cillian.

He was always a wise head on young shoulders. Well deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Sam McGuire in Corley's on the night of 20th Sep 2016, and Kate Kelly's the next night :)
    I meet you there fr tod

• Advertisement

Father Tod I never stop dreaming of the Boardsies meeting up in Corley's on such a wondrous occasion.

Ladies struggling to handle the strength and power of Cork,Cora is producing the goods as per usual.She has got to be the greatest lady footballer of all time IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Ladies struggling to handle the strength and power of Cork,Cora is producing the goods as per usual.She has got to be the greatest lady footballer of all time IMO.

Has she ever passed a ball in her life? If she could add that dimension to her play she would be a much better footballer. For all the great scores she has got, she has been turned over umpteen times.

Mayo kicking the game away.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Has she ever passed a ball in her life? If she could add that dimension to her play she would be a much better footballer. For all the great scores she has got, she has been turned over umpteen times.

And to add to that, referees tend to give her frees if the defence look sideways at her. That one there was a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

So much possession and yet so little to show for it.

• Advertisement

The Cork number 15 is a class act.

A very enjoyable contest.Great effort by the ladies coming up a tad short against a team who were that bit more clinical up front.

Hard luck to the ladies. Cork were probably just that little bit smarter in possession and took their chances well. It's been a great spring for the Mayo ladies all the same and hopefully they can capitalize off it for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

robbiezero wrote: »

Maybe it won't be a disaster when she retires.Will force other players to step up to the plate and as a result grow in confidence.Alot of great build up play by mayo yesterday but but poor execution and decision making in front of the posts,cost them.

gigantic09 wrote: »
    Maybe it won't be a disaster when she retires.Will force other players to step up to the plate and as a result grow in confidence.Alot of great build up play by mayo yesterday but but poor execution and decision making in front of the posts,cost them.

I've seen that Mayo team play 4/5 times in the last year or so (on the telly) and I have thought the same every single time. Last night was actually the most effective I have seen her in a while, but in the latter stages of the championship she won't get away with taking as much out of the ball.
    Even so I still thought that for all the scores she got last night, it wasn't enough return for the amount of ball she was on.
    She draws so many players to her, if she could add a passing dimension to her game, it would really add potency to that forward line instead of making them so one-dimensional and easy to defend against. 10 points was a very poor return for all the ball they had last night. It's not like she needs to be a one man band she has some very good players around her in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Something to get us hyped for the months ahead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBGp-QUdVg8

That video is actually pulling at my heart strings! I don't know what I'd do if Mayo win the All-Ireland!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Barlett wrote: »
    Something to get us hyped for the months ahead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBGp-QUdVg8

That's a class video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Well that ain't going to happen.
    He had a bit of a revival under Horan in 2012 but injury set him back again after that.

If memory serves he scored a lovely goal against Monaghan last year (2015) in Mchale as a late sub, and was brought on a few times around then, each time making an difference imo. I just like the effort he puts in when he comes on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

He was always a wise head on young shoulders. Well deserved.

Can't say I'm over the moon about his appointment on a purely practical level.

The guy has enough pressure to deal with as free taker and leading the forward line.

Was any reason given for removing it from Keith Higgins?

I don't think the role suited Keith Higgins at all. He was one who didn't like the pressure that came with it.

Cillian is a very obvious and good choice for captain, imo. Nerves of steel and he is clearly a leader in the group on and off the field. I think he'd consider the role a privilege and is a character who enjoys responsibility.

http://irishpost.co.uk/allocation-of-london-v-mayo-tickets-to-gaa-club-members-nearing-completion/

An article on London v Mayo tickets - apologies if it has already been posted. There is a mention of more tickets going on general sale this week or a pay at the gate setup on the day. The second option could be carnage if more than 3,000 people turn up and a load are left outside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Do London need a bigger venue for this game ?

Its a real pity if everyone that wants to see the game cannot get to see it.

Or is it just hype ? !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

blinding wrote: »
    Do London need a bigger venue for this game ?

Have they access to one? I've never heard of them playing anywhere but Ruislip...

Have they access to one? I've never heard of them playing anywhere but Ruislip...
    Probably not on a GAA pitch/stadium but maybe somewhere could be found.

• Advertisement

Yes I think a few sizeable stadiums in the London area should be freed up after this weekend.:P

Yes I think a few sizeable stadiums in the London area should be freed up after this weekend.:P
    :P ; Aren't soccer pitches generally a bit small for GAA .

A Rugby pitch with a big touch and goal area (try scoring area) would be bigger and maybe big enough.

I suppose Twickenham would be a bit over the Top;)

:P ; Aren't soccer pitches generally a bit small for GAA .

A Rugby pitch with a big touch and goal area (try scoring area) would be bigger and maybe big enough.

I suppose Twickenham would be a bit over the Top;)

Maybe the GAA should get onto their 'broadcasting partners' in Sky and see if they can swing a glamorous venue for the game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

When Ruislip closes for redevelopment I think that they might be using the London Irish rugby training grounds for league matches. Doubt it would have a bigger capacity than Ruislip currently has.

I see Brian Reape has been brought through from the U21. Did he play in the final? I'm a bit surprised Irwin didn't get the call.

No he didn't play in the final,TBH I'm not overly surprised Liam Irwin hasn't been brought in this year.He's a bit to go to be worthy of same.He most certainly has a potential future at inter county level... Excellent placekicker,very sweet ciotog and bags of ability.He possibly needs a winter of strength and conditioning.I do worry about his lack of mobility,he won't be afforded the same latitude at senior level.Space is at a premium.

By the same rationale I'm a bit surprised Brian Reape has been called in at this early stage in his career.Best of luck to him,hope he makes a big impact.

Why are people suggesting that Mayo are the best placed team to beat Dublin ?

Jimmy McGuinness wrote about it in his IT column this week, without giving much evidence other than “they have to have a game plan”

Thoams O’ Se mentioned it during the RTE championship launch on Sunday, saying “but if any team is to stop the all-conquering side, Connacht kingpins Mayo might just be ready to end their wait desperate wait for Sam Maguire.”

And more than a few knowledgeable football fans, not the ‘cute hoor’ types, down here in Kerry suggest Mayo are the best placed team to beat Dublin.

The question is why ?

Is it because they ran them the closest in 2015 ?

Is it because Kerry were exposed as being old and slow in the league final ?

I personally believe, and I have said it here many times, that Mayo are well capable of getting to the final all other things being equal, but I’m not sure they will win it

The day would have to go very right for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Jimmy McGuinness wrote about it in his IT column this week, without giving much evidence other than “they have to have a game plan”

Thoams O’ Se mentioned it during the RTE championship launch on Sunday, saying “but if any team is to stop the all-conquering side, Connacht kingpins Mayo might just be ready to end their wait desperate wait for Sam Maguire.”

And more than a few knowledgeable football fans, not the ‘cute hoor’ types, down here in Kerry suggest Mayo are the best placed team to beat Dublin.

The question is why ?

I personally believe, and I have said it here many times, that Mayo are well capable of getting to the final all other things being equal, but I’m not sure they will win it

On the basis of the last League-Championship-League cycle... I can't see past Dublin at all and can only see Tyrone being capable of toppling us.

That's where we stand on May 11th.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Only copped the semi final, if we beat London, against Galway is at 7pm on Saturday evening! :) Thats a change.

• Advertisement

The question is why ?

Of Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal and Kerry, I think Kerry are least likely to beat the Dubs and Mayo probably the most likely. By most likely I mean have a slim chance. I cannot see the Kerry team beating that Dublin at all bar major changes in selection.

Its unusual to say this but Kerry don't have that many dimensions to their attack. Their ideal style of play is to be able to give quick kick passes to their inside forwards and run lovely angles off them to take a pass if required. When the kick passes are cut off they struggle. In the second half of the league final they really looked to be out of options in attack other than the lump in the Donaghy which Dublin are well able to deal with now.
    What they lack is pace from behind the ball carrier.
    They are slow in midfield and their half back line do not attack much and even then I'm not sure how quick they are. From what I saw of them in the league Marc O'Se was their most attacking defender which says it all.
    Mayo have the high ball option at full forward, the kick pass option into the likes of Cillian O Connor, or they can carry the ball at pace from deep with the likes of Keegan and Barrett etc. So they would seem to me to have more options to trouble Dublin, it was especially noticeable in the drawn game last year how much they troubled Dublin when they ran at them in the last 15 minutes.
    Of course Dublin have all those options in spades apart from the high ball into the full forward which is debateable as to how much use it is.
    Jack McCaffrey is a big loss to their attacking from deep at pace tactics, but they still have plenty attack minded defenders.

Only copped the semi final, if we beat London, against Galway is at 7pm on Saturday evening! :) Thats a change.

Yes - Sky have the rights to it, so it's a Saturday evening game. It should be on the list when Sky announce details of their coverage in the next few days.

On the basis of the last League-Championship-League cycle... I can't see past Dublin at all and can only see Tyrone being capable of toppling us.

That's where we stand on May 11th.

I'd tend not to agree with you on Tyrone, but that is a discussion for the general championship thread rather than here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Yes - Sky have the rights to it, so it's a Saturday evening game. It should be on the list when Sky announce details of their coverage in the next few days.

I thought Setanta had the evening match's?

mayo.mick wrote: »
    I thought Setanta had the evening match's?

League only, not championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'd tend not to agree with you on Tyrone, but that is a discussion for the general championship thread rather than here.

That it is... to the General!

• Advertisement

On Mayo, I would imagine it's coming from the need in the media to create a compelling narrative around the championship by building up credible opposition to Dublin's chances. Because Mayo ran them close last year and Kerry took a hammering in the league final, we therefore become the team supposedly best placed to beat them. For what it's worth, I think Mayo are able to match Dublin fitness-wise over 70 minutes. Obviously there's more to beating Dublin than that though and, tbh, I don't know where we are on other fronts. The league didn't tell us a whole lot. Hopeful as always though!

As for Tyrone - I like this Tyrone team, I was impressed by them during the league. They are capable of taking a scalp and I don't think there's a manager in the country who would relish the opportunity to have a go at the Dubs more than Mickey Harte. I still think they have a bit to prove though before they can be talked about as the only team capable of beating Dublin. They could do with winning Ulster first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

PressRun wrote: »
    That video is actually pulling at my heart strings! I don't know what I'd do if Mayo win the All-Ireland!

I remember listening to Brady live on Newstalk when he made that speech... and all off a sudden, something got caught in my eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Mayo ran them close last year.
    Dublin lost two All Stars since.
    Mayo have a couple of forwards that added to their attack so they appear stronger since.
    That's it really imo they are some facts the rest is regurgitated opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

PressRun wrote: »
    On Mayo, I would imagine it's coming from the need in the media to create a compelling narrative around the championship by building up credible opposition to Dublin's chances. Because Mayo ran them close last year and Kerry took a hammering in the league final, we therefore become the team supposedly best placed to beat them. For what it's worth, I think Mayo are able to match Dublin fitness-wise over 70 minutes. Obviously there's more to beating Dublin than that though and, tbh, I don't know where we are on other fronts. The league didn't tell us a whole lot. Hopeful as always though!

As for Tyrone - I like this Tyrone team, I was impressed by them during the league. They are capable of taking a scalp and I don't think there's a manager in the country who would relish the opportunity to have a go at the Dubs more than Mickey Harte. I still think they have a bit to prove though before they can be talked about as the only team capable of beating Dublin. They could do with winning Ulster first.

Tyrone played div 2 football this yr they need to be with the big boys in div one just look how quickly the rossies faded this yr when the tough got going.even though they though they would win the World Cup.
    I don't see Tyrone being at the business end this yr same as the rossies they are building but it I'll take another yr if no two to get them over the line.
    On the mayo being the only team to push the dubs we will go close again this yr put iam thinking it I'll be the upcoming un21team that will be lifting sam in the next yr or two. Now I hope iam wrong and that we win it this yr cos I don't think I can take us loosing another semi/final to be honest

Edit it looks like we will be playing man city this yr and not the dubs

Nice change from the norm,beats Sunday gridlock in Salthill anyday especially if the weather is half decent.Will SKYGO have a playback of the game???Bit presumptious of moi,there's a match in London to be won first.

Quite like the Man city..sorry Dublin jersey Naughto!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement