Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

naughto wrote: »
    Connacht GAA Championship Senior Final replay Sat 16th July in MacHale Park time to be confirmed #gaa

Yes indeed,it will be interesting to see what happens if we get a home draw in the qualifiers...presumably it would have been fixed for next Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yes indeed,it will be interesting to see what happens if we get a home draw in the qualifiers...presumably it would have been fixed for next Saturday.

Possibility of a big double-header.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Careful what you wish for with a double header. A bunch of Galway and Roscommon people present and probably shouting against Mayo.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

PressRun wrote: »
    Careful what you wish for with a double header. A bunch of Galway and Roscommon people present and probably shouting against Mayo.

No probably about it.
    Can't see how they can manage it, hopefully our game first, then we can leave and watch paint dry instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

yop wrote: »
    No probably about it.
    Can't see how they can manage it, hopefully our game first, then we can leave and watch paint dry instead.

The Mayo game will be the curtain raiser no doubt about that. Out then to get the high stools before the other game finishes

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

statto25 wrote: »
    The Mayo game will be the curtain raiser no doubt about that. Out then to get the high stools before the other game finishes starts
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Would it have killed those moochers over the road to factor in the possibility of a Connacht Final replay into their redevelopment plans??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

PressRun wrote: »

Ah, if its Mayo v Cork we may get a few defectors:D.

I don't see the sense in announcing the venue for the Connacht final before the draw for the qualifiers is made anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ah, if its Mayo v Cork we may get a few defectors:D.

If its Mayo v Cork then capacity will not be a problem, unless the Cork fan decides to bring his friend.

If its Mayo v Cork then capacity will not be a problem, unless the Cork fan decides to bring his friend.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

If we get a home draw tomorrow morning we'll most likely be moved to Sunday. Connacht championship run by Connacht Council (prenty) and qualifiers is All Ireland series run by Croke Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

If we're drawn at home I suppose we'll be half the week waiting for throw in times!
    Can't see a double header happening. For a start we'll have to pay €30 (for stand) that would normally cost €20. Also if we get Longford at home they could bring a few thousand and I think Ros v Gal will prob attract 25k anyway.

Anybody got a report on the minor game??From the Galway thread it appears they were only trailing by 4 points to 2 points after playing against the wind.No score for 10 minutes and then Galway hit 1-1 and never looked back....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Ok what are our opponents options. Is it all from the same side of the draw. Will it be
    Cork Longford Cavan Kildare .

• Advertisement

Ok what are our opponents options. Is it all from the same side of the draw. Will it be

Cork,Longford or Kildare.

Cork, Longford or Kildare.

All well beatable by a firing on all cylinders Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

We can't play Cavan.

statto25 wrote: »
    We can't play Cavan.
    why can't we?

why can't we?

Cavan on A side of draw. We're B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

From connacht telegraph a few mins ago

The time of the throw-in will not be decided until after the tomorrow morning's draw for the next round of the All-Ireland SFC Qualifers.

In the event of Mayo being drawn at home to Cork, Longford or Kildare, the Castlebar venue could host two games next Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Absolutely. The record books don't put an astrix beside a win with a lucky goal or a bad refereeing descision.

A win is a win.[/QUOTE

wikipedia says otherwise:)

Pete mcgrath must have been busy typing!!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_All-Ireland_Senior_Football_Championship

Look at Qualifiers Round 2 section with the note attached with the game yesterday!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Look at Qualifiers Round 2 section with the note attached with the game yesterday!!!!!!

Fixed ;)

maximus15 wrote: »
    DDC1990 wrote: »
    Absolutely. The record books don't put an astrix beside a win with a lucky goal or a bad refereeing descision.

A win is a win.[/QUOTE

Ooops, its gone now.

some Northie lad from Bellaghy I see. Bitter pill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'd like to see Kildare vs Mayo.

Stoner wrote: »

*should be an open game then.

I'd be wary of Cork away, tbh. You just don't know which Cork team will show up.

Stoner wrote: »

According to the bible of Wikipedia Newbridge only has a capacity of 6200. Would it go ahead there?

I don't really mind travelling but the thought of a trip to Cork on Saturday evening isn't very appealing. It probably wouldn't be on TV either if the Connaught replay is on Saturday aswell.

cocoman wrote: »
    According to the bible of Wikipedia Newbridge only has a capacity of 6200. Would it go ahead there?

I don't really mind travelling but the thought of a trip to Cork on Saturday evening isn't very appealing. It probably wouldn't be on TV either if the Connaught replay is on Saturday aswell.
    Portlaoise if it's Kildale away I would imagine.

+1 on the prospect of a trip to Cork.

cocoman wrote: »

The thought of a trip to Newbridge is the stuff of nightmares...Poky little ground,hardly fit to accommodate such a crowd as would be expected.Nightmare for parking too.

• Advertisement

Mayo at home to Kildare.Not a bad draw.

:)

Mayo at home to Kildare.Not a bad draw.

Nope, that will be interesting to see how Connacht Council fk this tickets setup now! :)

Need to push on with our 2nd half performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Not the worst draw, I'll get this is nice and quick so I won't have to say it again: Barry Moran has to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Probably won't be on till next weekend. Kildare are in the Leinster minor final on Sunday have to give supporters a chance to get to both

Happy enough with the draw.
    I would put Kildare on a similar level to Fermanagh so with home advantage once again I would be optimistic of progressing.

paulie21 wrote: »
    Probably won't be on till next weekend. Kildare are in the Leinster minor final on Sunday have to give supporters a chance to get to both

I have grave doubts the GAA will take that into account,concern for accomodating supporters has never been a top priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

I have grave doubts the GAA will take that into account,concern for accomodating supporters has never been a top priority.

It's all about the money would be great to get a double header but think one game on the sat and one on the Sunday

Probably more likely to be a double header if the Kildare minors are out on Sunday?

• Advertisement

no they will DEFINITELY have the Senior and Minor games on Sunday then at the same time. This is the GAA. Logic doesn't enter their stratosphere.
    Home game now, so let Prenty Council find another field for the other 2. Or replay the handpassing final on Sunday.

no they will DEFINITELY have the Senior and Minor games on Sunday then at the same time. This is the GAA. Logic doesn't enter their stratosphere.
    Home game now, so let Prenty Council find another field for the other 2. Or replay the handpassing final on Sunday.

Send them up to Sligo for it. It's the only logical thing to do when they want to send Connacht final teams on the hardest journey possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

martyos121 wrote: »
    Send them up to Sligo for it. It's the only logical thing to do when they want to send Connacht final teams on the hardest journey possible.

Sligo isn't big enough for a connacht final.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Sligo isn't big enough for a connacht final.

Exactly.

Kildare are a team that lost twice last year by 20+ points to teams that Mayo have gone toe to toe with.

Admittedly they have a new manager, one that worked with Mayo before, but with home advantage also I'd still expect a fully functioning Mayo to win without too much fuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Kildare are a team that lost twice last year by 20+ points to teams that Mayo have gone toe to toe with.

Admittedly they have a new manager, one that worked with Mayo before, but with home advantage also I'd still expect a fully functioning Mayo to win without too much fuss.

Agreed we couldn't have got a better draw this time around

• Advertisement

They are quite a bit off full functioning atm,hoping to see an improved performance with a win to boot.The big elephant in the room is whither this Mayo team can reach previous performance levels...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

They are quite a bit off full functioning atm,hoping to see an improved performance with a win to boot.The big elephant in the room is whither this Mayo team can reach previous performance levels...

I'm still feeling fairly deflated from Saturday. Not even a decent good second half battle gives me much hope. We should handle Kildare but past that, the maximum I can see is getting close to performances of years gone by, which won't be good enough.

I just can't see any vision for the team. No real purpose. Not much has changed from last year bar deciding that McLoughlin is a sweeper and Higgins, a forward.
    There's a great bunch of lads there but I've the fear and I didn't touch a drop all weekend.

PARlance wrote: »
    I'm still feeling fairly deflated from Saturday. Not even a decent good second half battle gives me much hope. We should handle Kildare but past that, the maximum I can see is getting close to performances of years gone by, which won't be good enough.

I just can't see any vision for the team. No real purpose. Not much has changed from last year bar deciding that McLoughlin is a sweeper and Higgins, a forward.
    There's a great bunch of lads there but I've the fear and I didn't touch a drop all weekend.

One thing I forgot to mention after the game.

What is it with them continuing to give teams clear cut goal chances late it games that they are leading in.

How often has it happened in the last few years, and again on Saturday.

This team are what they are, a team that struggled in the league, lost early in the championship and are now navigating the back door.

The best they we can hope for is a return to recent form, but nothing more I don't think.
    This is not a team keeping their powder dry for August, or not showing their hand till Croke Park etc.

They have no powder left to keep dry, they have no hand to show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I wonder will we actually get a fixture announced today?
    There'll be some stand-off all morning between Castlebar/Connacht Council & Croke Park as to who gets first call on the venue.
    I suspect they'll be back to Salthill next weekend to play the replay.

I wonder will we actually get a fixture announced today?
    There'll be some stand-off all morning between Castlebar/Connacht Council & Croke Park as to who gets first call on the venue.
    I suspect they'll be back to Salthill next weekend to play the replay.

Typical
    Why announce a venue if its dependent on something else, i.e the qualifier draw.

A double header would work if you ask me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement