Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What worries me about our (possible) meeting with Tyrone is exactly what was mentioned above, our inability to break down a blanket defence while being the far better team.

The league game v them in 2015 is all too fresh in the memory.

I don't rate Tyrone that highly, up and coming yes, and the best we have meet since Galway yes, but I still think Mayo should be beating them most days, they just have to make sure they get over that 15 mann back setup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

What worries me about our (possible) meeting with Tyrone is exactly what was mentioned above, our inability to break down a blanket defence while being the far better team.

I don't rate Tyrone that highly, up and coming yes, and the best we have meet since Galway yes, but I still think Mayo should be beating them most days, they just have to make sure they get over that 15 mann back setup.

I still have nightmares about our naive performance v Tyrone in 2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Peist2007 wrote: »
    I still have nightmares about our naive performance v Tyrone in 2008

They were there for the taking that day....

While accepting the argument about breaking down their defence, our championship record against Tyrone is first class.
    I would give us a better than even money chance if we perform close to our best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Let's for get about Tyrone for awhile we have Westmeath sat week they will be no walk in the park.
    Sos has being poor for awhile now would big Barry get the nod ahead if him it might be the kick in the hole sos nedds

naughto wrote: »
    Let's for get about Tyrone for awhile we have Westmeath sat week they will be no walk in the park.
    Sos has being poor for awhile now would big Barry get the nod ahead if him it might be the kick in the hole sos nedds

I'm sorry but Westmeath should be a walk in the park.

If its not then we are well and truly done and it would be time to blow the whole thing up and start again with the u21s.

Westmeath are at best marginally better than Kildare.
    They should cause Mayo no problems.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but Westmeath should be a walk in the park.

If its not then we are well and truly done and it would be time to blow the whole thing up and start again with the u21s.

Westmeath are at best marginally better than Kildare.
    They should cause Mayo no problems.

I understand that but look what happened us when we played a sh1te Galway team.
    Is there any way we can meet the rossies if they beat Clare would love a crack at them and there bus in Crocker

naughto wrote: »
    I understand that but look what happened us when we played a sh1te Galway team.
    Is there any way we can meet the rossies if they beat Clare would love a crack at them and there bus in Crocker

We can meet the Rossies in a SF if

Roscommon beat Clare
    Mayo beat Westmeath
    Cork beat Donegal
    Mayo are drawn against and beat Dublin
    Roscommon beat Kerry.

Or we can meet them in a final if

Roscommon beat Clare
    Mayo beat Westmeath
    Mayo are draw against and beat Tyrone
    Roscommon beat Kerry
    Roscommon beat Dublin or Cork or Donegal
    Mayo beat Galway or Tipp or Derry

Both suit me fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I agree we don't need to look past Westmeath and I am sure they will put bodies behind the ball as well and make it difficult.They did this against dublin in the first half but they just could not keep the work rate up.
    You would expect Mayo to cut through like they did against Kildare and win it though.

An similar performance to Kildare would be ideal with Midfield working alot better. I hope Parson's is back as he is important for us and he needs a game to get back into the swing of things.

I was delighted for Vaughan to get a crack the last day as this guy is 100% committed. He is not a midfielder though and with Durcan playing well the last day, I can't really see a place for him but this is a good complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I was delighted for Vaughan to get a crack the last day as this guy is 100% committed. He is not a midfielder though and with Durcan playing well the last day, I can't really see a place for him but this is a good complaint.

Good guy to have on the bench, can come on in any central position pretty much...course he won't be happy not starting but he'll hardly do a Conor Mortimer at this stage...

Good guy to have on the bench, can come on in any central position pretty much...course he won't be happy not starting but he'll hardly do a Conor Mortimer at this stage...

I could never see Vaughan doing a "mé féin" like Jacko!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yes we are more than capable of beating Tyrone(historically we do not fear them) but have great difficulty with their 15 men behind the ball setup.We struggled greatly to get over the line against in 2013 semi final and that 2015 league game was the stuff of my worst nightmares.

As Naughto mentioned we were a slam dunk to beat Galway in the Connacht semi final and look what happened there,we should have a confidence in our ability to beat Westmeath but respect them whilst guarding against complacency.

I watched the game back,it truly does give you a totally different perspective on the matters.I'd be a tad happier with aspects of our performance than I was whilst at the game.

However I really unsure of the role that Donal Vaughan was playing...I am now perplexed than ever why Barry Moran was'nt called into the action at a much earlier point in time.It was bizarre to switch Aidan O Shea to full back(I get the logic re the high balls into the big Kildare lad) but we were crying out for a hold in the middle and no sign of Barry Moran entering the action.Seamus O Shea continues to struggle.There could be an argument for starting Barry and a hopefully fit Tom Parsons the next day.Tom is so badly missed.

The struggles at midfield are forcing our hands vis a vis the hazardous short kickouts where we will likely continue to be punished severely.Another black card for the heartbeat of our team that is Colm Boyle and he misses a game.

Aidan O Shea was among the many guilty parties in turning out ball with long handpasses that went astray,our tackling at times was superb and whence most needed.Exemplified by two wonderful examples by Zippy and Diarmuid O Connor.

Re the second half and Kildare's supremacy in possession if not so easily seen on the scoreboard did the lads just switch off knowing the game was in all probability over?Are they holding their reserves for the ample games that may be arriving down the track?I believe Dublin would have racked up a big score,not allow any minute glimmer of hope to the opposition.

The SKY lads made little of the strong wind that was in McHale Park,bizarre.Credit the groundsmen,you know who you are:) I have never seen the pitch looking in better condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I haven't seen many other pitches looking in better condition on that note.

I know that Clarke seems to be the preferred choice on here but I would opt for Hennelly myself. Kickouts are such a part of the game now and I think Robbie holds the upper hand there.

PARlance wrote: »

Its funny I didn't notice it when I was in McHale park, but I watched the highlights on the Sunday game and I did notice how green the grass was and it did look well. Fair play to them!!

News from Hogan Stand is that Parsons, Barrett and Loftus will all be back for the Westmeath game.

Thank God for that.

On the Vaughan at midfield thing, I think it was as much of a saving Barry Moran and finding a place for Vaughan and Durcan as anything else.

Kildare were never going to be world beaters so it was a risk worth taking, I seriously doubt there was much long term goals in it

News from Hogan Stand is that Parsons, Barrett and Loftus will all be back for the Westmeath game.

Thank God for that.

On the Vaughan at midfield thing, I think it was as much of a saving Barry Moran and finding a place for Vaughan and Durcan as anything else.

Kildare were never going to be world beaters so it was a risk worth taking, I seriously doubt there was much long term goals in it

That is great news,we have'nt been exactly blessed on the injuries front since Stephen Rochford undertook his stewardship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PARlance wrote:
    I know that Clarke seems to be the preferred choice on here but I would opt for Hennelly myself. Kickouts are such a part of the game now and I think Robbie holds the upper hand there.

Is the Sligo keeper from Mayo

Stoner wrote: »

FYI

http://extratime.ie/player/1234967/aiden_devaney/

FWIW I think he's a pretty decent keeper with an edge of eccentricity.Even if he was from Mayo I think he would be hard pressed to dislodge David Clarke or Robbie Hennelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

GAA or Soccer? The rovers keeper is from Kiltimagh.

Edit: Sorry I see you meant GAA. The rovers keeper played underage for Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ahh I heard he was born in mayo but his club is in Sligo, must be BS.

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Ahh I heard he was born in mayo but his club is in Sligo, must be BS.

Fintan Ruddy was on their panel last year I'm nearly sure, he played with Mayo.

Fintan Ruddy was on their panel last year I'm nearly sure, he played with Mayo.

He most certainly did many moons ago,he got the majority of his starts in league games.In fact I do not believe he started a championship game.He was blessed with an exceptionally long kick out and could kick a quite decent looking distance free.If I recall he lost his place and then headed off to the land of Oz for a period of time.

I don't think he was on the panel last year.

seligehgit wrote: »
    He most certainly did many moons ago,he got the majority of his starts in league games.In fact I do not believe he started a championship game.He was blessed with an exceptionally long kick out and could kick a quite decent looking distance free.If I recall he lost his place and then headed off to the land of Oz for a period of time.

Quick google says he started the 2003 Connaught Final against Galway. Kick fada champion in 2007.

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2015/07/13/4038893-ruddy-drafted-in-to-sligo-panel/

Same age as Alan Costello, there must have been something in the water in 1983.
    Edit: Think Alan might have been a year younger, remember playing both underage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

seligehgit wrote: »

He was drafted in just before the Connacht final last year.

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2015/07/13/4038893-ruddy-drafted-in-to-sligo-panel/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Seeing as somebody mentioned pitches and to take a break away from senior Mayo teAm.... Why not a few posts about your favourite pitch that you played on in Mayo.

For me it would be achill pitch or maybe belmullet. But achill shades it cos of the scenery. The cars on the hill beeping when achill scores. The pitch was lovely and ideal for fast skilful flowing football in good summer weather. So it never suited the islanders lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Hennelly has had a lot of chances and he has generally come up short, often spectacularly at vital times. He also strikes me as quite individualistic. There is too much ego floating around the mayo team and Clarke is a good experienced guy and a complete team player. His influence is definitely a positive in the starting team.
    Clarke deserves his chance. His kickouts aren't as good, but he is a better all round keeper - which is more important. With virtually every team playing extra men back, kickouts are not as big a deal as they once were - he can just go short.

We have an awful habit of wanting everyone dropped for a single mistake in mayo. Drop hennelly, now drop Clarke, drop Cafferkey, drop Keane etc etc etc. People need to put faith in guys - Clarke 100% deserves his chance, nobody is going to play the perfect game - ever, and frankly, we cant drop everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Hollymount has a lovely ground especially from a spectators point of view imo. Although the playing surface leaves a lot to be desired, can be like a beach at times.

Also there is just something about Garrymore, great venue.

Ballycroy worst I've been at by a distance, maybe I got it on a bad day!

Hennelly has had a lot of chances and he has generally come up short, often spectacularly at vital times. He also strikes me as quite individualistic. There is too much ego floating around the mayo team and Clarke is a good experienced guy and a complete team player. His influence is definitely a positive in the starting team.
    Clarke deserves his chance. His kickouts aren't as good, but he is a better all round keeper - which is more important. With virtually every team playing extra men back, kickouts are not as big a deal as they once were - he can just go short.

We have an awful habit of wanting everyone dropped for a single mistake in mayo. Drop hennelly, now drop Clarke, drop Cafferkey, drop Keane etc etc etc. People need to put faith in guys - Clarke 100% deserves his chance, nobody is going to play the perfect game - ever, and frankly, we cant drop everyone.

I wasn't looking for Clarke to be dropped. I was just saying that I think Hennelly has the upper hand in kicking and that he would be my preference on that basis. I get why Clarke has be picked and why he has his supporters, he's a very good keeper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I wasn't looking for Clarke to be dropped. I was just saying that I think Hennelly has the upper hand in kicking and that he would be my preference on that basis. I get why Clarke has be picked and why he has his supporters, he's a very good keeper.

I would agree that Hennelly is better at kick outs and restarts, I also think he is a first class shot stopper. I think the reason Clarke is getting the nod is because he is more commanding in the square, a "full backs dream" is how I've heard him described. Hennelly suited Horan's style of play and full court press tactic in that he can get the ball restarted quicker.
    Rochford has identified our single biggest weakness in the last 5 years and it's not the lack of scoring forwards as is the want of lazy pundits, its the conceding of goals. He appears willing to concede on Hennellys superior kickout's in favour of Clarke's commanding presence.
    For what it's worth, I like both keeper's, but always feel that had Clarke been in goals in 2013 when the ball came into Brogan for the flick into the net, he would have taken Brogan and the ball out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Rochford said the entire squad will be fit for Westmeath .......it's all coming together nicely at the right time isn't it........

km79 wrote: »
    Rochford said the entire squad will be fit for Westmeath .......it's all coming together nicely at the right time isn't it........

Mayo News reporting yesterday that management would be sweating over his fittness.

Hopefully he will be ok too, could not afford to lose another full back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Have been having a relentlessly mental week with work so only getting around to checking out everything with the draw now. It's good to get back to Croke Park again. Hopefully we'll see more improvement in the next match and some more big performances. Great to see that the injuries are abating, though I still wish we had Caff. I think we badly need Parsons back too. I have no idea what's up with Seamie, but he has not been at his best, imo. Midfield issues need to be sorted asap. Hopefully we'll see some progress in this area next time out.

Mayo News Sport

Good news from the Mayo senior football camp!
    Manager Stephen Rochford told The Mayo News this evening that everyone in the squad is currently available for the Westmeath match on Saturday week — including Kevin Keane.
    The Westport full-back injured his shoulder last weekend against Kildare, but Rochford said that Keane trained last night with the rest of the panel and they expect him to be fine for Croke Park.
    Chris Barrett, Tom Parsons and Conor Loftus also trained so for the first time since he took the job, Stephen Rochford has everyone available for selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 livelife

Was listening to the Mayo news podcast and someone mentioned that Diarmuid O'Connor may be the greatest player to ever play for Mayo.

livelife wrote: »
    Was listening to the Mayo news podcast and someone mentioned that Diarmuid O'Connor may be the greatest player to ever play for Mayo.
    Still very early in his career but not without credibility.

I for one can't think of anyone better at his age.
    I don't think Ciaran Mcdonald was even involved with the county at his age for one reason or another.

We have a couple of guys named on teams of the century/millennium as well who actually won All Irelands up there as well.

Anyway back to modern times, I remember getting chatting to a couple of Tyrone guys a few years back when they were in their pomp.
    I lamented the fact that we've never had a player like Sean Cavanagh that can get hold of the ball and manufacture a score from anywhere on the pitch.

Diarmuid O' Connor is very much that player even at this stage of his career.

• Advertisement

Colm Keys of The Irish Independent said that in years to come we could be looking at him as the greatest Mayo player ever.

Colm Keys of The Irish Independent said that in years to come we could be looking at him as the greatest Mayo player ever.

It will mean shag all to him and us if we have not won Sam by then just look at Mac one of the best players to never win all Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Local media can be way over the top sometimes. Diarmuid is great, one of our most important players currently, but I wish the media wouldn't over do it. He's still only a young guy at the beginning of his senior career. He seems like a sensible fella, but labels like "the greatest ever" can weigh heavily. Look what happened to Joe Canning - labelled with every superlative under the sun while still only a teenager and now he's at a point where he seems to be under immense pressure to pull out show-stopping performances every time he picks up a hurl. It's fine to acknowledge a young player's talent but let's not set them up for a fall by putting them under pressure to live up to impossibly high standards or have them be scrutinized to within an inch of their lives. It's probably asking too much though of the media to suggest they cool their jets though!

PressRun wrote: »
    Local media can be way over the top sometimes. Diarmuid is great, one of our most important players currently, but I wish the media wouldn't over do it. He's still only a young guy at the beginning of his senior career. He seems like a sensible fella, but labels like "the greatest ever" can weigh heavily. Look what happened to Joe Canning - labelled with every superlative under the sun while still only a teenager and now he's at a point where he seems to be under immense pressure to pull out show-stopping performances every time he picks up a hurl. It's fine to acknowledge a young player's talent but let's not set them up for a fall by putting them under pressure to live up to impossibly high standards or have them be scrutinized to within an inch of their lives. It's probably asking too much though of the media to suggest they cool their jets though!

But it was Colm Keys of The Irish Independent that said it, not local media, and he said "in years to come we may see him as the greatest ever Mayo player".

Fair enough it was on a local media podcast and he may have been playing to the crowd but none of the local guys were pushing the theory.

Having watched Diarmuids progression over the last few (short) years, I have to say I would wholeheartedly agree with Colm Keys appraisal. I followed every U21 game this year and his performance against Dublin in Tullamore ranks as one of the greatest individual performances I've ever been lucky enough to witness. Through sheer will of force he dragged and pushed Mayo to an All Ireland U21 title this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Still very early in his career but not without credibility.

I for one can't think of anyone better at his age.
    I don't think Ciaran Mcdonald was even involved with the county at his age for one reason or another.

Ciaran McDonald made his debut in 1994 when he was 19 (or so his Wiki says anyway).

I see McGrath is at it again. Whatever about the penalty and AOS, he seems to forget the one that should have been given that wasn't. He needs to move on.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=258447

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I see McGrath is at it again. Whatever about the penalty and AOS, he seems to forget the one that should have been given that wasn't. He needs to move on.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=258447

Ya its embarrassing, whats worse is the comments from idiots still "Cheat, diver, replay the match, where is kenny now...."

Anyway, they scored 2 points in the 2nd half, we were going to win that game, end of, move on, build a bridge etc. :D

Jippo wrote: »
    Ciaran McDonald made his debut in 1994 when he was 19 (or so his Wiki says anyway).

Didn't he go to America shortly after for a few years?
    I don't think he was involved at all in '96, possibly an unused sub but not certain on that.

I don't think he was involved at all in '96, possibly an unused sub but not certain on that.

Yes I think you are right,I don't have any recollection of him getting any game time in 96,he returned to the fold in a big way in 97.

As has been mentioned on many occasions he was a very modest,shy genius who gave his heart and soul to the Mayo cause and some of the abuse he got off some so called Mayo supporters was nothing short of disgraceful.I love the interview he eventually did on the Second Captains show...The story he told about his one and only day in an office day job was priceful.Ciaran did not need to train as he was a monster of man putting in hard labour every day whilst loving same.

yop wrote: »
    Ya its embarrassing, whats worse is the comments from idiots still "Cheat, diver, replay the match, where is kenny now...."

Anyway, they scored 2 points in the 2nd half, we were going to win that game, end of, move on, build a bridge etc. :D

Ya, Pete should just move on. If there's one thing Mayo do well, it's moving on and not dwelling on previous games.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

McDonald is a proper legend of the game IMO. Nice to have a guy not afraid to be different in a monoculture like the GAA as well.

96 Forwards:
    Horan, Colm Mc, Sheridan
    Dempsey, Casey, Finnerty

Don't think he was on the panel, not sure were he was.

96 Forwards:
    Horan, Colm Mc, Sheridan
    Dempsey, Casey, Finnerty

Don't think he was on the panel, not sure were he was.

AFAIK in 96, Maughan tried to get him to stay but he took off to USA

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement