Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

km79 wrote: »
    Nothing on the bank holiday Monday then at all?

They can't plan a 6 day turnaround on the B qualifiers, so if they use Sun/Mon rather than Sat/Sun, surely they have to put the Kerry & Galway QFs on the Monday as they have a couple of weeks off til a semi final.

I'm hoping that's what they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Nothing on the bank holiday Monday then at all?

The only time they've ever stuck anything on the Monday is when the dubs needed a standalone. They don't use the Monday now the QFs are split into two weekends.

Yeve done some job of turning a minefield into a nice plum route :) . 75% chance now you'll avoid Dublin in the quarters also

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

If its in CP it will be Saturday, probably first game.

They will put Kerry v A and Galway v A on the Sunday.

If the Rossies had not bought that freggin bus it would be on much closer to home.
    You would think that they would at least make the bus available (gratis) for supporters as some sort of compensation for not sorting out their ground;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

No mention of playing on the Monday on the draw webpage.
    All-Ireland SFC Round 4B Qualifier draw (July 30/31st)

Cork v Donegal

Mayo v Westmeath

http://www.gaa.ie/football/news/round-sfc-qualifier-draw/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Will the qf be the following weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Will the qf be the following weekend?

Yes, the Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yes, the Saturday.

Does the schedule really have to be so concentrated I wonder. Seems like they have most of August and September to play with for the last three rounds...

Good draw for Mayo by the way.

I can see Donegal beating Cork, hopefully they will.

This is revenge for 2001 !.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Good draw for Mayo by the way.

I can see Donegal beating Cork, hopefully they will.

This is revenge for 2001 !.

It's hard to know who to be up for in the Donegal match though. If they win it and we beat WM, we're stuck with Dublin in the quarters. If Cork win, it's an open draw. :o

Now the argument can be made that playing Dublin earlier than usual could be beneficial to us as they improve with every game, but I think such a challenge would come too soon for us, a good 10-15 minutes against Kildare isn't much evidence we could take them on and come out on top.

We have to get past Westmeath first which I'm fairly confident of, but I'd much rather have Tyrone in the quarters and Galway/whoever beats them in the semis should we make it that far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

martyos121 wrote: »
    It's hard to know who to be up for in the Donegal match though. If they win it and we beat WM, we're stuck with Dublin in the quarters. If Cork win, it's an open draw.

Now the argument can be made that playing Dublin earlier than usual could be beneficial to us as they improve with every game, but I think such a challenge would come too soon for us, a good 10-15 minutes against Kildare isn't much evidence we could take them on and come out on top.

We have to get past Westmeath first which I'm fairly confident of, but I'd much rather have Tyrone in the quarters and Galway/whoever beats them in the semis should we make it that far.

If donegal win and we win we get Tyrone NOT Dublin

• Advertisement

If donegal win and we win we get Tyrone NOT Dublin

Oh jesus your right, mixed up the draw. Well I've made a complete fool of myself. :o Leaving thread...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

It's hard to know who to be up for in the Donegal match though. If they win it and we beat WM, we're stuck with Dublin in the quarters. If Cork win, it's an open draw.

If we beat Westmeath and Donegal beat Cork, we play Tyrone and Donegal plays Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If Donegal win they can't play Tyrone. They'll play Dublin.

Yep, caught that now. Don't know how I mixed it up because I'd been on about it all day yesterday during the Ulster final.

It's prob best to repost it one more time as things have been confused
    Assuming we win
    A. Donegal also win
    We play Tyrone ( and are on Galway side of draw )and donegal play Dublin ( Kerry side of draw)

B . Cork win. Open draw to see who plays Dublin Tyrone

That's it in a nutshell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Our bloody year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Our bloody year?

Isn't is always:D

At this stage you'd have to rate Tyrone and obviously Dublin ahead of Mayo but then again Mayo are more than capable of beating Tyrone and capable of beating Dublin as last year proved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Saturday, July 30, 2016
    Round 4B - Páirc an Chrócaigh
    Mayo vs Westmeath 6pm

They are having a laugh surely. Mad throw in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Confirmed.
    Croke Park @ 6pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

We're the main event then. I suppose that Cork fan has a longer journey home than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Confirmed Mayo will play Westmeath GAA in Croke Park on Saturday July 30th at 6pm as part of triple header with Cork & Donegal Seniors & Minors. All roads lead to Dublin!!!!!

Presumably the game will be on SKY with the Cork Donegal game on RTE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,364 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Both games on Sky.

Saturday July 30

GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship Round 4B Qualifiers

Cork v Donegal, Croke Park, 4.00pm (Sky Sports)

Referee: TBC

(ET if necessary)

Westmeath v Mayo, Croke Park, 6.00pm (Sky Sports)

Referee: TBC

(ET if necessary)

http://www.gaa.ie/news/this-weekend-inter-county-gaa-fixture-guide-130568/

We're the main event then. I suppose that Cork fan has a longer journey home than us.

It makes sense to have the Cork vs Donegal double on one after another.

Well that sounds like a great day of football to me regardless of the awkward times. Looking forward to it. :)

• Advertisement

Well that sounds like a great day of football to me regardless of the awkward times. Looking forward to it. :)

It's an absolute balls of a time
    Based in Galway and go by train generally
    Last direct train 530pm
    Last one with 2 stops 730pm

Second time the minors and seniors have been split by a game.

No doubt the quarter final if we make it will be 6pm on the Saturday as well

Last direct train 530pm

QF likely to be 4 or 5 with the Dubs at 6 or 7, then agan we could be playing the Dubs.

Last direct train 530pm

CityLink handy enough though. It's the one bus and route I don't mind taking.

Last direct train 530pm

Yeah it's a bit of a pain for you in that case, but Citylink bus do great services between the two if you are around Galway city itself. Around 23 for a return ticket and there's plenty of late buses back.

EDIT: Literally beaten to it while I was typing it out, damn you PARlance! :pac:

Last direct train 530pm

Its an appalling time for Mayo fans. No trains heading back west unless a number of specials are laid on. The obsession the GAA have with taking these games to Croke Park never ceases to amaze me.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    CityLink handy enough though. It's the one bus and route I don't mind taking.

I should clarify I don't live in Galway city
    I live 40 k outside it . So to get the bus is have to drive 40 minutes or so in the wrong direction and on way back I'd pass where I live on way it I Galway an have to drive back out :D
    And the whole Point would be to enjoy a few pints anyway .
    I'll prob drive the next day and hope we make the quarters and it's on at a more train friendly time

QF likely to be 4 or 5 with the Dubs at 6 or 7, then agan we could be playing the Dubs.

Good point
    Forgot the dubs were on the same day as us no matter what if we make it
    That's not so bad

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good point
    Forgot the dubs were on the same day as us no matter what if we make it
    That's not so bad

And Dublin have NEVER played the first game of a double header..... so we will be 1st if we are not playing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 livelife

Mayo now have an excellent chance of making the final. Would love Galway in the semi final 😉

yop wrote: »
    And Dublin have NEVER played the first game of a double header..... so we will be 1st if we are not playing them.

they will absolutely be the second game. Sure they have to be cos their supporters all work till 6 and wouldn't make it........never mind the culchees who have to travel the width of the country after !
    Anyway hope we make quarter and play Tyrone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

they will absolutely be the second game. Sure they have to be cos their supporters all work till 6 and wouldn't make it........never mind the culchees who have to travel the width of the country after !
    Anyway hope we make quarter and play Tyrone

Dub fans work?

:pac:

livelife wrote: »
    Mayo now have an excellent chance of making the final. Would love Galway in the semi final 😉

Hold the horses! We've an excellent chance of making a QF. Tyrone or Dublin will offer a massive challenge if we beat Westmeath.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

They have as much chance as the other teams. Win next game first.

Mayo are still wide open at the back and no lessons have been learnt it seems. This will be their downfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Tyrone or Dublin would be a fair size obstacle to overcome and that's just to get into a semi-final.

• Advertisement

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Mayo are still wide open at the back and no lessons have been learnt it seems. This will be their downfall.

Well Kildare cleaned them out in midfield on Saturday and got little return for it.

One thing that did impress me was their ability to smother any goal chances Kildare got.

Obviously Kildare ate far from world beaters but it was good to see Mayo do what they did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Well Kildare cleaned them out in midfield on Saturday and got little return for it.

One thing that did impress me was their ability to smother any goal chances Kildare got.

Obviously Kildare ate far from world beaters but it was good to see Mayo do what they did.
    Mayo should start ate-ing nearer to World beaters;);)

blinding wrote: »
    Mayo should start ate-ing nearer to World beaters;);)

The real challenge will come in the last ate.

Transition is where we get really murdered though. Against Kildare i saw our entire half back line scrambling frantically back to help their completely exposed full back line on a couple of occasions. This happens all the time to this Mayo team and the Dubs or Kerry will brutally exploit it. I see the same players with the same defensive issues as they had in 2013.

Our entire gameplan seems to be about freeing up Lee Keegan and/or Colm Boyle off the shoulder. We need to be playing direct ball into our forwards. Even more so against teams who will look to get into a defensive structure quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 livelife

Just putting it out there. We are 1/20 to win against Westmeath. I feel we have better players than Tyrone but they have the better manager. The system is not working, they won't change but if they went back to last years system and played the players in their most effective positions we would beat Tyrone, just like we did in 2013. Yes, I'm overlooking Westmeath, they won't beat us. All pending a Donegal win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Time will tell but the frailties down the middle are deeply concerning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

If i'm not mistaken,he usually stays with his aunty in Dublin,so it shouldn't have made any difference.

gigantic09 wrote: »
    If i'm not mistaken,he usually stays with his aunty in Dublin,so it shouldn't have made any difference.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Transition is where we get really murdered though. Against Kildare i saw our entire half back line scrambling frantically back to help their completely exposed full back line on a couple of occasions. This happens all the time to this Mayo team and the Dubs or Kerry will brutally exploit it. I see the same players with the same defensive issues as they had in 2013.

Our entire gameplan seems to be about freeing up Lee Keegan and/or Colm Boyle off the shoulder. We need to be playing direct ball into our forwards. Even more so against teams who will look to get into a defensive structure quickly.
    To be fair we have not been as open as prior years with Mcloughlin back. I know there is lots of people questioning him in there but we do look a bit more solid with him in there. I hope the extra games may improve Mcloughlin in there and come croke park we will see this move improve us at the back.

I think our biggest problem has been dealing with teams that set up with lots of bodies back. Galway did this and Fermanagh did it. Both caused us issues.

But I agree that direct fast ball is the way to go. When we do this, we look a real dangerous team. I was well impressed with Andy the last day when the direct ball went into him. I think AOS can also offer us alot in FF with this kind of direct ball. Too much pricking around with the ball around midfield just slows the whole game up and gives teams time to get players back.

As far as I see, Kerry and Dublin have issues at the back as well but they have not been tested to-date.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement