Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

washman3 wrote: »
    What you need to watch for here is the team Rochford picks.

just further to your comment, it will be interesting to see if Conor O'Shea starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,219 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

seligehgit wrote: »

At the same time he didn`t give much away about his thoughts on Fermanagh.
    A county he managed up unti quitel recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

charlie14 wrote: »
    At the same time he didn`t give much away about his thoughts on Fermanagh.
    A county he managed up unti quitel recently.
    Cute Tyrone hoor....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Team named
    Clarke in goals
    Only other changes are DOC and Seamie in for parsons and gibbons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

1. David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)
    2. Brendan Harrison (Aghamore)
    3. Kevin Keane (Westpory)
    4. Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)
    5. Lee Keegan (Westport)
    6. Colm Boyle (Davitts)
    7. Patrick Durcan (Castlebar Mitchels)
    8. Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy)
    9. Stephen Coen (Hollymount/Carramore)
    10. Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)
    11. Aidan O’Shea (Breaffy)
    12. Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber)
    13. Evan Regan (Ballina Stephenites)
    14. Jason Doherty (Burrishoole)
    15. Cillian O’Connor (Ballintubber, captain).

Glad Clarke is getting a run and great to see DOC back in action. CMON Mayo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

km79 wrote: »
    Team named
    Clarke in goals
    Only other changes are DOC and Seamie in for parsons and gibbons

Team:1. David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)
    5. Lee Keegan (Westport)
    6. Colm Boyle (Davitts)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

statto25 wrote: »
    1. David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)
    5. Lee Keegan (Westport)
    6. Colm Boyle (Davitts)

Glad Clarke is getting a run and great to see DOC back in action. CMON Mayo!

I'm hoping there will none of the nonsense of changes before the ball is thrown in.Pretty happy with the selection,probably would have been happier with Aidan O Shea starting in the middle,I'm sure at times he'll drift out and perform an auxiliary midfield role/possibly inside on occasion.

Great to see David Clarke get his chance,expecting big performances from Seamie O Shea and Jason Doherty.Alan Freeman,I imagine will be disappointed he lost out for the full forward berth.

Great to see Stephen Coen starting in a more familiar role,London was a grand introduction to championship.It was unfortunate he was placed in a largely unfamiliar role against the tribesmen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

What is doing keeping Doherty on the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Glad to see Stephen Coen getting a go. Hope he puts in a good shift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

naughto wrote: »
    What is doing keeping Doherty on the team

I don't know
    I fully expected Loftus or possibly Freeman in the FF line.

Good to see Coen in the middle, time now for some big performances from the aforementioned Doherty and AOS.

I don't know

Good to see Coen in the middle, time now for some big performances from the aforementioned Doherty and AOS.

Maybe he has taken the view that those players got themselves into the mess and given them all a chance (bar Hennelly who had to be dropped really with Clarke as good as him ) to get us out of it !
    Or else that team won't start. I hope it does though. The time for that messing has passed

Maybe he has taken the view that those players got themselves into the mess and given them all a chance (bar Hennelly who had to be dropped really with Clarke as good as him ) to get us out of it !
    Or else that team won't start. I hope it does though. The time for that messing has passed

I agree that the players are been given a chance to prove to everyone that they are better than what we saw last time out.

Plus he's hardly flush with players in the middle and forwards to start dropping too many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

I don't know

Happy with the team from 1-9. Delighted to see Clarke in and also with Coen. He is an exciting prospect and now has the chance to make that number 9 jersey his for the next decade or so.

Great to see DOC back. Hopefully the long layoff will have him fully charged. I am mad to see Doherty in the starting six. From the line up there we don't have an out and out full forward, so will it be a case of constant changing and revolving between AOS and someone else ?? Really thought he would give freezer a run. Don't know what Doherty can bring to the table. Needs a really big game as does AOS. Of course if that isn't the starting team then the above argument is null and void. I have a sneaking suspicion that we may see one change to the starting six come half three tomorrow. So looking forward to it. Mountbellew moylough and CHarlestown playing in that novelty cup final prior to the Mayo game so there will be a small bot of entertainment for the early birds.

By John Fogarty
    GAA Correspondent
    Mayo’s two-time All-Star defender Kenneth Mortimer has called for calm in the county as the senior footballers aim to get their season back on track on Saturday.

As they prepare to face Fermanagh in Elverys MacHale Park, he says it’s vital people don’t write them off on the basis of their shock semi-final defeat against Galway.

“The sense in Mayo is one of bewilderment, for the most part. There have been quite a variety of ridiculous rumours floating, which are largely understandable, given the nature of the defeat.

“While it was totally unexpected not only in Mayo but across the country, I suspect, given the history of both teams, I would be calling for caution and calm on the Mayo side. Okay, it is one unexpected, poor performance but if you take into consideration that this is a team that has pretty much delivered at the business end of the championship for the previous five seasons, they don’t just collapse into being a poor team overnight. There are some structural issues that need to be addressed but that is largely reflective of the fact that there is a new management in place and they’re trying new processes. There is always going to be an element of education prior to that and it’s simply not going to happen overnight.

“The players in the group have been participating at such a high level such a long time, that to a large degree it’s surprising a performance like that hasn’t happened sooner. It’s their level of consistency that’s probably been the most admirable thing they demonstrated over that period.

“Having said that, the nonsense that occurred last season (Pat Holmes and Noel Connelly’s resignation) didn’t do them any favours, and it’s obviously put undue pressure on them. But at the same time, the players on the panel are of a sufficient high quality to recover and they have the opportunity to do so. It’s merely a case of the leaders in the group getting everyone to settle down and focus.”

The Shrule-Glencorrib man doesn’t believe there were people in Mayo waiting for the players to fall flat on their faces so as to bring up their opposition to Holmes and Connelly remaining on in charge. However, he added: “It’s a convenient argument for anyone to suggest this (Galway defeat) was a consequence of their actions. You have to try and apply an element of balance. The assumption is that they made their decision with the best of intentions. Whether they beat Fermanagh on Saturday or had beaten Galway, their goal remains the same. There may be mitigating factors in the background but it’s the same objective now.”

Mortimer expects Fermanagh to show no fear in Castlebar but then he doesn’t expect Mayo to show any trepidation in taking on Pete McGrath’s men. His chief concern is the battle for starting spots has diminished within Stephen Rochford’s camp.

“I wouldn’t necessarily suggest he doesn’t know his best team. He has been working with the group for the best part of six or seven months at this stage. The assumption is most teams are predicated on form and he can only go on what he sees within the training group. What would be a bigger concern for me is it has been so settled for so long, not enough younger talent have been pushing for places. Okay, one or two players have come through and there is an inevitability about that but there doesn’t seem to be more competition for some of the positions on the field.”

Robert Hennelly appears to have been the sacrificial lamb,a shot at redemption for the others.Arguably the management could have been more ruthless albeit they have a reduced pot to pick from...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Robert Hennelly appears to have been the sacrificial lamb,a shot at redemption for the others.Arguably the management could have been more ruthless albeit they have a reduced pot to pick from...

Yeah with injuries and everything, can't argue with the decisions really. I would suggest that a few players that weren't dropped and arguably could have been, e.g. Doherty, O'Shea, etc. got a stern talking to by Rochford and I suspect there might be a backlash. Well I hope so anyway; will be very disappointing if they don't come out with passion and the aim of playing full tilt to blow Fermanagh away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Should I bring the toolbag with me I wonder, in case they burst the dressingroom door off the hinges to get out on the pitch:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Padkir wrote: »
    Yeah with injuries and everything, can't argue with the decisions really. I would suggest that a few players that weren't dropped and arguably could have been, e.g. Doherty, O'Shea, etc. got a stern talking to by Rochford and I suspect there might be a backlash. Well I hope so anyway; will be very disappointing if they don't come out with passion and the aim of playing full tilt to blow Fermanagh away.

I doubt any stern talking to was given. I don't think it is in Rochford. Doherty is very lucky to have his spot and I would think the subs will be going how the hell has he kept his place after the last day.

He should have given loftus or freeman a chance instead of Doherty imo. Bad form by Rochford imo

A pisser of a day as well, so some deja vu like the Galway game already. The day does not suit Mayo. Lets hope they get the finger out this time and show a bit of class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Bring the jacket today lads, it's gonna be one greasy pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I take it there'll be tickets available at the gate today? Will be a few minutes from the park when it's on so I might rock down if it's dried up (so a 10% chance at best). How much as well, same as the Galway match I assume?

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    I take it there'll be tickets available at the gate today? Will be a few minutes from the park when it's on so I might rock down if it's dried up (so a 10% chance at best). How much as well, same as the Galway match I assume?

20 euro,15 euro with a season ticket,Juvenile 5 euro,OAP/Student with valid ID 10 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

I doubt any stern talking to was given. I don't think it is in Rochford. Doherty is very lucky to have his spot and I would think the subs will be going how the hell has he kept his place after the last day.

He should have given loftus or freeman a chance instead of Doherty imo. Bad form by Rochford imo

A pisser of a day as well, so some deja vu like the Galway game already. The day does not suit Mayo. Lets hope they get the finger out this time and show a bit of class.

Good chance that the team will line out differently to the one named.

Doherty must be doing something great in training that we can see to warrant his place. Suppose that we have to put our faith in the manager that he is making the right decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,219 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The boys coming down will be well used to the wet.
    Old Tom Brewster years ago when asked why Fermanagh didn`t win a game they were tipped to, said it was no great mystery seeing as half the county kicked with the other foot and half was covered in water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

I Think Doherty had a good outing last week for burrishoole at 1-5. So he might be showing well . With fermamaghs mid field being good . I hope Clarkes kickouts are on the penny.

Might be bad timing thinking of this and maybe not this year but next year I'd like to see coen at centre half . Then bring some cleverness to the forward line. I'm hoping Irwin picks up from there and can fill the boots of full forward.
    Can anyone add to this at the moment .

charlie14 wrote: »
    The boys coming down will be well used to the wet.
    Old Tom Brewster years ago when asked why Fermanagh didn`t win a game they were tipped to, said it was no great mystery seeing as half the county kicked with the other foot and half was covered in water.

Well it's quite a pleasant here,bit windy.Yeah I heard that before,plenty of decent ciotog footballers although I'm not too sure of the type you make mention of play gaelic football!;)TBF the two Wylie lads from Monaghan may not be exception rather than the norm..I'm not entirely sure.

Buzzing,if the lads are half as up for the game as I am,I'm hopeful of a positive result..Otherwise it's a long long summer.I'm sure there are a lot of other interested outside parties with more than a passing interest in where lies this Mayo team...was the Galway game a blip or a sign of a team in decline?

20 euro,15 euro with a season ticket,Juvenile 5 euro,OAP/Student with valid ID 10 euro.

Doesn't say on the Mayo Gaa site that it's 15 with a season ticket. Is that correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Doesn't say on the Mayo Gaa site that it's 15 with a season ticket. Is that correct

Well I got charged €35 on the credit card for 2 adults and 1 Under 16 on the season ticket so I was assuming it was 2 x €15 and 1 x €5.

Avns1s wrote: »
    Well I got charged €35 on the credit card for 2 adults and 1 Under 16 on the season ticket so I was assuming it was 2 x €15 and 1 x €5.

Fair enough. Did you get the tickets at centra or supervalue.
    I just picked up some juveniles in supervalue and there was no mention of season ticket pricing on the till .
    Thanks,

5 euro reduction on ticket cost for season ticket holders..applicable for all championship excepting All Ireland finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Bring the jacket today lads, it's gonna be one greasy pitch.

Has cleared up nicely in the last hour though so hopefully rain stays away

Very strong wind blowing down into the bacon factory end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

This better be a good show lads. Otherwise I'm requesting the thread is locked !!!

Good luck today. Your fullback will get a test anyway.

Stoner wrote: »
    Otherwise I'm requesting the thread is locked !!!

:D;)

Alan Freeman is in for Jason Doherty.

Alan Freeman is in for Jason Doherty.

That's a good call
    However Ed mcg real from mayo news just tweeted he heard Kevin mc in defence and Higgins in the forwards again
    That's insane if true
    Learn lessons

I Think Doherty had a good outing last week for burrishoole at 1-5. So he might be showing well . With fermamaghs mid field being good . I hope Clarkes kickouts are on the penny.

Might be bad timing thinking of this and maybe not this year but next year I'd like to see coen at centre half . Then bring some cleverness to the forward line. I'm hoping Irwin picks up from there and can fill the boots of full forward.
    Can anyone add to this at the moment .

Doherty often does well in and around the middle cleaning up "dirty ball", with Fermanaghs good midfield that's what he might be adding value doing, rather than an out and out scoring forward.

Doherty often does well in and around the middle cleaning up "dirty ball", with Fermanaghs good midfield that's what he might be adding value doing, rather than an out and out scoring forward.

Well scrap that :)

That's a good call
    However Ed mcg real from mayo news just tweeted he heard Kevin mc in defence and Higgins in the forwards again
    That's insane if true
    Learn lessons

Insane!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭coniosumadre

Mighty Mayo. Making a show of themselves again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

be nice

be nice
    Car crash TV. Getting pumped at home by Fermanagh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Car crash TV. Getting pumped at home by Fermanagh!!

Go watch the tennis if you don't like what you see:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

This is embarrassing.

Still waiting for a performance from Mayo.

Some shocking wides again.

Hopefully the breeze helps in the second half, but I'm not that confident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That wind is significant though. I could still see Mayo winning this but they're letting Fermanagh dominate at the back.

We are in trouble. Great display by Fermanagh so far though. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Mayo going out of the championship today on the basis of that first 35. This doesn't look good

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Mayo going out of the championship today on the basis of that first 35. This doesn't look good
    Nothing more than they deserve.let them take their medicine. Spineless fools. No harm in loosing. But put up a fight,show some spirit They deserve all the abuse that will follow today.

Can't believe we are persisting with Higgins and mcloughlin playing in each other's positions
    It's INSANE
    Goal came from Higgins kicking ball away on forwards and mcloughlin AWOL from sweeping position
    Just don't understand it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement