Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I listened to the Mayo News GAA podcast yesterday and they had a very interesting statistic.

Apparently Mayo score on average 22pts in games that Cillian O' Conner plays a major part in.
    In games were he does not play or only plays a minor part in, that average goes down to 13.

I'm not sire what the sample size is but all the details are in The Mayo News.

If anyone needed convincing that just shows how valuable a fit Cillian is.

The Irish Times published an article this week that showed how statistically Cillian is the most relied upon (and thus arguably the most important) player in the game. Mayo rely on him for scores more than Monaghan rely on Conor McManus or Kerry on James O'Donoghue. Just shows how vital it is that others step up to the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

Good fast flowing physical game hopefully like olden times.galway to win by 4 points

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Good buzz around Castlebar,it must be super Saturday!Can't wait for seven!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,860 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Was seriously thinking about this bet but the rugby odds are gonna be a helluva lot shorter now.:P

Have gone with the Ireland/Ireland Mayo treble at round 28/1. Very hard to see the rugby boys doing the double on the Boks tbh though...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Have gone with the Ireland/Ireland Mayo treble at round 28/1. Very hard to see the rugby boys doing the double on the Boks tbh though...

Worth a punt as long as you have not put your life saving on it,juicy odds.Might pay for a few drinks tonight,hard to see anything other than a Belgium victory and the Boks will be lynched if they don't level up the test series today!Here's hoping it comes in.Drinks will be on you!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Weather not playing ball at all....

rain%20now_zpsz3air8cp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Can you buy tickets at the ground? My season ticket has gone missing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Let's hope it's not 0/3 now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Any link for the game?

• Advertisement

Rain piling on, ugh, wish I was watching on sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Rain piling on, ugh, wish I was watching on sky

Couple of us watching it on Sky, would rather be there TBH it's a great stadium the stand only protects 40% from the rain. Looks like a great crowd . Compared that to what looked like very few at the armagh laois game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Brutal shooting so far.

Have we forgotten where the posts are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Awful stuff from both teams so far.

martyos121 wrote: »

Let's hope it's not 0/3 now. :(
    Starting to think this could happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I think the tide is turning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

People calling for Higgins in the forward line got their wish. Now can we just go back to playing him in his own position please

Absolute rubbish so far, from both teams.

PressRun wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish so far, from both teams.

Yeah don't think sky will be winning too many converts to the gah on the back of this. Doubt it's the kind of Tv exposure bord failte are looking for either.

• Advertisement

Uh-oh

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Ha ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

That was coming, shocking performance

One of the worst Mayo performances I've seen in years. Questions to be answered. Appalling all over the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Don't no what I just seen fair play to Galway they took there chance my god
    We where s1hite.
    Not going to hit the panic button just yet the team is there just a sh1te all over the place

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Well done Galway.

Guess we'll have to start thinking about the playoffs now. Feels wrong even saying it...

At least it was galway that beat us and I hope they go on and hammer the rossies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Serious questions have to be asked about the team there...where was the desire? One of the worst performances I have seen in years, we had no gameplan...in fact I had no idea what we were meant to be doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Chaotic
    All over the pitch
    Starting with the goalie
    Wholesale changes for the qualifiers me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

No complaints, Galway wanted it more and just had that little bit extra in the legs when it mattered.

Unfortunately it now looks like a long road to the business end, we have never been a back door team.

Thinking they believed they had it won before they played the game.

km79 wrote: »
    Chaotic
    All over the pitch
    Starting with the goalie
    Wholesale changes for the qualifiers me thinks

Why did they go down the short ball route when cleaning out teams at midfield was or thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

First off, I'm a dual fan and Galway have always been my number one when the teams meet so obviously I'm ecstatic with the win (and gutted that I'm away with work and had to watch on a laptop :( )

But with my Mayo hat on and in this thread, I'd like to express how disappointed I am with Mayo's performance. They played shocking dour stuff for the first half hour (as did Galway - 4 shots dropped short with no wind is unforgivable) but then they turned it on for the last ten minutes of the half (including injury time). They had played with no intensity up to that point and it seemed they just clicked into gear and to be honest I was fearful for Galway that they wouldn't handle Mayo in the second half. Mayo started the second half well enough, but then just died. Canavan on Sky had pointed out before the game about the guys that continuously take the ball into the tackle when there's three better options available and on a greasy evening, that was stupid play. Galway won a lot of turnovers from that kind of craic.

It wasn't just that though, there were a lot of guys that I didn't even notice throughout the game. Aido barely got his hands on the ball (so little in fact that there were never even any instances in which three men were hanging off him and he still couldn't get a free!) I think he had 2 shots that both went badly wide. O'Connor was great from the frees (except the one towards the end that would have given a massive lift) but from play he just wasn't sharp at all. Missed 3 or 4 easy enough chances (by his own standard) in the first half alone. Where was Doherty? Higgins was wasted in the forwards, did very little there. Is definitely better running from his own half. Seamie made an immediate impact when he came on for Gibbons in the first half but died off quickly in the second half I thought. Keegan, Boyler and Parsons were the main men keeping the show going, and Regan was a handful in fairness to him but it wasn't enough. Rob was unlucky for the goal, his kickouts had been on the money all day (bar one other). But Flynn is a strong runner and he knows where the goal is.

I thought Galway did a good job defensively but Mayo helped them by running into them and allowing for a jab at the ball which would inevitable slip out of the hands. Galway tended to be more sensible in attack, usually passing before the tackle. They seemed to have a lot of space, even when Mayo had 6 + 2 defenders inside the 45. They'd patiently pass it back and forth, allowing the Mayo guys time to settle, and then just casually run up the middle and pass it off to an unmarked runner from deep. We missed a lot of chances too and have a world of improving to do before the final but I just think Mayo were complacent and then towards the end when it wasn't going their way they lacked composure, lacked a bit of drive or something. Everything went wrong after the goal and Galway held out superbly, to be fair. Had a very inexperienced team out and the older heads really stepped up - Conroy and O'Donnell were very good I thought. Few anonymous guys for us too but when it's your day it's your day!

Having said all this I'm confident that this is exactly what Mayo needed. They have 5 Connacht medals already and 6th in as many years would of course be special, but the few extra games they might get during the qualifiers against teams they don't know and don't play often will be the making of them. They'll be hurting after this loss, no doubt, and if they are really deserving of the All-Ireland they crave, then they have to bounce back. They have to focus on one game at a time and never get ahead of themselves as they may have done this time.

I want Galway to keep improving and go on and win a Connacht title. It'd be good for them and either way now I think it's good for Connacht that Galway are "back" so to speak. Having 3 decent teams instead of one will do the other teams good too and bring them on hopefully. And if they can go further, then fair play to Walsh if he can manage to quieten the naysayers. But I want Mayo to get stronger during the qualifiers and come out the other side a hardened team. And who knows, maybe it's Mayo's 2001. I certainly wouldn't despair for the future of Mayo after one bad day at the office. I think it'll drive them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Guess we'll have to start thinking about the playoffs now. Feels wrong even saying it...

A trip back down to the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick....:D

• Advertisement

crusier wrote: »
    Galway will be lucky to get within 6 points of mayo, that's a B team with all that's missing ,

Good prediction....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Firstly well done to Galway.

Not sure what to say about that, poor all over the field as others have said.

Even though Mayo have never been good in the qualifiers it will be interesting to see how this bunch handle them.

Loser of Donegal v Monaghan is a possible round 3 match up, and the loser of Ulster a possible round 4 match up, but apart from that no one of Mayos quality.

2pm Ireland v Belgium
    4pm Ireland v South Africa
    7pm Mayo v Galway

I only fancy Mayo out of the three to be honest.

Posts like this are manna from heaven for the opposition.!!
    When will we ever learn...??

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Firstly well done to Galway.

Not sure what to say about that, poor all over the field as others have said.

Even though Mayo have never been good in the qualifiers it will be interesting to see how this bunch handle them.

Loser of Donegal v Monaghan is a possible round 3 match up, and the loser of Ulster a possible round 4 match up, but apart from that no one of Mayos quality.

"Mayo's quality" , I'd be dropping your opinion of their quality after that display and maybe have a little more respect for the other teams in the qualifiers

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

That Mayo team will end up in an All Ireland Final, they won't win it but they will get to the final. Mark my words

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    Posts like this are manna from heaven for the opposition.!!
    When will we ever learn...??

Coming from a limerick man which have no football or hurling of note
    Your more than welcome to stay and see us fly through the qualifiers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Mc Loughlin playing sweeper and Higgins up in the forwards. Madness.
    Time also to recognise A O Shea isn`t a full forward. Goals against Sligo really don`t count at this level and other than a goal against Donegal, he really hasn`t done it up front.
    Last few mins K O`Connor taking asideline kick, looking to drop it into the square with a goal needed,O`Shea is looking for the ball on the Galway 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

Its going to be a quiet night for the fish heads.great to see a Galway team almost everyone had given no chance to March into mayos back yard and come away with a win.lads on here saying how poor Mayo were no mention of how good Galway were.galway had manys the bad game in the past but credit where it's due they produced the goods today where Mayo failed.andy Moran ain't dancing up the pitch tonight lads.gaillimh Abu

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    That Mayo team will end up in an All Ireland Final, they won't win it but they will get to the final. Mark my words

Yeah, that isjust what`s needed. Losing another AI senior final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

I think it is the end of this Mayo team, too many miles in the tank and tough losses in the mind, shame they never got the AI they probably deserved

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭coniosumadre

In fairness the warning signs have been there a long time but a lot of people choose to make excuses or ignore them. Now they look like absolute clowns after last year's player power revolt

naughto wrote: »
    Coming from a limerick man which have no football or hurling of note
    Your more than welcome to stay and see us fly through the qualifiers

And we have the very same problems as you do, ie allowing a minority of prima donnas to dictate who manages the team, while all the time hiding the fact that its their own failures that prevents success.
    Only difference is that many of us in Limerick are honest enough to admit it rather than bury our heads in the sand like you do, while placing the aforementioned prima donnas on high pedestals.
    While we have no hurling or football or hurling we have won a hurling title since Mayo have last won a football one and have lost around the same amount of senior finals as your boys also.
    Over the last decade our football team have pushed Kerry/Cork very close on a few occasions, sometimes much closer than many 'football counties' have, yourselves included.
    Posters from counties with no hurling or football of note are also allowed voice an opinion.;)

Its going to be a quiet night for the fish heads.great to see a Galway team almost everyone had given no chance to March into mayos back yard and come away with a win.lads on here saying how poor Mayo were no mention of how good Galway were.galway had manys the bad game in the past but credit where it's due they produced the goods today where Mayo failed.andy Moran ain't dancing up the pitch tonight lads.gaillimh Abu
    Let's be fair here I want ye to win the Connaught final believe me I do every mayo person on here does because We/I don't have much time for the rossies and there sheep.
    But ye have won nothing (bar the allireland back in the day)remember that and if ye can't back it up with a win in July this win will be for nothing.
    I really hope ye push on and we meet again in Crocker

In fairness the warning signs have been there a long time but a lot of people choose to make excuses or ignore them. Now they look like absolute clowns after last year's player power revolt

Noel and Pat must really be wondering now why a minority of prima donnas were allowed bully them out of their positions in management.
    Probably not in their nature but I wouldn't blame them for having a good laugh tonight at the same minority that were marked absent this evening in Castlebar.

washman3 wrote: »
    And we have the very same problems as you do, ie allowing a minority of prima donnas to dictate who manages the team, while all the time hiding the fact that its their own failures that prevents success.
    Only difference is that many of us in Limerick are honest enough to admit it rather than bury our heads in the sand like you do, while placing the aforementioned prima donnas on high pedestals.
    While we have no hurling or football or hurling we have won a hurling title since Mayo have last won a football one and have lost around the same amount of senior finals as your boys also.
    Over the last decade our football team have pushed Kerry/Cork very close on a few occasions, sometimes much closer than many 'football counties' have, yourselves included.
    Posters from counties with no hurling or football of note are also allowed voice an opinion.;)
    Sure didn't I say you could stay what more do u want😷

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement