Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 Dringe123

statto25 wrote: »
    What was the attendance today? I couldn't hear a word that announcer said all afternoon.

At one stage RTE commentary said 10,000 and later 11,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Awful in the first half and Freeman, aside from the goal, showed why Doherty has been getting the nod ahead of him so far.

Though McLoughlin and Zippy were the 2 best with Boyle and Keegan doing well also.

I also thought when we were less defensive in shape we were a lot more potent and exciting to watch, a bit more like how we played under James Horan.
    Unless I'm mistaken the team we finished with would have been a James Horan starting 15, barring Caff and Barrett who are injured.
    I'm still not convinced by Harrison either. That is certainly a position that I'd pref we had more options in.

As regards the Penalty, you'd feel for Fermanagh but not by so much given what looked to me like a push on Keane before their goal and also what looked to me like a drag down on O'Connor in the box. Ref had a shocker in fairness, but It's not usual for us to be the beneficiary of poor officiating. I'm sure I'll still manage to sleep tonight. Even though we were down 6 at half time I knew they had it in them to pull it out of the bag in the second half.

As regards Aidan getting that call from the ref, you can be sure that while he was due at least one, it'll the last he'll get for a long time. He'll be shipping sly digs and trips from the opposition all day long from here on out without a free to be given.

Big improvements needed all the same. It's only getting toughe From here on out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Dringe123 wrote: »
    At one stage RTE commentary said 10,000 and later 11,000.

I thought they said 10,011 IIRC

Edit .. nah .. 12,317 according to Indo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 Dringe123

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I thought they said 10,011 IIRC

Edit .. nah .. 12,317 according to Indo

Just read this now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

No real mystery on the Mayo 1st half display as both sides struggled against the wind Fermanagh more than Mayo but i think Fermanagh could easily have found themselves further than 6 points ahead at the break.

The penalty really was a joke of a decision hard to believe not one official seen the clear dive and before the penalty O Shea should have seen red and to point out Fermangh led by a point before the penalty and Mayo didn't exactly knock the lights out after it with just 0-3. Big rub of the green twice Mayo got when the game was in the melting pot and in truth that got Mayo over the line today.

Mayo will have to greatly improve if they are to reach the All Ireland Quarter final this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

No real mystery on the Mayo 1st half display as both sides struggled against the wind Fermanagh more than Mayo but i think Fermanagh could easily have found themselves further than 6 points ahead at the break.

The penalty really was a joke of a decision hard to believe not one official seen the clear dive and before the penalty O Shea should have seen red and to point out Fermangh led by a point before the penalty and Mayo didn't exactly knock the lights out after it with just 0-3. Big rub of the green for Mayo twice got when the game was in the melting pot and in truth that got Mayo over the line today.

Mayo will have to greatly improve if they are to reach the All Ireland Quarter final this summer.

I think that that largely is the consensus on the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

PressRun wrote: »
    Fair play to Longford! Great result for them. Wouldn't mind getting a bit of revenge for 2010 though!

In fairness,we should be thanking them for knocking us out in 2010.Ok we didn't win an all-Ireland as of yet,but it was still a watershed moment for Mayo gaa.Plus Luigi's is like a mammy to us,making sure we're well fed and watered,on the way back from croker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Just re-watching the game again. McLoughlin isn't playing as a sweeper, he's half sweeper / half free role. I'm only 5 mins in and while he swept up well on two occasions, he proceeded to fly up the pitch and stay there hanging around long after he had made his bursts.

While the common concensus is that we'll have to up our game to get to a QF, I would say that is possible but we'll get no further playing that loosely. Good teams will crucify us with that kinda system.

Edit: And he was caught in no man's land for their goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Just wondering If anyone taped the match and put it up on YouTube?

Wouldn't mind seeing it and reserving comments until then.
    Thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

kupus wrote: »
    Just wondering If anyone taped the match and put it up on YouTube?

Wouldn't mind seeing it and reserving comments until then.
    Thx

I assume it's on the RTE player?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

yop wrote: »
    It doesn't, as it was 5 from 8 which were frees. And if you've watched any of the championship since then you will see many (not Mayo men) calling for more frees to be given to AOS as he seems to be more of a pony for opposition defenders. But then again memory will serve you well on that one ;)

Just wanted to check with Mr Yop, who pulled me up when I had the cheek to suggest (before the Galway game) that ........ for a big man AOS went to ground very easily, does he still agree that he does not get enough decisions?

Personally, I think that Mayo are still the best team in Connacht and are the best bet of any to bring Sam west of the Shannon, but the behaviour of AOS is I am afraid nothing short of disgraceful. It is not good for our game and not a good example for young fellas to follow. For some to say, it wasn't a penalty but it's ok as there were other decisions that the ref missed, which makes it ok........ It does not ! It is either right or wrong and it was very wrong. If Mayo were knocked out of the championship because of a penalty decision like that, the whole county would be up in arms. Behaviour like that, trying to gain an unfair advantage has no part in our games, it is not what sport is all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Just wanted to check with Mr Yop, who pulled me up when I had the cheek to suggest (before the Galway game) that ........ for a big man AOS went to ground very easily, does he still agree that he does not get enough decisions?

Personally, I think that Mayo are still the best team in Connacht and are the best bet of any to bring Sam west of the Shannon, but the behaviour of AOS is I am afraid nothing short of disgraceful. It is not good for our game and not a good example for young fellas to follow. For some to say, it wasn't a penalty but it's ok as there were other decisions that the ref missed, which makes it ok........ It does not ! It is either right or wrong and it was very wrong. If Mayo were knocked out of the championship because of a penalty decision like that, the whole county would be up in arms. Behaviour like that, trying to gain an unfair advantage has no part in our games, it is not what sport is all about.

Mayo Kerry replay 2014
    Aidan O Shea pulled to the ground on edge of square (Google the photo ) . Ball goes over bar.
    No penalty
    James O donoghue dives. Wins penalty .Goal.
    Mayo lose
    Kerry win All Ireland
    Whole county up in arms . Kerry still win all Ireland.
    "Soft" mayo lads complaining. "Sore losers "
    Too nice for too long .
    Nice guys finish last.
    Best of luck tomorrow . If ye double hop a ball and win by a point I hope ye offer the Rossies a replay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Still not sure about McLoughlin as sweeper. I would agree that he needs game time to learn the position. I also think that turnover ball is so hard to defend against, and in the run up to today's Fernanagh goal we gave away a v cheap pass - puts the defence under a lot of pressure.

I still however don't get why we also have Keith Higgins out of position. At this stage there's no surprise element - just play another forward instead of Higgins? Or play Higgins in defence? Why does it have to be a swap between Higgins & McLoughlin?

macinalli wrote: »
    Still not sure about McLoughlin as sweeper. I would agree that he needs game time to learn the position. I also think that turnover ball is so hard to defend against, and in the run up to today's Fernanagh goal we gave away a v cheap pass - puts the defence under a lot of pressure.

I still however don't get why we also have Keith Higgins out of position. At this stage there's no surprise element - just play another forward instead of Higgins? Or play Higgins in defence? Why does it have to be a swap between Higgins & McLoughlin?

Agree 100%
    Also the bitterness here and elsewhere is beautiful
    I'm sick of being pitied "ah poor auld mayo "
    We won . Don't care how anymore . Had enough faux sympathy after Kerry in limerick
    Time to take a leaf out of Mickey Hartes book
    Win and apologize to no one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

km79 wrote: »
    Agree 100%
    Also the bitterness here and elsewhere is beautiful
    I'm sick of being pitied "ah poor auld mayo "
    We won . Don't care how anymore . Had enough faux sympathy after Kerry in limerick
    Time to take a leaf out of Mickey Hartes book
    Win and apologize to no one

Mayo dominated the second half and probably would have scraped over the line even without the penalty. I think the better team won overall, just about. The penalty was a huge turning point though as Fermanagh were still very much in it that stage and it could have gone either way.

But there's no condoning the act of diving. This is something that has bedeviled soccer for many years and has been gradually creeping into gaa. It's cheating simple as. Aidan O'Shea could have stayed on his feet and played the ball rather than indulging in that nonsense.

By saying 'I don't care how anymore' you are effectively saying you don't care if Mayo win even by cheating. If Galway win the Connacht final tomorrow by cheating/diving I would not be happy. It would be a hollow victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

How is a penalty a turning point when it was awarded against a team who were on the back foot for the second half, playing into the wind, no decent subs, midfield completely gone, pretty shattered looking.
    I know it was a dive, but half time was the turning point imo. Fermanagh lost the wind and had no bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Mayo dominated the second half and probably would have scraped over the line even without the penalty. I think the better team won overall, just about. The penalty was a huge turning point though as Fermanagh were still very much in it that stage and it could have gone either way.

But there's no condoning the act of diving. This is something that has bedeviled soccer for many years and has been gradually creeping into gaa. It's cheating simple as. Aidan O'Shea could have stayed on his feet and played the ball rather than indulging in that nonsense.

By saying 'I don't care how anymore' you are effectively saying you don't care if Mayo win even by cheating. If Galway win the Connacht final tomorrow by cheating/diving I would not be happy. It would be a hollow victory.

It would in it's hole be a hollow victory.

You'd argue that what goes around comes around and that someday in the past or future someone else cheated Galway out of something, and you'd be dead right.

It was a turning point because Fermanagh had just kicked a crucial score to go back in front and were leading with just 6 mins to go. I'm not saying that minus the penalty they would definitely have won it, but they were still in with every chance and Mayo were struggling to put them away. The penalty finished it and decided a game that until then looked like it was going to the wire.

For all that Mayo dominated the second half they did not get into a winning position until that moment. So yes it was of course a turning point as it knocked the stuffing out of Fermanagh and more or less ended the game as a contest. Mayo might still have won but it would have been tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Stoner wrote: »
    How is a penalty a turning point when it was awarded against a team who were on the back foot for the second half, playing into the wind, no decent subs, midfield completely gone, pretty shattered looking.
    I know it was a dive, but half time was the turning point imo. Fermanagh lost the wind and had no bench.

The introduction of Barry Moran was a bigger turning point than anything, imo. He won almost every battle in the air and his ability to win possession gave a clear lift to the team. Fermanagh were unable to cope with him and his influence in the middle was a big part of what kept Fermanagh stuck in their own half for nearly all of the second half.

It would in it's hole be a hollow victory.

You'd argue that what goes around comes around and that someday in the past or future someone else cheated Galway out of something, and you'd be dead right.

I stand by what I said. If Galway win tomorrow I'd like us to win by playing good football, not by cheating. And I'm not suggesting Mayo only won because of the penalty, on the balance of things they'd probably have won it by a point or two even without the penalty.

And I hope the AOS diving thing doesn't get overblown to much. He deserves to be called out on it and hopefully he won't do that again. I know Mayo supporters will say he gets a lot of 'special' treatment and often doesn't get frees that he should, but I think his direct running, almost barging style and the way he goes down quite easily often makes it hard to tell whether he's actually been fouled or not.

Like even in the game today there was a free earlier on that he was given, right in front of the goal, where replays showed that he pretty much stumbled/fell over under his own momentum, and was not fouled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Just watched the game back. Fermanagh got their scores in the second half from frees that were precisely the same as the penalty incident. Minimal push to the back, player goes down, Mcquillan was giving those all day long. Both fermanaghs scores in the second half came from such frees.
    Even the commentary was "soft, but legitimate" for the Fermanagh frees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Will reserve judgement until I watch the game back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,219 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

As someone who had no skin in the game other than being a GAA man since I could first kick a ball many many years ago, for what it`s worth regardless of AOS diving or not, there are times when a goal is often worth more than the three points it registers on the scoreboard.
    From being in a position of chasing a last chance championship game a point down with 6 minutes to go, to being two up is a whole different world.
    As I said, not a game I had skin in, but something I just thought should be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Mayo were the better team overall, the penalty was a turning point and how anyone can condone AOS and his antics is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

As many questions as yesterday's game threw up in terms of our prospects some bit of context needs to be put on the result.Fermanagh were tough opponents.They reached an All Ireland quarter final last year and put up a decent display whilst never looking like having a snowballs chance of winning.There lies the chasm between ourselves and Dublin atm.I'd have imagined they were very disappointed they did'nt kick on against Donegal after Donegal went down to 14 men.Not too many counties would throw their nose at forwards of the quality of Quigley or Corrigan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Mayo were the better team overall, the penalty was a turning point and how anyone can condone AOS and his antics is beyond me.

Who exactly is 'condoning' the dive? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

km79 wrote: »
    Mayo Kerry replay 2014
    Aidan O Shea pulled to the ground on edge of square (Google the photo ) . Ball goes over bar.
    No penalty
    James O donoghue dives. Wins penalty .Goal.
    Mayo lose
    Kerry win All Ireland
    Whole county up in arms . Kerry still win all Ireland.
    "Soft" mayo lads complaining. "Sore losers "
    Too nice for too long .
    Nice guys finish last.
    Best of luck tomorrow . If ye double hop a ball and win by a point I hope ye offer the Rossies a replay

If it was up to me and I had the power, I would wipe a score off the board not just if it was a double hop, if it was any rule that was broken ! The thing is I would rather lose with dignity and integrity intact than by cheating !

I believe that Mayo would have won the game fair and square without the diving, and adopting the attitude of "win at all costs and apologie to no one" shows exactly were we are in this country. We never made a fuss out of a French footballer cheating us out of a World Cup by handling a ball, did we? Everyone in Mayo said fair play to him, for winning at all costs.

Mayo are not a "soft" team, they are a great team. They have won lots already, they can go on and win All Ireland's to add to their numerous Connacht titles, they can do it by playing by playing good football, they have the players. They do not need to resort to diving. Win..... Fairly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I'm not condoning it, but I certainly won't be losing any sleep over it...

There's undoubtedly plenty other supporters with a similar outlook.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I'm not condoning it, but I certainly won't be losing any sleep over it...

There's undoubtedly plenty other supporters with a similar outlook.

In the lifetime of supporting a team you will get some and you will lose some.

That is one Mayo won, no doubt in the future they will win others and they will lose others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

km79 wrote:
    Mayo Kerry replay 2014 Aidan O Shea pulled to the ground on edge of square (Google the photo ) . Ball goes over bar. No penalty James O donoghue dives. Wins penalty .Goal. Mayo lose Kerry win All Ireland Whole county up in arms . Kerry still win all Ireland. "Soft" mayo lads complaining. "Sore losers " Too nice for too long . Nice guys finish last. Best of luck tomorrow . If ye double hop a ball and win by a point I hope ye offer the Rossies a replay

The famous photo you are referring to was taken this year, in the league. Ball goes over the bar, so the referee cannot give a penalty. Can't see why you are complaining.

Second of all Cafferky fouled James O'Donaghue, no matter how many times you say it didn't happen. You can't slide through the back of a player like that.

To finish, you are still going on about a game that happened 2 years ago, and wondering why people would have the notion that Mayo fans are sore losers. Think about that. In those two years ye have had two different management teams, won an u21 All Ireland, came within a whisker of beating Dublin and are now working your way through the qualifiers. The game moves on.

Your sense of what happened during that Semi Final is so warped now that you are putting incidents from other games into that game to convince yourself that Kerry robbed ye of an All Ireland.

Time to get over it.

(I know Kerry people who still go on about the 2011 final and would offer them the same advice).

DDC1990 wrote: »
    The famous photo you are referring to was taken this year, in the league. Ball goes over the bar, so the referee cannot give a penalty. Can't see why you are complaining.

Second of all Cafferky fouled James O'Donaghue, no matter how many times you say it didn't happen. You can't slide through the back of a player like that.

To finish, you are still going on about a game that happened 2 years ago, and wondering why people would have the notion that Mayo fans are sore losers. Think about that. In those two years ye have had two different management teams, won an u21 All Ireland, came within a whisker of beating Dublin and are now working your way through the qualifiers. The game moves on.

Your sense of what happened during that Semi Final is so warped now that you are putting incidents from other games into that game to convince yourself that Kerry robbed ye of an All Ireland.

Time to get over it.

(I know Kerry people who still go on about the 2011 final and would offer them the same advice).

I think it might have been the drink last night that warped my sense :D
    I take your point though
    Still it's better to be a poor winner today than a sore loser

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Oshea dived 100% to con the ref. Was he right to do it? I am surprised there is even a debate about this.

The owness is on the ref to sort out the behaviour of the players and the rules need to be clear about offences. At the moment, there is no hard penalty for simulating a dive - Therefore players will dive when it suits them.

The difficulty that Oshea now faces is that many refs will give him nothing for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

eddie73 wrote: »
    Oshea dived 100% to con the ref. Was he right to do it? I am surprised there is even a debate about this.

The owness is on the ref to sort out the behaviour of the players and the rules need to be clear about offences. At the moment, there is no hard penalty for simulating a dive - Therefore players will dive when it suits them.

The difficulty that Oshea now faces is that many refs will give him nothing for the rest of the year.

Well he gets sweet F all anyway so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Look back through thread.

Is there a role of the umpires here, I'm sure there should be.

Can they call a dive ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

km79 wrote:
    Still it's better to be a poor winner today than a sore loser

Absolutely. The record books don't put an astrix beside a win with a lucky goal or a bad refereeing descision.

A win is a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Look back through thread.

I have done and nobody is condoning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

OShea a disgrace to the game. You would never see a Donegal man do that.

The amount of treatment big men like OShea Murphy and Donaghy get without getting frees is a bit of a joke so not gonna begrudge them the odd handy one even if last nights was a particularly egregious dive.

On this subject saw a great interview with Lee Keegan last year where he said all the top teams practice "the dark arts" and he wasnt going to either apologise or complain about it. Which I thought was a refreshingly honest approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

https://youtu.be/iPa9bgxRyXE

Saw this clip on 42.
    2004 Mayo v Fermanagh.
    The same Alan Dillon played then too. Mayo had some nice forwards. Looked like a very good atmosphere in a far from packed CP too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

harpsman wrote: »
    OShea a disgrace to the game. You would never see a Donegal man do that.

No you never would.

https://youtu.be/Q1yGDJnE1Hs

• Advertisement

Galway 1-9 Mayo 0-6 in the Connacht minor football final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Bingo. Could wind up being a very, very expensive 3 pts for Mayo.

Looking forward to the next round
    Is Rochford going to continue with Higgins in the forward line ?
    I hope not but fear he will

ProudDUB wrote: »

If the (obviously unsaid) message coming out from the refs after this is "don't cheat or we will make it difficult for you from now on" then the system is well and truly broken.

Thell have to look at diving in the next congress.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,219 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

If the (obviously unsaid) message coming out from the refs after this is "don't cheat or we will make it difficult for you from now on" then the system is well and truly broken.

I don`t know if it would quite go that far, but when it looks as if you have made a mug of one ref, especially when seen on national TV, then probably only natural that others will be much more hesitant in awarding frees to that player

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

ProudDUB wrote: »

Indeed, if this outrage continues he'll be needing the services of Diarmuid Connelly's leagal team soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Rawhead wrote: »
    Indeed, if this outrage continues he'll be needing the services of Diarmuid Connelly's leagal team soon.

Best of luck getting Tony Hanahoe to help out a non Vincents client, never mind a non Dubs one. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Never seemed to cause Philly McMahon, Aidan O'Mahoney or Sean Cavanagh any trouble afterwards, so I dont see why it would for O'Shea.

It is striking how much people have latched onto this. They won by 5 points for a start, so the goal wasnt the difference in the game. Fermanagh's goal looked to involve a push in the back and O'Connor should have had a penalty 10 minutes before the dive. Factor in the Fermanagh lad taking a tumble in front of the posts when seamus o'shea was tackling him fairly, and really and truely, there shouldnt be half the fallout from this.

I think people just dont like o'shea. It has a touch of the c ronaldos about it, he just seems to rub people up the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TommyDe

What about Quigleys push on Boyle for fermanaghs goal? At a crucial time too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Connacht GAA Championship Senior Final replay Sat 16th July in MacHale Park time to be confirmed #gaa

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement