Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Safe journey to all travelling this weekend. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

It is a shame that the game isn't likely to be broadcast live on Irish TV.I know RTE and SKY have the broadcasting rights for the championship but in the context of the emigrant population in the UK and interest in the game,it would be great to see a live broadcast or streaming of the game facilitated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Londoc

If anyone has tickets for tomorrow in london, we are looking for 4? Please message me. Will travel anywhere in london. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Looking like its going to be around 22 degrees in London tomorrow with Humidity @ 66%. whewwwww

caldo1.gif~c200

The lads are on their way!

13315322_1101205823272398_5093721186059395116_n.jpg?oh=e8892666752e927464ed464fc9505e6e&oe=57E0F0CE

Is Barry Moran injured?No sign of him in the squad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

He is injured apparently, but I would have thought he'd head over with them anyway since the training camp is next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Stick on Irish TV on free Sat .

I don't know what I'm watching but it looks likes an Irish Pub in London and they are running through the London mayo game.
    Some guy is giving a rendition , full blast
    Edit nearly over now, the Ballad of John Joyce is seeing us out.

I wonder if they'll have the game tomorrow. They have some alternative GAA footage on that channel all the same.

Further edit.

The next program is about Mayo GAA too.
    About the last man from mayo to win an all Ireland , but it was for Louth.
    Dan O'Neill

Lol he left the Mayo team due to a barney about expenses. The good old GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Stoner wrote: »
    Stick on Irish TV on free Sat .

I don't know what I'm watching but it looks likes an Irish Pub in London and they are running through the London mayo game.
    Some guy is giving a rendition , full blast
    Edit nearly over now, the Ballad of John Joyce is seeing us out.

I wonder if they'll have the game tomorrow. They have some alternative GAA footage on that channel all the same.

Further edit.

The next program is about Mayo GAA too.
    About the last man from mayo to win an all Ireland , but it was from Louth.
    Dan O'Neill

Lol he left the Mayo team due to a barney about expenses. The good old GAA.

Irish TV is great for that sort of stuff.

They do a live All Ireland preview show from both counties in the days leading up to the final and also cover the winning trams homecoming.

Unfortunately they don't have the rights to the game as its a championships game.

Pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Thers rumours that some of the rossie players have walked off the panel

The daly bothers and murtagh all doing the j1 in America

naughto wrote: »
    Thers rumours that some of the rossie players have walked off the panel

The daly bothers and murtagh all doing the j1 in America

Much and all as the prospect of Roscommon imploding once again titillates me, I don't think this is the thread for it.

I see you posted something in the Roscommon thread, why not add to it and get them talking over there, after the Mayo game of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Anyone know of any periscope broadcasts of the game today?

Black card for Cillian O Connor.

Black card for Cillian O Connor.

Good opportunity for Conor Loftus now.

Mid West sound very confused about what Cillian was black carded for. They also mentioned that they don't expect Higgins to play corner back for the year. Kind of confirms what people have been talking about recently.

Conor Loftus gets his goal. Good on him. Sounded a wee bit nervy at the beginning, but starting to settle. London having a nightmare with the kickouts.

Good opportunity for Conor Loftus now.

Goal and a point for Loftus now

Moving along nicely now.

Would love to be watching this. Sounds like there's some really nice build up play involving a number of individuals.

Rare goal from Doherty, his 13th apparently.

2-6 to 0-2. Practice now.

It could be a cricket score at this rate.

Mayo 2-6 London 0-2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Blackjack wrote: »
    Rare goal from Doherty, his 13th apparently.

He made me a lot of money a few summers back
    He was on a good run of goals so I backed him FGS every game and he delivered a few times :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Good stuff. Hopefully keep that wides total low from now on

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Good stuff. Hopefully keep that wides total low from now on

Agreed,8 wides is quite high!

Wides are chronic. Really need to cut down on that. It does sound like there's work being done on building up moves though, just need to perfect the finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

3 points on the bounce for London and now 9 Mayo wides. Regen looks to be flying though

Evan Regan appears to be the stand alone candidate for MOTM even at this early stage.Great to see Zippy will lining out for the hurlers against Armagh in the Nicky Rackard final next Saturday.It's live on TG4 to boot!:D

Record 133rd appearance for the great Andy Moran.

Sounds like there's still plenty of work to do. Going into a training camp with all those injuries (sounds like we can add Robbie Hennelly to that list) isn't ideal.

2-16 to 0-9 to Mayo final score.

13 odd wides from Mayo.

I know of was always a game that they were going to win but they could do without the bad wides, speculative shots on goal is what David Heaney just described them as on the radio.

Robbie Hennely was injured in the last few minutes, sounded bad enough but he finished the game.

• Advertisement

Hope he's not to badly hurt, but Clark is my number 1

Clarke would be my preferred goalkeeper too. I just think he's more of a presence in goal, very vocal with the defence, and seems much more comfortable dealing with the high ball. I'd be interested to hear from someone who was actually at the match and saw how Robbie Hennelly got on though?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great to see the new lads shine, really upping the ante on the other lads.
    Never a black card for COC, hopefully no other injuries as we have a lot at the moment.

Good to get in and get the job done.

Very poor coverage from the Sunday Game last night, showing 30 mins of a game that was already live on TV, at least give London some air time and respect.

Any update on hennelly injury?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

naughto wrote: »
    Any update on hennelly injury?

Nothing yet, I could be imagining it, but I vaguely remember him having a back injury previously???????
    He would be a loss, so I do hope he recovers in time for Galway.
    Though he might have seen the Armagh lunatic yesterday and decide he wants to drift 40 yards up the pitch too! :)

Diarmuid O'Connor named U21 Player of the Year. I know someone who has a few quid on him to get Footballer of the Year later on this year. Hopefully this is a bit of foreshadowing!

• Advertisement

Anyone hear anything on Ger Cafferky? I heard myself that he was still some time away from being fully fit. He's someone I'd like to get back asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Seems unusually low key build up to the Galway game so far,especially from their end.I suppose the very average league campaign in division two,means expectations aren't great.Anybody think they could improve again on last years effort and pose a genuine threat?.

gigantic09 wrote: »
    Seems unusually low key build up to the Galway game so far,especially from their end.I suppose the very average league campaign in division two,means expectations aren't great.Anybody think they could improve again on last years effort and pose a genuine threat?.

Its a local derby so I expect a challenge from them, will they over turn us, they certainly shouldn't, will they cause us problems, then I am sure they will.
    BUT we really should be brushing them aside with a 5 point win on our own home patch.

I think it's quiet on their end because there isn't a whole lot to be excited about. They might find something extra though for this match and will probably have some sort of plan in place to try and beat us, but Mayo really should really have the better of them. Rochford should know a couple of the Galway lads inside out from his Corofin days too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Walsh's job prob on the line this year, so they mite as well go all out for win.Afaik the looser has two weeks before qualifer which is better than the usual 6 or 7 day turnaround.Unlike say Kerry who sometimes underperform,especially early in championship,Mayo always seem to mentally prepared come matchday and are rarely caught off guard these days.lf I was Walsh,id be getting Pat Lamb & John Muldoon in for a chat.Hopefully we will also be interested in attaining their services come September :-).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well done to the Senior Hurlers who have just won the Nicky Rackard Cup. Congrats to all concerned.

Fait play to the hurlers. Thought Armagh might get the better of them as it went on, but Mayo found that little bit extra. Was good to see Keith playing the full match.

Totally went out of my head,there was a very good article by the excellent Michael Foley in last Sunday's Sunday Times titled Boyle's Law,evidently about the heartbeat of our team that is Colm Boyle...not Robert Boyle of the gas law fame.:D

No link to same,well worth a read if you can get a hold of same.

PressRun wrote: »
    Fait play to the hurlers. Thought Armagh might get the better of them as it went on, but Mayo found that little bit extra. Was good to see Keith playing the full match.

It is great to see Keith Higgins playing for the hurlers given the great gra he has for the game and undoubted quality.

What with all the resistance to dual players in many counties and concerns re potential injuries it is refreshing to see Stephen Rochford openness to Zippy lining out in a national final.Bringing home the trophy to boot.

Yes, indeed, it is great to see him playing with the hurlers and winning with them too! I remember actually seeing him play hurling for Ballyhaunis years ago, when he was still a teenager, and everyone thinking he was a flier. If he'd been born in a county more inclined towards hurling, I reckon he'd have probably channelled his energy into that rather than football.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

yop wrote: »
    Its a local derby so I expect a challenge from them, will they over turn us, they certainly shouldn't, will they cause us problems, then I am sure they will.
    BUT we really should be brushing them aside with a 5 point win on our own home patch.

Mayo should be beating this Galway team by more than 5. Confidence is the lowest I've ever seen in 30 years following Galway. The 15 players that galway field against Mayo will be a long way off the best 15 players in Galway (for various reasons). It would be great if Galway were quiet because we felt we might sneak a win. However, the truth is we haven't a hope. We can't persuade our best players to get involved in the county set up while Mayo are off on week long training camps. The 2 counties are operating on completely different levels at the moment :-( a terrible reflection on those who run Galway football that they have overseen such a fall since the early 00's.

The only potential problem that Galway could cause Mayo is Shane Walsh - he'd walk onto that Mayo team (reflecting how good he is rather than quality of Mayo forwards). But other than that, Mayo are superior in every other position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

The only potential problem that Galway could cause Mayo is Shane Walsh - he'd walk onto that Mayo team (reflecting how good he is rather than quality of Mayo forwards). But other than that, Mayo are superior in every other position

I am not so sure about walsh yet. He has yet to deliver anything of real substance. He has pace and has the skill. I am not sure about his drive and when he gets a defender like keegan on him, he may shine under a different light. I am not sure if he likes the fight.
    I think Comer has the potential to be a finer player. He is very raw yet but there is something in him that you know the drive is there and he cares. He has the makings of a real hard nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I am not so sure about walsh yet. He has yet to deliver anything of real substance. He has pace and has the skill. I am not sure about his drive and when he gets a defender like keegan on him, he may shine under a different light. I am not sure if he likes the fight.
    I think Comer has the potential to be a finer player. He is very raw yet but there is something in him that you know the drive is there and he cares. He has the makings of a real hard nut.

God damn it, don't take away my 1 hope! :-)

Actually, I was really very unsure about Walsh before this year. Purely because he never really performed consistently for Galway at any time. However, I was at most of galways league matches this year and he stood out a mile. He clearly is a division 1 forward. I have no doubt he'd be one of the top forwards in the country if he was a setup like mayos. It will be interesting to see what he can do against that Mayo half back line.

Comer is a good player. But then you compare him to Aiden o'se and I have to admit, I'd pick o'se at 14 ahead of comer.
    It's harsh to compare him to o'se but look this is the match that's coming up so it's inevitable. Comers performances in the league this year have been very erratic. His head sometimes seems to drop when he fiesnt win a couple of balls.

The only other Galway player who could potentially make that Mayo team is Gary sice. Personally I'd rate him higher than Doherty.

But Mayo are oceans ahead of Galway from 1 - 9. We will have lads playing that wouldn't come anywhere close to that Mayo panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Actually, I was really very unsure about Walsh before this year. Purely because he never really performed consistently for Galway at any time. However, I was at most of galways league matches this year and he stood out a mile. He clearly is a division 1 forward. I have no doubt he'd be one of the top forwards in the country if he was a setup like mayos. It will be interesting to see what he can do against that Mayo half back line.

Comer is a good player. But then you compare him to Aiden o'se and I have to admit, I'd pick o'se at 14 ahead of comer.
    It's harsh to compare him to o'se but look this is the match that's coming up so it's inevitable. Comers performances in the league this year have been very erratic. His head sometimes seems to drop when he fiesnt win a couple of balls.

The only other Galway player who could potentially make that Mayo team is Gary sice. Personally I'd rate him higher than Doherty.

But Mayo are oceans ahead of Galway from 1 - 9. We will have lads playing that wouldn't come anywhere close to that Mayo panel.

I thought Kevin Walsh would bring Galway back but I am not sure of it now. I just think you guys have not moved up a gear. The problem with Galway is that you are looking to Walsh and Comer to do the business for you. It would be different if these two guys were in a good setup and were integrating into an established forward line. I have heard lots of doubts over Kevin Walsh from galway fans and this could be his last year. I can see Galway giving Mayo a good test for a while but that's it.

Is there no Galway football thread went looking for it but only see the hurling?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement