Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

cjmc11 wrote: »
    Just had a look there at croke park seating plan, section 734 is 3 sections away from the hill end, was closer to the hill end on the upper Hogan at the 1st semi final last year and thought the seats were good, these should be even better. Glad to have them sorted now.

I was in 734 for the Kerry-Tyrone SF last year and they are decent seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Whats peoples predictions for saturday? I reckon mayo will beat tyrone by a few points. Tyrone are favourites, and im not entirely sure why. They beat donegal in a stinker of a game, and very low scoreline. I reckon mayo will out perform them on the day. I reckon Andy will start, would be good for barry to start too, along with diarmuid, and parsons, Conor o shea should start too, even ahead of Aiden or Seamus. I think we with all those guys available, then we should take control of the game early on. Just need to ensure we know when to take andy off - half time might be ideal

Tyrone by the odd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Tyrone by 3, better forwards will tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Squatman wrote: »
    Whats peoples predictions for saturday? I reckon mayo will beat tyrone by a few points. Tyrone are favourites, and im not entirely sure why. They beat donegal in a stinker of a game, and very low scoreline. I reckon mayo will out perform them on the day. I reckon Andy will start, would be good for barry to start too, along with diarmuid, and parsons, Conor o shea should start too, even ahead of Aiden or Seamus. I think we with all those guys available, then we should take control of the game early on. Just need to ensure we know when to take andy off - half time might be ideal

You're really not sure why?

We won Ulster beating Donegal, stinker of a game or not we won it, we've beat Derry and Cavan by big scores.

Mayo on the other hand got beat by Galway who struggled in a stinker of a first connaught final and got their arses handed to them by Tipp. You needed a dive to beat Fermanagh, beat Kildare handy enough in C'bar and then were run close enough by Westmeath before you pulled away at the end.

There's not a pile between the teams and I'm not saying Tyrone will win for sure by any means but it's pretty obvious why we're favourites, no?

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    You're really not sure why?

We won Ulster beating Donegal, stinker of a game or not we won it, we've beat Derry and Cavan by big scores.

Mayo on the other hand got beat by Galway who struggled in a stinker of a first connaught final and got their arses handed to them by Tipp. You needed a dive to beat Fermanagh, beat Kildare handy enough in C'bar and then were run close enough by Westmeath before you pulled away at the end.

There's not a pile between the teams and I'm not saying Tyrone will win for sure by any means but it's pretty obvious why we're favourites, no?

No it's not cos you're all northern...

No it's not cos you;'re all northern...

A good point well made. :)

A good point well made. :)

Down there for dancing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Jayop wrote:
    I would have taken your point only for that nonsense about the dive being dragged up. Rich coming from Tyrone

I would have taken your point only for that nonsense about the dive being dragged up. Rich coming from Tyrone

Aye the oul "no fair you did it first" argument. Classic.

Can ye not just take it, that turned the game in your favour, a game ye were rubbish in.

Whatever about Tiernan McCann, at least his hands were thrown up.

To apologise that is, not to swan lake it onto the turf.

• Advertisement

Is it? When did a Tyrone player dive for a penalty to win a game, let alone a game against a much lower division team?

Blah blah blah Mccann, Cavanagh. So tired tbh. Cavanagh has a reputation for diving that is a complete fabrication. McCann dived once and he got absolutely annihilated for it. Even that dive was after a player tried to provoke him to strike out to get McCann sent off. Rather than thump him McCann dived, he shouldn't have but he was a young lad and he's admitted it was a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Tyrone are favourites based on more consistent recent form. But who cares anyway? The favourites tag often weighs a bit heavily in Mayo, historically speaking, and we sometimes can surprise people when written off. If Tyrone are being named as the heirs apparent to Dublin's throne, let them off. I don't think we need that kind expectation on us, frankly.

As for what will actually happen on Saturday, I haven't a clue. I'm just hopeful rather than optimisitc. I think we'll have to be on our toes from the get-go though as I think Tyrone will go for goals early on.

PressRun wrote: »
    Tyrone are favourites based on more consistent recent form. But who cares anyway? The favourites tag often weighs a bit heavily in Mayo, historically speaking, and we sometimes can surprise people when written off. If Tyrone are being named as the heirs apparent to Dublin's throne, let them off. I don't think we need that kind expectation on us, frankly.

As for what will actually happen on Saturday, I haven't a clue. I'm just hopeful rather than optimisitc. I think we'll have to be on our toes from the get-go though as I think Tyrone will go for goals early on.

Nah, I think we're being named as Kerry or yourselves heir apparent as the time most likely to give Dublin a decent game. No one is predicting a Dublin demise in the short term.

As good and all as they are you lot ran them fierce close last year so they can be got at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Is it? When did a Tyrone player dive for a penalty to win a game, let alone a game against a much lower division team?

Blah blah blah Mccann, Cavanagh. So tired tbh. Cavanagh has a reputation for diving that is a complete fabrication. McCann dived once and he got absolutely annihilated for it. Even that dive was after a player tried to provoke him to strike out to get McCann sent off. Rather than thump him McCann dived, he shouldn't have but he was a young lad and he's admitted it was a mistake.

My point exactly.

My point exactly.

You see there's a difference but I know it's hard to see it when it's your own county involved. We all fall into that trap. Cavanagh doesn't dive so that's one difference and Mccann dived once a year ago and has said it was wrong. Your man dived this year and still denies it.

Anyway, in the context of me explaining why Tyrone were slight favourites for this game the O'Shea one was relevant to mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

I don't give two f1ucks if the whole team dives on sat if it means us winning. For two long we have being far two nice to the opposition

Ricey and David Brady are gonna be on OTB after 830 to talk about 2004 SF.

naughto wrote: »
    I don't give two f1ucks if the whole team dives on sat if it means us winning. For two long we have being far two nice to the opposition

I don't remember ye being too nice to us when we've met in the championship before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I don't remember ye being too nice to us when we've met in the championship before.

We'll be nice if ye can leave Cillians arm attached to his shoulder until at least halftime. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

. Tyrone are favourites and rightly so .also if Mayo perform to the standards of last August 12 months then I can't see Tyrone matching them .
    That's the conundrum Tyrone are faced with . What Mayo team are going to turn up . If I was the opposition I wouldn't like thT situation at all .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

. Tyrone are favourites and rightly so .also if Mayo perform to the standards of last August 12 months then I can't see Tyrone matching them .
    That's the conundrum Tyrone are faced with . What Mayo team are going to turn up . If I was the opposition I wouldn't like thT situation at all .

Well the conundrum that Mayo are faced with is can they perform to the standard to 12 months ago.

Heart says hopefully, head says maybe not.

The thing is that since they beat Cork in 2011 we have always known how this Mayo team were going to perform, and they always performed well, even the games they lost in those years it was never without a fight.

This year we have no clue, we would like to think they are still the tip top team they have been every August, but we have feck all to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Well the conundrum that Mayo are faced with is can they perform to the standard to 12 months ago.

Yep if they can they'll beat Tyrone imo even with Tyrones improvements.

This is like that Andy Moran bs from 2013

Everybody said Mayo would beat Dublin if Andy Moran was fit but since he wasn't then Dublin would win. That got very tired. Easy lazy stuff.
    I still think Mayo will win. Tyrone might know the whole defensive system very well but wait till they meet the best tackling full forward line in the country in behind their sweeper/s DOC will need to show up for some corner forward scores. AOS in full forward.
    Harte will be happy Tom Cunniffe isn't around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I really hope Mayo have a right go at Tyrone and we give a proper 70 + mins. We have had issues with defensive teams so far from Galway to Fermanagh. Tyrone and Donegal are on another level as they pull everyone back and hit faster on the break.

We have the quality, we just need the performance. I am starting to feel a bit more confident after last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

I really hope Mayo have a right go at Tyrone and we give a proper 70 + mins. We have had issues with defensive teams so far from Galway to Fermanagh. Tyrone and Donegal are on another level as they pull everyone back and hit faster on the break.

We have the quality, we just need the performance. I am starting to feel a bit more confident after last weekend.

I'd be of the same thinking. When we've got going for patches we've torn teams apart, so the ability is there; no question.

If they can't put it together for a bit longer against Tyrone, we won't need to worry about Tipp or anyone else. Although I don't think Tyrone are as good as most are giving them credit for, Mayo need more than 15/20 mins of top football to beat them.

I'm optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Stoner wrote: »
    AOS in full forward.

I'd be a little bit concerned about stationing AOS in FF. One benefit to having him in there is that he seems to be like a magnet for defenders which might offer a little more freedom and space to the likes of Evan Regan (who I think runs a real possibility of being completely stifled and bullied out of it on Saturday, if he starts). I still feel, however, that Mickey Harte will be fully prepared for the possibility of AOS going forward and will have a plan to nullify his impact. I'd also see the likes of Ronan McNamee relishing the challenge of taking on AOS too, tbh.
    Stoner wrote: »
    Harte will be happy Tom Cunniffe isn't around

I was on the phone to my dad earlier and actually was saying it would be handy to have Tom Cunniffe around now to take care of Harte.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

i hope mayo put in the performance we have been waiting for all year but i just can't buy into the tactics and position changes we have introduced this year.
    I know most counties are resorting to packing midfield and the half back position with nearly every man, when the opposition attacks but i think mayo are at their strongest when we play football with the likes of higgins, keegan,durkan and vaughan tearing up the pitch with direct running.

Same applies when AOS was in midfield. few teams could live with such driving runs from them lads.
    The last couple of years this has changed with taking AOS strengths away and leaving him in full forward where he is static and even though still strong not as effective from a standing position waiting for high ball. He is a passenger in alot of the games this year at too many stages in a game.

Vaughan looks confident again and in fairness played well the last day but is no midfielder so should be put back into old position.
    Higgins is one of best backs in country so play him there. Parsons def should start in midfield and while barry moran deserves a start he is great man to bring off the bench. Mcclough doesnt convince at all as sweeper even tho he has improved in role. If need the sweeper den possibly higgins or barry moran like last year against dubs could do decent job when backs against the wall.

When ya see tipp release the shackles and drive at teams with pace and directness, it shows few teams can handle that style and i think we hav the men to do similar and play like we did up 2 years ago. We slow the play too much now and when ya see Tyrone bringin everyone behind the ball we could struggle to break dem down like we hav the last 2 league outings with dem. Moving ball quickly is only way against dem before they get everyone back.

ANYWAYS looking forward to the game big style!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

PressRun wrote: »
    One benefit to having him in there is that he seems to be like a magnet for defenders which might offer a little more freedom and space to the likes of Evan Regan (who I think runs a real possibility of being completely stifled and bullied out of it on Saturday, if he starts).

I agree that AOS is a defender magnet but I would like to see him as a corner forward some day rather than a full forward so that the defense would be drawn away from infront of the goal. Think it would really open the goal area up for a lot of goal chances and easy points.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

seligehgit wrote: »
    The lads over on the Dublin thread have gladdened my heart,of course we're well out of harm's way in relation to any rain threat.I believe the forecast is good for Saturday.

Weather forecast for Saturday is good,19-25 degrees!Rain forecast for Saturday night,presuming same is arriving overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

At least it got the thread going a bit was far two quite. We can all be friends but come 4 o'clock sat that will all change.
    Have to say anytime we did play the red hands I always found there supporte to be spot on and up for the craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Aiden at full forward is a must . If your going to pump in fast ball you st least need a target that can retain possession with 2 defenders on him . I'd probably have Vaughan a centre half forward . Cillian Andy diarmud and Jason Doherty making up the rest of the attacking line up.
    Mid field tom and Seamus .
    Centre half Keenan Boyle and durcan .
    Sweeper I'm sad to say is badly needed due to keanes lack of pace . Harrison and Higgins .

That defence would be good enough . The forwards are more balanced and natural forwards .

naughto wrote: »
    At least it got the thread going a bit was far two quite. We can all be friends but come 4 o'clock sat that will all change.
    Have to say anytime we did play the red hands I always found there supporte to be spot on and up for the craic
    Yes I attended the 89 semi final,2004 quarter final and 2013 semi final and found the red hand supporters sound out.

Oh and I forgot that less than glorious qualifier in 2008 in the midst of John O Mahony's second coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

maximus15 wrote: »
    i hope mayo put in the performance we have been waiting for all year but i just can't buy into the tactics and position changes we have introduced this year.
    I know most counties are resorting to packing midfield and the half back position with nearly every man, when the opposition attacks but i think mayo are at their strongest when we play football with the likes of higgins, keegan,durkan and vaughan tearing up the pitch with direct running.

Same applies when AOS was in midfield. few teams could live with such driving runs from them lads.
    The last couple of years this has changed with taking AOS strengths away and leaving him in full forward where he is static and even though still strong not as effective from a standing position waiting for high ball. He is a passenger in alot of the games this year at too many stages in a game.

Vaughan looks confident again and in fairness played well the last day but is no midfielder so should be put back into old position.
    Higgins is one of best backs in country so play him there. Parsons def should start in midfield and while barry moran deserves a start he is great man to bring off the bench. Mcclough doesnt convince at all as sweeper even tho he has improved in role. If need the sweeper den possibly higgins or barry moran like last year against dubs could do decent job when backs against the wall.

When ya see tipp release the shackles and drive at teams with pace and directness, it shows few teams can handle that style and i think we hav the men to do similar and play like we did up 2 years ago. We slow the play too much now and when ya see Tyrone bringin everyone behind the ball we could struggle to break dem down like we hav the last 2 league outings with dem. Moving ball quickly is only way against dem before they get everyone back.

ANYWAYS looking forward to the game big style!!!

Strongest or strongest going forward? Half backs raiding up the pitch is fine but against these defensive counter attacking sides you're gonna concede a score. That's what's been killing Mayo, hence the necessary change.

Also, AOS is a liability tracking back. Time and again he's seen running in quicksand as his man scoots away from him. Its happening with increasing regularity unfortunately. He can make a really threatening forward (if used right) or a decent defensive midfielder but relying on him to do both isn't working for him. And he does seem to be doing both in games. Periods in midfield, periods as a target man for eg.

If half backs all bomb on against a side like Tyrone you better make sure you either score or put it wide because if we turn a half back over that's when we're most likely to get a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Aiden at full forward is a must . If your going to pump in fast ball you st least need a target that can retain possession with 2 defenders on him . I'd probably have Vaughan a centre half forward . Cillian Andy diarmud and Jason Doherty making up the rest of the attacking line up.
    Mid field tom and Seamus .
    Centre half Keenan Boyle and durcan .
    Sweeper I'm sad to say is badly needed due to keanes lack of pace . Harrison and Higgins .

That defence would be good enough . The forwards are more balanced and natural forwards .

So who is the sweeper? Generally, it is one of the forwards who sweeps back. If you have O'Shea, Vaughan, COC, DOC, Moran and Doherty in the forwards - which one is going to be the sweeper. And you're leaving out Kevin McLoughlin. I think you're going to need to do a bit more homework.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Oh and I forgot that less than glorious qualifier in 2008 in the midst of John O Mahony's second coming.

We should have won that game.

We should have won that game.

Pretty awful game,we quite possibly should have won it but we were going nowhere fast.Who would have imagined Tyrone as all Ireland champion's that year?It just shows one how the rate of a team's progress throughout a championship can change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Pretty awful game,we quite possibly should have won it but we were going nowhere fast.Who would have imagined Tyrone as all Ireland champion's that year?It just shows one how the rate of a team's progress throughout a championship can change!

Ryan McMenamin in a recent article said Mayos stumbling through the qualifiers reminded him of Tyrone in 08 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Ryan McMenamin in a recent article said Mayos stumbling through the qualifiers reminded him of Tyrone in 08 :)

Tomas o se said the same about 2009 when they nearly got beat by Antrim and Sligo !

Great article on Tom Parsons home club Charlestown Sarsfields.

http://www.gaa.ie/football/news/club-tom-parsons-charlestown-sarsfields/

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Tomas o se said the same about 2009 when they nearly got beat by Antrim and Sligo !

You bad to go and remind me of that Sligo result. Eugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

I know chris barrett is only back but for me i think he should start at corner back the next day. (depending on how fit he is that is) He's a tigerish & tight defender and we need someone like him especially for this type of game. Himself and brendan harrison in the other corner would be my choice corner backs. Without really knowing where his fitness is at though its hard to say but he didnt seem too far off the pace last weekend and would be worth it i think.
    Bit Worried about kevin keane. He got the runaround last weekend and i think he's in for an even tougher day out this weekend, i think he's more suited to the more physical type forward than a nippy forward.
    Parsons, although only on the pitch for a short enough period last weekend looked like he's fit and ready to go. Would he mark mattie donnelly?
    Barry a great player to bring on and steady the ship by catching a few balls, but don't think he'd last the pace of a full game. Something tells me seamie is on for a big match this weekend!
    Donie vaughan, was brilliant last weekend and seems to have gotten the form back over the last two games; but as someone else said he's not a midfielder, i dont think he's an out and out back either. Fantastic going forward but i feel he lacks when it comes to defensive duties. Playing him around the half forwards/midfield area to get on the breaks and break forward at pace suits best imo. Will tyrone swarm midfield? I reckon they will. Going to be a battle for possesion round there.
    Evan regan is in for a tough time this weekend i'd imagine also. Hopefully he makes me eat my words and has a fantastic game but i'd be a bit aprehensive about him against these tyrone backs, same for andy. I reckon the tyrone defense are just going to swallow him up.
    As for aido, on his day nobody can stop him but where is he going to be played? Surely he'll have at least 3 tyrone lads hanging out of him..
    I'm thinking we're going to need a few long distance scores on sat from the likes of the two o'connors and jason doc.
    It all makes for a very interesting game!

unchanged team named .......

unchanged team named .......

Oh dear no Diarmuid.:(

Oh dear no Diarmuid.:(

I wouldn't count on that ;)

oops sorry Tyrone have named an unchanged team
    ours being named tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Jesus man don't scare us like that! Thought DOC was still hurt for a minute.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Jesus man don't scare us like that! Thought DOC was still hurt for a minute.

don't be a bit surprised if the mayo team is named as unchanged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

don't be a bit surprised if the mayo team is named as unchanged

I won't be but surely DOC will come in if fit anyway, even if it's a change made the day of the game.

Ah km79 I was frantically looking up the Mayo GAA website and Twitter accounts and it was mentioned that there was going to be no team announced until tomorrow.;)

Anyhow I don't know why I'm getting more optimistic as Saturday approaches as it's illogical based on form.Maybe it's a blind act of faith,the anticipation.But in fact it's none of the above,it's the knowledge that our lads are capable of so much more!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement