Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Second. We played waaayy back in 1935.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

glack wrote:
    Second. We played waaayy back in 1935.

Watch: Brilliant footage from Kildare and Mayo's only ever championship meeting http://the42.ie/2872490

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Glad it's not Cork away, but every match is going to have me on my toes. Can't take anything for granted.

Stoner wrote:
    Watch: Brilliant footage from Kildare and Mayo's only ever championship meeting

Look at 1:15 and 2:37

And the size of the crowd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Mayo fella diving at 1:15 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Stoner wrote: »
    Watch: Brilliant footage from Kildare and Mayo's only ever championship meeting http://the42.ie/2872490

I remember it well,they made the season ticket holders sit on the sides of the pitch,many of whom cycled home from America for the game.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

keane2097 wrote: »

Well give you a laugh for that one you looder! :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

No it is not.

Who are they? The Connacht Council and the CCCC? seeing as you were wrong on both counts?

Ya all 3 of them. All 4 in fact. Right again though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

keane2097 wrote: »

Yea, the great Mike Moriarty from Charlestown.

Both parents from Kerry :)

So it's a Kerry thing so just like AOS
    It all came out on the end.
    I think Philly uses Kerry gold.

I think Kerrydude visited ballymun back in the 1990'as , did a bit of promotional coaching.

We got there in the end lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

cocoman wrote: »
    According to the bible of Wikipedia Newbridge only has a capacity of 6200. Would it go ahead there?

I don't really mind travelling but the thought of a trip to Cork on Saturday evening isn't very appealing. It probably wouldn't be on TV either if the Connaught replay is on Saturday aswell.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Kildare at home is about the best draw we could have hoped for. We will get a game off them but home advantage once again gives that bit of a cushion. Being six points down at half-time against Fermanagh will show the players that there's no room for complacency, I doubt they will want to put themselves in that position again anytime soon, so hopefully we are sharper from the off this time, breeze or no breeze.

I would expect to see a couple of changes. I'm not sure if I'd put Barry Moran in from the start, he's a great option to bring in fresh but I'm not sure if he has the engine to last the full 70 so I'd rather have him finish the game than start. Coen is a great prospect but he's not up to the standard of an inter-county midfielder yet. I think Diarmuid O'Connor would be a better shout as he's up and down the pitch all day anyway. Vaughan has a great chance of starting too. I'd like to see us push up and press high, we done it brilliantly in the second half against Fermanagh, they couldn't get out of their own half at times. It's what we done well in the years gone by.

The qualifiers can make a team sharper and it will give Rochford an opportunity to fine tune. It's also a welcome change for the support. It's great that we've another game to look forward to on Saturday, instead of waiting weeks until we're out again and the home draw is the icing on the cake. There should be a good crowd in again, I wouldn't be surprised to see more than 12k.

I think Kerrydude visited ballymun back in the 1990'as , did a bit of promotional coaching.

We got there in the end lads.

I heard Tiernan McCann visited Dingle once as a boy. It's all coming together now.

Kildare at home is about the best draw we could have hoped for. We will get a game off them but home advantage once again gives that bit of a cushion. Being six points down at half-time against Fermanagh will show the players that there's no room for complacency, I doubt they will want to put themselves in that position again anytime soon, so hopefully we are sharper from the off this time, breeze or no breeze.

I would expect to see a couple of changes. I'm not sure if I'd put Barry Moran in from the start, he's a great option to bring in fresh but I'm not sure if he has the engine to last the full 70 so I'd rather have him finish the game than start. Coen is a great prospect but he's not up to the standard of an inter-county midfielder yet. I think Diarmuid O'Connor would be a better shout as he's up and down the pitch all day anyway. Vaughan has a great chance of starting too. I'd like to see us push up and press high, we done it brilliantly in the second half against Fermanagh, they couldn't get out of their own half at times. It's what we done well in the years gone by.

The qualifiers can make a team sharper and it will give Rochford an opportunity to fine tune. It's also a welcome change for the support. It's great that we've another game to look forward to on Saturday, instead of waiting weeks until we're out again and the home draw is the icing on the cake. There should be a good crowd in again, I wouldn't be surprised to see more than 12k.

Yes it will be very interesting to see what if any changes are made.After watching the game back it was even more obvious how badly Corrigan cleaned Brendan Harrison out... I'm not sure what in the way of options we have.
    I am firm in my opinion that Keith Higgins has to return to the corner,he is needed more there you steady the ship than to offer his undoubted pace in the forwards.

Donal Vaughan has to have a great chance to hold onto his place instead of Patrick Durkan.

Barry Moran has to be a live option to start in the middle after his significant contribution to turning the tide our way.His ability to last seventy minutes at the moment is open to question.

Other options are slotting the dynamic Diarmuid O Connor in there or Aidan O Shea.

I'm expecting that Jason Doherty will probably come back in for Alan Freeman.Alan Dillon is hardly likely to start in spite of his own excellence on Saturday.

Barry Moran could make a good case for starting but there's also a good case for keeping him as an impact sub. His fielding the last day was superb and visibly lifted the team and crowd when we needed it most. It could be useful to keep that kind of player fresh and in reserve, especially if the game is in the melting pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Just flicked through bits of the game on the player. Few things I missed from the stand that needed looking at. Enjoyable over all, was good to get a win under the belt. I maintain the first game in the qualifiers is always the toughest, you are after coming off the back of a loss and confidence can be low. Awful easy to fall to lesser teams, Longford in 2010 and Monaghan/Longofrd again last Saturday.

From what I seen we really have a lot of work to do. Was great to see Clarke back. Though his kick outs worked well for the most, bar the short one that resulted in the hop ball in the first half.

Back line looked all to ropey. Harrison is still very green and gave away several sloppy passes, even though he also had a few good clearances. Got caught badly for the goal, questionable whether he got a nudge in the back or not. Clarke had no chance. Also let his man get a soft point or two in the first half. Keane got caught ball watching once or twice again in the first half and was lucky not to get caught out. Had a crazy kick for a point in the second half from 20 yards when a pass was a better option. What ever about half backs being within 20 yards of the opposition, IMO it is no place for a full back. Caff and Barrett are a huge loss as is even Cunniffee in the Corner. We also Really missed Higgins in the corner. Think he brings an element of stability and assuredness to the back three. Bigger teams will see this as a real weak area for us. Boyler and keegan played good. Durcan had an off day, that's allowed. Thought Vaughan did ok when he came in and could well start the next day.

Coen really disappointed me. Was not at the races at all. Really sloppy pass that led directly to the goal. Had one or two clean catches at midfield but overall did not contribute much particularly going forward. SOS was good in spells but at times faded out. Came into it more as we got on top and they faded. Really felt he was missing Parsons, up until now they were a great paring. I really think the rotation of the forwards is not paying dividends. Five scores in the first half of which 2 were placed balls is very poor. All to often Higgins looked way out of his depth. He did not look so assured of his surroundings and was not comfortable laying the ball off unlike when he is coming out of defence. I really thought after 2013 the Higgins in the forward line **** was put to bed. Overall though he put a lot of ball through his hands and committed himself well and was effective.

DOC played with his usual intensity, covered every blade of the pitch very well. Took his point or two very well in the second half. COC was anonymous for large parts. I don't know if it's the captaincy, maybe it is getting too him but he Does not have the form of recent seasons. Letting Freezer take the 45 in the first half in the wind was bizarre. Bryan Sheehan wouldn't have attempted that into that wind. Evan Regan played well for parts, but supply of ball was poor for the most. All too often he was starved or got poor deliveries. Has potential though, is pacey has a good peg. Did so well to get the ball to zippy with four lads hanging off him that led to the goal. Likewise freezer was starved of possession and quality ball. All to often he was down in the half back like and midfield looking for ball. For me he is our best option at FF.

AOS did OK at times. Will not be happy with himself, he has got enough of a hammering on social media at this stage, so I won't say anything further. He Found himself isolated in the FF line at times with no help. I still believe that if you put a target man in the FF line, he needs support to pick off the breaking ball and scraps. All to often he was in there alone, e.g. The penalty incident, there was no one in there with him.

Subs mad massive impact, both big bird and Dillon. Andy got his usual selfish streak. Worrying when we have to rely on these older players to dig it out of the fire. Really though Loftus deserved a look in.

In one way I am glad we have the qualifiers because we need game time seriously badly. I am not one for body language but we did not look like a cohesive unit. All too often there was players with hands on the hips and hands on their heads after slipping tackles. This was more noticeable off camera. There was no tracking back and fighting for either the ball or each other when the play had moved further back the pitch. Watch when the goal was scored. There was no cheering or support and they did not look like a cohesive unit. Freeman gave orders to Higgins to take his position and COC ran by freeman without even a thumbs up or clap on the back. Whether the debacle last back end with the managers has caused friction in the camp we will never know, well not at least for a few years, but I just don't get a feeling that we are a strong unit compared to the last few years. Big teams will not fear us for one second, maybe the under dog title will stand to us.

Looking forward to Saturday. Hope to see a massive reaction in a few sectors. Happy with the draw. Will be good to get acquainted with Cian O Neill once again.

Credit must go to the supporters. Really turned out in force, made themselves heard and the presence on the pitch afterwards says a lot. This is bar the few flutes and bellends that were booing as the team went off at half time. no place for that sh1t in a game IMO. If you feel agitated..log on to Boards :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

No way did Higgins look out of his depth. I thought he was great throughout. He stays in the half forward line for me. His pace is still there & he's composed on the ball. Keane & Harrison have been poor but surely with a sweeper there we have to be doing better defensively. There was a serious lack of intensitity in our tackling during that spell before half time. This needs to be addressed. It's a shame Barrett is goosed for the time being as well

Didn't think Higgins looked out of his depth either. He was one of our best players the last day.

Forgot Cian O'Neill was managing them..... must bring him a snack box!

Need to look at the match again but I think Higgins did okay, McLoughs got caught out for the goal, would Higgins have?
    Clarke will hold is position for sure. Coen, Durkan and Harrison will be shaky.
    I think either Dillon or Moran (a) could get a start. They both settled the team very well and their selfish side is probably because they want a place and need to story to attain one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

yop wrote: »
    Forgot Cian O'Neill was managing them..... must bring him a snack box!

Need to look at the match again but I think Higgins did okay, McLoughs got caught out for the goal, would Higgins have?
    Clarke will hold is position for sure. Coen, Durkan and Harrison will be shaky.
    I think either Dillon or Moran (a) could get a start. They both settled the team very well and their selfish side is probably because they want a place and need to story to attain one.

Dillon and A. Moran would not be great to start, but good as impact sub's.
    The case for B. Moran to start is greater but has he a full game in him.

As I mentioned before the last game Doherty could be very handy cleaning up "dirty ball" as they call it, so you could have 2 x O Shea's in the middle, McLaughlin, Doherty and DOC in the half forward line, and then give Loftus a go in the FF line, unfortunately Freeman is still not getting it done.

I don't know what you would do if you need a corner back instead of Harrison, is there one to spare ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Dillon and A. Moran would not be great to start, but good as impact sub's.
    The case for B. Moran to start is greater but has he a full game in him.

As I mentioned before the last game Doherty could be very handy cleaning up "dirty ball" as they call it, so you could have 2 x O Shea's in the middle, McLaughlin, Doherty and DOC in the half forward line, and then give Loftus a go in the FF line, unfortunately Freeman is still not getting it done.

I don't know what you would do if you need a corner back instead of Harrison, is there one to spare ?

In fairness to Freeman the way we played in the first half didn't benefit a full forward and it ended up with with him having to come out the field to get on the ball. We only started hitting the full forward when O'Shea went in there. Id like to see him get another chance.

PressRun wrote: »
    Didn't think Higgins looked out of his depth either. He was one of our best players the last day.
    Granted Higgins played well and fought for every ball like a terrier. I think with three of our regular back four missing (Cunniffee, Barrett, Caff) and two unconvincing players in there in Harr and Keane, Higgins is needed more than ever to shore up that unit even with a sweeper. In my opinion and it's only my opinion, we have less options in defence and more in the half forward line.

Would Higgins make a decent sweeper ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Ascii wrote: »
    Granted Higgins played well and fought for every ball like a terrier. I think with three of our regular back four missing (Cunniffee, Barrett, Caff) and two unconvincing players in there in Harr and Keane, Higgins is needed more than ever to shore up that unit even with a sweeper. In my opinion and it's only my opinion, we have less options in defence and more in the half forward line.

Would Higgins make a decent sweeper ?

its my opinion and many others as well!
    Higgins can do what Kevin McL did Sunday but better as he is a DEFENDER!
    Vice versa then roe the role in the forwards!
    Higgins looked nervous every time he got the ball in hand in the forward line. He generally gave it away or ran into defenders
    Take the goal as just one example.......Higgins ball in hand ,gets flustered kicks it away. Long ball kicked in . Our sweeper is AWOL. Goal
    It just makes no sense.

Well from what I understand they will persist with this Higgins McLoughs experiment, I don't agree with it.

We are short in the backs, Cunniffe gone to the USA and injuries.

Thats a fair point about Freeman, service was poor.

km79 wrote: »
    Higgins looked nervous every time he got the ball in hand in the forward line. He generally gave it away or ran into defenders
    Take the goal as just one example.......Higgins ball in hand ,gets flustered kicks it away. Long ball kicked in . Our sweeper is AWOL. Goal
    It just makes no sense.

I just watched the second half again & Higgins was on some amount of ball. His pace making incisions & laying off to the man on his shoulder.

km79 wrote: »
    It just makes no sense.

Was it not Coen that kicked the aimless long ball that was immediately sent back into the box and then goaled.

Can someone explain the sweeper role to me. I thought the sweeper sat back there with the 6 defenders. We seemed to hold our 6-2-6 format for the most so was it not a case of Mclou was the defender with just a more roving role to bring the ball out of defence while Higg was a forward and not a sweeper system at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

I was annoyed at the game about the Higgins/McLoughlin thing but when I watched the game back I was less pessimistic about it. Higgins for sure isn't completely comfortable up in the half forward line so I would be happier for him to play back the field a bit but he got on a lot of ball and I think some of his mistakes would have happened anywhere, they were just poor decisions on his part - gave two sloppy handpasses and lost a couple of balls running into the tackle - he was far from the only culprit of that particular one though so wouldn't be fair to single him out for criticism.

McLoughlin, while caught out of position once or twice (owing to marauding runs to set up/support quick counter attacks), got on a super amount of ball and did a lot of good with it too. When he was back sweeping he took up good positions and cut out several balls to their potent full forward line. Early in the second half, he was playing around the middle of the park and won dirty ball which is the main thing we miss when he's playing front of the full back. He's the best dirty ball winner in the game when the keeper is kicking 50-50 kickouts. His judgement there is unreal so I can see why people want him back there.

But I think the difference with the 'experiment' of switching the two of them between the Galway game and this one was evident and it's improving. It's something that would have been better done in the league rather than at this stage because if we have to drop it now, the B-plan won't have been tested out at all coming to the business end (should we get through the Kildare game).

I'm interested to see if Rochford persists with it anyway. Could do with Higgins' point a game from corner back though - he never seems to get a score up in the forwards!

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    I was annoyed at the game about the Higgins/McLoughlin thing but when I watched the game back I was less pessimistic about it. Higgins for sure isn't completely comfortable up in the half forward line so I would be happier for him to play back the field a bit but he got on a lot of ball and I think some of his mistakes would have happened anywhere, they were just poor decisions on his part - gave two sloppy handpasses and lost a couple of balls running into the tackle - he was far from the only culprit of that particular one though so wouldn't be fair to single him out for criticism.

McLoughlin, while caught out of position once or twice (owing to marauding runs to set up/support quick counter attacks), got on a super amount of ball and did a lot of good with it too. When he was back sweeping he took up good positions and cut out several balls to their potent full forward line. Early in the second half, he was playing around the middle of the park and won dirty ball which is the main thing we miss when he's playing front of the full back. He's the best dirty ball winner in the game when the keeper is kicking 50-50 kickouts. His judgement there is unreal so I can see why people want him back there.

But I think the difference with the 'experiment' of switching the two of them between the Galway game and this one was evident and it's improving. It's something that would have been better done in the league rather than at this stage because if we have to drop it now, the B-plan won't have been tested out at all coming to the business end (should we get through the Kildare game).

I'm interested to see if Rochford persists with it anyway. Could do with Higgins' point a game from corner back though - he never seems to get a score up in the forwards!

I think thats down to the inability of his marker to keep pace with him, so he gains yards and is a "free man" then by the time he gets to the FF line.
    With him been a forward his marker is closer and has a chance to stop him. My take on it anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Fermanagh forced a lot of the positioning in the first half imo thus the sweeper idea not really showing and their no. 14 (+ one other) had a very quick spin round that caught us unawares more than once easily allowed him off up field.

Some lovely ball catching in mid air at full stretch by mayo and with great defending overall. Enjoyed seeing Donal Vaughn back on, I think he ads an extra dynamic to play with his versatility (but i may be biased :D).

Would also like to see 2 X OS in the front but 1 OS down back too.

Worthy of note, they looked much fitter towards the end than earlier in the year.

• Advertisement

Oldtree wrote: »
    Fermanagh forced a lot of the positioning in the first half imo thus the sweeper idea not really showing and their no. 14 (+ one other) had a very quick spin round that caught us unawares more than once easily allowed him off up field.

Some lovely ball catching in mid air at full stretch by mayo and with great defending overall. Enjoyed seeing Donal Vaughn back on, I think he ads an extra dynamic to play with his versatility (but i may be biased :D).

Worthy of note, they looked much fitter towards the end than earlier in the year.

Ah your welcome to the forum Donal...have you them Ecco's in a size ten please :-)

You must be! He loses much too much ball and gets turned over too easy!

What is OS?

They are probably still only running at 80%, the whole plan was thrown out the window and they are now doing heavy fitness sessions to get them up to speed.

If we survive next Saturday then we will be edging closer to peak timing. With game practise on top.

OS = O Shea I am guessing Yop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

OS = O Shea I am guessing Yop

2 of them in front and 1 down the back though...

Is Oldtree talking about who sits where, in the car on the way to the game? Get in the back Seamie.

Ah your welcome to the forum Donal...have you them Ecco's in a size ten please :-)

Just live in the south of the county and I like the way he dosn't give up, sets a good example, see :D

Yes OS is O'Shea, thank you Ascii ;) (didn't realise my cryptic shorthand would be so difficult Yop :P)

We need bulk at the back!

Just live in the south of the county and I like the way he dosn't give up, sets a good example, see :D

Yes OS is O'Shea, thank you Ascii ;) (didn't realise my cryptic shorthand would be so difficult Yop :P)

We need bulk at the back!

Agree his desire is 2nd to none.

Ah I'm blonde for feck sake! :) 1+1 = 11

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    Ah I'm blonde for feck sake! :) 1+1 = 11

All is forgiven so :D

clip_image010_thumb.gif?imgmax=800

Penalty saga is ‘perfect storm’ for critics of O’Shea and Mayo

Billy Joe Padden in the Mayo News,great read.

DESPITE what some people might have you believe, it’s not Aidan O’Shea’s responsibility to protect the integrity and the good name of Gaelic football. That’s the responsibility of the officials and the administrators.

Aidan O’Shea’s responsibility is to his make sure that he does whatever he can for his team, his team-mates, and Mayo.

If Aidan felt contact from the Fermanagh full-back last Saturday and went to ground, then it’s the job of the referee and the umpires to adjudicate on it.
    I personally didn’t think it was a penalty, but it was Joe McQuillan’s decision to make. His mistake.

Aidan O’Shea tried to get an advantage for his team from a defender making contact with him inside the large parallelogram.

When somebody in that area of the field makes contact with you, and you’re both travelling at pace, then there’s always the chance of a referee awarding a free out or a penalty.

The word ‘diving’ has been bandied about over the last few days in relation to the incident, but I don’t buy into that.

Things like holding an arm and going to ground, feeling a slight nudge when you’re running down a blind alley and winning a free, they are things that are generally applauded when it’s your team that are getting the benefit of the doubt.

And the reality is that they’re part and parcel of the GAA.
    To be honest, they’ve been part and parcel of it for as long as I’ve been playing. Making the most of a late hit, feeling a nudge in your back jumping for a ball and making a song and dance about it.

The likes of Aidan O’Shea, Michael Murphy and Conor McManus are dealing with being held and being fouled all the time. So when they get a chance to get some retribution, what do we expect them to do?

How frustrating must it be for them to be constantly pulled and dragged and abused?

The furore about this incident is the perfect storm for some people.
    It involves one of the highest profile footballers in the country in Aidan O’Shea, who’s also one of the biggest and strongest footballers in the game going to ground easily; and a Mayo team not playing well at the moment.
    Plus, after what happened with the Mayo management last year there are people out there who want to vilify this Mayo team at every opportunity.
    I feel very strongly about the word ‘cheat’ being used by certain pundits and analysts in relation to Aidan O’Shea and the penalty. Calling somebody a ‘cheat’ for something like this is an outrageous statement to make.
    What’s the difference between what Aidan did, and somebody winning a free out the field when they’re pushed over after bending down to pick up a ball?
    Neither of them is cheating as far as I’m concerned. Taking performance-enhancing drugs is cheating.

For the rest of the championship, Aidan O’Shea needs to be ready for two things. Firstly, starting next weekend, he’s going to get plenty of abuse from opponents about what’s happened. And he’s going to have to deal with that.
    Plus, he’s going to get a backlash from referees.

They’re human and they’re going to think twice about every single decision involving Aidan for the rest of the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Pure comedy gold.

He's writing for the Mayo News. What else is he going to say, summon the firing squad?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

statto25 wrote: »
    In fairness to Freeman the way we played in the first half didn't benefit a full forward and it ended up with with him having to come out the field to get on the ball. We only started hitting the full forward when O'Shea went in there. Id like to see him get another chance.

TBH I think Alan Freeman has had an awful lot of chances already.I'd be inclined to agree with Father Tod's commentary and give Conor Loftus an opportunity inside.

TBF to Donal Vaughan and Oldtree :D he made a difference when introduced...Paddy Durkan will be under pressure after two below par outings by his high standards.What's the story with Shane Nally?

seligehgit wrote: »
    TBH I think Alan Freeman has had an awful lot of chances already.I'd be inclined to agree with Father Tod's commentary and give Conor Loftus an opportunity inside.

TBF to Donal Vaughan and Oldtree :D he made a difference when introduced...Paddy Durkan will be under pressure after two below par outings by his high standards.What's the story with Shane Nally?

I think freeman can do the work and cause trouble once he gets the supply of ball. To be fair the supply of ball was so bad in there the last day and marquee forward would have struggled to make hay.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »

I sometimes feel that Alan Freeman, while capable of kicking a nice score, doesn't seem as willing to do as much donkey work as others. If Loftus is fit, I'd give him a go next time.

I saw that Chris Barrett is back doing some training and Eoin O'Donoghue has been called up from the U21s. Barrett anyway should give us another option in the back so long as he stays fit.

I think Donal Vaughan will get Paddy Durkan's spot next time. Not sure about Barry Moran. Stephen Coen struggled at midfield last weekend (though it could probably be argued that there are better positions for him), so Barry Moran might get the start. Still think he could be better utilized as an impact sub though.

seligehgit wrote:
    TBF to Donal Vaughan and Oldtree he made a difference when introduced...Paddy Durkan will be under pressure after two below par outings by his high standards.What's the story with Shane Nally?

I think Vaughan is a decent footballer has a bit of craft about him. I don't know Durkan the way you do but he has not been fantastic when I saw him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Pure comedy gold.

He's writing for the Mayo News. What else is he going to say, summon the firing squad?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

With the way some people are reacting, you'd think Aiden tried to gouge out someone's eyes.

PressRun wrote: »
    I sometimes feel that Alan Freeman, while capable of kicking a nice score, doesn't seem as willing to do as much donkey work as others. If Loftus is fit, I'd give him a go next time.

I saw that Chris Barrett is back doing some training and Eoin O'Donoghue has been called up from the U21s. Barrett anyway should give us another option in the back so long as he stays fit.

I think Donal Vaughan will get Paddy Durkan's spot next time. Not sure about Barry Moran. Stephen Coen struggled at midfield last weekend (though it could probably be argued that there are better positions for him), so Barry Moran might get the start. Still think he could be better utilized as an impact sub though.

I think it's a positive move that they are calling up Eoin O Donoghue up,there is a recognition that all is not well in the full back line.Although bringing back Keith Higgins into the full back line would be the preferred option(or let him operate in the sweeper role).A role we have not as yet perfected.Barry Moran did a decent job in the role last year v Donegal,albeit against a big man threat Michael Murphy.

Re Alan Freeman,both at the game and on watch back he appeared like a rabbit in headlights,reluctant to gain possession of the ball whilst in open space(rare occasions).Not demanding of the ball like a marquee forward would,he turned the ball over frequently and as has been stated previously again did'nt impose himself physically for a big man.TBF maybe it's a lack of game time and poor service delivery but hey carpe diem...

I don't imagine Stephen Coen will start the next day,whither Barry Moran starts the next day will be dependent on whither he has a good sixty minutes or more in his legs/they decide to start Aidan O Shea in midfield.

I don't know if O'Donoghue will get any game time this year, tbh, or if they're just easing him into the fold now with the intention of properly blooding him next year.

I don't know how shaky or not the full-back line is (I'd be more concerned about the lack of scores from the forwards honestly), but it's just a concern that we're down to the bare bones of the squad in those positions. If Kevin Keane were to get injured or black-carded, what are our options there? It's good to see Barrett starting to make some kind of comeback anyway.

I saw O'Donoghue knocking around with Parsons on Sunday alright before the game, was a bit shocked to see him kitted out. Great stuff though. Not sure how he would cope physically but no harm to get him in around the squad training and see if he can be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

€15 was deducted from the account there! Thankfully it's not a double header with the Connacht Final. I wouldn't have been too happy paying extra for that :pac:

€15 was deducted from the account there! Thankfully it's not a double header with the Connacht Final. I wouldn't have been too happy paying extra for that :pac:

Bad enough paying to see the fecken Rossies when we are playing them but paying and us not playing them....different story :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭puma90

Can u sit anywhere the day of the match???

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement