Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Still odds-on with Paddy Power !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

The after hours brigade are out in force early today ........

Dublin Joe having a blinder:mad:.

A clear dive by AO'S. Typical Dublin Joe decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

Aidan o'shea belongs on the stage, he's been diving all day long. It seems to be Mayo's new way to dive all around the place and cod the ref into giving soft or non-existent frees.

Anyway, Mayo are pants and won't be winning anything his year.

Nothing more than they deserve.let them take their medicine. Spineless fools. No harm in loosing. But put up a fight,show some spirit They deserve all the abuse that will follow today.

Plenty of spirit there
    Back to the ganglands with you

Nothing more than they deserve.let them take their medicine. Spineless fools. No harm in loosing. But put up a fight,show some spirit They deserve all the abuse that will follow today.

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Eh yeah, I'd be staying off the Twitter machine tonight, if I was Aidan O'Shea. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

A depressing win. More questions than lesson's learned.

And to think that there were any doubts about keeping Alan & Andy in the squad. Barry Moran done more than enough to earn his spot. 2 leaders in the two Morans and Alan's football intelligence shines through, it's not that hard to shine when the team looks clueless.

A shameless peno to help get us over the line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭coniosumadre

:D:D:D:D:D
    Celebrating scraping past Fermanagh at home. Nothing has changed. Enjoy today. Because that pumping still awaits in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Stephen Rotchfords voice in that interview :pac:

dats_right wrote: »
    Aidan o'shea belongs on the stage, he's been diving all day long. It seems to be Mayo's new way to dive all around the place and cod the ref into giving soft or non-existent frees.

Absolutley. They're going to annihilated in one of these rounds very soon

dats_right wrote: »

Absolutley. They're going to get annihilated in one of these rounds very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

We'll get hammered when we have to play one of the top teams.

We'll get hammered when we have to play one of the top teams.
    Yup. Not even a top team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Whoa, Pete McGrath not holding back there, calling it what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Deserved win for Mayo just about.
    Good second hand performance.

Pushed up on the Fermanagh kickouts and absolutely dominated the middle.

The penalty was a definite dive. AOS shouln't have been on the field at that stage for me. 3 definite dives earlier, and a possible second yellow challenge.

Having said that McQuillan did Cillian out of a penalty earlier, when the Fermanagh defender was on his back.

Colm Boyle will be lucky to escape retrospective action on the knee to Corrigan's face on the ground. Filthy stuff.

I have no idea what Rochford's plan is with McLoughlin sweeping in front of the full back line and Higgins up front. I don't think it works at all.

Mayo were very poor in the first half. Ran everything down the middle into 3 or 4 Fermanagh defenders.

Anyway everything was stepped up in the second half.

Boyle was my MOTM, dragged Mayo back into the game and kicked a great score.

PARlance wrote: »
    A depressing win. More questions than lesson's learned.

And to think that there were any doubts about keeping Alan & Andy in the squad. Barry Moran done more than enough to earn his spot. 2 leaders in the two Morans and Alan's football intelligence shines through, it's not that hard to shine when the team looks clueless.

A shameless peno to help get us over the line.

Andy Moran did very little, missed some very easy scores chances when he did come on.

We have arguably the worst forward line left in the championship. Besides scoring frees, the forwards are contributing very little. Our half backs are better at scoring from play than the forwards.

Barry Moran literally won the game for Mayo on his own, it changed as soon as he came on.

I can't see an All Ireland in this team. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Mighty Mayo. Making a show of themselves again

Get it up you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'd agree with Andy not doing much. He was determined to get a score and was needlessly selfish in the process imo.
    Again I also agree Barry Moran was very good , thought SOS looked good too.

Fermanagh were just held in, typical Mayo tactic in the second half. If the ball went long Mayo won it, if they tried working it out then they lost it very early, they knackered themselves trying to get the ball past their own half back line never mind work it in to the forwards. None of this was helped by the defenders who were decent man on man, but very poor at finding teammates when they tried to clear.

I think the qualifiers will be good for Mayo.

Andy Moran did very little, missed some very easy scores chances when he did come on.

We have arguably the worst forward line left in the championship. Besides scoring frees, the forwards are contributing very little. Our half backs are better at scoring from play than the forwards.

Barry Moran literally won the game for Mayo on his own, it changed as soon as he came on.

I thought all of the subs done well. Barry certainly made a big impact, the first ball he won was excellent.

We definitely looked completely disjointed going forward in the first half, Freeman didn't know where he was playing and Regan was quiet .The breeze was a big factor though.

2nd half was a big turnaround to be fair. We went at them immediately and looked fired up, which was needed. They ran out of juice and we penned them into their half very well. People can give out about the penalty all they want, it was a clear dive but we were owed the one before that was clear cut.

Kevin McLoughlin had a great game. He has all the attributes to be a great sweeper. Aidan was excellent too. Zippy and the likes of DOC put in a serious shift.

It's a decent win for us today considering we were six down at halftime. Lots to work on though but winning breeds confidence and hopefully that will give the lads a lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

I agree that Andy wasted a few chances. One time in particular when there were 4 supporting runners inside and he didn't give it was unforgivable. However I think he has to be commended for his actions when the penalty was awarded. He was astute to spot that the injured player for fermanagh would delay the taking of the penalty and grabbed the ball himself. This meant he took all the sly digs and all the mouthing from the lads trying to get into his head. By doing this it allowed Cillian to avoid it and thus take the penalty without all the stupid preamble that would have gone with it. Thought that was very clever and very showed good leadership and good team spirit to help his teammate.

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    I agree that Andy wasted a few chances. One time in particular when there were 4 supporting runners inside and he didn't give it was unforgivable. However I think he has to be commended for his actions when the penalty was awarded. He was astute to spot that the injured player for fermanagh would delay the taking of the penalty and grabbed the ball himself. This meant he took all the sly digs and all the mouthing from the lads trying to get into his head. By doing this it allowed Cillian to avoid it and thus take the penalty without all the stupid preamble that would have gone with it. Thought that was very clever and very showed good leadership and good team spirit to help his teammate.

Agree with the penalty incident
    Showed great leadership
    For one fearful moment I thought he was going to take it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

reap-a-rat wrote: »

I didn't even cop that and it was indeed very clever. I have serious doubts about Rochford, setting up with a sweeper at home to a weaker team sends out the wrong signals in my view. Dillion did very well and I'm delighted for him, if your good enough your young enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ultrapercy wrote:
    I didn't even cop that and it was indeed very clever. I have serious doubts about Rochford, setting up with a sweeper at home to a weaker team sends out the wrong signals in my view.

I guess he's trying to get lads used to the position.

If he didn't do it now they'd say he waited too long. Difficult situation. They were going to win it anyway and they starved fermanaghs forwards of he ball for most of the second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Mixed feelings, but pleased overall with the comeback.

Barry Moran made a huge difference when he came on. Don't know if he has a full 70 minutes in him at the moment, but should be pushing for a place. We cleaned them out at midfield in the second half, which was good to see.

Andy Moran needs to stop going for glory every time he comes on.

Thought Diarmuid did well, got around a good bit, and Kevin McLoughlin got on a fair amount of ball.

Wasn't overly impressed with Alan Freeman and I still don't think the FF line is doing enough in general. I think we failed to put any huge amount of pressure on Fermanagh's kickers too, allowing them to score freely at some points.

I'll leave all the whinging and moralizing about diving to other people, suffice to say AOS dived, but we would have won anyway so I'm not losing sleep over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Unreal - we could be playing Longford.
    They are after beating Monaghan!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Just as well we didn't get Longford!

Some result for Longford
    Thank god Monaghan are out
    We should have enough to beat the other 3 really

Hands up who wants Longford away :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

km79 wrote: »
    Some result for Longford
    Thank god Monaghan are out
    We should have enough to beat the other 3 really

Cork away would be dangerous,you never know what Cork team will turn up.I believe Brian Hurley is out for the year,big potential loss if he's on his game.

Hands up who wants Longford away :)

I'd prefer a home game,thanks very much.;)

Fair play to Longford! Great result for them. Wouldn't mind getting a bit of revenge for 2010 though!

seligehgit wrote: »
    I'd prefer a home game,thanks very much.;)

So would I but I'm willing to travel anywhere to right some wrongs :D

PressRun wrote: »
    Fair play to Longford! Great result for them. Wouldn't mind getting a bit of revenge for 2010 though!

Yes it would be great to right the wrong of 2010 but Longford are dangerous opponents with a bit of momentum.We got over the line today but none too convincingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,219 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

cocoman wrote: »
    Unreal - we could be playing Longford.
    They are after beating Monaghan!!!!!

A case of being careful what you wish for on that perhaps.
    Any team that goes to Clones and beats Monaghan will really have their tails up and fear nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Overall happy with the performance and obviously the result.

It was good to see them back to their old selves in the second half with the high pressing, hard tackling, turnover producing game.

And like the old days the half back line made their contribution to the score sheet.

Not sure what was going on in the first half, it was as if they were preserving their energy for when they needed in the second half when they knew Fermanagh would fade, then again they could have just been s***e.

Thought McLaughlin had a good game, Barry Moran was great when he came on, the same with Dillon oddly enough.
    Like others I thought Andy Moran could have done better.

I'm honestly not sure if Freeman is much better than Doherty, maybe Loftus is better than both of them.

It's a pity Freeman has not been able to reproduce the stuff we saw v Tyrone in 2013 regularly.

I think we have the beating of any of the other three but they will have to show us more of what we saw in the second half.

As for the penalty, well I'm sure there have been and will be other days when such decisions go against Mayo, take it and be grateful. I think they would have won anyway, Fermanagh on scored 2 pts in the second half.

Is Loftus injured? Was surprised that he wasn't in the subs.

Think we'll really miss Cafferky as things progress. What's the story with Chris Barrett? Not sure he'll see much game time at this point. When was the last time he played?

Overall happy with the performance and obviously the result.

It was good to see them back to their old selves in the second half with the high pressing, hard tackling, turnover producing game.

And like the old days the half back line made their contribution to the score sheet.

Not sure what was going on in the first half, it was as if they were preserving their energy for when they needed in the second half when they knew Fermanagh would fade, then again they could have just been s***e.

Thought McLaughlin had a good game, Barry Moran was great when he came on, the same with Dillon oddly enough.
    Like others I thought Andy Moran could have done better.

I'm honestly not sure if Freeman is much better than Doherty, maybe Loftus is better than both of them.

It's a pity Freeman has not been able to reproduce the stuff we saw v Tyrone in 2013 regularly.

I think we have the beating of any of the other three but they will have to show us more of what we saw in the second half.

As for the penalty, well I'm sure there have been and will be other days when such decisions go against Mayo, take it and be grateful. I think they would have won anyway, Fermanagh on scored 2 pts in the second half.

Yes I was mystified by the first half,constant running into cul de sacs,numerous turnovers,awful wides.Cillian off colour with placed balls...Fermanagh were very very good in the first half kicking some great scores aided by that not insignificant wind.

It's a real shame about Alan Freeman but he was lost at sea today and should have been called ashore sooner.

The second half was much better,the Mayo we know but was far from perfect.We got a stranglehold in midfield,Barry Moran was outstanding when he came on.He brought the best out in Seamie O Shea.The old stalwarts Colm Boyle in particular,Keith Higgins drove the team on.

It was a great shame re the penalty incident,it does not appear to have been Aidan O Shea's finest hour..Great point re Andy's timely piece of leadership in delay pre the taking of said penalty.It made up for a few rather poor shot selections he undertook.Alan Dillon and Andy Moran brought an undoubted impetus to the fightback,wise old heads.

I really am not that gone on the switching of Kevin Mc and Zippy,the younger lads came up a bit short today..the Patrick Durkan's,Stephen Coen's and Evan Regan's will do the jersey proud into the future.

It was a win I did not see happening in a million years at HT irrespective of the wind,so great credit to the lads for raising their intensity.It was none too convincing,I think Conor Loftus may deserve a day out to see if he can add a potency to a less than optimum forward line.Onwards to the next game,nothing easy there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is COC a small bit off so far this year? I know your man gave him MOTM today but I felt he was well within himself, possibly a small bit out of sorts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Higgins is ridiculous by the way.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Is COC a small bit off so far this year? I know your man gave him MOTM today but I felt he was well within himself, possibly a small bit out of sorts?

My father said the same. I thought he was grand, but might have been a bit rusty from lack of game time so far this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

McLoughlin's man did damage on the wing and nicked a couple of points. Vaughan shored this up when he came on.

A tale of 2 halves. We found it difficult to win our own kick outs in first half and Barry Moran added zest when he came in with great catching. We needed this.

Regan's chance was a great one and on his weak foot. That could have started the rout earlier.

In perspective, Fermanagh scored 2 points in 2nd half. Not a great return given their efforts in 1st half.

DOC, Higgins and Boyle top performers with Moran not far behind.

Roll on next round.

keane2097 wrote: »

Definitely is,he got next to no game time against London with the early black card.In the Galway game he was guilty of taking on some very ambitious shots off his left side.Even his place kicking was a little off,Today he missed an early free,passed up the opportunity to take a 45 which Alan Freeman proceeded to miss.Pretty unheard of.He has had a long term injury,little football time.I believe his normal imperious accuracy and confidence is little off..symptomatic of the blow to the confidence of the Mayo set up that was the Galway loss.The captain's role may be an additional burden and pressure too.Nothing a hard fought win can't cure.

I think he needs games to sharpen up a bit more. It's been a long lay-off for him. He wasn't at his best today, but was still an improvement on the Galway performance.

BTW I thought the referee had a very bad day out.I thought for large parts of the game early on we couldn't buy a free.In the end he did a job on both teams.

seligehgit wrote: »
    BTW I thought the referee had a very bad day out.I thought for large parts of the game early on we couldn't buy a free.In the end he did a job on both teams.

I haven't seen the game back but he wasn't great. There was some amount of booing going on in the stand, I think that might have won us a penalty!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hard to know what to take from the game. Definitely a game of 2 halves. Bit like us last year and this so far.
    1st half was total bewilderment, incredibly frustrating. A lot already said about it. Higgins in at FF at one stage, McLoughlin last man in defence. Lost midfield, missed passes, poor decisions etc etc etc. What ever this master plan that Rochford has for Zippy and McLoughs I'm struggling to find it. AOS was very poor in the first half and Regan had the worst 35 mins I have seen of him. Likewise Freezer, running out of chances now.

2nd half was total different game but really only after B Moran came in, Dillion made a big difference, aside from A Moran experience in protecting the penalty taker he missed a few chances. That said he did improve us.
    Level on intensity increased as Fermanagh died off. Penalty wasn't one, that said the stone wall penalty 10 minutes earlier was as shocking as AOS dive. He was hammered all day.

Thought Clarke was very solid, Keane still not sure. Got brushed off very easy. Durkan offered us nothing. SOS was off the pace. DOC was his usual superb best. He ran and ran.

Referee was just downright awful, how there was no black cards or more yellows is beyond me.

We move on and must improve or else we are gone, nothing easy from here on here. Still think we are missing the spark we have had for the last 3 or 4 years. i just hope it ignites.

As for the lad reading out the cattle prices at the start of the match, do they not listen to what someone sounds like before they give them the mike!!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I think this is the type of game that Mayo needed. They had to fight for the win.
    The second half looked like the guys are getting the show back and they should not have any doubts in the next round and play with the intensity of the second half.

There was a few things though.. I would be worried about Harrison and keane in full back line though, we carry the ball to much into the tackle and do not release it early enough into the forwards.

But overall a good result but lots to work on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

What was the attendance today? I couldn't hear a word that announcer said all afternoon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement