Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anybody want to hazard a guess at the actual starting 15?
    1. David Clarke
    2. Brendan Harrison
    3. Kevin Keane
    4. Keith Higgins
    5. Lee Keegan
    6. Colm Boyle
    7. Patrick Durkan
    8. Seamus O Shea as Tom Parsons is out and Barry Moran is hardly match fit?
    9. Aidan O Shea
    10. Kevin McLoughlin
    11. Jason Doherty
    12. Diarmuid O Connor if fit
    13. Evan Regan
    14. Alan Freeman
    15. Cillian O Connor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

seligehgit wrote: »
    1. David Clarke
    2. Brendan Harrison
    3. Kevin Keane
    4. Keith Higgins
    5. Lee Keegan
    6. Colm Boyle
    7. Patrick Durkan
    9. Aidan O Shea
    10. Kevin McLoughlin
    11. Jason Doherty
    13. Evan Regan
    14. Alan Freeman
    15. Cillian O Connor

That looks like a solid team to win a solid championship game. Mayo need to concentrate on each game as it comes now rather than thinking about a system to beat Dublin. No point having the perfect game plan for Dublin if they don't get to play them.

I'd love to see young Conor Loftus get some game time at some stage and ditto Stephen Coen(not in the forwards) possibly as an auxiliary midfielder.Hopefully Conor O Shea will get an opportunity off the bench to fulfill his undoubted potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'd love to see young Conor Loftus get some game time at some stage and ditto Stephen Coen(not in the forwards) possibly as an auxiliary midfielder.Hopefully Conor O Shea will get an opportunity off the bench to fulfill his undoubted potential.

How are DOC and SOS in their recoveries from injury ?

Could you risk Coen in the middle with AOS, COS in the half forwards and Loftus in the corner, giving the likes of DOC and SOS extra time to recover for a potential tougher game a week later ?

People are crying out for the u 21s to get a run, there are two of them right there.

How are DOC and SOS in their recoveries from injury ?

Could you risk Coen in the middle with AOS, COS in the half forwards and Loftus in the corner, giving the likes of DOC and SOS extra time to recover for a potential tougher game a week later ?

People are crying out for the u 21s to get a run, there are two of them right there.

No idea of how the two lads are progressing in their recoveries.It is remarkably quiet up here Fr Tod in terms of a match build up,maybe it's banality of the qualifiers and the long road that is the back door.I'm not expecting a big crowd tbh with the scheduled time...Saturday after all is a work/shopping day for many people.Can't see many coming down from Fermanagh.Of course it's pretty easy to chill at home and watch it in the box.

I suppose it's a matter of the faith the management have in Stephen Coen as to whither they start him i lar na pairce,as I said I have'nt heard anything re Seamie's injury.He has been really off colour for well over a year.I'd still be an advocate of starting Aidan at midfield.

The same article of faith is required re the starting of two Conors....give youth a chance.You're a genius if you win but it looks foolhardy in the event you have given the lads extra recovery time for a game that never happens...

I'd be inclined to start our strongest available 15 if they're one hundred percent fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Id have reservations about Conor O'Shea but I think Stephen Coen has loads of potential.

PressRun wrote: »
    Id have reservations about Conor O'Shea but I think Stephen Coen has loads of potential.

TBF I've seen Conor O Shea in club action,playing for the under 21s,NUIG and FBD,League and Championship.I first caught eye of his potential in the hockeying the Roscommon under 21s gave us in McHale Park but a few years ago.He's had his ups and downs over the intervening years,many injuries.He really does need to start delivering on his early promise.He was alone in his ability to take a score from distance albeit in a long since lost league opener this year that none of us care to remember!

BTW I'm not from Breaffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,219 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I'd be inclined to start our strongest available 15 if they're one hundred percent fit.

This is now knockout, no second chances, championship football.
    Regardless of who you are playing there should be no question of not starting the strongest 15.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

charlie14 wrote: »
    This is now knockout, no second chances, championship football.
    Regardless of who you are playing there should be no question of not starting the strongest 15.

Agreed, and IF we are winning at mid point second half then you begin to empty the bench. Every place is up for grabs, aside from Boyler not one player can come away from the Galway game with any confidence, so its all open now.

Time to Sh9t or get off the pot! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

1. David Clarke
    2. Brendan Harrison
    3. Kevin Keane
    4. Keith Higgins
    5. Lee Keegan
    6. Colm Boyle
    7. Patrick Durkan
    9. Aidan O Shea
    10. Kevin McLoughlin
    11. Jason Doherty
    13. Evan Regan
    14. Alan Freeman
    15. Cillian O Connor

For me 1-15 are as above and I believe our strongest back unit that we have available. I think Clarke is entitled to a run, at times I don't find Hennelly vocal enough and I get the impression he doesn't have the presence to align his back six....(ala Cluxton) Is Coen an option at midfield if they want to keep Aidan at number 11 ? I think its something we need to do at this stage is try and get Coen a regular number 9. SOS is 30 or 31 and has not found the form of lately. Parsons is no spring chuck either despite playing excellent stuff for the last 24 months. Gibbons has failed to flatter in that position in the last few outings also.
    Did DOC play for tubber in the club championship two weeks ago against Charlestown ?
    I would rather see Freezer instead of COS also. Think he has more to offer, particularly in terms of a cool head and some experience. This COS can be rash with his shot taking at times, granted that is something that will get better with age and regular football.
    The other person I see on that sheet that has not won me over lately is Doherty. For too many games lately he has gone missing and found wanting. I think Loftus deserves a shot at the HF line, a chance to introduce himself to the big stage. He is also a great option for free taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭cjmc11

I presume there will be no problem buying tickets on the gate on Saturday, will there? Not sure if I'll be able to make it to the game now that its a 3.30 start, had counted on it being an evening throw in, so I don't want to go buying the tickets online in case I don't make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

cjmc11 wrote: »
    I presume there will be no problem buying tickets on the gate on Saturday, will there? Not sure if I'll be able to make it to the game now that its a 3.30 start, had counted on it being an evening throw in, so I don't want to go buying the tickets online in case I don't make it.

Tickets won't be a problem,seldom are outside of all-Ireland final day in fairness.

My dad and little boy are coming also. What is the situation with seating in the stand after the game three weeks ago when there was a seating fiasco with reserved/unreserved etc. Tickets online seem to be just general admission tickets only. It's it first come first serve basis for the stand after this. I don't mind getting wet or cold, but with some showers promised, however with my passengers it's a different story and I could do with a little shade for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Kalyke wrote: »

Nice one Kalyke I've been looking for something along those lines for quite a while.. Handy to print off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

how can tipp be in 4a if they are not in 2a? also does that mean if we win the next two games that we will face the provincial losers from munster??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Squatman wrote: »
    how can tipp be in 4a if they are not in 2a? also does that mean if we win the next two games that we will face the provincial losers from munster??

They are in 4a as provincial runners up. If we win this weekend and next weekend we can face the losing finalists of Ulster or Leinster. Win that and we face the winners of Ulster or Leinster.

Kalyke wrote: »

Good chart but a little bit confusing.

Someone looking at it may get the impression that the winners of Cavan v Carlow will play Sligo in 3A, or that the winners of Monaghan/Longford will play the winners of Cork/Limerick in 3B, neither of which are the necessarily the case, round 3A and 3B is an open draw for the winners of 2A and 2B respectively.

Also since Kerry are playing a winner of 4A in the QF they should be up at the top of the sheet, in the A section, not down at the bottom in the B section.

AIB could try a bit harder with this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Someone looking at it may get the impression that the winners of Cavan v Carlow will play Sligo in 3A, or that the winners of Monaghan/Longford will play the winners of Cork/Limerick in 3B, neither of which are the necessarily the case, round 3A and 3B is an open draw for the winners of 2A and 2B respectively.

Also since Kerry are playing a winner of 4A in the QF they should be up at the top of the sheet, in the A section, not down at the bottom in the B section.

Glad I'm not the only one that got confused looking at that chart! Doesn't seem right?

Anyone else notice how the media narrative around the championship has changed.

Prior to the loss v Galway a sentence like the following was likely to be said or written.

"Team A need to do x,y and z if they expect to compete with the likes of Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Donegal"

Since the loss to Galway, that sentence is likely to be
    "Team A needs to do x,y, and z if they expect to compete with the likes of Dublin, Kerry, Donegal, Tyrone "

Asked straight up I think most pundits would say that they'd expect Mayo to still be in at least a QF, but they have dropped off the list of top teams it seems.

And its no surprise given the questions around their state of mind, the poor league and the poor performance v Galway.

I wonder will if change if they perform on Saturday ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Ascii wrote: »
    My dad and little boy are coming also. What is the situation with seating in the stand after the game three weeks ago when there was a seating fiasco with reserved/unreserved etc. Tickets online seem to be just general admission tickets only. It's it first come first serve basis for the stand after this. I don't mind getting wet or cold, but with some showers promised, however with my passengers it's a different story and I could do with a little shade for them

I'd imagine there will be some stand tickets available on the day but wouldn't be sure.There was talk of fencing off a section of the stand where people could leave their elderly uncles,ladies who just got their hair done,people who weren't fully out of a dose of the flu and aul lads who have to leave early to go to a funeral :-).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone else notice how the media narrative around the championship has changed.

Prior to the loss v Galway a sentence like the following was likely to be said or written.

"Team A need to do x,y and z if they expect to compete with the likes of Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Donegal"

Since the loss to Galway, that sentence is likely to be
    "Team A needs to do x,y, and z if they expect to compete with the likes of Dublin, Kerry, Donegal, Tyrone "

Asked straight up I think most pundits would say that they'd expect Mayo to still be in at least a QF, but they have dropped off the list of top teams it seems.

And its no surprise given the questions around their state of mind, the poor league and the poor performance v Galway.

I wonder will if change if they perform on Saturday ?

I'd set more store by the bookies: they've moved Mayo out to fourth favourites but I'd say that has as much to do with Tyrone's exploits as the Galway 'shock'.

So do we think Mayo will have their game heads on for the back door this time? We've lost to a bit of a motley crue in the playoffs over the years like, well, Fermanagh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

I've modified it to read a bit better.

GAA Qualifier.jpg

391045.jpg

The as usual excellent Mayo News podcast,I'm inclined to have a change of mind.With all this talk of a changing of the guard and the need to freshen things up.Perhaps it is opportune to start Stephen Coen instead of Seamus O Shea.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/listen/football-podcast/28126-audio-football-podcast-7-mayo

KMFCross wrote: »
    I've modified it to read a bit better.

GAA Qualifier.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=391045&d=1467887284

Yea but a little inaccuracy in the Notes at the bottom.

Teams that meet previously in the provincial can meet again in the QF, but the teams that played in the provincial final cannot meet in the QF.

So if Tipp and Clare win their Round 4A games Clare will play Kerry because Tipp cannot, even though Clare and Kerry have already played.

They tried to avoid rematches where possible but the only hard and fast rule is the one where provincial finalists can't meet in a QF.

Yea but a little inaccuracy in the Notes at the bottom.

Teams that meet previously in the provincial can meet again in the QF, but the teams that played in the provincial final cannot meet in the QF.

So if Tipp and Clare win their Round 4A games Clare will play Kerry because Tipp cannot, even though Clare and Kerry have already played.

They tried to avoid rematches where possible but the only hard and fast rule is the one where provincial finalists can't meet in a QF.

Thanks Tod, I'll update and repost.

The as usual excellent Mayo News podcast,I'm inclined to have a change of mind.With all this talk of a changing of the guard and the need to freshen things up.Perhaps it is opportune to start Stephen Coen instead of Seamus O Shea.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/listen/football-podcast/28126-audio-football-podcast-7-mayo

Yea they talk about Coens mobility as an asset, makes a lot of sense.

Thanks Tod, I'll update and repost.

GAA Qualifier.jpg

391046.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

hyy thanks for the above chart.

q: is the Round 4B open draw, can a 3B winner end up playing either ulster or leinster provincial losers. same quetsion for quarter final

thnks

• Advertisement

hyy thanks for the above chart.

q: is the Round 4B open draw, can a 3B winner end up playing either ulster or leinster provincial losers. same quetsion for quarter final

thnks

Yes, as long as the Provincial Final Loser is not matched against the team they lost too in the Provincial Final.

E.G. I believe Monaghan can play Donegal/Tyrone in 4B

so for mayo the easiest* route is probably

:fermanagh / kildare or offaly / westmeath / ....then prob ulster winners

if still there after all that , are the semis pairings pre-determined or is it the dubs assumimng they keep winning?

* i know, blah , blah, blah

so for mayo the easiest* route is probably

:fermanagh / kildare or offaly / westmeath / ....then prob ulster winners

if still there after all that , are the semis pairings pre-determined or is it the dubs assumimng they keep winning?

* i know, blah , blah, blah

:)

Assuming we get that far based on the fixtures you listed Mayo would enter the Semi Finals as the Ulster Representative (having beaten them in the Qtr's) The Semis this year is:

Ulster* V Connacht*
    Leinster* V Munster*

* Or the team that beats them in the Qtrs

So if Galway win Connacht and advance to the Semis we could meet them again at this point.

Of course the toughest route to the final is

Cork/ Monaghan in Round 3B
    Donegal/Tyrone in Round 4B
    Dublin in Quarters
    Kerry in Semi Final

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,219 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Considering all the speculation prior to the Galway game and what that resulted in, on the back door route especially, imo the less speculation on anything other the game in hand, let alone QFs and Semi`s, the better for everyone.
    Not least the players.
    Loose lips......and all that.

Dublin in Quarters
    Kerry in Semi Final

:-)[/QUOTE]

now that would be tough !!!!

i think i 'll go with my way ! :->

:)

Assuming we get that far based on the fixtures you listed Mayo would enter the Semi Finals as the Ulster Representative (having beaten them in the Qtr's) The Semis this year is:

Ulster* V Connacht*
    Leinster* V Munster*

* Or the team that beats them in the Qtrs

So if Galway win Connacht and advance to the Semis we could meet them again at this point.

Dublin in Quarters
    Kerry in Semi Final

:-)

Dublin in Quarters
    Kerry in Semi Final

That would be a ridiculously hard route just to get to a final if such permutations are possible.I really can't see past Saturday ATM if the truth be told.

• Advertisement

Dublin in Quarters
    Kerry in Semi Final

That would be a ridiculously hard route just to get to a final if such permutations are possible.I really can't see past Saturday ATM if the truth be told.

Oh its certainly possible, more then a 50% chance to get Dublin in the Quarters because the Ulster team is in the B side and could not play the ulster winners again in the Quarters if they win there 4B game.

And because Leinster V Munster is the Semis if Mayo got that far they would represent Leinster in the Semis.

However i agree with Charlie and yourself, we need to see where the team is at this Saturday before contemplating what/who comes next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I honestly haven't paid much attention to the charts nor do I care. Fermanagh are a serious test for us and Saturday will tell us everything we need to know.

If we get past them, then let the other teams worry about us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I honestly haven't paid much attention to the charts nor do I care. Fermanagh are a serious test for us and Saturday will tell us everything we need to know.

If we get past them, then let the other teams worry about us.

The game itself will tell Mayo nothing. Mayo should beat Fermanagh, especially at home, but then again you should've beat Galway too.!!
    What you need to watch for here is the team Rochford picks.
    If he fails to wield the axe for this game, it shows an obvious sign of weakness, and who exactly is 'running the show'
    Imaging if Fitzmaurice's Kerry had performed like Mayo did last time out.??
    Guaranteed they would be 3-5 changes in personnel, with the 'media darlings' the very first to be benched.

washman3 wrote: »
    The game itself will tell Mayo nothing. Mayo should beat Fermanagh, especially at home, but then again you should've beat Galway too.!!
    If he fails to wield the axe for this game, it shows an obvious sign of weakness, and who exactly is 'running the show'
    Guaranteed they would be 3-5 changes in personnel, with the 'media darlings' the very first to be benched.

It will be the performance that will be important, not the team selection.

Oh and by the way Fitzmaurice is getting plenty of flak in Kerry about being too loyal to the likes of Aiden O Mahoney and not giving youth a chance, so try using a better comparison next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

It will be the performance that will be important, not the team selection.

Oh and by the way Fitzmaurice is getting plenty of flak in Kerry about being too loyal to the likes of Aiden O Mahoney and not giving youth a chance, so try using a better comparison next time.

Mahoney was Kerry's best player in last years final up until his black card. The legs had gone at that stage mainly from covering for players 10+ years older than him.
    Only mistake Fizt made was not replacing him before he hauled McManamin down, but McM can be unstoppable when he gets a run on any defender, young or old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I disagree. People have been openly questioning the player's attitude after the Galway game. Their response on Saturday will be telling. Fermanagh are no mugs either, they'll be bullish enough coming to Castlebar, it's probably the best time to play us coming off the Galway game.

I also wouldn't be making sweeping changes either. Mayo haven't become a bad team in little under a year and with Parsons and Cafferkey out, options are more limited. As for Kerry, it's like the film 'Cool Runnings', comparing ourselves to the Swiss. Let Kerry do what they want, comparing ourselves to them has never done us any favours.

The bottom line is, Mayo have had three weeks of rest and three weeks to sort their heads out. Rochford has had time to come up with a proper plan for the qualifiers. There are no excuses now and it's backs against the wall stuff from here on out but I certainly expect to see a positive reaction come Saturday and if that doesn't happen then that's that for this year and we will have a long six months to discuss changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I would agree with you and I think the performance and team selection are interlinked. Guys need to be dropped if they are not performing. This is the only way to improve the performance. The last thing you want is guys playing bad and still keeping their spot.

Doherty has to go, DOC in, Clarke in, AOS to midfield with Parson out and Freeman in FF. I would consider AOS for the bench only for Parson's injury. This might sound mad to alot but he is not playing well for a good while.

Loftus/Andy in if I see a sniff of any forward not up to it.

Thats my take on it anyway

I would agree with you and I think the performance and team selection are interlinked. Guys need to be dropped if they are not performing. This is the only way to improve the performance. The last thing you want is guys playing bad and still keeping their spot.

Doherty has to go, DOC in, Clarke in, AOS to midfield with Parson out and Freeman in FF. I would consider AOS for the bench only for Parson's injury. This might sound mad to alot but he is not playing well for a good while.

With you on that one entirely Slaven. I feel our six forwards have been underperforming in their current format since the drawn game in Dublin last year. Even in the league, they never looked like a cohesive unit that could get scores. I felt a lot of the discipline that was there between 2011-14 where wides were minimal and scores were picked off carefully seem to have lapsed. Would love to see Freezer and Loftus get a look in

On a side note was chatting to Connacht council in bekan. He tells me ticket sales are slow for the game. They swear there will be no repeat of the seating fiasco that was there at the last game. It's 20 sheets for adults across the board and first come first serve as regards seats in the stand and in the terraces. No reserved seating anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Ascii wrote: »
    With you on that one entirely Slaven. I feel our six forwards have been underperforming in their current format since the drawn game in Dublin last year. Even in the league, they never looked like a cohesive unit that could get scores. I felt a lot of the discipline that was there between 2011-14 where wides were minimal and scores were picked off carefully seem to have lapsed. Would love to see Freezer and Loftus get a look in

On a side note was chatting to Connacht council in bekan. He tells me ticket sales are slow for the game. They swear there will be no repeat of the seating fiasco that was there at the last game. It's 20 sheets for adults across the board and first come first serve as regards seats in the stand and in the terraces. No reserved seating anywhere.

Only because connacht council have nothing to do with tickets for this match, all Croke park from here on in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Could even see Andy starting with AOS moved to midfield.

Anybody know when the team is going to be announced?

Weather looks poor on Saturday afternoon. Will change the dynamic of the game totally. I always feel we play better with a dry ball and the faster game suits our style of play.
    Lets hope the systematic carrying of the ball into the tackle and then trying to work wonders with it, bouncing it on a slippy surface that was so evident three weeks ago is not an issue this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Anybody know when the team is going to be announced?

Tomorrow evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I was just wondering why Rochford kept Dillion in the panel. Personally, I think the legs are gone and I am not sure if he can offer anything now.

A great player for Mayo down the years but time has crept up on him

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement