Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Just sitting down sit down to watch it again. A lot of drink consumed in between the match and now but before seeing it on TV:

1. Management were poor. While they may have gotten it right against Donegal, what's to say it wasn't the players just getting it right. Giving short kick outs away is ok if it's effective but it clearly wasn't. The free man receiving the kick was pressurised straight away, leaving another free man inside him, leaving Dublin with a clear run up to the 45 nearly every time. It's up to the management to get the best of out AO'S... he was completely wasted.

2. While we've got a great bunch of players, we are clearly 2 scoring forwards short of a serious team. Our scores were laboured, Dublin's came from the added bit of class.

3. We didn't know what to do when we went ahead. You can't train people to make the right decisions under pressure. Keegan kicking it into Cluxton's hands sums up all that we're missing. Robbie being rushed into taking the kick out just before the first goal another shocking example. He was tying his laces as the point went over, he was then told to hurry on so ran up to take the kick, slipped as kicking, he still hadn't his glove on by the time the ball was in the back of the net. What was going to happen if he took his time and composed himself...
    Same old story with stupid high floating balls in, didn't work in the first game and didn't work yesterday.

4. There doesn't seem to be any gears between slow build ups (which worked fairly well) and all out crazy in the last 10 of first match. We didn't know what to do with the lead and open space as Dublin pushed on.

5. F*ck it. Dublin are a better team. They toyed with us when they went ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'd say you need another forward, which you probably do, to win an AI

But that's assuming the rest of the side will be able to keep up the level they've been at for the last five years or close to it and slot this new superstar (a returned Pearse Hanley?) in. Okay, none of the key players are 'too old' as such, but neither are Rafa Nadal and Wayne Rooney...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

No idea. We were bossing the game up to then and looked comfortable. Off he comes and Dublin start bossing the middle. I think he was taken off just before the botched Hennelly kickout. We lost our main outlet at midfield. Fair enough if he was injured though he wasn't limping and hadn't been treated. And why not bring back AOS to midfield to give a presence. In a catalog of poor substitutions in the last 5 years that was one of the worst. Clueless management once again. Its the curse of poor management.

AOS was in midfield. He was supposed to be following Fenton for the Dublin goal. Similar to McMahons open goal chance in the first half. Nothing to do with sweepers he just wouldn't or couldn't follow his man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

deeeeeeeeepressed
    feels further away than ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Brusna

I thought we didn't recover from last week as good as Dublin.

Some are saying SO'S black card was the turning point, I don't agree, Andy came on and immediately set up the goal to put us 4 up so that was a good change.

This was the time to push on and close the game out but we couldn't do it. The energy wasn't in the legs.

Some people are wondering why Barry and Tom were taken off. To me, it was obvious, they had given everything they had and the legs were gone.

The Dubs had more energy in the last 15 minutes than we had and they pulled away.

So, that brings me back to my opening statement, the Dubs recovered (from last week) better than us and they had more energy at the end of the game and were able to push on and run out comfortable winners.

Obviously some positives too, Diarmuid O'Connor is a class act, Patrick Durcan was excellent and hopefully a few more of the successful 2013 minors coming through the team will get stronger.

Clearly we are in the top 3 or 4 in the country, we just need to find that extra bit that is going to get us across the line.

I love following this team, we have many more good days than bad. While I'm disappointed today I'll never forget how proud I have been of this team on all the good days and even on some of the bad days.

So thanks Mayo senior football team, keep it going and we'll keep following.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Think I'll postpone viewing the game back for another while. Glum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Brusna wrote: »
    I love following this team, we have many more good days than bad. While I'm disappointed today I'll never forget how proud I have been of this team on all the good days and even on some of the bad days.

So thanks Mayo senior football team, keep it going and we'll keep following.

Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I don't think I'll ever see Mayo win an All-Ireland.

And I'm only 24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I don't think I'll ever see Mayo win an All-Ireland.

And I'm only 24.

Be thankful you are not from Leitrim, Longford, Roscommon etc etc
    We're exceptionally lucky to have our football go on into September, most other counties would kill for that!
    Granted its heart break so far for us but thats' the "joy" and emotion of following a team.
    Chin up - there are some major positives to take from this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Still gutted after yesterday. Felt like we had Dublin on the rack when we were 4 up but couldn't finish them off. We have a decent chance of making the final next year. We are due to avoid Kerry or Dublin in the semi's next year. Think we are due to play the Ulster champs right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yes it's the Ulster champions next year for the Connaught champions.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yes it's the Ulster champions next year for the Connaught champions.

Hmm with potential Ulster rivals either on the slide or not yet where they want to be, and those in Connaught hopefully in the latter category, could be a smooth progression to the final next year. And when we get there, perhaps Dublin will have knocked out Kerry and then replicate their performance in last year's semi in the final. No wishful thinking at all in this forecast...:P

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sickened, tired, worn out, depressed, dejected, as low as any AI loss.
    Feel for the players, how they get up and go again is beyond me.

Better team won, took the game when it was there and pushed on, we had that chance and didnt take it.
    Some below par performances, think McLoughs needs time off, been saying that for 18 months.
    Strange decisions on the line, taking Moran off was beyond me, directly led to Dublins 1st goal.
    Doherty was all at sea.
    Sos will be peed off.
    Ref had a very good game.
    Discipline by both teams was exceptional.
    Hats off to Connolly, he controlled himself but could see his head was down. Saw a different side to him.
    Dublin fans were A1, before the game I had 3 different dubs make a point of shaking hands around me, I reciprocated at the end, we all have an end goal, so at the end of the day its a game.

Proud of the lads, up and downs again all year, regroup and come back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I see this as year one of a new project. The Horan style has been dismantled. Think back to Donegal in year one and how they progressed and gained the ultimate prize in year two. If we are to persist with Aido at full forward then we have to develop our style so that a) we deliver quality ball into him, good diagonal ball that he can win, b) have runners and/or corner forward that takes a pop pass coming from behind and slot the easy points, c) develop a quick counter attack. Rewatching the game this evening you could see that an awful lot of aimless and unwinnable ball was played in. Also we slowed the ball down time and time again when if we played at a higher tempo the Dubs would have been exposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Still gutted after yesterday. Felt like we had Dublin on the rack when we were 4 up but couldn't finish them off. We have a decent chance of making the final next year. We are due to avoid Kerry or Dublin in the semi's next year. Think we are due to play the Ulster champs right?

Is this not a big problem for Mayo?

More often than not, they beat one good team in the championship and get to the final and lose. This year they beat Donegal, and lost to Dublin. Next year where is the challenge going to be - no point getting to final with no challenge, and then thinking this is our year, only to lose again.

Even in the league, Mayo rarely beat more than 1 of the big teams. Its seems to be that they have 1 big game in them each year. If they took the league serious and beat more of the big teams, it would give them belief that they can win.

Hope the relevant authorities see fit to send the lads off on a well earned break.Party to a contest that sold out Croke Park on the double.They're an absolute credit to the county.As already mentioned countless other counties would endeavour for a even a modicum of success.Nobody has an entitlement to the ultimate prize in terms of success,hence success is relative.They are not failures in my book,not been good enough is no shame.I know I'll be accused of reinforcing the perception of the Mayo psyche of embracing failure and been afraid to grasp success,mental fragility.... I care less for the begrudgers.We love our football in this county and will go back supporting the team come hell or high water next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Hope the relevant authorities see fit to send the lads off on a well earned break.Party to a contest that sold out Croke Park on the double.They're an absolute credit to the county.As already mentioned countless other counties would endeavour for a even a modicum of success.Nobody has an entitlement to the ultimate prize in terms of success,hence success is relative.They are not failures in my book,not been good enough is no shame.I know I'll be accused of reinforcing the perception of the Mayo psyche of embracing failure and been afraid to grasp success,mental fragility.... I care less for the begrudgers.We love our football in this county and will go back supporting the team come hell or high water next year.

The most you can ever expect from a group of footballers is to work as hard as possible and perform to the best of their ability.

If they did that, then you should be happy!

I suspect that Mayo did not perform to the best of their ability when they went 4 points up and let nerves get the better of them. But in such big matches, there are very marginal calls that sway matches - like would taking a black card by bringing down Bernard brogans crucial goal have won match for Mayo? Maybe so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

On last nights game I though the loss of Seamus O' Shea was a big factor, even though I thought at the time they would be fine, but in the end the inability to capalatise on the 4pt lead and once again the easy concession of goals killed them.

Going forward I am more confident for this team than I was 12 months ago.
    I think I said on the old thread when the management team took over that a SF loss to Dublin, the clear favourites for this title from a long way off, would not be too bad for the first term of this management team.
    As it turns out they went a bit further and got a second game out of Dublin.

The bright side for 2016 is that if they have to play Galway or Roscommon they will do so in Castlebar. I fully expect them to win Connacht again.

After that an AI final is a make-able goal.
    There are now 3 stand out teams in football, Mayo, Kerry and Dublin, and from what we have seen over the past 2 seasons Mayo are not far behind the other two.

After that there is a drop off.
    Cork a a mess, Ulster eventhough competitive producers one dimensional teams with no real bite, and there is no one in Leinster.

So is really no one that should trouble Mayo getting to a final , i.e Connacht, Qualifier or Ulster Champion.

But they have work to do over the winter, sort of the sweeper system or some other defensive system, and find out what to do with AOS.
    If he is going to stay at FF either play someone off him or work or getting the right service to him.
    For all the hype about him, his goal v Donegal was the only real return for all the time he spent up there in the business end of the season.

The emergence of Diarmuid O' Connor is good to see, as is what we saw from Durcan in his two big day appearances.
    It would be good to get Regan back to full health too.
    For all the talk there was about Kevin Kenane he saw no more game time after that red card. He had a good league but Caff was still starter during the games in CP
    Hopefully there are one or two more that can add to the squad
    Other than Dillion I don't see any retirements, Andy Moran will likely give it at least another year.

I'd like to see them go for the league win in 2016, it would do their confidence the world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Been thinking this myself. We know we are the best team in Connaught and without being arrogant about it knew we could go out and beat Sligo on our terms playing the way we usually do. With O'Shea and Cillian as focal points up top we actually have the perfect team to play a counter-attacking game against the Dubs down the line. (provided we progress of course)

People say the team hasn't really changed since the 2 boys came in. I disagree. Obviously O'Shea at full-forward is the biggest difference. Parsons excelling and young O'Connor is a year older and has progressed. We now also have a better goalie in Clarke. Our bench looks strong, lads coming in contributing. McLoughlin is crying out to be played as a sweeper along with somebody else. People keep on about our shaky full-back line but if we put 2 bodies in front of them against any of the big three our last line of defence will be perfectly fine!

I just hope our management team are thinking a step ahead on this because come the end of the season if we fall short after going man-to-man they will have to go. End of

I wrote this 2 months ago. Whatever about the substitution's it was criminal to set-up so naively against the Dubs. No sweeper whatsoever, I would hate to play in that Mayo full-back line. They were so exposed and it's only a miracle there was no goals conceded in the first half.

In my mind we need to go way for the winter & start working on a defensive structure for next season. One which employs at least one full-time sweeper who can play the position, (unlike Boyler, & I love Boyler) We have the perfect link men in DOC to play this way & the fact Noel & Pat could not see this as soon as they came in worries me greatly.

Donegal 2012 - defensive
    Dublin 2013 - defensive
    Kerry 2014 - defensive
    Kerry Dublin 2015 - defensive

Some of the fan-base may not be happy, such was the hullabaloo after the drawn match. But in the end of that match we had Dublin broke. This system needs to be played in the FBD, the league & every match we play in Connaught. It's the only way forward & our only chance of sealing the deal with these lads. God knows they deserve it. Do Noel & Pat ave the foresight & ability to implement it though?!

The most you can ever expect from a group of footballers is to work as hard as possible and perform to the best of their ability.

If they did that, then you should be happy!

I suspect that Mayo did not perform to the best of their ability when they went 4 points up and let nerves get the better of them. But in such big matches, there are very marginal calls that sway matches - like would taking a black card by bringing down Bernard brogans crucial goal have won match for Mayo? Maybe so!

Lee Keegan's chance to put us 5 up was absolutely crucial.Agree 100% with your observation,we seemed to sit back,play keep ball with some very risky handpassing instead of going for the jugular.Robert Hennelly's possible timewasting with the kickout was a symptom of this.This has been a recurrent theme..our panic,failure to close out games when in possession of a decent lead.
    Having said that I never thought we were fully in control of the contest even when we went 4 up,hence Lee's point opportunity was vital.After the loss of Seamus O Shea and the shipping of the initial Dublin goal the wind went out of our sails,the legs seemed to be totally gone.I was quite surprised at the substitution of Barry Moran however leg weary he was as we were already short in the middle.Have yet to watch back the game.

• Advertisement

Was there a proper midfield sub option on the bench? What's become of Jason Gibbons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I am exhausted and drained, what a roller coaster of a ride the last 2 games have been. The team did their best and of that I am proud of them and their efforts, well done. I very much enjoy and admire the way mayo play football.

They made all round huge improvements this year that were obvious throughout the season, working better together as a team along with improved fitness and stamina for the last 10 minutes, which used to be an awful problem imo.

Having just learned about the possible route to the final next year, I'm feeling much better now thank you ;-) and looking forward to 2016 with some relish, it can't come quick enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Lee Keegan's chance to put us 5 up was absolutely crucial.Agree 100% with your observation,we seemed to sit back,play keep ball with some very risky handpassing instead of going for the jugular.Robert Hennelly's possible timewasting with the kickout was a symptom of this.This has been a recurrent theme..our panic,failure to close out games when in possession of a decent lead.
    Having said that I never thought we were fully in control of the contest even when we went 4 up,hence Lee's point opportunity was vital.After the loss of Seamus O Shea and the shipping of the initial Dublin goal the wind went out of our sails,the legs seemed to be totally gone.I was quite surprised at the substitution of Barry Moran however leg weary he was as we were already short in the middle.Have yet to watch back the game.

In fairness, it was massive work by the Dublin defender (McCarthy, I think) to catch up to Lee, and just put him off when he was shooting. He probably didn't realise it at the time, how important that sprint would be. I'm not saying it would definitely have made a difference, but if Mayo had gone 5 ahead, it would have really raised the adrenaline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gallagher10

I think i read in here somewhere that there are only 3 big teams left where I disagree with that entirely. I believe that there are 6 teams to think of for any given game and they are Mayo, Dublin, Donegal, Kerry, Tyrone and Monaghan. Tyrone ran Kerry close, Mayo were fortunate to have a fluke goal against Donegal that really killed the game, Dublin aren't much ahead of Mayo. It's close tbh. Honestly I think COC needs to develop more from play as I only see him score frees in the big games. Thoughts?

I think i read in here somewhere that there are only 3 big teams left where I disagree with that entirely. I believe that there are 6 teams to think of for any given game and they are Mayo, Dublin, Donegal, Kerry, Tyrone and Monaghan. Tyrone ran Kerry close, Mayo were fortunate to have a fluke goal against Donegal that really killed the game, Dublin aren't much ahead of Mayo. It's close tbh. Honestly I think COC needs to develop more from play as I only see him score frees in the big games. Thoughts?

Fluke goal? O'sheas goal was a fluke - how???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Mayo were fortunate to have a fluke goal against Donegal that really killed the game

(I was about to give out asking how AOS's goal was a fluke, forgot about keegan's goal)

What successful team hasn't had a piece of luck on their way to winning a game. (See McFadden's goal in 2012) Mayo were the better team this year and Donegal never looked like catching up to them after half-time.
    Honestly I think COC needs to develop more from play as I only see him score frees in the big games.

His first score from play yesterday was a ****ín screamer of a point from absolutely no-where. His free taking is excellent and he's one of the best players at drawing fouls, as is O'Shea. Mayo didn't get a lot from play in the first game against Dublin because the Dubs kept fouling. Had they not fouled, COC may well have been able to pop over a few scores from play.

I'm not saying that they play for frees, but Dublin were very indisciplined in the first game. And someone has to score the frees, don't they? Cluxton couldn't do it last week, Dean Rock couldn't do it on Saturday, but Cillian did it 2 weeks in a row.

And no offence intended to Monaghan, but if they were a band they'd be called 'Conor McManus featuring others'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Fluke goal? O'sheas goal was a fluke - how???

nothing flukey about that goal

dunnerc wrote: »
    nothing flukey about that goal

Aah I'd forgotten keegans too. I see his point now!

Monday morning.
    No tickets to find.
    No transport to book.
    No provisional days off on the 21st and 22nd to arrange.

The realisation that its over has just set in.

The FBD and the over excited Rossies cannot come soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Monday morning.
    No tickets to find.
    No transport to book.
    No provisional days off on the 21st and 22nd to arrange.

The realisation that its over has just set in.

The FBD and the over excited Rossies cannot come soon enough.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

The more things change the more they remain the same. Poor decision making on the line and lack of composure and naivety on the pitch were the main factors in this defeat. While Rob Hennley was taking the kick out with one of his gloves off and held in his hand I had a horrible sinking feeling. That rushed kick out led eventually to Brogans goal. When Mayo needed cool heads and composure it seemed to evaporate. The loss of SOS was a massive bearing too and you can only question the black card. Had it been red it would be more understandable but if not a red surely a yelbow was the correct decision. To then loose Barry Moran (who I hope was injured )and then Parsons left us without a midfield for 15 mins of an all ireland semi final. Vaughan should never have started and Duncan was the wrong man to replace him. It's as if the management had a plan to bring Duncan on as first sub regardless of circumstance. Hindsight is 20/20 though and the player sitting on the ditch knows all. You must feel for this incredible bunch of athletes who do not seem to know any limits to their physical and mental endurance. If the ball was kicked into a bear pit these lads would chase in after it but the truth is that the quality to scale the very top of the mountain is not there. They are very close but its hard now to see how they can win it. They may yet contest more semis and finals but I don't believe that the mix is right to win the ultimate prize. At any rate it's all just opinion and this squad owe nothing to anyone but themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I see this as year one of a new project. The Horan style has been dismantled. Think back to Donegal in year one and how they progressed and gained the ultimate prize in year two. If we are to persist with Aido at full forward then we have to develop our style so that a) we deliver quality ball into him, good diagonal ball that he can win, b) have runners and/or corner forward that takes a pop pass coming from behind and slot the easy points, c) develop a quick counter attack. Rewatching the game this evening you could see that an awful lot of aimless and unwinnable ball was played in. Also we slowed the ball down time and time again when if we played at a higher tempo the Dubs would have been exposed.

You are still forgetting the big fecking elephant in the corner that has been there for over a decade.
    The defense needs to be tightened to prevent goals.
    Brolly for all his shytetology is damm right.

And the fact that the management had the year to try and remedy that, but yet shipped soft goals is the worrying thing.
    They should have been working on developing a sweeper system all year not the last couple of months.

If you look at the Donegal development, the tight defense was probably the thing most developed in the first years.
    I wrote this 2 months ago. Whatever about the substitution's it was criminal to set-up so naively against the Dubs. No sweeper whatsoever, I would hate to play in that Mayo full-back line. They were so exposed and it's only a miracle there was no goals conceded in the first half.

In my mind we need to go way for the winter & start working on a defensive structure for next season. One which employs at least one full-time sweeper who can play the position, (unlike Boyler, & I love Boyler) We have the perfect link men in DOC to play this way & the fact Noel & Pat could not see this as soon as they came in worries me greatly.

Donegal 2012 - defensive
    Dublin 2013 - defensive
    Kerry 2014 - defensive
    Kerry Dublin 2015 - defensive

Some of the fan-base may not be happy, such was the hullabaloo after the drawn match. But in the end of that match we had Dublin broke. This system needs to be played in the FBD, the league & every match we play in Connaught. It's the only way forward & our only chance of sealing the deal with these lads. God knows they deserve it. Do Noel & Pat ave the foresight & ability to implement it though?!

Agree.
    And if anything I think someone linked to Northern teams needs to be brought on board to do it because I don't think the two guys there know how.
    They had a long time to work on something, but in the end the developed sweeper system looked like it was half ar**d and cobbled together last minute.

A lot of people are writing off the likes of Tyrone.
    Tyrone are a lot closer than people think (they need a reliable free taker and a couple more scoring forwards much like ourselves) and wily old fox Mickie Harte is worth all of Mayo's managers in the last 20 years combined.

But for the fact that some guys are getting on and have a lot of hours of hard work on the clock, it would be fine for this current management team to have a few years to do the necessary.
    There are only so many years you can ask guys to postpone their lives and go back to the well.
    No one could begrudge some of the older guys hanging their boots up after all the years hard service they have given.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Hard luck to Mayo on Saturday - the on pitch reasons for the loss have been discussed ad infinitum so there is no need for me to delve into them any more.
    I know Mayo fans wear the over the top support of the county as a badge of honour but maybe the whole 'Mayo for Sam' thing every year where fans try to out do each other by undertaking ever more zany acts is actually increasing the pressure on the team.

A more low key build up might help the team in the future?
    Don't take my words as gospel or an insult- just an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Hard luck to Mayo on Saturday - the on pitch reasons for the loss have been discussed ad infinitum so there is no need for me to delve into them any more.
    I know Mayo fans wear the over the top support of the county as a badge of honour but maybe the whole 'Mayo for Sam' thing every year where fans try to out do each other by undertaking ever more zany acts is actually increasing the pressure on the team.

A more low key build up might help the team in the future?
    Don't take my words as gospel or an insult- just an opinion.

This is a fair point. There was serious hype around the county after we beat Donegal. I tried to avoid social media the last couple of weeks because it was just too much, I've personally had enough of it the last few years. The thing is, the hype is usually generated from the bandwagon support and it seems to be getting worse every year! I even saw songs released before the Donegal game, ffs who in their right mind though that it was a good idea to release that?

While I appreciate there is always going to be a level of excitement around the county when the team is doing well, I really don't think it helps things. From an outsider looking in, it must seem beyond cringe worthy too. The 'Mayo 4 Sam' slogan to be fair, is just used as a piss take by a lot of people but its had its day. Hopefully one day there will be a slogan 'Mayo have Sam' and nobody will laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Not entirely relevant but does anyone else see Kerry at 6/5 to win as remarkable value?. I know they didn't look world beaters against Tyrone but I'd put a lot of that down to conditions on the day being more suited to Tyrones hand passing game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I yearn for the day I can change my user name to MayoWonSam :(:(:(.

Blackjack wrote: »
    Not entirely relevant but does anyone else see Kerry at 6/5 to win as remarkable value?.

No I'd probably make Dublin slight favourites too, if only because you'd think they're slightly hungrier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I think it was more the 3rd game in 4 weeks that did for Donegal rather than Keegan's goal. It was always going to be a big ask with Mayo having 4 weeks (?) off after a cakewalk in the Connaught final. I have to laugh at Fr Tod's post basically saying nobody should trouble Mayo until the final next year! Arrogant much?! Not for the first time of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gallagher10

I see what yous are saying lads but donegal were killed by keegans goal it just knocked the stuffing out of them! Like i know it's all what ifs but if that goal didn't go in i coulda seen a closer affair in the 2nd half leaving it truly 50/50! But the past is the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Onwards and upwards I've been pizzed the last few days so need to look forward to cold wet blustery Rainey days in Mchale park followed by a couple in mchales pub!!

Donegal home
    Down ?
    Roscommon...haven't the foggiest, it's being so long they were playing in the big time ;)
    Kerry home
    Dublin away
    Monaghan away
    Cork home

So only two home games not incl down or ros coz I don't know.
    Anyone know about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I think Mayo are further away from winning the All Ireland now than 12 months ago. Saturday was Mayo largest margin of defeat in the championship for 4 years and in that defeat they showed signs of side with a lot of miles on the clock. In regards to 2016 at home Roscommon,Galway should mean a 6th Connacht title in a row but i think a someone like Tyrone who showed improvement this year and have more U-21 All Ireland winners to bring into their side could catch Mayo on the hop in the All Ireland series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Obviously I was very disappointed after the match, but not as despondent as last year when we certainly should have kicked on and got to the final. We never looked strong enough to win either game. You simply can't chase a match against the Dubs and expect to come out on top. There has been much made about tactics and whatnot but for all his bluster Brolly is correct, we ship goals at crucial moments in games. That has been our undoing in the past four years. Who was supposed to pick up Fenton when he made his run, why was Brogan allowed to pass the ball inside the way he did, why did McManamon have so much space to run into? We simply must devise a proper defensive plan, practice like crazy on the training ground and deploy it against the big teams in the league. We will never make it over the line otherwise. We seemed to get it right against Donegal but it just didn't work against Dublin, the warning signs were there when McMahon should have goaled in the first half.

In attack, the experiment with O'Shea might have worked against the weaker teams but until it makes hay against the likes of Dublin or Kerry then it must be expanded upon. More coaching on the training field to have lads get themselves in a position to deliver quick diagonal ball into O'Shea before he is boxed in by the opposing defence, along with players to lay off it to or to collect if punched away. As a strategy it has potential but needs more work as a team. More natural forwards are required, and perhaps McLoughlin and Doherty should be playing deeper if that is to be their role. As our main scoring threat there should be no need for COC to track back as he was regularly doing the last day.

Much has been made about players having miles up on the clock, psychological tiredness and whatnot. I think the majority of the players will have the hunger to give it another go next year. But the team does need to be freshened up. Get the likes of Kirby, Byrne, Irwin, Conroy, Coen and Durkan in there and give them plenty of game time in the league and have them compete for places. Give Mickey Sweeney more game time, we only ever seem to see him with 5 minutes remaining and the game slipping away. Either give him proper game time or don't bother. Diarmuid O'Connor showed potential in last year's championship but has already come to prominence in a short space of time. We need more like him to step up.

The league will be very important next year, plenty of new players to be blooded and better defence and attack strategies to be deployed. We cannot make it up as we go along. By all means give the established players a rest but it's vital that management get planning early for the league. No need to go all out and win it (although it would be a badly needed confidence boost) but progress does need to be made.

I don't know, I have mixed feelings about this year. Noel and Pat have made errors but they have shown they aren't afraid to shake things up. I was disappointed with some of the basic errors made on the pitch. Bad kick-passing, decision making, poor shot selection, poor kick-outs. These are things that need to be coached out early in the year. It's also disappointing that players on the road this long are not displaying the cuteness needed to win big games. We were short on leaders after our goal went in. But kudos to the players for coming back to the well year-after-year. I have no doubt they will be challenging again next year, hopefully with lessons fully learned and a more astute coaching team behind them.

fullstop wrote: »
    I think it was more the 3rd game in 4 weeks that did for Donegal rather than Keegan's goal. It was always going to be a big ask with Mayo having 4 weeks (?) off after a cakewalk in the Connaught final. I have to laugh at Fr Tod's post basically saying nobody should trouble Mayo until the final next year! Arrogant much?! Not for the first time of course.

It's not arrogance it's realistic expectation.

And there is nothing wrong with having that realistic expectation.

All things being equal Mayo have a great opportunity to make next years All Ireland final.
    And what I mean by all things being equal is that you don't have any major injuries and the likes of Mayo, Kerry and Dublin win their provinces thus allowing Mayo to avoid the other two up to the final.
    As I said in the other post I'd fully expect Mayo to win Connacht what with having home games etc.
    Galway may be improving but Mayo are still much better and myuch more experienced.
    Roscommon are not beating mayo at home either.
    Once you get past Connacnt you are in a QF.
    This could be anyone but if they keep the A\B structure it's unlikely to be the Ulster loser or qualifier because that's who we played this year.
    If they are doing some sort of rotation it’s likely to be the Leinster loser or a qualifier, and to be honest I don't think there is anything in Leinster to trouble Mayo.
    Now that qualifier may be and Ulster team, but really Ulster is the most over rated province in the land.
    Monaghan are a one dimensional joke. Since 2011 they are the only provincial champion not to have a 100% QF record, they actually have a 0% QF record.
    Tyrone were made to look good this year by a poor Monaghan team and a pretty soft ramble through the qualifiers.
    Donegal look road weary and they may have a number of retirements this winter.

So realty there is no team in Ulster that should be threatening Mayo, in a QF as a qualifier or in a SF as qualifier or champion.

Cork once again are the big outliers here, no one knows what to expect.
    They may throw the whole thing into chaos by beating Kerry in Munster but they again they may be gone by the middle of July.

So just as this year based on the draw a SF loss to Dublin was always about as far as I thought Mayo would go, so next year a final is well within their grasp based on the draw.

I think Mayo are further away from winning the All Ireland now than 12 months ago. Saturday was Mayo largest margin of defeat in the championship for 4 years and in that defeat they showed signs of side with a lot of miles on the clock. In regards to 2016 at home Roscommon,Galway should mean a 6th Connacht title in a row but i think a someone like Tyrone who showed improvement this year and have more U-21 All Ireland winners to bring into their side could catch Mayo on the hop in the All Ireland series.

Since June 26th 2010 Mayo have not been caught on the hop.
    The closest was v Roscommon in 2014.
    Tyrone may have won the U21 this year but as we have seen from the likes of Galway it takes more than a single year to move U21s to senior.
    A soft run through the qualifiers and a QF v Monaghan made Tyrone look a lot better than they are

............... and perhaps McLoughlin and Doherty should be playing deeper if that is to be their role. As our main scoring threat there should be no need for COC to track back as he was regularly doing the last day...........

Swap McLoughlin and Keegan

McLoughlin started out as a wing back, the change may help him, and we all know how Keegan likes to get forward.

Swap McLoughlin and Keegan

McLoughlin started out as a wing back, the change may help him, and we all know how Keegan likes to get forward.

I'd put mcloughlin back to the backs alright but wouldn't put keegan in the forwards. Keegan loves to get forward alright but he is also a wonderful marker. Just look at how well he did on Connolly. You'd really be robbing your defence and weakening it with that move. Mayos defence certainly can't cope with being weakened any more than it currently is! I'd also wonder if keegan would be as effective further up the pitch, he is great at running from deep, from the half back line to create an overlap and get into a point scoring position. But it's not as easy to find that space when you're further up the pitch being marked by a defender (rather than a forward). I wouldn't move keegan if I was manager anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Mcstay could be unveiled as Ross manager this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

MAYO FOR SAM

It's also disappointing that players on the road this long are not displaying the cuteness needed to win big games.

I wonder is this a cultural thing, that no amount of big-game experience can teach you. Are us Mayo bucks just too nice and 'straight edge'?:P
    Would players from a 'lesser' team like Tyrone have bundled Brogan out over the endline before he had the chance to set up the second goal, even taking a booking if they had to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Niceness doesn't come into it. The Mayo defenders were soley intent on closing down Brogans angle, so that he couldn't fist the ball over the bar for an easy point. They succeeded in that, but they neglected the acres of space to his right, for Philly Mc to run into. If they'd been just a bit tighter there, they could have stopped both - the fisted point and the goal, without having to resort to any Tyrone-esque levels of nastiness.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement