Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

puma90 wrote: »
    Can u sit anywhere the day of the match???

Ya,seating is unreserved.Prob want to be there early enough (before 6.30) to get a decent seat though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

puma90 wrote: »
    Can u sit anywhere the day of the match???

Yes but not on the pitch

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Late to the show here as due to being away I only got to watch the full game today! I don't think it was a bad bounce back by the lads from the poor performance against Galway. Of course we went in 6 points down at half time, but for 30 minutes in the first half we held them to 1-5 with them having a huge wind, I know they then proceeded to hit 5 points between the 30th and 35th minute but as a whole I wasn't terribly disappointed with the first half considering the big breeze in Fermanagh's favour (I also think a lot in this thread have underestimated Fermanagh who showed last year they are a decent side, getting to the Quarter Finals and giving Dublin a decent game).

As for the second half, I think it was plain to see within 2-3 minutes that Mayo were going to win the game, we came out with a lot more fire and pace to our play and actually played some nice stuff and were deserving winners. A lot has been made of us getting a soft penalty but lets be honest there was only one winner at that stage of the game, Fermanagh were dead, gone, being completely and utterly dominated in the middle of the park.

It was great to see Diarmuid O' Connor back and playing well, he has become an important player for us. Both O' Sheas had better games than against Galway and I think Aidan actually did quite well but his performance has been overshadowed by his act that won us the penalty. Seeing Lee Keegan getting up to kick two trademark points was fantastic to see also.

All in all a good day out and a good win versus a tough opponent who would have known they were playing us at a time when we were maybe at our most vulnerable since 2010. I would expect improvements next Saturday against Kildare and hopefully in further games should we win that.

Interestingly taking a different route to the latter stages of competition may actually be something this group could benefit from, almost getting freshened up by going a different way and facing different challenges at different times. This qualifying campaign is a great chance for this team to actually grow and improve. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭puma90

km79 wrote: »
    Yes but not on the pitch

:D
    Aww damn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Anyone feel Kildare will have a big game in them for this? I'd like (and expect) to see more improvement from Mayo for this match, but I still feel that Kildare might be dodgy enough. Might be just the cut-throat nature of the qualifiers putting me on edge and making me see banana skins everywhere, but this could be a close one! Don't imagine we'll get a whole lot in the way of frees after all the whinging this week, so the ff line are going to have to up their game considerably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Pure comedy gold.

He's writing for the Mayo News. What else is he going to say, summon the firing squad?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Is he the same guy that ran off and played with Armagh a few years back when he saw the opportunity of a soft medal.??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Rawhead wrote: »
    With the way some people are reacting, you'd think Aiden tried to gouge out someone's eyes.

If he thought it would gain him extra publicity and his photo on the front page of the sports section he probably would.!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

washman3 wrote: »
    If he thought it would gain him extra publicity and his photo on the front page of the sports section he probably would.!!

Don't remember this getting much coverage in any sports sections,

13600303_1045619525527703_8984342244586988948_n.jpg?oh=a697a35eea2a21cd9564218041424d49&oe=5836C75E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Don't remember this getting much coverage in any sports sections,

13600303_1045619525527703_8984342244586988948_n.jpg?oh=a697a35eea2a21cd9564218041424d49&oe=5836C75E

maybe cause he did not dive that time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Is he the same guy that ran off and played with Armagh a few years back when he saw the opportunity of a soft medal.??

You obviously don't know much about gaelic football. He was and is living and working in Armagh...not exactly an easy place to get to and from if you want to be training in Mayo on a Tuesday evening :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

No he did not run off up to Armagh for the reason you suggest/insinuate.Billy Joe Padden was coming to the end of a distinguished service in the green and red.He was teaching/living up that part of the country and had been making the long commute down here to training for several years if I recall correctly.

I believe his now wife is from Armagh if I'm not mistaken and it is not the shock of the century that family commitments might have influenced his decision to tog out albeit very briefly for the Orchard county,I'm not even sure there was a soft medal of an variety to be had in a transfer to Armagh at that point in time post the era of the great Armagh team of the late 90s/post the 2003 final loss to Tyrone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

Mayo Vs. Kildare.

Live on Sky Sports.

Now you know what you're paying your GAA club membership for.

Kildare could be difficult opponents, there are some good footballers in that team and some brilliant athletes and it wasn't long ago at all that they would have been considered to be in the top 6-7 sides in the country. They will be waiting in the long grass, remember it was only last year that they caused a shock of sorts by comfortably knocking out a Cork side who had just drawn the Munster final with Kerry.

Mayo will probably need to up the performance if we are to go to the next round, especially in terms of our forward play, shot selection and shot accuracy. I doubt that complacency will be a problem after the games against Galway and Fermanagh. I'd be expecting another 4-5 point victory, but only if we improve our performance levels by 5-10%, if not then we are in for a close one.

Regarding team selection, I would like to see Keith Higgins at corner back but I am resigned to the fact that wont be happening unless there are injuries in the full back line. I hope Harrison and Keane can continue to be solid (considering that it was Boyle that was on Quigley when he scored Fermanagh's goal and that although Galway beat us they didnt shoot the lights out then both can be pleased with their contributions in both games.) I think Donal Vaughan has a case to play after impressing on Saturday after replacing Durcan. And also similar can be said of Barry Moran who did well after replacing Coen who only got one touch of the ball in the second half v Fermanagh. Up front I'd like to see Loftus given a chance if fit.

Hoping for a better performance from Cillian O' Connor too, I hope the pressure of captaincy isn't bogging him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Green Tae wrote: »
    Mayo Vs. Kildare.

Live on Sky Sports.

Now you know what you're paying your GAA club membership for.

Is it not good that the game is being shown on TV for people who might not be able to make it? My club membership covers a great many things. I doubt much of it goes to Sky tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Kildare could be difficult opponents, there are some good footballers in that team and some brilliant athletes and it wasn't long ago at all that they would have been considered to be in the top 6-7 sides in the country. They will be waiting in the long grass, remember it was only last year that they caused a shock of sorts by comfortably knocking out a Cork side who had just drawn the Munster final with Kerry.

Mayo will probably need to up the performance if we are to go to the next round, especially in terms of our forward play, shot selection and shot accuracy. I doubt that complacency will be a problem after the games against Galway and Fermanagh. I'd be expecting another 4-5 point victory, but only if we improve our performance levels by 5-10%, if not then we are in for a close one.

Regarding team selection, I would like to see Keith Higgins at corner back but I am resigned to the fact that wont be happening unless there are injuries in the full back line. I hope Harrison and Keane can continue to be solid (considering that it was Boyle that was on Quigley when he scored Fermanagh's goal and that although Galway beat us they didnt shoot the lights out then both can be pleased with their contributions in both games.) I think Donal Vaughan has a case to play after impressing on Saturday after replacing Durcan. And also similar can be said of Barry Moran who did well after replacing Coen who only got one touch of the ball in the second half v Fermanagh. Up front I'd like to see Loftus given a chance if fit.

Hoping for a better performance from Cillian O' Connor too, I hope the pressure of captaincy isn't bogging him down.

The problem with Kildare is that they followed up that win over Cork with a 20+ point loss to Kerry, their second 20+ loss in as many months.

You really don't know what you are getting with them.

Mayo playing their traditional strong high pressure game should really have few problems with them.

• Advertisement

The problem with Kildare is that they followed up that win over Cork with a 20+ point loss to Kerry, their second 20+ loss in as many months.

You really don't know what you are getting with them.

Mayo playing their traditional strong high pressure game should really have few problems with them.

Indeed they did but they certainly have the ability to pull off a win on any given day, a bit like Mayo about 10 years ago I would say.. there was always a big game in us every year and we could always shock someone but not quite build on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Question for people: Where is the best place to park before the game on Saturday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

So maybe he could publicise his glorified meals on wheels company a bit more is it?
    Oh no wait...

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Question for people: Where is the best place to park before the game on Saturday?

Depends on where your heading to afterwards really. Sorry for being vague but the town can become congested at certain points after games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

MoyVilla9 wrote: »

Guessing your coming from Ballina direction?
    If so, you could come in the Pontoon Road, take a left at the Sacred Heart (onto Turlough Rd), the next right and an immediate left into Rowan Drive. There's some parking down the end but you should give yourself time.

You just walk through the playground, up the hill past Davit College / Lidl and then across to McHale Park.

You're avoiding town traffic and it's a short enough walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 livelife

I have 2 extra tickets for Mayo v Kildare. Will sell both for 30 euro

statto25 wrote: »
    Is it not good that the game is being shown on TV for people who might not be able to make it? My club membership covers a great many things. I doubt much of it goes to Sky tbh.

Right, and whose TV would that be?

Lengthy details and related priveleges associated with said club membership... yes...

yes...

Of course irony would never be wasted on a Mayo man.

God help us and all that.

Right, and whose TV would that be?

Lengthy details and related priveleges associated with said club membership... yes...

yes...

Of course irony would never be wasted on a Mayo man.

God help us and all that.

Well not yours obviously. Come on over to mine if ya want. I'll make ya a cup of Green Tae and we can have a chat about the sinister rendezvous between the GAA and Sky Sports.

Well not yours obviously. Come on over to mine if ya want. I'll make ya a cup of Green Tae and we can have a chat about the sinister rendezvous between the GAA and Sky Sports.

I'm not into your sister.

Don't worry she's away for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

I'll take the sister
    What are we rowing about anyway

naughto wrote: »
    I'll take the sister
    What are we rowing about anyway

Jaysus I don't even have a sister!
    Dunno.... Sky and the GAA I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

What's this I hear about your sister having a spare bed Saturday night?

What's this I hear about your sister having a spare bed Saturday night?

Youre too late... Naughto called her already I'm afraid. If ya visit Coxs in Castlebar after the match though your sure to pickup a woman!

Youre too late... Naughto called her already I'm afraid. If ya visit Coxs in Castlebar after the match though your sure to pickup a woman!

You'd pick up more than that in there :D

• Advertisement

You'd pick up more than that in there :D

Ha! "Coxs..... Where women with a past meet men with no future"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

None of that auld carry on in Mick Byrne`s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Aptly named pub!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Will get a team sheet tonight do ye think ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ascii wrote: »
    Will get a team sheet tonight do ye think ??

I'd be guessing tomorrow night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

seligehgit wrote: »
    I'd be guessing tomorrow night?

Thought it would be tonight after training, but looking back it was Friday last week when it was released....Don't even know why I am asking, shur you couldn't believe what names they serve up.

I am gonna go with the same as last week with the exception of Doherty coming in for Freezer.
    These games week on week are good....hopefully they will build some momentum with the team. You always here the pro's in soccer and rugby saying that games week in and week out are great.

It's also keeping this forum busy so it is :-) unlike the Monaghan thread.

Team named tomorrow according to the Mayo Gaa blog.

I'd like to see

Clarke
    Harrison
    Keane
    Higgins
    Keegan
    Boyle
    Vaughan
    O' Shea
    O' Shea
    McLaughlin
    Doherty
    D. O'Connor
    Regan
    C. O'Connor
    Loftus

Barry Moran then comes in for AOS in the first minute when he gets a black card for going down too easy after being hit by small arms fire from the Kildare bench.

Mayo's management team unveil their game-changing new tactic for the big match against Kildare, built around Breaffy power-house Aiden O'Shea:

aidan-o-se-n.jpg

"This is my ball and I'm never ever, ever going to let it go...

Oh yoo want the ball do yoo? Why would I pass to yoo? Yoor name isn't Aidenz O'Shea... moyne iz and dis is my ball!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Comedy has really hit new heights in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

PressRun wrote: »
    Comedy has really hit new heights in recent times.

I struggled reading it tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Mayo's management team unveil their game-changing new tactic for the big match against Kildare, built around Breaffy power-house Aiden O'Shea:

aidan-o-se-n.jpg

"This is my ball and I'm never ever, ever going to let it go...

Oh yoo want the ball do yoo? Why would I pass to yoo? Yoor name isn't Aidenz O'Shea... moyne iz and dis is my ball!"

Is there going to be a punchline or...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I hope Freeman gets another crack as that was his first game in a while. He can really cause problems when he is on his game. The problem is that he is not at the top of his game alot these day but I would give him another crack

I would be incline to start vaughan(for durcan) as well after the last day, other wise the same team for me and please keep O'shea in FF and drop those diagonal balls into him. We are most dangerous when we can get it into him with fast ball. We mess around with the ball to much.... hand passing from side to side and this slows the whole game down.

After the last day, they view AOS as the last resort in FF when the pressure comes on.

I wonder how parson's is. He really is so important to us

An better overall performance like the second half would be ideal and set us up for the final game before the 1/4.

We should really be killing off Kildare if we have any notions of doing something special

I'd go with:

Clarke

Harrison Keane Vaughan
    Keegan McLoughlin Boyle

SOS Diarmuid

Higgins AOS Doherty
    Cillian Freeman Regan

Vaughan would probably move to half back and McLoughlin to go stay back like the last day. Diarmuid at midfield would be a better option than Coen. I'd also leave Freeman in at 14 with orders to stay there. AOS could be moved further forward and drop back into midfield if needed. Doherty and Freeman really need to raise their hand for a starting place.
    Andy, Barry Moran, Coen, Dillon and P.Durcan are all solid options to bring off the bench.

Overall we're a little short at corner back/fullback and at midfield. If we get past Kildare, the return of Barrett and Parsons would be a serious boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I'd go with:

Clarke

Harrison Keane Vaughan
    Keegan McLoughlin Boyle

SOS Diarmuid

Higgins AOS Doherty
    Cillian Freeman Regan

Vaughan would probably move to half back and McLoughlin to go stay back like the last day. Diarmuid at midfield would be a better option than Coen. I'd also leave Freeman in at 14 with orders to stay there. AOS could be moved further forward and drop back into midfield if needed. Doherty and Freeman really need to raise their hand for a starting place.
    Andy, Barry Moran, Coen, Dillon and P.Durcan are all solid options to bring off the bench.

Overall we're a little short at corner back/fullback and at midfield. If we get past Kildare, the return of Barrett and Parsons would be a serious boost.
    Unless Diarmuid O'Connor is injured there's no way I'd leave him on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Blackjack wrote: »
    Unless Diarmuid O'Connor is injured there's no way I'd leave him on the bench.

He has him in midfield.

1. David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)
    2. Brendan Harrison (Aghamore)
    3. Kevin Keane (Westport)
    4. Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)
    5. Lee Keegan (Westport)
    6. Colm Boyle (Davitts)
    7. Patrick Durcan (Castlebar Mitchels)
    8. Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy)
    9. Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe)
    10. Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)
    11. Aidan O’Shea (Breaffy)
    12. Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber)
    13. Evan Regan (Ballina Stephenites)
    14. Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen)
    15. Cillian O’Connor (Ballintubber, captain).

Vaughan starting midfield and Andy Moran up front... Lord above.

5. Lee Keegan (Westport)
    6. Colm Boyle (Davitts)

Loard above is right.

If that team is not going to start why name it I'd the first place, who is he trying to fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

martyos121 wrote: »
    He has him in midfield.

Wouldn't have looked for him there in the traditional sense.
    I stand corrected all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

5. Lee Keegan (Westport)
    6. Colm Boyle (Davitts)

Is SR playing mind games already!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement