Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Major shock in the Senior Championship, Hollymount 3-3 Ballintubber 0-11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Major shock in the Senior Championship, Hollymount 3-3 Ballintubber 0-11

Wouldn't consider it a major shock at all. Hollymount-Carramore are a very decent outfit. From what I hear they were the better team throughout and should have won by more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Wouldn't consider it a major shock at all. Hollymount-Carramore are a very decent outfit. From what I hear they were the better team throughout and should have won by more.

I'm sorry but that is a huge shock, Ballintubber haven't lost to anyone other than Castlebar or Breaffy in about 5 years, and Holly just promoted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Stoner wrote: »
    Mayo ran them close last year.
    Dublin lost two All Stars since.
    Mayo have a couple of forwards that added to their attack so they appear stronger since.
    That's it really imo they are some facts the rest is regurgitated opinion.

Exactly + Mayo clearly had management issues (regardless of rights and wrongs of it, issues existed). I'd suspect that this years management team are better equipped than last years to beat Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm sorry but that is a huge shock, Ballintubber haven't lost to anyone other than Castlebar or Breaffy in about 5 years, and Holly just promoted

I may have had my tinted glasses on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Exactly + Mayo clearly had management issues (regardless of rights and wrongs of it, issues existed). I'd suspect that this years management team are better equipped than last years to beat Dublin

I'm not sure management had as much to do with the replay loss to Dublin as some would like to make out.

Seamus O Shea got himself black carded, Keegan, I think, dropped a shot into the keepers hands that would have put them 4 up, and by all accounts Barry Moran was dead on his feet by the time of his withdrawal.

So down two important men in the middle Mayo were over run by Dublin's superior squad depth, just like happened to Kerry last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I'm not sure management had as much to do with the replay loss to Dublin as some would like to make out.

Seamus O Shea got himself black carded, Keegan, I think, dropped a shot into the keepers hands that would have put them 4 up, and by all accounts Barry Moran was dead on his feet by the time of his withdrawal.

So down two important men in the middle Mayo were over run by Dublin's superior squad depth, just like happened to Kerry last month.

You could also say they persisted with AOS at 14 when we could all see it didn't work the first day. Despite Andy, what subs made impacts? In fact their lack of activity from the sideline was astonishing. Yes Dublin's depth won it for them but they actually made their luck by running their bench early. Holmes and Connelly on the other hand brought on Mark Ronaldson in the dying minutes when the game was up - 'that outta do it'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

You could also say they persisted with AOS at 14 when we could all see it didn't work the first day. Despite Andy, what subs made impacts? In fact their lack of activity from the sideline was astonishing. Yes Dublin's depth won it for them but they actually made their luck by running their bench early. Holmes and Connelly on the other hand brought on Mark Ronaldson in the dying minutes when the game was up - 'that outta do it'...

Yep. This. No plan B. Played Vaughan injured in the replay, some very curious substitutions and perhaps a lack of depth in the panel as far as midfielders were concerned - I believe Jason Gibbons was not in the panel?. Could have done with him as a sub in the replay. As for Keegan dropping a shot short, he was being well marshalled by Cian O'Sullivan while taking that shot if I remember correctly. Keegan still outscored his opposite number from play over both games, so didn't do too bad. Not sure why people keep referring to that dropped shot. as somehow being a point in that somehow lost the game for us. I remember there being more than that dropping short that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Blackjack wrote: »
    Yep. This. No plan B. Played Vaughan injured in the replay, some very curious substitutions and perhaps a lack of depth in the panel as far as midfielders were concerned - I believe Jason Gibbons was not in the panel?. Could have done with him as a sub in the replay. As for Keegan dropping a shot short, he was being well marshalled by Cian O'Sullivan while taking that shot if I remember correctly. Keegan still outscored his opposite number from play over both games, so didn't do too bad. Not sure why people keep referring to that dropped shot. as somehow being a point in that somehow lost the game for us. I remember there being more than that dropping short that day.

If your 4 points up in a game with 15 minutes to go and lose by 7, it's nonsense to blame on one shot dropped short. If thats all it took for a team to collapse like that, they hardly deserve to win the game anyway.
    I think it was more physical exhaustion, key players lost to black card, tiredness etc, sitting back too early to protect a lead and changing their style of play and losing momentum, but the lazy analysis always likes to point to one simple turning point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think he didn't drop the shot short, he was partially blocked by a well executed last minute tackle unless I'm going mad.
    B Moran was disappointing as was Parsons SOS was a huge loss.

The first game was a draw, it has to be recognised that some level of messing occurred between the two games regarding mayo. The recovery was not like Dublins, never mind the other stuff we heard went on, that won't happen again IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Yeah, a lot of emphasis seems to be placed on Leroy's missed shot. There's nothing to suggest that things would have panned out any differently if he'd gotten the shot over. There were plenty of other problems in how we played, problems that were evident in the drawn game and went unaddressed for the replay. That coupled with black card and what seemed like poor enough recovery from the drawn match made it all the more difficult. In any case, as most people probably know by now, there was, by all accounts, plenty of other stuff going on behind the scenes that makes it all the more surprising that they even made to a semi-final, let alone pushed Dublin to a replay.

That's all in the past now anyway and I'm looking forward to the coming summer. The Mayo News mentioned a few players carrying some knocks, which will hopefully be cleared up before the London match. I'm keen to get another look at Evan Regan too.

Stoner wrote: »
    As just posted earlier he didn't drop a shot short, he was partially blocked by a very well executed last minute tackle unless I'm going mad.
    B Moran was disappointing as was Parsons SOS was a huge loss.

The first game was a draw, it has to be recognised that some level of messing occurred between the two games regarding mayo. The recovery was not like Dublins, never mind the other stuff we heard went on, that won't happen again IMO.

I only saw it once and that was live on the day from a good bit back so I'll not argue with you that it was blocked/deflected.

But losing Moran and O Shea were huge blows.

To beat Dublin a team has to be at their absolute physical peek, to be able to deal with the fresh players that Dublin can bring on, if you can weather that storm you may just be able to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I only saw it once and that was live on the day from a good bit back so I'll not argue with you that it was blocked/deflected.

But losing Moran and O Shea were huge blows.

To beat Dublin a team has to be at their absolute physical peek, to be able to deal with the fresh players that Dublin can bring on, if you can weather that storm you may just be able to win it.

Didn't John Casey confirm that Parsons played the second game with an injury (possibly a broken finger) as well, which limited his impact? We were ravaged with problems by the last 20 minutes of the replay and it showed. If a team is to take Dublin out this year it'll need to be the first day I think. The short turnaround coupled with Dublin's stronger panel depth, access to recovery facilities and geographical advantage (all based in the same city so easier to meet up more often at short notice for analysis and strategy sessions) makes them practically unbeatable in replays I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Interesting follow up article in the Mayo News ranking the top 40 clubs in the county.The Mitchels reign supreme in spite of their All Ireland heartbreak.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/27812-castlebar-mitchels-move-on-up

The Mayo ladies are Connaught champions...

Mayo 4-7 Galway 3-9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

seligehgit wrote: »
    The Mayo ladies are Connaught champions...

Mayo 4-7 Galway 3-9.

That was the U16s. Fair play to them.

statto25 wrote: »
    That was the U16s. Fair play to them.

Thanks statto25,yes it's great news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Didn't John Casey confirm that Parsons played the second game with an injury (possibly a broken finger)
    Yes I heard that, would be serious enough for him too, a lot of his strengths involve striking the ball when turning it over following diagonal runs into the tackle, he's a bit of a GAA David Batty IMO, he's very effective when in his game, strapping the fingers together to help fielding high balls wouldn't really be enough as it's not where he adds value IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

London County Board have confirmed that ALL tickets for the Mayo game have now been sold.

I hope that there aren't too many here without a ticket but I suspect that there may be a few :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Mayo-London ticket up for grabs on the weekly quiz Eir GAA website. :D:D
    Just register and answer 5 questions correctly to be in with a chance. Get 5 goes to get 3 right.

They also have predictions for the championship section with AI tickets as a prize, last year anyways.

http://gaa.eir.ie/

Did anybody make it up to the open night?Totally slipped my mind.

Didn't make it unfortunately, had to work. Nice one for the kids though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Did anybody make it up to the open night?Totally slipped my mind.

Was there all right. Fair good crowd there despite the poor weather. Few kids there too!! Fair play to all the lads. Specially Robbie, he was late getting there due to travelling back from Dublin. Still came out to meet all the kids and insisted on getting seflies with them all!

Yes I saw some pictures on Facebook,the lads excelled themselves as always in their dealings with all comers.

There were some nice pictures on Twitter too. Honestly, I've never heard a bad word about the lads and how they treat the young fans. Every one of them always seems to have loads of time for the little ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

RIP to Joe McDonagh,
    As a kid this gave me goose bumps and even still the situation in which it was sung is spine tingling.....maybe someday we will have the opportunity for a rendition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Connacht Junior champions.
    Mayo 1-11.
    Galway 0-12.

Leitrim 0-11 - 1-21 Roscommon

Interesting to see the highlights on The Sunday Game.

Not too surprised by that result for Roscommon, tbh. They had to do the job today and prove a point, and they did that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Nicky Rackard semi..... Mayo 1-18 - 2-11 Donegal ... . Armagh in the final!! Well done Mayo

• Advertisement

Is there many here going to London at the weekend?

I'll be heading over on Friday morning

mayo.mick wrote: »
    I'll be heading over on Friday morning

Have a blast!:)

Some injury concerns... Diarmuid O Connor appears to have been ruled out,Andy Moran and Chris Barrett struggling.Doubts re Seamie O Shea and Tom Parsons.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/oconnor-heads-mayo-injury-list-ahead-of-london-trip-34740876.html

Some injury concerns... Diarmuid O Connor appears to have been ruled out,Andy Moran and Chris Barrett struggling.Doubts re Seamie O Shea and Tom Parsons.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/oconnor-heads-mayo-injury-list-ahead-of-london-trip-34740876.html

With all due respect to London if it was any other game and we had that sort of injury list I'd be worried.

Hopefully they will be back for June 18th and there won't be any others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Better now than in a month's time, that's for sure. Dying to see what effect Cillian might have on the team as captain, always thought Higgins was a good one but Cillian definitely seems more vocal and his ability to perform under pressure sets a good example for all the lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

cocoman wrote: »

Flights booked and hotel sorted cant go now sick is not the work was looking forward to the beer and the junior b game on Sunday.
    110 euro to change a name on the Ryanair flight is madness

Nothing wrong with giving Diarmuid a break, imo. Though o hope that all those who are injured will still be able to play some part in the training camp the week after the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

cocoman wrote: »

Heading Friday myself. It came around quick!

Heading Friday myself. It came around quick!

Myself and 3 others going on Saturday morning so should be a good weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Is the game on the telebox? I know RTE have the clash of Armagh and Cavan. With the game on in Irish TV Park in Ruislip you would think would be showing it but just checked the guide there and they dont appear to be. Thoughts anyone?

Ascii wrote: »
    Is the game on the telebox? I know RTE have the clash of Armagh and Cavan. With the game on in Irish TV Park in Ruislip you would think would be showing it but just checked the guide there and they dont appear to be. Thoughts anyone?

London GAA have said that Irish tv cannot show the game as RTE and Sky have the rights to championship match's.

Anyone willing to periscope it?

Ascii wrote: »

I doubt it will be shown. Maybe highlights on Sunday Game. Live radio coverage on Mid West.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭jeffred

http://www.mayonews.ie/news/27866-mayo-game-on-tv

This was in the Mayo News saying Irish Tv were trying to get the broadcasting rights but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Poor full back line bar Higgins but then again he has to give them all a run

Brendan Harrison had a good league and was one of our better players throughout that competition, imo. We haven't seen a whole lot of Kevin Keane so far this year, so I'm willing to wait and see how he gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

With all due respect to London if it was any other game and we had that sort of injury list I'd be worried.

Yeah, cos it would be inconceivable for a Mayo team with a hotshot new manager to run into trouble in Ruislip...

• Advertisement

Yeah, cos it would be inconceivable for a Mayo team with a hotshot new manager to run into trouble in Ruislip...

In 2016 it certainly would be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement