Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

mayo.mick wrote: »
    He walked, the week of a Connacht Final

LMAO, there are many ways to get rid of someone..., you just make him think he is doing it.

Stoner wrote: »
    That's true alright he has looked best in midfield. Very exciting to have him at 14 but it doesn't appear to be his best spot.

He wins more frees out the field too, inside he wins less for more or less the same tackles..

I think O'Shea can offer the team the best at FF (its all about the team) ...We have enough at midfield imo. The issue is that we don't know how to use him properly and feed off him. The ball into him is terrible at times. I remember the kerry game and the ball in was shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think O'Shea can offer the team the best at FF ...We have enough at midfield imo. The issue is that we don't know how to use him properly and feed off him. The ball into him is terrible at times. I remember the kerry game and the ball in was shocking.

True need to move past him not winning enough frees , most big men suffer the same treatment.
    I think wherever he plays his ability to carry the ball and break a tackle should be utilised.

Stoner wrote: »
    I've just never heard of a team do well that the players had a lot of power in.

Mayo have a decent squad. COC is a free taker of extraordinary accuracy, is he a fantastic player on the ball? not imo, AOS can be alright when on form and his head is right, and he's around long enough now to have his head right. As much as I like Horan it would be a different dynamic if he returned now imo, different lads.
    I assumed that the Mayo players have the manager they fought for ?
    But players need to know that their position is not guaranteed. Dublin don't have a bunch of Connolly's or Cluxtons but both know that the team will move on without them. McGuinnes understood that too, it's a good example though, Cassidy was highly regarded.
    Zero negativity in the Donegal dressing room. Imagine all the BS that policy cut out.

Look I am with you on this and Gavin takes no prisoners. The players know that and he gets no BS from them. Its all about the manager and how strong he is. Horan is a strong manager as well and that's why he did so well. Ok he didn't deliver the AL but by god he gave it his all. I don't think anyone would question Horan's desire and drive. I have great respect for him because he got rid of all the circus around the Mayo setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Every time mayo go through a bad patch absolute RUBBISH comes out about CoC and AOS. Every single time . From "lads on the Internet " . When asked for solid info all we get back is "I've heard Rumours "
    It's up there now with the McDonald /Maughan Rumours which won't be repeated
    Absolute BS
    These guys are amateur sportsmen with families , girlfriends and children ! They do not deserve unsubtanstiated ****e being spouted by keyboard warriors.
    So back to onfield activities.its a great draw for mayo. Fully expect a response and if we don't get it they will have 12 months off simple as that.
    Cillian needs game time so the extra games will hopefully bring him on .
    Hennelly has got to be under pressure in goals now as we are lucky to have Clarke as well.
    AOS is suffering IMO from not having a defined role. He needs to be picked in one position and left there for a large portion of the game .
    Anyway I think we will win and will have a long summer again

km79 wrote: »
    Every time mayo go through a bad patch absolute RUBBISH comes out about CoC and AOS. Every single time . From "lads on the Internet " . When asked for solid info all we get back is "I've heard Rumours "
    It's up there now with the McDonald /Maughan Rumours which won't be repeated
    Absolute BS
    These guys are amateur sportsmen with families , girlfriends and children ! They do not deserve unsubtanstiated ****e being spouted by keyboard warriors.

This was inevitable after H&C especially when a poor loss came in. It is well sprouted among the Mayo GAA circles and not just on GAA forums so I wouldn't go plastering users because they express an opinion.

Anyway, I hope DOC comes in for Doherty, Freeman for AOS and Clarke for Hennelly. I think the Galway game should bring on SOS and Parsons. A dry ball would suit us better as well as we let some amount of ball fall from our hands the last day

This was inevitable after H&C especially when a poor loss came in. It is well sprouted among the Mayo GAA circles and not just on GAA forums so I wouldn't go plastering users because they express an opinion.

Anyway, I hope DOC comes in for Doherty, Freeman for AOS and Clarke for Hennelly. I think the Galway game should bring on SOS and Parsons. A dry ball would suit us better as well as we let some amount of ball fall from our hands the last day
    I have seen very specific and most likely very untrue "Rumours " posted about the 2 boys before horan went
    Slanderous comments truth be told . Every time there is a bad loss it comes back to their "bad relationship".
    They are not the first to fall victims of our supporters who form judgements on the person based on the player . It's not on tbh . They are mayo clubmen like the rest of us

I have seen very specific and most likely very untrue "Rumours " posted about the 2 boys before horan went
    Slanderous comments truth be told . Every time there is a bad loss it comes back to their "bad relationship".
    They are not the first to fall victims of our supporters who form judgements on the person based on the player . It's not on tbh . They are mayo clubmen like the rest of us

I was never aware of the bad relationship but I don't particularly see an issue just because they are not buddies. That's something for Rochford to sort if it is. You can't like everyone.

Anyway, I hope they come out with the right attitude and the work rate returns

I was never aware of the bad relationship but I don't particularly see an issue just because they are not buddies. That's something for Rochford to sort if it is. You can't like everyone.

Anyway, I hope they come out with the right attitude and the work rate returns

I don't think they are aware of it either!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Horan revolutionised Mayo football, it would be a shame to see it regress to the bad old days of poor preparation etc.

Hopefully a performance v Fermanagh and beyond will put the rumours to bed for the year.

As for the team itself, the problem with AOS is that it has been difficult to find a place where he fits in best.
    One year he is midfield, next its half forward, next its full forward.
    The FF role is fine when there is loads of time and space to get good balls into him, but as we saw last year against the better teams he suddenly becomes isolated when that supply is closed down.

I personally think his best performances have been in the middle and maybe that's where he goes.
    Without doubt dropping him might wake him up a bit, he has often gone missing when the question has really been asked, but I don't think we have the squad to afford to drop him.

Anyway, I'd put AOS and Parsons at midfield, with Seamus as an impact sub.
    The half forward spot may then be taken by Conor O Shea, I may be way off with that but I know he played there before and possibly as recently as the league.

I'd put Loftus in the corner with Cillian in the middle and Regan in the other corner.

As for the backs I think the most important thing is to keep Higgins back there to add a bit of expetienc with the loss of Cafferkey and Cuniffe. It would be great to see Keane develop into a real top cladd full back but I'm afraid that ship may have sailed.

When ate the CCCC due to set the date and time for the game by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

As for the match, Fermanagh are the toughest opponents we could have drawn. I would feel somewhat anxious going into this simply because I don't know if the problems we have at present are fixable in three weeks. I think Cafferky, given the form he was in recently, is a big loss (though Keane was one of our only decent performers the last day). I'm interested to see what the attitude is like most of all. I'm hopeful, but wouldn't be that shocked if Fermanagh pulled it off.

Horan revolutionised Mayo football, it would be a shame to see it regress to the bad old days of poor preparation etc.

Hopefully a performance v Fermanagh and beyond will put the rumours to bed for the year.

As for the team itself, the problem with AOS is that it has been difficult to find a place where he fits in best.
    One year he is midfield, next its half forward, next its full forward.
    The FF role is fine when there is loads of time and space to get good balls into him, but as we saw last year against the better teams he suddenly becomes isolated when that supply is closed down.

I personally think his best performances have been in the middle and maybe that's where he goes.
    Without doubt dropping him might wake him up a bit, he has often gone missing when the question has really been asked, but I don't think we have the squad to afford to drop him.

Anyway, I'd put AOS and Parsons at midfield, with Seamus as an impact sub.
    The half forward spot may then be taken by Conor O Shea, I may be way off with that but I know he played there before and possibly as recently as the league.

I'd put Loftus in the corner with Cillian in the middle and Regan in the other corner.

As for the backs I think the most important thing is to keep Higgins back there to add a bit of expetienc with the loss of Cafferkey and Cuniffe. It would be great to see Keane develop into a real top cladd full back but I'm afraid that ship may have sailed.

When ate the CCCC due to set the date and time for the game by the way
    Agree on Higgins and AOS . Pick a position and play them there . Stop messing them around
    Higgins HAS GOT TO be played corner back from now on. End of "experiment "
    I'd prob play Aidan at 11 and Seamie centre Field. Will be interesting to see which way Rochford goes .
    Clarke in goals for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

PressRun wrote: »
    As for the match, Fermanagh are the toughest opponents we could have drawn. I would feel somewhat anxious going into this simply because I don't know if the problems we have at present are fixable in three weeks. I think Cafferky, given the form he was in recently, is a big loss (though Keane was one of our only decent performers the last day). I'm interested to see what the attitude is like most of all. I'm hopeful, but wouldn't be that shocked if Fermanagh pulled it off.
    Fermanagh could be the "Iceland" of the qualifiers. There is NO room for complacency.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Agree on Higgins and AOS . Pick a position and play them there . Stop messing them around
    Higgins HAS GOT TO be played corner back from now on. End of "experiment "
    I'd prob play Aidan at 11 and Seamie centre Field. Will be interesting to see which way Rochford goes .
    Clarke in goals for me

It's amazing we all have opinions on where various players should be played.:)Aidan O Shea best position for me is in the middle of the park.For whatever reason the full forward experiment has failed,poor delivery and totally inadequate support for Aidan.He cuts a very frustrated figure to me with all his moving around and lack of success in same.He is super ball winner,monster of a man and has an excellent skillset...his mobility and stamina is what concerns me on occasion.Certainly if things are'nt working out one can mix things up.

Seamus O Shea is a real concern form wise but he is truly too good a footballer not to be able to extricate himself out of this rut.We're a bit short in a historically strong area with Jason Gibbon's championship ending injury,not too sure what's the story with Barry Moran.Maybe it's time to give Stephen Coen some more championship experience.

No doubt about it,Zippy needs to hold the corner berth.On the same page,I believe David Clarke deserves a start in goals.

Barry Moran has been injured supposedly but I think I read he got some game time for Castlebar over the weekend, so perhaps he's getting back into the swing of things. I do agree that Seamie has struggled with form recently and Stephen Coen deserves a go too. He has contributed to the scoreboard the last two matches, I believe.

• Advertisement

REMINDER: Connacht GAA Minor Semi-Final Leitrim GAA v Mayo, tomorrow evening 7.30pm in Pairc Sean Mac Diarmada, Carrick on Shannon.

you have got to admire Andy. You just know he loves his football http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=257322

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

He was in some form before the knee injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

Not alone did "Michael Jackson " walk the week of a Connacht final he got momma to write a letter for him.tell Andy Moran the grainuaille concert in Westport are looking for dancers.he might be interested.his dancing days in salthill are finished.gaillimh Abu

Jesus they are all out this weather. Suppose it's early in the summer yet . Who will still be talking in August .........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Jesus they are all out this weather. Suppose it's early in the summer yet . Who will still be talking in August .........

I think we are dealing with a headless chicken! :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100082166

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

yop wrote: »
    I think we are dealing with a headless chicken! :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100082166

Very good!

Their typography and punctuation needs work too....... must be the lack of any head :D

Not alone did "Michael Jackson " walk the week of a Connacht final he got momma to write a letter for him.tell Andy Moran the grainuaille concert in Westport are looking for dancers.he might be interested.his dancing days in salthill are finished.gaillimh Abu

Get it right if you are going to slag him... it "Micheal"... your not a gringo anyway
    Moran gave yer defenders many merry dances in salthill over the years and who knows there could be more to come!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Half time minor semi final scores.
    Leitrim 0-6
    Mayo 3-3.
    Live commentary on Mid West.

Galway giving Roscommon a bit of a chasing in the other one despite having shipped a couple of black cards.
    Roscommon 0-2.
    Galway 2-7.

Full time in the minor match:

Mayo 4-11
    Leitrim 1-08

Ryan O'Donoghue scored 3-4 and got Man of the Match. Sounded like a strong performance overall from the FF line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Does anyone know what the situation is with tickets/season ticket for Saturday's match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

It's on Saturday week. The match will be same as another other game, attendance will be counted and we will be charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

statto25 wrote: »
    It's on Saturday week. The match will be same as another other game, attendance will be counted and we will be charged.

Thanks! I thought it was this weekend... I'm abroad so I'm out of the loop! Just needed to know for the folks at home :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Thanks! I thought it was this weekend... I'm abroad so I'm out of the loop! Just needed to know for the folks at home :)

Its on Saturday the 9th and "Dublin Joe" is reffing it. At what time though is still anybodies guess. Supposed to be announced on Monday last.

Its on Saturday the 9th and "Dublin Joe" is reffing it. At what time though is still anybodies guess. Supposed to be announced on Monday last.

Its always case with the GAA.

Why can't the time be announced on the day its supposed to be and if there is a delay why can't they tell us why and when the time will be announced.

• Advertisement

Its always case with the GAA.

Why can't the time be announced on the day its supposed to be and if there is a delay why can't they tell us why and when the time will be announced.

I've a feeling its to do with sky

Quite like the 7PM games....:D,keeping the fingers crossed.

I've a feeling its to do with sky

They announced Monaghan/Donegal v Longford for 19:00 Saturday 9th straight away, i.e. the day they were supposed to announce them,
    So I presumed that would be the Sky game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

It's an absolute disgrace they have not announced the time yet. I need to see if I have to book the day off work and I am sure many others feel the same. What about people trying to organise travel from Fermanagh or those interested in booking accommodation? How this could take a week to organise I will never know. Thats regardless if Sky are involved or not!!!!

seligehgit wrote: »
    Quite like the 7PM games....:D,keeping the fingers crossed.

Mayo news podcast reviewing the Galway game is now available.

One point they made was that the atmosphere in McHale Park was dead from the get go, and I agree, for some reason it was very subdued, even when Mayo were on top.

I think the fans, myself included, could be accused of complacency.

One point they made was that the atmosphere in McHale Park was dead from the get go, and I agree, for some reason it was very subdued, even when Mayo were on top.

Agreed
    I think in many many ways a galway win may be a good thing in the long run

I know not related (but kinda, sorry) whats the story with the Connacht final? Rossies and Galway still haven't recieved tickets. No mention of the match either on gaa.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I know not related (but kinda, sorry) whats the story with the Connacht final? Rossies and Galway still haven't recieved tickets. No mention of the match either on gaa.ie?

Been done away with this after Mayo's exit I heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Just got a season ticket email saying Pay & Play will be deducted on Monday, opt-out by midnight Sun night.
    Yet it also states that the time is yet to be confirmed.

This is F***ing ridiculous.

Note: It doesn't affect me, as I will be there regardless, but as others have pointed out, some need to take time off work, arrange travel, etc.

• Advertisement

Mayo GAA twitter is now saying throw in time will be announced Monday.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Or a shed load of us were fked around by Connaught Council and kicked out of seats. Some season ticket holders walked out.
    Plenty around me when I ended up out in the corners weren't even bothered watching, all chatting away. :rolleyes:

I noticed Elverys have just announced a sponsorship deal with Connacht Rugby.

Could this have implications for Mayo GAA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I noticed Elverys have just announced a sponsorship deal with Connacht Rugby.

Could this have implications for Mayo GAA?

Why would it? They also sponsor Tipp GAA and now Mayo ladies. They are more likely to drop the tipp sponsorship than the long standing Mayo one if it became an issue.

statto25 wrote: »
    Why would it? They also sponsor Tipp GAA and now Mayo ladies. They are more likely to drop the tipp sponsorship than the long standing Mayo one if it became an issue.

Possibly, I just thought they might feel they've reached the pinnacle of their exposure with Mayo and judge Connacht will give more bang for their buck.

yop wrote: »
    Plenty around me when I ended up out in the corners weren't even bothered watching, all chatting away. :rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prawn_sandwich_brigade

• Advertisement

Only one day left to find our what time the Fermanagh match is on and whether it will be on Sky TV.

I can't f***in wait

Only one day left to find our what time the Fermanagh match is on and whether it will be on Sky TV.

I can't f***in wait

Hoping its not 7pm
    I want time the other end to hopefully enjoy a few pints at home in mayo !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Hoping its not 7pm
    I want time the other end to hopefully enjoy a few pints at home in mayo !

It's in castlebar

naughto wrote: »
    It's in castlebar

I know but my hometown is not castlebar and I'll be driving :D
    4/5pm thrown in be ideal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Tough road for you guys now. Looking like it'll be Cork or Monaghan in the next round, with possibly Tyrone/Donegal in the 4th round. Granted if ye get by those (favourite in every game at least) you'll have serious momentum come the AIQF

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement