Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

km79 wrote: »
    unchanged team named .......
    seligehgit wrote: »
    Oh dear no Diarmuid.:(

For what it's worth, I reckon we might name an unchanged side tomorrow night too. But that doesn't mean Diarmuid won't be lining out when the time comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Horan on OTB reckons he won't start anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 030802

Hey lads. I've a lower Hogan ticket going spare, section 328. PM if interested....Prefer to sell to Mayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭cjmc11

Looks like it's turning into a bit like the semi final replay last year, there will be plenty of people left with spare tickets after all the panic early on in the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

DOC has to start provided he is fit. The best man in the game to take the ball down the wing at speed and has real belief in what he is doing.

AOS at FF would be ideal with nice fast ball into him playing over the defensive crack Tyrone will be at on saturday. If he is doubled marked then COC and Andy need to up their game and act like hyenas.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

Some history on Mayo and Tyrone in the championship.

http://mayoclub51.com/mayo-v-tyrone-history/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

A qualifier is part of the all Ireland series according to the GAA website.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

All hope of a Mayo win is based on too many 'what ifs' to think it will be anything other than a Tyrone win by a few points..

Against mid tier opponents in this years championship so far Mayo have:

- questions about the full back line
    - midfield barely breaking even
    - dont seem to have a game plan that can be effectively executed for more than 15 minutes out of 70 (unless part of the gameplan is 'dont play for the first 25 and last 25 minutes of a match')
    - key players not having an adequate influence on games over 70 minutes
    - too much taking the ball into contact

in a tight match (which I think it will be as tyrone will probably be happy to keep their noses in front) i think tyrone might have a bit more of the dog in them than mayo on the home run.

I sincerely hope i'm wrong and that mayo have been hiding their light under a bushel for the past three months...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Mayo are too much of a jkyll and hyde outfit this year. From the fbd and league games I went to see this year. They were terrible. Even the game against down they were bad. Back passing constantly. Even frees around the 45 line were back passed.

There has been nothing this year in the championship to show that they can step it up. It's with heavy heart I predict a Tyrone win. But like anything you never know on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Every mayo supporter with doubts should listen to the newstalk podcast from last night with Dick Clerkin and James Horan
    Saying what I've believed all along ;)
    One thing i did find funny though was Hioran saying mayo management will need to be able to react in game tactically "on the fly" .......if only he had been able to do the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

As the last couple of posters have said there is nothing or at least very little from Mayo in 2016 to suggest that they are at the same level as they have been for the past 5 years.

I personally was very quick to right off other teams who made quarter finals in the past few years with similar form coming into the game.

But cos its Mayo I hold out hope.

A 2016 version of the "startled earwigs" would be nice.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/we-were-like-startled-earwigs-says-gilroy-1.712627

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Every mayo supporter with doubts should listen to the newstalk podcast from last night with Dick Clerkin and James Horan
    One thing i did find funny though was Hioran saying mayo management will need to be able to react in game tactically "on the fly" .......if only he had been able to do the same

Yes it was a good podcast,100% agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

What did they say? That it's all been an act and they're the best they ever been??

What did they say? That it's all been an act and they're the best they ever been??
    No
    Listen to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

No
    Listen to it

Can't, but thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I can't see any improvement on our last two outings unfortunately. We'll be up by about 10 points at half-time and will win in second gear by about four points. Not good enough.

I'm swinging between feeling like it'll be close and feeling like we could get a trimming. I've been having flashbacks to our game against Donegal in 2013. That year we were the fitter, faster, hungrier team and Tyrone remind me a little of that this year, while we bear a vague resemblance to Donegal.

Then I think about the massive performances we've put in at Croke Park and how we haven't gone down without a fight over the last couple of years, and I start to feel like it'll at least be a close run thing.

Still can only muster hope rather than optimism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Some one ring turbo he's always cleaned up against the red hands

PressRun wrote: »
    I'm swinging between feeling like it'll be close and feeling like we could get a trimming. I've been having flashbacks to our game against Donegal in 2013. That year we were the fitter, faster, hungrier team and Tyrone remind me a little of that this year, while we bear a vague resemblance to Donegal.

Then I think about the massive performances we've put in at Croke Park and how we haven't gone down without a fight over the last couple of years, and I start to feel like it'll at least be a close run thing.

Still can only muster hope rather than optimism.

It's as simple as this as far as I can see. If we both play as well as we have done this season or there abouts Tyrone will win by a few. If Mayo play like they did against Dublin last year then we'll have our work cut out for us.

It's very hard to predict, as I said Tyrone are rightly slight favorites but that's based on what we know and not what could happen which in football tends to be what happens.

The Mayo Junior team have made it back to a second consecutive All Ireland Junior final and just like last year they will face Kerry GAA in the final on Saturday in Croke Park.

Following a semi-final win over Wexford two weeks ago manager Sean McLoughlin makes just two changes to his starting team with Michael Togher and Conor Keane replacing Gary Keane and Ronan Mallee. The team is once again captained by Andrew Farrell.

The Mayo team for Saturday's Junior All Ireland final against Kerry in Croke Park at 2pm is:

1. Mattie Flanagan (Balla)
    2. Eddie Doran (Achill)
    3. Niall Freeman (Aghamore)
    4. Eoin O’Donoghue (Belmullet)
    5. Barry Duffy (Balla)
    6. James Kelly (Belmullet)
    7. Jason Forkan (Kiltimagh)
    8. Michael Togher (Belmullet)
    9. Peter Collins (Islandeady)
    10. Brian Reape (Moy Davitts)
    11. Michael Forde (Ballycastle)
    12. Kevin Gibbons (Louisburgh)
    13. Darren Coen (Hollymount/Carramore)
    14. Andrew Farrell (Killala, Captain)
    15. Conor Keane (Hollymount/Carramore)

16. Keith Hennelly (The Neale)
    17. Sean Gaughan (Belmullet)
    18. Ronan Mallee (Kiltimagh)
    19. Gary Keane (Westport)
    20. Robert Holian (The Neale)
    21. Ronan Doherty (Ardnaree Sarsfield)
    22. Barry Leonard (Lahardane)
    23. Shroze Akram (Ballaghadeeren)
    24. Padraig Feerick (Hollymount/Carramore)

Manager: Sean McLoughlin
    Maor Faoime: Padraic Costello
    Selector: Frank McHale
    Selector: John Gilmore
    Medic: David Walsh

• Advertisement

Yes it was a good podcast,100% agree.

Clerkin is full of it though tbf. He's slabbering a load about what's been said about Tyrone and none of it was said. No one has said we're going to beat Dublin, they said we could possibly be the team to give them a game. He's saying we've done nothing on a national scale in the last 12 month Vs Mayo, we've won one provincial and got to an AI Semi final, Mayo got to a semifinal and have no AI.

He's a bitter wee bunny tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

I have a pair of upper hogan together if anyone wants them at face value. Pm me . Will be in Dublin tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

statto25 wrote: »

Same team named as the last day isn't it ?
    So may well not be the team that starts

Same team named as the last day isn't it ?
    So may well not be the team that starts

Balls, it is. Cancel the excitement so. Hopefully hes fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Excitement building nicely.

Early start in the morning as traffic will be mental.

DOC back in so light there.

I liked Malachy Clerkin's piece in times about Mayo's grimly competence.

This is where we wanted to be at this stage of the championship - a quarter final and with an opportunity to progress.

Plus unusual for Tyrone to be favourites which doesn't suit their siege mentality.

Looking forward to O'Shea proving that he has the steel to deliver. This is his stage. Will be watching with intrigue on the Higgins and McLoughlin sweeper debate.

Will Andy unlock the blanket defence? How much time will Parsons get?

Excitement building and bubbling.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

I really hope someone is gonna be here tomorrow night and say "I told you so". Head says Tyrone and heart says my beloved Mayo.

We have struggled so much all year, both individual and team performances (or lack of). I know there is a big game in every team in every year (Tyrone 08 and Kerry 09) but sometimes I think this team have just had too much. Would an early exit and 5 months of a layup be such a bad thing? Too many big players have gone missing for critical parts of each game. We will need to gel like a cohesive unit to win this game and there in lies the problem in my view. I don't think we have an unbreakable bond.I really am praying to god that we give the red hand a little trimming but it will be a tough ride.

Head also saying Tyrone, tbh. Will go in with a lot of hope, but I don't know where the form is going to come from. Kind of feel like maybe Rochford needs another year to really figure things out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Now is not the time to bend the knee to the red hands keep the faith lads it will come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Good man Tom! What a shoulder.

https://youtu.be/humAC8l9aFs

The South and West Mayo team won the Tedd Webb cup last night. Congrats lads

PARlance wrote: »
    Good man Tom! What a shoulder.

https://youtu.be/humAC8l9aFs

Have criticised Tom in the past so I have, often thought he was a short a yard of pace but man it would be nice to have him as an option today if the defence is creaking.

I hope the management team watched the last three league meetings when we came unstuck against Tyrone. The one that sticks out for me was 2015 when the blanket defence ruled strong in castlebar and we couldn't penetrate it.

Here is hoping the Juniors have a great game. We have played two all Ireland finals this year and won two so hopefully they keep it going :-) . Looking forward to seeing a few future senior stars in action, Flanagan, Coen, Akram etc.

Hardly got a wink of sleep
    Feels like the final today not a quarter
    Will be very very nervous until I hear it confirmed Diarmuid is starting. Above all days and all teams his presence is vital today. It tips the scales in our favour . If he isn't .....

Power Paddy is giving COC to score the first goal and Mayo to win by 70 mins at a massive 14-1.

Beautiful morning here in the capital after a restless night's sleep.Safe journey to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Yeah . Waking up this morning knowing it's a different trip to Croke park today. Right up the with last years semis.
    Today will be either a defining turn around in our years campaign or and I hope not, the knives might just be out and sharpened. My gut feeling is the former . This team just did not have a focus until now whilst Tyrone have had to be at 90 percent through most of the Ulster campaign .

Folks ahead of tomorrow's two All Ireland Quarter Final between @Mayogaa & @TyroneGaaLive & Dublin v Donegal.
    We have been asked to join in on a minutes silence tomorrow to remember Jessica Needham( aged 8), who sadly passed away this week due to a farming accident in Islandeady.
    So on the 8th minute during both Quarter Final matches, we would like if all supporters could show respect by joining in on the minute silence. The moments silence will show that we as supporters are thinking of her family at this very difficult time.

Ascii wrote: »
    Power Paddy is giving COC to score the first goal and Mayo to win by 70 mins at a massive 14-1.

Think I'll have some of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Hope more than expectation but **** it that's when Mayo tend to produce those special moments at HQ. Game day. Maigh Eo abu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Need to swap a upper cusack for a nally ticket, if anyone is interested pm me

Folks ahead of tomorrow's two All Ireland Quarter Final between @Mayogaa & @TyroneGaaLive & Dublin v Donegal.
    We have been asked to join in on a minutes silence tomorrow to remember Jessica Needham( aged 8), who sadly passed away this week due to a farming accident in Islandeady.
    So on the 8th minute during both Quarter Final matches, we would like if all supporters could show respect by joining in on the minute silence. The moments silence will show that we as supporters are thinking of her family at this very difficult time.

Hope it's respected by all parties in respect of this heartbreaking tragedy. In my opinion it may be hard to get people to stay silenced for a minute in the middle of a game when the play is progressing, maybe a solid round of applause for a minute would be a better way to acknowledge this heartbreaking incident. RIP Jessica.

Yeah, an awful tragedy and it would be great to see it acknowledged but I don't think a minute's silence mid match is feasible. A round of applause might work better.

Who is asking for that? I hope it's official and not just someone on facebook looking for likes.
    It's a downright stupid way to show respect (for what was a tragic loss for the family... have they been asked their thoughts I wonder).

Ascii wrote: »
    Hope it's respected by all parties in respect of this heartbreaking tragedy. In my opinion it may be hard to get people to stay silenced for a minute in the middle of a game when the play is progressing, maybe a solid round of applause for a minute would be a better way to acknowledge this heartbreaking incident. RIP Jessica.

Just seen that it's a request from Mayo GAA Banter Page. It's sick using this tragedy to get Facebook likes. I highly doubt that they've consulted the family and it's not going to be respected as only a fraction of the stadium will know about it.

They are absolute idiots. And I'm not having the "it's a nice gesture thing". It's an attention thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

Mayo for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Just seen that it's a request from Mayo GAA Banter Page. It's sick using this tragedy to get Facebook likes. I highly doubt that they've consulted the family and it's not going to be respected as only a fraction of the stadium will know about it.

They are absolute idiots. And I'm not having the "it's a nice gesture thing". It's an attention thing.

I really wish they would fuk off. A page ran by chimps.

I reckon we'll win today by four.

Four is my prediction today provided of course Diarmuid is indeed ok

Mayo by 4, Donegal by 2.

I've a feeling the championship is going to explode into life today.

Mayo by 4, Donegal by 2.

I've a feeling the championship is going to explode into life today.

Sending the red hand and the Sky blues packing in one afternoon will rightly blow the championship wide open.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement