Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭coniosumadre

Fermanagh away is the only one of those that would cause Mayo even the slightest bit of trouble.

Mayo should be cruising into the next round.

If they don't then the rot has well and truly set in.
    Hello there. Have you been follow Mayo at all this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hello there. Have you been follow Mayo at all this year?

Yes they a bad outing v Galway and a bad league.

But they are still a legitimate top 4 team and an All Ireland cotender.

If they lose to anyone in Round 2 then so be it they are done, but I don't expect it.

If you do expect it them I assume you will be putting large amounts of money on their opponent first thing Monday morning.

"Yes they a bad outing v Galway and a bad league."

Instead of phrasing it like this you could also say, they've been rubbish in every game they've played this year and the year is now half over.( actually the GAA year is 3/4 over)

They'll struggle and grind out one or two point wins for a round or two i'd imagine, before limping out spineless like they did against Galway probably just before the quarter final stage. They've had enough wake up calls this year already but haven't responded to any in the slightest. A summer to re think is the best solution anyway. Lets hope we can get a manager with more than club experience to start with anyway, then new (u21) faces are needed. This team tried their best and we should all be grateful, But that time is long up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Instead of phrasing it like this you could also say, they've been rubbish in every game they've played this year and the year is now half over.( actually the GAA year is 3/4 over)

They'll struggle and grind out one or two point wins for a round or two i'd imagine, before limping out spineless like they did against Galway probably just before the quarter final stage. They've had enough wake up calls this year already but haven't responded to any in the slightest. A summer to re think is the best solution anyway. Lets hope we can get a manager with more than club experience to start with anyway, then new (u21) faces are needed. This team tried their best and we should all be grateful, But that time is long up.
    Hello there
    My season ticket attendance tells me I have been following mayo all year as does Fr Tod. I am in agreement with him. I won't give up on this team yet. Just to be clear you want another managerial change ? Any suggestions on who that should be based on available candidates with intercounty managerial experience ?
    Every single one of your posts in mayo forum have been negative . Enjoy this team they won't go on forever

km79 wrote: »

Hello there
    My season ticket attendance tells me I have been following mayo all year as does Fr Tod. I am in agreement with him. I won't give up on this team yet. Just to be clear you want another managerial change ? Any suggestions on who that should be based on available candidates with intercounty managerial experience ?
    Every single one of your posts in mayo forum have been negative . Enjoy this team they won't go on forever
    The truth can be a hard thing to accept my friend, especially when we dont want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

How's the gangland craic going for u theses days

naughto wrote: »
    How's the gangland craic going for u theses days
    HaHa... Nothing like a bit of Sunday stalking.. Don't you have a girlfriend?

A majority of, not all, players decided last year that they knew better than the managers.

A new manager was appointed, with a player rep involved in the process.

This year the players have to prove they were right.

This year Rochford has a free pass, next year it's his team, whatever form it may take.

Oh, and Horan was only a club manager when he took over, and a far less succeeone at national level than Rochford.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

What's with all the negativity?Yes the form line is not particularly encouraging but one supports their county team through thick and thin.They have an opportunity to put things right.So we sack another manager?Give poor Stephen Rochford a break,he's only in the job a wet week and has very high expectations to fulfill and cut the lads a bit of slack,they are amateur players after all and they evidently don't get paid to take the amounts of unconstructive criticisms that are put forth.

seligehgit wrote: »
    What's with all the negativity?Yes the form line is not particularly encouraging but one supports their county team through thick and thin.They have an opportunity to put things right.So we sack another manager?Give poor Stephen Rochford a break,he's only in the job a wet week and has very high expectations to fulfill and cut the lads a bit of slack,they are amateur players after all and they evidently don't get paid to take the amounts of unconstructive criticisms that are put forth.
    The same lads saying we are finished , "so and so" is useless and the manager is clueless will be mouthing about not being able to get a ticket when we meet the Dubs in August and for the final in September ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

They'll struggle and grind out one or two point wins for a round or two i'd imagine,

Your imagination runs away with you ;)

headclouds.gif

HaHa... Nothing like a bit of Sunday stalking.. Don't you have a girlfriend?

I have two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

pure bollox with the talk give rochford a break/free pass, give players a break... Rochford needs to grow a pair and stop the rot. There is only one way to do this and put a certain few players on the bench and let them see the other side... stop the media whoring from certain players....bring in a few of the winners from the U21/other panel players and let them have a crack.

There should be only one guy calling the shots and that is the manager.

pure bollox with the talk give rochford a break/free pass, give players a break... Rochford needs to grow a pair and stop the rot. There is only one way to do this and put a certain few players on the bench and let them see the other side... stop the media whoring from certain players....bring in a few of the winners from the U21/other panel players and let them have a crack.

There should be only one guy calling the shots and that is the manager

Unfortunately that may not be the case.
    Lots of catter about strife etc.

If they fail in 2016 its on their own heads, not souch on the managers, he can start with a clean slate in 2017

Unfortunately that may not be the case.
    Lots of catter about strife etc.

If they fail in 2016 its on their own heads, not souch on the managers, he can start with a clean slate in 2017

I disagree. What the players did is nothing to do with him. its should be about the present for Rochford. He should be nipping this now as the chances are the panel will be very similar next year. He can make an first impression and then nobody is under any illusion on what they will get from him now and for the period he is the manager. He is goosed if he lets it continue and his credibility is shot.

Would Horan have let this happen... not in a million years.. he took one player and gave him a root out the door... that set the standard and no BS was accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

There should be only one guy calling the shots and that is the manager.

Top post. 100% correct.
    At least there are people in your county willing to take their heads out of the sand and admit that a rot exists. well said.

washman3 wrote: »
    Top post. 100% correct.
    At least there are people in your county willing to take their heads out of the sand and admit that a rot exists. well said.

I'm not sure where you are getting the impression that Mayo supporters are in denial that all is not well in the camp?

It is extremely disappointing the rumours of discontent in the camp.The agitators if the reason for the aggro are proven true need have it communicated to them in no uncertain terms who's in charge.They are underperforming as things stand.Star quality or not.If necessary a change of personnel should be considered.As mentioned there are I am sure members of the victorious under 21 team chomping at the bit to see some championship action.The management decisions must be respected.The players are in danger of giving an already disgruntled section of their support another stick to beat them with.

I am certain nobody is giving Stephen Rochford a free pass ditto the players,they've a chance to redeem themselves,in Rochford's case reassert his authority.

However I am aware as I keep saying Stephen Rochford is carrying out a thankless task for little reward.He has a family and friends,nice parents whom I've met at an FBD match who don't deserve same individual to be subjected to at times unconstructive criticism after a few months in the job by many of us so called expert keyboard warriors.I will reserve my judgement on his tenure until at least the end of the championship year,possibly even next year.He is bedding things in,hopefully refining his tactical nous.The same applies for our amateur players who are putting in the hours for little reward.Media seeking inclinations should be kept in check as they can be a distraction.However they would not be human,as lad(s) in their mid twenties with a high profile were'nt slightly affected by the expected attention.I am hopeful that Stephen Rochford will deal with this inclination.

The nostalgia for the James Horan era is misplaced,James Horan was an excellent manager in many ways but was'nt faultless..there were tactical issues which contributed to our failure to win the ultimate prize.

I disagree. What the players did is nothing to do with him. its should be about the present for Rochford. He should be nipping this now as the chances are the panel will be very similar next year. He can make an first impression and then nobody is under any illusion on what they will get from him now and for the period he is the manager. He is goosed if he lets it continue and his credibility is shot.

Would Horan have let this happen... not in a million years.. he took one player and gave him a root out the door... that set the standard and no BS was accepted.

But the point the poster was making was that Rochford should not continue beyond his year.

I disagree, he should be given a chance next year to get the house (back) in order.

washman3 wrote: »
    Top post. 100% correct.

Well looking at it as optimistic as I can I'm not giving up hope until the day they are knocked out.
    If that's head in the sand then so be it, I'd prefer to believe that the players have the hunger required to get back on track than not.

I'd like to think Offaly/Longford/Limerick/Fermanagh are a stroll in the park for these guys.

But as I have said before, its going to get harder with each round after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

The nostalgia for the James Horan era is misplaced,James Horan was an excellent manager in many ways but was'nt faultless..there were tactical issues which contributed to our failure to win the ultimate prize.

This seems to be driving a lot of the recent criticism, in my experience. I even had someone tell me around the time of the Rochford appointment that the only manager they'd ever be happy with was Horan. I have a lot of respect for Horan and where he brought Mayo, but he made mistakes too (both during matches and behind the scenes) and in the end, he walked away of his own volition. Pining for him now is of no use to anyone and frankly, people need to just get over it.

• Advertisement

PressRun wrote: »
    This seems to be driving a lot of the recent criticism, in my experience. I even had someone tell me around the time of the Rochford appointment that the only manager they'd ever be happy with was Horan. I have a lot of respect for Horan and where he brought Mayo, but he made mistakes too (both during matches and behind the scenes) and in the end, he walked away of his own volition. Pining for him now is of no use to anyone and frankly, people need to just get over it.

Yes, in the aftermath of the H&C ousting the story was that they all wanted Horanl back, and that H&C did not do things the way Hiran did.

But Horan had no intention of coming back, maybe he will again in the future, but I don't think many of his original group from '11 to '14 will be around by the time he does.

Look guys, I still think we have a great chance to redeem our season but hard decisions need to be taken. I am optimistic but we need to be realistic as well. I have heard the stories like everyone else and who knows they could be ****, but you cannot get away from what you see on the pitch.

At the Galway game, i seen a bad attitude to playing as a team. I actually hate the hands on the air **** like our old friend "Micheal Jackson" used to do, when things don't go our way. There is no i in team ...there is no place for team selection dictation by players.

Dublin would kick us out the gate at the moment and that is the standard that these guys should be aiming for if they want to deliver otherwise they will end up like all the rest that have gone before them.

Mayo v Fermanagh at home,toughest probable opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

At least it's at home.
    No harm to have a tough game.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

cocoman wrote: »
    At least it's at home.

I agree, lets see what we are made of now.

When will that be lad, roughly?

Yea but still should be straight forward enough.

Other draw is
    Donegal/Monaghan v Longford
    Kildare v Offaly
    Cork v Limerick.

So you could imagine a round 3 v one of Donegal/Monaghan, Kildare or Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

I agree but I think that's a good thing. If we win we'll have earned it. If we loose we'll know we weren't good enough this year. They'll have had a few weeks to get their house in order. A reaction is needed!!

yop wrote: »
    I agree, lets see what we are made of now.

When will that be lad, roughly?

Saturday 9th

cocoman wrote: »
    At least it's at home.

In all seriousness Fermanagh should not be tough for Mayo, if they are the game is up.

• Advertisement

Home draw so happy with that !
    Will there be reserved seating in the stand :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Fermanagh are a good side, I would expect them to keep it close for 50 mins. Mayo should win in the end.
    What are the rumours of discontent that everyone is speaking of?

Squatman wrote: »
    Fermanagh are a good side, I would expect them to keep it close for 50 mins. Mayo should win in the end.
    What are the rumours of discontent that everyone is speaking of?

What I have heard is that Cillian O Connor and AOS are running the show, and that they don't even get on themselves.

I don't even know what constitutes "running the show" but allegedly that's what they are doing.

Its pure and utter rumours, so make of it what you will

All coc is running is in the new eir ad nothing more.
    They are not running the show the training camp in London did more damage than good to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

They are not running the show the training camp in London did more damage than good to the team.

care to explain

care to explain

That's all I was told a lot of people not happy. I have tried to find out what happened but got no where

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I've reserved my seat already, its the one with the red and green flag draped over it. :D should be easy to spot ;)

stadium-seats-14252826.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

That's all I was told a lot of people not happy. I have tried to find out what happened but got no where

There will be zero sympathy for any of the players if they are throwing the rattlers out of the pram again. I was firmly behind their decision last October but what has happened over the last few weeks has made me think that maybe Noel & Pat were more sinned against than sinning.

A week training camp & they are not happy? Get bloody on with in IMO. It's a game of football. This James Horan love in that the players have is actually undermining the whole set-up. Some key players are obviously still in regular contact with Horan. He practically said as much on Newstalk in the build up to the Galway game where he stated they were trying a new defensive system with a dedicated sweeper. Seems to me this group of players will not actually be happy until Horan is back in the hot-seat.

I think we are actually buggered for the season as our shoddy defence is actually in a worse place than before with the loses of Cunniffe, Cafferkey & Barrett to this juncture. Harrison is not top level corner back & Keane does not have the authority at three. We are terrible at the sweeper system and have still not learned how to play it. Whether it's the personnel who cannot play the position (Boyler last year/McLoughlin this season) or our method of implementation we cannot get it working. I would love to see us get Parsons into 6 & let him play a Cian O'Sullivan type game dropping back. He is athletic to cover the ground & has the height to stop the long diagonal balls into our full-back line. Then let McLoughlin/Zippy help him out defensively. Obviously the loss of Gibbons is going to mean Parsons needed around the middle but i would get AOS in there as soon as possible. His form has fallen off a cliff and he has done nothing to warrant his starting place.

Hennelly AOS & Doherty are three who should be under big pressure to hold their places. All three have been poor for a long time & I feel half the team are too sure of their places. It will be interesting to see what shake-ups Rochford goes for, it will give us an indication to who has the real control in the dressing room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

I was firmly behind their decision last October but what has happened over the last few weeks has made me think that maybe Noel & Pat were more sinned against than sinning.
    A

What has happened over the last few weeks? if its COC running the show, - is that not his new role as captain?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

lads i hate bringing negativity to our chances and of course we should be fit to beat Fermanagh
    BUT
    i'm abit worried bout the home draw because in the last 2 years in league( 7 matches ) and the 1 championship game( Galway !!!) we hav put in a series of poor unconvincing performances.

On paper 2 wins out of 8 matches at home is poor.

1 league win in 2014 against Monaghan was the only impressive performance, 2 very poor losses to Dublin and Tyrone and then a draw against donegal when we needed to win.
    1 unconvincing win in 2015 against Down ( who lost every game this year) and then another loss to Dublin with Kerry beating us comfortably.

I had them reservations in the back of me head before Galway game but still thought we would beat them!!

Now i think it is a problem and whether its the size of pitch or pressure playing in front of high expectant home crowd or poor tactics, i dont think it can be fully ignored goin into the Fermanagh game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Strange thing to say that a training camp away did more damage than good and then follow it up with.... I tried to find out but got no where?

I would have thought that few days away would have helped, but now because of a defeat, it is seen as part of the fault. If they had won the game, it would have been a great camp. It's all down to results eh?

• Advertisement

Hennelly AOS & Doherty are three who should be under big pressure to hold their places. All three have been poor for a long time & I feel half the team are too sure of their places. It will be interesting to see what shake-ups Rochford goes for, it will give us an indication to who has the real control in the dressing room

Spot on. I would be taking these three as well. AOS is a def in my eyes.
    There has to be implications for a poor performance and he has to drop a few guys but I am not sure if he has this in him... time will tell

I was listening to Sunday game last night and they mentioned how Gavin drops a guy to the bench if he feels the focus and attitude is not right. This is why the dubs are just superb. You could argue that the hype in Dublin should cause the players more issues than Mayo but they don't have that crap. You just know that Gavin is a no nonsense manager and fair play to him.

I hope they get a game that they have to fight to win. This is the important part because if they do not fight(like Galway game) we are as well to piss off out. If we fight and win, then this could change the focus and bring back the drive and determination that was there over the last few years which we have all appreciated and loved.

Tbh, how Gavin runs things in Dublin is not really comparable to how things are in Mayo. Jim Gavin can afford to deliver ultimatums and drop certain individuals if they're not performing to a level that he wants. We simply don't have the squad depth to do the same.

For what it's worth, I heard from someone fairly reliable that there isn't truth to the stories about certain players "running the show". The training camp in London was mistimed, supposedly, and that had an effect on how things have panned out since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Knowing prenty he'll put all the *troublesome* season ticket holders in section 109 row A :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PressRun wrote:
    Tbh, how Gavin runs things in Dublin is not really comparable to how things are in Mayo. Jim Gavin can afford to deliver ultimatums and drop certain individuals if they're not performing to a level that he wants. We simply don't have the squad depth to do the same.

McGuinness dropped Cassidy and delivered that year without him.

Stoner wrote: »

We got rid of "Micheal jackson" but didn't deliver ... we are better off without him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

We got rid of "Micheal jackson" but didn't deliver ... we are better off without him

He walked, the week of a Connacht Final

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Strange thing to say that a training camp away did more damage than good and then follow it up with.... I tried to find out but got no where?

I would have thought that few days away would have helped, but now because of a defeat, it is seen as part of the fault. If they had won the game, it would have been a great camp. It's all down to results eh?
    I ment was I tried to get more information on what happened but was told it did not go well end of story.
    You would think the camp would be in a better place after it but if anything it went backwards with the way they played against Galway.
    Why did they go with the short kick out was this what they worked on in London if it was it was a a piss poor effort.

Fermanagh will be tough and I expect it to be very close come the end but with us at home surly we can get the win

Stoner wrote: »

Honestly, I think there was plenty that came together just right for Donegal that year that had very little to do with Cassidy being dropped. 2012 was an immense year for them where virtually all the boxes were ticked. I don't think we can say the same for Mayo this year. We are down to the bare bones of our squad in some positions due to the seemingly never-ending list of injuries. It's fine to talk about dropping people as some sort of punitive exercise if you have a plan in place to deal with their absence or, as in cases of teams with greater squad depth, an able and willing replacement. We would all love for there to be multiple solid options in every position so that starting positions aren't a foregone conclusion, but we don't have that luxury right now. We could argue about bringing through U21s, but the reality there is that most of them are simply not ready for the step up yet and some of them might never be ready for that step. I don't disagree at all that it might not be the worst thing in the world for some players to see a spell on the bench and in an ideal world I can think of a couple I'd leave out, but I'm not sure Mayo are really in a position right now to do things that way.

And I know people think O'Shea should be dropped. I think O'Shea needs to play midfield. This is the position in which he has played his best football and I think it's the position he feels most comfortable in. He is not benefitting from the chopping and changing roles. This, amongst other things perhaps, is part of the reason he's been in poorer form recently. All just my opinion, obviously.

I've just never heard of a team do well that the players had a lot of power in.

Mayo have a decent squad. COC is a free taker of extraordinary accuracy, is he a fantastic player on the ball? not imo, AOS can be alright when on form and his head is right, and he's around long enough now to have his head right. As much as I like Horan it would be a different dynamic if he returned now imo, different lads.
    I assumed that the Mayo players have the manager they fought for ?
    But players need to know that their position is not guaranteed. Dublin don't have a bunch of Connolly's or Cluxtons but both know that the team will move on without them. McGuinnes understood that too, it's a good example though, Cassidy was highly regarded.
    Zero negativity in the Donegal dressing room. Imagine all the BS that policy cut out.

PressRun wrote:
    And I know people think O'Shea should be dropped. I think O'Shea needs to play midfield. This is the position in which he has played his best football and I think it's the position he feels most comfortable in. He is not benefitting from the chopping and changing roles. This, amongst other things perhaps, is part of the reason he's been in poorer form recently. All just my opinion, obviously.

That's true alright he has looked best in midfield. Very exciting to have him at 14 but it doesn't appear to be his best spot.

He wins more frees out the field too, inside he wins less for more or less the same tackles..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement