Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

All Ireland Round 4 Draws

The draws for the final qualifier rounds take place tomorrow morning on RTE Radio One after the 8.30 AM news on Morning Ireland.Both draws will be subject to the avoidance of repeat pairings.

Round 4A(games on July 23/24)

Bowl 1 Clare,Derry
    Bowl 2 Tipperary,Roscommon

Round 4B(games on July 30/31)

Bowl 1 Mayo,Cork

Bowl 2 Westmeath,Donegal

Sunday Times

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Donegal Tyrone Westmeath Roscommon Galway Clare Tipp Derry

Mayo should not fear any of

Unless of course they meet them in a final in which case they will lose to all of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Christ they are all out this evening.
    Shouldn't ye be out celebrating another Leinster final lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Good to see Donal getting a full run yesterday :D and a bit of bulk added to the back ;) excellent. Accurate kicking all round and much better tight marking, the sap is rising, I feel it. Cant wait for the next march.

Kildare were dangerous all the time and play a beauitiful fluid game that was a pleasure to watch. While there was 9 points difference towards the end, its only 3 kicks of the ball, best to ensure that nothing happens when you have a decent lead against a dangerous team like that.

Next time I would like the bulk at the back for the first half and see what happens with that :D, tire out the opposing forwards I hope.

Michael Murphy was kicking points from outside the 45 today, something to think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

No all quarter finals are in CP.

4th round qualifiers are neutral, maybe CP

Venues will probably depend on the draw.
    Last year was:
    Cork v Kildare @ Thurles
    Westmeath v Fermanagh @ Cavan

Other 2 were double header @ croke Park:
    Sligo v Tyrone & Donegal v Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

cocoman wrote: »
    Venues will probably depend on the draw.
    Last year was:
    Cork v Kildare @ Thurles
    Westmeath v Fermanagh @ Cavan

Other 2 were double header @ croke Park:
    Sligo v Tyrone & Donegal v Galway

I reckon Croker if it's Donegal, and god knows where if it's Westmeath but not Croker. Could be Limerick! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

martyos121 wrote: »
    I reckon Croker if it's Donegal, and god knows where if it's Westmeath but not Croker. Could be Limerick! :(

I'd be happy to go to Limerick as I've a wedding the Friday and would not be looking forward to a long trip to Dublin :D
    I think if it's cork Donegal and mayo Westmeath there even be a possibility of a double header in Limerick!
    if it's mayo Donegal it will be croker and the late game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

km79 wrote: »
    I'd be happy to go to Limerick as I've a wedding the Friday and would not be looking forward to a long trip to Dublin :D
    I think if it's cork Donegal and mayo Westmeath there even be a possibility of a double header in Limerick!

Ah you would be very happy then of course, myself I've not fond memories of the place from last time but it's a grand spot if anyone's making the weekend of it.

We really need the tougher game I feel which is clearly Donegal just to keep the momentum going, but any situation where we avoid Dublin in the quarter finals is the best one I think, we're not anywhere near ready for a challenge like that yet based on how things have gone for us. Donegal, Tyrone, Galway (or whoever beats them) is the route I'd like to take to the final, but I don't think it's a year where we'll get much further than the quarter, if even that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Soooooooo which do we want
    A
    Westmeath (who we will beat don't care what anyone says about complacency etc )
    And then Tyrone in quarters . With galway playing in the other quarter final on that side of draw

Or
    B
    A real tough test against donegal with dublin and then Kerry lying in wait for the winners on that side

I'll take A thanks

Seems straightforward alright but in terms of winning an All Ireland i think B can work. For the sole reason i think Dublin will be vulnerable after the Leinster Championship. They get better with games against good teams though. Last year Mayo were disjointed enough but still could have won the first game. The replay helped both teams, Dublin won and by the time they met Kerry they were flying. In reality the weather kept the scoreboard respectable.

If it works out A and Mayo win through to a final, they'll more than likely have to play the Kerry monster:pac: or a well tested Dublin. I don't think they'll win either tbh. In a quarter final after a hard fought win against Donegal? Definite chance they can build a head of steam and exploit Dublin and indeed then Kerry (who'll play also rans in the QF) being a little rusty.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭coniosumadre

Ah you would be very happy then of course, myself I've not fond memories of the place from last time but it's a grand spot if anyone's making the weekend of it.

We really need the tougher game I feel which is clearly Donegal just to keep the momentum going, but any situation where we avoid Dublin in the quarter finals is the best one I think, we're not anywhere near ready for a challenge like that yet based on how things have gone for us. Donegal, Tyrone, Galway (or whoever beats them) is the route I'd like to take to the final, but I don't think it's a year where we'll get much further than the quarter, if even that.
    Finally. Someone taking sense. Hallejulah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hahaha... Good man. The arrogance is back in the camp again after a Kildare at home victory. Getting a bit too far ahead of yourself

Going on last year , being Dublin's first test is better than their second or third

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Only if the Ulster loser is drawn against and beats Cork

Mayo avoid Dublin if they draw and beat Westmeath and Donegal beat Cork.

If we draw Donegal then we play Dublin if Westmeath beat Cork.

If we beat Donegal and Cork beat Westmeath its open draw to see who plays Dublin.

The reason, provincial champs cannot meet the team they beat in the final.

I would prefer the dubs in the 1/4 as this should give us the best chance to beat them. Yesterday performance for me was better again from the Fermanagh game and I hope the next game brings them on again. We should be well oiled for the dubs then and you never know once you hit CP.

Breffini Park maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Will review the Mayo game later...
    but just watching the Sunday game and something came to mind when I seen the presentation to Sean Kavanagh and then Des says that Tyrone refused to give a media interview to RTE/Sunday Game (as we know it's well documented at this stage).

If they win the all Ireland, will there be no winners hotel for Marty and the usual interviews and presentation of MOTM ?????

Shower of knobs.

Keith Higgins team captain ?? Marty you tool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I thought Tomas O Se was a little harsh on McLoughlin and the sweeping role. He has done well and is still settling in it. Showing the clip where he dropped the ball on a solo run was a misrepresentation, he had a good game for me. O'Se also tried to make out he was a top forward in the country and shouldn't be moved from there but most would agree that he hasn't been at his best for a season or two, so that's not an issue. He came into the Mayo setup as a half back, so his argument that 'he's not a natural defender' doesn't hold up either.

We also need a sweeper in Croker, it doesn't matter if we never bothered with one before. We've been leaking soft goals for too long now and it's important that the system is put into place before we play a good team.

I thought Tomas O Se was a little harsh on McLoughlin and the sweeping role. He has done well and is still settling in it. Showing the clip where he dropped the ball on a solo run was a misrepresentation, he had a good game for me. O'Se also tried to make out he was a top forward in the country and shouldn't be moved from there but most would agree that he hasn't been at his best for a season or two, so that's not an issue. He came into the Mayo setup as a half back, so his argument that 'he's not a natural defender' doesn't hold up either.

We also need a sweeper in Croker, it doesn't matter if we never bothered with one before. We've been leaking soft goals for too long now and it's important that the system is put into place before we play a good team.

Don't like McLoughlin in the sweeper role, I think we miss him more in the forwards but credit where credit is due he covered serious ground yesterday and his ball distribution was excellent, aside from the one time they showed on the Sunday game when he carried the ball into the tackle and was turned over.

Awful surprised they only slightly referenced how poor were at midfield and did not show the any one of up to 20 examples where SOS was cleaned and Vaughan who had done so well last week was dire this week. His passing and movement of the ball was the stuff of a bad junior B team. What made me mad was we persisted on pumping high balls down on top of them even though Kildare were making hay. Clarke never varied the strategy at all. Other teams will be watching this and adapting their strategy. We Really are stuck for midfielders. Depending on the draw, I think it's time for big barry to get a start. Definitely think Vaughan or SOS would have been substituted for Barry only for the black card to boyler changed things slightly. Is Parsons out for long does anyone know?

Also worth noting when Coen came on he added absolutely nothing to the game. He was totally at sea. Really like him as a player, but in the last two game he has been so poor. Credit to Durcan, he took last weeks bad performance and came out this week looking like a different player...not the same can be said for Coen.

Credit to Freezer and Doherty, three lovely points from play when the came on and staking a claim for a starting berth next week. For me is there is no Parsons next game AOS has to go back to midfield and Doherty starts in the forwards. Vaughan to drop to the bench.

TBH I am tending to agree with Tomas O Se,we are losing more from playing Kevin Mc in the sweeping role than we are accruing in terms of benefit.It is absolutely true that he started out with the under 21s as a half back and has been out of sorts by his very high standards in recent years.But he is always good for a score and offers that bit of creativity,imagination and nous to open up defences.

Keith Higgins would be more suited to the role,if we are roadtesting a sweeper system for the later stages of the championship we are failing.We are far too open down the middle and conceding too big of scores against so called second tier teams.Cian O Sullivan has the role perfected to a fine art and it's no secret as to how it should function correctly...he is a master at sensing danger and appropriate positioning to cover.

Ascii wrote: »
    Don't like McLoughlin in the sweeper role, I think we miss him more in the forwards but credit where credit is due he covered serious ground yesterday and his ball distribution was excellent, aside from the one time they showed on the Sunday game when he carried the ball into the tackle and was turned over.

Awful surprised they only slightly referenced how poor were at midfield and did not show the any one of up to 20 examples where SOS was cleaned and Vaughan who had done so well last week was dire this week. His passing and movement of the ball was the stuff of a bad junior B team. What made me mad was we persisted on pumping high balls down on top of them even though Kildare were making hay. Clarke never varied the strategy at all. Other teams will be watching this and adapting their strategy. We Really are stuck for midfielders. Depending on the draw, I think it's time for big barry to get a start. Definitely think Vaughan or SOS would have been substituted for Barry only for the black card to boyler changed things slightly. Is Parsons out for long does anyone know?

Also worth noting when Coen came on he added absolutely nothing to the game. He was totally at sea. Really like him as a player, but in the last two game he has been so poor. Credit to Durcan, he took last weeks bad performance and came out this week looking like a different player...not the same can be said for Coen.

Credit to Freezer and Doherty, three lovely points from play when the came on and staking a claim for a starting berth next week. For me is there is no Parsons next game AOS has to go back to midfield and Doherty starts in the forwards. Vaughan to drop to the bench.

That game was crying out for Barry Moran to brought on long before Colm Boyle received the black card.

I thought Patrick Durkan did ok,improved on last week.IMO Aidan should start in the middle of the park if Tom Parsons is not fit.We really need Tom back asap.Barry Moran must be pushing hard for a starting spot.We were cleaned out in the middle of the park,very worrying.

Tad harsh on young Stephen Coen me thinks,he'll come on with more game time.

Yes Alan Freeman and Jason Doherty got a few nice scores but the game was won,totally different to when the game is in melting pot.I'd consider starting Jason Doherty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I thought he was more or less spot on. Positionally, McLoughlin isn't cute enough as O'Se highlighted. I don't think you learn that (quickly or easily), you either know where to be or what space to move into. I wouldn't class him as a natural defender and I think you need someone who is, in that role. I think that's what he was getting at and in fairness to him he knows we have to do something, he suggested ditching the sweeping role and just falling back into defence like most others.

While the lost ball might have been a misrepresentation, it happened, and if that happens in CP against a good team then there's a goal chance a coming. I wouldn't put the blame on McLoughlin though, he looks like he's carrying out orders. Those orders seem to be to play some kind of counter attacking sweeper role... which makes no sense for me at all, if you play a sweeper, he sweeps. I've been on a downer of late and I put it down to seeing us play McLoughlin in that role, with that freedom. We'll get crucified by good teams using that.

It's an easy enough position to look good in, a few poor balls mopped up and all seems great. I hope it's something that can be improved upon but I don't think that comes easy. You can guarantee that if O'Se is highlighting it as a weakness, then opponents down the line will see it as one too.

On a positive note, there are signs of encouragement. DO'C is proving game in, game out to be one of the best footballers around. Andy Moran provided a much needed focal point, he starts for me from here on. Cillian and Regan should benefit from each game. Being able to call upon Dillion, Doherty and Freeman gives options. Once we're back to a full squad you would hope issues in midfield and the full back line will be gone.

• Advertisement

Ascii wrote: »

Midfield was poor alright, especially in the second half. Parson's has a good chance of being involved in two weeks time, Barrett isn't too far away either apparently. Having them back would be a boost, two areas where we're short at the minute.

Durcan did much better in fairness. Vaughan isn't an inter county midfielder, he still has a role to play but at the moment it's probably coming off the bench to fill in or to give us a bit of drive.

Andy needs to start from here on out, he's still has the class. Regan's confidence will have been given a lift. Boyle, AOS, McLoughlin, Higgins are all playing well, Diarmuid O Connor is flying it. If the likes of Cillian can up it at the same time and our defence can continue to stop leaking goals, we'll be a tough team to beat. Still a lot of questions to be answered though.

Both Dessie Dolan and Aaron Kernan stating what is blindingly obvious
    Switch Higgins and mcloughlin . Let Keith be the defensive sweeper and Kevin the roving half forward. I can't believe it's still going on and it will cost us.
    Just to add to that I really like Dessie on it.He is a very good analayst with no obvious agendas and doesn't go for silly soundbites. He seems like a sound auld skin :D

seligehgit wrote: »
    TBH I am tending to agree with Tomas O Se,we are losing more from playing Kevin Mc in the sweeping role than we are accruing in terms of benefit.It is absolutely true that he started out with the under 21s as a half back and has been out of sorts by his very high standards in recent years.But he is always good for a score and offers that bit of creativity,imagination and nous to open up defences.

Keith Higgins would be more suited to the role,if we are roadtesting a sweeper system for the later stages of the championship we are failing.We are far too open down the middle and conceding too big of scores against so called second tier teams.Cian O Sullivan has the role perfected to a fine art and it's no secret as to how it should function correctly...he is a master at sensing danger and appropriate positioning to cover.

I think McLoughlin suffered a little with confidence, clear to see in his free taking. I don't think he was the influence he was last season or the season before. I rate him highly as a player but his main strength for us has been winning breaking ball and accurate passing. I think he could do well in this new role but it still remains to be seen.

PARlance wrote: »
    I thought he was more or less spot on. Positionally, McLoughlin isn't cute enough as O'Se highlighted. I don't think you learn that (quickly or easily), you either know where to be or what space to move into. I wouldn't class him as a natural defender and I think you need someone who is, in that role. I think that's what he was getting at and in fairness to him he knows we have to do something, he suggested ditching the sweeping role and just falling back into defence like most others.

While the lost ball might have been a misrepresentation, it happened, and if that happens in CP against a good team then there's a goal chance a coming. I wouldn't put the blame on McLoughlin though, he looks like he's carrying out orders. Those orders seem to be to play some kind of counter attacking sweeper role... which makes no sense for me at all, if you play a sweeper, he sweeps. I've been on a downer of late and I put it down to seeing us play McLoughlin in that role, with that freedom. We'll get crucified by good teams using that.

It's an easy enough position to look good in, a few poor balls mopped up and all seems great. I hope it's something that can be improved upon but I don't think that comes easy. You can guarantee that if O'Se is highlighting it as a weakness, then opponents down the line will see it as one too.

On a positive note, there are signs of encouragement. DO'C is proving game in, game out to be one of the best footballers around. Andy Moran provided a much needed focal point, he starts for me from here on. Cillian and Regan should benefit from each game. Being able to call upon Dillion, Doherty and Freeman gives options. Once we're back to a full squad you would hope issues in midfield and the full back line will be gone.

I think he's an intelligent player and will make good judgement whether to stay or go. To me he didn't do much wrong yesterday. What O Se highlighted wasn't by any means damning. In some of them clips, McLoughlin was holding position, making sure not to rush out but minding the square. If he rushs out it leaves space inside and he's not the type of player to stand an opponent up. I think it can get better but at least there were no goals conceded yesterday which was something.

Higgin's new role lets him tackle higher up the pitch and gives us cover. There were times when Kildare were trying to build a move but they had AOS, Higgins and Boyle swarming around them, that's always going to force a team to eventually make mistakes

I think the team needed a shake up, McLoughlin and Higgins are two players that can adapt easily.

I still see our half back line and half forward line being very strong. Need improvement everywhere else though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A
    And then Tyrone in quarters . With galway playing in the other quarter final on that side of draw

Or
    B
    A real tough test against donegal with dublin and then Kerry lying in wait for the winners on that side

I'll take A thanks

I'd take A.

Fair enough there may be merit to getting Dublin early but if they have a frailty or a malaise like in 2012 let someone else expose it and let Mayo reap the benefit.

The last two teams that stopped Dublin's two in a row bids did not win the All Ireland.

And I personally don't think there is a huge gulf between ourselves, Kerry, Tyrone or Donegal.

Take to on paper easier route and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

PARlance wrote: »

I'd agree with this. It does seem to be a key tactic to use mcloughlin to carry the ball forward from defence. He is a fantastic ball carrier. And he has started a few good attacks. However I'm not convinced that a player can be a disciplined sweeper and go forward as much as he currently does. I'm also not sure Mayo have a plan in place for when he goes forward, like surely somebody should look to fall back into the sweepers position when he does it. Personally if I was manager, I'd have him wing forward picking up breaks from midfield and carrying the ball from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Oldtree wrote:
    Michael Murphy was kicking points from outside the 45 today, something to think about.

He missed the important one at the end though

I'd take A.

Fair enough there may be merit to getting Dublin early but if they have a frailty or a malaise like in 2012 let someone else expose it and let Mayo reap the benefit.

The last two teams that stopped Dublin's two in a row bids did not win the All Ireland.

And I personally don't think there is a huge gulf between ourselves, Kerry, Tyrone or Donegal.

Take to on paper easier route and see how you get on.

Agree now it's cross the fingers time

I am guessing we get Westmeath away

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Rossies will beat Clare Id say. Nice draw for them

Westmeath

• Advertisement

Mayo versus Westmeath it is

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So Westmeath. Perferred to have got Donegal tbh.

Have to be happy with that in fairness. Gives us one more chance to perfect our game

LOVELY !
    we have been tested enough . I want games we will win and gain more confidence. This should be another one. and then we are back where we should be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

A

Or
    B

I'll take A thanks

Nice draw it has to be said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Westmeath
    Nice to play against a team that we have not played against that much (how often) in the championship.

Hopefully we show that we can adapt against different opposition and that they force us to show that we can defend against different opposition .

Hopefully we can get through and improve .

Nice draw it has to be said.

as Tod pointed out though if cork win there would then also be a quarter final draw
    if Donegal and ourselves win they can't meet Tyrone so we take that path
    so up mayo and Donegal !
    and ya know what the Dubs won't fancy Donegal in the quarter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Anyone know if our game is definitely on the Saturday or could it be on the Sunday?
    Looks like I can't make Saturday, but Sunday would be possible.

Anyone know if our game is definitely on the Saturday or could it be on the Sunday?
    Looks like I can't make Saturday, but Sunday would be possible.

mayo has seen adamant it's on the Saturday
    Sunday would also be better for me
    hope it's not in croker either way
    it quite possibly would have been the Hyde
    That's 2 gates they have missed out on now

• Advertisement

mayo has seen adamant it's on the Saturday
    Sunday would also be better for me
    hope it's not in croker either way
    it quite possibly would have been the Hyde
    That's 2 gates they have missed out on now

They'll do a double header in Croker i'd say. Hyde would have been the spot but as you said another pay day missed out!

Just seen this on Twitter:

Midlands103Sport ‏@MidlandsSport 25m25 minutes ago
    Westmeath officials were told yesterday that the round 4B qualifiers will be a double header at Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Double header i reckon lads with Cork/Donegal

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Double header i reckon lads with Cork/Donegal

A good day out.

Yes that would be a cracking double header in Croker.Presumably the Cork Donegal game would the second game.No real preference vis a vis the Saturday or Sunday with it being the August bank holiday weekend.

Yes that would be a cracking double header in Croker.Presumably the Cork Donegal game would the second game.No real preference vis a vis the Saturday or Sunday with it being the August bank holiday weekend.

2 quarter finals to be on that weekend too

• Advertisement

If its in CP it will be Saturday, probably first game.

They will put Kerry v A and Galway v A on the Sunday.

If the Rossies had not bought that freggin bus it would be on much closer to home.

as Tod pointed out though if cork win there would then also be a quarter final draw
    if Donegal and ourselves win they can't meet Tyrone so we take that path
    so up mayo and Donegal !
    and ya know what the Dubs won't fancy Donegal in the quarter

They mightn't relish a joust with Donegal but I would strongly favour them to beat Donegal.

If the Rossies had not bought that freggin bus it would be on much closer to home.

Might be a tempting to hit Croker on the Sunday too!😀😁

Nothing on the bank holiday Monday then at all?

Nothing on the bank holiday Monday then at all?

Nope, there has not been a game on that day since the day of "the startled earwiggs" I think.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement