Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Ascii wrote: »
    Sending the red hand and the Sky blues packing in one afternoon will rightly blow the championship wide open.

It's Tipps to lose after today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

the shades and lotion needed today lads, she's a hot one in Dumcondra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Standing here baking in a beer garden by Croke Park. We're in for a hot one today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

PressRun wrote: »
    Standing here baking in a beer garden by Croke Park. We're in for a hot one today.

So am I :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Looking for a Nally stand ticket of anyone has one pm me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Well done the U21 hurlers.... Not looking good for the Juniors!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Score update please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

2-10 to 0-4 to Kerry. Mayo started well but have gone altogether the last 20 mins. 2 soft goals conceded, cleaned out at midfield and ball breaking down constantly going forward. Looks like a rout on the cards...

No soft goals early
    Be within a few points after 50
    Bench wins it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Alan Dillon at FB ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Dillon and Doherty in for Keane and Regan. Maybe Vaughan into Fullback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

anyone got a working link? please pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

jesus playing volleyball inthe middle.. do they ever fookin learn that could be a levelling point.

well that was something. what a last 4 min.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

My nerves are shot

yeah peter, but if tyrone had kept the head instead of sledging the ****e out of every player they might have kept big sean on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mayo.
    6 provincial championships in a row.

5 x Connacht
    1 x Ulster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Nerves absolutely shattered!!

I think I speak for us all when I say we'd have taken a semi final against a Division 3 outfit after been beaten by Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

That's it that's ****i1ng it what a win my god my heart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Not exactly a classic but so what. Roll on Tipp, be interesting to see the bookies odds for the semi. The stars might be aligning our way this year though. DOC had a bad game, we can still move up a gear I hope.

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Not exactly a classic but so what. Roll on Tipp, be interesting to see the bookies odds for the semi. The stars might be aligning our way this year though. DOC had a bad game, we can still move up a gear I hope.

SOS, Diarmuid, Regan, Moran, Dotherty will all have to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Still in shock a bit, never been more nervous in the last few minutes of a game in my life.

Semi will be interesting for me, one side of the family is all Mayo, the other all Tipp, first time they've met in a big game in my lifetime as well, as far as I can remember anyway.

Mayo all the way of course though, goes without saying.

The 21st of the month cannot come soon enough. :)

All Ireland semi and still haven't hit 5th gear, I'll take that. Nearly becoming optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Unbelievable scenes at the end there, just pure relief and joy.

All the begrudgers outside the county and the cynics inside the county, shove that up your crack pipe. We came out of a dogfight on top today against a very well organised team. All of the lads showed up and stood up when it mattered - which to me was no surprise. Lots to discuss and work on but we won't worry about that tonight. A much needed boost for us with all the smack that was talked about our demise all year.

Bring on Tipp.

Remember all those Rumours from the "camp" everyone was so eager to tell us about after Galway defeat .........and yet again nobody knew what Rochford had up his sleeve!
    Remember that next year when we lose a game

• Advertisement

Anyone know when the semi tickets go on sale? I know there won't be any problems getting them but I'd rather decent seats this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

martyos121 wrote: »
    Anyone know when the semi tickets go on sale? I know there won't be any problems getting them but I'd rather decent seats this time.

On sale now on tickets .ie €40

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    On sale now on tickets .ie €40

Only being offered 301 and 327 lol.

Needed a good laugh after the nerves I had a couple of hours ago.

EDIT: Just remembered they were on sale already before the match, that explains it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Super win. There was no hiding today and they played for the full game. A perfect game for the guys and we are starting to turn the screw....

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

martyos121 wrote: »
    Only being offered 301 and 327 lol.

Needed a good laugh after the nerves I had a couple of hours ago.

EDIT: Just remembered they were on sale already before the match, that explains it.

surely not all gone bar 301? hopefully a bit closer to centre will come up.

• Advertisement

The best thing about Mayo's wins this year is the bitches who can't hide how sickened they are every time we pull it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Doc was carrying I'd say

Higgins needs to stay in the backs now
    PLEASE

A lot of positives tonight. We played more as a team than I've seen in a while and showed hunger. Lee Keegan and Aidan O'Shea had good games and Cillian O'Connor did his part too. I thought management did really well - they made great use of the bench in a timely manner and got the match ups spot on. They clearly had their homework done. We can quibble about the riskiness of choosing to play keep ball when only one point up and five or six minutes still on the clock, but at that point it was up to Tyrone to come out to win and they had opportunities, but didn't take them. I'm happy to get by by the skin of our teeth. An easy win would have meant very little. Good work done today, plenty more to improve upon for the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

PARlance wrote: »
    Who is asking for that? I hope it's official and not just someone on facebook looking for likes.
    It's a downright stupid way to show respect (for what was a tragic loss for the family... have they been asked their thoughts I wonder).

Apologies for posting same it never came into my head that the family of the sadly deceased wouldn't have been consulted,poor judgement.No offence was intended.It had seemed to be a nice idea.

Anyway out in the capital basking in a great win after a much improved performance.Muigheo Abu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Perhaps the work of Tony McEntee at play on the tactical approach. Using Higgins at the back, Dillon for 1st half, Parsons for 2nd worked well. Keegan smothered Cavanagh and wasn't shy at letting him have it when needed. He was held scoreless and didn't add anything worthwhile to Tyrone's game.

Tyrone's O'Neill and McAliskey did no damage. It was Harte and Donnelly.

Thought McNamee behaviour throughout was inflammatory. Fair play to Andy and Aiden for not taking the bait.

The sense of accomplishment at the end was nice contrast to the crestfallen Tyrone team. They were devasted.

Tipperary going to be a interesting clash.

km79 wrote: »
    Can't believe it's only Tuesday im BUZZING for Saturday . I think a LOT of people inside and outside the county will be eating humble pie
    " To never have considered losing as if to win is by our choosing "
    That's how we should all be feeling as I'm sure the players are. They will not be fearing Tyrone.
    UP MAYO

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Deserved win overall imo.

Morans movement was brilliant in the first half. I know he can't see out the 70 but he should be a nailed on starter and not impact sub. Against teams with not so many defenders he'd do more damage the form he's in.

Tyrone bitching about 'targeting' is actually funny its that hypocritical.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Apologies for posting same it never came into my head that the family of the sadly deceased wouldn't have been consulted,poor judgement.No offence was intended.It had seemed to be a nice idea.

Anyway out in the capital basking in a great win after a much improved performance.Muigheo Abu.

No need to apologise at all. Enjoy the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Quote from the examiner paper "That O’Connor free is worth noting since it came about through a second yellow card for Seán Cavanagh. It will be an awful shame if his last act in Croke Park is a slow walk to the sideline. It was noticeable afterwards that Andy Moran and Keith Higgins went to commiserate with Cavanagh as he trudged to the dressing room"

Would make you proud to be a Mayo supporter. What a bunch of lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I managed to get to the last two games today.

I thought Mayo improved again. AOS good first half, bunched for a lot of the second half.
    Parsons was great initially when he came on but faded. I don't know why he moved out to the wing so much, he was very effective when he ran at them directly and it was a great first ten minutes of the second half.
    Thought Vaughan was disappointing. Andy Moran won high and low ball today he ended up being the ball winning Mayo man inside i thought he came off too early, he'd a better second half than AOS

Keegan was very good today great to see him back. Thought Dillon was below par and Regan disappointing when he came on. Andy and Cillian looked good today. Getting the Andy Moran and AOS linkup finely tuned could be fruitful. Obviously DOC was still bunched.

I still don't get McLaughlin in the defensive roll. He appears to have limited the scope to preventing goals, does not engage wirh lads popping up to score points.

I don't think tip have much chance

One thing I think that AOSs stamina needs to be addressed, he consistently finishes up poorly imo. I'd nearly consider him a half time sub

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Stoner wrote: »

I thought Mayo improved again. AOS good first half, bunched for a lot of the second half.
    Parsons was great initially when he came on but faded. I don't know why he moved out to the wing so much, he was very effective when he ran at them directly and it was a great first ten minutes of the second half.
    Thought Vaughan was disappointing. Andy Moran won high and low ball today he ended up being the ball winning Mayo man inside i thought he came off too early, he'd a better second half than AOS

Keegan was very good today great to see him back. Thought Dillon was below par and Regan disappointing when he came on. Andy and Cillian looked good today. Getting the Andy Moran and AOS linkup finely tuned could be fruitful. Obviously DOC was still bunched.

I still don't get McLaughlin in the defensive roll. He appears to have limited the scope to preventing goals, does not engage wirh lads popping up to score points.

One thing I think that AOSs stamina needs to be addressed, he consistently finishes up poorly imo. If nearly consider him a half time sub

Yeah i noticed O' Shea too. I've been giving out for ages about how he's not able to track runners but now i honestly think he's carrying an injury.

I watched the warm up closely and lads were patting him on the back trying to gee him up it seemed. Was thinking thats strange for an experienced player. Soon became apparent why after the first 10 minutes. He'd amble around if the ball wasn't near him. Body language screamed i'm carrying a niggle. In that context he might actually be performing heroics. Had a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

corny wrote: »
    Yeah i noticed O' Shea too. I've been giving out for ages about how he's not able to track runners but now i honestly think he's carrying an injury.

I watched the warm up closely and lads were patting him on the back trying to gee him up it seemed. Was thinking thats strange for an experienced player. Soon became apparent why after the first 10 minutes. He'd amble around if the ball wasn't near him. Body language screamed i'm carrying a niggle. In that context he might actually be performing heroics. Had a good game.

Ya but in fairness, aos covered alot of groundtoo. Great to win a close game.

SOS, Diarmuid, Regan, Moran, Dotherty will all have to improve.

Agree with you regarding all names excepting Andy Moran who for large portions of the game was outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Watchee it back on sky3 late last night . The game looked very competitive.it was 24 degrees and heavy out there . Well done .
    Mcgough got a lot of stick from us but looking back he was right 70 to 80 percent of the time . Very hard to see real time where the foul is .

Were Tyrone that good that Mayo completely dismantled their team to adjust to tyrones style . How now so we revert back to an attacking team . Or should this be continued . For the love of Mayo and football I hope we go back . The holy grail is more important but this morn I'd take a 10 point loosing margin to Dublin in an entertaining shootout . Maybe in clear reflection in a couple of weeks I'll have a different answer .
    Have to mention the final whistle . My god you could bite the air with the Mayo chants. players too reflected this . For once the shackles are off this bunch . It must have been a weight around their necks from last October till now to get back to where they were this time last August.

seligehgit wrote:
    Agree with you regarding all names excepting Andy Moran who for large portions of the game was outstanding.

He's having a very good season. I would have left him on yesterday

Stoner wrote: »

One thing I think that AOSs stamina needs to be addressed, he consistently finishes up poorly imo. I'd nearly consider him a half time sub

Keegan was simply outstanding today,that score from the Hogan stand side with his ciotog was a play of great beauty.

Tom Parsons needs to start in midfield for Donal Vaughan,no contest.I thought Seamus O Shea was below par although he win some vital kickouts towards the end.

Bit harsh on Aidan Stoner,although I'll have to watch the game back.

That was Diarmuid O Connor's poorest performance of the year,I am confident he will please god have to two more immense performances in the tank.

Defensively we look sounder excepting that guilt edged goal chance Tyrone squandered.Kudos David Clarke.Those short kick outs continue to be a high risk strategy.

I'm afraid I'm in agreement with those who felt trying to protect a one point game for six minutes was the wrong way to go.Go for the kill,have confidence in your own ability.Tyrone ended up spurning four great opportunities often through needless turnovers.

I firmly believe the slightly better team won,David Gough did a job on us in the first half and unforced errors,indiscipline and poor refereeing decisions kept Tyrone in the game in the first half.

Two wonderful examples of tackling by our own Brendan Harrison in the first half over beside us on the Cusack stand side in the first half and a Tyrone lad in the second half as Aidan O Shea prepared to pull the trigger.

Great credit to our defence on the day.

On a final note it was a sad to possibly see the great Sean Kavanagh leave the stage on such a sour note.He has been a wonderful exponent of all the skills of gaelic football.

seligehgit wrote:
    Bit harsh on Aidan Stoner,although I'll have to watch the game back.

Maybe but he faded I'd have to clear up when it happened too saying it was for the whole second half is inaccurate. Note I didn't say he went missing towards the end. What I'm saying is he's needed more towards the end of the game IMO, whatever has to be done to make that happen should because it's a boost for the opposition when he's subbed or has become so much less effective.

He took a lot of abuse yesterday, but he's a very strong athlete, at one stage he'd broken a few tackles released the ball and Niall Sludden ran in to him and he floored him with a stationary shoulder too.

Good point on Harrison two solid games in a row he's a very good blocker alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

finisklin wrote: »
    Tipperary going to be a interesting clash.

Yes indeed Tipp will run at Mayo with pace and power and they if they are fouled Tipp have the free takers to punish them.

Tipperary will take the game to Mayo. They have no fear after putting away Galway by nine points.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement