Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I wonder will we actually get a fixture announced today?
    There'll be some stand-off all morning between Castlebar/Connacht Council & Croke Park as to who gets first call on the venue.
    I suspect they'll be back to Salthill next weekend to play the replay.

And so they should
    This is a home game for mayo. Double header with 20k from galway and ros is no longer a home game
    Final was in Galway so replay should be in Roscommon. But they have no pitch so tough tittie back to galway with them. Mayo should not be discomoded to suit them. They spent money on a bus when a pitch was needed !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Typical
    Why announce a venue if its dependent on something else, i.e the qualifier draw.

A double header would work if you ask me.

I'd like to think a double header would work but it's us that'll take the lion's share of tickets even for the lesser game that it is on paper. If they're happy enough with that, fine, we'll get our money's worth that day then, but I'm not sure they will be.

Having said that, nothing could possibly surprise me with any of those committees and councils anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Typical
    Why announce a venue if its dependent on something else, i.e the qualifier draw.

A double header would work if you ask me.

Don't think they can do a double header, one game is organised by Connacht Council, the other by Croke Park.
    How will they reserve the unreserved seating?
    How do they justify charging Mayo fans extra to go to a game they don't want to see?
    How would they split the funds ?

They could do two separate fixtures, 3:30 & 7pm, clear the grounds, but that would be messy.

My betting would be on one of the following:-

Both games Saturday - then its Mayo in Castlebar, replay in Salthill.
    Both games in Castlebar - but one Saturday, one Sunday.

I can actually see us playing Sunday, seeing as they've already called the replay for Saturday.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Don't think they can do a double header, one game is organised by Connacht Council, the other by Croke Park.
    How will they reserve the unreserved seating?
    How do they justify charging Mayo fans extra to go to a game they don't want to see?
    How would they split the funds ?

They could do two separate fixtures, 3:30 & 7pm, clear the grounds, but that would be messy.

Well everyone can see that logic as you have outlined above. But remember this is Prenty, the lad who put the Connacht final in Hyde when there was no seating for all the season ticket holders, the farcical mess in the Mayo V Galway game with the unreserved "oh its reserved" seating.
    The same chap who said Mayo fans always have something to whinge about when Limerick was used as semi final replay spot.
    The only thing they see is the euros.

So what ever we see as logical or problematic will be ignored. They will save on so much by having one venue and charge top dollar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Load of club games announced for Sunday so game must be looking like a Saturday fixture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Losing to Galway was awful for our AI run it goes without saying, but jaysus it could be the best thing to happen to Castlebar pub owners in a decade at this rate! :pac:

Hoping for our game and no other at MacHale Park on Saturday though, not even just for our sake, but for Galway and the Rossies, they've done well and deserve their own day tbf. If we were in a Connacht final outnumbered by a team not involved in it, we'd feel quite hard done by.

My betting would be on one of the following:-

Both games Saturday - then its Mayo in Castlebar, replay in Salthill.
    Both games in Castlebar - but one Saturday, one Sunday.

I can actually see us playing Sunday, seeing as they've already called the replay for Saturday.

Be VERY unfair on Kildare as their minors play on Croker on Sunday
    For me there is no issue
    Replay in Galway. Roscommon have no pitch. Mayos is not available to them now. Sligo and Carrick too small. Tough on them

Also it's worth bearing in mind sky have a qualifier marked down for 7pm on Saturday . No way the conn final will be played before our game so assuming mayo are on TV .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

km79 wrote: »
    For me there is no issue
    Replay in Galway. Roscommon have no pitch. Mayos is not available to them now. Sligo and Carrick too small. Tough on them

Also it's worth bearing in mind sky have a qualifier marked down for 7pm on Saturday . No way the conn final will be played before our game so assuming mayo are on TV .......

Longford and Cork could be on TV.

km79 wrote: »
    For me there is no issue

Sunday in Castlebar maybe? Problem there though it leaves a 6 day turnaround (yet again) for the losers as they are due to play on Sat the 23rd July. The GAA will have to take a look again at fixtures I feel as even the A & B system is not properly dealing with the situation of replays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

The Connacht final will be on Saturday for sure. They won't have it clash with the other two provincial finals.

I'd imagine a double header in McHale Park is on the cards. Kildare will bring less support than Fermanagh so i'd expect around 10k to 12k from Mayo/Kildare and maybe 17k for the Replay.

29k fits comfortably in McHale park. The big stand accomodates all Season Ticket holders.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    The Connacht final will be on Saturday for sure. They won't have it clash with the other two provincial finals.

I'd imagine a double header in McHale Park is on the cards. Kildare will bring less support than Fermanagh so i'd expect around 10k to 12k from Mayo/Kildare and maybe 17k for the Replay.

29k fits comfortably in McHale park. The big stand accomodates all Season Ticket holders.

What happens if sky want their 7pm game to be the mayo one ?
    Sky call the shots now as the delay in fixing last game showed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Sunday in Castlebar maybe? Problem there though it leaves a 6 day turnaround (yet again) for the losers as they are due to play on Sat the 23rd July. The GAA will have to take a look again at fixtures I feel as even the A & B system is not properly dealing with the situation of replays.

Weekend of 23rd is a week off for the B side of the draw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Connacht council run the final, tickets are €30 for the stand. GAA runs qualifiers and no way they'll be charging €30 for a qualifier game, there'll be no double header. It'd be like an away game anyway if it was a double header as you'd have the herron chokers and the sheep stealers cheering on the flour bags.
    Funny how a fella falling over in a game creates a bigger **** storm than a man trying to gouge an opponents eyes out in an All Ireland final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

km79 wrote:
    What happens if sky want their 7pm game to be the mayo one ? Sky call the shots now as the delay in fixing last game showed

Then pack the car up! Ye could be off to play Kildare in Portlaoise or Tullamore,while the Rossies and Galway handpass around McHale Park! :O

Weekend of 23rd is a week off for the B side of the draw.

The GAA fixtures list has the Connacht final loser v a round 3A winner down for the 23rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

The GAA fixtures list has the Connacht final loser v a round 3A winner down for the 23rd.

Yes and that's the A side of the draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Then pack the car up! Ye could be off to play Kildare in Portlaoise or Tullamore,while the Rossies and Galway handpass around McHale Park! :O

They might send us to Hyde Park for our sins :eek:

statto25 wrote: »
    Yes and that's the A side of the draw

It can be very confusing tbh. Once a county reaches its provincial final is it in effect not in the A or B system anymore?

• Advertisement

Your right, I did not read your post right, you were refering to Galway/Roscommon losers, I thought it was Mayo/Kildare winners.

Yes 6 day turn around for Galway or Roscommon but that's their own fault for not winning on the first day.

There is only so much you can do to accommodate replays.

It can be very confusing tbh. Once a county reaches its provincial final is it in effect not in the A or B system anymore?

Provincial losers go into the last round of the A or B qualifiers depending on how it's drawn out originally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

Id be surprised if replay sunday and not televised !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

maximus15 wrote: »
    Id be surprised if replay sunday and not televised !!

Ulster and Leinster finals are the televised games. Sky have a qualifier on Saturday evening. That may be the Mayo game.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Replay not televised. In fairness as intriguing as it was, it was awful to watch. So not much attraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Is there anything to be said for a return to the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick??? ;)

Would suit me (and a few other Limerick based exiles) but nobody else I guess.

Over on the Ross thread it seems the Sunday is confirmed for the replay.

Therefore 7pm on Saturday, on Sky looks likely.

Eir win lose draw has had TBA's changed since this morning to

Galway - Roscommon 16th July Castlebar
    Mayo - Kildare 16th July TBC

must be a holding thing again :D

but connaught telegraph has it as of 12.14pm
    UNCONFIRMED reports are suggesting that Mayo's clash with Kildare in the All-Ireland SFC Qualifers will take place at Elverys MacHale Park, Castlebar, at 7 p.m. on Saturday.

As a result, the Connacht GAA Council is understood to be in the process of changing its original decision to stage the provincial final replay between Roscommon and Galway at the venue on Saturday and moving it to Sunday afternoon instead with a 3 p.m. or 3.30 p.m. throw-on.

Official confirmation of the alternations is expected shortly.

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/07/11/4123074-mayo-to-face-kildare-on-saturday-evening--reports/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Would that mean the Connaught final is not being shown on TV

• Advertisement

Just up
    Saturday July 16

Mayo v Kildare, Elverys MacHale Park, Castlebar, 7.00pm (Sky Sports)

Referee: TBC (ET if necessary)

Sunday July 17

Connacht Senior Football Championship Final replay

Galway v Roscommon, Elverys MacHale Park, Castlebar, 3.30pm.

Referee: TBC

http://www.gaa.ie/news/this-weekend-and-next-weekend-inter-county-fixture-guide/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

yop wrote: »
    Well everyone can see that logic as you have outlined above. But remember this is Prenty, the lad who put the Connacht final in Hyde when there was no seating for all the season ticket holders, the farcical mess in the Mayo V Galway game with the unreserved "oh its reserved" seating.
    The same chap who said Mayo fans always have something to whinge about when Limerick was used as semi final replay spot.
    The only thing they see is the euros.

So what ever we see as logical or problematic will be ignored. They will save on so much by having one venue and charge top dollar.

Well, looks like you were completely wrong but you had your rant at the connacht council anyway

Got the email bill for the upcoming game on Saturday, but attendance still not updated for last Saturday :rolleyes:

Oldtree wrote: »
    Got the email bill for the upcoming game on Saturday, but attendance still not updated for last Saturday :rolleyes:

Similar position here, hmmmmm.

I'm not the only one so. I just asked in the season ticket thread if anyone had been updated yet.

Well, looks like you were completely wrong but you had your rant at the connacht council anyway

The reason they couldn't have them on at the same time is that one game is Connacht Council and the other is Croke Park/GAA. So I was wrong in that, but Connacht Council are still a circus as is Prenty.

The reason they couldn't have them on at the same time is that one game is Connacht Council and the other is Croke Park/GAA. So I was wrong in that, but Connacht Council are still a circus as is Prenty.

You didnt say anything about the time, you said they would go for one venue and you also said that there would be a clash for the Kildare seniors and minors. Wrong again.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 livelife

If Mayo win on Saturday. Who might they be playing next and when will the game be on?

You didnt say anything about the time, you said they would go for one venue and you also said that there would be a clash for the Kildare seniors and minors. Wrong again.

Ah, Mr Prenty is it?

Anyway, they are clowns. Run by a clown. End of.

livelife wrote: »
    If Mayo win on Saturday. Who might they be playing next and when will the game be on?

If they win they will play losers of Dublin v Westmeath or losers of Tyrone v Donegal and it will be more than likely in Croke Park on Saturday July 30th.

• Advertisement

If they win they will play losers of Dublin v Westmeath or losers of Tyrone v Donegal and it will be more than likely in Croke Park on Saturday July 30th.

Its only at that stage the games should get to a better standard. Any of them 4 would cause the team issues. Obviously you would be hoping that WestMeath wouldn't but the other 3 would cause us serious problems.

Ah, Mr Prenty is it?

No it is not.

Who are they? The Connacht Council and the CCCC? seeing as you were wrong on both counts?

Would much prefer if home and away was the practice up to the QF's. Makes for great atmospheres and utilizes provincial grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Its only at that stage the games should get to a better standard. Any of them 4 would cause the team issues. Obviously you would be hoping that WestMeath wouldn't but the other 3 would cause us serious problems.

It's probably safe enough to assume that it's Westmeath and one of the Ulster two. We'll be praying for Westmeath if we get past Kildare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Ah, Mr Prenty is it?

Only one clown evident here from what i can see. End of. Fin. Period. Clown.

PARlance wrote: »
    It's probably safe enough to assume that it's Westmeath and one of the Ulster two. We'll be praying for Westmeath if we get past Kildare.

The absolute ideal scenario would be as follows

Beat Kildare
    Get and beat Westmeath next
    Hope Ulster losers beat Cork/Longford
    Beat Ulster champs in QF
    Then play Galway/Roscommon/Tipp/Clare/Sligo/Cavan/Derry in the SF on 21/08.

That's the only route to avoid Dublin, assuming Dublin win Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

No season ticket updated.:(

I'm not the only one so. I just asked in the season ticket thread if anyone had been updated yet.

Updated there now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Updated there now

Same as.

• Advertisement

Would I be right in saying this is the first Mayo v Kildare championship game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement