Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I thought Kevin Walsh would bring Galway back but I am not sure of it now. I just think you guys have not moved up a gear. The problem with Galway is that you are looking to Walsh and Comer to do the business for you. It would be different if these two guys were in a good setup and were integrating into an established forward line. I have heard lots of doubts over Kevin Walsh from galway fans and this could be his last year. I can see Galway giving Mayo a good test for a while but that's it.

Hard to see Kevin Walsh lasting after this year to be honest. His time in charge has been underwhelming (I'm being Kind there). However, a Galway have far deeper issues than management at the moment :-(

naughto wrote: »
    Is there no Galway football thread went looking for it but only see the hurling?

Hurling anD football in 1 thread

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

It seems to have an overwhelmingly hurling dominance with little mention of football.I had viewed the thread on a couple of occasions recently out of curiosity with the game coming up but saw little mention of the liathroid mor.

Your sentiments re the decline of Galway football sadden me,a strong Galway setup is good for Connacht football.Shane Walsh is an outstanding footballer,Damian Comer has much to offer too alongside Gary Sice....Galway have always had very decent forwards.Danny Cummins is quite flaky.I'm not so sure about your 1-7.Who's likely to be lining out at midfield?O Curraoin and Flynn?Has Lundy gone to the US?Is O Griofa injured or bound for the US?Even in a bad year Galway have the capability to make the quarter finals.

There were issues with the goalkeeping position earlier in the league...I'm presuming Hanley is no longer holding down the full back position.

seligehgit wrote: »

It seems to have an overwhelmingly hurling dominance with little mention of football.I had viewed the thread on a couple of occasions recently out of curiosity with the game coming up but saw little mention of the liathroid mor.

Your sentiments re the decline of Galway football sadden me,a strong Galway setup is good for Connacht football.Shane Walsh is an outstanding footballer,Damian Comer has much to offer too alongside Gary Sice....Galway have always had very decent forwards.Danny Cummins is quite flaky.I'm not so sure about your 1-7.Who's likely to be lining out at midfield?O Curraoin and Flynn?Has Lundy gone to the US?Is O Griofa injured or bound for the US?Even in a bad year Galway have the capability to make the quarter finals.

There were issues with the goalkeeping position earlier in the league...I'm presuming Hanley is no longer holding down the full back position.

The thread is usually more hurling focussed but it varies. Dont forget Galway hurlers were in action at the weekend so naturally hurling is the main talking subject then. In saying that both footballers & hurlers are in action on weekend of Galway & Mayo and I'd expect that hurling will probably form the bulk of the conversation there. Just happens that there are more posters into hurling than football on that thread. I guess that is also reflective of where the footballers are at the moment.

Lundy is in USA so not available this year. O'Griofa is injured last I heard.

Goalkeeping issues persist and I have no idea who will be in goal for the Mayo match. I think Manus Breathnach played most league matches (he was same goalie who messed up against Mayo last year).

Hanley is still part of the panel but did not start in the league. Our full back during the league had a very tough time so I wouldnt be hugely surprised to see Hanley back in there (or come on when the Mayo no. 14 is giving the Galway lad a complete roasting after 15minutes....).

Flynn is likely to start midfield. O'Curraoin has struggled with fitness recently so we might see Conroy at midfield.

As a Galway person, I hope I am wrong and that we can put it up to Mayo. I miss the old classic Galway - Mayo matches when both teams were around the same level. But it is impossible for me to see it. Mayo are probably the number 2 team in the country and it is some distance down to Galway. From a Mayo perspective, I'd be looking at how Mayo deal with Shane Walsh to give an indication of how they can deal with class forwards (which they will come up against if they meet Dublin), how they can deal with high ball into Comer (which they have struggled on before against Donaghy) etc. But this is certainly not a match that Mayo should be worried about. They should fully expect to be winning it against a poor Galway side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

As a Galway person, I hope I am wrong and that we can put it up to Mayo. I miss the old classic Galway - Mayo matches when both teams were around the same level. But it is impossible for me to see it. Mayo are probably the number 2 team in the country and it is some distance down to Galway. From a Mayo perspective, I'd be looking at how Mayo deal with Shane Walsh to give an indication of how they can deal with class forwards (which they will come up against if they meet Dublin), how they can deal with high ball into Comer (which they have struggled on before against Donaghy) etc. But this is certainly not a match that Mayo should be worried about. They should fully expect to be winning it against a poor Galway side.

I hear the hit by Boyle on comer is still sore and he is in for some rough treatment if the chance comes. I expect a few hard hitting moments in this game. Can't wait for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I hear the hit by Boyle on comer is still sore and he is in for some rough treatment if the chance comes. I expect a few hard hitting moments in this game. Can't wait for it

I'd like to see a game with a bit of bite in it and a few rough moments. I think a good, physical game would bring Mayo on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

PressRun wrote: »
    I'd like to see a game with a bit of bite in it and a few rough moments. I think a good, physical game would bring Mayo on.

A routine win, a major tightening up on shooting and shot selection and a clean bill of health at the final whistle will do me fine.

If I was from Galway, I'd find all this talk of Mayo support hoping for a good hard game incredibly patronising.

Poker faces all round should be the call!!

Don't forget Galway were right in the game last year up until they conceded a Keystone Cops goal.
    I for one had plenty to worry about during half time in that match.

And last year's match was thoroughly enjoyable because Galway were in it for a stretch of the game. I like watching good matches, whether Mayo are involved or not, and I'd hope for that going to this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

PressRun wrote: »

I think that Galway tried the physical game with this Mayo team a few times and got done badly. Mayo have too much big game experience for them, a good shoulder leads to a Mayo man going down fairly easily and a free coming. If memory serves it was 0-8 to 0-8 at half time in Pearse stadium last year and all Mayo scores were from frees. Big AOS was getting most of them as it does not take much to get him to ground. Galway would be mad to try to take Mayo on physically, Mayo are bigger, stronger and way more cute. Hard to see any way that Galway can win this game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    I think that Galway tried the physical game with this Mayo team a few times and got done badly. Mayo have too much big game experience for them, a good shoulder leads to a Mayo man going down fairly easily and a free coming. If memory serves it was 0-8 to 0-8 at half time in Pearse stadium last year and all Mayo scores were from frees. Big AOS was getting most of them as it does not take much to get him to ground. Galway would be mad to try to take Mayo on physically, Mayo are bigger, stronger and way more cute. Hard to see any way that Galway can win this game.

It doesn't, as it was 5 from 8 which were frees. And if you've watched any of the championship since then you will see many (not Mayo men) calling for more frees to be given to AOS as he seems to be more of a pony for opposition defenders. But then again memory will serve you well on that one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

yop wrote: »
    It doesn't, as it was 5 from 8 which were frees. And if you've watched any of the championship since then you will see many (not Mayo men) calling for more frees to be given to AOS as he seems to be more of a pony for opposition defenders. But then again memory will serve you well on that one ;)

Jeez, 5 from 8........ that's a lot of frees. Well remembered.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Jeez, 5 from 8........ that's a lot of frees. Well remembered.

Not really, plenty of games with a hell of a lot of scores from frees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

We are at our lowest ebb in my lifetime and I would not be surprised to see the game over by half time. Every Mayo line is better than the Galway equivalent by a distance. At the same time, I'm hoping it's a decent game. Always a nice trip to Castlebar, the Saturday evening will bring back fond memories of the '01 quarter final against Ros!

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    We are at our lowest ebb in my lifetime and I would not be surprised to see the game over by half time. Every Mayo line is better than the Galway equivalent by a distance. At the same time, I'm hoping it's a decent game. Always a nice trip to Castlebar, the Saturday evening will bring back fond memories of the '01 quarter final against Ros!

Echo your sentiments,it is always a game I look forward to...as a child invariably the tribesmen had the upper hand on us but it has swung 180 degrees in recent times.

I was at that game in 2001,that was the game to win as opposed to the provincial clash.Set you up nicely to become the first team to win Sam via the back door.I'd bite one's hand off to win the All Ireland via the front door this year le cunamh De,our dominance in Connacht will count for very little in the annals in mayo football if the ultimate prize eludes us,most especially considering our hegemony in Connacht can't last for ever.

It mystifies as to why Castlebar is'nt at times chosen as a venue for qualifier contests given it's at times geographic suitability for same competing counties.

If this is true (and I doubt it is), then the Mayo lads are a bunch of idiots. They should be concentrating on bigger things (i.e. actually going all the way this year) rather than getting revenge for one late tackle in last years championship. What if one of them decides to take Comer out, mistimes it and then gets sent off? I'd hope Mayo are experienced enough and disciplined enough not to be thinking like this.

3 years ago, Galway were absolutely slated by their supporters for not 'standing up' to Mayo. Check out the following quote from this article:

http://www.the42.ie/galway-mayo-917346-May2013/
    Mayo came ready to play championship football yesterday. Alan Dillon took up his position at left corner forward for the start of the game and dumped Jonny Duane on his arse before the ball was thrown in.

This was talked about regularly in Galway football circles in the subsequent months. People were not giving out about Dillon or complaining about him (just to be clear). It was about the lack of fight shown for the match compared to Mayo. Last year, Galway ensured that nobody could say they lacked fight. From the start, they showed fight. They lacked a lot everywhere else, but they did show fight and they did not lie down! Interestingly last year, most people were saying "Galway did quite well, just dont have the players and thats a good Mayo team".
    I am not sure we will see the same from Galway this year. Like you say, Galway are a relatively small team. Our 6 forwards could be: Sice, Walsh, Brannigan, Comer, Varley, Cummins. Out of those, only Comer really has the ability to mix it physically, maybe Sice. Even a midfield of Conroy & Flynn is somewhat lightweight compared to Mayo's midfield. Our full back line have nobody anywhere near close to coping with Aidan O'Sé's physicality, if he is playing in there. Will he be?

Like others, I have very fond memories of childhood matches between Mayo & Galway (my first memory of seeing Galway in championship is a Galway - Mayo drawn match in Tuam Stadium many years ago). I sincerely hope that those days are not gone forever. But it is hard to see those days coming back any time soon. Who knows, sport sometimes has a habit of throwing up a shock - Leicester, Japan v S. Africa. Galway beating Mayo would be a bigger shock than either of those! :)

• Advertisement

If this is true (and I doubt it is), then the Mayo lads are a bunch of idiots. They should be concentrating on bigger things (i.e. actually going all the way this year) rather than getting revenge for one late tackle in last years championship. What if one of them decides to take Comer out, mistimes it and then gets sent off? I'd hope Mayo are experienced enough and disciplined enough not to be thinking like this.

You are reading my comments arse ways. Its the Galway bucks that are still sore over the shoulder Boyle gave to comer in 2014. The Mayo guys are not caught up on this.

You are reading my comments arse ways. Its the Galway bucks that are still sore over the shoulder Boyle gave to comer in 2014. The Mayo guys are not caught up on this.

Aah ok, in that case, the Galway lads are idiots! Although they dont have bigger things to worry about! :) I dont remember that shoulder to be honest. I remember a shoulder by Comer on O'Sé and I remember Comer getting involved in a fracas over near the sideline. Cant recall the Boyle shoulder though.

Aah ok, in that case, the Galway lads are idiots! Although they dont have bigger things to worry about! :) I dont remember that shoulder to be honest. I remember a shoulder by Comer on O'Sé and I remember Comer getting involved in a fracas over near the sideline. Cant recall the Boyle shoulder though.

Here you go URL

Its better on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQZemthWLLA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Here you go URL

Was that even a foul? Looks shoulder to shoulder on that video - just a physical mismatch resulting from Boyle doing 2 or 3 years on the Mayo S&C program compared to whatever training Mulholland had the Galway lads doing at that point.

Here you go URL

Good hit! Comer is strong so takes quite a hit to take him down like that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Good hit! Comer is strong so takes quite a hit to take him down like that!

If he's not on top form its going to be fairly comfortable for Mayo you'd imagine, a lot resting on his young inconsistent shoulders

WallyGUFC wrote: »

It will be great spectacle to have a 7PM game and if the weather is good it should be a great day, Ireland playing at 3pm, the game then at 7pm and 2 or 3 creamy pints afterwards.
    I'd still expect Galway to be well up for this game and we won't have it our way, but tbh I know very little of the goings on in Galway football so Ill leave that to those who know.

There will be big hits, thats what gives the game a bit of life. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

question time...

who was the galway nuig player against mayo this year in mchale park. I know o shea was one but ive forgotten the name of the other one. He was a handy player and was imo the best player on the pitch that day. And Is he on the galway team?

kupus wrote: »
    question time...

who was the galway nuig player against mayo this year in mchale park. I know o shea was one but ive forgotten the name of the other one. He was a handy player and was imo the best player on the pitch that day. And Is he on the galway team?

Link is here, if its of any use.
    http://www.the42.ie/mayo-v-nui-galway-report-2528896-Jan2016/

kupus wrote: »
    question time...

Was it Peter Cooke? Midfield for NUIG that day according to the link above. He came on against Tyrone in the league and played well. Didnt feature after that though (or at least not much). Still U-21 so young player. Personally I would've given him more match time in the league. A very talented player.

The only other player it might have been (going by that link) is Dave Cunnane. Also came on against Tyrone. Would be on the fringes of the panel over the league. Not sure if he is still in the panel. He was full back for NUIG in that game.

Was it Peter Cooke? Midfield for NUIG that day according to the link above. He came on against Tyrone in the league and played well. Didnt feature after that though (or at least not much). Still U-21 so young player. Personally I would've given him more match time in the league. A very talented player.

The only other player it might have been (going by that link) is Dave Cunnane. Also came on against Tyrone. Would be on the fringes of the panel over the league. Not sure if he is still in the panel. He was full back for NUIG in that game.

Yeah I was at that game,I believe it was Peter Cooke,quite a tall lad?He was excellent that day,really stood out.Val Daly's son Michael was impressive too.

Yeah I was at that game,I believe it was Peter Cooke,quite a tall lad?He was excellent that day,really stood out.Val Daly's son Michael was impressive too.

I remember that Daly lad. Looks like a fine player.

Yeah, thats him alright. Generally midfield or Half forward. Was very surprised that he didnt get more game time during the league. Played well against Tyrone when he came on. But I am not sure if there was anything going on with him, like niggles or that Walsh felt he might be a little too young. Wouldnt be hugely surprised to see him against Mayo. But would be tough throwing a young fella into a match like that with so little experience. If it was the plan to start him against Mayo, then I'd have expected he would have played more in the league.

Yeah, thats him alright. Generally midfield or Half forward. Was very surprised that he didnt get more game time during the league. Played well against Tyrone when he came on. But I am not sure if there was anything going on with him, like niggles or that Walsh felt he might be a little too young. Wouldnt be hugely surprised to see him against Mayo. But would be tough throwing a young fella into a match like that with so little experience. If it was the plan to start him against Mayo, then I'd have expected he would have played more in the league.

Did he kick a 45?Quite a beauty.I seem to recall he appeared to be a capable placed ball kicker from distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

That's him and yeah I think he kicked a 45, I was very impressed with him. He didn't seem to be fazed with the Mayo midfield that day. His place kicking passing running tackling was all top notch. If he continues like that and has his head on firm he'll be one for the future.

• Advertisement

Did he kick a 45?Quite a beauty.I seem to recall he appeared to be a capable placed ball kicker from distance.

Yeah, very good kicking technique.

He is 20 is he? Why not throw him in though, we've seen Diarmuid come through at that age and physically they would be stong enough. If they get the experience of playing again top teams then it will only help them.

Then again, save him until the match after Mayo, in case he is any bloody good! :O

He is 20 is he? Why not throw him in though, we've seen Diarmuid come through at that age and physically they would be stong enough. If they get the experience of playing again top teams then it will only help them.

Then again, save him until the match after Mayo, in case he is any bloody good! :O

Yeah, 20 or 21 - around that. Yeah, like I said I would have played him during the league but maybe I dont know all of the facts as to why he wasnt played more. I am assuming he wont be playing purely because he hardly featured in the league. He missed a few frees against Tyrone (but played well). Maybe thats why he didnt feature much after. We do have a few issues in midfield since the league though and I'd certainly be happy to see his name on the teamsheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

I know its early days yet but looks like it will be a little unsettled next Saturday evening. Was praying for a mild sunny evening so we would be treated to showcase football. Even if its just for the comfort of sitting about before or after the game with the kids and meeting the players or sitting on the terraces in the bacon factory end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

It will be great spectacle to have a 7PM game and if the weather is good it should be a great day, Ireland playing at 3pm, the game then at 7pm and 2 or 3 creamy pints afterwards.
    I'd still expect Galway to be well up for this game and we won't have it our way, but tbh I know very little of the goings on in Galway football so Ill leave that to those who know.

There will be big hits, thats what gives the game a bit of life. :)

Dont forget Ireland and the BOKS in the oval ball on saturday as well. Time to be confirmed.
    What would odds would PP give on Ireland, Ireland and Mayo :D

Ascii wrote: »
    Dont forget Ireland and the BOKS in the oval ball on saturday as well. Time to be confirmed.

Super Saturday!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

A bit late but is there any commentary on the Nick rackard/Christy ring okay off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

A bit late but is there any commentary on the Nick rackard/Christy ring okay off

Over and done with. And a great victory for Mayo by 1-21 to 1-14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,860 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Was seriously thinking about this bet but the rugby odds are gonna be a helluva lot shorter now.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

2pm Ireland v Belgium
    4pm Ireland v South Africa
    7pm Mayo v Galway

I only fancy Mayo out of the three to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Was seriously thinking about this bet but the rugby odds are gonna be a helluva lot shorter now.:P

Never any use betting on friendlies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

2pm Ireland v Belgium
    7pm Mayo v Galway

Hopefully 3 interesting and competitive games ....and so long as we give our Neighbours a lovely welcome and a nice day out but sadly for them a defeat:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

2pm Ireland v Belgium
    7pm Mayo v Galway

That would be some day on the beer I'd struggle for the mayo match in fairness

Roscommon won pulling up in the end,they have some very natural forwards who will cause a lot of problems for Mayo or Galway.Cutting off the supply to same in the middle of the park will be the winning of a Connacht final.

Having said that it was a relatively limited Sligo team who were carried by Pat Hughes and Adrian Marren up front(huge loss with the black card),ditto the loss of Charlie Harrison.Sligo put up quite a big score against the Roscommon defence which should offer Mayo/Galway much encouragement.

Roscommon won pulling up in the end,they have some very natural forwards who will cause a lot of problems for Mayo or Galway.Cutting off the supply to same in the middle of the park will be the winning of a Connacht final.

Having said that it was a relatively limited Sligo team who were carried by Pat Hughes and Adrian Marren up front(huge loss with the black card),ditto the loss of Charlie Harrison.Sligo put up quite a big score against the Roscommon defence which should offer Mayo/Galway much encouragement.

Roscommon will have to improve dramatically if they are to beat Mayo. They cant afford to let Mayo go 8 points up. They cant afford to dilly dally on the ball, half committing to their attempts on goal, like they were in the first half today. Against Mayo, if they play the way they did in the first half today, they will be beaten by HT. They need to be at the top of their game right from the first second. Mayo have the ability to hurt them otherwise.

If Galway somehow do catch Mayo on the hop, then Roscommon should be able to take them. However, it would be the ideal situation for Galway - come in as underdogs, Roscommon supremely confident, Galway wouldnt fear Roscommon etc. Anyway, I cant see that final coming about!

• Advertisement

The rossies have no midfield they didn't have one when we played them in the bog they call Hyde park and they still don't.
    We will have to quiten Collins if and when we meet the rossiez in the final he caused a lot of problems to day

Very quite in the Galway camp but we should be way to strong for them.

What's the story on the injury front? Last I heard, Chris Barrett still wasn't right. What's going on there?

Caf out now as well according to the Connaught

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Balls, hope it's nothing long term for either. Only after getting my tickets so I must have jinxed us. :(

naughto wrote: »
    Caf out now as well according to the Connaught

He's another who seems to have had a persistent injury problem now for a while. You'd kind of want these things to start sorting themselves out at this stage.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement