Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Not a fan of that team, but let's be real, there'll be a change or two on the day. I think Vaughan will drop to number 7 and Durcan will be replaced by B. Moran who'll go straight into midfield, if they think he has 50 minutes in him at least. Coen should go in otherwise, and I'd hope to see Loftus come in for A. Moran too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Perplexing having Andy starting,great man to come on with twenty minutes to go and the game in the melting pot.Donal Vaughan starting at midfield,you're having a laugh.There must be some shadow boxing going on,can't understand why they don't simply name the starting team...I'd be concerned if the team is lining out as named.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Well, it's not going to start like that, more than likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

PressRun wrote: »
    Well, it's not going to start like that, more than likely.

I don't think it will either. Vaughan has been tried midfield before and it didn't work out. Andy's best role probably is impact sub but he has been in serious form for club recently, wouldn't be against starting him tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

statto25 wrote:
    1. David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites) 2. Brendan Harrison (Aghamore) 3. Kevin Keane (Westport) 4. Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis) 5. Lee Keegan (Westport) 6. Colm Boyle (Davitts) 7. Patrick Durcan (Castlebar Mitchels) 8. Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy) 9. Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe) 10. Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore) 11. Aidan O’Shea (Breaffy) 12. Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber) 13. Evan Regan (Ballina Stephenites) 14. Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen) 15. Cillian O’Connor (Ballintubber, captain).

statto25 wrote:
    1. David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites) 2. Brendan Harrison (Aghamore) 3. Kevin Keane (Westport) 4. Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis) 5. Lee Keegan (Westport) 6. Colm Boyle (Davitts) 7. Patrick Durcan (Castlebar Mitchels) 8. Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy) 9. Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe) 10. Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore) 11. Aidan O’Shea (Breaffy) 12. Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber) 13. Evan Regan (Ballina Stephenites) 14. Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen) 15. Cillian O’Connor (Ballintubber, captain).

If we do start like that then Aidan will be midfield I'm assuming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

If we do start like that then Aidan will be midfield I'm assuming?

If Aidan is midfield then where will Vaughan play? That team won't start. As the others have said Barry should come in for Vaughan or maybe Paddy Durcan dropping out and Vaughan going into that line. Hopefully Freezer for Moran which isn't a popular one here but I think if we play a game where we bring the FF in though decent balls and passes, he will do well. If he doesn't then I won't beat that drum again.

Tomorrow,Saturday or should I now say today will be mostly dry with a mixture of cloudy periods and bright or sunny spells.It will be a cooler day(than Friday) with highs of 15 to 19 degrees in mostly moderate westerly winds.

Nothing on the evening thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

seligehgit wrote: »
    Tomorrow,Saturday or should I now say today will be mostly dry with a mixture of cloudy periods and bright or sunny spells.It will be a cooler day(than Friday) with highs of 15 to 19 degrees in mostly moderate westerly winds.

Nothing on the evening thus far.

Looks like a good evening for football. Should be dry with a real gentle breeze. All in all I am gonna base this evenings performance on whether we have any hope of getting into the last four or two come September. Basing this on a few things
    1. Playing a game at home in what looks like ideal weather conditions
    2. Playing a division two team who have failed to flatter in recent years.
    3. Having the monkey off our back which is the loss against Galway and the first round of the qualifiers (which I think is always a tough game) behind us.
    4. Playing our third championship game in probably 4 weeks, something we have not done for some time so we should have that intensity.

The only thing going against us slightly is the three injuries to Caff, Barrett and most importantly Parsons.

Overall I would love to see a error free game. Great distribution of scores takers, and most importantly a ruthless performance. Really think we should have them well closed out by the 50th minute and to go on and win by a minimum of 10 points if we want to be considered as all Ireland contenders. Big performance required in my opinion from our six forwards particularly COC and Regan.

Can't fricken wait all the same. Seven bells can't come quick enough.

Beautiful day here,bit of a breeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Can only see one winner here (Mayo) and going through the qualifiers will suit Mayo this year I believe however confidence in the squad seems to have hit a dip. If this was Kildare under McGeaney in the peak years I would expect a close contest but I think Mayo will figure Kildare out after about 25-30 minutes of the game and have it wrapped up by the 40th.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Mayo would want to start showing some improvement today .

Is Rochford's method beginning to work . Does he know his best plans and his best team yet ?

One thing about the qualifiers is that the plans and team selection are put to a real test and the managers tactical adaptability is also tested.

One thing for sure is that we cannot let the better teams be going in 6 points ahead at half time . How often are we going to make up that kind of a deficit against better teams .

I hope for victory to keep the sporting summer interesting , I am not greedy one win at a time will do me (wink).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Looking forward to this evening again
    The extra games are nice !
    And hopefully we will see more of the second half performance from last week
    Written off by absolutely everyone at this stage.....lets just keep ticking along ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

blackbelt wrote: »
    Can only see one winner here (Mayo) and going through the qualifiers will suit Mayo this year I believe however confidence in the squad seems to have hit a dip. If this was Kildare under McGeaney in the peak years I would expect a close contest but I think Mayo will figure Kildare out after about 25-30 minutes of the game and have it wrapped up by the 40th.

Kildare should not pose a problem, they are no better than Fermanagh.

Mayo's real test will come next time if they face the Ulster losers or if Westmeath beat Dublin, and again in the QF v Ulster champ or Dublin if they win Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Beautiful day here,bit of a breeze.

You're there nice and early!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

Is there going to be a punchline or...?

No, it's an actual tactic.

No, really.

The team is starting as selected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

The team is starting as selected.

The Sky Sports curse strikes again...

Breeze is blowing the exact same direction as last week..only a little lighter... Grand evening for football. Was sure the team would have changed slightly. Big game required from Andy. Can't wait for throw in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Doing well at the moment. Got a bit out of shape there for a while and allowed Kildare to get into the game, but some great delivery into the forwards has yielded some Great scores. It's that delivery that's been sadly lacking year to date. Kildare had been bossing the kickouts, but we have improved on this. Hoping for more of the same in the second half.

• Advertisement

Evan Regan has that defender absolutely terrorised, could be a massive tally for him if they keep him on for the 70, an All Star performance in that first half, but not sure of the quality of the man he's up against.

Diarmuid looking absolutely top class as well, good to see him fully fit again.

Evidence in the 1st half of why AOS felt the need for the dramatics in the biz the last day. Refs don't help themselves by not giving penalties to players who are clearly fouled but stay in their feet ........usually a free out given eventually

Keith Higgins looks absolutely lost again

Higgins could make a half decent defender some day.

PARlance wrote: »
    Higgins could make a half decent defender some day.

Ah he's a bit long in the tooth to be changing now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

using the worlds worst stream to watch this and i feel liking fooking the comp out the window.

• Advertisement

kupus wrote: »
    using the worlds worst stream to watch this and i feel liking fooking the comp out the window.

That could just be the match rather than the stream. Another win but we're not getting much in terms of hope.

That could just be the match rather than the stream. Another win but we're not getting much in terms of hope.

I don't know, I thought we did OK. Kildare were trying shots from
    Distance much more so than ourselves which is why they had as many shots as us but less scores.
    Clearly need Parsons back to shore up midfield.

I would not be that pessimistic.

They fell asleep in the middle of the second half fair enough but Doherty chipped in with a few important points near the end.

Kildare never got within 7 of them, great scores from the forwards in the first half and some great defending in the second.
    2 -17 is a big score.

Got cleaned out in midfield fair enough, but a lot of changes around there.

Sky reported that Keane had I've on his shoulder after coming off.

While its fresh in my head.
    Regan and D O Connor obviously had great games

But I also thought A Moran was very good as were Harrison and Durcan.

Not sure about the sub's, Coen for Keane with AOS going to full back ?
    Doherty for Harrison ?
    Who came on for Boyle ?

I would not be that pessimistic.

They fell asleep in the middle of the second half fair enough but Doherty chipped in with a few important points near the end.

Kildare never got within 7 of them, great scores from the forwards in the first half and some great defending in the second.
    2 -17 is a big score.

Got cleaned out in midfield fair enough, but a lot of changes around there.

Sky reported that Keane had I've on his shoulder after coming off.

I'm very pessimistic, I'm afraid. Some great individual performances but it'll take more than 3-4 players to get past the beaten Ulster finalists. A game against Westmeath is badly needed. That was a very poor Kildare team and they made us look pretty poor for 20 mins of the second half.

The score was impressive in fairness but it says more about Kildare than Mayo imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Doherty for Harrison ?
    Who came on for Boyle ?

Barry Moran. Strange substitutions indeed.

Doherty for Harrison ?
    Who came on for Boyle ?

B Moran came on for Boyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Diarmuid O'Connor is an absolute gem. That is all I have to say right now.

PressRun wrote: »
    Diarmuid O'Connor is an absolute gem. That is all I have to say right now.

Same as,check in tomorrow.Few celebratory drinks are a calling!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭cjmc11

Good win in the end, game was practically over at half time, was disappointed they didn't drive on in the second half and put it beyond doubt,
    Midfield was poor, especially from kick outs.
    Rochford should make the big call and put AOS on the bench for the next game, he's not fit enough for championship football, had feck all influence on the game today. DOC motm, hope to god we get westmeath in the draw, we're definitely not ready for Donegal or Tyrone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

cjmc11 wrote: »
    Good win in the end, game was practically over at half time, was disappointed they didn't drive on in the second half and put it beyond doubt,
    Rochford should make the big call and put AOS on the bench for the next game, he's not fit enough for championship football, had feck all influence on the game today. DOC motm, hope to god we get westmeath in the draw, we're definitely not ready for Donegal or Tyrone.
    Are you off your rocker re AOS ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭coniosumadre

Needles73 wrote: »
    Are you off your rocker re AOS ?
    Hes fat and unfit and has scored one point in two games? Hardly an unrealistic call to drop him.

I must have been watching a different game to you.

Blackjack wrote: »
    I must have been watching a different game to you.

And me
    Crazy
    He was very good first half and played FULL BACK when his team needed him !
    And IF he was fat and unfit benching him would hardly help would it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Hes fat and unfit and has scored one point in two games? Hardly an unrealistic call to drop him.

Not sure what games you were watching. A vital cog in this team is Aido.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

AOS is needed at midfield and should be placed there next time due to the other midfielders being injured (perhaps long term injuries in some cases).To be fair to Aiden he moved allround the place tonight and deserved some credit.Andy Moran was a gem with his distribution and really was worth his starting place.A Higgins should be moved back,McLoughlin was much improved there tonight but realistically is better further up,as is Higgins further back.Patrick Durkan shone tonight after his very untypical performance last week.We are not ready yet for a BIG team so may be better off with Westmeath (then again they might beat Dublin tomorrow!).Tyrone will beat Donegal and there may be one sting left in the losing Ulster finalists after tomorrow,it would be better for us to avoid this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

km79 wrote: »
    And me
    Crazy
    He was very good first half and played FULL BACK when his team needed him !
    And IF he was fat and unfit benching him would hardly help would it :D

Disagree regarding AOS first half performance. Flagged him on 4 or 5 occasions where he lost the ball from either wayward hand passing or being dispossesed. I'd be concerned about his form this year at the minute. Not sure Rochford is sure where his most effective position on the pitch is either mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

A win is a win.
    Kildare are well below the standards needed to compete at the levels of the top 4 or 5 .
    I'm struggling again as to where to fit Donal into the team . It was cry g out for big Barry to steady the mid field from very early on .
    So far at different times in different matches we have got snippets of good performances from a lot of the players but none at the same time in numbers that would trouble provential winners . So hopefully the next round will bed us in more .
    Not as pessimistic as I was 3 weeks ago .
    Aiden was slow to track back In The first half but had a good second half . Cillian is just a tad off on pace still.

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Barry Moran. Strange substitutions indeed.

Boyler was black carded for pulling down in the box. In fairness Barry had warmed up to come on at that stage. He would have been comin on for DONAL only for the card to colm

If you drop AOS then give me the line up without him ?

Problem for Mayo is that they ate not flush with guys to afford to drop someone like O Shea.

On who they get next, Westmeath makes a lot of sense as it means you are more likely to avoid Dublin and if you win your QF (v Ulster champ) you get to play Connacht or the weaker A side of the draw.

But to be honest this team should not fear Tyreor Donegal in a Round 4, Tyrone are possibly the most overrated team in the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

AOS certainly isn't the problem, thought he did alright tonight. However Cillian O'Connor has been poor in all 3 matches now & ultimately this is our big problem at the moment, too many of our best players are just out of form. Hopefully Croke Park in a fortnight will bring them on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Barlett wrote:
    AOS certainly isn't the problem, thought he did alright tonight. However Cillian O'Connor has been poor in all 3 matches now & ultimately this is our big problem at the moment, too many of our best players are just out of form. Hopefully Croke Park in a fortnight will bring them on

I'd agree Cillian has not been great. His brother is flying though and Regan is playing well in some games. That's the benefit if have a couple of extra forwards, you can carry the bad game.

It's a funny thing with Mayo . When there is an issue at fullback , management stick a midfielder there, it's like as if the positions are interchangeable. Keane, B Moran (often talked about as a fullback) and now AOS and I think at one stage SOS was thrown in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Stoner wrote: »
    I'd agree Cillian has not been great. His brother is flying though and Regan is playing well in some games. That's the benefit if have a couple of extra forwards, you can carry the bad game.

It's a funny thing with Mayo . When there is an issue at fullback , management stick a midfielder there, it's like as if the positions are interchangeable. Keane, B Moran (often talked about as a fullback) and now AOS and I think at one stage SOS was thrown in there too.

I think it might be a good move to put AOS back there if Keane is out.
    It would give us a bit of presence under a high ball and he would be facing the play all the time helping him with decision making.

Stoner wrote: »

Yes very handy to have others playing well if Cillian is not.

As for AOS at full back and interchangeable players, it might be ok v Kildare but may be a disaster v a better team.

A bit like using a band aid for a chainsaw wound.

• Advertisement

Panrich wrote: »
    I think it might be a good move to put AOS back there if Keane is out.
    It would give us a bit of presence under a high ball and he would be facing the play all the time helping him with decision making.

Aidan O Shea lacks the mobility to make a top class full back,the Bernard Brogans of this world would run him ragged.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement