Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Tough road for you guys now. Looking like it'll be Cork or Monaghan in the next round, with possibly Tyrone/Donegal in the 4th round. Granted if ye get by those (favourite in every game at least) you'll have serious momentum come the AIQF

It could also be Kildare or Offaly in the next round and Westmeath or Dublin in the 4th.

Easiest route to final - Offaly, Westmeath, Donegal, Galway*

Toughest - Monaghan, Tyrone, Dublin, Kerry.

*Really soft A side qualifier like Laois or Sligo could be in SF spot, far fetched but possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Kildare or Offaly wouldn't be too bad, Monaghan away would be tricky ditto Cork,they're such a Jekyll and Hyde team.Losers of the Ulster final will be another step up.Dublin will put Westmeath to the sword, preferable draw to the Ulster boys.One way or another if we navigate our way past a tough Fermanagh managed by the wily Pete McGrath and others we'll certainly be battle hardened by the time we hit the quarter finals.Saturday night will tell a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

It could also be Kildare or Offaly in the next round and Westmeath or Dublin in the 4th.

Easiest route to final - Offaly, Westmeath, Donegal, Galway*

Toughest - Monaghan, Tyrone, Dublin, Kerry.

*Really soft A side qualifier like Laois or Sligo could be in SF spot, far fetched but possible.

It'll be a 50/50 shot ye'll get Westmeath in the 4th round so maybe some respite there. The flip side there though is you'll very likely be playing Dublin in the QF in that case, as you'd have to assume the Ulster loser comes through from the other B qualifier.

I really think the losing provincial finalist should join in the 3rd round, before they cut the qualifiers in half by matching them off in round 4 (currently happens round 3). Different debate however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:
    Kildare or Offaly wouldn't be too bad, Monaghan away would be tricky ditto Cork,they're such a Jekyll and Hyde team.Losers of the Ulster final will be another step up.Dublin will put Westmeath to the sword, preferable draw to the Ulster boys.One way or another if we navigate our way past a tough Fermanagh managed by the wily Pete McGrath and others we'll certainly be battle hardened by the time we hit the quarter finals.Saturday night will tell a lot.

Kildare Mayo might be a decent game

Final score Mayo 3-20 Galway 0-16 in the Connacht final,well done to the ladies.

km79 wrote: »
    Hoping its not 7pm
    I want time the other end to hopefully enjoy a few pints at home in mayo !

I'm the opposite, I want it at 7pm cos I've a load to things to get done here in Kerry on Saturday morning and I've something to do then in the early hours of Sunday, so head off around 1pm, get to the game, and then straight home to be back for around midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

seligehgit wrote: »
    Final score Mayo 3-20 Galway 0-16 in the Connacht final,well done to the ladies.

2-14 from Coral Staunton, phenomenal.

padd b1975 wrote: »

Heaven forbid she ever gets injured!Where will they resurrect the scores from when she does eventually retire?.:eek:

Martha Carter played most of the game with a broken hand!

padd b1975 wrote: »

I really do hope someone is keeping score.

Because when she hangs up her boots I'd love to see the total that she has scored for Mayo.

Its going to be massive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Still no time announced. Disgraceful. What is it with the ineptitude of the GAA?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Still no time announced. Disgraceful. What is it with the ineptitude of the GAA?

Waiting for Sky to decide.....all about the money ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

yop wrote: »
    Waiting for Sky to decide.....all about the money ;)
    Clare v Limerick the live game this Saturday apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

GAA.Eir.ie "win lose or draw" has match time as 3pm

http://gaa.eir.ie/wld

Oldtree wrote: »
    GAA.Eir.ie "win lose or draw" has match time as 3pm

http://gaa.eir.ie/wld

Probably a placeholder, nothing on GAA.ie yet.
    Nothing from the Mayo twitter feed either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Jaysus will they just announce it! I have to dig up a garden Saturday and I want to plan the day. Do they not think of the people at all!

Probably a placeholder, nothing on GAA.ie yet.
    Nothing from the Mayo twitter feed either.

probably, :D but had to post it, time will tell

Interesting to note that Gaa Tickets has the time at 23.59 :D probably a place holder too

https://gaa.tickets.ie/

Gaa Email says
    Unreserved seating will be in operation.

yeaaaa I get to sit where I like bestest.......

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

From Twitter: "Sky Sports will show both hurling qualifiers live next Saturday. Times yet to be confirmed. #GAA"

So they were waiting to see who was going to be in the hurling to arrange it. So Sky will dictate that one is at 5pm and the other at 7pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

yop wrote: »
    From Twitter: "Sky Sports will show both hurling qualifiers live next Saturday. Times yet to be confirmed. #GAA"

So they were waiting to see who was going to be in the hurling to arrange it. So Sky will dictate that one is at 5pm and the other at 7pm.

Don't see why this should have held up an announcement on the Mayo game if Sky never had any intention of showing it.

• Advertisement

Don't see why this should have held up an announcement on the Mayo game if Sky never had any intention of showing it.

Maybe they only intended to show one and wanted to pick the most attractive, but now for some reason they are going to show 2.

God knows at this stage, the joy of Sky dictating it now it seems. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Is it just me or has the spelling of McHale Park changed to MacHale Park. To me its named after McHale Road and will always be McHale park but lately on RTE, GAA and other media outlets i see it as MacHale Park with an "a" added. Not exactly first world problems but what do you think?

Pretty messed up by the GAA also that they will not decide on a time for the game, particularly so close to the date. They seem to be cherry picking the games that suit Sky other media outlets and letting the ordinary decent travelling supporter wait. There is so much to hate about them at times :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

Looking like it will be 3.30, shown on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Terrible time on a Saturday.

Thanks Mayo Club 51,source??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

irishgeo wrote: »
    Terrible time on a Saturday.

Suits me lovely !

• Advertisement

Thanks Mayo Club 51,source??

Process of elimination:D Sky showing 2 hurling match's at 5 and 7. Saturday game starts at 3.10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭cjmc11

Feck it anyways, was hopin for a late throw in. I'd say it could affect attendance being on at that time on a Saturday.

[QUOTE=Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

Ascii wrote: »
    Saturday game is showing Wexford against Offaly with throw in at 3:30pm according to RTE website....so a late kick off might still be an option.

That game has already taken place so it won't be that one, highly likely to be our game. Should know shortly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Are the GAA taking the pi** or what?
    Just announce the bloody time!!
    Some people have arrangements to make if they are due to work.

Edit - just saw 3.30 confirmed.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

Confirmed now on Mayo GAA twitter account, 3:30 on saturday

Eir not far off with their 3pm then :D How did they know I wonder?

Will it be on the RTE telly box seeing as its scheduled for 3.30 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Will it be on the RTE telly box seeing as its scheduled for 3.30 ?

Ya on rte.

Is it live on RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Is it live on RTE?

Yes live on rte1 from 3 10 on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

It's a tough road we have to navigate but if we can beat Fermanagh then watch the dark clouds start to lift a little. Winning breeds confidence and the opportunity is there for us. I'm really looking forward to Saturday now. It will very interesting to see how we line up and what the player's have left to give this season. It's knock out all the way now with absolutely no where to hide.

It's a tough road we have to navigate but if we can beat Fermanagh then watch the dark clouds start to lift a little. Winning breeds confidence and the opportunity is there for us. I'm really looking forward to Saturday now. It will very interesting to see how we line up and what the player's have left to give this season. It's knock out all the way now with absolutely no where to hide.

Yep can't wait for it.

It will go one of three ways.

1. Convincing big win, in control from start to finish, that will lift those dark clouds you are talking about, and should give them confidence coming into what could be a tougher game v Monaghan or Cork (depending on which Cork turn up).

2. Unconvincing win leaving us scratching our heads for at least another week.

3. Loss and that's that.

I obviously hope its 1, they really need to show us what they are made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Mayo News has on Twitter bout news of another big injury blow for Mayo...anyone heard anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Oh hurraaaay....more injuries...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Mayo News has on Twitter bout news of another big injury blow for Mayo...anyone heard anything?

Tom Parsons is who i heard, one positive is its not meant to be season ending .

KMFCross wrote: »
    Tom Parsons is who i heard, one positive is its not meant to be season ending .

Put two O Shea's in the middle, another at half forward and put Conor Loftus in the corner.
    Or put Coen in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Put two O Shea's in the middle, another at half forward.

And stick the ould fella at full back :):)

I think it's a case of AOS back at midfield and put Loftus or Freezer into the forward berth. AOS's ball winning skills at midfield have been lost in recent games. To me it's where he has been most effective.
    Parsons has been immense over the last 18 months. To me positions 5-9 were the basis of such good football down through the last few years. Last year was the first year we really tinkered with the formula and I don't think we got the return out of it aside from the Donegal game. Like Fr Tod, I think it's back to basics and get a solid win back under the belt in anticipation of bigger challenges to come in Cork or Monaghan. I really think Donegal or Tyrone are coming strong and I think this could be one of the tougher championships for a few years.

Of all years I think the Div 1 league finishing positions has been a very fair reflection of where we are at the moment. Down were where they belong (rooted to the bottom) and ourselves and cork both suffering humiliating championship exits. Donegal, Kerry and Dublin flying high. The Rosie's will have notions about themselves and then throw in Tyrone and Monaghan. If you were a neutral it has the makings for good viewing.

Ascii wrote: »
    I think it's a case of AOS back at midfield and put Loftus or Freezer into the forward berth. AOS's ball winning skills at midfield have been lost in recent games. To me it's where he has been most effective.
    Parsons has been immense over the last 18 months. To me positions 5-9 were the basis of such good football down through the last few years. Last year was the first year we really tinkered with the formula and I don't think we got the return out of it aside from the Donegal game. Like Fr Tod, I think it's back to basics and get a solid win back under the belt in anticipation of bigger challenges to come in Cork or Monaghan. I really think Donegal or Tyrone are coming strong and I think this could be one of the tougher championships for a few years.

Of all years I think the Div 1 league finishing positions has been a very fair reflection of where we are at the moment. Down were where they belong (rooted to the bottom) and ourselves and cork both suffering humiliating championship exits. Donegal, Kerry and Dublin flying high. The Rosie's will have notions about themselves and then throw in Tyrone and Monaghan. If you were a neutral it has the makings for good viewing.

I'm not convinced that Donegal, Kerry or Tyrone are much better than a "properly functioning" Mayo

And what I mean by "properly functioning" is the Mayo we have seen since 2011.

Time will tell if the team is up to that standard again, the league would suggest its not, but if it is there is no reason why we should fear any of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Parsons is definitely out with a pulled hamstring, so that is a blow.

I don't like the idea of the two O'Shea's in the middle. I'd leave Aido at 11 and put Diarmuid in midfield with Seamus. Then you'd have the option of Barry Moran coming in for twenty minutes, which could be key if things are in the balance. It would also free up another half forward position. Matthew Ruane would be the man to call into the panel now too, with Gibbons and Parsons sidelined.

I would like to see Freeman start, when's he is on form he can be a handful and it's about time we had a threat around the full-forward line. Would be interesting to have Freezer, Regan and COC hold position in there to see what damage they can do, have Aido rotate with someone here and there too to mix it up. McLoughlin and Doherty would then be expected to track back as you'd expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I'm not convinced that Donegal, Kerry or Tyrone are much better than a "properly functioning" Mayo

And what I mean by "properly functioning" is the Mayo we have seen since 2011.

Time will tell if the team is up to that standard again, the league would suggest its not, but if it is there is no reason why we should fear any of the above.

I agree that if they come back with the right drive and attitude there should be no fear of any of these teams. They should actually relish the chance and stand up for the challenge.

They just need to get through these qualifiers and aim for the 1/4... keep the head down, stay out of the media and play with the right attitude that you will fight for every ball and no blame game.

Qualifiers weed out teams with no real drive and attitude...

Its a totally different ball game once you hit CP and anything can happen after that. It should bring out the best of any team once you get to CP and that should be the short term aim for the team with the first hurdle on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Parsons is definitely out with a pulled hamstring, so that is a blow.

I don't like the idea of the two O'Shea's in the middle. I'd leave Aido at 11 and put Diarmuid in midfield with Seamus. Then you'd have the option of Barry Moran coming in for twenty minutes, which could be key if things are in the balance. It would also free up another half forward position. Matthew Ruane would be the man to call into the panel now too, with Gibbons and Parsons sidelined.

I would like to see Freeman start, when's he is on form he can be a handful and it's about time we had a threat around the full-forward line. Would be interesting to have Freezer, Regan and COC hold position in there to see what damage they can do, have Aido rotate with someone here and there too to mix it up. McLoughlin and Doherty would then be expected to track back as you'd expect.

Why so many hamstring injuries in Mayo squad and in football generally ? Something must be wrong in the training and conditioning. My local club had 7 players with hamstring or groin injuries last year. One possible reason is the obsession with strength training to the detriment of endurance training. 2 mayo players went down with cramp after just 50 mins in the Galway game. Regardless of the physicality ,real or so called, of football the players must be able to run for 70 plus minutes. It is primarily an endurance sport and training should reflect that. To my eye COC has lost a yard of pace as he has gained a stone of muscle. Also Ger Caff season is over with a hamstring injury even if Mayo get to AI ? How badly can you tear a hamstring in training ? If you he through it with a chainsaw it would be healed before then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Why so many hamstring injuries in Mayo squad and in football generally ? Something must be wrong in the training and conditioning. My local club had 7 players with hamstring or groin injuries last year. One possible reason is the obsession with strength training to the detriment of endurance training. 2 mayo players went down with cramp after just 50 mins in the Galway game. Regardless of the physicality ,real or so called, of football the players must be able to run for 70 plus minutes. It is primarily an endurance sport and training should reflect that. To my eye COC has lost a yard of pace as he has gained a stone of muscle. Also Ger Caff season is over with a hamstring injury even if Mayo get to AI ? How badly can you tear a hamstring in training ? If you he through it with a chainsaw it would be healed before then.

Coc badly needs game time
    That's why the qualifiers may be a good thing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement