Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

naughto wrote: »
    Leaving Kevin moloughlin on that long was shocking from the side line.
    4points up and to concead 3 goals in 10 mins and they where soft goals it's like we forgot how to defend

First one came from Hennelly tieing his laces (trying to waste time?) then rushing the kickout. It was in the goal 10 seconds later and that was the catalyst IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

My goodness, will Mayo ever get a management team who can plan a strategy, react to situations and basically show some savvy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Sure **** it we go again. Hopefully the manager duo will be disbanded. Awful disappointed for me clubman Higgins who was last to leave the field.

On the game itself Keegan miss was big turning point. DOC and Durkan great finds this year. Add to the unlucky Regan were still in good shape for another AI semi in 2016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I thought when O Shea got the black card was the turning point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

liam7831 wrote: »

Yes, it was too early to bring Andy Moran on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I think positional, tactical and personnel issues must play second fiddle to the fact Mayo looked legless in response to Dublin upping the tempo after the goal. Once Dublin committed runners McMahon, COS, McCarthy, Fitzsimons and cut out the poor mistakes Mayo looked helpless. Reminiscent of the 2012 i thought.

Great game though. Excellent scores on both sides and played in the right spirit. Seemed to be no grudges with genuine respect at the final whistle. Redemption somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Gutted. Yet again.

Mayo are masters at finding new ways to lose every year.

Despite not playing all that well, we were in a winning position after the goal. Then The Fear kicked in and instead of pushing on we started fannying about trying to run the clock down...absolute madness.

Is there an All Ireland in this current squad?? I think there might be but they'll need to show a lot more bottle than they did today. Let's hope they can refocus and regroup in the coming months and have another crack at it next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Is there an All Ireland in this current squad??

No without a change in management, these pair are clueless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

This is it here. To start delaying tactics so early in the second half was so silly.

Always felt like it was going to bite ye in the ass.

Im not so sure it was delaying tactics. When you have the ball in the modern game it is vital you keep it, use it well and I thought Mayo were doing just that. It is energy sapping to try and win ball back and to be fair Dublin looked out on their feet.

I think the difference was when Dublin got on top they kept possession waited for an opening and went for it. At times 3 Dubs were running at 2 Mayo players. On one occasion when Mayo won the ball back there were 11 Mayo players within 30 yards of Mayo goal and the players didn't have the energy to get back up the field so the few Mayo forwards were left with a blanket of Dublin defence to break down which was near impossible for any team to do, be it Kerry, Cork or anyone else.. Dublin tried to keep the ball last week and continue to attack instead of relaxing and waiting and Mayo punished them. Today they mixed it better.

Neither would I blame the management. Mayo didn't get Kevin McLoughlin on to the ball enough and when he had to go looking he was away from where he could do most damager! They like Jim Gavin are dealing with amateur players. I dont like how deep tactics have got. I think Mayo need to play lads in their best positions, leave Higgins, Keegan, Boyle, Barrett where they can play to their full potential same with A.O'S. There are good man markers but as far as possible I believe Mayo didnt play to their strengths, they have a good defence and with players like Mayo have Dublin forwards would have their hands full, same can be said of Dublin so neither got the best out of the marquee players. Keegan/Connolly cancelled each other out with Keegan probably shading that duel. Look where the Mayo scores came from last week when they needed them Higgins Keegan and Barrett or Boyle for the penalty.

While a lot of the Mayo fans are sick tonight spare a thought for the players. Today for long spells they showed great class and more importantly at the final whistle they showed it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

fullstop wrote: »
    First one came from Hennelly tieing his laces (trying to waste time?) then rushing the kickout. It was in the goal 10 seconds later and that was the catalyst IMO.

I think that the first goal was caused by management not being fast enough to get AOS out to midfield to cover Fenton, he made the run for the game, having previously being marked by SOS. Usually teams would go through little things like that, what happens if someone in the full back line gets the line, half back etc. Little things like that make the difference
    No without a change in management, these pair are clueless

What I didn't get in the first half was AOS was being marked by three men, first two balls that came in came back out. Mayo also got a couple of scoreable frees when they ran at the Dublin defense. So instead of lumping the ball in and basically giving it to Dublin, either get AOS or SOS driving hard at the backs and drawing the free. Everyone could see that Mayo were getting those frees from Dublin indiscipline, so use it

• Advertisement

I think that the first goal was caused by management not being fast enough to get AOS out to midfield to cover Fenton, he made the run for the game, having previously being marked by SOS. Usually teams would go through little things like that, what happens if someone in the full back line gets the line, half back etc. Little things like that make the difference

O Shea was marking Fenton at the time. He didn't have the legs to make up the ground. Nothing to do with the management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Fair play to Dublin, the better team overall. I thought Seamie's black card was the turning point. Completely lost our composure after that.

I thought the ref did remarkably well - we're usually quick to judge and complain, on this occasion I think he pretty much did everything right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Blackjack wrote: »
    Fair play to Dublin, the better team overall. I thought Seamie's black card was the turning point. Completely lost our composure after that.

I thought the ref did remarkably well - we're usually quick to judge and complain, on this occasion I think he pretty much did everything right.

Yep ref made the game, probably alittle quick with the whistle but that was possibly on purpose to ensure he kept full control.
    He played lots of advantage, allowed quick frees, got most things spot on and has a good way with the players.
    He was 100 percent right giving the black card to o shea. It was idiotic what o shea did and I say that as a mayo man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

I need to think long and hard before I put a post of where the game was won and lost...but some bullet points and initial thoughts from what I seen:
    1. credit both sets of players for a great game...in particular instances like AOS when he got the slap on the face as he went in low for the tackle in the first half....he even gestured to Kinsella that there was nothing in it. Overall a great exhibition by amateur players
    2. Don't know if I can agree with the sentiments on previous posts for blaming management. I felt for years that J Horan was slow to make changes on the line, surely the new management couldn't be the same. From being tactically aware in the game against Donegal, they did not become the sloppy management over night that some posts claim them to be. Sometimes players need to be held accountable.
    3. I think the black card for SOS was a massive blow...cant understand what came over him. Still think it was a yellow not a black. The game went down him for Mayo from there. Twas probably a bot early to being AM on at that stage. If I am correct a black card is for 5 things:
    A. Bodycheck
    B. Deliberate trip
    C. Dragging a player down
    D. Mouthing off
    E. Lashing out at the referee.
    Don't know how it could be deemed to be a black card.
    4. Don't feel Donie should have started. Seemed totally off the pace at times and was holding the shoulder. The one handed block on Ciaran Kilkenny in the first few minutes said it all.
    5. I think Higgins is one of the finest players to ever wear the Mayo jersey and I admire him so much, but I just felt at while he was great pressing forward he seemed tactically naive at organising the defence when the pressure came on. People seemed at sixes and sevens at times and chasing the ball aimlessly. He has looked a little off the pace lately...I suppose I want him to stay young forever but seriously being turned the last day and with paddy Andrews getting 5 points from play today off him and Bernard running amok on chris I am slightly worried. I don't see any natural leader in the back six currently.
    6. The whole AOS experiment seemed at odds again today. I don't know whether we were trying to vary the tactic or not use that channel to much but we put a handful of balls into him today and they were desperate. They were over cooked, too high, in on top of the keeper and floating in the air and the couple that did go in there was no one coming off the shoulder to assist. A few times we had to slow the play down at the crucial stage to allow help to arrive in the box. Needs to be a priority for next year to address the game plan
    7. Dropping the ball into the keepers hands. Seen it against Donegal and despite doing it again the last day we did it again today...aka Leeroy to put us five up. Put the f**ken thing wide if anything, it will slow the restart if nothing else.
    8. Them bastards on the sunday game...if I have to listen to spillane and brolly tell us about conceding goals or not killing the game off when we had the chance or us being the eternal masters of out own despise...I mean seriously put a bloody sock in it
    9. I am unsure who I want to win the all Ireland. At this stage much as I hate the dubs I would like them to win and at least we will have been beaten by the all Ireland champions
    10. Kevin Macmanam...will he ever f**k off and stop coming on as a sub and scoring goals
    11. Diarmuid O C....deffo young player of the year and might even sneak an all star. Durcan great find as well and after 100 mins against a team like Dublin he has a lot to be proud of. Serious year for parsons as well. Overall the importance of unearthing new players is crucial. It is inevitable that next year we will loose dillion and maybe andy, but the importance of gently bringing in some of the 2013 all Ireland winning team is priority. The lack of winning at under 21 level is of concern to me. we have been shocking at this grade in recent years.
    12. McLoughlin and Doherty not being effective for large parts of the game...out of only having 6 forwards we cant afford to have thirty per cent of them disappearing during games. In saying that Connolly and dean rock were less than effective for the dubs today.
    13. They team owe us nothing overall. Seriously great entertainment for the year. Five in a row and seven all Ireland semis in 5 years we have a lot to be proud off. I am hoping for the county board run out the club championship fast and by end of oct the lads can take three months off and live a little. They are not machines after all and do have wives, girlfriends, children etc.
    14. Looking forward already to 2016, getting on the road and giving the rossies a hammering in the FBD and the league
    15. Maigh Eo abhu...on wards and upwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

corny wrote: »
    O Shea was marking Fenton at the time. He didn't have the legs to make up the ground. Nothing to do with the management.

Ya, fairly sure he was all right. But definitely the wrong player to pick up Fenton. Probably the most mobile midfielder in the game and Mayo placed the pedestrian Aidan O'Shea on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Blackjack wrote: »

Thought it was the first Dublin goal meself, A Moran was doing okay wasn't he? Has SOS ever lost the rag like that, seemed disproportionate retaliation to a standard bit of obstruction...
    But I mean if you're gonna fall to pieces when the opposition raises the green flag you're gonna struggle at the business end of the championship...

washman3 wrote: »
    Ya, fairly sure he was all right. But definitely the wrong player to pick up Fenton. Probably the most mobile midfielder in the game and Mayo placed the pedestrian Aidan O'Shea on him.

Tbh he's up **** creek against Dublin. He found keeping up with McMahon an equally impossible task.

Ascii wrote: »
    8. Them bastards on the sunday game...if I have to listen to spillane and brolly tell us about conceding goals or not killing the game off when we had the chance or us being the eternal masters of out own despise...I mean seriously put a bloody sock in it

Its just confirmation bias with Brolly. No matter what happens or what question Michael Lyster asks him you knew he was gonna talk about the 'central channel', 'Colm Boyle' etc. If he asked him about the weather he would have led with you've got to protect the central....

Spillane just agrees with him or doesn't argue because he's not capable of following anything that resembles, or sounds like in Brollys case, cogent analysis. All about Intinsity for Pat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I need to think long and hard before I put a post of where the game was won and lost...but some bullet points and initial thoughts from what I seen:
    1. credit both sets of players for a great game...in particular instances like AOS when he got the slap on the face as he went in low for the tackle in the first half....he even gestured to Kinsella that there was nothing in it. Overall a great exhibition by amateur players
    2. Don't know if I can agree with the sentiments on previous posts for blaming management. I felt for years that J Horan was slow to make changes on the line, surely the new management couldn't be the same. From being tactically aware in the game against Donegal, they did not become the sloppy management over night that some posts claim them to be. Sometimes players need to be held accountable.
    3. I think the black card for SOS was a massive blow...cant understand what came over him. Still think it was a yellow not a black. The game went down him for Mayo from there. Twas probably a bot early to being AM on at that stage. If I am correct a black card is for 5 things:
    A. Bodycheck
    B. Deliberate trip
    D. Mouthing off
    4. Don't feel Donie should have started. Seemed totally off the pace at times and was holding the shoulder. The one handed block on Ciaran Kilkenny in the first few minutes said it all.
    5. I think Higgins is one of the finest players to ever wear the Mayo jersey and I admire him so much, but I just felt at while he was great pressing forward he seemed tactically naive at organising the defence when the pressure came on. People seemed at sixes and sevens at times and chasing the ball aimlessly. He has looked a little off the pace lately...I suppose I want him to stay young forever but seriously being turned the last day and with paddy Andrews getting 5 points from play today off him and Bernard running amok on chris I am slightly worried. I don't see any natural leader in the back six currently.
    6. The whole AOS experiment seemed at odds again today. I don't know whether we were trying to vary the tactic or not use that channel to much but we put a handful of balls into him today and they were desperate. They were over cooked, too high, in on top of the keeper and floating in the air and the couple that did go in there was no one coming off the shoulder to assist. A few times we had to slow the play down at the crucial stage to allow help to arrive in the box. Needs to be a priority for next year to address the game plan
    7. Dropping the ball into the keepers hands. Seen it against Donegal and despite doing it again the last day we did it again today...aka Leeroy to put us five up. Put the f**ken thing wide if anything, it will slow the restart if nothing else.
    9. I am unsure who I want to win the all Ireland. At this stage much as I hate the dubs I would like them to win and at least we will have been beaten by the all Ireland champions
    10. Kevin Macmanam...will he ever f**k off and stop coming on as a sub and scoring goals
    11. Diarmuid O C....deffo young player of the year and might even sneak an all star. Durcan great find as well and after 100 mins against a team like Dublin he has a lot to be proud of. Serious year for parsons as well. Overall the importance of unearthing new players is crucial. It is inevitable that next year we will loose dillion and maybe andy, but the importance of gently bringing in some of the 2013 all Ireland winning team is priority. The lack of winning at under 21 level is of concern to me. we have been shocking at this grade in recent years.
    12. McLoughlin and Doherty not being effective for large parts of the game...out of only having 6 forwards we cant afford to have thirty per cent of them disappearing during games. In saying that Connolly and dean rock were less than effective for the dubs today.
    13. They team owe us nothing overall. Seriously great entertainment for the year. Five in a row and seven all Ireland semis in 5 years we have a lot to be proud off. I am hoping for the county board run out the club championship fast and by end of oct the lads can take three months off and live a little. They are not machines after all and do have wives, girlfriends, children etc.
    14. Looking forward already to 2016, getting on the road and giving the rossies a hammering in the FBD and the league

That is a great post. Agree with just about everything you say in particular points
    1. A. O'S showed the right spirit in that incident. Players are moving so quickly and are so strong a simple slap can do serious damage. But a lot of these lads have gone to collage together and know each other and despite last weeks game all can be proud of the what they served us in the last 2 games

5 Higgins is one of the finest players I have ever seen, on a par with most of the great Kerry players and arguably the best player over the last 5 years but like Paul Flynn looks very flat at moment. They should not play any football in the national league at all.

6 The whole tactical thing to me is a pain in the ass. When you have players like Higgins, Barrett Boyle Keegan A.O'S, Cillian OConnor let the other teams worry about you. While teams plan for the opposition what damage is it doing their own game. Keegan followed Connolly to edge of the square. Connolly was having a poor game but I think it took away a serious threat from the Mayo armoury

8 Them B****RDS on the Sunday game..... We felt exactly like that last week when it was felt Dublin players were unfairly singled out by McStay. I spoke to Pat Spillane and he genuinely felt, like me Mayo could win the All-Ireland this year

10 I wish he would play a full game for Dublin. Played against us last year in club game and the fckr destroyed us. He is deceptively big and quick and very hard to tackle

12. Felt McLoughlin didnt get on the ball enough or Mayo didn't use him enough. Very good player

13, 14 & 15.
    Bang on here. We all forget the sacrifices these lads make. After games we can go for a drink or a bag of chips while these lads are planning a recovery session, work or collage, seeing their families and missing out on a lot of stuff. Every lad who took part in these games should be given a holiday for him and his partner and kids. WE OWE THEM.

• Advertisement

What I didn't get in the first half was AOS was being marked by three men, first two balls that came in came back out. Mayo also got a couple of scoreable frees when they ran at the Dublin defense. So instead of lumping the ball in and basically giving it to Dublin, either get AOS or SOS driving hard at the backs and drawing the free. Everyone could see that Mayo were getting those frees from Dublin indiscipline, so use it

Some very naive management decisions today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Absolutely gutted for the players,heartbreaking.We seemed to run out of steam,that's about all I'm fit to say at the moment.:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

A. Bodycheck
    B. Deliberate trip
    D. Mouthing off

1) Must agree with this. Felt the players showed a lot of class today. Even at the end, seeing O'Sé swap jerseys with Connolly was nice. They showed a lot more class than the fans who were booing today.

3) At the time, I assumed it was going to be yellow too. But I guess he did technically drag him down.....

4) On TV, Dessie Dolan had this pegged straight away. Dessie Dolan seems to be pretty sharp when looking at defenders and seeing if they are 'right'. I'd wonder if Vaughan knew he wasn't 100% and still played. Fairly selfish if he did - bit like Mcateer in 2002 world cup. If you're injured and not 100% you need to say it as you are not doing the team any favours by starting when you are not fit.

11) Terrific season for him. I'd give him YPOTY. Lacked support in the HF line though, but great ball carrier and should get better with age. A great prospect for Mayo.

12) I am really shocked they lasted as long as they did in both matches. I thought both were terrible. I am not too familiar with Mayo's bench so maybe they have nobody better? I assume Alan Dillion is finished now when he didn't come on. It was crying out for some new blood in the HF line. I was a big fan of McLoughlin when he first appeared as a half back for Mayo. He has never fully convinced me in the forwards though. He is good at carrying the ball, but his shooting lacks conviction. Even when he takes frees, there seems to be a lack of confidence in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I am a Dub, but I have to say it was a great performance by Mayo. It is a match that they looked like they could win, but then it all changed. In most other eras, this Mayo team would have won All-Irelands. A bit like the great Ulster and Connacht teams of the mid 70s to early 80s, when Dublin and Kerry were having their golden eras, they have just come up against teams that were eve better than them. The current Mayo team are better than the Ulster and Connacht teams of that time. Most GAA fans would like to see this Mayo team win an All-Ireland. Cursed they may be, but not by a funeral in 1951, but by coming up against better teams and by not making the most of their opportunities. It is not much consolation now, but there is always next year. If Dublin are not to win it in 2016, then it would be great to see Mayo win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

I'm not at all certain that Dublin were a better team than Mayo today. Seanus O Shea, Hennelly and a few other Mayo players lost concentration when they were 4 points up 1-11 to 0-10.
    What was Hennelly at with the gloves before the kick out that preceded the first goal? There is no excuse for that type of schoolyard stuff in an All Ireland semi final and Dublin grabbed their chance eagerly.
    Even if Brogan did throw the ball for the next goal, the keeper should have got to a floating ball before any forward so I'm blaming Hennelly for this loss as Mayo were well on top all over the field up to that point.
    Yes I know he didn't mean it but that gloves fiasco is a new one on me and I dont understand why he should have been changing his gloves at such a crucial time.
    These games hinge on small things and once again the Foxford curse seems to have come back to haunt a fine Mayo team.
    They are still guilty of some very amateurish behaviour and bad decision making but are now the second best football team on this Island IMHO.
    By that I think Dublin will steamroll a Kerry team that have reached this final by virtue of a few strange refereeing decisions and their usual ability to capitalise on the mistakes of other teams.
    This Dublin team don't make many mistakes and for that reason I feel they will be far too strong for Kerry unless they have to beat a crooked ref which is a real possibility when we examine how these whistlers are appointed and who appoints them.
    Ireland unfree will never be at peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

wackokid wrote: »
    This Dublin team don't make many mistakes and for that reason I feel they will be far too strong for Kerry unless they have to beat a crooked ref which is a real possibility when we examine how these whistlers are appointed and who appoints them.
    What do you mean no mistakes when they threw away a seven point lead against Mayo last Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭superbluedub

Kayleigh.. wrote: »
    What do you mean no mistakes when they threw away a seven point lead against Mayo last Sunday?

actually he said many mistakes,also Dublin were undercooked for the first game as this was the first div 1 team them had met since april,
    well that was the spill the press was putting out anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

As a sligoman im genuinely gutted for mayo. Midway through the second half they had the game in the palm of there hands. But they lost the plot then entirely. No question they are good enough to win an all ireland.

wackokid wrote: »
    I'm not at all certain that Dublin were a better team than Mayo today. Seanus O Shea, Hennelly and a few other Mayo players lost concentration when they were 4 points up 1-11 to 0-10.
    What was Hennelly at with the gloves before the kick out that preceded the first goal? There is no excuse for that type of schoolyard stuff in an All Ireland semi final and Dublin grabbed their chance eagerly.
    Even if Brogan did throw the ball for the next goal, the keeper should have got to a floating ball before any forward so I'm blaming Hennelly for this loss as Mayo were well on top all over the field up to that point.
    Yes I know he didn't mean it but that gloves fiasco is a new one on me and I dont understand why he should have been changing his gloves at such a crucial time.
    These games hinge on small things and once again the Foxford curse seems to have come back to haunt a fine Mayo team.
    They are still guilty of some very amateurish behaviour and bad decision making but are now the second best football team on this Island IMHO.
    By that I think Dublin will steamroll a Kerry team that have reached this final by virtue of a few strange refereeing decisions and their usual ability to capitalise on the mistakes of other teams.

If you watch it they were never on top. After the goal in the 41st minute they created one chance for Lee Keegan right after and that was it from play. There were no other chances for Mayo. 3 frees rounded off the scoring for them.

After the Mayo goal Dublin actually dominated the play but a combination of poor final ball and it must be said fierce Mayo tackling kept them at bay. They kept coming though and the introduction of the subs only increased the pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I thought the booing of Diarmuid Connolly was pretty deplorable to put it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

seligehgit wrote: »
    I thought the booing of Diarmuid Connolly was pretty deplorable to put it mildly.

I wasn't at the match but on TV, it came across as a very significant amount of fans doing it. So disappointed to hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I wasn't at the match but on TV, it came across as a very significant amount of fans doing it. So disappointed to hear it.
    Look, thats the game for you. DC punched a mayo player on the ground the previous week, the GAA put him back in the spotlight (not the players fault for that) and he was going to take some abuse.
    Cillian O Connor took a fair amount of booing the previous week - very little was said about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Agree. You expect booing from the Hill crowd but I was disappointed to see Mayo fans stoop to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭P_Cash

Lol, it's just a bit of steam coming off at the whole farce.

I wouldn't look to much in in to it, didn't bother Dublin at all.

On the game,

Over the two games mgt showed little expertise on strategy, plan B seemed to be try plan A again. 2 games with AOS in an ineffective position was a sure sign of it. The Lad just didnt know what to do,

The turning point was not forcing the game after the mayo goal, keegan depressed everyone with that attempt and In the minutes to follow the ball was turned over 2/3 times, one i remember parsons was involved.

Subs? WTF. What we had in midfield just disappeared.

And i agree with a post on a thread here, condition wise, while a few lads are too light AOS is too heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

1) Must agree with this. Felt the players showed a lot of class today. Even at the end, seeing O'Sé swap jerseys with Connolly was nice. They showed a lot more class than the fans who were booing today.

I thought this was a terrific thing to do. O'Se acted with a great deal of class, you should be proud of him. It reminded me of Tomas O'Se of Kerry handing the match ball to Cluxton after that AI Final 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

liam7831 wrote: »

The Dublin player pushed him cynically in hope of getting a reaction....which he got....silly schoolboy error from S O' Shea....easy maybe for me to say that but if he had stayed on field and not reacted he could have let his football do the talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

"This Mayo team are good enough to win an all Ireland"

Been reading this for 4 summers. If they were good enough they'd have won 1.

Not good enough always meet teams just that little bit better than them.

Couple of years out of the spotlight would be the best thing for this team.

Does anybody know they took off Moran ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The 2013 final really does seem now like the one that got away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hard to be out of the spotlight of you are one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the country. That won't change next year or the one after.

I'd put it down to last year and Cormac Reilly. Multiple chances in the semi finals and a weaker Donegal in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

kippy wrote: »
    Hard to be out of the spotlight of you are one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the country. That won't change next year or the one after.

Maybe yes, even if we are possibly now on the downward part of a development cycle. I say this even with Diarmuid O'Connor etc getting their chances this year. Kerry & Dublin are in the other side of the draw next year, so looking at the opposition in Connacht and Ulster its quite possible we'll get back into an SF again, barring what opposition the qualifiers might throw up.

Looking at it overall, Kerry and Dublin seem to have increased the gap v the rest in terms of squad quality, especially the impact of subs coming off the bench. Dublin showed this yet again yesterday. We got wiped out really in the last 15 minutes. Unless Mayo can get to this level of overall squad quality an AI won't be won imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

kippy wrote: »

I'm hoping for an implosion and a shít hot galway team next summer. Neither will happen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I don't know what to say except throw out a few points.

-We were doing okay yesterday before our five minute collapse but had to work too hard for our scores, in contrast to Dublin who made it look straightforward.

-We've too many runners around the middle and no corner forwards. The likes of McLoughlin, Doherty and DOC pick the ball up and their only option is to solo forward, thankless job for them. We didn't use the corners enough. Andy helped when he came on but he could only do so much. Aidan suffered with lack of support once again.

-Wrong subsitutions and lack of subs made at vital times. Why start Vaughan when we all knew he was injured? Barry Moran shouldn't have been taken off. It makes it even more baffling with the fact that Seamus O'Shea was gone at that stage too. Surely we needed more in the middle. Sending on Ronaldason with two minutes to go and six down? That ought to do it! Jesus, where's the imagination, why not use the sub earlier when it could actually change things in our favour? If it doesn't work then grand but it's better than not playing your cards at all.

I don't want to get into criticising players, couldn't fault them lads, really feel sorry for them. Positives were Durcan who was good once again, also very impressed with Diarmuid O' Connor, going to be some player in a few years. You have to give credit to Andy Moran, thought he was great when he came on and has been some servant to Mayo Gaa.

Another disappointing year for a talented group of players, hopefully not the end of an era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

2004 and 2006 aside, they all got away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I agree.
    This team has had chances to win All Ireland.
    Call it bad luck or a curse if you want, but I would be more inclined to agree with Joe Brolly.
    We have continued to ship goals at crucial times.
    We are soft at the back.
    Our supposed sweeper system was a joke and ha not been worked on long enough to get it working.

It is no use working your ar** off to build up a lead or stay in a game to fall asleep at the back.
    Even though we have some fantastic backs that are great going forward sometimes they just need to do the dirty hard slog work at the back.
    Until our backline is made secure this team will never win an All Ireland.

Up front we are carrying a couple of passengers and have being doing so for a few years.
    It doesn't matter how hard a player works if they can't score and just turn over possession to the opposition.

As with other year I think a lot of our problems has been down to management.
    At this stage we have written in stone Einstein's theory about continually making the same mistakes and expecting a different outcome.
    I thought the new partnership would have learned something from the last guy making the same mistakes and getting turned over, but they didn't.

The one thing that I can't fail any of the players on is commitment and dedication.
    After all the knocks they have experienced to date they keep coming back for more.
    And no matter what anyone levels at them they can't be faulted for effort.
    They don't know when to lie down.
    They deserve better from management, because we have some fantastic footballers who give up their lives for a dream of lifting Sam.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

McLoughlin did ok in spurts but Doherty offered nothing at all over the two games. Surely Alan Freeman would be a better option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Does anybody know they took off Moran ?

No idea. We were bossing the game up to then and looked comfortable. Off he comes and Dublin start bossing the middle. I think he was taken off just before the botched Hennelly kickout. We lost our main outlet at midfield. Fair enough if he was injured though he wasn't limping and hadn't been treated. And why not bring back AOS to midfield to give a presence. In a catalog of poor substitutions in the last 5 years that was one of the worst. Clueless management once again. Its the curse of poor management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭P_Cash

AOS should have been brought back to mid field half way through the first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Hard luck lads, there's really nothing between the 2 sides as 2013, last week and most of the game yesterday showed. I'd say you need another forward, which you probably do, to win an AI but its criminal that this side hasn't won one already.

• Advertisement

P_Cash wrote: »
    AOS should have been brought back to mid field half way through the first game.

I just re-watched the game again. Real amateurism from the management. Brolly had predicted at half time what was likely going to happen. The changes, lack of instructions, no tactics have cost the game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement