Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Children options were gone at 9 am when opened . Purchased adults seating only and poor enough locations though . Can't complain as it is looking like a sell out . Have we had quarter final sell outs before ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Very worried after yesterdays display.They just did not play in the second half.
    I am not sure did they think the game was over at half time and decided to take it hand. Rochford was very slow to make changes in my opinion. I would have SOS off as I felt he was not playing well and parsons in. His tackling is off as well. Dillon and freeman offered nothing when they came on. Pace is gone from Dillon as well.

On the positive, look we got the win and I would imagine it could be hard to get really worked up for Westmeath as they would have felt they were always going to win this. Vaughan/Moran played well as did Barrett when he came in. I would prefer Barrett in the corner with Higgins the other side.
    They is no hiding from now on so we are gone if the same display is dished out. I would imagine they should improve a lot and we need to drive in the early ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭cjmc11

Very worried after yesterdays display.They just did not play in the second half.
    I am not sure did they think the game was over at half time and decided to take it hand. Rochford was very slow to make changes in my opinion. I would have SOS off as I felt he was not playing well and parsons in. His tackling is off as well. Dillon and freeman offered nothing when they came on. Pace is gone from Dillon as well.

On the positive, look we got the win and I would imagine it could be hard to get really worked up for Westmeath as they would have felt they were always going to win this. Vaughan/Moran played well as did Barrett when he came in. I would prefer Barrett in the corner with Higgins the other side.
    They is no hiding from now on so we are gone if the same display is dished out. I would imagine they should improve a lot and we need to drive in the early ball.

Very hard to know what to make of yesterday, I don't understand this mentality of taking it easy when you're well in front, mayo should have won that game by 20 points yesterday, in the finish I was just relieved with the win, westmeath also had a fair few wides, a better side would have scored more of these and beaten us yesterday. Tyrone should be red hot favorites and rightly so.
    I'm not a believer in this theory of taking it handy against the weaker teams and then just turning it on against the big teams, I suppose we'll know by this time next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

I'd hold off on the negativity . We've been here before although not at such a later stage of the competition without a game plan .
    The positives for me is that a lot of the players have been and showing good performances at patches . So we know it's there , if motivation is anything the hope is that next week will bring it out . The second positive is that we are scoring goals and reasonably high scores . I'm not going to touch on the obvious negatives . Positives so far

Diarmud ( almost all games)
    Boyle ( all games )
    McLaughlin ( best season since 2012)
    Clarke ( excellent , thought the dead cert goal yesterday was brilliantly held up)
    Higgins ( most games if not all. Wish he was a more scoring threat )
    Regan ( Kildare game very good , might not start next week)
    Cillian looks to be hitting the higher notes after yesterday .
    Keegan ( good spells in most games, needs more of it)
    Harrison was good yesterday
    Andy Moran ( looking like a start and for 50 minutes)
    Barry Moran ( good impact sub )

And we are getting parsons and Barrett back .

All is not bad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Harrison got some nice blocks in alright, I thought Barrett was going to get a black card tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Stoner wrote: »
    Harrison got some nice blocks in alright, I thought Barrett was going to get a black card tbh.

Yeah his one and then the westmeath lad a few mins later probably both should have been but you could argue the they just pulled them back and they went down. Rather than bringing them to ground. Which is just as cynical to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Andy Moran revival as a starting player is the one major positive of the Rochford era so far. Though Vaughan played very well, Andy was man of the match by a distance for me. I think he must start because he sets the tone for the whole forward line. I don't think he faded in the second half just ball didn't go into him. I think the sweeper system is not working and is actually inhibiting the half back line particularly Keegan who is a shadow of himself this summer. If DOC is fit next week it's a 50 50 game and Mayo have big game experience in spades. Im delighted that they didn't win by 16 or 20 points last night because we've seen that movie before and it doesn't have a happy ending. The players know they have the ability but know they must improve and that's the best place an athlete can be heading into the sharp end of a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Stoner wrote: »
    One question for me would be should you start Andy Moran or not. He was great in the first half imo strong, fast hands and mind, then faded out. Twenty minutes to go and it was crying out for an impact sub. Dillon didn't cut it for me , Andy gives a great lift and can make a goal and score a couple of points in the dying 10 minutes. He might be the Mayo Kevin McManamon.
    I think I'd hold onto him for the last 20 minutes that's typically 26 minutes these days and plenty of time to get the most out if him and the momentum he brings.

Andy can be handy as an impact sub and often lifts the team, but sometimes I feel he gets a bit overexcited when he comes on later and the game is in the melting pot. It's almost like he feels he has to come on and win it himself rather than just staying calm and offering an experienced helping hand. The first dublin semifinal last year was a perfect example of him coming on and getting carried away. I think I prefer him starting where he can offer that bit of experience early on rather than coming in and losing the head a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Not worried here. They looked fit and able and imo, were told to relax for second half with the intention of all the subs coming on. Save yourselves for next week. Might have relaxed a bit too much and allowed some easy and painful errors that allowed Westmeath to get the upper hand, with a mad scramble at the end, fantastic. The match had everything, including me nearly on the way to the ambulance :D

I expect that the match next week will be taken a lot more seriously with no let up from the go. 3 O'Shea's warming up nicely (please put one of them in the backs) and with Donal back on form, the team coalescing very nicely with sharp accurate movement and passing, what more could you want than the performance shown in the first half.

Again cant wait.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Can't add too much to what was said. We're still here and for 15 minutes we were superb. Atmosphere was awful and maybe hard to get yourself playing in a graveyard.
    Aos was poor so really should be under threat from his brother or moran. Keane destroyed at full bsck.
    Pluses in Vaughan and conor o shea. Also Andy Moran.
    Let's just wait and see. Kerry were as abject as we were so shows lot of so called big boys are off the pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Looks like the semi-final opposition won't be what I for one was expecting...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I was surprised at how off the pace Alan Dillon was,Alan Freeman offered very little on his introduction.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Andy Moran revival as a starting player is the one major positive of the Rochford era so far. Though Vaughan played very well, Andy was man of the match by a distance for me. I think he must start because he sets the tone for the whole forward line. I don't think he faded in the second half just ball didn't go into him. I think the sweeper system is not working and is actually inhibiting the half back line particularly Keegan who is a shadow of himself this summer. If DOC is fit next week it's a 50 50 game and Mayo have big game experience in spades. Im delighted that they didn't win by 16 or 20 points last night because we've seen that movie before and it doesn't have a happy ending. The players know they have the ability but know they must improve and that's the best place an athlete can be heading into the sharp end of a season.

Could'nt agree more,he was by a distance our most creative force whilst on the pitch and showed well for the ball,tbf so did Cillian.I was surprised Donal Vaughan got MOTM.

Yes the sweeper system is definitely affecting Lee Keegan,in addition to the Kevin McLaughlin and Keith Higgins.Both played very well yesterday but offer so much more without Zippy facing his own goal and Kevin Mc at his most creative in the half forwards.

Speaking of which I think it's a really stupid rule..the award of a penalty for overcarrying in the large rectangle.Opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

seligehgit wrote: »
    Speaking of which I think it's a really stupid rule..the award of a penalty for overcarrying in the large rectangle.Opinions?

Was it not for playing the ball outside the square

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

naughto wrote: »
    Was it not for playing the ball outside the square

Commentary said it was for steps, won't be seen too often in any event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Keeper was also touched twice in the small square which is an automatic free out or it used to be anyway. I didn't realise overcarrying was a peaty thought it would be a 13 meter free.

Email about season ticket seating for next week
    Your county will once again take to the field in the GAA Football All Ireland Senior Championship Quarter Final at Croke Park on Saturday August 6th.

Fixture Details:
    All Ireland Junior Final- Mayo v Kerry 2pm
    Quarter Finals:
    Tyrone v Mayo 4pm
    Dublin v Donegal 6pm

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:

The Bring A Friend option will not be available.
    Tickets will be allocated to Season Ticket Holders on a random basis in sections 302 - 309. (Due to the large number of Season Ticket holders involved in the fixture).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

On the sweeper system not working, if it os not working why are they are persisting with it.

Are they trying to make it work, is it getting any better, or is it actually working ?

McLaughlin has been off form for a few years but from what I have seen in the Fermanagh and Kildare games hes back to makiya far bigger contribution than previously.

Also how many times have they been caught out at the back like they have been in previous years without any type of sweeper or attempted sweeper?

That's an honest question by the way cos I'm not sure.

Oldtree wrote: »
    Email about season ticket seating for next week

Where getting shafted again with the season tickets the dubs season tickets are the same but where getting moved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Where getting shafted again with the season tickets the dubs season tickets are the same but where getting moved

What seat did you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Galway are the new team in Connaught now. The crown has been passed over. Lets hope we slip out by a few points in the next round, and not make a holy show of ourselves in the quarter final a la Mayo.

Hard luck to YE today ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

yop wrote: »
    Atmosphere was awful and maybe hard to get yourself playing in a graveyard.

What do you do though to rectify that?.Only a handful of counties turn out en mass to support their team.Tipp are in an all Ireland semi final and draw as much support as a cake sale for recovering paedophiles.Westmeath support was pathetic and they were ony an Hour and a half up the road from croke park.Cork dont seem to recognize any event that Isn't held in cork and even then they are indecisive.I definitely think it's time to put those final qualifiers as stand alone fixtures in home/away venues.Double headers dont work and its time for the Gaa to recognize this.

cocoman wrote: »
    What seat did you get?

Can't see that we've been allocated our seats thus far...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Tyrone will test sweeper system to the hilt. The preparation and ground work that has been invested in this in the games to date will determine if it can succeed or not.

I am not convinced if McLoughlin is a defense minded sweeper. He does interchange with Boyler who is a good holding presence and can read the game well. A key requirement.

The one thing I like in Keith Higgins is that he is reasonable sound with the ball in contact and difficult to dispossess. With a blanket/zonal defense he has ability to probe and burst through. Yesterday's game wasn't his best by his own standards and willing to reserve judgement on his forward role till after Tyrone.

Momentum building and Tyrone rightly favourites.

Anyone know if more tickets will be released during the week?

Didn't o'connor score 3 points from play? Thought yesterday was one of his better displays this year so perhaps a tad harsh to say he was off colour.

In hindsight I may have been a tad harsh he showed well in general play but is definitely lacking in confidence in terms of his free taking.He is below par this season,his free taking in past seasons has been of an exceptionally high standard.I'm going to watch the game back after The Sunday Game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

finisklin wrote: »
    Tyrone will test sweeper system to the hilt. The preparation and ground work that has been invested in this in the games to date will determine if it can succeed or not.

I am not convinced if McLoughlin is a defense minded sweeper. He does interchange with Boyler who is a good holding presence and can read the game well. A key requirement.

The one thing I like in Keith Higgins is that he is reasonable sound with the ball in contact and difficult to dispossess. With a blanket/zonal defense he has ability to probe and burst through. Yesterday's game wasn't his best by his own standards and willing to reserve judgement on his forward role till after Tyrone.

Momentum building and Tyrone rightly favourites.

Not sure about tickets. Season ticket holders will take up a fairly big allocation.
    Keep an eye on tickets.ie in the next few days. Might be worth checking a few of the Supervalue shops tomorrow aswell.

more from that email, but who would want to sit in the upper CS?
    Dublin Upper Tier Season Ticket holders will be seated in the Upper Cusack Stand as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

more from that email, but who would want to sit in the upper CS?

Great view from the upper tiers in croker; can really appreciate the space and movement do much more.

finisklin wrote: »

There may be a few opt outs taken up by season ticket holders, and those tickets then released, and from the email it would look like they'll know the opt outs by tuesday @ 1pm
    We will be processing payments and allocating your ticket(s) on Tuesday August 2nd and you will then be able to log in to your account and print off your match ticket(s) from 1pm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

gigantic09 wrote: »
    What do you do though to rectify that?.Only a handful of counties turn out en mass to support their team.Tipp are in an all Ireland semi final and draw as much support as a cake sale for recovering paedophiles.Westmeath support was pathetic and they were ony an Hour and a half up the road from croke park.Cork dont seem to recognize any event that Isn't held in cork and even then they are indecisive.I definitely think it's time to put those final qualifiers as stand alone fixtures in home/away venues.Double headers dont work and its time for the Gaa to recognize this.

You play them in Limerick, them 2 games (I think) would have fitted in Limerick.
    Or else have the 2nd game in Limerick and the 1st in Thurles.
    If the Hyde was any good other than a soakpit we could have played Westmeath.

They are inflicting unneeded expense on fans.

As for Galway, they should have lost by another 10-15 points. Their peak was against us, that will have put them back a good bit today.

There may be a few opt outs taken up by season ticket holders, and those tickets then released, and from the email it would look like they'll know the opt outs by tuesday @ 1pm

TBH Oldtree I doubt there'll be too many.

TBH Oldtree I doubt there'll be too many.
    = a few :D, just spreading hope :p

yop wrote: »
    As for Galway, they should have lost by another 10-15 points. Their peak was against us,

on a bad day for us it has to be said, I was hoping to get them later on to rectify that.

David Gough (Meath) will referee Mayo V Tyrone.Pretty decent referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Is there any word on D o Connor. Will he be ok for next Saturday...also good luck to minors today.cathal horan a big loss today as he received a broken jaw in a challenge match v cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Is today's minor game on tv or radio?

Is today's minor game on tv or radio?

Mid west radio as far as I no.

eastmayo wrote: »
    Is there any word on D o Connor. Will he be ok for next Saturday...also good luck to minors today.cathal horan a big loss today as he received a broken jaw in a challenge match v cork.

Have heard conflicting information about Diarmuid, some saying nothing was wrong with him at all and he was just being rested, others saying the dead leg stuff. Haven't been home in a few days so can't totally confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Does anyone know when the GAA is taking money from season tickets holders accounts for Saturday?

Does anyone know when the GAA is taking money from season tickets holders accounts for Saturday?

Money been taking tomorrow morning and you will be able to print off from 1 o clock.

PressRun wrote: »
    Have heard conflicting information about Diarmuid, some saying nothing was wrong with him at all and he was just being rested, others saying the dead leg stuff. Haven't been home in a few days so can't totally confirm.

It would be a nice luxury if the management had decided to rest Diarmuid.The dead leg would be a nice cover story,it would have looked disrespectful and given Westmeath lots of ammunition/motivation if that story got out.

It would be a nice luxury if the management had decided to rest Diarmuid.The dead leg would be a nice cover story,it would have looked disrespectful and given Westmeath lots of ammunition/motivation if that story got out.

Most definitely. Diarmuid has played a lot of football this year though, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did decide to give him a break and just didn't want to say it. Hopefully, whatever the actual story is with him, it's not serious anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yes can you imagine how Galway would look now if they had decided to rest Damian Comer 'ahead of the semi-final'...

There is only updates of the minor match on MWR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

There is only updates of the minor match on MWR.

**** sake. Is there nowhere to hear it?

Dead leg happened at the Kildare game is what I was told yesterday in the Crok park hotel by his brother

Dead leg happened at the Kildare game is what I was told yesterday in the Crok park hotel by his brother

Should be ok for Saturday then hopefully

Sorry there appears to be commentary on MWR atm lads... Just updates Johnny Maughan had been blackcarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'm pretty sure I know the incident it happened in as well!
    I commented at the time that he is so brave BUT that sometimes he goes for a ball in a way that leaves him very open to heavy knocks and injuries ......

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement