Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Delighted with the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Apart from the MANY MANY positives from management , players and supporters alike I have to comment on one thing that is getting worse and it does us no good.
    Every single game now when one or 2 decisions are perceived to go against us the really loud booing of the ref AND the subsequent free taker begins and continues for the game . It has become a theme in a lot of games this year in particular from us and it's very unsporting .
    It stems back to Cormac Reilky in Limerick I think myself but it's past time to move on ! The players have.
    Anyway I was due one negative post after being so positive when many others were predicting a loss :D
    Up mayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Really great win yesterday.

It was the kind of game they have struggled in previously v the likes of Tyrone.

Though Cillian had a great game.

Will rewatch it in the week and have a better idea of how it went.

Let's be honest and say that Mayo will beat Tipp, I'm full sure they will.

Tipp are not at the same level as Mayo, they will not be able to live with the intensity that Mayo can bring for 70 mins, nor will they have the bench to compete with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I see that Akram was playing with the juniors yesterday, came on as a sub.

No matter how successful a Mayo player can be the opportunity to lose an All Ireland final is never far away.

Really great win yesterday.

It was the kind of game they have struggled in previously v the likes of Tyrone.

Though Cillian had a great game.

Will rewatch it in the week and have a better idea of how it went.

Let's be honest and say that Mayo will beat Tipp, I'm full sure they will.

Tipp are not at the same level as Mayo, they will not be able to live with the intensity that Mayo can bring for 70 mins, nor will they have the bench to compete with them.
    fully agree and the way our middle sector performed yday is the key. Fippnbeat galway not because their forwards were brilliant buf because they got a constant supply if ball due to Galway being wiped out in midfield!
    it's probably fairly likely the Bring A Friend option be available for this one? I'm thinking of bringing the 5 year old too to try and start the brainwashing early in life :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Sore head this morning. Can't wait to have another look at it in peace and sobriety.

Despite one or two needlessly risky passes towards the end, I thought it was the perfect way to close it out. Hopefully these teams that set up ultra defensively take a look at the 4 semi finalists and rethink their strategy. That said, it did make for an enthralling game.

The pints were flowing so no analysis as of yet but a few things stood out. I thought Tryone were excellent in the tackle, we need to up our game (to previous year's levels) in that area. Harte is some footballer but Keegan stole the show, those two late points off either foot were unreal. He was all over Harte like a rash for the last 15 too. I'm not sure I would like him half as much if he was from another county, he's some .... but he's ours.

The biggest turning point of the season was starting Andy against Fermanagh imo. It's like we've unearthed a 33 year old gem.

I think any criticism of Aidan is harsh, he had a big game and was targeted. He won some great ball in the first half when he went inside for a bit. If you compare him to Tryone's big lad then he was head and shoulders above Kavanagh.

Cillian seems to be peaking nicely, Diarmuid was off form but he has plenty in reserve. I could mention one main negative in terms of one of our players but I'll wait to watch it again.

PARlance wrote: »
    Sore head this morning. Can't wait to have another look at it in peace and sobriety.

Despite one or two needlessly risky passes towards the end, I thought it was the perfect way to close it out. Hopefully these teams that set up ultra defensively take a look at the 4 semi finalists and rethink their strategy. That said, it did make for an enthralling game.

The pints were flowing so no analysis as of yet but a few things stood out. I thought Tryone were excellent in the tackle, we need to up our game (to previous year's levels) in that area. Harte is some footballer but Keegan stole the show, those two late points off either foot were unreal. He was all over Harte like a rash for the last 15 too. I'm not sure I would like him half as much if he was from another county, he's some .... but he's ours.

The biggest turning point of the season was starting Andy against Fermanagh imo. It's like we've unearthed a 33 year old gem.

I think any criticism of Aidan is harsh, he had a big game and was targeted. He won some great ball in the first half when he went inside for a bit. If you compare him to Tryone's big lad then he was head and shoulders above Kavanagh.

Cillian seems to be peaking nicely, Diarmuid was off form but he has plenty in reserve. I could mention one main negative in terms of one of our players but I'll wait to watch it again.
    I don't understand any criticism of AOS from today to be honest
    He kept it very simple when he gof the ball which is my only problem with him at times
    He gets through a lot of unseen work due to him not having one fixed position. A bit like Murphy for Donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Not exactly a classic but so what. Roll on Tipp, be interesting to see the bookies odds for the semi. The stars might be aligning our way this year though. DOC had a bad game, we can still move up a gear I hope.

PP has Mayo at 1/5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PARlance wrote:

True. He's in great condition stronger than I've seen him
    I felt he was a bit isolated at times yesterday, he had to do a lot of work to try to make it a scoring opportunity, I thought someone could have run into the space in front of him, give him an option of a lay off, you'd get more out if him too as it would be less draining for him.

I'll have one more go at explaining my thoughts on AOS he was excellent for a long stretch of the game, far more impact than Murphy or Cavanagh. My point related to his stamina it would be very difficult to put that shift in for the whole game. I'm questioning when is it needed most.

For example in games I've been very interested in against Dublin . He's always given everything he can when there's still 15 minutes to go.
    No question that he's targeted, a great ball winner, shows for the keeper, can score long range points, occupies the oppositions best men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭cjmc11

For the love of Mayo and football I hope we go back . The holy grail is more important but this morn I'd take a 10 point loosing margin to Dublin in an entertaining shootout . Maybe in clear reflection in a couple of weeks I'll have a different answer.

I think 99.9 per cent of mayo would take a 0-01 to 0-00 win over any team just to get over the line and finally win Sam. I don't think too many Donegal or Tyrone fans were too annoyed about blanket defences and the like when they were celebrating in late September, all that mattered was the win. We've had enough moral victories to last us a lifetime, we just need to win it, playing ugly or otherwise.

A good job done yesterday, onwards and upwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Kalyke wrote: »
    PP has Mayo at 1/5

Boylesports have them @ 2/9.
    Handicap is -5 which is @ Evens. Looks a good bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

km79 wrote: »
    I don't understand any criticism of AOS from today to be honest
    He kept it very simple when he gof the ball which is my only problem with him at times
    He gets through a lot of unseen work due to him not having one fixed position. A bit like Murphy for Donegal

God no. They don't go invisible. One can see their work.

Murphy made nothing but half hearted attempts at work yesterday. The only thing he did with conviction was punch Fenton and clatter Davy Byrne off the ball. Nothing like O'Shea.

corny wrote: »
    God no. They don't go invisible. One can see their work.

Murphy made nothing but half hearted attempts at work yesterday. The only thing he did with conviction was punch Fenton and clatter Davy Byrne off the ball. Nothing like O'Shea.

Didn't see the donegal game yday
    Will have to wait for the Sunday game tonight
    And boy am I looking forward to it :)

Can the replay of the match be watched on SkyGo?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Kalyke wrote: »
    Can the replay of the match be watched on SkyGo?

Yes - but only outside of Ireland/UK.

glack wrote: »
    Yes - but only outside of Ireland/UK.
    Do you have a link please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Loved the game, very hard physical match, very exciting, nearly had a stroke near the end (along with most of my surrounding fellow supporters). :D and am still wreaked from it. Proud of the teams effort all round.

Dublin were away with it in the first half with Donegal but I thought that Dublin looked vulnerable to Donegal pressure in the second half. Dublin may be fit but are they match fit as a team. Serious pressure on them in the last 20 minutes might just be their undoing.

The noise from the hill was deafening when the Donegal keeper was taking kickouts, surprised he could think with it. Bit of an advantage there for them

Anyone know when the tickets for the semi final will be going on sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

cjmc11 wrote:
    Anyone know when the tickets for the semi final will be going on sale?

Already on sale. Tickets.ie etc

Won't be a sellout.

DDC1990 wrote: »

Won't be a sellout.

Thanks, had a look on the gaa website and their not up on that, be handy get tickets alright.

• Advertisement

Actually had a look on tickets.ie there and there not on sale either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

cjmc11 wrote:
    Actually had a look on tickets.ie there and there not on sale either.

Oh weird. They were on Sale during the match yesterday.

They'll be back up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Stoner wrote: »
    True. He's in great condition stronger than I've seen him
    I felt he was a bit isolated at times yesterday, he had to do a lot of work to try to make it a scoring opportunity, I thought someone could have run into the space in front of him, give him an option of a lay off, you'd get more out if him too as it would be less draining for him.

I'll have one more go at explaining my thoughts on AOS he was excellent for a long stretch of the game, far more impact than Murphy or Cavanagh. My point related to his stamina it would be very difficult to put that shift in for the whole game. I'm questioning when is it needed most.

For example in games I've been very interested in against Dublin . He's always given everything he can when there's still 15 minutes to go.
    No question that he's targeted, a great ball winner, shows for the keeper, can score long range points, occupies the oppositions best men.

It is interesting Andy was interviewed on a Mayo News podcast recently and attributed much in the way of his conditioning to his change of job. He was a rep for Mayo Roscommon hospice and same entailed a lot of car travel.

Now he's opened his new gym,giving him a better means of improving his conditioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Would just like to add that Brendan Harrison has been a great addition. Thought he put in a great shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

PressRun wrote: »
    Would just like to add that Brendan Harrison has been a great addition. Thought he put in a great shift.

I have to agree he has really come on since the Galway game. I didn't think he played that well against Galway but he has got better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

seligehgit wrote: »
    It is interesting Andy was interviewed on a Mayo News podcast recently and attributed much in the way of his conditioning to his change of job. He was a rep for Mayo Roscommon hospice and same entailed a lot of car travel.

Now he's opened his new gym,giving him a better means of improving his conditioning.

I would put alot of the improvement in Mayo's performance down to Andy starting. He makes himself always available with the runs he makes. I honestly believe we would have won the AL if he didn't get that injury.

Fantastic mayo player and a brilliant attitude.

DDC1990 wrote: »

Won't be a sellout.

Just under 35,000 at KK v W'ford today. I'd say around 45,000 for our semi.

Just under 35,000 at KK v W'ford today. I'd say around 45,000 for our semi.

I'd say that if Tipp beat Galway to get to the hurling final then the SF attendance will be even lower. It will be a great opportunity to bring the small kids to an All Ireland Semi Final. One that we should hopefully win.

cocoman wrote: »
    I'd say that if Tipp beat Galway to get to the hurling final then the SF attendance will be even lower. It will be a great opportunity to bring the small kids to an All Ireland Semi Final. One that we should hopefully win.

that's exactly my thinking
    bringing the 5 year old
    and the wife to mind the 5 year old :D

• Advertisement

I've watched the match back and I'll eat my hat,David Gough did quite a good job considering how niggley a contest it was.I didn't think it during match time!

Echo previous posters sentiments,yesterday was a return to the old Aidan O Shea that we were so badly missing.

Little mention of the excellent performance of Cillian O Connor,some great scores from play with good movement.His free taking was back to it's best,very unlucky with that diagonal 45.

Paul Collins mentioned on the championship show on Today FM that Tipp beat us in the All Ireland semi final of 1920 1-5 to 1-0.They beat Dublin in the final.For a so called hurling country Tipp have won 4 All Irelands although their last one was in 1920.A greater famine than ours!

that's exactly my thinking
    bringing the 5 year old
    and the wife to mind the 5 year old :D

......and to drive home after you have a few beers ☺☺☺

cocoman wrote: »
    ......and to drive home after you have a few beers ☺☺☺

I have yet to break that part to her ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Aidan O'Shea got first score which set him up nicely for game and his confidence.

Mayo News Podcast

AUDIO Football Podcast Mayo v Tyrone review

Rob Murphy talks to former Mayo footballer David Brady,John Gunnigan of the Mayo GAA Blog,and Mike Finnerty,Daniel Carey and Edwin McGreal of The Mayo News.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/listen/football-podcast/28313-audio-football-podcast-11-mayo-v-tyrone-review

I see that Akram was playing with the juniors yesterday, came on as a sub.

No matter how successful a Mayo player can be the opportunity to lose an All Ireland final is never far away.

It was very disappointing fare from the juniors,only for the clanger by the Kerry keeper the scoreline could have been a lot worse.None of the under 21 lads impressed greatly.Nobody put their hands up for inclusion in any future senior panel.

Eoin O Donoghue and Eddie Doran struggled greatly,Brian Reape failed to impress.Andrew Farrell and Michael Forde ditto.Thoroughly disappointing display.Matthew Flanagan was outstanding in goal as required and is the heir apparent to the number one jersey.Akram put a little bit more zip into proceedings whence he appeared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:

We should hold onto this post the next time professionalism comes up.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

It was very disappointing fare from the juniors,only for the clanger by the Kerry keeper the scoreline could have been a lot worse.None of the under 21 lads impressed greatly.Nobody put their hands up for inclusion in any future senior panel.

Eoin O Donoghue and Eddie Doran struggled greatly,Brian Reape failed to impress.Andrew Farrell and Michael Forde ditto.Thoroughly disappointing display.Matthew Flanagan was outstanding in goal as required and is the heir apparent to the number one jersey.Akram put a little bit more zip into proceedings whence he appeared.
    Eddie Doran played no part.
    He was taken to hospital Friday night suffering from appendicitis and had surgery Saturday morning.

I've said this many many times during games
    Aidan o Shea should NEVER be let near a free of any description
    He is always hovering around them
    That last one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Agreed. I've seen him fluffing short frees a few times. He lacks a bit of composure for it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Wasn't as bad after I watched it again but could have went very wrong, would have been the worst way possible to lose a game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I've watched the match back and I'll eat my hat,David Gough did quite a good job considering how niggley a contest it was.

Agreed, ref was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Stoner wrote: »
    We should hold onto this post the next time professionalism comes up.!

I was in his gym in Castlebar there a few weeks ago, 2 days before 1 of the qualifiers......he was putting me to shame (easily done :) ) with the workout he was doing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Noone seems to have mentioned it but I thought Harrison was outstanding on Saturday, some really important touches to beat forwards to the ball and 1 absolutely brilliant turnover in the first half.

DOC was really struggling, only watched it on tv but I saw at one point in the first half he passed the ball then pulled up to stretch. I was sure he'd be subbed soon after that. Hopefully the few weeks will have him right for Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Agreed, ref was very good.

I thought a couple of frees in the first half were very soft considering the way the game was played and what else was let go but after watching back on TV, apart from these, I thought he had an exceptional game.

Edit: and apart from the free that Morgan missed at the end; would have been very annoyed if that went over...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Noone seems to have mentioned it but I thought Harrison was outstanding on Saturday, some really important touches to beat forwards to the ball and 1 absolutely brilliant turnover in the first half.

DOC was really struggling, only watched it on tv but I saw at one point in the first half he passed the ball then pulled up to stretch. I was sure he'd be subbed soon after that. Hopefully the few weeks will have him right for Tipp.

Harrison was superb and has been since the Galway game (in which I don't think he was as bad as people make out; there was no pressure on a lot of the ball in to his man). Another performance like that and he's heading for an all star. Will have his hands full with Conor Sweeney or Philip Austin though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Padkir wrote: »
    I thought a couple of frees in the first half were very soft considering the way the game was played and what else was let go but after watching back on TV, apart from these, I thought he had an exceptional game.

I thought he had a game overall. Unlike Tyrone, we were fairly poor in the tackle and gave away a lot of soft frees which may not have endeared him to our fans. The majority of who I was with had an issue with him at the time. I still can't see how it was a free in injury time though and it was moved up as soon as he had blown the whistle. Even re-watching it again couldn't remove the "playing for a draw" cynicism I had initially.

Padkir wrote: »
    Harrison was superb and has been since the Galway game (in which I don't think he was as bad as people make out; there was no pressure on a lot of the ball in to his man). Another performance like that and he's heading for an all star. Will have his hands full with Conor Sweeney or Philip Austin though.
    Harrison and durkan were 2 of our best performers which is great to see.
    Diarmuid was nowhere near fit. Was prob left on too long really . So we won without him at his best. Again great to see.
    So again I see LOTS of positive signs that we are well on track and dare I say I would not mind if we won through and it was Kerry we were to face ......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I'm still ripping about the tenner I forgot to put on a mayo Galway double during xmas it was around a crazy price something ng like 50/1 at one stage if I remember correctly.

This year is the year

Come on the yews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

It's great considering that our full back line has been rocked in recent months with injuries to Keane, Barrett and Caff and zippy up the pitch that we Harrison is starting to grow with each game. In my opinion we have loads of cover else where it's good coming into a semi final and final situation that we can nail down a young lad to a particular spot and have confidence that he can cope.....albiet bigger challenges lie ahead.

I would not have been his biggest fan to date but credit where it's due. Is he the only player to start every league and championship game for Mayo this year maybe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

kupus wrote: »
    I'm still ripping about the tenner I forgot to put on a mayo Galway double during xmas it was around a crazy price something ng like 50/1 at one stage if I remember correctly.

This year is the year

Come on the yews.

Hey, less of the Dublin lingo around here. Keep yous comments to yous self :-)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement